NATION

PASSWORD

So you want to make a RP? (Guide)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

So you want to make a RP? (Guide)

Postby Esternial » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:46 pm

So you want to make a RP?

“Then answer these questions three.” (actually, less or more depending on your answers.)

Where did you get it?

This question is essential in determining whether you should even consider asking people to invest their time into your RP. While the source is relevant to the genre and whatnot, the way this idea “I want to make a RP out of this!” got inside your head is much more relevant. Did you get the idea after several hours of careful deliberation, weighing options and thinking about a raw plot or did you just watch the first season of Game of Thrones and thought it was totally awesome and wanted to play frickin’ Ned Stark?
His head gets chopped off, and so will your RP's, because:
You’ll likely lose interest in it after having your way with it, like some cheap one night stand that’ll wake up in your hotel room, wondering what the fuck she’s doing while you high-five yourself.

Sure, you’ve enjoyed yourself. Yay. But what about the people you dragged into this? Maybe they expected something more? Some people don’t get satisfied as quickly as you do, y’know? If you find yourself poised to play your favourite gaming/TV character, write some bloody fanfiction.

On the other hand, if you’re convinced you won’t lose interest along the way (be honest to yourself) then I guess you could give it a shot and ask us to invest our time into your idea.

Note: Look, we all know you can’t always be active every day of the week. So keep your player updated. If you’re going to be gone for a while, put your RP on hold. Contrary to popular belief, you don’t have to rush these things, or someone will end up disappointed. Don’t act as if you don’t know what I’m talking about. Sure as hell wasn’t you.

So do you have a plot, somewhat of a story?

YES

This means you’ve laid out some tracks for this RP to ride on. While that’s good, make sure you don’t railroad your PC’s through the story as if they’re visiting the zoo. We want to kick those tigers in the face, man! Be prepared to compromise, break down a few walls and expand your living room to your participants’ suggestions. This doesn’t mean you have to get rid of your entire plot, but maybe allow people some leeway between essential locations? Maybe steer them in the right direction from time to time, preferably without going full-dictator on their asses. So if you planned the next big plot twist to occur like one week later IC’ly, maybe stretch it out a bit so your participants can take in the sweet scent of freedom before they move on. Like a lunch break.

The essence is that you’ll have to find a common ground on which both you and your participants feel comfortable in. But hey, if they don’t complain you don’t have to do that!

Also, let them gave their occasional personal side-plots. This isn’t some linear-RPG, right? It’s a blend between open-world and story-driven roleplay. Or at least that’ the blend I like. Maybe you like your coffee dark, in which case you pitch it first and see how everyone reacts.

(Don’t reveal any juicy plot twists, though!)

NO

A background story, then?

YES

So you’ve sort of created the world and you’ll drop the characters in it, free to roam and muck around as they please? It’s the recipe for a great collaborative RP, because it puts both you and your participants on even ground when it comes to development of any plot elements, which some people tend to like. The characters all have their own stories which drive the RP, as well as a whole sandbox world for them to play it. As an OP your role here will be mainly as an arbiter, because your participants will likely take up the task as storyteller. It makes your job pretty comfortable, just ask Nightkill. Granted, allowing everyone to form the story might result in conflict, so keep an eye out for trouble brewing in the OOC and/or IC

NO

Then what the hell are you doing here?

I dunno...I was looking for a soda.

*sigh*

Note: If any of you have something to add to this, I'd greatly appreciate it. Other tips that might help possible OPs figure things out would also be greatly appreciated. Constructive criticism is also welcome, I'm not the greatest of guide makers.

And yes, you may ask questions.
Last edited by Esternial on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:18 pm

Question: Where the hell did your llama avatar go?
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:41 pm

SaintB wrote:Question: Where the hell did your llama avatar go?

I gave it some time off to spend the holidays with friends and family.

It'll be back.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:04 pm

My style of OPing is very comfy and simple, just be sure to have good self-control and occasionally remind people this isn't a bloody democracy. :p
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Return to Portal to the Multiverse