NATION

PASSWORD

City of Westminster (IC, Parliament)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
San Monteriano
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

City of Westminster (IC, Parliament)

Postby San Monteriano » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:50 pm

City of Westminster - Parliamentary Thread

Synopsis - The Past

In 2013, the current Conservative-Liberal Coalition within the House of Commons disintegrated follow a massive backbench rebellion among both Conservative and Liberal Democrat MPs, with over 150 Coalition MPs dissenting against the government's budget plans, further austerity measures, NHS plans and following the 2012 riots, which overshadowed the previous year's 2011 London riots and resulted in 12 deaths and hundreds of injuries across the country. With both the government and people of the United Kingdom in disarray, Parliament was dissolved and the coalition broken. The parliamentary snap election was called on the 7th May, and the results seemed to show a Labour victory following a loss in faith over the previous coalition government. Nevertheless, when the elections came, Labour received 312 seats in the Parliament, followed by the Conservatives' 274, the Liberal-Democrats' 38, with the rest of Parliament's seats going to minority parties such as UKIP, DUP, SNP and SDLP. With Labour lacking sufficient seats to form a majority government, a quick Labour-Liberal coalition agreement was forged by Ed Holmes MP, the Leader of the Labour Party, allowing a majority government to be formed and a mixed Cabinet to be installed, though most national media publications showed massively-negative polls for another coalition government prior to the election.

With an uneasy government once more, the Government of the United Kingdom attempts to take on the economic, social and political problems and issues left by the previous government with strict and tactical pressure from the Official Opposition.

The House of Commons - Layout:655

Her Majesty's Government:
  • Labour (312)
  • Liberal Democrat (38)

Her Majesty's Opposition:
  • Conservatives (274)
  • RESPECT (4)
  • Democratic Unionist Party (5)
  • Scottish National Party (5)
  • Sinn Féin (5)
  • Plaid Cymru (6)
  • Social Democratic & Labour (4)
  • Green (2)
  • UKIP (1)
  • Speaker & Deputies (4)

People:
Government:
  • Prime Minister of the United Kingdom - Ed Holmes MP (San Monteriano) (Lab)
  • Deputy Prime Minister of the United Kingdom - Patrick Verne MP (Inkarzikan) (Lib)
  • Secretary of State for Foreign/Commonwealth Affairs - Isaac Dubucy MP (Danatha) (Lab)
  • Secretary of State for Justice/Lord Chancellor- John Young MP (The Darwinian People) (Lab)
  • Chief Government Whip - Nathaniel Hawke MP (Osthia) (Lab)
  • Member of Parliament (MP) - Steve Hollindale (Astholm) (?)

Opposition:
  • Leader of the Opposition - Dawn Humphreys MP (Churchilland) (Con)
  • Shadow Secretary of State for Culture, Media & Sport - Adam Jones MP (Krytenia) (Con)

Miscellaneous Opposition:
  • Member of Parliament (MP) - William Goodwin (Pribram) (RESPECT)

OOC/Sign-Up: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=190880
Monarch: Caterina I, HRDM
Prime Minister: Cristina S'Forza (PD)
Capital: San Monteriano (city)
National Language: Italian; English
Demonym: San Monteriani/Monterianese
RP Population: 62.5 million
Anthem
Cosmopoles wrote:
Tunasai wrote:Why would he make this up though?

Can I interest you in these magic beans I'm selling?

Ceannairceach wrote:If I were optimistic, I'd never be pleasantly surprised.

Wisconsin9 wrote:Every vegetarian and vegan in the world is sitting back and laughing cruelly at you right now. Or at least one is. Eh, close enough.

Tagmatium wrote:Yes - anything else is wishful thinking or wilful ignorance.

Without the EU, the UK is nothing but a backwater with delusions of grandeur and a history of empire.

"RENLY IS NOT RIGHT!" - Galbart Glover

San Monteriano
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby San Monteriano » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:52 pm

Ed Holmes, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, had entered the House of Commons earlier to discuss the session of Parliament before making his way to the chamber itself, finding his seat on the frontbench of the left side chamber, traditionally the 'Government' side. There, he sat down with his Cabinet ministers and began to discuss policy and preparing each other for heated debates and argument throughout the chamber as the House began to fill with MPs of all sides.
Anthem
Cosmopoles wrote:

Wisconsin9 wrote:Every vegetarian and vegan in the world is sitting back and laughing cruelly at you right now. Or at least one is. Eh, close enough.

Without the EU, the UK is nothing but a backwater with delusions of grandeur and a history of empire.

Danatha
Diplomat

Founded: May 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Danatha » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:05 am

Isaac Dubucy, MP for Finchely and Golders Green and Foreign Secretary, entered the Chamber to prepare for the session. He was eager to begin the debate, as debate was one of his favourite aspects of Government. Taking his seat on the bench, he turned to the Prime Minister, and greeted his friend. He wished to discuss the foreign policy of the new government, at some point, but now was the time for legislation.

"Good morning Prime Minister. What is on the agenda for the session?"
First Secretary-General of the Imperial League of Nations
Embassy | Factbook
New Era RP: Sign-Ups
Demonym=Danathian Danathian accent=French accent

✯ ✯ ✯ Help is on its Way: UDL✯ ✯ ✯

San Monteriano
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby San Monteriano » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:15 pm

Holmes' trance-like state - induced by his self-preparation for his first session in Parliament as Prime Minister - was broken by the arrival of his Foreign Secretary, Isaac Dubucy, who greeted him as the man sat down and inquired about the parliamentary agenda. "Good morning." He replied, looking up and smiling before Dubucy continued. "Well, I see that the election of a new Speaker is hot on the agenda, and we're discussing the rising tensions between Israel and Iran, as well as our proposal for re-instating the fifty pence tax and raising income tax rates for the wealthy, so, the usual, it seems." Ed replied, somewhat optimistically; he was sure that Parliament would put up a tough fight against the latter issue, but the British public had discarded the Conservatives due to their easy policies on the rich.

"We just need Patrick and his party to pull through." He added, spotting the entrance of his Deputy Prime Minister and Liberal-Democrat Leader, Patrick Verne, smirking before looking over to his approaching deputy.
Anthem
Cosmopoles wrote:

Cyborg Holland
Minister

Founded: Aug 29, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cyborg Holland » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:37 pm

Shane sat at the one of the highest seats in the Commons, looking dead ahead at the Prime Minister. He'd just returned from a UN Meeting held in Doha, discussing the Middle East question, and he'd had a particularly uncomfortable flight back. He'd never been a good flyer, and turbulence over the Med hadn't helped him.

He was slightly jet-lagged, and he hadn't eaten in a hurry to get to work on the bus, from his London residency in Oakwell Park. His suit was too hot, made of heavy cotton despite it being summer time. His floppy brown hair was matted to his forehead, but he brushed it with his sleeve.

The monotonous voice of the the PM descended into a drone, and Shane drifted out.

"... And what do you think of that, Right Honourable constituent of Chesham & Amershan"

Shane jolted back into the room again

"Uh...it's fine, great"

The Prime Minister glared at him, and a young pretty MP sitting across from him gave him a little smile. Shane shuffled nervously in his seat. He hadn't been at a commons meeting for some time. He had no idea how long he'd be sitting there. He then had to go listen to some whiny back-benches complain about something for an hour. Then he might grab a pint at the bar.

As the PM droned on, other members chipped in with their thoughts, views. He was less experienced at Governance. All the humdrum and trouble of Westminster life, combined with countless trips overseas to 3rd world s***holes, had caught up with him. And he was exhausted. Thoughts of all the world filled his head. Assad's last gasp attempt at holding onto power, Israel at Iran's throat, and the Greek people being thoroughly pissed off at thier own governments. He wished that everyone could get along, just for a day. But that didn't happen.

The meeting droned on, and he slipped back into his conscience...

(OK?)
Last edited by Cyborg Holland on Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

San Monteriano
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby San Monteriano » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:50 pm

Cyborg Holland wrote:-snip-

OOC: We're in the House of Commons xD Could you amend your post, please?
Anthem
Cosmopoles wrote:

Osthia
Negotiator

Founded: May 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Osthia » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:32 pm

Tag

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse