NATION

PASSWORD

Operation Southern Cross (Excalibur IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gibberan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gibberan » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:54 pm

As the Boers got audibly closer and closer to the galley doors, Smollett ushered everyone to be quiet. This was it. He whispered something to the two marines on either side of him and told them to pass the message on down the line. "Only shoot when I give the signal" he said, indicating with a flick of his wrist that a spoon's near silent clang against the metal counter would be the cue to rain fire upon the enemy. As it was hurriedly passed on, Smollett knelt down, took out his pistol and aimed it over the counter; only the very tip of the barrel was visible; the same went for every other gun poking out from behind it, which looked to be multiple assorted ketchup and mustard containers in the near-pitch black darkness.

He wasn't sure if his initial message had gone all the way down the line to the end yet, but there was an instant hush that silenced any whispering when the sound of the creaking galley doors opened. His muscles visibly tensed, and the men next to him were shivering, ironically in an attempt not to make any noise. None was made, of course, the marines were extra quiet, but still Smollett was worried that the slightest slip-up could result in a massacre.

Adjusting his eyes, he could make out the dark figures of the Stormjaers quietly creeping between the tables, getting closer and closer. Wait for the command, Smollett mentally urged the marines, as if they could hear. He grasped the spoon tightly, getting it closer and closer to the counter as the Stormjaers lined up in his sights. He flinched when one of them said, in Afrikaans. "Is dit die fokken kombuis?" "Toegesluit, volg net die luitenant." came the Afrikaans reply.

Then a loud clang, metal-to-metal, broke the silence.

The Boer soldiers stood, shocked and alarmed, as bullets rained upon them.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his son in the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through himJohn 3:16-17

RP Name the Ambrosian Confederal Republic, or Ambrose
(you can still call me Gibbs)

Proud Esquarian!
(but also consider Kylaris)
Kassaran wrote:NSG, the one place where your opinion is the wrong one if it aint liberal enough for them... unless you're me, I'm well known for generally just despising human rights and the whole idea of entitlement.
Timothia wrote:My bad, I should have known better than to challenge the unchanging hive-mind of NSG. Won't happen again any time soon.

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:05 am

Gibberan wrote:Then a loud clang, metal-to-metal, broke the silence.
The Boer soldiers stood, shocked and alarmed, as bullets rained upon them.

Hidden in his alcove, Halpin instinctively curled himself up into a ball, his eyes wide and unblinking from fright as the firefight exploded into life only feet away from him. He was a complete tenderfoot when it came to combat - indeed, he wasn't even armed - which, in the back of his mind, he felt justified him going off and hiding. He'd done his job pretty well. No shame in knowing when to make a graceful exit.

At least it ended quickly. The Marine contingent on board made quick work of the Boer boarders - a furious volley of Enfield fire cut down most of them before Halpin could even hear any retaliatory fire. There were a few errant shots that Halpin guessed came from the Afrikaners (he couldn't actually see what was going on from his nook, after all), but they were quickly silenced.

Then, to his surprise, he saw one of the intruders scrabbling out of the galley on his hands and knees. Blood gushed from a wound on his face. The lone survivor of the ambush desperately crawled forwards as the Marines fired at him, their bullets scarring the walls, blowing chunks out of any unfortunate woodwork that came in the way, and ricocheting crazily through the passage. Halpin watched, wide-eyed, as the man dove behind a hatch for cover, and then hastily took to his heels, running as fast as he could towards one of the exit ladders. As the boarder turned to see if he was being followed, the Ensign caught a clear glimpse of his face - it was the leader of the group (again, he assumed), the one who had shoved him, his sneer turned into a mask of fear and confusion.

He's going to get away!

In that moment, Halpin's understandable fear and naturally cautious mindset was subsumed by the exhilarating, righteous fire of vengeance. He could see what he had to do in his mind, pretty as a picture. Before he even made the conscious decision to follow through, he was up on his feet, running as fast as he could to catch up with his fleeing foe. He charged right across the Marine firing line unconsciously too, his ardor perhaps serving to shield him from getting caught in the crossfire.

The target was so wrapped up in his escape that he didn't even notice Halpin on his tail until it was almost too late - as he swung around to charge up the steep ladder, he finally saw the gangly Ensign chasing after him in hot pursuit, aiming to try and grab the Boer by the legs as he climbed. Just as he was about to get a grip on his quarry, though, the Boer slammed his booted heel right into Halpin's nose with a nasty *crack*, sending the Ensign reeling - only one slim arm looped around the railing preventing him from simply toppling ignominiously back onto the deck. His internal fire unfazed by the pain and the copious amounts of blood now pouring from his nostrils, Halpin made one more try and grabbing his quarry before he slipped out of reach - and just managed to snag him around the knee. Unfortunately, this had the side effect of destabilizing him enough so that he lost his grip on the railing, sending the two of them plummeting to the deck below. The gangly Ensign was lucky - he managed to roll a little with the impact. Bruising would probably be the worst injury he'd suffer from it, aside from his nose.

His new friend, his legs still immobile in Halpin's death grip, wasn't so lucky. His head had come forward in the fall, crashing full-on into the steel rungs of the ladder hard enough for his head to bounce - and had then promptly suffered the exact same trauma on the opposite side of his head as Halpin dragged him down.

The quarry was immobile now, eyes closed, wounds still spurting blood. The Ensign got to his knees and checked the man's pulse - it was still there. For a moment, he let the vicious thrill of martial triumph run through him, an unfamiliar and thoroughly pleasant rush.
It only lasted for a second, though...his nose really was starting to hurt pretty bad...

"HEY!" He called out to anyone who happened to be listening, his voice nasal and stuffy. "I GOT HIBM! I GOT HIBM!"

Back on the bridge...

Both Singh's and MacFinn's heads swiveled automatically in the general direction of the galley as the distant, muffled cracks of gunfire echoed through the ship.
"That'sh our ticket," the Captain muttered to himself as he moved towards a formidable looking lever. "Now let'sh really shtart thish party."
Singh, guessing what was coming, calmly covered his ears.
With a flourish, MacFinn pulled the lever, unleashing the ship's foghorn.

The deafening five-second blast shattered the still-mostly-quiet air of the night with a noise that sounded like the fall of Jericho all over again - its meaning was unmistakeable. Up on the top of the bridge, Moreno and his crew threw the switches on the spotlights, bathing both the docks and the OB's ersatz warship on the Llamrei's seaward side in brilliant, blinding white light. When it finished, the marine contingent hidden along the shoreward side of the ship charged out of their hiding places, shouting and firing for all they were worth at the blinded, half-deaf, and terrified troops left behind on the dock, the Kommando group making for a perfect target against the light. Soon, the chatter of Vickers guns joined the crack of rifle fire, as the heavy guns were uncrated and locked into position on the deck mounts.

It was genuinely unfair. The lights had a double effect - not only did they perfectly silhouette every single OB trooper on the docks, but they also served to totally blind any trooper who might be tempted to try to return fire. It was a classic turkey shoot.
On the other side of the boat, it was the same story...

GOram wrote:"Open the shutters!"
Riddlington barked into the speaking tube. The shutters snapped open, bathing both sides of the ship in a dazzlingly bright light. Seconds later, the calm of the night was broken by an almighty crash of gunfire.

On the opposite side of the ship from Riddlington, covering the second battery, Petty Officer Tadeusz Wronski and his relentlessly-drilled crew had been ready for the order to open fire for what felt like a lifetime. Grinning with unconstrained glee, he didn't need to be told twice.
"LET FLY, MY BOYS! SEND THE DEVILS BACK TO HELL!"

With a roar, the battery hurled its 4-inch shell directly at the Spion Kop's bridge (the tug was too close to target the waterline, the guns couldn't depress that low), mirrored by the battery on the opposite side.

One moment, the tug had a bridge, an unfamiliar Boer flag of some sort flying proudly from the top.

The next, there was nothing but a huge, jagged hole.
When the war is over
Got to start again
Try to hold a trace of what it was back then
You and I we sent each other stories
Just a page I'm lost in all its glory
How can I go home and not get blown away

Goram
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Goram » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:53 pm

Two four inch shells exited mussels of two four inch guns at exactly 2,660 feet per second. The effect of high calibre ammunition, fired at a target only 467 yards away, was quite devastating to say the least. Only 52 hundredths of a second after the shells were fired; they slammed into the intended target. The bridge and main battery of the SANS Spion Kop disappeared in twin blasts and, once the initial ball of flame and smoke had dissipated, only twisted steel remained.

"Yes! Yes, Mr. Wronski! Fine shooting, my dear old chap, fine shooting!"

Riddlington exclaimed, raising his glasses to better observe the carnage his guns were wreaking on the enemy.

"Fire as you will, Mr. Wronski! Lets really show these Colonials who they're dealing with!"

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:06 am

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:The rest of the drive, barring Talbot's little escapade with the motorbike that Page and the rest of the truck gang just managed to see the tail-end of, was quick and easy.
"I want the wounded out first!" Page yelled to the squadron as the truck pulled up at the cantonment, the place in total disarray. "Then, form up on-"
Page's gaze travelled over to Talbot's coupe right next to them, and realized to his dismay that there was a massive bloostain there that...if his memory served...hadn't been there before.

"Jesus Christ Talbot," he called out, "what happened?"

As soon as Page gave the order to get the wounded out, Jimmy began communicating, or at least trying to, with the natives (well, the ones who could get up, walk around, and help carry somebody else), using pantomiming and speaking English (the only language he knew that they'd have any chance of knowing as well).

After a few frustrating seconds, he finally managed to get through, and one of the protestors grabbed an unconscious victim's ankles while Jimmy grabbed the victim's wrists.

The Two Jerseys wrote:Talbot staggered out of the car, obviously sore from nearly being impaled on the steering column; clutching his torso with one hand, he slammed the door shut before removing his pith helmet and slamming it down on the roof of the car. Bracing himself against the car with his left hand, he ran his right hand through his hair as he started to reply: "They had a sentry at the last crossroad," he said, the bitterness and frustration in his voice clearly audible. He reached into his pocket and pulled out his cigarette case and lighter. "I tried to run past him, but he opened fire, drilled Mackenzie through the head," he continued as he lit the cigarette; he pulled the cigarette from his mouth and held it between his fingers as he wiped the blood from the numerous cuts on his face. He took another drag from the cigarette and grinned. "So that's when I ran the bastard down," he said with a chuckle. He took another puff from the cigarette. "So, now what?"

As they stepped off the truck, he heard Page exclaim about something that had happened, and instinctively turned his head towards Page and Talbot, in time to hear the latter's explanation.

"Got-fucking-dammit. How many people are we going to lose on this mission?" Jimmy muttered himself as he carried on towards the infirmary.

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:He turned to face the scattered crowd, the orderlies now finally appearing from the infirmary, their appearance disheveled and panicky.
Page turned to the remaining nine Excaliburs, his voice gravelly from strain. He suddenly felt very tired - the methedrine was certainly wearing off now.
"The plan, as it stands right now, is this - first, we need to get these people seen to. Then, we'll see who's in charge here, make sure the defenses are properly set up, and start getting a counter-attack force together.
As he spoke, one of the Excaliburs hauled out their erstwhile prisoner from the truck, Brecht now managing to make vague pleas for his life audible from the sobbing. Page's face ahrdened.
"And I'll deal with our new friend personally. I think he may have a lot to tell us. Hopefully, we won't have to deal with-"
"319 SQUADRON!" a most unwelcome voice shrieked. "AT ATTENTION!"

Oh God, why are you punishing me?

As one of the orderlies took over for Jimmy's position, he nodded his head slightly, and said "I hope you can speak local.", before heading back to join the rest of the squadron, currently being spoken to by the Captain, when suddenly, that irritatingly arrogant voice from before this clusterfuck of an operation rang through his ears as he instinctively straightened up his posture.

Len Hyet wrote:
The Tiger Kingdom wrote:He turned to face the scattered crowd, the orderlies now finally appearing from the infirmary, their appearance disheveled and panicky.
Page turned to the remaining nine Excaliburs, his voice gravelly from strain. He suddenly felt very tired - the methedrine was certainly wearing off now.
"The plan, as it stands right now, is this - first, we need to get these people seen to. Then, we'll see who's in charge here, make sure the defenses are properly set up, and start getting a counter-attack force together.
As he spoke, one of the Excaliburs hauled out their erstwhile prisoner from the truck, Brecht now managing to make vague pleas for his life audible from the sobbing. Page's face ahrdened.
"And I'll deal with our new friend personally. I think he may have a lot to tell us. Hopefully, we won't have to deal with-"
"319 SQUADRON!" a most unwelcome voice shrieked. "AT ATTENTION!"

Silva gazed rather bemusedly at Major Cutler.

"Sir! With all due respect this can only be classified as hostile territory. As such sir, it is paramount that the members of Three Nineteenth do not come to attention, as doing so would expose Sir to the possibility of sniper fire. Such an event Sir, would be most tragic indeed." Silva said in the exact same voice as before, pointedly coming to a stiff backed posture but refraining from saluting the approaching Major.

After all it would be such a shame if Major Cutler were to be shot in the head by a Boer sniper.

For a few seconds, Jimmy entertained (and highly enjoyed entertaining) the idea of disobeying Silva, if for no other reason than to finally rid the entire squadron of the arrogant horse's ass forever. But he then decided against it, figuring the resulting court martial probably wouldn't go in his favor, and most definitely wouldn't be worth it.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:01 am

Grenartia wrote:As one of the orderlies took over for Jimmy's position, he nodded his head slightly, and said "I hope you can speak local."

The orderly only responded with a curious stare - he had no idea what the hell the American was on about.

As the orderlies arrived, Alix tried to direct them back to the truck - but they stopped in their tracks when they saw who was being carried.
"There must be some mistake," one of them said as he peered into the cargo bay. "it's just a load of natives back here."
Alix turned to him, narrowing her eyes. "Yes? And? They need your help. Hurry up."

The other one turned to her, doing the classic "she's a woman?" double-take that she was so heartily sick of. Meanwhile, Thibodeaux was off doing his bit, helping one of the wounded in.
Oh, thank God for you, Jimmy.

"Listen, sweetheart," he said, as if explaining things to a dim toddler, "I don't know where the hell you sprang from, but we don't have the medical supplies to waste on street trash."
"Oh," Alix said archly as she scanned his rank, "you don't, do you...erm...Private?"
He folded his arms. "No. We don't."
Alix injected a steely edge into her voice."Well, seeing as how I outrank you, I should think my opinion matters more than yours on the issue. Move it. Now."
He didn't move, his voice taking on a mocking tone. He was wearing one of those dumb-looking slouch hats - and in the darkness of the night, framed against the blinding white lights, she couldn't see his face clearly, submerged in shadow as it was.

"And what are you gonna do if I don't want to waste my time?"

God DAMN it.

Was everybody in this damn country completely incapable of listening to her for a single second?
Wait. No. Calm down.
What's the best option?

Beg, plead, cajole?
No. Would take too long.
Also, morally repulsive and unlikely to work anyways.

Shooting him in the face?
Always tempting.
But judging from the Doug/Geoff situation, not workable.
And would draw attention.

Cutler's squawk from some meters away cut into her brain, even causing the orderlies to jump. it was intensely irritating - and then a devilish grin spread across her face as it sparked an idea.
"If you don't feel like it," Alix said as innocently as she could, pointing to Cutler (him being so focused on the rest of the team that he didn't notice), "then I'll sic him on you."

The two focused on the horrible scene unfolding with the rest of Excalibur, the ramifications of such a consequence quickly becoming obvious.
"He's...your CO?" the other one said, scratching his head stupidly.
In for a penny, in for a pound!

"Not only that," she whispered conspiratorially, casually concealing her hands in her pockets as she tried to keep a straight face and simultaneously not retch, "but he's my husband."
She could practically see the pieces falling into place behind the dimwit's eyes.
As if to punctuate her revelation, Cutler's voice pierced the air with some kind of inaudible, screechy ejaculation, his eyes practically popping out of his head as he harangued Page and the rest.

Alix smiled and rolled her eyes. "What can I say? He's a charmer."
Without any further back-talk, the two orderlies immediately set about their work, the wounded being loaded out and on their way inside in record time...

Meanwhile, about twenty feet away...

Kouralia wrote:"Stand up straight, look smart, and address that man as 'Mr Cutler, Sir' if he asks you anything. Or I will show you that what I have been so far is very, very pleasant, and that I still retain great reserves of impoliteness to readily waste on you."

Brecht sobbed just a little bit more - he would've begged the terrifying NCO for his life a little more, but instead, he just managed to make a sort of incoherent blubbering, which, to Page's partially-aware perceptions, was infinitely more pathetic than any comprehensible pleading could have been.
United Kingdom of Poland wrote:"Well that was eventful" Polanski said getting out of the lorry. "Jesus Talbot, You run over some.... oh god" Further inspection lead to the discovery of an almost headless Jonah. Muttering a quick prayer for the man he made his way over to the captain. "What's the plan now sir?"

"The plan right now," Page hissed tightly as Cutler approached at flank speed and with all guns blazing, "is to survive. Let me do the talking-"
Unfortunately, Silva pre-empted Page.
Len Hyet wrote:Silva gazed rather bemusedly at Major Cutler.
"Sir! With all due respect this can only be classified as hostile territory. As such sir, it is paramount that the members of Three Nineteenth do not come to attention, as doing so would expose Sir to the possibility of sniper fire. Such an event Sir, would be most tragic indeed." Silva said in the exact same voice as before, pointedly coming to a stiff backed posture but refraining from saluting the approaching Major.

"Flight Lieutenant," Fries hesitantly ventured, not entirely sure what was going on, "I don't think we quite need to worry about sniper fire - my men seem to have the perimeter secured for the moment."
"Exactly!" Cutler exploded with a positively defining voice-crack, turning the full force of his withering gaze on Silva, the blinding lights in the blackness creating all sorts of surreal shadows playing across his face. Fries involuntarily recoiled at the sight.
"This area is perfectly safe, Lieutenant! We have made sure of it! Now, you will follow orders!"

"Sir!" Page tried to deflect Cutler's rage a little bit by snapping off the best salute he could muster. By hook or by crook, the rest of the squadron (Alix, Charlie, and Kaya staying out of sight) followed suit.
"Now that's slightly better," Cutler said, the embarrassing loss of control of a moment before now slipping back into the old familiar smarm. "Now, before we go any further, who is that back there?"
He pointed with his shooting stick to Brecht, who gave a little whimper and tried to conceal himself in Smythe's clutches. Page nearly laughed at the expression on the Serjeant's face.

"Er...that's the prisoner we took, sir. He was the one the OB sent to provoke some kind of riot at the square - he fired the shot that seemed to kick all of this revolution stuff off. He was shooting from the black side of the square and hit one of the police officers, and that got everybody shooting-"
Just then, as he explained the rough sequence of events to Cutler, it hit Page that he had no bloody idea how the hell Blue Flight had ended up back at the square to link up with them - Cutler himself must've been the one who dispatched them.
Methedrine must be messing me up. Sloppy work.

"I really don't care about all the finer details, Squadron leader," Cutler said impatiently, holding up a hand to cut Page off, "all I want to know is this: is this pathetic wretch of a man General van Huidebroeke, the target you were sent to retrieve?"
"He was never even-"
Cutler sighed. "It's a yes or no question, quit dodging it."
Page bit his tongue. "No."
"Are any of those...men...back there-" Cutler pointed to the natives now being hurriedly transported into the infirmary behind him "- General van Huidebroeke?"
It's like fucking primary school again.
"No."
"So unless you're hiding the man in your pocket, may I safely assume that you have not managed to capture the General this night?"
"Yes."
"So," Cutler growled, his eyes glittering, "you admit your failure to accomplish your mission?"

"I do not."

"What kind of insubordination is this?" Cutler shouted in response, a vein beginning to protrude over his left eye. "This whole thing has been another goddamn bungle right from the start, and you have the sheer gall to tell me that you didn't fail? I send you out there with a battalion and air support, and you come back with nothing! And do you know what, Page -"

Cutler poked a bony finger in Page's chest, Page's hands balling into fists as a reflexive reaction.

"I wouldn't be at all surprised if all this insanity that's happened since I sent you off - all this uprising shit - is somehow on you too!"
His voice took on a viciously mocking tinge - again, frighteningly reminiscent of a deeply, deeply creepy gym teacher having caught a pudgy child failing to run fast enough around the track, which went from practically a whisper to a roar by the end of the sentence.
"Actually, Page, I was wrong. You didn't bring back nothing. You brought me back a single, sniveling, useless, worthless little wanker and a goddamn pack of jabbering nig-

Whatever invective Cutler was about to summon was suddenly cut off by a concussive boom exploding close by - way too close. Page turned to see a coil of smoke rising from a mortar impact - right on the airfield.

Cutler stared, goggle-eyed and silenced as the smoke rose.
When the war is over
Got to start again

Len Hyet
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Len Hyet » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:27 am

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:Cutler stared, goggle-eyed and silenced as the smoke rose.

Silva gaped at the smoke for an instant, before running towards the airfield as fast as his legs could carry him. Unless he missed his guess that was an SMBL 2-Inch mortar. Standard issue for British infantry, which meant standard issue for the South African Army, which meant standard issue for the OB. The two inch had an effective firing range between four and five hundred meters. Which meant two things.

Firstly he might have just saved Cutlers life by not saluting, a prospect that made him very sad.

Secondly there was at least one mortar team less than five hundred meters from the base firing at the airfield. And the Squadron's spitfires were on the airfield. And unless all of those Spitfires got into the air right goddamn now they would lose them, and air superiority.
=][= Founder, 1st NSG Irregulars. Our Militia is Well Regulated and Well Lubricated!
On a formerly defunct now re-declared one-man campaign to elevate the discourse of you heathens.
American 2L. No I will not answer your legal question.

Goram
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Goram » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:22 pm

The dull crump of an exploding mortar bomb echoed across the airfield. For a moment, everyone seemed to simply stop and stare at the plume of smoke that rose from the point of impact. It was quiet, peaceful - almost serene. And then the screams of the wounded started. The bomb had fallen on the concrete apron and completely failed to penetrate the hardened material. Thus, none of the blasting power nor the shrapnel was contained by the earth and it seemed that at least some of the flying fragments of exploding bomb had found their mark.

Everything seemed to progress very quickly after that. From somewhere, and in broad South African accents, there came cries for stretcher bearers. Two bright white flares jetted out from the control tower, illuminating the surrounding area in a brilliantly bright light. As the flares arched through the sky, a long blast of machine gun fire ripped through the night, seemingly originating from one of the airfield's makeshift defensive positions. The repetitive blast of the machine gun was quickly joined by rifle and mortar fire, both in coming and out going. A loud shout of

"STAND TO! STAND TO!"

was barely audible over the growing crescendo of small arms and light mortar fire. Every second, it seemed, other weapon added it's roar to the already respectable din of the rapidly expanding action.

Stanford sighed inwardly, all thoughts of revenge for Jonah's death quickly dissipating from his mind. It seemed it was time to go to work again. He tipped the contents of his pipe onto the apron and half operated the bolt of his rifle, making quite sure that the weapon was ready. Amid the din, he half ran, half jogged 20 yards, in general direction of the two officers, Page and Cutler, who seemed to be in the middle of a...heated...discussion.

Upon arrival, Stanford opened his mouth to speak, but found himself lost for words at the sight of Flight Lieutenant Silva literally sprinting off into the distance.

"What a peculiar thing to do"

He said, quietly, without really knowing he'd said anything. Stanford couldn't understand what he was doing. Surely Blue Flight had had the common sense to park their aircraft under shelter? In a dispersal, in a hangar, in anything really. Given that, it really did beg the question of where Mr. Silva was off to, in such a hurry. He stared after the American for a moment, before snapping back to reality.

"Good evening, Mr. Cutler, Sir."

Stanford had never actually met the good Major before, but from what he'd heard, it paid dividends to pay the man the due respect his rank (if nothing else) deserved. He felt that the few words, delivered with a tone of warmth (or as close as Douglas Stanford could muster to warmth) and respect would probably satisfy that need. Now, on with more urgent matters.

"Sounds like a bit of a disagreement between the South Africans going on, over there, Skip. I think we ought to go and lend our chaps a hand, if you've no objections?"

Morrdh
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 16, 2008
Democratic Socialists

Postby Morrdh » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:42 pm

Oh christ. Cursed Charlie when he heard the whistle and the explosion of the mortar round as it impacted upon the airfield, a rather worrying development as small arms fire broke out along the airfield's perimeter. Not keen on the prospect of getting into another firefight and trying to figure out how the Squadron could turn the tables in its favour, he thought as to what he could do before an idea struck him. Blue Flight's Spitfire had been tended to by the local ground crew and in the time it had taken to head into the town and back there would've been enough time for the fighters to have been refuelled and rearmed. Course he wouldn't be the first time he'd taken off under fire, something he'd had to endure over the previous summer in France and later Southern England, plus he doubted it would be the last time either.

"Skipper!" Charlie called out as he started hurrying towards the fighters. "Permission to get the Spits airborne!"

He didn't wait for an answer or even looked to see who else joined him as he ran, he wasn't even sure whether the ground crews were still around but he would find out soon enough.
Irish/Celtic Themed Nation - Factbook

In your Uplink, hijacking your guard band.

United Kingdom of Poland
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby United Kingdom of Poland » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:49 pm

Polanski's face had probably turned several shades of red as Cutler verbally berated Page. Does that man not know about the attack by the UDF battalion and bomber squadron...oh that's right, he cut me off before I could tell him about that problem. he thought. Of course his aid who I told could have told him what I reported but the spineless lemming probably was to afraid to tell his boss he was being idiotic. Otherwise he wouldn't be trusting his safety with these turncoats. Matt's internal rage was cut off by the mortar shot. He immediately started for his fighter. Seeing that Charlie the other great mind, in fact the only other mind left of his flight he thought with a glimmer of sadness, making a bee line there as well. Upon arrival he found his Spit to be as patched up as he could expect, with most of the more noticeable damage gone. "Sword 9 repeating sword 10's request sir."

Kouralia
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 30, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kouralia » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:33 am

As soon as the mortar shell went off, Tennesley nearly threw himself to the ground, prevented from doing so by the fact that it was only one mortar round - he'd heard that before, it was fine, no need to be worried or frightened... -ish. Instead he felt as if he'd jumped to Angels thirty, the shock making him jerk involuntarily before ducking into a half crouch, drawing his revolver with one hand and first covering his head, then trying to make it look like he was merely adjusting his hat with the other. "What in bloody hell..." He muttered, "That was too close." He said, trying to stand up and look perfectly normal - pretending the moment of graceless fear hadn't actually happened.

As the mortar round went off, Smythe blinked, managing to stop himself from doing anything untoward like jumping or taking cover as he cast his eyes over to where the smoke was now rising. "Mr Cutler, Sir!" He called out, putting on his most inappropriately plummy RP accent, "Requesting permission to seek cover from incoming mortar fire with Mr van Brecht so as to prevent further injury to a prisoner of his Britannic Majesty." Bar that small action, he was still grasping the Boer to hold him up if necessary, while his right hand gripped the automatic and held it firmly in his back. Tennnesley just stared, with five words on his mind: is this guy for real?

Of course, just to further darken Major Cutler's mood, as this happened the lorry carrying the UDF platoon swept back through the gates before coming to a stop and immediately having the soldiers de-bus: notably lacking in the staff car that they had been entrusted with. Jogging over toward Captain Fries, Sergeant Bosman waved in what had started as a salute but which was aborted immediately by the circumstances. "Sir! Number Four Platoon reporting for duty, and sorry to report that Major Cutler's staff car had to be abandoned in an area now secured by the insurrectionist forces!" he said, cringing as he looked at the Major. "Where do you need us, sir?"
Kouralia:

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:02 am

Len Hyet wrote:
The Tiger Kingdom wrote:Cutler stared, goggle-eyed and silenced as the smoke rose.

Silva gaped at the smoke for an instant, before running towards the airfield as fast as his legs could carry him.

Page reeled momentarily from the impact, raising his hands to shield his face from the blast as Alix involuntarily dove to the ground, feeling the thump of the explosion in his chest even though it went off quite a distance away - the shock waves traveled easily over such level, hard-packed tarmac. Lowering his hands from his face, he opened his eyes just in time to see Silva dashing off towards the hangars at top speed, with Charlie following in hot pursuit. It didn't take a genius to realize what the pair intended - especially given that the dim outlines of the Blue Flight Spitfires could be seen housed within.

Morrdh wrote:"Skipper!" Charlie called out as he started hurrying towards the fighters. "Permission to get the Spits airborne!"

"Hold off!" Page roared back. "If one of those shells comes down when you're-"

Too late.

With only a faint whistle preceding the tell-tale impact, another mortar shell - an invisible speck in the black sky - sailed right down onto the roof of the Spitfire hangar, plunging through the rickety structure with ease and impacting directly in the hangar.
Helpless to stop it, Page could see the explosion light up the dark hangar bright as day, so bright that it left a shifting blur of color in his retina where he'd looked right at the conflagration. But in the split-second before, he could see the distinct outline of one of the Spitfires - he didn't know whose - utterly consumed by the blast. The shell must've landed right on top of it. He could hear, on top of the hollow boom of the explosion, a hellish noise that sounded like a metallic shriek, crash, and rattle all bound up together as the plane was literally blown apart, pieces of steel and glass flying everywhere.

This was followed by a wrenching series of crashing noises as the hangar collapsed around the planes, piece by piece - first the roof went, then a wall, then another wall, until the whole structure (clearly built with the expectation that it would never be under any kind of fire) came down like a house of cards.

Page could only gape at the wreckage. Off in the distance, he could hear the whistle and crack of more rounds incoming from the cantonment border, and the distant report of more mortar explosions. he turned back to cutler and his entourage - the Major, unsurprisingly, was stunned speechless, his eyes wide as platters and his upper lip about as stiff as Jell-O, his aides not offering any visible help to anybody either as they gawped stupidly.

GOram wrote:Doug stared after the American for a moment, before snapping back to reality.

"Good evening, Mr. Cutler, Sir."

Stanford had never actually met the good Major before, but from what he'd heard, it paid dividends to pay the man the due respect his rank (if nothing else) deserved. He felt that the few words, delivered with a tone of warmth (or as close as Douglas Stanford could muster to warmth) and respect would probably satisfy that need.

Cutler just stared blankly at Stanford by way of response, his expression torn between abject fear for his life, confusion as to who exactly Stanford was, and the suspicion that he was being mocked somehow. All of these conflicting feelings seemed to cancel each other out, as the sound of the firing kept him transfixed.

GOram wrote:Now, on with more urgent matters.
"Sounds like a bit of a disagreement between the South Africans going on, over there, Skip. I think we ought to go and lend our chaps a hand, if you've no objections?"

Fries, meanwhile, didn't look quite so stupefied - which wasn't to say he didn't look scared. Page could see the flop-sweat on the portly officer's face as he drew his pistol and looked to the lines, trying to pinpoint where the attack was coming from.
"Look like they're here," he said, his voice shaking ever so slightly. "If you fellows aren't too indisposed - and if it's all right with your Major here-"
Fries threw a withering glance at the oblivious Cutler.
"- I'd greatly appreciate your assistance with the defense."

it was here that Smythe chimed in and the luckless troops of 4 Platoon arrived.
Kouralia wrote:"Mr Cutler, Sir!" He called out, putting on his most inappropriately plummy RP accent, "Requesting permission to seek cover from incoming mortar fire with Mr van Brecht so as to prevent further injury to a prisoner of his Britannic Majesty." Bar that small action, he was still grasping the Boer to hold him up if necessary, while his right hand gripped the automatic and held it firmly in his back.[/i]

Seeing Cutler still more or less catatonic, Page decided now was as good a time as any to square this circle and try to cobble a plan together. He didn't know this UDF Captain from Adam, but the fact that he was here now and at least seemed to have his basic brain functions still operating meant that he was a better option than waiting for Cutler to suddenly find his balls.
"NOBLE!"
Alix hastily pulled herself up off the ground and dusted herself off. "Here, sir!"
Page turned to her. "I want you to take the squadron, round up the three over there at the hangar, see if they're combat-fit - if they aren't, then get them sent to the infirmary, but if they are, take them and the rest of the squadron to wherever this fellow- " he pointed to Fries, "- tells you to go. I'll join you shortly. Smythe, I'll take care of our new friend, you're more fit to fight than I am. You join the Flight Lieutenant."

Alix nodded, readied her rifle, and glanced at Fries suspiciously. Given all that she'd been through at the hands of South Africaners she thought she could trust, she wasn't exactly keen to trust this one all of a sudden - but it just didn't look like there was much choice.
"Understood, Skipper!"

He turned to Cutler.
"Is this acceptable, Major?" Page asked, slowly and loudly.

Cutler seemed to snap out of whatever shell-shocked funk he had been in at least a little bit, confusion still fighting with fear and anger on his face.
"-Well - we don't - I say -" he sputtered ineffectually. Finally, he got it out, spitting the words like they were poison.
"Yes. Fine. Do...all that."

Kouralia wrote:Jogging over toward Captain Fries, Sergeant Bosman waved in what had started as a salute but which was aborted immediately by the circumstances. "Sir! Number Four Platoon reporting for duty, and sorry to report that Major Cutler's staff car had to be abandoned in an area now secured by the insurrectionist forces!" he said, cringing as he looked at the Major. "Where do you need us, sir?"

Fries sighed with relief (as Cutler gasped with grief in the background at the news of his car, plunging back into his momentary catatonia while his aides muttered dark, threatening things) - they may have been meager reinforcements, but with these fellows and Excalibur, perhaps they stood a chance against whatever the UDF was throwing at them. He cocked an ear, trying to wring some sense from the rising maelstrom of noise.
"The firing's coming from the western side, probably along the gate - 4 Platoon, follow me! Excalibur, we shall meet over there as soon as you attend to your people!"
Alix nodded again, saluted momentarily, and then dashed off after the trio at the hangar as Fries and the UDF loyalists headed in the opposite direction. While the groups split, Page ran over to Smythe and Brecht, Webley at the ready.

"I'll make sure he's restrained properly, Colour."
When the war is over
Got to start again

United Kingdom of Poland
Negotiator

Postby United Kingdom of Poland » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:16 pm

Polanski was picked up and slammed to the pavement by the explosion. Must not be my day for flying he thought peeling himself off the ground. Shaking his head to clear it. He made his way towards the remains of the hanger looking for Silva and Charlie. "Cannon, Silva you guys alright?"

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:16 am

United Kingdom of Poland wrote:He made his way towards the remains of the hanger looking for Silva and Charlie. "Cannon, Silva you guys alright?"

Running up, Alix could see that Matt had had the luck of being the furthest of the trio away from their planes.
"Polanski! Can you walk -"
As though he were made of rubber, the Pole, undaunted by the explosion, was already back on his feet.
"- oh. Never mind. You're fine. Can you see Charlie or Silva anywhere?"
When the war is over
Got to start again

Morrdh
Powerbroker

Democratic Socialists

Postby Morrdh » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:05 pm

Charlie had slowed and half-turned his head when he heard Page call out something, he only managed to catch some of what the Captain said before the uncomfortably familiar low whistle heralded the arrival of a mortar round on the hanger ahead of him. The explosion erupted through the hanger, bolstered by the fuel and oil drums stored within along with the planes, and he felt the heat smoulder him before he was flung bodily off his feet and onto the ground a short distance from where he'd been. Around him everything seem to be swimming as he heard a loud ringing noise in his ears, no doubt from the explosion that had thrown him backwards. He involuntarily mumbled something and all of a sudden his muscles protested in pain, though least it meant he was still alive.

Meanwhile on the Llameri...

Letting his frustration of having his ship's tall beings beaten him to the punch with a low growl, Nelson stalked his way into the ship's interior. He came across a tall being he didn't recognize, and had a different colouring, who also stood on him and exclaimed some curse in words that the feline did not find familiar but could guess their intend. The tall being clearly didn't respect or recognize Nelson's domain, something that prompted words to form in the feline's head. Right, you'll do...

~ ~ ~

A very peculiar sound reverberated throughout the Llameri, a strange cry sounding partway between a roar and a growl which was followed a split second later by the very very human scream of a man who'd just realized he'd just committed suicide by misadventure.

Kouralia
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 30, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kouralia » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:18 pm

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:"Smythe, I'll take care of our new friend, you're more fit to fight than I am. You join the Flight Lieutenant."

"Yes, of course sir!" Smythe said, stepping in close tightening Jonah's wire bindings on the prisoner until they were at the sweet spot between 'being really bloody painful' and 'causing permanent nerve damage'. "You, my friend, are going nowhere. Stick with this man, do as he says, and when I get back we'll see if you're still in one piece with out a broken kneck." He whispered quietly, paused then with a slight pensive look on his face, "I would say, as before, be polite, but I doubt that will improve Mr Page's opinion of you much."
While the groups split, Page ran over to Smythe and Brecht, Webley at the ready.

Stepping back, he nodded smartly as Page ran over. "Don't worry, Mr van Brecht's all secured, sir. What he had on him is piled in the corner behind the driver's seat - map, string, this, that, t'other." His lip curled slightly in what was either a sneer of superiority, or a look of distaste, "Oh, and a comparatively badly maintained knife, and a Mauser - four rounds in the magazine, one fired."

"The firing's coming from the western side, probably along the gate - 4 Platoon, follow me! Excalibur, we shall meet over there as soon as you attend to your people!"

"Yessir!" the sergeant said, turning and bellowing at the thirty remaining men who'd been shanghaied into protecting the Major's car. "Number Four Platoon, form up on me! One Section to the front, Two to the left and Three to the right! Bren guns to the rear, rifle teams to the fore, bring only the things you're going to need to shoot, stab, drink, dig or load!" Within moments the three rifle sections were hurrying toward the fight alongside Captain Fries.

In the sudden absence of inferiority left by the departure of the colonials and the commandos, Tennesley sighed and looked around. "Mr Cutler, sir, what would you like us to do?" He inquired obsequiously, "It seems doubtful that we can rely on the Squadron or the..." He shuddered slightly, "...South Africans to keep the day from getting even worse."
Last edited by Kouralia on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kouralia:

United Kingdom of Poland
Negotiator

Postby United Kingdom of Poland » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:08 pm

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:
United Kingdom of Poland wrote:He made his way towards the remains of the hanger looking for Silva and Charlie. "Cannon, Silva you guys alright?"

Running up, Alix could see that Matt had had the luck of being the furthest of the trio away from their planes.
"Polanski! Can you walk -"
As though he were made of rubber, the Pole, undaunted by the explosion, was already back on his feet.
"- oh. Never mind. You're fine. Can you see Charlie or Silva anywhere?"

" Ma'am can I live in your world, it sounds like a pretty nice one if being blown up twice in as many hours is considered fine. As for Charlie and Silva, no idea ma'am they must-" Seeing movement in front of him Polanski stumbled forward now feeling the effects of being thrown a few dozen feet. His head swam as he tried to make his way to his fellow cohort. Finally making his zig-zaged way there he saw it was Charlie. He attempted to lift Charlie into a sitting position only to fall on his ass as his inner ear finally gave up the fight to stay balanced. Slowly sitting back up he looked at the conscious Brit. "Come on Cannon, this is no time to sit around. Don't you know there's a war going on?"

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:46 am

United Kingdom of Poland wrote:"Ma'am can I live in your world, it sounds like a pretty nice one if being blown up twice in as many hours is considered fine."

Alix forced a tired half-smile, knowing exactly what he was talking about.
"Well, you're fine by Excalibur standards, anyways. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news."
United Kingdom of Poland wrote: As for Charlie and Silva, no idea ma'am they must-" Seeing movement in front of him Polanski stumbled forward now feeling the effects of being thrown a few dozen feet. His head swam as he tried to make his way to his fellow cohort.

Grabbing his shoulder to steady him, Alix tried to stabilize him, but he managed to slip out of her grasp as he stumbled towards...
...was that Charlie up there?
United Kingdom of Poland wrote: Finally making his zig-zaged way there he saw it was Charlie. He attempted to lift Charlie into a sitting position only to fall on his ass as his inner ear finally gave up the fight to stay balanced. Slowly sitting back up he looked at the conscious Brit. "Come on Cannon, this is no time to sit around. Don't you know there's a war going on?"

While Charlie and Matt bantered, Alix finally caught sight of an unsightly lump on the tarmac slightly closer to the hangar that, after closer examination, turned out to be Silva. Hurrying to his side, Alix flipped him over - seeing his eyes open, she could at least be assured he was alive.
"Lieutenant! Can you hear me?"
Kouralia wrote:
The Tiger Kingdom wrote:"Smythe, I'll take care of our new friend, you're more fit to fight than I am. You join the Flight Lieutenant."

"Yes, of course sir!" Smythe said, stepping in close tightening Jonah's wire bindings on the prisoner until they were at the sweet spot between 'being really bloody painful' and 'causing permanent nerve damage'. "You, my friend, are going nowhere. Stick with this man, do as he says, and when I get back we'll see if you're still in one piece with out a broken kneck." He whispered quietly, paused then with a slight pensive look on his face, "I would say, as before, be polite, but I doubt that will improve Mr Page's opinion of you much."

While Smythe gave the prisoner something to think about (it had to be said - for all his posh propriety, the Colour really did have a way with a threatening word), Page ran a dispassionate eye over the prisoner. He looked to be practically on the verge of having a good bawl, but you never could tell with these sorts. Interrogation was a tricky thing, as the partisans back in Spain had demonstrated to him - even the ones blubbering for their mums might suddenly find their backbones if you shoved a gun in their face first thing.
Then again, they might just shit themselves and tell you everything. As always, generalizations with something this fiddly were dangerous.
He'd think of something.
Kouralia wrote:Stepping back, he nodded smartly as Page ran over. "Don't worry, Mr van Brecht's all secured, sir. What he had on him is piled in the corner behind the driver's seat - map, string, this, that, t'other."

Page nodded - everything one would expect, given his likely role.
Kouralia wrote: His lip curled slightly in what was either a sneer of superiority, or a look of distaste, "Oh, and a comparatively badly maintained knife-

"The bastard."
Kouralia wrote: and a Mauser - four rounds in the magazine, one fired."

"Right. Well, I'll see to that later - you just go and help bail out the Saffies. Join you shortly."
Training his gun on the prisoner and gesturing towards the tower, Page's voice lowered to a growl.
"Move it."
Looking as though at any moment he would need a change of trousers, the despondent UDF man started to walk, Page keeping him under the gun the whole time...
Kouralia wrote:In the sudden absence of inferiority left by the departure of the colonials and the commandos, Tennesley sighed and looked around. "Mr Cutler, sir, what would you like us to do?" He inquired obsequiously, "It seems doubtful that we can rely on the Squadron or the..." He shuddered slightly, "...South Africans to keep the day from getting even worse."

Cutler looked around him, still seeming bamboozled, his mouth working silently as he fumbled for something to say. His gaze crossed Tennesley's face, and he seemed to focus.
Finally, some sound emerged.
"What would...?" he said tenuously.
Then, he set his brow, and managed to force some composure into his face and voice.
"What I would like you to do, Captain," Cutler blustered, "is to get my bloody car back!"
Last edited by The Tiger Kingdom on Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
When the war is over
Got to start again

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:11 am

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:
Kouralia wrote:Jogging over toward Captain Fries, Sergeant Bosman waved in what had started as a salute but which was aborted immediately by the circumstances. "Sir! Number Four Platoon reporting for duty, and sorry to report that Major Cutler's staff car had to be abandoned in an area now secured by the insurrectionist forces!" he said, cringing as he looked at the Major. "Where do you need us, sir?"

Fries sighed with relief (as Cutler gasped with grief in the background at the news of his car, plunging back into his momentary catatonia while his aides muttered dark, threatening things) - they may have been meager reinforcements, but with these fellows and Excalibur, perhaps they stood a chance against whatever the UDF was throwing at them. He cocked an ear, trying to wring some sense from the rising maelstrom of noise.
Alix nodded again, saluted momentarily, and then dashed off after the trio at the hangar as Fries and the UDF loyalists headed in the opposite direction. While the groups split, Page ran over to Smythe and Brecht, Webley at the ready.

Thibodeaux, oddly (but at the same time, quite unoddly) unfazed by the exploding hangar and his comrades' proximity to it, simply moved with Alix and the rest of the squadron as they ran towards the others who were by the hangar.

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:
United Kingdom of Poland wrote:"Ma'am can I live in your world, it sounds like a pretty nice one if being blown up twice in as many hours is considered fine."

Alix forced a tired half-smile, knowing exactly what he was talking about.
"Well, you're fine by Excalibur standards, anyways. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news."
United Kingdom of Poland wrote: As for Charlie and Silva, no idea ma'am they must-" Seeing movement in front of him Polanski stumbled forward now feeling the effects of being thrown a few dozen feet. His head swam as he tried to make his way to his fellow cohort.

Grabbing his shoulder to steady him, Alix tried to stabilize him, but he managed to slip out of her grasp as he stumbled towards...
...was that Charlie up there?
United Kingdom of Poland wrote: Finally making his zig-zaged way there he saw it was Charlie. He attempted to lift Charlie into a sitting position only to fall on his ass as his inner ear finally gave up the fight to stay balanced. Slowly sitting back up he looked at the conscious Brit. "Come on Cannon, this is no time to sit around. Don't you know there's a war going on?"

While Charlie and Matt bantered, Alix finally caught sight of an unsightly lump on the tarmac slightly closer to the hangar that, after closer examination, turned out to be Silva. Hurrying to his side, Alix flipped him over - seeing his eyes open, she could at least be assured he was alive.
"Lieutenant! Can you hear me?"

"I'm no doctor, but he might be in shock or something, ma'am. I might have to carry him to the infirmary if he is incapacitated." Jimmy said, walking up beside Noble.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Morrdh
Powerbroker

Democratic Socialists

Postby Morrdh » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:56 pm

United Kingdom of Poland wrote:Finally making his zig-zaged way there he saw it was Charlie. He attempted to lift Charlie into a sitting position only to fall on his ass as his inner ear finally gave up the fight to stay balanced. Slowly sitting back up he looked at the conscious Brit. "Come on Cannon, this is no time to sit around. Don't you know there's a war going on?"

"...Bwah?" Charlie exclaimed as his senses finally clicked back into place and he could take stock of the situation. Glancing round he saw the Pole Matthew who was seated near to him and had said something that Charlie hadn't quite caught. "Ye wot mate?"

There was still a ringing in his ears, though he could hear the sound of the raging fire in the hanger as well as the gunfire along the fence of the airfield as the loyalist UDF sought to fend off the rebels with the squadron's help. Looking over at the hanger and the burning husk that was his Spitfire, it seemed that he was having a bit of a jinx when it came to aircraft. How many aircraft had he lost now? A dozen? More? It didn't really bare much thinking about, a pilot who kept losing aircraft certainly wasn't a good thing from the RAF's point of view. Would be be gro-...

Oh wait. There was a war on.

He staggered to his feet and then called to the Pole. "Remove yer ruddy finger, don't ya know theres a war on?"

Goram
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Goram » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:19 pm

Stanford trotted after the rest if the squadron, as mortar bombs of varying calibre's crashed down around them. Fortunately though, at least for Excalibur, the shrapnel that filled the air seemed content to miss its mark. Somewhere out on the perimeter, the exchanges of small arms fire had become far larger and far more frequent. It seemed as though the OB were pressing the loyalist line hard.

As the members of Blue flight pulled themselves to their feet, Stanford tried to talk to Noble. Ordinarily not any particular feat, given the noise of battle he was forced to shout.

"Commander! We ought to get out there!"

He gestured with the muzzle of his rifle, in the general direction of the action

"The UDF sound hard pressed!"

Len Hyet
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Len Hyet » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:42 am

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:While Charlie and Matt bantered, Alix finally caught sight of an unsightly lump on the tarmac slightly closer to the hangar that, after closer examination, turned out to be Silva. Hurrying to his side, Alix flipped him over - seeing his eyes open, she could at least be assured he was alive.

"Gahhh" Silva groaned. His leg was still weak from being in a cast for some weeks, and he'd been a tad slower than normal, slow enough to avoid being caught under the hangar when it was hit. He'd been close enough however to be knocked flat on his ass, and hit hard against the ground. The American tried to sit up, and winced. He was covered in small abrasions and bruises, but he was alive.

"The hangar" He grunted, and tried to stand up again, this time making it to his feet unsteadily.

"Shit they got the Spits!"
=][= Founder, 1st NSG Irregulars. Our Militia is Well Regulated and Well Lubricated!
On a formerly defunct now re-declared one-man campaign to elevate the discourse of you heathens.

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:05 am

Entering the tower stairwell, lit only by the dim glow of an orange emergency bulb, Page quickly found what he was looking for. Practically dragging the prisoner with him, he made his way over to a portal marked "STORAGE CLOSET" in stenciled black characters, and pulled it open. Inside, it was exactly as advertised - just a crowded, dusty space with a lot of disused radio equipment and broken furniture inside. Probably not too risky for a temporary stockade, especially given the condition this particular prisoner was in.
Jesus, whoever did these bindings knew what they were doing, Page said to himself as he unceremoniously tripped the blubbering prisoner so that he toppled to the ground onto his face. The prisoner, trussed about the legs and arms and barely mobile when he was upright, could only roll about uselessly like a flipped turtle with multiple tragic congenital defects.

"Now let's be extra careful with you," Page hissed as he tied the restraints just a little tighter, prompting a porcine squeal from the prisoner. "I'll be back in a few minutes - you better have something useful to tell me by then, or so help me, I'll break every finger you have and make you eat them, one-by-one."
With that, he grabbed one of the chairs in the closet, dragged it outside, and propped it up against the knob - in the odd event of an escape, at least the door still wouldn't give. Now unencumbered, he raced out to join the squadron at the cantonment walls, finally beginning to feel the strain of all that he'd been through over all these hours...

Grenartia wrote:"I'm no doctor, but he might be in shock or something, ma'am. I might have to carry him to the infirmary if he is incapacitated." Jimmy said, walking up beside Noble.

Len Hyet wrote:"Gahhh" Silva groaned. His leg was still weak from being in a cast for some weeks, and he'd been a tad slower than normal, slow enough to avoid being caught under the hangar when it was hit. He'd been close enough however to be knocked flat on his ass, and hit hard against the ground. The American tried to sit up, and winced. He was covered in small abrasions and bruises, but he was alive.
"The hangar" He grunted, and tried to stand up again, this time making it to his feet unsteadily.
"Shit they got the Spits!"

"You worry too much, Jimmy," Alix said hastily, "it'll take more than that to knock Lieutenant Silva here out. Right, Lieutenant?"
With Silva now clearly back in the land of the conscious and the errant trio confirmed to be in fighting trim (more or less), Alix didn't wait to be contradicted - she promptly reversed course and headed to follow the diminishing forms of Fries and his platoon as they headed towards the firing, the squadron hot on her heels.

Ahead, it was a frenzy of light and noise as bullets ripped the air, the distinctive sputtering rips of German Schmeissers dominating the exchange while the weaker pops of the Enfields and Mauser rifles could only fill the gaps in between. Alix could see Fries already huddled against the gatehouse for protection with whatever defense forces had managed to coalesce scattered around the fenceline - the street beyond looked to be filled with OB firing inwards. They looked to be pretty close to the gate...
"Excalibur!" Alix cried. "Take cover here and hold this position! Drive them back!"
Last edited by The Tiger Kingdom on Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
When the war is over
Got to start again

Len Hyet
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Len Hyet » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:45 pm

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:"You worry too much, Jimmy," Alix said hastily, "it'll take more than that to knock Lieutenant Silva here out. Right, Lieutenant?"
With Silva now clearly back in the land of the conscious and the errant trio confirmed to be in fighting trim (more or less), Alix didn't wait to be contradicted - she promptly reversed course and headed to follow the diminishing forms of Fries and his platoon as they headed towards the firing, the squadron hot on her heels.

Ahead, it was a frenzy of lught and noise as bullets ripped the air, the distinctive sputtering rips of German Schmeissers dominating the exchange while the weaker pops of the Enfields and Mauser rifles could only fill the gaps in between. Alix could see Fries already huddled against the gatehouse for protection with whatever defense forces had managed to coalesce scattered around the fenceline - the street beyond looked to be filled with OB firing inwards. They looked to be pretty close to the gate...
"Excalibur!" Alix cried. "Take cover here and hold this position! Drive them back!"

Silva rolled behind cover, rolled like a five year old rolling down a hill because the idea of walking made his legs want to collapse yet again. Another mortar shell landed on the airfield, clearly whoever was attacking the base meant for there to be neither escape nor air cover for the beleaguered defenders.

The American Lieutenant propped his BAR up on the ground. and began firing bursts at the attacking forces, the deep voice of his BAR adding into the cacophony. Unfortunately they were quite a distance away and for some reason despite the fact that Silva wasn't moving the entire world seemed to be shaking slightly. Silva shook his head, and kept firing, unfortunately he was hitting mostly air. People generally don't shoot very well after a near miss of mortars and exploding ordinance taken out by the mortars.
Last edited by Len Hyet on Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goram
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Goram » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:12 pm

The gatehouse seemed to be the focal point of the OB assault and the reasoning behind that seemed clear enough. If the gatehouse fell, the Nazi troopers outside would be able to stream in unabated and once they were in, the base would surely fall.

The air was filled with the clatter of gunfire and the screams of wounded men. The UDF defenders were standing to their posts, stoically ignoring the fire that was being poured onto them. Despite their heroism, the volume of incoming fire was such that their numbers were being quickly whittled away. The loyalist UDF were inflicting a heavy toll upon their attackers, but the outcome seemed inevitable. There were simply too many OB troopers swarming outside the gate. They hit it again and again; an inexorable tide of faceless brown shirts intent on destruction.

The life and death struggle at the gatehouse was occasionally punctuated by the flash of an exploding mortar bomb or the dull glow of a parachute flare. These had set small fires throughout the area which, with no one to tend to them, had confligrated into bigger blazes. To Douglas Stanford, the fires made the battle look like Hell itself. It was that Hell that he and the rest of the Squadron now charged. They would hold the position, or they would die trying.

The Flying Officer threw himself through the guard hut door, narrowly avoiding a burst of automatic fire as he did so. The wooden walls would offer scant protection against rifle fire, but the hut was certainly better than nothing. Several UDF troopers already populated the structure; two engaged the enemy, their weapons spitting tracer through a window and large gaps blown in the walls by incoming rounds. Another lay, badly wounded, in the corner and a fourth was attempting to render the wounded man first aid. None of the four South Africans paid the British pilot any heed and nor did Stanford really acknowledge them- there was far too much going on outside for that. All the Flying Officer could do was to poke his rifle through one of the DIY loop holes and lend the fire of his weapon to the storm of bullets flying in almost every direction.
Last edited by Goram on Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gibberan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gibberan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:33 pm

Carter stood almost dumbfoundedly as the first mortar went off, as if he had been, for one reason or another, shocked that they could be attacked at any time and at any moment. There was no possibility that what had happened up until then were isolated incidents. This was not a few hate crimes, riots, fierce local uprisings or even a small-scale insurgency

This was war, after all, he reminded himself as, when the shooting started, he had regained his bearings and instinctively lay flat on the tarmac.

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:Ahead, it was a frenzy of lught and noise as bullets ripped the air, the distinctive sputtering rips of German Schmeissers dominating the exchange while the weaker pops of the Enfields and Mauser rifles could only fill the gaps in between. Alix could see Fries already huddled against the gatehouse for protection with whatever defense forces had managed to coalesce scattered around the fenceline - the street beyond looked to be filled with OB firing inwards. They looked to be pretty close to the gate...

"We're spread pretty thin, Lieut!" He called back to Noble, though he was sure she couldn't hear him over the frenzy of machine guns and the dull but deafening roar of explosions in between. Dammit, he thought, all but forgetting his reverent and respectful small-town upbringing. Communication with the other members of the squadron would be nextto impossible if the ferocity of the attack kept up, he could only fend them off where he was and hold them back, and hope the others were doing the same around the perimeter.

He started in a low sprint towards a group of six or seven UDF loyalists near the gate house. They were huddled up against a short, thin wooden fence that offered little protection, but it was around the area where the onslaught was coming the hardest. A few of their party had alraedy been either killed or injured,and he could tell from the looks on their faces from when he crossed over that they were desperate for reinforcements.

Hitting the fence with a crash, they said nothing as their new group fired round after round against the submachinegun-armed Stormjaers taking cover amongst the tall grass and shrubs, though in some dark areas hiding was not necessary at all. He heard a yelp of pain, and he realized it was himself who had uttered it; a bullet had passed through both the wood and his arm, and thoguh it was a superficial wound, it had left pieces of one in the other. Wincing as he turned it, he realized it had hit his rifle as well, leaving the barrel severely dented. He had only one weapon now, and grasping it in his good arm, he turned around and fired his pistol defiantly at the oncomers.

"COME ON, MEN! LET'S HAVE AT THEM!!!" cried Smollett almost crazedly, as he led his charging men out of the galley and towards the retreating Boers. Charging triumphantly between the tables and the bodies, it looked almost like a scene out of a movie, but it was real. They poured out thegalley door and called out down a corridor. "YER SURROUNDED, YA ORANJE SCUM! COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP OR WE'LL GIVE IT ALL TO YA!"
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his son in the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through himJohn 3:16-17

RP Name the Ambrosian Confederal Republic, or Ambrose
(you can still call me Gibbs)

Proud Esquarian!
(but also consider Kylaris)
Kassaran wrote:NSG, the one place where your opinion is the wrong one if it aint liberal enough for them... unless you're me, I'm well known for generally just despising human rights and the whole idea of entitlement.
Timothia wrote:My bad, I should have known better than to challenge the unchanging hive-mind of NSG. Won't happen again any time soon.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse