NATION

PASSWORD

The Multiverse Compendium [Closed]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

What advice would you have for a newcomer?

(reply in this thread)
50%
I have no advice
50%

Total votes : 28

Sweater Town
Envoy

Founded: Aug 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sweater Town » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:31 pm

Any suggestions on how to draw in people or get things going. I haven't had a RP of my own creation go farther than a few pages in nearly a year, no matter how much energy and time and creativity I pour into them. It's really depressing. Hardly any interest it seems.
Advertising! Had to do it. Please look into my new Time Travel RP!!
A Race Through Time

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:32 pm

Sweater Town wrote:Any suggestions on how to draw in people or get things going. I haven't had a RP of my own creation go farther than a few pages in nearly a year, no matter how much energy and time and creativity I pour into them. It's really depressing. Hardly any interest it seems.

Well, Sweater, Iuess that I could auggest you to make friends with the most comitted roleplayers here on site.
I saw you OPing many times (and I liked your ideas), but I virtually never saw you as a normal RPer. you could try to join an RP by Zark, or Rupudska, or even Nightkill (I would recommend you to him, really.) or other committed roleplayers around there. you would gain precious friends that would most likely join your RPs and remain committed to them.

Your threads aren't bad, it's just lack of commitment of the RPers. You should occasionally threaten the ones that don't post with kicking them from the RP. After that, they either pfficially anounce that they have dropped, or they post again.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:24 am

An idea for aspiring OPs, by the way.

Keep a hell of an active OOC thread. If you build a sort of community and friendship between various rpers in your group, a mutual respect, they are all very much likely to stay in the thread and keep it active and alive. So don't be afraid to go a bit off topic as long as you stay roughly related to the roleplay.

I'll give an example- in my Elfen HIgh, we often start discussing things that are related to the roleplay though not exactly, such as one shots of the backstory (which I keep in the third post of my OOC) and discussions of whether humans would nuke Dys, or how angels reproduce or just fun little discussions about our day at times. As a result, we all know each other and we know the rp's universe very well and we enjoy developing this tremendously.

As a result, Elfen High consistently has high level IC posts as well as an incredibly fast rate of posts because everyone is committed and interested.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:33 am

Added your and Agri's advice to the Compendium.

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:38 am

Esternial wrote:Added your and Agri's advice to the Compendium.

Wow, I should have corrected mine. It's full of spelling errors.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:40 am

Also, unless you're making a dead serious type of rp (which requires very devoted rpers, in my experience), don't be afraid to be silly.

For example, I noted AWRPs fail because they're far too math heavy and not enough humour and frankly, not enough fun. To resolve this, I proceeded to make Simo Hayha Bane.

People inherently love to be silly little fuckers and they also love rule of cool and awesome. With introduction of things like Hayha Bane and the things that the other rpers here were doing (Mish made his President Charlie Chaplin), we kept enough creative freedom to do silly things while remaining otherwise serious and keeping the rp going.

As a result, that AWRP is one of the few absolutely high quality AWRPs that has actually lived.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:41 am

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Also, unless you're making a dead serious type of rp (which requires very devoted rpers, in my experience), don't be afraid to be silly.

For example, I noted AWRPs fail because they're far too math heavy and not enough humour and frankly, not enough fun. To resolve this, I proceeded to make Simo Hayha Bane.

People inherently love to be silly little fuckers and they also love rule of cool and awesome. With introduction of things like Hayha Bane and the things that the other rpers here were doing (Mish made his President Charlie Chaplin), we kept enough creative freedom to do silly things while remaining otherwise serious and keeping the rp going.

As a result, that AWRP is one of the few absolutely high quality AWRPs that has actually lived.

How can you make Simo Haya more awesome than he was?

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:42 am

Agritum wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Also, unless you're making a dead serious type of rp (which requires very devoted rpers, in my experience), don't be afraid to be silly.

How can you make Simo Haya more awesome than he was?

By making him Bane, duh.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:51 am

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Agritum wrote:How can you make Simo Haya more awesome than he was?

By making him Bane, duh.

I must out-awesome you. With something like....Violette Szabo, Audie Murphy, Vasily_Zaitsev and Jack Churchill teaming up as some sort of Avengers team and fighting Nazi occultists and super-soldiers.

With Violette capable to pull out acrobatics like an Assassin's Creed guy, Audie basically being a Badass Normal capable of doing shit that would make Captain America glare in envy, Vasily possessing telekinesis and being capable of manipulating the bullets he shots, and Jack Churchill's sword being a magic claymore. He would also shot dynamite arrows with his bow.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:53 am

Agritum wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:By making him Bane, duh.

I must out-awesome you. With something like....Violette Szabo, Audie Murphy, Vasily_Zaitsev and Jack Churchill teaming up as some sort of Avengers team and fighting Nazi occultists and super-soldiers.

With Violette capable to pull out acrobatics like an Assassin's Creed guy, Audie basically being a Badass Normal capable of doing shit that would make Captain America glare in envy, Vasily possessing telekinesis and being capable of manipulating the bullets he shots, and Jack Churchill's sword being a magic claymore. He would also shot dynamite arrows with his bow.

This is better suited for the Traveller's Centre than here.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:36 am

So, it seems that the next "blockbuster" in P2TM is Far Cry 3, oddly enough (I would have expected more Assassin's Creed 3 RPs, to be honest.)
Seriously, who wouldn't want to relive the same experiencies of the protagonist of that game, racing around a goddamn island full of pirates and mercenaries to save his friends, fighting wild animals and vicious killers and maybe listen to the speeches of that madman of Vaas?

Then you play the game, you enjoy it and randomly think "Oh wow, this is so cool, I wish I could do the same....hey, I can do an RP on NS based on all of this, it would be awesome!". You log on the site, churn out a quite brief OP (I mean, you can re-direct people to the game's wiki and other websites, why bother enriching the OP that much?) and related app, and wait.

Other RPers join it (they too played Far Cry, and think it's so kewl, and so they want to do something like you did, too.) and after some time, you make the IC. Maybe it goes well for the first days, maybe you even manage to get some fun from it.
Then, a week or a little more after, you suddenly feel...deprived.

You really aren't in Far Cry mood anymore. You have started to develope a dislike for tropical islands, and you start to think that Vaas is annoying. No problems, just stop playing the game.
But the RP you just created? Which maybe had some guys that were really commited to the RPing and the story? (if it had any.)

You stop posting, or you post a quick "this is dead" message, and then go back to your business.
Some days after, you have rented Mass Effect at your local Gamestop. Wow, Shepard is such a badass! I would want to be like him so bad....hey, I can make an RP about it on NS!

How To Measure Your Commitment To An RP Idea

Guess what? Be sure that you are not making an RP on a whim, before starting it. Maybe, maybe wait a week or two after you get the feeling you want to do it, and see if you still want to. If you really did, maybe you could have used that time to brainstorm it a little, and make it better.

I mostly use this way to misure my commitment to an idea/RP. After I look up something cool on the interwebs, and decide that I would make an RP after it, I usually start to brainstorm it, think of how to make it and so on.

Flash forward to a month after. If up to that day I have continued to brainstorm it, create a detailed draft for the OOC to be, and setting up an initial storyline, well, why not start it?
If instead I don't even recall why I had that RP idea in the first place, I simply don't give a shit to it, and do something else.
Last edited by Agritum on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:39 am

Agritum wrote:
So, it seems that the next "blockbuster" in P2TM is Far Cry 3, oddly enough (I would have expected more Assassin's Creed 3 RPs, to be honest.)
Seriously, who wouldn't want to relive the same experiencies of the protagonist of that game, racing around a goddamn island full of pirates and mercenaries to save his friends, fighting wild animals and vicious killers and maybe listen to the speeches of that madman of Vaas?

Then you play the game, you enjoy it and randomly think "Oh wow, this is so cool, I wish I could do the same....hey, I can do an RP on NS based on all of this, it would be awesome!". You log on the site, churn out a quite brief OP (I mean, you can re-direct people to the game's wiki and other websites, why bother enriching the OP that much?) and related app, and wait.

Other RPers join it (they too played Far Cry, and think it's so kewl, and so they want to do something like you did, too.) and after some time, you make the IC. Maybe it goes well for the first days, maybe you even manage to get some fun from it.

You really aren't in Far Cry mood anymore. You have started to develope a dislike for tropical islands, and you start to think that Vaas is annoying. No problems, just stop playing the game.
But the RP you just created? Which maybe had some guys that were really commited to the RPing and the story? (if it had any.)

You stop posting, or you post a quick "this is dead" message, and then go back to your business.
Some days after, you have rented Mass Effect at your local Gamestop. Wow, Shepard is such a badass! I would want to be like him so bad....hey, I can make an RP about it on NS!

Guess what? Be sure that you are not making an RP on a whim, before starting it. Maybe, maybe wait a week or two after you get the feeling you want to do it, and see if you still want to. If you really did, maybe you could have used that time to brainstorm it a little, and make it better.

I mostly use this way to misure my commitment to an idea/RP. After I look up something cool on the interwebs, and decide that I would make an RP after it, I usually start to brainstorm it, think of how to make it and so on.

Flash forward to a month after. If up to that day I have continued to brainstorm it, create a detailed draft for the OOC to be, and setting up an initial storyline, well, why not start it?
If instead I don't even recall why I had that RP idea in the first place, I simply don't give a shit to it, and do something else.

I posted similar advice in the Traveller's Café, but it seems I didn't add it to the OP.

I should probably add this under the 'losing interest' part of the guide. I'll get working on it...eventually. I'm taking a break from studying so I don't have time for it right now.

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:42 am

Esternial wrote:
Agritum wrote:

I posted similar advice in the Traveller's Café, but it seems I didn't add it to the OP.

I should probably add this under the 'losing interest' part of the guide. I'll get working on it...eventually. I'm taking a break from studying so I don't have time for it right now.

:hug:

Don't worry, I'm still glad that you like this!

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:03 am

Agritum wrote:
Esternial wrote:I posted similar advice in the Traveller's Café, but it seems I didn't add it to the OP.

:hug:

Don't worry, I'm still glad that you like this!

Well it's good advice. Good advice is good!

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:39 am

Come on, more suggestions!
Or I'll truly believe that me, Night and Esternial are the only talented RPers there :p

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:23 am

Agritum wrote:Come on, more suggestions!
Or I'll truly believe that me, Night and Esternial are the only talented RPers there :p

The only ones with enough time and/or interest, probably.

Zarkenis Ultima
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Zarkenis Ultima » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:26 pm

Esternial wrote:
Agritum wrote:Come on, more suggestions!

The only ones with enough time and/or interest, probably.

The only ones with advice is probably a better way to put it. :P. I'd offer any advice if I could think of any.

Uh, making friends is good?
Hello! I'm your friendly neighborhood roleplayer cat. If you need any help, send me a TG and I'll see what I can do!
P2TM Community Discussion Thread

Escalan Corps-Star Island
Senator

Founded: May 07, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Escalan Corps-Star Island » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:10 pm

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:
Esternial wrote:The only ones with enough time and/or interest, probably.

The only ones with advice is probably a better way to put it. :P. I'd offer any advice if I could think of any.

I second this.

Constaniana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 10, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Constaniana » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:12 am

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:
Esternial wrote:The only ones with enough time and/or interest, probably.

Don't start with the racist jokes right off the bat. Save those for later. *nods*
Join Elementals 3, one of P2TM's oldest high fantasy roleplays, full of adventure, humour, and saving the world. Winner of the Best High Fantasy RP of P2TM twice in a row Choo Choo
Pro: Jesus Christ, Distributism, The Shire, House Atreides
Anti: The Antichrist, Communism, Mordor, House Harkonnen
Ameriganastan wrote:I work hard to think of those ludicrous Eric adventure stories, but I don't think I'd have come up with rescuing a three armed alchemist from goblin-monkeys in a million years.

Kudos.

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:21 am

Constaniana wrote:
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:

Don't start with the racist jokes right off the bat. Save those for later. *nods*

Isn't making friends is good? :eyebrow:
Stormwrath wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:You people can call me...AA. Or Alt.
Or Tito.

I'm calling you "non-aligned comrade."

A proud Nationalist
Winner for Best War RP of 2016

Constaniana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Democratic Socialists

Postby Constaniana » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:53 am

Altito Asmoro wrote:
Constaniana wrote:Don't start with the racist jokes right off the bat. Save those for later. *nods*

What?
Join Elementals 3, one of P2TM's oldest high fantasy roleplays, full of adventure, humour, and saving the world. Winner of the Best High Fantasy RP of P2TM twice in a row Choo Choo
Ameriganastan wrote:I work hard to think of those ludicrous Eric adventure stories, but I don't think I'd have come up with rescuing a three armed alchemist from goblin-monkeys in a million years.

Kudos.

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:54 am

Constaniana wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:

What?

Making friends.

In P2TM.

It's good right?
Stormwrath wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:You people can call me...AA. Or Alt.
Or Tito.

I'm calling you "non-aligned comrade."

A proud Nationalist
Winner for Best War RP of 2016

Constaniana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Democratic Socialists

Postby Constaniana » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:58 am

L
Altito Asmoro wrote:
Constaniana wrote:What?

Making friends.

In P2TM.

It's good right?

Yeah, it's a good idea. My joking suggestion to save the racist jokes for later doesn't contradict that.

Kudos.

Archangelskl Oblast
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 21, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Archangelskl Oblast » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:20 am

I run a fallout forum that take place in Russia,(my home land) and a Mass effect Rp.
Both you control a faction and there recourses and you can even create your own in both if you so desire this, neither go off cannon and are both proven amazing.
Just TG me please for info. :clap:
We'll Bang, OK?

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse