NATION

PASSWORD

LOTF: An American Political Roleplay (116th Congress)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:06 pm

Senator Augusta Merriam
[Republican - State of New Hampshire]

"The Department of Defense and the US Intelligence Community already has significant resources invested in it by congressional appropriation, and the task ahead of it as detailed by the draft legislation is within the capacity of those resources and the people putting them to use. The collation of comprehensive threat assessments with the existing appropriations should be entirely feasible, and if it is not, then that would be highlighting a more significant issue with the Department if they were unable to conduct such threat assessments without an additional half a billion dollars. The amount with regards to the Special Counsel was disproportionate, and whilst additional appropriations can be made if and when they are needed, as a starting figure, twenty-five million is a far more reasonable estimate for such an investigation than a quarter of a billion dollars."
Neoliberal
"Making peace with the establishment is an important aspect of maturity."
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - America the Beautiful
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Bryan Burgess - R-CT - White House Press Secretary
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Sarenium
Senator

Founded: Sep 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Sarenium » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:40 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:Representative Kathleen Nez
[Democratic - Arizona's 7th District]
[Speaker pro tempore of the House of Representatives]
[Assistant Speaker of the House of Representatives]

"With all votes tallied, the motion passes and the House will take up the Act to Increase the Federal Minimum Wage. The Representative from Wisconsin has the floor."

"My friends, we have for too long, allowed working Americans to languish in a crisis of underpayment. The Federal Minimum Wage is supposed to establish the minimum standards of living within the United States. The minimum wage, provides the floor for life in the United States. Yet in the past two decades, while Congress has taken a bigger paycheck every few years, working families have been allowed to struggle to survive. For thirteen years, wages have stagnated, and now families work fulltime jobs and find themselves struggling to put food on the table. Real wages have been squeezed the hardest all while the poorest Americans have struggled to get by. It's exacerbated the cycle of deprivation and poverty and now when Americans struggle the most, and need a raise, Republicans answers with tax credits for those who pay no taxes, tax cuts for businesses which take their profits overseas and pay no taxes anyway and ask corporate America, which has failed us for the second time in ten years yet again, to take the reins. This Act, says that enough is enough and gives the people a raise. It puts the money in the hands of the people who need it the most. It lifts Americans out of poverty, and will kickstart a wave of economic spending to dig us out of this recession in quick order. That, is why I am proud today, to commend this legislation to the floor."
...I'd like to do you slowly...
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Just be Ben Shapiro: Debate your wife into an orgasm; "hypothetically say I moved my hand to..."

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:48 pm

Representative Kathleen Nez

"The floor is now open to questions."

Louisianan
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Louisianan » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:57 pm

United States House of Representatives
Representative Linda Lazare
[Democratic - 7th District of the State of Texas]

"Many of our esteemed colleagues like to say that a raise on minimum wage will hurt small businesses. Would this be the case if this bill passes? Would we begin to see establishments go out of business or crumble because they give employees more money in salary, as an effect of this bill?"

Sarenium
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarenium » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:59 pm

Louisianan wrote:United States House of Representatives

"Many of our esteemed colleagues like to say that a raise on minimum wage will hurt small businesses. Would this be the case if this bill passes? Would we begin to see establishments go out of business or crumble because they give employees more money in salary, as an effect of this bill?"

"Numerous studies have proven conclusively, that raising the minimum wage does not shutter doors, it opens more of them as more Americans spend more money," Fiona replied politely.

Then took a mental note to sharpen a hatchet for the next Democrat to regurgitate a Republican talking point.
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Just be Ben Shapiro: Debate your wife into an orgasm; "hypothetically say I moved my hand to..."

Louisianan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Louisianan » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:55 pm

Sarenium wrote:
Louisianan wrote:United States House of Representatives

"Numerous studies have proven conclusively, that raising the minimum wage does not shutter doors, it opens more of them as more Americans spend more money," Fiona replied politely.

Then took a mental note to sharpen a hatchet for the next Democrat to regurgitate a Republican talking point.

Rep. Lowell, for the record, I support this bill, I'm just trying to make sure we leave no stone untouched for the Repubs to attack us with on twitter. They wont ask questions, so someone has to do it to keep their mouths shut and get more support off of the bastards,

"I see, the last time the federal government raised the minimum wage was in 2009 to an amount of $7.25 after the minimum wage was stuck at around $5.00 for the previous decade or so. In the year I was born, 1980, the minimum wage was about $3.10, if you take that amount and adjusted it for inflation, it would equal $10.39 in 2020. Also, if I took the minimum wage of 1980, adjusted it for 2009, the minimum wage in 2009 should have been approximate, $8.50."

"If this bill were to be passed, by both chambers, and signed by the President today, in one year after the bill has been in effect, the minimum wage would be $9.50, which would be a $1.10 increase from the minimum wage set right after the bill is signed, $8.40, which would be exactly a 13.09524% increase. My first few numbers were just to prove that the Federal Minimum Wage of 1980 if adjusted for inflation to 2020 would be $10.30 and that means that the minimum wage should, honestly, be higher than this bill dictates and has nothing to do with the rest of my question." Linda says before reverting to her page with a deep breath,

"Anywho, my point about all of this is, the math was confusing. When I was doing all that math, I found that while this bill would increase the minimum wage by a buck and 10 cents, the percentage increases are strange. From $8.40 to $9.50, that is a 13.09524% increase like I previously stated. Yet, the $9.50 to $10.60 minimum wage over two years is an 11.57895% increase, then from $10.60 to $11.70, it is a 10.37736% increase. This is why it was so confusing for me to do the math, there was no single percentage increase, the percentage increase went down and down and down each year."

"Now, my question is, how come the increases aren't all 13.09524% increases or 15.86207% which went from $7.25 to $8.40? If this bill is going to set a minimum wage increase over the next few years, then how come the money doesn't increase at a steady percent, rather than a buck-ten? We have a full right to increase the minimum wage a bit more than a buck ten each year, and I'd just like to allow all of my Republican colleagues to let that sink in for a moment."

"If we went with a steady percentage increase of about 15.86207% each year, the first year of having this bill in place, the minimum wage would be $9.73. Representative Lowell, if we want to maximize the amount of money our constituents get with this new minimum wage, then why aren't we going with a steady percent increase that would leave them better off than the steady buck-ten we add to the minimum wage each year?"

Sarenium
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarenium » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:58 am

Louisianan wrote:
Sarenium wrote:

Rep. Lowell, for the record, I support this bill, I'm just trying to make sure we leave no stone untouched for the Repubs to attack us with on twitter. They wont ask questions, so someone has to do it to keep their mouths shut and get more support off of the bastards,

"I see, the last time the federal government raised the minimum wage was in 2009 to an amount of $7.25 after the minimum wage was stuck at around $5.00 for the previous decade or so. In the year I was born, 1980, the minimum wage was about $3.10, if you take that amount and adjusted it for inflation, it would equal $10.39 in 2020. Also, if I took the minimum wage of 1980, adjusted it for 2009, the minimum wage in 2009 should have been approximate, $8.50."

"If this bill were to be passed, by both chambers, and signed by the President today, in one year after the bill has been in effect, the minimum wage would be $9.50, which would be a $1.10 increase from the minimum wage set right after the bill is signed, $8.40, which would be exactly a 13.09524% increase. My first few numbers were just to prove that the Federal Minimum Wage of 1980 if adjusted for inflation to 2020 would be $10.30 and that means that the minimum wage should, honestly, be higher than this bill dictates and has nothing to do with the rest of my question." Linda says before reverting to her page with a deep breath,

"Anywho, my point about all of this is, the math was confusing. When I was doing all that math, I found that while this bill would increase the minimum wage by a buck and 10 cents, the percentage increases are strange. From $8.40 to $9.50, that is a 13.09524% increase like I previously stated. Yet, the $9.50 to $10.60 minimum wage over two years is an 11.57895% increase, then from $10.60 to $11.70, it is a 10.37736% increase. This is why it was so confusing for me to do the math, there was no single percentage increase, the percentage increase went down and down and down each year."

"Now, my question is, how come the increases aren't all 13.09524% increases or 15.86207% which went from $7.25 to $8.40? If this bill is going to set a minimum wage increase over the next few years, then how come the money doesn't increase at a steady percent, rather than a buck-ten? We have a full right to increase the minimum wage a bit more than a buck ten each year, and I'd just like to allow all of my Republican colleagues to let that sink in for a moment."

"If we went with a steady percentage increase of about 15.86207% each year, the first year of having this bill in place, the minimum wage would be $9.73. Representative Lowell, if we want to maximize the amount of money our constituents get with this new minimum wage, then why aren't we going with a steady percent increase that would leave them better off than the steady buck-ten we add to the minimum wage each year?"

"I commend the Congresswoman's math, and the Congresswoman's call for a higher minimum wage," Fiona responded, "and while I may have been prepared to back in that higher figure, the figures in the bill were landed upon after consultation with Union Groups, Industry Groups, Committee Members and many a days of deliberation. This bill will alone give a raise to 17 million American workers, lifting 900,000 Americans out of poverty and reducing the federal deficit by over $60bn. Congresswoman, this figure has the broadest support and I would hope to see you and others in this chamber, and the other one, support a raise for hardworking American families."

Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Meelducan
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 24, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Meelducan » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:45 am

House Floor
Representative Matt Walker - Minority Whip (R-WA-4)

"Madam Speaker, I rise today to state my opposition to the "Fair Wage Act". This bills nothing but a partisan hack, perpetrated by the Democrats before heading into an election year. There is a reason why no Republicans signed onto this bill, not because it is partisan, but due to the fact that it is anti-business. The fact of the matter is that we are in one of the worst economic crises that our nation has faced, yet the Democratic Party think it's ok to raise the minimum wage. Small Businesses, the backbone of our economy, will not be able to survive. Many businesses in my district, in my home city and across the nation are closing, and this bill will be another nail in their coffin, effectively sealing the deal. Let us not forget why we're in this situation, the failed economic policies of the Majority party in this house and China. Both working hand-in-hand to screw over the average American business owner. Shame on them. Just look on the bill sponsor list, none of the sponsors ran a small business, while on the other hand, I know what its like to run a small business, I ran one for many years."

"Representative, why are you anti-small business?"
Marianne 2024:
America's First Healer-In-Chief

Sanabel wrote:SHut the fuck up, Meel is epic

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:09 pm

Meelducan wrote:
House Floor

(Image)

"Madam Speaker, I rise today to state my opposition to the "Fair Wage Act". This bills nothing but a partisan hack, perpetrated by the Democrats before heading into an election year. There is a reason why no Republicans signed onto this bill, not because it is partisan, but due to the fact that it is anti-business. The fact of the matter is that we are in one of the worst economic crises that our nation has faced, yet the Democratic Party think it's ok to raise the minimum wage. Small Businesses, the backbone of our economy, will not be able to survive. Many businesses in my district, in my home city and across the nation are closing, and this bill will be another nail in their coffin, effectively sealing the deal. Let us not forget why we're in this situation, the failed economic policies of the Majority party in this house and China. Both working hand-in-hand to screw over the average American business owner. Shame on them. Just look on the bill sponsor list, none of the sponsors ran a small business, while on the other hand, I know what its like to run a small business, I ran one for many years."

"Representative, why are you anti-small business?"

Representative Caroline Simone
[Democratic - 12th District of the State of New York]
{Speaker of the United States House of Representatives|NOT PRESIDING}

"Madam Speaker, I raise a point of order that the Representative's question is not sufficiently relevant to be in compliance with the rules of the House."
Neoliberal
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Concerned American Workers
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 08, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Concerned American Workers » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:19 pm

Mac Faulhaber (D-TN-9)
House Floor

"I second." said Mac, though he was not sure if he needed to, he was a bit forgetful about these procedures.
Last edited by Concerned American Workers on Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Concerned American Workers
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 08, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Concerned American Workers » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:22 pm

Torrie Volker (R-MO)
Senate Floor

"I move to end questioning."

Robert Warrick (R-IN)
Senate Floor

"I second the motion." said Bob, tired of debate.

Agatha Cragin (R-ME)
Senate Floor

"I thirded it." responded Agatha, not paying attention.

Francine Sullivan (D-AK)
Senate Floor

"I fourth it." added Frankie as a wisecrack.

Meelducan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Meelducan » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:16 am

House Floor

"I can assure the Representative from New York that the question is in compliance with House Rules.”

An aide then whispered something in Matt’s ear.

“Parliamentary inquiry, Madam Speaker. If the Speaker of the House is present in the chamber, shouldn’t they be presiding over the session, when a Speaker Pro-Tempore should only be appointed in the absence of the Speaker from the Chamber?”
Marianne 2024:

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:20 am

The Acting President Pro Tempore of the Senate
[Republican - Somewhere]
{Acting President Pro Tempore of the United States Senate}

"With no objections, the questioning period on the amendment is ended and the floor is open for motions or debate on the amendment."
Neoliberal

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:32 am

Kathleen leaned over to the Clerk for some brief discussion before turned back to face the House after Representative Walker made his own comments, "In regards to the point of order made by the gentlewoman from New York, upon consultation with the Clerk, the Chair must rule that the question from the gentleman from Washington is not relevant to the question before the House, and therefore is out of order."

"As for the inquiry made by the gentleman from Washington, it's within the prerogative of the Speaker of the House to appoint a Speaker pro tempore, there is nothing in the House rules stating the Speaker has to be absent from the Chamber in order for a Speaker pro tempore to preside over the chamber."

Meelducan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Meelducan » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:04 am

House Floor

“I appeal the ruling of the chair and I notice the absence of a quorum.” Matt took a seat as the impending quorum call was called for.
Marianne 2024:

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:25 am

"Members of the House shall register their attendance with the electronic voting system, 15 minutes will be provided for the quorum call." Kathleen said, unsurprised that the man who routinely resorted to obstruction when he couldn't win an argument was once again resorting to obstruction when he couldn't win the argument.
Last edited by New Cobastheia on Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sarenium
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarenium » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:09 am

"Members of the House shall register their attendance with the electronic voting system, 15 minutes will be provided for the quorum call." Kathleen said, unsurprised that the man who routinely resorted to obstruction when he couldn't win an argument was once resorting to obstruction when he couldn't win the argument.

Fiona registered her attendance, with the most furious frown at Walker.
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Madrinpoor
Minister

Founded: Dec 01, 2020
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Madrinpoor » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:04 am

"Members of the House shall register their attendance with the electronic voting system, 15 minutes will be provided for the quorum call." Kathleen said, unsurprised that the man who routinely resorted to obstruction when he couldn't win an argument was once again resorting to obstruction when he couldn't win the argument.

Santiago registered his attendance
MT City-state off the coast of Japan: Sumo wrestling, tech startups, Shintō mobs, gay marriage, Bōsōzuku, taiko drums, zokusha cars, neon signs, skyscrapers, Yakuza, internet, Christians, teen biker gangs, international treaties, inter-city canals, rooftop gardens, Samurai, Internet Explorer, canned beer, and a Shogun. 2002 C.E.
Yooper High Kingdom wrote:If I could describe Mandrinpoor with one word, it would be this: Slick.
Nevertopia wrote:Madrinpoor? More like madrinWEALTH be upon your family, may your days be happy and your burdens be light.

SupportUkraine!
Cuban-American He/him

Louisianan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Louisianan » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:28 am

Linda registered her attendance.

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:10 am

Caroline registered her attendance on the electronic system.
Neoliberal

Alozia
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Alozia » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:12 pm

Julia registered her attendance.
Let Freedom Ring Administrator,
Community Outreach and Application Review Coordinator

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:I swear you are the LOTF Mariah sometimes
(Ironic; me when I see Gord)
Peoples shara wrote: "Die nasty!!111"

Meelducan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Meelducan » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:41 pm

House Floor

Matt sat back, watching a scurry of House Democrats register their attendance. He didn't bother to register, instead watching to see if they could get a quorum.
Marianne 2024:

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:02 pm

While people were making their way into the chamber to Kathleen made her way up to Fiona. She had an idea but wanted to get her fellow Representative's opinion on it first before going through with it.

Sarenium
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarenium » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:28 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:While people were making their way into the chamber to Kathleen made her way up to Fiona. She had an idea but wanted to get her fellow Representative's opinion on it first before going through with it.

"Kathleen," Fiona nodded to the fellow Progressive.
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:00 pm

Sarenium wrote:
New Cobastheia wrote:While people were making their way into the chamber to Kathleen made her way up to Fiona. She had an idea but wanted to get her fellow Representative's opinion on it first before going through with it.

"Kathleen," Fiona nodded to the fellow Progressive.

"Fiona," Nez started in a hushed toned, not wanting anyone on the other side of the aisle to know what's up, "So it seem that Republicans aren't planning on registering their attendance and I'm not sure every member of our party can make it here before the 15 minutes is up... So I was wondering what you'd think about motioning for a call to the house if the quorum call doesn't end in our favor."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse