NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations [OOC | Always Open]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Saxony-Brandenburg
Minister
 
Posts: 3052
Founded: Mar 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Saxony-Brandenburg » Sat Sep 19, 2026 10:39 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Newwe Zion wrote:Yeah, I was wondering about that. I couldn't find any good resources on what those proper nouns would be called in this period. Unfortunately there's very little firsthand archeological records from the period. I was also under the impression that, with the ability to understand languages, if the people used a different name then it would sort of transliterate subconsciously into a recognizable form for the author, but if that's now how it works I can totally go back and revise things. But I digress, if you know of any sources for early 3rd millennium Canaan, I'd love to get my hands on them! I'd take anything I can get, really.


Yeah the best principle to run off of translation is essentially that it handles ideas, not specifics. Generally speaking proper nouns won’t cross the barrier (since they’re references, not concepts) and things that don’t have a cognitive equivalent to someone you are talking to won’t make the jump either.

So your Author talking about “New York City” would just be those syllables in English, or an “engine” would come through as a direct loan-word, but discussing the sun or the muddy pathway outside of a village would work just fine.

Regrettably I don’t think we have any good sources for this far back in the region - you’ll likely have do some arbitrary conglang, or idiomatic Ugaritic translation.


I love shoving Akkadian words where they really shouldn't be for these purposes.
"When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?"

User avatar
G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 68913
Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Sep 20, 2026 6:36 am

Saxony-Brandenburg wrote:I love shoving Akkadian words where they really shouldn't be for these purposes.


When I'm not feeling lazy I trace modern place names as far back as I can to their Indo-European roots in my neck of the woods, and blind-idiot translate those names to English for Imperial settlements. But that only works in places with strong archaeological history, regrettably.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

User avatar
Tesserach
Diplomat
 
Posts: 711
Founded: Apr 25, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tesserach » Fri Sep 25, 2026 6:13 pm

I'm still stuck between Nuxipal's standard in my region of just translating modern place names - which I feel at least has the advantage of allowing present audiences to track where things are happening.

We're kind of all over the map on our language/naming conventions in Mehrgarh.
Pndapetzim

User avatar
Tesserach
Diplomat
 
Posts: 711
Founded: Apr 25, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tesserach » Tue Sep 29, 2026 8:52 pm

I'll also note to Vaishnavaria that I responded to your TG, in case - like me - you grotesquely neglect checking such things.
Pndapetzim

Previous

Return to Portal to the Multiverse

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Mallatrovia

Advertisement

Remove ads