NATION

PASSWORD

World of Tesla (OOC, Apps, AH, FT, Nation/Character RP)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:57 pm

Ulls wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:Well then, please reserve the Russian Republic for me. In terms of territories, basically what the Soviet Union had in 1930. The Russian Empire without Bessarabia, Poland, the Baltics, and Finland. I'm also willing to give Ukraine away to other players if it's needed, but it would make sense for the Whites in this timeline to be able to defeat Ukraine's young state until in the 1920's.

Would it be possible that Rasputin is still around?

My plan is to have the Tsar and his family still alive - them being killed by the Bolsheviks is something I've always disliked.

Rasputin could also perhaps be alive.

But just like the Tsar, he would have lost his reputation and the entirety of his popularity and influence, as much as he had.
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Founded: Apr 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:28 pm

There lived a certain man in Russia long ago
He was big and strong, in his eyes a flaming glow
Most people looked at him with terror and with fear
But to Moscow chicks he was such a lovely dear
He could preach the bible like a preacher
Full of ecstacy and fire
But he also was the kind of teacher
Women would desire

RA RA RASPUTIN
Lover of the Russian queen
There was a cat that really was gone
RA RA RASPUTIN
Russia's greatest love machine
It was a shame how he carried on

He ruled the Russian land and never mind the Czar
But the kasachok he danced really wunderbar
In all affairs of state he was the man to please
But he was real great when he had a girl to squeeze
For the queen he was no wheeler dealer
Though she'd heard the things he'd done
She believed he was a holy healer
Who would heal her son

RA RA RASPUTIN
RA RA RASPUTIN

[Spoken:]
But when his drinking and lusting and his hunger
for power became known to more and more people,
the demands to do something about this outrageous
man became louder and louder.

"This man's just got to go!" declared his enemies
But the ladies begged "Don't you try to do it, please"
No doubt this Rasputin had lots of hidden charms
Though he was a brute they just fell into his arms
Then one night some men of higher standing
Set a trap, they're not to blame
"Come to visit us" they kept demanding
And he really came

RA RA RASPUTIN
They put some poison into his wine
RA RA RASPUTIN
He drank it all and he said "I feel fine"

RA RA RASPUTIN
They didn't quit, they wanted his head
RA RA RASPUTIN
And so they shot him till he was dead

Kistan
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kistan » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:01 am

The Cyberiad Council wrote:
Full of ecstacy and fire
Women would desire

RA RA RASPUTIN
RA RA RASPUTIN

Who would heal her son

RA RA RASPUTIN
RA RA RASPUTIN

And he really came

RA RA RASPUTIN
RA RA RASPUTIN

RA RA RASPUTIN
RA RA RASPUTIN

I thought the exact same thing the moment 'a certain man' was brought into the conversation. Well meme'd.
Humor:
"It's the Vrell Fuel and Oils Corporation, not Kistani Oils. Kistani Oils makes lotions and petrolium jellies."
Disclaimer: Kistan is for fun, and you should not expect the IRL me to do the things Kistan may do.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:06 am

The Cyberiad Council wrote:
Full of ecstacy and fire
Women would desire

RA RA RASPUTIN
RA RA RASPUTIN

Who would heal her son

RA RA RASPUTIN
RA RA RASPUTIN

And he really came

RA RA RASPUTIN
RA RA RASPUTIN

RA RA RASPUTIN
RA RA RASPUTIN

A true legend.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Song-Lu
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Song-Lu » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:22 am

Tracian Empire wrote:
Ulls wrote:Would it be possible that Rasputin is still around?

My plan is to have the Tsar and his family still alive - them being killed by the Bolsheviks is something I've always disliked.

But just like the Tsar, he would have lost his reputation and the entirety of his popularity and influence, as much as he had.

Maybe have Kerensky run the state? An earlier Russian Federation, perhaps?

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:32 am

Song-Lu wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:My plan is to have the Tsar and his family still alive - them being killed by the Bolsheviks is something I've always disliked.

Maybe have Kerensky run the state? An earlier Russian Federation, perhaps?

The basic idea is that the Provisional Government signed an armistice with the Central Powers. Lenin returns to Russia, but during the July Days, he and several important Bolsheviks are arrested and executed. Kornilov never betrays the Provisional Government, and military units under his command purge the Petrograd Soviet.

Higher Japan
Senator

Founded: Oct 06, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Higher Japan » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:39 am

b]Player Name:[/b] Higher Japan
Organization name: Nagasaki Radar Company
Flag : None
Leader/s: A council of Executive Directors
Ideology: Capitalism
Goals: Gain more
Number of members: 10,000
Economic strength: Rich? Idk
Military strength: 1,000

Please tell me what is happening right now
We don't use NS stats
A -0 civilization, according to this index.
Mod warning counter:
Unofficial: 1
NOTICE: As of 14/10, the empress has officially been granted greater control of the government, including military and financial sectors. That is all, have a good day.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:46 am

Higher Japan wrote:-snip-

This application really could use some more detail. As it currently stands it says almost nothing about what this organisation actually is.

Tracian Empire wrote:The basic idea is that the Provisional Government signed an armistice with the Central Powers. Lenin returns to Russia, but during the July Days, he and several important Bolsheviks are arrested and executed. Kornilov never betrays the Provisional Government, and military units under his command purge the Petrograd Soviet.

So one of those conservative-democratic Russian Republic? Interesting. Purging the Petrograd Soviet could have had deep-reaching consequences for Russian society and politics. Even in 1917 the Bolsheviks weren't exactly unpopular.

In any case, regardless of whether a Soviet government sits in Moscow or Kerensky's administration rules from St. Petersburg, I think the fact remains that Russia is the single largest military threat to the Scandinavian state. This is doubly so if Kerensky failed to stabilise the country and/or the old Russian Imperials still hold influence in the Duma.

Song-Lu wrote:I see, i'll have to search for more ideas then, but thank you. :bow:

You're always welcome. :)

I'm back to my regular residence, so I'll start work on my IC post tomorrow.
Last edited by Plzen on Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:11 am

Plzen wrote:
Higher Japan wrote:-snip-

This application really could use some more detail. As it currently stands it says almost nothing about what this organisation actually is.

Tracian Empire wrote:The basic idea is that the Provisional Government signed an armistice with the Central Powers. Lenin returns to Russia, but during the July Days, he and several important Bolsheviks are arrested and executed. Kornilov never betrays the Provisional Government, and military units under his command purge the Petrograd Soviet.

So one of those conservative-democratic Russian Republic? Interesting. Purging the Petrograd Soviet could have had deep-reaching consequences for Russian society and politics. Even in 1917 the Bolsheviks weren't exactly unpopular.

In any case, regardless of whether a Soviet government sits in Moscow or Kerensky's administration rules from St. Petersburg, I think the fact remains that Russia is the single largest military threat to the Scandinavian state. This is doubly so if Kerensky failed to stabilise the country and/or the old Russian Imperials still hold influence in the Duma.

Song-Lu wrote:I see, i'll have to search for more ideas then, but thank you. :bow:

Certainly, which is why the purging of the Petrograd Soviet was still followed by a civil war. The Makhnovshchyna still rebelled, and there were multiple other Bolshevik Soviets throughout the country, but I'm betting on the Provisional Government keeping its original popularity and even increasing it through their decision to end the war, and on most of the military remaining loyal to Kerensky. Plus, the Whites had some really, really good commanders - while the Bolsheviks will lack their leaders.

But I do believe that the capital was still moved from Petrograd to Moscow, depending on what Scandinavia would have done during the civil war. Petrograd is still rather.. vulnerable.

The country is stable now, the civil war ended in 1922, and the Bolsheviks lost most of their influence to the moderate Mensheviks. Russia is a sort of working democracy now, and it is probably also a federation.

But besides from the SRs and Kadets, a conservative monarchist party also exists, with a certain degree of influence in the Duma. And while Russia might not be necessarily interested in taking Finland back, like the USSR in real life - moving the border deeper into Finnish territory could be a desire of the Republic.

Song-Lu
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Song-Lu » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:22 am

Tracian Empire wrote:
Plzen wrote:This application really could use some more detail. As it currently stands it says almost nothing about what this organisation actually is.

Certainly, which is why the purging of the Petrograd Soviet was still followed by a civil war. The Makhnovshchyna still rebelled, and there were multiple other Bolshevik Soviets throughout the country, but I'm betting on the Provisional Government keeping its original popularity and even increasing it through their decision to end the war, and on most of the military remaining loyal to Kerensky. Plus, the Whites had some really, really good commanders - while the Bolsheviks will lack their leaders.

But I do believe that the capital was still moved from Petrograd to Moscow, depending on what Scandinavia would have done during the civil war. Petrograd is still rather.. vulnerable.

The country is stable now, the civil war ended in 1922, and the Bolsheviks lost most of their influence to the moderate Mensheviks. Russia is a sort of working democracy now, and it is probably also a federation.

But besides from the SRs and Kadets, a conservative monarchist party also exists, with a certain degree of influence in the Duma. And while Russia might not be necessarily interested in taking Finland back, like the USSR in real life - moving the border deeper into Finnish territory could be a desire of the Republic.

Sounds good to me. ;)

Song-Lu
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Song-Lu » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:35 am

WIP. I really hope someone subs in a Russian nation of sorts.

Name: Vladimir Konstantinovich Semyon

Sex: Male

Appearance(Picture or Description):

Personal Belongings:

Personality:

Bio (one paragraph at least):

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

*Quirks:
*Worst Fears:

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:35 am

Tracian Empire wrote:But I do believe that the capital was still moved from Petrograd to Moscow, depending on what Scandinavia would have done during the civil war. Petrograd is still rather.. vulnerable.

It's unlikely that either the Finnish Army or the Scandinavian volunteers have seriously threatened the integrity of Petrograd at any point in the Finnish War of Independence. Even during the height of conscription it's unlikely that Finland could've really fielded more than 200,000 or so men, and any volunteers from Scandinavia would have amounted to a couple division-sized units at best. Likelier than not, Finland "won" its independence not by any real strategic victory, but rather by virtue of the Russian Republic being unable to spare any effort from the much more important battlefields (against the Bolsheviks, etc.) within Russia itself.

Tracian Empire wrote:But besides from the SRs and Kadets, a conservative monarchist party also exists, with a certain degree of influence in the Duma. And while Russia might not be necessarily interested in taking Finland back, like the USSR in real life - moving the border deeper into Finnish territory could be a desire of the Republic.

A military conflict between the Russian Republic and the Scandinavian Commonwealth over the Karelian frontier could be a very interesting late-RP event to play out IC'ly. Come right down to it, even considering the sheer disparity in the equipment and doctrine between the Scandinavian and Russian militaries, the Scandinavian army (77,000 paper strength, even less in reality) is simply too small for an outright military victory over Russia to be possible.

If it comes down to war, Scandinavia will likely use its air superiority plus strategic artillery to reduce Petrograd to dust and rubble, hoping that it will wreck enough havoc with Russian logistics and lines-of-command to make a continued push into Scandinavian territory impractical.

Both Russia and Scandinavia possesses WMDs in the form of poison gas, but this is still a time when the predominant military thought is that "the bomber would always get through;" the effectiveness of fighters at pulling enemy bombers from the air has not yet been demonstrated in real battle. Likelier than not both Scandinavia and Russia would carefully refrain from applying poison gas against strategic targets, for fear that the enemy would do the same in retaliation.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:55 am

NS Nation Name: Tracian Empire
Nation Name: The Russian Republic/Russian: Российская Республика-Rossiyskaya Respublika/Ukrainian: Російська Республіка-Rosiysʹka Respublika/Belarussian: Расіі Рэспубліка-Rasii Respublika/Uzbek: Россиыа Республикаси-Rossiya Respublikasi/Kazakh: Ресей Федерациясы-Resey Federacïyası/Georgian: რუსეთის რესპუბლიკა-Ruset’is Respublika/Azerbaijani: Русиыа Республикасı-Rusiya Respublikası/Kyrgyz: Oрус Республикасы-Orus Respublikası/Tajik: Ҷумҳурии Русия-Çumhurii Rusija/Armenian: Ռուսաստանի Դաշնություն-Rrusastani Dashnut’yun
Flag of your nation: Flag of the Russian Republic
One paragraph history of your nation: The history of the Russian Empire is pretty much the same until the February Revolution of 1917, with the exception that Rasputin never went to the palace of Felix Yusupov, and as such, he survived. Following the revolts in Petrograd, on the 2nd of March O.S./15th of March N.S. 1917, Tsar Nicholas II of Russia abdicated. On the 19th of March, the Imperial Family was granted asylum in the UK, and protected by police units under the control of the Provisional Government, Nicholas and his family were taken to Archangelsk, were they boarded a ship, presumably together with Rasputin, avoiding their death. The departure of the Tsar marked the end of an era.
The situation was far from being solved, however. Immediately after the abdication, the Duma declared the creation of the Russian Provisional Government, led by Prince Lvov. But like in real life, the Petrograd Soviet was created, competing with the Provisional Government for popularity and authority. Unlike in real life however, the members of the Provisional Government were paranoid about losing control. The arrival of Lenin complicated the situation. The history of Russia continued in a similar way until the July Days, but the government never organized the Kerensky Offensive. With the morale and loyalty of the frontline troops being both rather questionable, an offensive was seen as something suicidal. Some loyal units were however, brought back from the front, to Petrograd. During the July Days, troops of the Provisional Government arrested several prominent members of the Bolsheviks, while the Provisional Government escaped to Moscow. While trying to escape arrest, Joseph Stalin was shot trying to help Vladimir Lenin escape. During the pursuit, one of the soldiers fired on Lenin, who was heavily wounded. Despite the fact that his supporters managed to save him and to hide in him a safe house, Lenin died later that day due to his injuries. Several Bolsheviks, including Leon Trotsky, Pavel Dybenko, Grigory Zinoviev were arrested. Under pressure from the SRs and the Mansheviks, the Provisional Government decided to execute them, and they were killed with the help of firing squads. Those executions antagonized parts of the Petrograd Soviet, leading to a direct conflict between it and the Government. Similarly to real life, the political scene started to polarize. Centrists and moderate leftists consolidated their position around Kerensky, while the Soviet moved more and more leftwards. Realizing that the situation could spiral out of control, Kerensky decided that it was impossible for Russia to continue the war any longer. Giving in to the old demands of the Petrograd Soviet, the Provisional Government agreed to end the war. The Treaty of Brest-Litovsk was signed in August with similar terms (but without the transfer of territory to the Ottoman Empire), by representatives of both the Soviet and the Government. That however, was a mistake. It acted like an implicit recognition of the authority of the Petrograd Soviet by the Provisional Government. Tensions rose sharply. In February next year, the Petrograd Soviet, led by Nikolay Chkheidze, declared the end of the Dvoevlastie, and the end of their recognition of the Provisional Government. The creation of the Russian Soviet Republic was declared in Petrograd. As a retaliation, the Provisional Government declared the creation of the Russian Republic in Moscow. The Russian Civil War had begun.

However, in their fight against the Petrograd Soviet, the members of the Provisional Government had the loyalty of the leadership of the Russian Army. Under the popular Lavr Kornilov, the White Army was formed, out of the remains of the Imperial Russian Army. The Soviets tried to fight back by strengthening the Red Guards. The first few clashes of the war were inconclusive. But the forces that had been withdrawn from the Baltic States, and from the forces brought from Crimea and the Caucasus, the White forces had important positions in Narva and the in Yaroslavl, while the Soviet forces in Petrograd were endangered by the fighting was taking part in the Finland, due to the White Finnish forces supported by Scandinavia. The Whites had the advantage of equipment, training, and morale. The first move belonged to the Volunteer Army of Moscow, which managed to take Kaluga and Smolensk, defeating the Soviet forces of those cities. As a response, the Soviets attempted an offensive against both Narva and Moscow, which failed due to the superiority of the enemy forces, the Reds being stopped in Kingisepp and Tver. A White counterattack then took Pskov, uniting the two main loyalist forces.

In the south, by November 1918, Denikin managed to form yet another Volunteer Army, gaining the support of the Transcaucasian Federation - which supported by the White forces of the former Russian Army of the Caucasus, had managed to stop the advance of the Ottoman forces, despite an initial defeat in Erzurum, at the battle of Kars. The harsh winter froze the war to a halt, and despite several offensives being started by both sides, no gains were made during the winter. In March of 1919, the Southern Offensive of Denikin, who had his back covered by the Transcaucasians, using armored vehicles and armored trains, managed to break through the Soviet forces, cutting them in half. With an unstable leadership, the Soviet front collapsed and by April, Tsaritsyn and Astrakhan were liberated. In the territory of the former Ukraine, the White forces reached an agreement with the Black Army of Makhno. The First White Army of Ukraine, based in Crimea and southern Ukraine, led by Wrangel, allied itself with Menshevik rebels led by Antonov, and together, they pushed the Soviets, freeing Yekaterinoslav, and then Kharkov. In July, the Black Army and White Ukrainian forces under Symon Petliura took Kiev. August marked the formation of the White Army of Siberia, led by Kolchak, and supported by the Western Allies with volunteers and some equipment. Yekaterinburg was taken, and by October, the force was broken into two, liberating Perm and Ufa.

Roughly around the same time, a massive Soviet force staged a counterattack, leading to the Second Battle of Tsaritsyn. Denikin's forces were slowly pushed back, and to relieve them, Wrangel's forces from Khrakiv led a risky maneuver, that ended with them attacking the Soviet forces in Tsaritsyn from the back. The combined offensive surrounded the Soviets forces, and after a bloody massacre, victory was achieved in November. The front was once again frozen by winter, despite countless attempts of the Soviet forces in Petrograd to attack Narva and Moscow. In early February, Cossack counterrevolutionary forces under Alexander Dutov took Orenburg, and then Samara. Kolchak's forces took Kazan, and by April, Simbrisk had fallen. In the north, mainly formed by Russian prisoners returned from Germany after the end of the war, a new force was created under Yevgeny Miller. Probably with Western support, the force took Archangelsk, and after a long and dangerous march, it made contact with Kolchak's northern forces in Vyatka, in mid July 1920. In the South, Antonov's forces took Voronezh, while the united forces of Denikin and Wrangel pushed onward, liberating Saratov, making contact with the Cossacks of Dutov. The new Southern White Army, put back under the command of Denikin, formed by all these forces, cooperated with the southern forces of Kolchak, surrounding and capturing Penza. Contact was made with Moscow, symbolizing victory in Southern Russia. The winter was spent pacifying those liberated territories, and by January 1921, the forces of Miller and Kolchak took the Soviets by surprise, an an offensive during the winter took Volgoda. In March, with the Narva forces under Nikolai Yudenich being on the verge of collapsed, the Russian Republican Government ordered an all-out offensive. Veliky Novgorod was taken by April, and in the east, after taking Cherepovets, the forces of Kolchak advanced towards Tihkvin, while Miller returned to Archangelsk, where he created another, smaller armed forces, which successfully pushed south, taking Petrozavodsk, before being rerouted to join the forces of Kolchak. In June, a general offensive was launched against Petrograd. The southern forces reached Pushkin and the Nerva, while the Soviet forces started to collapse. Petergrof was taken by the western forces. Petrograd was then besieged for two months. In September, the Soviet defensive finally collapsed, and the city was stormed. All Soviet commissars and officers were executed, and the members of the Petorgrad Soviet were captured, accused of treason, and then executed in early October 1921. The last months of the year were spent fighting against the rebelling Anarchist forces in Ukraine, which, led by Makhno, considered that the Russian Government had betrayed its promises. Reorganized, the Russian Army pushed harshly. Makhno was killed by artillery in January 1922, and under the promise of a democratic federation, White forces in the Ukraine continued to support the Russian Government. March 1922 marked the creation of the new Constitution of the Russian Republic, with the creation of the federal model. Martial law continued to exist, and April 1922 marked a more or less forced agreement with the Transcaucasian Federation, which joined the federation as a Democratic State. Kerensky resigned from his position as Minister-Chairman, and he was elected the first President of the Russian Republic.

The next years were spent rebuilding, finishing the last Soviet centers of resistance. The reforms towards democratization continued, and the economy slowly recovered. Now, in 1930, the Russian Republic can finally look outside of her current borders..towards the territories that had once been Russian..
Government Form: The Russian Republic is a federal semi-presidential republic, formed by multiple constituent states, known as Federal Democratic States/Федеральные Демократические Государства - Federal'nyye Demokraticheskiye Gosudarstva. The head of state is the President of the Russian Republic/Президент Российской Республики-Prezident Rossiyskoy Respubliki, and the head of government is the Chairman of the Government of the Russian Republic/Председатель Правительства Российской Республики-Predsedatel' Pravitel'stva Rossiyskoy Respubliki, normally known as the Prime Minister of the Russian Republic/Премьер-министр Российской Республики-Prem'yer-ministr Rossiyskoy Respubliki. The position of President is currently held by Alexander Kerensky, on his second term, and the position of Minister-Chairman is held by Nikolai Avksentiev. The Russian Republic is structured as a multi-party representative democracy, and its federal government is formed of three branches, respecting the principle of the separation of the powers. The most important political parties are the Constitutional Democratic Party, the Socialist Revolutionary Party, and the League of Monarchists and Conservatives.
The legislative power is held by the bicameral Parliamentary Assembly of the Russian Republic/Парламентская Aссамблея Российской Республики - Parlamentskaya Assambleya Rossiyskoy Respubliki, formed by the State Duma/Госуда́рственная ду́ма - Gosudarstvennaya Duma, the lower chamber, and the upper chamber, the Council of the Russian Republic/Временный Sовет Российской Pеспублики - Vremennyj Covet Rossijskoj Respubliki.The Parliamentary Assembly has the power to adopt federal laws, to declare war, to approve treaties, and it also has the power to impeach the President and the Government, if a vote of no confidence against any of them is won with a majority of 2/3 in each of the chambers. The members of the Parliamentary Assembly are voted once every five years by all citizens of the Russian Republic who are older than 21, regardless of their ethnicity or race. On a local level, each of the Federal Democratic States has its own regional, unicameral State Assembly. The members of the State Assemblies are elected once every four years, by the citizens of their respective state.
The executive power is held by the President, who is also the Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Army. He is elected once every six years by the citizens of the Russian Republic. He appoints the Minister-Chairman of the Russian Government, who then chooses the Ministers of the Russian Government. The Minister-Chairman and the others Ministers must then receive the consent of the Parliamentary Assembly, before being officially sworn in. The Government of the Russian Republic officially administers and enforces the federal laws and policies. On a local level, each Federal Democratic State has its own State Government, led by a Minister-President. The members of regional governments are elected once every four years by the citizens of that state.
The judiciary power is held by the High Court of Justice on a federal level, and by various courts on a regional level. The High Court of Justice and lower federal courts can interpret laws and they can block laws they deem unconstitutional.
  • Democratic State of Russia
  • Democratic State of Ukraine
  • Democratic State of Belarus
  • Democratic State of Uzbekistan
  • Democratic State of Kazakhstan
  • Democratic State of Georgia
  • Democratic State of Azerbaijan
  • Democratic State of Kirghizia
  • Democratic State of Tajikistan
  • Democratic State of Armenia
  • Democratic State of Turkmenia

Army Size: Around 2,600,000 active forces, with roughly the same number in what is considered the reserve. As proven during the Great War, Russia can possibly conscript up to between 12 and 25 million soldiers, with of course, the devastating economic effects that such a conscription would have.
Army Description: The Russian Army/Российская Aрмия - Rossiyskaya Armiya is the ground force of the Russian Republic. It was officially formed in 1917 by those remains of the Imperial Russian Army who have pledged their loyalty and allegiance to the democratic Provisional Government of Russia. Together with paramilitary forces, the Russian Army formed the core of the so called White Army or White Guards during the Russian Civil War, and even know, more than a decade after the war, both of those names have resisted as popular nicknames of the Russian Army.
The Russian Army is, as always, an extremely large force, but it has important disadvantages in terms of equipment, technology, and training. However, important reforms and changes have been made when compared to the old Imperial Army. The victory of the White forces and the subsequent democratization of Russia have mostly ended the loyalty and morale issues of the Russian forces, even if, the loyalty of the non-Russian soldiers in the army is questionable at best.
Most of the Russian Army uses WW1 equipment, together with the modernizations and the changes suffered by that equipment during the Civil War. The main force of the Army is formed by its infantry, including a battle-hardened core of veterans from the Great War and the War against the Bolsheviks. It also employs mechanized and armored vehicles in moderate numbers, but the Russian forces are inferior to those of more advanced nations. The Army also has a large number of artillery units, but those units are inferior in terms of technology to those of other nations. The only field in which the Russian Army is clearly superior is that of armored trains - where it excels due to the experience that it has gained using those sort of units during the Civil War, and experience that most other nations do not have.
Navy Size:The Russian Fleet/Rусский Флот - Russkiy Flot is formed out of the remains of the Imperial Russian Navy. Even if the problems of loyalty and morale of the Imperial Navy have been fixed, and even if the new officer corps of the navy has been formed through meritocracy, the members of the Fleet lack combat experience - and those problems, combined with old equipment, make the Fleet a pretty mediocre force. It is organized in multiple fleets.
The Baltic Fleet
  • 4 Dreadnoughts
  • 3 Pre-Dreadnoughts
  • 4 Battle Cruisers
  • 5 Armored Cruisers
  • 9 Light Cruisers
  • 70 Destroyers, ranging from large vessels that have over 1000 tons, to small torpedo boats. I have been unable to find any details about the exact numbers, but around 30 of those are clearly destroyers.
The Black Sea Fleet
  • 3 Dreadnoughts
  • 6 Pre-Dreadnoughts
  • 3 Light Cruisers
  • 4 Auxiliary Cruisers
  • 25 Destroyers, out of which 15 are large vessels, the remaining 10 are slow, second-class boats.
  • 13 Submarines
  • 3 Gunboats
The Arctic and White Sea Squadron
  • 1 Pre-Dreadnought
  • 1 Cruiser
  • 4 Destroyers
  • 2 Submarines
Pacific Squadron
  • 12 Destroyers
  • 28 Gunboats on the Amur River
Additional Forces
  • 2 Gunboats and 4 Auxiliary Ships, in the Caspian Sea
Air Force: The Military Air Fleet/Bоенно-Bоздушный Флотъ - Boenno-Bozdušnyj Flot is formed by the reformed core of the Imperial Russian Air Service. It currently uses more than 1500 airplanes, out of which an overwhelming majority is formed by WW1 era biplanes, with roughly 2/3 of those being foreign made airplanes, including an overwhelming majority of Nieuport fighters. Only a small core of around 200 airplanes is modernized. More than half of the Russian pilots are experienced WW1 veterans, who also served in the White Guard during the Russian Civil War, but the rest are new pilots, without any sort of combat experience. Among those airplanes, an important force of bombers exists, but it is mostly kept into reserve. Russia also has a small number of WW1 era airships, with around 4 of them being modernized.
Territory of country: Basically the Soviet Union in the real life Interwar Period.
Last edited by Tracian Empire on Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:57 am, edited 5 times in total.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:56 am

-snipped because irrelevant-
Last edited by Plzen on Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:58 am

Plzen wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:Territory of country: Basically the Soviet Union in the real life Interwar Period.

...?!? Interwar Poland? How'd that happen? Even leaving aside the question of the Polish independence movement, there's international politics to consider.

Don't we have an independent Poland?

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:59 am

Tracian Empire wrote:
Plzen wrote:...?!? Interwar Poland? How'd that happen? Even leaving aside the question of the Polish independence movement, there's international politics to consider.

Don't we have an independent Poland?

*reads again*

I'm an idiot, my bad, carry on. :)

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:01 am

Plzen wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:Don't we have an independent Poland?

*reads again*

I'm an idiot, my bad, carry on. :)

The Soviet Union's borders in the Interwar Period stopped near Bessarabia, Poland, and the Baltics :P

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:06 am

Plzen wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:But I do believe that the capital was still moved from Petrograd to Moscow, depending on what Scandinavia would have done during the civil war. Petrograd is still rather.. vulnerable.

It's unlikely that either the Finnish Army or the Scandinavian volunteers have seriously threatened the integrity of Petrograd at any point in the Finnish War of Independence. Even during the height of conscription it's unlikely that Finland could've really fielded more than 200,000 or so men, and any volunteers from Scandinavia would have amounted to a couple division-sized units at best. Likelier than not, Finland "won" its independence not by any real strategic victory, but rather by virtue of the Russian Republic being unable to spare any effort from the much more important battlefields (against the Bolsheviks, etc.) within Russia itself.

Tracian Empire wrote:But besides from the SRs and Kadets, a conservative monarchist party also exists, with a certain degree of influence in the Duma. And while Russia might not be necessarily interested in taking Finland back, like the USSR in real life - moving the border deeper into Finnish territory could be a desire of the Republic.

A military conflict between the Russian Republic and the Scandinavian Commonwealth over the Karelian frontier could be a very interesting late-RP event to play out IC'ly. Come right down to it, even considering the sheer disparity in the equipment and doctrine between the Scandinavian and Russian militaries, the Scandinavian army (77,000 paper strength, even less in reality) is simply too small for an outright military victory over Russia to be possible.

If it comes down to war, Scandinavia will likely use its air superiority plus strategic artillery to reduce Petrograd to dust and rubble, hoping that it will wreck enough havoc with Russian logistics and lines-of-command to make a continued push into Scandinavian territory impractical.

Both Russia and Scandinavia possesses WMDs in the form of poison gas, but this is still a time when the predominant military thought is that "the bomber would always get through;" the effectiveness of fighters at pulling enemy bombers from the air has not yet been demonstrated in real battle. Likelier than not both Scandinavia and Russia would carefully refrain from applying poison gas against strategic targets, for fear that the enemy would do the same in retaliation.

True. But still, the position of Petrograd would most likely be seen as too vulnerable. Too close to a foreign border. Too difficult to control, as the former seat of the Petrograd Soviet. And moving the capital to Moscow would have also allowed the Provisional Government to put some distance between itself and all that Sankt Petersburg used to represent.

It would certainly be an interesting conflict, but like you say, it is going to be risk, in a dieselpunk world like this. On its own, Russia would have a tremendous advantage over Scandinavia in terms of sheer numbers. The Russian Army also has the experience of the Russian Civil War without Stalin coming after it, so the factor of incompetence in the Winter War wouldn't be necessarily present there.

But Scandinavia has a much better equipped force, and it enjoys a higher technological level, giving it an edge in that field. You'd have air superiority and superiority in regards to artillery. So, especially after the lessons learned in WW1, I'd say that Russia has learned that smaller forces with superior equipment and training can defeat its larger armies. So any possible war with Scandinavia would be treated with an extreme precaution.

And yeah, in regards to poison gas, that's true.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:29 am

Also, this a modern song, created for something else, but I believe that I am going to use is as a popular song in the Russian Republic xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipFVd_iHQRo

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:49 am

Tracian Empire wrote:True. But still, the position of Petrograd would most likely be seen as too vulnerable. Too close to a foreign border. Too difficult to control, as the former seat of the Petrograd Soviet. And moving the capital to Moscow would have also allowed the Provisional Government to put some distance between itself and all that Sankt Petersburg used to represent.

I can see the political line to moving the capital. It certainly holds great symbolic value, in the sense of representing the start of a new Russia. It will certainly have been the official reason, considering that the Russians would want to avoid showing how much military vulnerability factored into their decision to move the capital. Showing signs of military weakness to a country 1/6 their population is going to be political suicide for whatever idiot politician proposed it.

Tracian Empire wrote:It would certainly be an interesting conflict, but like you say, it is going to be risk, in a dieselpunk world like this.

This was basically what I was going for with the New Army Reforms. That long, loooong IC post is the result of me idly asking myself a simple question of:

What are the strategic implication of dieselpunk military technology?

Tracian Empire wrote:The Russian Army also has the experience of the Russian Civil War without Stalin coming after it, so the factor of incompetence in the Winter War wouldn't be necessarily present there.

I honestly think that experience from the Russian Civil War will hurt the Russian military more than help it when it comes to war with Scandinavia. Since Russia's bound to be spying on Scandinavia's military development quite closely (we're 32km from your second biggest city, after all), the Russian High Command should be very well aware that trying to apply the lessons of the Great War and the Russian Civil War against the Scandinavian military is likely to end in disaster for the Russians.

Scandinavia has an army it doesn't know how to use, and the Russians have an enemy it doesn't know how to defend against. The first few months of any conflict is going to involve mind-boggling incompetence on both sides that future historians will be amazed by.

On the other hand, if it ends up being a limited Winter War-style conflict, the experience gained could be very valuable for both sides - especially if Russia intends to emulate Scandinavia's reforms later in the '30s.

Tracian Empire wrote:But Scandinavia has a much better equipped force, and it enjoys a higher technological level, giving it an edge in that field. You'd have air superiority and superiority in regards to artillery. So, especially after the lessons learned in WW1, I'd say that Russia has learned that smaller forces with superior equipment and training can defeat its larger armies. So any possible war with Scandinavia would be treated with an extreme precaution.

I can see this being very true, especially considering that Russia very much has an outsider's perspective on Scandinavia's military reforms. From the Russian perspective, Scandinavia's military reforms are just a long list of unknowns, and for a commander, what is unknown is scary.

Tracian Empire wrote:Also, this a modern song, created for something else, but I believe that I am going to use is as a popular song in the Russian Republic xD

This is my response.
Last edited by Plzen on Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:22 am

Plzen wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:True. But still, the position of Petrograd would most likely be seen as too vulnerable. Too close to a foreign border. Too difficult to control, as the former seat of the Petrograd Soviet. And moving the capital to Moscow would have also allowed the Provisional Government to put some distance between itself and all that Sankt Petersburg used to represent.

I can see the political line to moving the capital. It certainly holds great symbolic value, in the sense of representing the start of a new Russia. It will certainly have been the official reason, considering that the Russians would want to avoid showing how much military vulnerability factored into their decision to move the capital. Showing signs of military weakness to a country 1/6 their population is going to be political suicide for whatever idiot politician proposed it.

Tracian Empire wrote:It would certainly be an interesting conflict, but like you say, it is going to be risk, in a dieselpunk world like this.

This was basically what I was going for with the New Army Reforms. That long, loooong IC post is the result of me idly asking myself a simple question of:

What are the strategic implication of dieselpunk military technology?

Tracian Empire wrote:The Russian Army also has the experience of the Russian Civil War without Stalin coming after it, so the factor of incompetence in the Winter War wouldn't be necessarily present there.

I honestly think that experience from the Russian Civil War will hurt the Russian military more than help it when it comes to war with Scandinavia. Since Russia's bound to be spying on Scandinavia's military development quite closely (we're 32km from your second biggest city, after all), the Russian High Command should be very well aware that trying to apply the lessons of the Great War and the Russian Civil War against the Scandinavian military is likely to end in disaster for the Russians.

Scandinavia has an army it doesn't know how to use, and the Russians have an enemy it doesn't know how to defend against. The first few months of any conflict is going to involve mind-boggling incompetence on both sides that future historians will be amazed by.

On the other hand, if it ends up being a limited Winter War-style conflict, the experience gained could be very valuable for both sides - especially if Russia intends to emulate Scandinavia's reforms later in the '30s.

Tracian Empire wrote:But Scandinavia has a much better equipped force, and it enjoys a higher technological level, giving it an edge in that field. You'd have air superiority and superiority in regards to artillery. So, especially after the lessons learned in WW1, I'd say that Russia has learned that smaller forces with superior equipment and training can defeat its larger armies. So any possible war with Scandinavia would be treated with an extreme precaution.

I can see this being very true, especially considering that Russia very much has an outsider's perspective on Scandinavia's military reforms. From the Russian perspective, Scandinavia's military reforms are just a long list of unknowns, and for a commander, what is unknown is scary.

Tracian Empire wrote:Also, this a modern song, created for something else, but I believe that I am going to use is as a popular song in the Russian Republic xD

This is my response.

The Government will most certainly not use the military weakness as the public reason behind it. The symbolic value was the official reason behind it. But in reality, it wasn't just because of Scandinavia, like I said - Petrograd was deeply infiltrated by Bolsheviks. Moving the headquarters of the Provisional Government to a easier to defend and more loyal city was a good move.

Yeah, and because of that, the Scandinavian Army seems to have benefited a lot from the dieselpunk technology xD

A reform of the military is one of the big ambitions of the Russian Republic, but even if it is actually started, it would take years.

It depends. The situation of a conflict between Scandinavia and the Russian Republic is certainly different from that of the Great War and the Russian Civil War. But we can't underestimate the benefits that those conflicts had over the Russian Army and the Russian High Command. Not in a technological way, but the army was reformed. Its numbers are still its biggest strength, but it is no longer the same completely incompetent army that it was during WW1.

The first months of such a war would certainly be filled with incompetence and mistake, on both sides. It's also really likely that such a war would end in a similar way to the Winter War - it all depends on the circumstances xD

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:24 am

Also, does this RP have a map?

Because it kinda needs one xD

Jiyon
Envoy

Founded: Apr 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Jiyon » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:27 am

Yeah, sure does :lol:
PROUD DEMOCRATIC SOCIALIST

Pro: Socialism, Democratic Party, Bernie Sanders, Barack Obama, Immigration, Pacifism, Feminism, Fighting Climate Change, Income Equality, Universal Healthcare, Palestine (2 State Solution), Free Education, Welfare, Taxation on 1%, Occupy Wall Street

Anti: Donald Trump, Republican Party, War, Nuclear Weapons, Fascism, Neo-Nazis, KKK, Racism

Jiyon
Envoy

Founded: Apr 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Jiyon » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:28 am

I'll tr making one
PROUD DEMOCRATIC SOCIALIST

Pro: Socialism, Democratic Party, Bernie Sanders, Barack Obama, Immigration, Pacifism, Feminism, Fighting Climate Change, Income Equality, Universal Healthcare, Palestine (2 State Solution), Free Education, Welfare, Taxation on 1%, Occupy Wall Street

Anti: Donald Trump, Republican Party, War, Nuclear Weapons, Fascism, Neo-Nazis, KKK, Racism

Arctica-Aleutia
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Arctica-Aleutia » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:25 pm

I suppose what I have in mind for my character is a leader of some sort of militia that defends against the Luddite terrorists that someone mentioned earlier. I haven't gotten a chance to read everything over, so the app won't be up until later today most likely.

Also, I feel kind of weird because I was playing Battlefield 1 for a few hours. I guess it got me kind of disoriented.
NS Stats
Ask Questions Here!
CANONICAL CHANGE: Wyatt is now 29, not 19.
NEWS: Army helping Ottoman Republic forces attack the last ISIS strongholds in the region -- Prussian kaiser meets with President Larisa aboard the battlesteamer Kennedy -- This year's October Festival a grand success, larger than ever due to this being the 100th anniversary of the October Revolution -- Geologists express concern about submarine mining operations near Aleutian fault lines -- Egalitarian Front wins election, at least one more year for President Larisa
~Pray for John McCain~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse