NATION

PASSWORD

Houses of Thault: Character-Driven Storytelling (OOC/OPEN)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Odith
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:51 pm

Firstaria wrote:
Odith wrote:
This Dark Brotherhood? No, I wouldn't compare House Darab to that.

Not that, I mean a shadow organization, like an underground mafia.

I suppose you could interpret it that way, but at the same time much of Garmorgian society has a mafia-like quality -- "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" and "It sure would be a shame if something bad were to happen to this expensive vase."
"Anybody who is stupid enough to want to be remembered deserves to be forgotten right now."
-Gore Vidal

My nation is a caricature. Philosophically, I'm a cooperative anarchist. I live in the United States, though, so in practice I just vote Democrat and call it good. Political Compass.

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 29, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Then Darab it is.
OVERLORD Daniel Mercury of Firstaria
Original Author of SC #5 and SC #30

San Monteriano
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby San Monteriano » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:25 pm

Is there any physical description of the Garmorgians? Like average height, skin tone, facial markings or any other distinctive characteristics or physical traits?
Monarch: Caterina I, HRDM
Prime Minister: Cristina S'Forza (PD)
Capital: San Monteriano (city)
National Language: Italian; English
Demonym: San Monteriani/Monterianese
RP Population: 62.5 million
Anthem
Cosmopoles wrote:
Tunasai wrote:Why would he make this up though?

Can I interest you in these magic beans I'm selling?

Ceannairceach wrote:If I were optimistic, I'd never be pleasantly surprised.

Wisconsin9 wrote:Every vegetarian and vegan in the world is sitting back and laughing cruelly at you right now. Or at least one is. Eh, close enough.

Tagmatium wrote:Yes - anything else is wishful thinking or wilful ignorance.

Without the EU, the UK is nothing but a backwater with delusions of grandeur and a history of empire.

"RENLY IS NOT RIGHT!" - Galbart Glover

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:59 pm

San Monteriano wrote:Is there any physical description of the Garmorgians? Like average height, skin tone, facial markings or any other distinctive characteristics or physical traits?

Excellent question. I haven't posted anything in that respect yet, but do have notes. I will try to get something up tonight or tomorrow.
"Anybody who is stupid enough to want to be remembered deserves to be forgotten right now."
-Gore Vidal

My nation is a caricature. Philosophically, I'm a cooperative anarchist. I live in the United States, though, so in practice I just vote Democrat and call it good. Political Compass.

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:29 pm

San Monteriano wrote:Is there any physical description of the Garmorgians? Like average height, skin tone, facial markings or any other distinctive characteristics or physical traits?

Garmorgian Physical Characteristics

Build: Large and dense with ample body fat as well as muscle. Average weight for males is between 165 and 190 pounds; average weight for females is between 150 to 175 pounds. Males have large hands and long legs; heavy brows; and prolific facial hair that is frequently grown long and braided, trimmed and styled, and rarely shaven completely. Females tend to be shorter than men and comparatively stocky, with round facial features and thick, dark hair.

Coloring: Pale or greyish skin, often with a sallow complexion. Hair is black, brown, or rarely red. Eyes are brown, green, blue, or yellow.

Average Height: Males: 5'10" Females: 5'5"

Lifespan: 50-75 years

Cultural Notes

Clothing and Decoration: Black, blue, red, brown, and yellow are common colors. Peasant clothing is of rough fabric such as burlap, coarse linen, goat-hair, or wool. Clothing is used to distinguish class, with a premium placed on imported silk; aristocratic women especially favor tulle in the warm season. Other fine grades of clothing include, in descending rank, velvet, sateen, Afvghen pash (cashmere), tweed, and muslin. Furs are worn in late autumn and winter by those who can afford them; otherwise, leather or hide overcoats are worn. Hard-soled boots are the most common footwear, although softer shoes and sandals are worn as well. Jewelry is a measure of status among Garmorgians.

Fears: The Ku are both feared and revered. Untamed forests and other wilderness figure fearfully into Garmorgian myths. The race also has an inherent aversion to magic, which is taboo and outlawed by the Ku.
-Gore Vidal

The Quadruple Alliance
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Quadruple Alliance » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:09 am

I vote Darab. It syncs with my desire for (mad) SCIENCE!!
My nation into a setting for a RPG video game that I am programming. If thou wishes to know more, click the link!!
Roleplaying as Third World. Please take all economic statistics from trackers and divide by ten.
Madness is a Virtue (Formerly Walrusfolk Eurarcta)!!

The Quadruple Alliance
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Quadruple Alliance » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:10 am

Firstaria wrote:
Odith wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "shadow dealers" exactly. I would say, though, that Darab is the most secretive of the Houses listed.

You know, like a sort of Dark Brotherhood, without the killing...

Something tells me a bit more comparative with House Telvanni, in Elder Scrolls lore and Jargon. Secretive, reclusive, scientific.
My nation into a setting for a RPG video game that I am programming. If thou wishes to know more, click the link!!
Roleplaying as Third World. Please take all economic statistics from trackers and divide by ten.

Procastitania
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Procastitania » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:41 am

I'll join if there's room. Is there already an assassin character?
You're all insane.

San Monteriano
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby San Monteriano » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:57 am

Thinking about making a banker of House Thaultru, a plain role, though hopefully opened up by inter-house conflict, politicking and corrupting, the latter two not being far from the real-life, modern day version of the banking system. ;)
Monarch: Caterina I, HRDM
Prime Minister: Cristina S'Forza (PD)
Capital: San Monteriano (city)
National Language: Italian; English
Demonym: San Monteriani/Monterianese
RP Population: 62.5 million
Anthem
Cosmopoles wrote:
Tunasai wrote:Why would he make this up though?

Can I interest you in these magic beans I'm selling?

Ceannairceach wrote:If I were optimistic, I'd never be pleasantly surprised.

Wisconsin9 wrote:Every vegetarian and vegan in the world is sitting back and laughing cruelly at you right now. Or at least one is. Eh, close enough.

Tagmatium wrote:Yes - anything else is wishful thinking or wilful ignorance.

Without the EU, the UK is nothing but a backwater with delusions of grandeur and a history of empire.

"RENLY IS NOT RIGHT!" - Galbart Glover

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:25 am

San Monteriano wrote:Thinking about making a banker of House Thaultru, a plain role, though hopefully opened up by inter-house conflict, politicking and corrupting, the latter two not being far from the real-life, modern day version of the banking system. ;)

I would like for all actors to be of the same House. So far we have two votes for Darab and one apparent vote for Thaultru. I'm going to go ahead and open up the application process soon and we'll see what falls out. It would be helpful if you all could agree on a House ahead of time; however, I'm also fairly flexible and believe I could facilitate a story that focuses on one House but has characters working for other Houses; however, this would likely be a sort of hybrid cooperative-competitive story, with some characters working in the margins, perhaps at odds against the cooperating group.

Anyhow -- discuss.
-Gore Vidal

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:27 am

Procastitania wrote:I'll join if there's room. Is there already an assassin character?

I don't know that anyone's specifically stated an interest in an assassin character yet. The application process hasn't started yet, so things are still open, and you are welcome to submit an app once I make the template available.
-Gore Vidal

Murgoth
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Murgoth » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:38 am

No real preference for what faction, as I'm sure gaurds are needed in some capacity in all. Also, underground mafia, the mafia underneath the mafia!
Merteth Ech, Tikcs murgoth
"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most, our one fellow and brother who most needed a friend yet had not a single one, the one sinner among us all who had the highest and clearest right to every Christian's daily and nightly prayers, for the plain and unassailable reason that his was the first and greatest need, he being among sinners the supremest?"
Mark Twain

Murgoth
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Murgoth » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:38 am

No real preference for what faction, as I'm sure gaurds are needed in some capacity in all. Also, underground mafia, the mafia underneath the mafia!
Merteth Ech, Tikcs murgoth
"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most, our one fellow and brother who most needed a friend yet had not a single one, the one sinner among us all who had the highest and clearest right to every Christian's daily and nightly prayers, for the plain and unassailable reason that his was the first and greatest need, he being among sinners the supremest?"
Mark Twain

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

APPLICATIONS

Postby Odith » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:37 pm

Okay, I am now accepting character applications. I've provided an example below as well as a template. Please follow the example and mention your character's connection to House Darab in the description. If you'd like to play a character from another House, I will consider your application, but you should be aware that your character may well operate in the margins of the story and you will need a very compelling character. Also, notice that no trait in the example is ranked higher than d8. Please follow the example in that regard, too. We are assuming that characters are near the beginning of their careers with the House and a bit green. I'll accept skills ranked up to d6, but only a few at that level per character. I will be implementing the optional experience rules so that we can have a systematic way of progressing characters. Also, notice that I've included the optional sanity trait. I'm assuming some characters will have armor, and I'm open to discussion about whether to handle armor with the optional rule or in a less systematized way. (optional rules here)

Example Character:

Jagandunt Undrokin

Jagandunt Undrokin is an aspiring poet and student of the histories of the Garmorgian Provinces. He has recently been taken under the patronage of House Darab, from which he receives a small stipend to research and collate a one-volume anthology entitled Provincial Histories. This undertaking requires a great deal of travel from province to province, with a good amount of time in each province seeking out books or, where books do not exist, conducting original research through interviews and analysis of folktales and ways.

Jagandunt is underweight and appears jaundiced. His long, dark beard is unkempt and wiry; his eyes are bright with perhaps too much perception. He has a habit of taking stimulants and writing long hours into the night. Likely because of this intentional and unrepentant insomnia, he often appears preoccupied and jittery.

Jagandunt Undrokin has…
Below average strength (d20)
Good agility (d10)
Average health (d12)
Impressive knowledge of the world (d8)
Sharp perception (d8)
Questionable sanity (d20)

Jagandunt Undrokin is…
A connoisseur of stimulants (d6)
Knowledgeable about cultural customs (d8)
A skilled writer (d8)
A practicing historian (d10)
Skilled with daggers and knives (d10)
Interested in mythology (d12)
A dabbler in poisons (d20)
An uncertain equestrian (d20)
A terrible marksman (d30)

Jagandunt Undrokin carries…
A backpack containing:
A leather notebook, half-filled with notes
A leather notebook, unwritten in
Stylus and ink
1 pound of cafune (an exotic stimulant from Semassin Province)
2 pounds of green tea
A steel tea kettle
An earthenware mug
A belt with:
3 vials of weak poison
A kris (dagger)

Template

Code: Select all
[b][u]Character Name[/b][/u]

1 paragraph describing the character's background, connection to the House, goals and or/motivation.

1 paragraph describing the character's appearance and personality.

[b]Character Name has...[/b]
Description of strength (d_)
Description of agility (d_)
Description of health (d_)
Description of knowledge of the world (d_)
Description of perception (d_)
Description of sanity (d_)

[b]Character Name is...[/b]
Description of skill (d_)

[b]Character Name carries...[/b]
[i]Container with:[/i]
Item
Item
Item
Last edited by Odith on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Gore Vidal

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 29, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:58 pm

Daniel Mercury

1 paragraph describing the character's background, connection to the House, goals and or/motivation.

1 paragraph describing the character's appearance and personality.

Daniel Mercury has...
A strong body (d8)
An exceptional agility (d6)
A good health (d12)
Not a good general knowledge (d20)
A fine eye (d10)
A sane mind (d12)

Daniel Mercury is...

Daniel Mercury carries...
Container with:
Item
Item
Item

Which skills should be good for this adventure?
Last edited by Firstaria on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OVERLORD Daniel Mercury of Firstaria
Original Author of SC #5 and SC #30

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:48 pm

Firstaria wrote:
Daniel Mercury

Daniel Mercury has...
A strong body (d8)
An exceptional agility (d6)
A good health (d12)
Not a good general knowledge (d20)
A fine eye (d10)
A sane mind (d12)

Which skills should be good for this adventure?

First, "Daniel Mercury" isn't an acceptable name for this milieu. If it's helpful, I can provide some naming conventions sometime in the coming week; however, I believe it should be fairly obvious from the information I've provided so far that Garmorgian names are not exactly Anglo-Saxon. Please use your imagination and keep in mind that the Garmorgians have been shaped by the Ku, whose language is guttural, so most names are going to feature hard sounds.

Second, d6 is too high a rank for a trait, as I stated here:

Odith wrote:Also, notice that no trait in the example is ranked higher than d8. Please follow the example in that regard, too. We are assuming that characters are near the beginning of their careers with the House and a bit green. I'll accept skills ranked up to d6, but only a few at that level per character.

Please pay attention and read provided material carefully.

Third, think of this as a story rather than an "adventure". I don't know what kind of skills you'll need, because I don't know what the story is yet. Everyone participating will create the story together, and the characters will drive the story; hence the title of the OP: "Gritty Fantasy; Character-Driven Storytelling". I don't care what kind of skills your character has. He can be a good whittler, for all I care. He can be a professional unk player, with an unk being a stringed instrument of some kind that you, as the actor, get to design and weave into the history of Garmorgia, if you like. He can be a good con-artist. He can be an accomplished lumberjack and an amateur boxer. Any of that would be acceptable. What would not be acceptable would be just having a list of skills and traits without any real personality to the character.

One of the first things you should have done when looking into this RP is to read The Three Precepts of The Window. If you haven't done that, do it now. If you do not agree with the precepts or think they sound like a good basis for entertainment, then this RP is probably not going to be for you.
-Gore Vidal

The Quadruple Alliance
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Quadruple Alliance » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:04 pm

Note: Still not entirely certain on naming conventions. For example, if we are in a House, would that be our surname??

Will change whatever you need me to.

Garthov Darab

Born into House Darab (If that is even possible. Will amend if it is not, as it is unclear), Garthov is an aspiring alchemist obsessed with learning. His obsession rules his life, to the point where scientific learning at any cost is his sole driving factor. He especially enjoys tinkering with machinery and mixing alchemical formulae. More... heretical personal musings include theorems about the function of magic, and the nature of the Ku. Would probably attempt to test these thesises, if he believed he could get away with such things. Currently experimenting with the fire dust, like most alchemists of House Darab.

Short, singed black hair and a bushy singed mustache. Shaves infrequently, and appears scruffy and unshaven. Short, a bit portly, and a bit burly. He wears protective gloves and always keeps eye protective goggles on hand, as he never knows when the need for science might arrive. Sort of easily distractable whenever a scientific opportunity presents itself, but once experimentation has begun, will stop at NOTHING to see it through to completion.

Garthov has...
Below Average strength (d20)
Average of agility (d12)
Poor Health (d20)
Impressive of knowledge of the world (d8)
Occasionally perceptive (d12)
Little-to-No Sanity(d30)

Garthov is...
A Skillful Alchemist (d6)
A Skillful Engineer (d6)
A Good Biologist (d8)
A Decent Barterer(d12)
(All other skills at 30, is very focused in just a few fields)

Garthov carries...
A backpack containing:
A leather notebook, 245/400 Pages filled with notes(alchemy and engineering) and mad ramblings.
A leather notebook, 0/400 Pages Filled
Quill and Ink
15 Vials with Stoppers (Empty)
A kris (dagger)
A scalpel (or Garmorgian equivalent)
A pair of Scissors (or Garmorgian equivalent)
Clay Mortar and Pestal
A Covered Clay Pot
A stand used for cooking over an open flame (or heating different substances)
Flint and Steel
Needle and Thread
A Decent amount of Money (I don't know Garmorgian coinage or worth)
Varying amounts of the alchemical components for fire dust (what are these, specifically, and what is the current "best formula" for the amounts of each to be mixed??)
Fifty arrows (for an Experiment)
One Straw Basket with:
Nothing
On Person:
Common Street Clothes,
Leather Gloves,
Protective Goggles

((Starting to remind myself of a Nazi Scientist I once had to stat up for a... strange game of D&D, lol))
=|:}P
Last edited by The Quadruple Alliance on Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The Quadruple Alliance
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Quadruple Alliance » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:35 pm

Firstaria wrote:Daniel Mercury

Wait... isn't that your character's name in Project PHOBOS??

... And it looks like it's your nation's leader's name too??

Last edited by The Quadruple Alliance on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:18 pm

Looks pretty good, Quad.
The Quadruple Alliance wrote:Note: Still not entirely certain on naming conventions. For example, if we are in a House, would that be our surname??

The heads (Lords) of the Houses have the surname and I'd prefer that characters not be related by blood to the Lords. You are an employee, a member of the team. The Darabs themselves are something akin to nobility. All of that to say, please make up a surname.
The Quadruple Alliance wrote:Born into House Darab(If that is even possible. Will amend if it is not, as it is unclear)...

Yup, think of a different angle.
The Quadruple Alliance wrote: Garthov is an aspiring alchemist obsessed with learning. His obsession rules his life, to the point where scientific learning at any cost is his sole driving factor. He especially enjoys tinkering with machinery and mixing alchemical formulae. More... heretical personal musings include theorems about the function of magic, and the nature of the Ku. Would probably attempt to test these thesises, if he believed he could get away with such things. Currently experimenting with the fire dust, like most alchemists of House Darab.

The only change I request is that you don't use the word "scientific". I know this is a bit of a bummer as you have stated that you would like to play a "mad scientist". Mad scientists are great, but there's no conception of "science" as such in the world. Can we use the word "technical" instead (the noun would be "technics")? That would make him a mad technician, which I think has a nice flavor, especially seeing how Garthov focuses on engineering as well as alchemy.
The Quadruple Alliance wrote:Short, singed black hair and a bushy singed mustache. Shaves infrequently, and appears scruffy and unshaven. Short, a bit portly, and a bit burly. He wears protective gloves and always keeps eye protective goggles on hand, as he never knows when the need for science might arrive. Sort of easily distractable whenever a scientific opportunity presents itself, but once experimentation has begun, will stop at NOTHING to see it through to completion.

Nice. Again, replace "scientific" with "technical". I also want to know a bit more about the last sentence -- "once experimentation has begun, will stop at NOTHING to see it through to completion." Does this mean that if he was in another province on assignment and stumbled across a blueprint for a machine that he'd never encountered before, he would sideline the mission until he had completed building a prototype? That's the sense I get. And that could be disabling. It could also be a lot of fun. I'm just asking you to think about it and define a bit more for us how far you plan to take this -- oooooh! look! a blueprint!
The Quadruple Alliance wrote:Garthov has...
Average of agility (d12)
Poor Health (d20)
Little-to-No Sanity(d30)

I'm glad to see that you are interested in playing a fairly underpowered character. You may want to consider ratcheting his sanity up to at least a d20, though; otherwise, you might lose control of Garthov in the event of a disturbance. And there will be disturbances. See box below, which is taken from the discussion of the sanity trait. Of course, if this is true to Garthov -- that he is always a boo away from losing his senses -- then you should keep the sanity trait where it is.
A successful Sanity Roll means you are able to think through the horror and keep control of yourself. Failing a sanity roll can mean several things. One of the most common effects is to freeze up and stare. Another is to flee in terror, or uncontrollable screaming. Another is to fall to the floor and roll into the fetal position. Yet another is to be cursed with a permanent phobia. All these wonderful things and more await your character should they not make one little roll. Sometimes the Storyteller will "take control" of your character for a brief period of time during their fugue, though often they will leave the exact effects of the failed roll up to you.

Oh yes, and don't forget about your Sanity trait dropping a rung on the competency ladder. That can happen, too, just as it happens with health. If your sanity should spiral down until it drops completely off the competency ladder, then your character has gone insane, which is effectively just as bad as death...

The Quadruple Alliance wrote:Garthov is...
A Skillful Engineer (d6)
A Good Biologist (d8)
A Decent Barterer(d12)
(All other skills at 30, is very focused in just a few fields)

Okey Dokey. You don't need to explicitly state all other skills at 30, but I appreciate that you have familiarized yourself with the system. Do consider adding some manner of weapon or self-defense skill, as most Garmorgians have received some sort of training or at least picked up some martial skill at the School of Hard Knocks.
The Quadruple Alliance wrote:Garthov carries...
A backpack containing:
A leather notebook, 245/400 Pages filled with notes(alchemy and engineering) and mad ramblings.
Quill and Ink
A kris (dagger)
A scalpel (or Garmorgian equivalent)
A pair of Scissors (or Garmorgian equivalent)
Clay Mortar and Pestal
A Covered Clay Pot
Flint and Steel
Needle and Thread
Varying amounts of the alchemical components for fire dust (what are these, specifically, and what is the current "best formula" for the amounts of each to be mixed??)
One Straw Basket with:
Nothing
On Person:
Common Street Clothes,
Leather Gloves,
Protective Goggles[/box]
((Starting to remind myself of a Nazi Scientist I once had to stat up for a... strange game of D&D, lol))

Looks good. I'll post about currency later. You can call a scalpel a scalpel and scissors scissors. Btw, a kris is a kind of dagger used in Indonesia and the Philippines. It looks pretty wicked, and I thought it would make a good default Garmorgian dagger; however, you all are welcome to choose other models or even invent weapons if you are so inclined -- as long as those weapons fit the tech level, of course. At any rate, this is a handy reference that lists many different kinds of daggers. I'm sure that with little effort other people could find similar lists for swords or other fantasy-type weapons.

As far as fire dust, it's a combination of saltpeter (or niter), sulfur, and charcoal. As I've written elsewhere, it's gunpowder. For "best formula", well that's a House Darab secret; you of course would have access to it:

The best practices of House Darab suggest about 7-8 parts saltpeter to 1-2 parts of both charcoal and sulfur. Even within the House, different technicians guard their recipes jealously, and knowledge about technical advancements is slow to disseminate. The best technicians spend the large part of their week within their private offices. The picture is an absurd one -- a group of men and women pursuing the same goal in a shared space that is partitioned into private areas, but such is the paranoid and reclusive atmosphere of House Darab.

Another unfortunate risk of this level of independent research in a shared space is the compounded risk of explosions. Already half of the Dustworks has been blown away. The Lords Darab have ordered the construction of several outbuildings scattered throughout the countryside, and the suspicion is that the best technicians will be assigned to these slightly safer workspaces, while the ones that do not make the grade will continue to toil in the Dustworks.
-Gore Vidal

Egrek
Envoy

Founded: Nov 29, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Egrek » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:18 am

Korvin Kuchen

Korvin Kuchen was born the second child of a lowly baker associated with the declining house of Thaultkal. As he came of age, Korvin searched for work outside the bakery. As several mines changed hands from House Thaultkal to House Darab, Korvin found a job pushing carts from these mines to alchemists of House Darab. Korvin hopes to find an apprenticeship to a metalworker or an alchemist so that one day he will be the one receiving the deliveries from the mines, instead of the one making them.

Although still quite young, Korvin has recently braided his sideburns down past the edges of his budding moustache, weaving the two sides together at his chin to cover over the blotchy brown fuzz on his pale neck. His blue eyes match the wool vest he made himself, which he wears over a coarse linen shirt with burlap trousers and hard-soled boots. Although short of stature, his square shoulders top a good back and powerful legs. Very focused with an excellent memory, Korvin prefers to finish one task before starting another, and when interrupted usually returns later to finish what he started. Korvin rarely picks a fight without a clear goal in mind, but often remembers slights long after the fact.

Korvin Kuchen has …
Decent strength (d12)
Commonplace agility (d12)
Excellent health (d8)
Mediocre knowledge of the world (d12)
Pretty good perception (d12)
Impressive sanity (d10)

Korvin Kuchen is…
A courier in the city (d10)
A decent cook (d12)
Practiced at crochet (d12)
An average singer (d12)
A fair dancer (d12)
A competent wrestler (d12)
An average shoveler (d12)
A decent horse driver (d12)
A beginner groom (d20)
An improviser of knots (d20)
A carrier of supplies for apothecaries, miners, and smiths (d20)
A dabbler in acrobatics and tumbling (d20)
Illiterate (d30)

Korvin Kuchen carries…
A haversack with:
A canteen of boiled water
A crochet hook
A skein of coarse woollen yarn
A coil of rope
Last edited by Egrek on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Egrek wrote:

You get THREE GOLD STARS for returning to the thread topic!
Gbrxpsykldnq wrote:... (Kudos to Egrek and Sierra Lobo for actually thinking.).
Vitaphone Racing wrote:
Egrek wrote:

This doesn't make sense at all.
Idealismania wrote:
Egrek wrote:Your reasoning is quite good. The only major dissagreement I have is with your premise:
Life is not an impersonal test. It is a chance to build a relationship with God. Finding God lasts a lifetime. Living with God lasts an eternity.

I like this reply a lot :clap:
Wisconsin7 wrote:And Egrek owns the [3] fifth graders souls.
I hereby commit the souls of the [3] fifth graders to God's care.

The Quadruple Alliance
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Quadruple Alliance » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:32 am

Alright good sir, fixed my application

Garthov Thikavar

Born the son of a simple alchemist, Garthov is an aspiring alchemist obsessed with learning. His obsession rules his life, to the point where technical and alchemical learning at any cost is his sole driving factor. He especially enjoys tinkering with machinery and mixing alchemical formulae. More... heretical personal musings include theorems about the function of magic, and the nature of the Ku. Would probably attempt to test these thesises, if he believed he could get away with such things. Currently experimenting with the fire dust, like most alchemists of House Darab.

Short, singed black hair and a bushy singed mustache. Shaves infrequently, and appears scruffy and unshaven. Short, a bit portly, and a bit burly. He wears protective gloves and always keeps eye protective goggles on hand, as he never knows when the need for alchemy might arrive. Sort of easily distractable whenever a scientific opportunity presents itself, but once experimentation has begun, will stop at NOTHING to see it through to completion.

Garthov has...
Average of agility (d12)
Poor Health (d20)
Little-to-No Sanity(d20)

Garthov is...
A Skillful Engineer (d6)
A Good Biologist (d8)
A Decent Barterer(d12)
Proficient with a Crossbow (d10)
Decent with Daggers(d12)

Garthov carries...
A backpack containing:
A leather notebook, 245/400 Pages filled with notes(alchemy and engineering) and mad ramblings. There are no heretical notes, those are all kept within Garthov's mind
Quill and Ink
A kris (dagger)
A scalpel
A pair of Scissors
Clay Mortar and Pestal
A Covered Clay Pot
Flint and Steel
Needle and Thread
One Straw Basket with:
Nothing (Yet)
On Person:
Common Street Clothes,
Leather Gloves,
Protective Goggles

Odith wrote:Nice. Again, replace "scientific" with "technical". I also want to know a bit more about the last sentence -- "once experimentation has begun, will stop at NOTHING to see it through to completion." Does this mean that if he was in another province on assignment and stumbled across a blueprint for a machine that he'd never encountered before, he would sideline the mission until he had completed building a prototype? That's the sense I get. And that could be disabling. It could also be a lot of fun. I'm just asking you to think about it and define a bit more for us how far you plan to take this -- oooooh! look! a blueprint!

Yes. That is pretty much exactly what I mean. And yes, it could very well be disabling, but I subscribe to the Role-Playing School of RPGs rather than the Power-Gaming School. I'm not out to win the game, I'm out to make an interesting character.

Odith wrote:I'm glad to see that you are interested in playing a fairly underpowered character. You may want to consider ratcheting his sanity up to at least a d20, though; otherwise, you might lose control of Garthov in the event of a disturbance. And there will be disturbances. See box below, which is taken from the discussion of the sanity trait. Of course, if this is true to Garthov -- that he is always a boo away from losing his senses -- then you should keep the sanity trait where it is.

Yeah, overall, I don't like playing overpowered characters. At least not at first. I've always been of the opinion that I need to earn any overpoweredness that I have. And I've played a Scientist before, and have found the best way to do so is to focus the stats towards intellect, and rely on the other party members to balance out the combat aspects.

As for Sanity, I'll admit that I was quite mistaken as to what it signified and will boost it to d20(as mental-health wise, he's not very good), as d30 seems rather dangerous.

Odith wrote:Okey Dokey. You don't need to explicitly state all other skills at 30, but I appreciate that you have familiarized yourself with the system. Do consider adding some manner of weapon or self-defense skill, as most Garmorgians have received some sort of training or at least picked up some martial skill at the School of Hard Knocks.

Alright, I'll give my guy some skills with crossbow and dagger. Crossbow may in fact become relevant, depending on how successful my early alchemy and engineering rolls are. =|:}P

Odith wrote:Looks good. I'll post about currency later. You can call a scalpel a scalpel and scissors scissors. Btw, a kris is a kind of dagger used in Indonesia and the Philippines. It looks pretty wicked, and I thought it would make a good default Garmorgian dagger;

Yep, I figured as much. Not caring too much about combat, the dagger would've been selected by my character based on widespread availability. And will probably see use in many non-combat situations as well. A sharp blade is always helpful!!

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:15 am

Good application, Egrek. History looks good.

Egrek wrote:Although still quite young, Korvin has recently braided his sideburns down past the edges of his budding moustache, weaving the two sides together at his chin to cover over the blotchy brown fuzz on his pale neck.

I'm having a hard time picturing this, and what I do picture is pretty weird-looking. Was that what you were going for? Anyone else have trouble picturing this? The rest of the description and motivation is great. I like that he made his own clothes; your choice of materials fits well, too.

Not able to finish reviewing right now, but will try to respond tonight.
-Gore Vidal

Egrek
Envoy

Founded: Nov 29, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Egrek » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:56 pm

Odith wrote:Good application, Egrek. History looks good.

Egrek wrote:Although still quite young, Korvin has recently braided his sideburns down past the edges of his budding moustache, weaving the two sides together at his chin to cover over the blotchy brown fuzz on his pale neck.

I'm having a hard time picturing this, and what I do picture is pretty weird-looking. Was that what you were going for? Anyone else have trouble picturing this? The rest of the description and motivation is great. I like that he made his own clothes; your choice of materials fits well, too.

Not able to finish reviewing right now, but will try to respond tonight.
Yay! Hard work pays off.

I was having a hard time picturing this myself, and I dispaired of explaining it properly...until I searched the internet.

Korvin's faicial hair is mostly like this picture:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=braided+sideburns&view=detail&id=24B341A74C2D7824BF48DC7F0E444D640ED1B954
With the braids connecting at his chin like in this one:
http://www.ilyke.net/braid-beard/9903
He has a little more hair than the first and it happens to be the same color as the second. I belive an appropiate adjective to describe his appearance would be scruffy.
Last edited by Egrek on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Egrek wrote:

You get THREE GOLD STARS for returning to the thread topic!
Gbrxpsykldnq wrote:... (Kudos to Egrek and Sierra Lobo for actually thinking.).
Vitaphone Racing wrote:
Egrek wrote:

This doesn't make sense at all.
Idealismania wrote:
Egrek wrote:Your reasoning is quite good. The only major dissagreement I have is with your premise:
Life is not an impersonal test. It is a chance to build a relationship with God. Finding God lasts a lifetime. Living with God lasts an eternity.

I like this reply a lot :clap:
Wisconsin7 wrote:And Egrek owns the [3] fifth graders souls.
I hereby commit the souls of the [3] fifth graders to God's care.

Murgoth
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Murgoth » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:08 pm

Wetclin

born into a house of minor tradesmen, Wetclin's earliest memories are of happiness and general satisfaction. As his mother would later tell him, his father crossed the wrong men and soon found his buisness in ruin. His mother would insist that his father's apparent suicide was in fact a careful assasination, and Wetclin never doubted her. she did her best to support the rapidly growing child, doing whatever was neccesary to get the next meal. during this time she taught him how to survive, and how to fight using his ever growing strength. though he was slow in most else, he found fighting to be a true skill of his. this would help when, one day, his mother did not return. Wetclin quickly found himself in the employ of a local gang, and lived a life of violence and cruelty. As bad as it was, he survived. while in between jobs, Wetclin caught the eye of a recruiter, being a rather large and strong looking fellow. seeing opportunity to escape the increasing danger of his current job, Wetcin gladly accepted employ as a gaurd of house Darab.

Wetclin would be called "slow" in other societies, but that is not neccesarily true. it's not that he is incapable of picking up on things, but that he takes a more methodical, nearly plodding approach. that is not to say that he cannot be quick, as threats are met with violence and deadly force is returned doubly. While his central goal is just to survive in a hostile city, it does not mean that he is cruel or heartless, having learned that it is often better to be corteous or even kind when possible. He has also found that it is to his benefit to seem slower than he really is. Wetclin, physically, is imposing indeed. he stands at 6'5, and has the build of an ox. his brown hair and beard is kept trimmed short to avoid grabbing hands during fights. his green eyes move slowly, absorbing what is needed and taking thier time doing it.

Wetclin has...
astounding strength d8
enough agility d12
tough as bricks d8
knows what street he lives on d20
mediocre attention d12
plodding resilience d10

Wetclin is...
an uneducated peon d30
brawler extroirdinare d6
average spearmen d12
clubbing expert d8
dislikes his sword d20
connected to the underworld d10
lovable oaf d12
pain resistant d8
slow thinker d20
knows little of animals d20

Wetclin carries...
his spear
a dagger in his boot
a sword, sheathed
a single-shoulder back-pack carrying...
-several coins for emergency situations
-a notebook of math and numbers, a ledger from his dead father
-whetstone
-rope for apprehending those not to die
-a club of fine wood
-several salted peices of meat, for when he can't grab a meal.
and wears on his body...
-cheap street clothing, about due for some patches
-a leather helm, gloves, boots, leggins, and chest padding
-chainmail vest

Procastitania
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Procastitania » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:28 pm

Drazar Torgbash

Drazar Torgbash was raised by a wealthy merchant family from House Taggud. His parents were quite dissapointed when young Drazar did not show an affinity for the calculating career of a merchant. In fact, he was uneasy with the way his family used the less fortunate to acheive their goals. His parents reluctantly allowed him to take self-defense classes instead, which Razar enjoyed far more than his lessons in math. His parents eventually pulled him out of the self-defense once he had become skilled enough to hold his own against most fighters, hoping he would focus more on academics and less on athletics. However, he used the extra time free-running out in the city streets. The morning he came of age, instead of working with his uncle as his parents wanted, Razar snuck out, with a good amount of money for supplies. For a living, he started quietly stealing from merchants all over the city, giving some of the food to people his parents had wronged. Eventually, he was approached by House Dabar to work as an assassin.

Drazar is small, fit, and wiry for a Garmorgian. He ties his long, dark hair back in a ponytail. His disposition is generally grim, and his expressions give very little away. He is concerned about the safety of others, especially those who can't defend themselves. He hates owing anyone anything, and prefers not to rely on anyone other than himself.

Drazar Torgbash has...
Good strength (d10)
Impressive agility (d8)
Standard health (d12)
Average knowledge of the world (d20)
Great perception (d8)
Normal sanity (d12)

Drazar Torgbash is...
An expert with blades of all kinds (d6)
A skilled climber and free-runner (d8)
A decent salesman (d12)
A brilliant pickpocket and thief (d8)