NATION

PASSWORD

A Tale of Luck and Chance (OOC; Closed)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

A Tale of Luck and Chance (OOC; Closed)

Postby Olthar » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:06 am

IC Thread

So, many years ago, on another forum, I was introduced to a rather unique form of roleplaying, and I've decided to bring it here. So, the gist of it is everything that happens is based on luck. How, you ask? Quite simply, I role a die to determine what happens. However, it is a bit more complicated than that. The RP will be turn-based and separated into rounds. In each round, the players perform one action and one action only. Once all the players have posted, I role the die and see whether or not those actions were successful and, if so, how successful. Then, the next round begins, and everyone makes another post. Unlike some other more serious RPs, this one has no real plot nor character development. It's just all about random fun and insanity.

Specifics about the dice mechanic:
In each person's post, they say what action they are attempting to perform. I will then roll a six-sided die; the higher the result, the more successful the action. The actions will happen in the order of the posts, with the NPC(s) taking their turn(s) after all the players. So, if you want your action to happen first, then be the first to post each round.

The possible results are as follows:
1: Epic Failure. You failed so hard that you must be some sort of flipper-handed freak incapable of performing even the simplest of tasks. It's a wonder that you haven't accidentally killed yourself yet. (Your failure is so spectacular that you likely injure yourself in some way and/or suffer a penalty.)
2: Failure. Plain and simple, you tired, and you failed. You were completely and totally unproductive this round, and I hope you're ashamed of your uselessness. (You fail and do nothing.)
3: Successful, but only barely. You the one who slacked in school, aren't you? Getting by with only the bare minimum? Well, it's come back to bite you in the ass as everything you do doesn't quite work the way you wanted. (You succeed, but your action isn't quite as effective as you would have hoped.)
4: Successful. Congratulations. You set out to do something and did it. You are competent enough to do something without immediately failing at it. Good job on being average. (You do exactly what you set out to do, no more, no less.)
5: Hugely Successful. Wow, now that's impressive! You are simply amazing! You not only succeeded, but did better than you could have ever hoped. That takes skill. (You are so successful that your action is far more effective than intended and/or you receive a bonus.)
6: Godly Success. You must be some sort of deity because I could swear that wasn't even physically possible! I don't know how you did it, but you somehow managed to be so successful that you broke physics. Kudos. (You are dangerously successful, literally. It's quite possible that your action is so successful as to have unintended consequences.)

To help illustrate the above, I'll give an example. Player 1 wants to throw a fireball at a nearby goblin. The possible results could be:
1: The spell explodes in Player 1's hand burning him and setting his clothes on fire.
2: The spell fizzles and does nothing.
3: Player 1 successfully casts the fireball, but all it does is singe the goblin's eyebrows and make him feel somewhat uncomfortable.
4: Player 1 throws the fireball as intended, and the goblin catches on fire.
5: The fireball is far stronger than normal andNo, you haven't posted. Though,, upon hitting the goblin, immediately causes him to explodes into tiny chunks.
6: The fireball is so unbelievably powerful that it causes a wave of destruction, hitting everyone and everything in the room.

The last thing to discuss is bonuses/penalties. These, quite simply, affect die rolls by adding a +/- number to a specific type of roll. So, for instance, someone finds a really nice sword and gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls with that sword, or someone has their hand injured and, from that point on, suffers a -1 penalty on all rolls on actions involving that hand. Also, some actions that are just inherently harder to perform will have automatic penalties whenever you try them. For example, if you try and jump a two-foot gap, you will have a normal roll, but if you try and jump a five-foot gap, something much harder, then you'll have a -1 penalty on the roll. If you try to go even further and jump a seven-foot gap, then you'll have a -2, and so on.

As for characters, there really are none. You, effectively, play yourself. If you want to pretend that you're someone else, then go ahead, but it's not really going to change anything in the game. However, each person is allowed one attribute that will apply permanent bonuses and possibly penalties on rolls. For example, choosing a non-human race or some level of special training. As expected, these attributes will be subject to die rolls which I will perform in the OP of the IC when it goes up.

If anyone has any questions about how this all works, then feel free to ask.

Also, due to the fact that I need everyone to post regularly for this to advance, if you don't make a post within 16 hours of my last post, I'll proceed without you, and your action will be to stand around picking your nose, or something to that effect. If you miss three updates in a row, your character will be killed off in some humorously embarrassing way. If you are expecting to be gone for an extended period of time, then inform me beforehand, and I'll take control of your character until you return, performing actions that I consider to make the most sense given the situation.

Application:
Character Name:
Chosen Attribute:
Intended Effect of Said Attribute:
Secondary Attribute:
Intended Effect of Said Attribute:
Chosen Weapon:
Chosen Armor:

The Current Map.
The Librarian's Map.
Felix's Map.
The Demon's Map.

Seshephe - Sunstroll Plaintraveler
Rainbow Jaffa Pirates - Pottasiumus Consumer of Worlds
Spetznaz Assault Teams - Benjamin Silva
TaQud - Andy Johnson
The Nuclear Fist - Vlad
Nightkill the Emperor - Jessy
Ouearotion - Railen Moniscle
Astrolinium - Julius
The Theban Legion - John Grant
Ende - Carl Manhattan
Nikoa - Jimminy Cricket
The Blazing Aura - Drake Peirson
Steel Confessors - Wallace
Reselia - Bongo-bongo
The Nuclear Fist - Vladislav //// //// |/\\ //// //// //// //// //// /
Seshephe - Solveig Liane Plaintraveler //// //// //|/ //// //// //// //// //// /
Jormengand - Pedro Ignacio |||| |||| |||/ //// //// /\\| |||| //// /
Metanih - Claire Varegin |||| |||| |||| |/// //// //// //// //// /
G-Tech Corporation - Jake Johnson |||| |||| |||| |/// //// //// //// ///\
Vortiaganica - Felix Silvestris |||| |||| |||| |/// //\/ //// //// //// /
Steel Confessors - Furious Magnus
Ouearotion - Kumar Moniscle /|// //// //// //// //// ///| /|// /|// /
KF25 - KF |||| |||| |||| |||| |||| |||| //// /|// /
You-Gi-Owe - Ashkenazi |||| |||| |||| |||| |||| |||| //// //// /
Camelza - Francis Miltank-Batsechs |||| |||| |||| |||| |||| |||| |||| //|/ /
Shadyrya - Ravelin |||| |||| |||| |||| |||| |||| |||| |||| |
Last edited by Olthar on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:21 am, edited 407 times in total.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Seshephe
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Seshephe » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:26 pm

Can I join? (Please send me a message when you start it or I'll probably miss it)

Application
Character Name: Sunstroll Plaintraveler
Chosen Attribute: earth-pony (alien race)
Intended Effect of Said Attribute: can run really fast, is very friendly

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:27 pm

Seshephe wrote:Can I join? (Please send me a message when you start it or I'll probably miss it)

Application
Character Name: Sunstroll Plaintraveler
Chosen Attribute: earth-pony (alien race)
Intended Effect of Said Attribute: can run really fast, is very friendly

Accepted.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 29, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:49 pm

Some info about the situation?
OVERLORD Daniel Mercury of Firstaria
Original Author of SC #5 and SC #30

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:51 pm

Firstaria wrote:Some info about the situation?

About what, specifically?

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:19 pm

It'd be terrible to roll a one on breathing.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Rainbow Jaffa Pirates
Envoy

Founded: May 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rainbow Jaffa Pirates » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:58 pm

Application:
Character Name: Pottasiumus Consumer of Worlds
Chosen Attribute: Out of proportion strength
Intended Effect of Said Attribute: Is very strong for his size, also is incredibly mean.
RAINBOW Jaffa Pirates!
Steal Allll the Jaffas
(\__/)
(='.'=)
("")("")

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:40 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:It'd be terrible to roll a one on breathing.

You gonna join? I'd like it if you did. :)

Rainbow Jaffa Pirates wrote:Application:
Character Name: Pottasiumus Consumer of Worlds
Chosen Attribute: Out of proportion strength
Intended Effect of Said Attribute: Is very strong for his size, also is incredibly mean.

Accepted.

Spetznaz Assault Teams
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Spetznaz Assault Teams » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:50 pm

This looks interesting

Character Name: Benjamin Silva
Chosen Attribute: Monk
Intended Effect of Said Attribute: Hand to hand combat bonus, meditation
Last edited by The God Emperor on Mon Jan 1, 0000, 0:00 AM, infinitely many times in total.

Spetznaz Assault Teams wrote:Tis I! Spetz!

And yes, Len is me and I am Len. Toodles!

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:51 pm

Spetznaz Assault Teams wrote:This looks interesting

Character Name: Benjamin Silva
Chosen Attribute: Monk
Intended Effect of Said Attribute: Hand to hand combat bonus, meditation

Accepted.

TaQud
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Character Name: Andy Johnson
Chosen Attribute: GREAT STAMINA
Intended Effect of Said Attribute: can run long distances without tiring
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:57 pm

TaQud wrote:Character Name: Andy Johnson
Chosen Attribute: GREAT STAMINA
Intended Effect of Said Attribute: can run long distances without tiring

Accepted.

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:04 pm

Olthar wrote:Also, some actions that are just inherently harder to perform will have automatic penalties whenever you try them. For example, if you try and jump a two-foot gap, you will have a normal roll, but if you try and jump a five-foot gap, something much harder, then you'll have a -1 penalty on the roll. If you try to go even further and jump a seven-foot gap, then you'll have a -2, and so on.

I forgot to add a part to the rules, so I thought I'd let you all know.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:07 pm

Olthar wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:It'd be terrible to roll a one on breathing.

You gonna join? I'd like it if you did. :)

I don't know, perhaps payback for you not sticking through AWB...:P

Nah, I would, but my new job will give me no time.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:13 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Olthar wrote:You gonna join? I'd like it if you did. :)

I don't know, perhaps payback for you not sticking through AWB...:P

It's not like this RP is very time consuming. By its very nature, each post is only going to have a couple lines, at most. You can't really write up long and wordy walls o' text when you're only allowed one action per post and you don't even get to resolve it, yourself. :P
Last edited by Olthar on Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:15 pm

Olthar wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:I don't know, perhaps payback for you not sticking through AWB...:P

It's not like this RP is very time consuming. By its very nature, each post is only going to have a couple lines, at most. You can't really write up long and wordy walls o' text when you're only allowed one action per post and you don't even get to resolve it, yourself. :P

No, I mean that my new job will be in South Africa, and chances are good I may not have Internet full stop.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:16 pm

Olthar wrote:It's not like this RP is very time consuming. By its very nature, each post is only going to have a couple lines, at most. You can't really write up long and wordy walls o' text when you're only allowed one action per post and you don't even get to resolve it, yourself. :P

No, I mean that my new job will be in South Africa, and chances are good I may not have Internet full stop.

OH! I see. Well that's unfortunate, then.

TaQud
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:16 pm

Olthar wrote:It's not like this RP is very time consuming. By its very nature, each post is only going to have a couple lines, at most. You can't really write up long and wordy walls o' text when you're only allowed one action per post and you don't even get to resolve it, yourself. :P

Shouldn't there be A McDonald's somewhere though? Map as Evidence
Last edited by TaQud on Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)

The Nuclear Fist
Post Czar

Founded: May 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nuclear Fist » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:23 pm

Character Name: Vlad
Chosen Attribute: 10,000 Dying Rats
Intended Effect of Said Attribute: Can induce vomiting, which allows him to assume direct control of rats.
Last edited by The Nuclear Fist on Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[23:24] <Marquesan> I have the feeling that all the porn videos you watch are like...set to Primus' music, Ulysses.
Farnhamia wrote:You're getting a little too fond of the jerkoff motions.
And you touch the distant beaches with tales of brave Ulysses. . .
THE ABSOLUTTM MADMAN ESCAPES JUSTICE ONCE MORE

TaQud
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:25 pm

The Nuclear Fist wrote:Character Name: Vlad
Chosen Attribute: 10,000 Flying Rats
Intended Effect of Said Attribute: Vomits flying, cannibalistic, disease-ridden rats that proceed to indiscriminately attack enemies.

Are you talking about New York City or Vlad? :rofl:

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:26 pm

Intended Effect of Said Attribute: Vomits flying, cannibalistic, disease-ridden rats that proceed to indiscriminately attack enemies.

Pick a different attribute. That one's not accepted, sorry.

The Nuclear Fist
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nuclear Fist » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:28 pm

Olthar wrote:Pick a different attribute. That one's not accepted, sorry.

Damn, I really wanted to vomit flying rats.

Any suggestions for a different attribute?
[23:24] <Marquesan> I have the feeling that all the porn videos you watch are like...set to Primus' music, Ulysses.

TaQud
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:28 pm

The Nuclear Fist wrote:
Olthar wrote:Pick a different attribute. That one's not accepted, sorry.

Damn, I really wanted to vomit flying rats.

Any suggestions for a different attribute?

Trolling...

Spetznaz Assault Teams
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Spetznaz Assault Teams » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:29 pm

TaQud wrote:

Are you talking about New York City or Vlad? :rofl:

I happen to like New York City.
Last edited by The God Emperor on Mon Jan 1, 0000, 0:00 AM, infinitely many times in total.

Spetznaz Assault Teams wrote:Tis I! Spetz!

And yes, Len is me and I am Len. Toodles!

The Nuclear Fist
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nuclear Fist » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:29 pm

TaQud wrote:Trolling...

Are you accusing me of something?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse