NATION

PASSWORD

Siege of King's Landing (PT/CLOSED)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Delanshar
Minister

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Siege of King's Landing (PT/CLOSED)

Postby Delanshar » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:15 am

Siege of King's Landing
King's Landing, The Crownlands, 298 AL, Month 3, Day 18

The dull sound of marching was growing on the horizon. From the battlements above the Mud gate, where Ser Jacelyn Bywater stood perched, they looked like a sea of ants. Advancing slowly from the distance. Yet even so, Renly's host was a fearsome and scary sight. It had been well over a decade since the last time the great city, built by Aegon the Conqueror centuries past, had come under the shadow of siege.

"Look." A Gold Cloak raised his finger and pointed at a large mass of soldiers. "Those ones bear the Flower banner. Loras's men."

Turning, Ser Jacelyn gave a nasty grimace. "They move to assault our mud gate."

The knight drew his sword. The enemy formation was still far off, yet he wanted to be prepared for anything. Assigned with him to hold the Mud gate, Ser Jacelyn had about 350 Gold Cloaks, 500 Levies and 300 Crossbowmen. This force was augmented by ballistae and cauldrons of boiling oil and pitch. For a few moments they all stood is silence, the marching of the vast host filling the sky like distant thunder.

"Ready the ballistae." Ser Jacelyn barked at last. "When Loras's men are in range, we will send flaming bolts and balls of pitch right at 'em."
Last edited by Delanshar on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Map: http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/8805/delansharinlucerna14.jpg
Factbook: http://iiwiki.wikkii.net/wiki/Delanshar
USA, Israel, Nationalism, Self-Determination, Gay Rights
The EU, Anarchism, Globalism, Primitivism

Machtergreifung
Senator

Founded: Jul 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Machtergreifung » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:12 pm

Randyll Tarly found his men gatherd inside the city, at a street a block back from the walls, roughly between the Lion and Mud gates. He was clad in his own armour, and so was unnoticeable in the crowd of men bearing the banner of Horn Hill. He did not have Heartsbane, a fact which worried him. He needed it back.

A little intrige would not hurt, so he sent a page with a false message from the Kingslayer to fetch his sword for Ilyn Payne. The ruse worked perfectly, the boy returned with the sword, and Randyll Tarly was ready for battle.

His men cleared the street, and blocked off both ends. Tarly's men dragged a table onto the street from a wine shop and the pair spread a map of King's Landing out on it, and starting making plans.

Nymeros Martell
Secretary

Founded: May 19, 2012
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Nymeros Martell » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:22 pm

The southern sky was black with smoke. It rose swirling off a hundred distant fires, its sooty fingers smudging out the stars. Across the Blackwater Rush, a line of flame burned nightly from horizon to horizon, while on this side the defenders had fired the whole riverfront: docks and warehouses, homes and brothels, everything outside the city walls to prevent the attackers easy access to the walls.

Even at the Lion Gate, the air tasted of ashes. Lord Edric Dayne looked across the city and its walls. A great host was here.

Renly's vanguard had appeared nights ago during the black of the moon. King’s Landing had woken to the sight of their tents and banners. They were thousands, scouts said, many times more than all the gold cloaks in the city. They flew the red or green apples of House Fossoway, the turtle of Estermont, and the fox-and-flowers of Florent, and their commander was Lord Beric Dondarrion, the Lightning Lord.
My Lord, Ned thought sadly.

Lord Beric's standard showed a purple lightning bolt on black. But it was the yellow banners that worried the city. Long ragged tails streamed behind them, and in their center was the stag of Baratheon. Renly was here now, and in force.

Ser Joseth Rosewood looked on silently. Ser Benjen spoke up: "The rose of Tyrell as well, and more."

The Lannisters had drafted a few hundred peasant levies in to support the Gold Cloaks and knights, men-at-arms, and squires available. Ser Dagos of Planky Town had spat at that. "They'll break even sooner than the Gold Cloaks, m'lord. Can't use peasants for sorties, they can't fight. When the gates come crashing down they'll make for their own homes and damn the wall... and King Joffrey."

Ned found himself agreeing. He was too young to weird a sword well in battle, but like many of his country men he was a good archer, and had a long spear besides. And command of a gate.
Will they even bother swinging this far?

At the moment they seemed focus on the two gates closest. Renly's host was massing. If they attempted an all-out assault, they might take those gates. Ned had his knights ready to rush to the other gates and gather men if need be. If they settled for a siege, however... Tywin Lannister will surely have heard. No doubt he's on his way even now.

The sun was setting, and time was of the essence. This day would either see Renly triumphant, or the rains of Castamere come around again.

Estruia
Minister

Founded: Mar 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Estruia » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:22 pm

King's Landing, 298 AL, Month 3, Day 18

"Loose!!" shouted one of the Baratheon captains.

A thunderous roar erupted from the far-side of the Blackwater Rush as the long arms of the trebuchets swung forward, releasing an onslaught of massive boulders towards the Mudgate. Mangonels loosed their own contents, sending dozens upon dozens of Tyrion-sized boulders crashing towards the Mudgate and the wall surrounding it.

"Reload!" shouted the same captain.

Once the trebuchets were reloaded, this time with casks of thick, black tar that were set alight so they could set everything they touched aflame, including the wooden Mudgate, and any unfortunate souls who may be nearby. Renly intended on burning the Mudgate to ashes if that's what it took to take the city and destroy the Lannister filth that hid inside.

Back at Lord Renly's main encampment, the men were rushing here and there, setting up the various siege weapons that were brought up from Storm's End, several ballistae, two catapults and a half-dozen scorpions. They were split between the small force of 4,400 Foot that were set to assault the King's Gate, the remaining 16,000 men were spread between there, and the main encampment just beyond weapons range from the Lion Gate.

"I want a watch set out through the countryside. I want to know everything that happens between here and Sow's Horn. Is that understood?" ordered Lord Renly.

"As you wish, My Lord" answered Ser Harold Yyvern, a Sellsword captain from somewhere in Essos.

As the 400 or so riders set out to scout the countryside, Lord Renly had ordered his main force of archers, some 4,000 men, to prepare to harass the Lion Gate come nightfall, with it being pitch-black, none of the defenders would be able to see the arrows, or archers for that matter, when they came in close enough to reach out and pluck the lives of the Lannisters who defended the walls.

It was several more hours before Renly's host was fully deployed. 8,000 Foot, including 2,500 archers, were arrayed in front of the Lion Gate. Lord Renly's mounted force, some 6,000 Heavy Horse, Sellswords and Hedge Knights, along with 2,000 Knights of High repute, were deployed from the King's Gate to the Lion Gate, their standing orders were to throw back any sorties that came forth from King's Landing, and to chase and kill any messenger riders sent out from the city.

The only open area that did not feel the heavy boot of House Baratheon was the area between the Lion Gate and the Narrow Sea, this made Renly uneasy, but he could not spread his forces too thin, which is why he conceded to his Vassal Lords when they advised that he focus his forces on the two main gates.

"Maester!" shouted Renly, whose hair was slightly ruffled from his fitful tossing and turning, rather than sleeping.

"Yes, My Lord?" responded Maester Steffon as he stepped through the entrance to Renly's tent.

"Prepare a raven. I want to send a letter to the Queen Reagent and her bastard" said Renly.

"As you wish, master" replied the Maester.

To: The Whore Cersei and the Abomination Joffrey

Dearest Whore,

Stop this foolishness now. You cannot hope to hold the city against a host such as mine. The Reach and the Stormlands are here to burn you from your seat of Power, and end the abomination that is your son. If you continue this folly, you shall taste the steel of my men's swords, and I will not hold them back until their hatred and bloodlust for the Lannisters is sated. You will not survive should this happen.

End this now and surrender the city, and lay down your arms. Allow me to take control of the city, and your lives shall be spared from my sword. You shall be given a public trial, judged by the Seven and the High Septon. You may yet survive that, but there is no saving your son. He is the product of incest, and his very existence dishonors the Gods and brings shame down until Westeros.

You shall have the day to respond, should you refuse to send word, I shall take it as your continued opposition, and the streets shall run red and gold with the blood of the Lannisters.

Seal,
Renly Baratheon
Lord of Storm's End
Lord of the Stormlands
Lord Paramount of the Dornish Marches and the Stormlands
Righteous Defender of the People and the Seven
31/Genderfluid/ENFP Currently living in the US (Michigan).

Pro: Western Social Democracy, Western Liberal Democracy, Irish Freedom, United Ireland, Scottish Independence, Sinn Fein, SNP, Plaid Cymru, Pan-Celticism, Pan-Germanism, Guaranteed Minimum Income, 2SLGBTQIA+ Rights, Israel, Taiwan

Neutral: Gun Rights, British Labour Party, British Tories, Masculism

Anti: Islamism, Arab Nationalism, Palestine, Russian Imperialism, Ukrainian Nationalism, Pan-Slavism, LDPR, Vladimir Putin, Front Nationale, UKIP, BNP, Third-wave Feminism, Science-denial, Alt-Right Politics, China

Delanshar
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Delanshar » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:54 pm

Maester Pycelle walked slowly into the Royal Apartments in Maegor's Holdfast, his chains clinking loudly across the room. In the corner Cersei was seated by the fire with a large glass of Summerwine. Based on the expression in her eyes and the weird laugh she gave Pycelle as he entered, it was not her first. Jamie stood next to her, dressed head to toe in the armor of the Kingsguard, ready to run out and help prepare the defenses.

"A raven arrived." Pycelle handed the Queen Regent a scroll bearing the stag of Storm's End. "It's from Renly it would seem."

"Give it here." Cersei snatched the scrolled and unrolled it, throwing the lose wax from the seal into the fire. She held the letter close and stared at it blankly for a few moments. She looked up at her Maester, calm at first but then let out a grin. Before long she was laughing like a lunatic, the red wine from her glass spilling and sending dark droplets across the Myrish carpet.

"Look." She stuffed the parchment into her brother's hand.

The Kingslayer took one look at it and grimaced. Handing her back the letter, Jamie gave out a subtle snarl, before grabbing his sword and helmet and storming out the door. "Call my sister a whore." He yelled as he left. "I'll kill you myself, Renly, you prick."

Walking along the battlements of the Red Keep, Jamie could just make out Renly's forces massing outside the gates. The day was getting dark, and for the first time in quite awhile, the Kingslayer almost felt cold in King's Landing. After a moment of contemplation, Jamie decided to make for the King's Gate and mustered 400 seasoned Gold Cloaks, 150 of his best men-at-arms and 50 knights to join him. He'd be more use on the front lines than babysitting his drunk sister.

To: Renly Baratheon, Prick Paramount of the Storm Lands
From: Cersei Lannister, Queen Regent of the Seven Kingdoms

You must think your the toughest guy in all of Westeros, finally wearing armor and marching into Battle after years of letting better men do it for you. wine stain Do you even know how to swing that piece of metal at your hip? Do you even have one?

I'm a woman yet I bet I'm thrice as fierce as you. And then there's Jamie, you've made him quite upset you know.
He might have to kill you.... and your bed pal Loras.
You can't hide behind your fierce elder brother Robert anymore. If you want this city ,your going to have to take it yourself.

Good luck with that... big, ugly wine stain

Seal,
Cersei Lannister,
Queen Regent of the Seven Kingdoms,
Protector of the Realm
Last edited by Delanshar on Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Estruia
Minister

Founded: Mar 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Estruia » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:24 pm

King's Landing, 298 AL, Month 3, Day 19, Early Evening

"My Lord, the Whore has sent her response" said Maester Steffon.

"Excellent, leave the letter on my table, I shall get to it in just a moment" replied Renly as he ran an ivory-toothed comb through his hair.

Maester Steffon left the rolled up piece of parchment on Renly's table, next to Renly's plate of broasted chicken with summer squash and other starchy vegetables. Once Renly was finished combing his hair, he returned to the table and unrolled the parchment, the wax seal was off center and only half of the Whore's official seal was actually pressed into the wax.

Renly's brow furrowed as he looked over the wine-stained page. He flipped over the parchment then looked up at the Maester in disbelief.

"You told me the Whore wrote back, but all I see here is the senseless, moronic dribble of the court's simpleton. What kind of foolery is this?" asked Renly, his eyes full of confusion.

"That is the letter that sent, as you can see it is stained with wine, so I believe it is safe to assume that the Whore was drunk when she wrote this, which would account for the senseless dribble" replied the Maester with his hands behind his back.

"Send for the Stormlords. I have much to discuss with them" said Renly.

"As you wish, my lord" replied the Maester as he dipped out of the tent, leaving Renly at the table.

It was nearly an hour before all of the Stormlords were finally able to join Lord Renly at his table. Each lord was given a plate with food similar to Renly's.

"My Lords, I asked you to gather here so that we may discuss what we shall do" said Renly.

It was nearly dark by the time Renly had finished his discussion with the dozen or so Stormlords. After a brief farewell, they all mounted up and departed, heading back to their respective areas of the battle lines. The Baratheons and their subject lords were prepared to do battle, and that is just what they were going to do. It was not until the dead black of night that the Baratheon soldiers began to move.

The clouds moved across the high moon as several thousand infantry, under the command of Lord Sebastion Errol, of Haystack Hall, advanced forward, towards the King's Gate as several hundred archers skirted north towards the far-side of the King's Gate. Both the footmen and archers wrapped themselves in rough cloth, so that any light from the moon would not glint off of their armor. The several thousand-strong force of infantry carried several dozen ladders that would be used to scale the walls around the gate whilst the bronze-capped battering ram would batter at the gate itself. The Stormlords were hoping that the constant barrage of boulders and barrels of pitch at the Mudgate would hold the city's eye on the river. If that did not work, then the force of some 500 archers that were sent North would loose fire-arrows over the city's walls to distract the defenders who paced the walls.Once the footmen were within running distance of the wall, they broke into a rushed sprint towards the walls, pushing the ladders into the packed earth once they were close enough and able to do so.

Whilst Lord Errol led his men against the King's Gate, Lord Beric Dondarrion did much the same at the Lion Gate, only his force was several thousand men larger than Lord Errol's force, and their advance was heralded by a massive volley from the ballistae and scorpions which fired jugs of refined oils and tar at the gate itself, covering it with flammable materials. A small detachment of Summer Islander mercenaries rushed towards the gates and loosed a volley of fire-arrows, setting the wooden gate aflame. As the Summer Islanders retreated back to the main battle-line, Lord Dondarrion personally led the charge of 5,500 men-at-arms, who carried several dozen ladders and pushed forward the only siege tower fielded by the Baratheons. Archers stood in the top two levels of the siege tower and loosed bodkin-pointed arrows whilst men-at-arms doused the front, sides and innards of the tower in water, so that any fire-arrows fired by the defenders would thud harmlessly into the deer-skins covering the front and sides.

Thousands of archers loosed arrow after arrow, some of them set aflame, over the city walls and into the city itself, or at what defenders they could pick out against the low glimmer of the city's lights. The blackwood shafts of the arrows whistled through the night air, nearly invisible against the darkness of the sky as they screamed towards their targets.

Renly was cautiously optimistic about the initial attack. He had committed approximately 9,000 men-at-arms and 2,000 archers in the first assault against King's Landing. He had kept his mounted men in reserve, so that he would have an effective force to use against sorties, or any force that attempted to flank the Baratheon line. Personally, Renly was protected by nearly half a thousand Knights, many of whom were from the Dornish Marches or the Northern Stormlands, areas that were renowned for their abilities in combat.
31/Genderfluid/ENFP Currently living in the US (Michigan).

Pro: Western Social Democracy, Western Liberal Democracy, Irish Freedom, United Ireland, Scottish Independence, Sinn Fein, SNP, Plaid Cymru, Pan-Celticism, Pan-Germanism, Guaranteed Minimum Income, 2SLGBTQIA+ Rights, Israel, Taiwan

Neutral: Gun Rights, British Labour Party, British Tories, Masculism

Anti: Islamism, Arab Nationalism, Palestine, Russian Imperialism, Ukrainian Nationalism, Pan-Slavism, LDPR, Vladimir Putin, Front Nationale, UKIP, BNP, Third-wave Feminism, Science-denial, Alt-Right Politics, China

Saragrossa
Minister

Founded: Jul 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Saragrossa » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:48 pm

The Flowermen had tip-toed across Blackwater River to the shores of the mud gate but they stayed within the realm of the beach-head to avoid missile fire until they gathered enough firepower. With the Baratheons aiding in the assistance of making afew trechubehts and ballista's, the Florent host had brought three Onagar's which for intended for Storm's End but refitted for the battle of King's Landing. Vortimer Crane had just arrived from rowing across the river and ordered his men into shield wall formations and soon 3000 Tyrell soldiers had arrived at the beaching with several hundred arriving every fifteen or twenty minutes. It was a short row and there was no shortage of courage amongst the attackers. They lined up in makeshift phalanx like formations and began to march in a cohesive and unified attack block. As Vortimer Crane gave the signal to prepare his siege weapons.

Then began the onslaught of wave after wave of Tyrell Siege weapons unloading at the mud-gate as the men approached the Mud Gate in a wedged, shield formation. Due to the lack of training to some of the peasant core, casulities were plentiful but they crept up to the wall and within a moment, the shield wall broke up and revealed dozen's of ladders which the Tyrell forces planted against the wall and begin nailing massive iron spikes into the acutal wall itself in an attempt to stablize the ladders to prevent sabotage. Vortimer Crane himself descended upon the first wave, leading by example as the Tyrell host established an archer bay and began unloading their arrows. They had about 900 archers and 100 longbowmen and began to use them to their effectiveness by firing fire arrows over the wall and unto the infantry massed behind it.

" C'mon Lads! Lets break down these walls and get us some Capital pussy to fuck tonight! " Crane chuckled out as the men roared out, the sound of thousands of Tyrell men closing in would surely make the peasant levies break.

King's Landing, 298 AL, Month 3, Day 19, Midnight

Loras's force of twenty five hundred men dismounted near the wall at King's gate and Loras marched to Lord Errol.

" Lord Errol! " Loras approached the man and his retinue within their command tent. " We are going to take this wall if possible by tonight and overwhelm them..Tell me what you have in store? " Loras looked at the carnage he witnessed as Baratheons were getting cut down by the Gold cloaks, it was the nature of the combat however they were making head ground. He saw several men had scaled the wall and were put down by what it seemed to be Tarly banners.

" Who is commanding the defense of that Gate? It looks like Tarly colors! " Loras looked at Lord Errol and he gripped his blade. " The answer does not matter. I am going to scale the battlements and take that wall! " Loras after addressing Lord Errol left the tent and gathered his forces.

[img]http://awoiaf.westeros.org/images/9/99/House_Tyrell.PNG
[/img]
King's Landing, 298 AL, Month 3, Day 19, Midnight

Willias Tyrell stood all alone in the night. He asked to command the King's gate and he would defend it to the last as he ordered the gate to be enforced. He ordered trenches to be dug in facing the gate, so once the gate fell, it would be more melee combat, he had his boiling oil and sand which come to a complete boil. His catapults were armed with a Wildfire vases however due to The King's lack of preparations, he had only ten such vases, hardly enough to do any damage. At his command, he counted 700 of his countrymen, mostly Tarly soldiers, he had 200 of his household guard, 50 knights, 400 Gold Cloaks, 100 experienced sell swords, 1400 Peasant levies which were decreasing by the hour due to the other needs which were being redirected to the Mud Gate.

Willias ordered his Household guard to man the Courtyard and the trenches while his Tarly forces would man the wall. He severely doubted the capability of treacherous gold cloaks and peasants to man the walls. The Peasants were kept in reserves as mostly as a cushion while the gold cloaks were centered at the gate to hold it once it broke. His force comprised of about 300 Archers and crossbowmen who rained down Fiery death to the marching baratheons with flaming arrows but it wasn't nearly enough to put a dent into the mass of bodies. Willias saw the siege engines being brought up so he ordered his 14 catapults to use the only reserve of wild fire to scare and intimidate the baratheons. He had only one shot and it was better to use now while he could before he lose the capability of his counter-massive batteries.

Within that moment, a barrage of fire descending upon the baratheons in a cyclone of fiery matter which swept upon the marching soldiers.

Willias held back the grin on his face for he knew that this was just the very start of the battle for King's Landing. Willias took to the high tower to address his men as they looked out to the wildfire sweeping the first rank of men.

" Is it in vain truth that I cannot extenuate this matter. We may now all cry for peace, and a truth but there is no peace. This war has begun. The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to ours ears the clash of resounding arms. Our brethren are already in the field, while we stood idly by. Thats is why the enemy is our doorstep. They seek to sack our city, take our women, break our homes, destroy our lives. I say if Life is so dear, or peace so sweet, is to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, FORBID IT IN THE NAME OF THE GODS.. I know what course you may want to take, but as for me, GIVE ME GLORY OR GIVE ME DEATH, LET US HOLD OUR FAIR CITY! IF SHE IS TO BE DESTROYED, THEN US TAKE THESE BARATHEON WHORES TO GRAVES WITH US! " Willias cried out as the sound of a thunderous applause and war cries flooded streets of King's Landing as they smashed their shields and their swords and prepared themselves for the next wave of attackers.
Last edited by Saragrossa on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" For Death & Glory "
Factbook of Saragrossa

Political Compass;

Economic Left/Right: -2.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.69

Delanshar
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Delanshar » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:38 am

King's Landing, 298 AL, Month 3, Day 19, early morning

Archers frantically crowded the battlements above the Mud gate, shooting fire arrows at the advancing host and pouring pots of boiling oil and red hot sand at the mass of people now crowded around the base of the walls. Ladders were swinging on to the wall in multiple places and it was clear the enemy Tyrell forces planed on scaling it in force. Orange shadows danced on the armor of friend and foe alike, as the opposing masses of troops clashed in a bloody mess on the battlements, and arrows rained on the soldiers from above.

"Rally on ME!" Ser Jacelyn Bywater raised his sword and looked to his embattled men. The Knight then charged up the stairs, his gold half cape fluttering behind him, to join the melee. A group of about 50 Gold Cloaks ran after him to reinforce the men already on the wall. "Push these cravens out of our city!"

Ser Jacelyn ran through the crowd and right towards one of the ladders, hacking and stabbing with his sword. He grabbed a flaming corpse, a dead Gold Cloak by the look of it, and threw the body down at the men climbing. He followed this up by thrusting down at them with his sword. In a split second Ser Jacelyn was running again, this time towards one of the Ballistae. One of the men-at-arms guarding the war machine was slumped over the parapets, an arrow smoldering in his neck. Yet otherwise it was in good working order.

"Here." He handed the operators a clay jar in the shape of an apple, and helped them load it. "Use the wildfire against those accursed catapults before they kill us all."

As the fighting continued on the wall, Gold Cloaks and Peasant Levies, as well as some reinforcements that Willias sent to the Mud Gate, all massed up behind the large door. Rocks were thundering into the wood, as Catapults in the distance bombarded the gate with consistent ferocity. The levies were frantically trying to fortify the pounding gate with chairs, logs and chains, whilst the City Watch formed a semicircle around the gate with pikes lowered.

Royal Apartments, Maegor's Holdfast

The Queen Regent was sipping wine in her chair, clearly drunk beyond normalcy. Around her were her servants, several dozen Lannister Guards, Lady Tanda and Tommen, who was wearing gilded steel armor even though he couldn't beat an emaciated peasant levy. Margeary Tyrell was probably there too, but if she was Cersei was too drunk to see her.

At the door, Joffrey was busy readying himself and giving his sword some practice swings. With the exception of the Kingslayer, who was by now likely already fighting at the wall and Ser Preston (who was in Dorne with Myrcella), the entire Kingsguard surrounded the young King, as well as Sandor Clegane, wearing his dull grey armor. Joffrey was eager for a fight and could barely contain himself. He almost killed one of the handmaids by accident with a practice parry.

"Alright mother, I shall be on my way." The King handed gave his mother a wave and looked around the room of frightened women boastfully. "The King will keep you safe."

Joffrey then disappeared through the door, with his guard trailing close behind him.

Machtergreifung
Senator

Founded: Jul 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Machtergreifung » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:04 pm

News passed to Tarly as the battle progressed.

Tarly had waited long enough. The city was going to fall, and there was nothing Tarly or his seven hundred men could do. He gave orders for the men to move out, towards the Iron Gate, and Tarly and Ambrose rode on ahead.

When Tarly arrived at the Iron Gate he found the defenders non-existant. There was a dozen peasant soldiers under the command of a single old Goldcloak. With the enemy attacking from the south, the northern gates had been stripped of good men and sent south to hold the walls.

Tarly and Ambrose reigned in their horses.

"Open the gates!" Tarly shouted in the voice that made men hurry to his command. "The King has commanded us to sortie out. Open the gates!"

The peasants looked to the Goldcloak, who bowed quickly and hastended to obey. Seeing this, the peasants assisted in swinging open the heavy wooden gates. Tarly gave a signal, and his men rode out. As every one of Tarly's men had a horse, and with another seventy remounts, it took about a minuite for the entire of Tarly's seven hundred to ride out.

By the time anyone inside the city realized that a Horn Hill banner was nowhere to be seen, Tarly's men had turned of the Rosby Road and were safe in the countryside north of King's Landing, with the city and the battle far to the south.

Delanshar
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Delanshar » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:45 am

OOC: Bump

Nymeros Martell
Secretary

Founded: May 19, 2012
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Nymeros Martell » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:17 pm

The peasants weren't holding. And they wouldn't last the night, Ned saw. They slipped away from every post as the never-ending waves of Tyrell and Baratheon men crashed on the walls of the city. The Gold Cloaks wouldn't last much long. Perhaps everyone else was fooling themselves. But the Gold Cloaks would break the instant those gates were breached. They'd be on the heels of the peasants making for their own homes. The sellswords would last longer. And the experienced men-at-arms and knights would probably be simply overwhelmed and killed.

So far the night did not look good. Ser Timoth, short and lanky even in plate, smiled. "Either way we'll be back in Dorne." The thought disturbed Ned. Dornishmen often spoke of 'being sent back to Dorne' when they died.

Ser Jaime Lannister was leading a sortie, as was Ser Jacelyn Bywater. Ned knew it was the only way to hold back the battering rams.

"Ser Benjen Blackmont, take twenty men and return to Maegor's Holdfast. Be ready to seal it should the gates be breached." Ser Benjen nodded and departed. The septa was also in Maegor's, though Ned would not say it. He wanted her safe.
Ned looked around. "Ser Ryone, Ser Timoth, Ser Dagos, and Ser Lewyn. Ride to the gates not under attack and bring what knights, men-at-arms, squires, and the like you can to the King's Gate, Lion Gate, and Mud Gate. And some Gold Cloaks, if their officers can budge them. Leave the peasants." The knights descended and took to their horses.

The Lion Gate itself was under attack by none other than the Lightning Lord, Beric Dondarrion. That I should face you, my lord, Ned thought. The Lannister guardsmen and knights under his command were making a great fight of it. Men were trying to force their way up ladders, and even a siege tower was being rolled forward. Lannister serjeants should orders, and the small amount of wildfire they had was launched on the attacks.

Ser Arneld, a local knight, was calling out: "Aim for the tower! Bring down the tower!" The pots of wildfire were launched with reckless abandon. It was a miracle of the Seven that none were dropped. It was a similar miracle that one found the tower and set it ablaze with the green substance. The screams of men soon followed.

Gods, Ned pleaded, make their end quick.

The night was dragging on, as was the battle. Calon, a serjeant and man-at-arms to Ned, was by his side the entire time with shield raised. So was the silent Ser Joseth, warhammer at his side. Before long his riders returned. Sers Ryone, Dagos, and Lewyn reported the Old Gate, Gate of the Gods, and Iron Gate were sending all they could spare to Ser Jaime and Ser Jacelyn.

But it was Ser Timoth who rode back with disgust and even fear on his face. "Gold Cloaks won't budge, m'lord. Refuse to leave the Dragon Gate for any reason."

Lord Edric Dayne descended to the ground level and approached his knight. "Is the King not a sufficient reason?"

"The Gold Cloak officer is a right prickly man. And craven, if you ask me. He says if the King wants him, the King can come tell him. He says he won't be moved by a lord of the Small Council."

"I see." That steamed Ned, though he did his best to hide it. "Ser Timoth, you will return with me. Ser Joseth, Calon, gather my men and my Gold Cloaks." He hated leaving the gate while under siege, but this officer needed to be put in his place. And his attitude was disturbing. Was he some secret Stannis man?

The Dornishmen and Gold Cloak riders made speed through the empty streets. No one wished to be out as the smoke and sounds of battle filled the air. A handful of Gold Cloaks on foot kept the peace with patrols, but only a handful. From his right Ned could see the Great Sept of Baelor, and hear the rising voices of the faithful in prayer singing for deliverance from the attacking host. Through the city square they made haste down the Street of the Sisters and skirted around the empty Dragonpit. His Dornishmen were silent. His Gold Cloaks, hand picked from the groups he'd had recruited and the officers he trusted, were mostly silent. A few of the newer men made soft jests to stay their nerves.

At the Dragon Gate it was quiet. Gold Cloaks and a small number of guards, knights, squires and such milled about, awaiting attack. Not that it was likely to come here. Renly was surely almost through on the other side of the city. Perhaps Ser Jaime and Ser Jacelyn still held them.

Lord Edric rode forth and spoke in his most lordly voice of authority. "Men, we need all the volunteers possible to cross to the King's Gate and reinforce the defenses there." He gave them a look that explained he'd brook no discussion on the matter. Several knights and other men stepped forward. That was when the officer spoke up: "Hold you. All of you!" Sure enough, many did.

The Gold Cloak looked at Ned. "I'm the gate commander here. Entrusted by His Grace and Commander Slynt. Me nor my men will move for anyone else, especially some Dornish boy with-" He halted and screamed as Ser Joseth Rosewood wordlessly kicked his destrier forward and raised his warhammer, bringing down on the Gold Cloak's helm. The crunching sound of metal and his unintelligible grunt as the officer collapsed held every man's attention. Ser Joseth simply wheeled around and rode over the body.

"I shall say this again: volunteers." Men spoke loudly and moved forward, and were soon on their way to the other gates.

Ned stopped to look over the gates defenses before returning to the Lion Gate. The noise of battle made it clear that while no breach had yet been made, the Baratheon and Tyrell hosts were not slowing. The night was still dark, but a hint of morning was in the air. Will I see the morning.

That was when a man called out. "Banner, m'lord. From the direction of the Rosby Road. Riders!" At that the men ran to their posts, even some peasants. They readied weapons and squinted out into the darkness. Whatever scout had caught the riders had eyes like an eagle. Or more likely an owl. Ned went up to the top of the gate and looked out. Behind him Calon was looking in the opposite direction.

A Dornishman called out, "M'lord, it's Ser Gerold Dayne!" Sure enough, it was. Out of the black rode forth a small party, six or seven men with a Dayne standard bearer.

Ned wiped his brow with a cloth. "By the old gods and new..." His cousin.

Ser Gerold rode forth with his helm under one arm. His silver hair was flying in the night breeze, and torch light revealed his clean-shaven, handsome face. He was considered one of the most beautiful men in Dorne. And a great sword. Many knew him as Darkstar. He wheeled his horse towards the gate and looked up. Casually he asked, "What goes, Ned?"

"There's the Stranger to pay, coz."

"Can you hold?"

"I believe I can." Below he called to his Gold Cloaks to open the gate. Before long he was in his saddle and riding alongside his cousin, who was far from Dorne.

Ser Gerold was matter-of-fact. "Renly Baratheon probably had ten thousand men assaulting the gates."

"I'm sure there are a lot more behind them." Ned smiled, trying to emulate his older cousin's calm attitude.

"We have about ten thousand ourselves coming down the Rosby Road. We're coming down with all possible speed. The foot were right behind me."

Ned held his smile, "And you couldn't resist riding in first to see how I was?"

"My lord." Darkstar had his own smile. "Now let's go surprise Renly Baratheon. And a few others, I suppose."

The Dornishmen on the walls looked out and saw a flurry of banners appearing from the darkness. The flames of Uller, cockatrice of Gargalen, leopards of Vaith, golden hand of Allyrion, dragon of Toland, lemons of Dalt, quill of Jordayne, porticullis of Yronwood, were known, but also the sword and star of Dayne, scorpions of Qorygle, vulture of Blackmont, skull of manwoody, and more. Beneath those banners thousands of Dornishmen poured through the Old, Iron, and Dragon gates. The few peasants and Gold Cloaks holding those posts cheered. The morning was near, Ned felt it. He wondered how the battle was faring on the far side of the city.

"Dorne is come," Ser Joseth said softly.
Last edited by Nymeros Martell on Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delanshar
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Delanshar » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:44 pm

King's Landing, 298 AL, Month 3, Day 19 early morning

The sky was just beginning to lighten to a dark, sullen blue. At the Mud Gate, the fighting was continuing with the same ferocity that had been going on all night. The enemy waves seemed endless, but for now the gate still held...if only by the edge of a sharp blade. Ser Jacelyn Bywater was on the battlements thrusting with his bloody dirk in one hand and a butcher's knife in the other, having lost his sword an hour ago to an aggressive Tyrell knight. All around him, men fought and died and steel rang loud through the air.

Earlier he had been defending a nearby ballistae as it shot wildfire pots at the Florent Catapults in the distance. This seemed successful for a time. Yet he had put too much trust in the peasant levies working the machine and when one of them got clumsy with a jar, the whole thing was aflame in a second, it's operators screaming as they were engulfed by green fire. Ser Jacelyn was lucky to escape with his life.

"M'lord." A Lannister man-at-arms in a crimson cape and battered lion crested halfhelm sprinted up the stairs to meet the Knight as he was trying to push yet another ladder off the wall. "Ser, I have news!"

"What?!" Ser Jacelyn turned. His face was a terrifying sight, caked with the blood of dead men. He had eyes so bloodshot, he looked half a monster. "What could possibly be more important than this?!"

The soldier narrowly dodged a flying arrow. "The gates in the North, they've opened. A host is marching through."

"Who? Arryn? Stann-"

"Dornishmen, m'lord, a host of Dornishmen have entered the city. Lord Edric's own cousin rode with them. We're saved!"

Ser Jacelyn could scarcely believe it. All night he had been fighting as if these were his last moments alive. All night, defeat and death had hung in the air, inevitable like winter. A grin grew across the knight's face, and he laughed. In the midst of battle, with death all around him, he laughed and smiled like a father seeing his newborn son. Just as soon, his smile faded and he looked around. The battle was far from won. The Tyrell host continued to assail the walls, with Renly's men still pushing forward elsewhere. This was not the time for euphoria, not yet.

"Send word to Ser Jamie and Willias at the King's Gate. They must know of this development at once."

Ser Jacelyn paused for a moment.

"And then have another rider go up to the Red Keep. Her Grace must be informed immediately."

The soldier bowed and ran back down the steps, past the Gold Cloaks massed by the gate, and the scattered fires and corpses littered all around. He managed to find his mount soon enough, and without further words rode back into the distance. Ser Jacelyn turned back towards the fighting and raised his bloody dirk up high.

"Dawn is coming, men! Reinforcements are here, we will carry this day sure as the sun will rise from the sea." The knight pointed his steel towards the eastern horizon and Blackwater Bay. "Fight on, for your KING!"

Saragrossa
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saragrossa » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:04 pm

King's Landing, 298 AL, Month 3, Day 19 early morning

Vortimer Crane had managed a steady beachhead and had already asmassed a new set of ballista's which were running stones and corpses over the Mud-Gate. It had been a brutal night with hundreds lay died and hundreds more crying out for death. The Tyrell host was the crossroads and reports had came in that a Dornish host had arrived. Fearing for his flank, Vortimer Crane cried out for a renewed thrust. " Order the Reserves to fall in, gather all forces, we smash the gate now! "

Ser Crane gathered his infrequent of 100 Tyrell Knights and marched to the Gate to relieve his beleaguered Men at Arms which were enduring the suffering of arrows and stones being pelted at them while they tried to breach the gate. Vortmier ordered Black stone(Coal) to be placed at the gate door and be burned to weaken the door as they hoped to penetrate the gate and enter the courtyard. It would take a hour or so but Ser Crane ordered all Tyrell forces to advance and climb Ladders and take the wall. He ensured by committing every thing he had he would storm the walls and breach the gate and hopefully seize the battlements before Noon.

Loras's Rentinue of twenty five hundred had now arrived infront of the King's Gate and dismounted from their high horses. It took a moment for his men to turn around and face their Lord as Loras Tyrell took the front stage and called out to his men. " This is our Domain! Our Kingdom come, these godless savages who ways are lost. I know some of you do not have the strenght to carry on, I say to you, rise ONE LAST TIME MEN OF THE REACH! " He pointed directly at the defenders. " No more servants of the WEAK! Every tower will be razed to the dust from which it came! No one will be spared! No remnant will be saved. My will be done until the day I see this kingdom has been won! " Loras unsheathed his sword and waved his personal bodyguard on. " FOR THE REACH, FOR OUR HONOR, DEATH AND GLORY! THE GODS ARE AWAITING FOR US! " Loras screamed out as he charged the siege ladders, personally running up the ladder dodging various stones and arrows as he managed to reach the top. He grabbed a defender by the collar and threw him over and unto the wave of Tyrell underneath him.

He pulled himself up and leaped over the stone wall, unsheathing his second sword and began to enter a frenzy of carnage. He charged at one defender, raising his sword to match his before swinging downwards with his second blade, slicing him from thigh to thigh in a circular motion before kicking him back off the wall. He did a pivot and thrusted his free blade into a man's mid section while using the monument of matching the previous soldier's blade he swung downwards and a cut a defender from shoulder to groin, severing the men in half. Loras screamed in a blood fury as the man's organs spilt unto the floor. Loras continued in a frenzy for several minutes, repeating cutting down Defenders like butter while More Tyrell soldiers made it up the wall and a beach head was formed.

Willias watched his brother decimate his wall of defenders and he quickly ordered his household guard to march up and meet Loras at the wall to hopefully contain his attack and regain the wall. However one the order was given, the Tyrell men under Willias saw Loras and they quickly turned around and a melee ensued within their ranks as they were turned on each other and the 100 men fell to a mere sixity one and they joined forces with Loras. Willias was in shock as he saw the Initiative of King's Gate slipping from his grasp so he ordered his archers to reform and unload at the wall. Using Flag signals, 100 Gold Cloaks marched behind the court yard and rose their crossbows and short bows and unleashed a fury of arrows at the defenders.

Loras took an arrow to the leg and he fell to a single knee as he hit repeatedly by an arrow to the chest, the shoulder and left arm. Loras winched in pain and cried out as he struggled to pull himself up. All around him, baratheon and tyrell soldiers had fallen and he saw a wave of Gold Cloaks sprinting aup the stairs to regain the wall. Loras threw himself up as he gathered his strength and lifted his sword and swing upwards at a gold cloak charging at him. He slashed one in a such a fury that his face was torn off as he lumbered forward he brought his blade down and swung downwards severing a men in half from his lower back. Loras almost on the verge of blacking out fell back to the stone wall and pulled the arrow in his left arm out. He cried out in pain as he looked down at his men rushing to meet the gold cloaks. He had seized the wall for his men but the battle had just warmed up.
Last edited by Saragrossa on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
" For Death & Glory "
Factbook of Saragrossa

Political Compass;

Delanshar
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Delanshar » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:03 pm

Jamie Lannister came riding up towards the King's Gate, his golden hair matted and his gilded steel armor stained with blood and dirt. He was followed by a detachment of four hundred seasoned Gold Cloaks, a few dozen knights and about ninety Lannister men-at-arms. His company gave off a choking stench that reeked of earth and sewage. All night they had been scurrying around through tunnels and secret passageways; conducting small hit and run sorties and confronting sappers. Yet Jamie had had enough, the southern gates were under frontal assault and the Kingslayer was not one to be absent from the heat of battle.

"It's the Knight of Flowers." One of the Lannister Guards gestured towards the wall. "He's wounded, by the look of it. But still fighting fiercely. That one won't go down easy, I reckon."

The Kingslayer nodded and then turned to glance at Willias Tyrell. The man was busy coordinating the remainder of the gates defenses. "Send fifty of my guard to go help him in his fight." Jamie gestured towards Willias. "The rest of you with me."

Jamie spurred his destrier forward, clutching his sword tight in his hands. "I want that wall secured!" He yelled. "Kill whats left of the enemy men, but leave the Loras boy to me."

His soldiers charged towards the wall as Jamie proceeded to quietly dismount. With the sounds of war all around him, the Kingslayer strode towards the stairs, his Kingsguard Cape fluttering in the wind. Loras was young, and arrogant but gifted beyond his years. Not unlike Jamie in the heat of his youth. So much had changed since those days, but somethings remained the same. He was still a member of the Kingsguard, sworn to defend what many would call a abomination. Yet now the abomination was his own blood.

As he walked up the steps to the battlements, Jamie scanned the battle for Loras. The wall was practically overflowing with the bodies of dead soldiers. In many cases, there were arrows sticking out of their lifeless corpses. Other times they were missing limbs or had deep gashes. The Kingslayer even spotted one piece of meat that was so far gone from it's original form that he couldn't even tell what killed it.

"They're throwing everything they've got!" A Gold Cloak yelled as waves of Tyrell forces charged the walls.

Ser Jacelyn looked down at the sea of men scaling the walls and gave off an angry grunt. Quickly, he reached and grabbed a large cauldron of red hot sand. "Take that, Flower Men." He yelled as he dumped the contents at the men below. Ser Jacelyn was exhausted and he wanted nothing more than for the battle to be over, yet no end was in sight.

He looked gravely at the walls and fighting all around him. The gate had not been breached, but it was looking perilously weak and he could see what looked like smoke rising from the outside. On the battlements, the fighting continued to rage. Tyrell forces were beginning to gain the upper hand, as more and more men scaled the numerous ladders and pushed back the exhausted defenders. While the Gold Cloaks held best they could with their pikes and swords, the Archers were falling back to the rooftops of houses behind the wall. There they would be out of harms way, for now.

"Hold them off as long as you you can!" Ser Jacelyn roared to his embattled comrades. "Help is on the way!"

With that, the Knight jumped again into the thick of battle, waiving his dirk in one hand. As he swung and thrust his steel, he thought of the Dornishmen. He needed their aid and hoped they would arrive soon
Last edited by Delanshar on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Delanshar
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Delanshar » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:48 am

Bump

Saragrossa
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saragrossa » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:16 pm

King's Landing, 298 AL, Month 3, Day 19, Morning

Loras had securely managed to hold off any comers as he valiantly stood his ground, dispatching any that came into contact with him. However in his wounded state, he knew it would be a matter of time until a luckily soldier would deliver his final blow but he stood ever vigilant in maintaining the "beachhead" that his forces fought so hard for. It would take minutes more before dozens of Tyrell soldiers would re-enforce him and he saw a wave of Gold cloaks marching up the stairs. Within that moment Garse Flowers pulled Loras from the wall and unto a pile of bodies. His Brother Garrett took point and defended the staircase against the on-comers. They were both cousins to Loras, from Garth Tyrell but they were bastards. Garett cried out that he saw The Kingslayer approaching. He was quivering as he knew the fearsome reputation of Jaime. " He can't take us all on! " The Bastard cried out as he saw a company rush up the ladders to support Loras. " For the Lord of the Reach, WE MUST MAINTAIN OUR ADVANCE! " Garth cried out as he lifted a spear from the ground and threw it like a javelin at Jaime Lannister as the men prepared to lay down their lives to defend the weak Loras.

However it was truly Carnage as the Tyrell forces began to smash their equipment against the King's Gate. It was only a matter of time before their battering rams began to wear down the joints. Several Baratheon troops placed coals at the base of the door and began to igniate them with fire to cause the metal to weaken to ease the battering rams.

Meanwhile, with the Walls being scaled by the amassed horde of Tyrell forces at the base of the walls. Willias knew it was a matter of time before they were beaten and he ordered his Household troops to be committed at the wall. He ordered about 150 Tyrell Men at Arms and Knights to march alongside the Gold cloaks and seize the wall back. It was only option he had left, to commit his reserve elite troops to ensure the siege would last longer and to buy time for hopefully the Dornish relief to support them.

Vortimer Crane had committed everything he had at the Mud Gate and they were slowly taking their toll on the Lannister forces. However, this was also hitting up every bodied man he had and he was worried if the gate should fall. Would he have any forces left to sack the city? Vortimer saw out of the what appeared to be Ser Jacelyn due to the fact he was the captain of the Mud Gate and he lost a hand at the battle of Pyke and he saw a one armed man leading the charge. He Ordered his retinue of Rickard Tyrell, Jon Bulwer and Jon Fossoway to link up with him and counter charge since he was open and exposed himself to attack his siege equipment.

He lifted his War Lance into the air as he gathered about 45 of his Nearby knights and ordered a charge to be commenced on the rear of their formation. Vortimer rode off quickly as his men raced to catch up with him. He straightened his form as his eyes had picked out Ser Jacelyn and he raced at him with all his fury and strength as he yelled out " FOR THE REACH! FOR LORD LORAS! " He cried out as he attempted to smash the Knight in the back with his lance. He was closely followed by his men who struck with their own massive charge. The resulting battle was pure carnage as the knights hacked each other and lances were broken, shields shattered.

At the Mud gate, the Tyrell forces had established a sizeable hold on the walls as they were cutting down defenders and they began to overwhelm the under staffed defenders.
" For Death & Glory "
Factbook of Saragrossa

Political Compass;

Delanshar
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Delanshar » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:59 pm

"Duck, Milord!" A Gold Cloak rushed up to Jamie Lannister and shoved him out of the way. The Kingslayer hit the floor with a thud before quickly hopping to his feet. Furiously he turned to the soldier who had just pushed him and yelled.

"What in the seven hells was that for?" Jamie reached out and grabbed the soldier, and yanked his cloak towards him. The young man fell backwards lifelessly, a spear burrowed deep in his chest. Jamie's green eyes bulged and he looked up towards the battlements. Gold Cloaks were charging up the stairs, as well as some loyalist Tyrell men-at-arms commanded by Willas. It was impossible in the dust, smoke and screaming to see where the javelin had come from. Still, Jamie had an idea who threw it.

"Cowards." Jamie yelled as he pushed the body aside. Loras must be more craven than I imagined. Rather than come out and fight me, he sulks in the shadows and throws Javelins. The Kingslayer wasted no time in joining the charge, eager as always to satisfy his blood-lust with the clash of steel and spilling of blood.

The Battle for the Mud Gate was growing dire. Ser Jacelyn had disappeared from view of the defenders as a large mass of knights came charging into the fray. The fighting was so think it was impossible to see whether the Commander of the Mud Gate was unharmed.

"Where is he?" A tall hedge knight by the name of Osmund Kettleblack looked over the walls towards where Ser Jacelyn was last seen.

"Bugger him." A stout bearded man-at-arms threw down his sword. "The fight is lost, I'm gonna yiel-

A spray of red splattered against the merlons of the the wall as Osmund's longsword slashed into the bearded man's neck. "No you won't, Craven!" The Hedge knight yelled, before picking up the dead man and hurling him off the walls, down onto the sea of flowers. The knight then turned and, hacking and slashing wildly, ran right at a bunch of Tyrell men-at-arms coming up a ladder. By now most of the archers had relocated to rooftops behind the mud gate, or died trying. From there they fired volley after volley over the walls.

The only remaining defenders on the walls were Gold-Cloaks, knights, and men-at-arms, fighting defiantly but clearly unable to handle the numbers of the incoming host. Help needed to come, and soon.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse