NATION

PASSWORD

Cold War RP III (Closed.)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

A New UN Name because I don't want to WA this.

Poll ended at Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:07 pm

League of Nations
41%
Pact of Nations
No votes
Assembly of the World
6%
World Assembly (originality right here)
No votes
World Organisation
6%
General Assembly
24%
Organisation of United Nations
18%
Nations United
6%

Total votes : 17

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:54 pm

Wasi State wrote:Yeah we could end having an early Vietnam style war in Gran Columbia real soon, it'll make the Contra movement in Central America IRL seem like a cakewalk by comparison.

Well, the contras were actually supplied and supported by the US
Behind the free market lies the iron fist of the state - the one thing I learned from The Blaatschapen, excluding how to say sheep in dutch.
Update: apparently it’s bleating sheep.

Wasi State
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Wasi State » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:55 pm

Mathuvan Union wrote:
Wasi State wrote:Yeah we could end having an early Vietnam style war in Gran Columbia real soon, it'll make the Contra movement in Central America IRL seem like a cakewalk by comparison.

Well, the contras were actually supplied and supported by the US

I'm aware, I mentioned them as a IRL counterpart/foil to what we're about to see in the RP.
Chedastan Puppet

Romextly
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Romextly » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:57 pm

Maybe there would be some loyalists.

Monsone
Minister

Founded: Apr 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Monsone » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:59 pm

Romextly wrote:

Maybe there would be some loyalists.

Maybe. But I think most people in Venezuela would want independence. After all, Venezuela was Latin America's richest country by the 1930s and by the 1950s was second only to Argentina. It is more than likely that Venezuelans would want their oil money to go towards their nation and their people and not bankrolling the USA and it's foreign interventions.
Mohn-sohn-eh

Nuclear Power, Electric Vehicles, Single-Payer Universal Healthcare, High-Speed Rail, Social Services, Public Transit, Social Democracy, and Social Democracy.

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:10 pm

Monsone wrote:
Romextly wrote:Maybe there would be some loyalists.

Maybe. But I think most people in Venezuela would want independence. After all, Venezuela was Latin America's richest country by the 1930s and by the 1950s was second only to Argentina. It is more than likely that Venezuelans would want their oil money to go towards their nation and their people and not bankrolling the USA and it's foreign interventions.

They have support from nationals, but most likely not foreigners
Behind the free market lies the iron fist of the state - the one thing I learned from The Blaatschapen, excluding how to say sheep in dutch.

Monsone
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Monsone » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:13 pm

Mathuvan Union wrote:
Monsone wrote:Maybe. But I think most people in Venezuela would want independence. After all, Venezuela was Latin America's richest country by the 1930s and by the 1950s was second only to Argentina. It is more than likely that Venezuelans would want their oil money to go towards their nation and their people and not bankrolling the USA and it's foreign interventions.

They have support from nationals, but most likely not foreigners

The USSR, PRC, and possibly other communist nations would support them. I mean, if the USA does human rights violations or violates the Geneva Convention in dealing with the rebels, then most nations would suport the rebels. But I think a lot of nations are going to be neutral for the time being, or support both sides.
Mohn-sohn-eh

Nuclear Power, Electric Vehicles, Single-Payer Universal Healthcare, High-Speed Rail, Social Services, Public Transit, Social Democracy, and Social Democracy.

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:15 pm

Monsone wrote:
Mathuvan Union wrote:They have support from nationals, but most likely not foreigners

The USSR, PRC, and possibly other communist nations would support them. I mean, if the USA does human rights violations or violates the Geneva Convention in dealing with the rebels, then most nations would suport the rebels. But I think a lot of nations are going to be neutral for the time being, or support both sides.

Eh.
Imma stay neutral as I’m trying to buy stuff from the Americans, while quietly shipping off stuff to the rebels

Greater Liverpool
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 13, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Greater Liverpool » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:40 pm

Right just put up a quick little post who wants some resources for cheap.
An orthodox convert who doesn't support Russia

Slava Ukraini

Fennoscandia Union
Attaché

Founded: Apr 07, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Fennoscandia Union » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:41 pm

Eventually, I'm going to be Gran Columbia's greatest ally. I'm so excited for a fellow South American state, and when we break away from the American sphere, we can join forces.
Liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our times

If you support Capitalism, put this in your signature
_[' ]_
(-_Q)

Greater Liverpool
Ambassador

Postby Greater Liverpool » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:47 pm

Fennoscandia Union wrote:Eventually, I'm going to be Gran Columbia's greatest ally. I'm so excited for a fellow South American state, and when we break away from the American sphere, we can join forces.

US sucks

This post is made by Latin American Gang

Slava Ukraini

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:49 pm

Greater Liverpool wrote:
Fennoscandia Union wrote:Eventually, I'm going to be Gran Columbia's greatest ally. I'm so excited for a fellow South American state, and when we break away from the American sphere, we can join forces.

US sucks

This post is made by Latin American Gang

I’m quietly gonna support u.

I need American planes.

Greater Liverpool
Ambassador

Postby Greater Liverpool » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:38 pm

Can someone just give me the quick run down on people relations with the US

Slava Ukraini

Sarderia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:46 pm

Sooner or later the CIA is going to find out. I'm about to drown Brazil in American investments, but if the CIA finds out, well, Brazil would be cut off entirely.
Greater Liverpool wrote:Right just put up a quick little post who wants some resources for cheap.

Like you can wrestle Venezuela away from US control :p
Takkan Melayu Hilang Di Dunia

Slaver Pirates of Vaas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Slaver Pirates of Vaas » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:49 pm

The introduction of this rebel group in Gran Columbia has revived my interest somewhat in this RP. Though, I have a problem with the fighters being in WP. It won't really help them in the long run.

Regardless, I'll go ahead a make a post.

Slaver Pirates of Vaas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Slaver Pirates of Vaas » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:50 pm

Sarderia wrote:Like you can wrestle Venezuela away from US control :p

We'll see what happens when the 1960s comes around.

EDIT: Arguably, the only big threat that the US will have to attend to is its own people.
Last edited by Slaver Pirates of Vaas on Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monsone
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Monsone » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:18 pm

Sarderia wrote:

Sooner or later the CIA is going to find out. I'm about to drown Brazil in American investments, but if the CIA finds out, well, Brazil would be cut off entirely.
Greater Liverpool wrote:Right just put up a quick little post who wants some resources for cheap.

Don't forget the the USA is still deeply segregated and racism is extremely overt in the 1950s. The Venezuelan struggle may not seem serious, but it could (and probably will) lead to the 1960s being even more convoluted and radical than IRL
Mohn-sohn-eh

Greater Liverpool
Ambassador

Postby Greater Liverpool » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:29 pm

Sarderia wrote:

Is Venezuela classed as a territory?

Slava Ukraini

Monsone
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Monsone » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:35 pm

Greater Liverpool wrote:
Sarderia wrote:Sooner or later the CIA is going to find out. I'm about to drown Brazil in American investments, but if the CIA finds out, well, Brazil would be cut off entirely.

It's American, and I think so.
Mohn-sohn-eh

Greater Liverpool
Ambassador

Postby Greater Liverpool » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:39 pm

Monsone wrote:
Greater Liverpool wrote:

It's American, and I think so.

That is what I was asking cause I just wondering.

Slava Ukraini

Greater Liverpool
Ambassador

Postby Greater Liverpool » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:43 pm

Also I do believe I can take Venezuela away the Vietnamese beat you in the 1960's/70s
Last edited by Greater Liverpool on Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Slava Ukraini

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:49 pm

Greater Liverpool wrote:
Sarderia wrote:Sooner or later the CIA is going to find out. I'm about to drown Brazil in American investments, but if the CIA finds out, well, Brazil would be cut off entirely.

It's under a puppet government similar to the Trust Territory of Pacific Islands (which has it's own President and national Government), but it's still technically a U.S. territory. The Venezuelans are US citizens similar to Puerto Rico. Additionally, Venezuelan "citizenship" is granted to every US citizen who owns a Venezuelan ID card. Currently, America is trying to industrialize Venezuela (building infrastructure, factories, expanding agricultural land, etc.) using the sale of it's natural resources as a Sovereign Wealth Fund (think the Government Pension Fund of Norway, or Temasek Holdings of Singapore). So, technically, there is little to no trickle from Venezuelan oil that reach US federal budget (this is considered common knowledge as well). The reason why is America's trying to maintain a good image in front of the South American countries, since at this time Venezuela hass the most advanced and prosperous economy of all South American nations, and also to promote the Capitalist economic system.

One thing that should be noted is that while Panama, Puerto Rico, and Venezuela are still territories of sorts, the Dominican Republic is a full-fledged American state. Even at this time Hawaii and Alaska are not yet US states. The reason is because Dominica wanted to join the Union as a state when Ulysses S. Grant was President (the Dominican President at that time negotiated Dominica's entry to the US).

I plan for both Panama and Puerto Rico to start the process of statehood soon, maybe about the end of 1950. For Venezuela, because they're already under an American puppet government, it would take longer.

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:51 pm

Greater Liverpool wrote:Also I do believe I can take Venezuela away the Vietnamese beat you in the 1960's/70s

You are a rebellion fighting against the Venezuelan National Guard, in addition to the US military, and whatever CIA-funded jungle groups that would wage a counter-guerilla war against your group. Additionally, the CIA-backed groups would also make and smuggle cocaine discreetly (just like the Contras) to help them reach the lower population and to grant them additional funds. The chances are quite slim.

Also, Venezuelans has reaped the result of US rule in form of higher standards of living, so they're less likely to support you, perhaps.

Monsone
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Monsone » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:03 pm

Sarderia wrote:
Greater Liverpool wrote:Also I do believe I can take Venezuela away the Vietnamese beat you in the 1960's/70s

You are a rebellion fighting against the Venezuelan National Guard, in addition to the US military, and whatever CIA-funded jungle groups that would wage a counter-guerilla war against your group. Additionally, the CIA-backed groups would also make and smuggle cocaine discreetly (just like the Contras) to help them reach the lower population and to grant them additional funds. The chances are quite slim.

Also, Venezuelans has reaped the result of US rule in form of higher standards of living, so they're less likely to support you, perhaps.

You realize that to reach Venezuela's "lower population" (the poor?) you're going to need something different from cocaine. The Venezuelan poor are going to be drawn to the promise of a welfare state. The USA would consider a welfare state communist and not allow it. But it would sway the poor. And IRL, the reason Venezuela had such a high standard of living was because of welfare, something the USA has yet to IRL adopt fully, and something the USA in this RP certainly lacks.

Also, remember that Venezuela can legally hold an independence refferendum since it is not a state. Considering there are still Venezuelans who would remember an independent Venezuela as well as the fact Venezuela is extremely different culturally, ethnically, as well as linguistically from the USA makes the case of independence very appealing. Especially since all the tax money being taken from Venezuela would stay in Venezuela and not go to Washington D.C.
Mohn-sohn-eh

Greater Liverpool
Ambassador

Postby Greater Liverpool » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:11 pm

Also not to mention that you would be loosing like loads of cash on trying to improve it. You say that oil can pay for it which it can but considering you took over the country in 1913 more then likely the oil is owned by private companies. There is also the fact that the great depression would completely destroy the region since I would guess the economy would be in the hands of the US. I think you have to accept that loosing Venezuela might be something.

Slava Ukraini

Monsone
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Monsone » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:12 pm

Sarderia wrote:
Greater Liverpool wrote:

It's under a puppet government similar to the Trust Territory of Pacific Islands (which has it's own President and national Government), but it's still technically a U.S. territory. The Venezuelans are US citizens similar to Puerto Rico. Additionally, Venezuelan "citizenship" is granted to every US citizen who owns a Venezuelan ID card. Currently, America is trying to industrialize Venezuela (building infrastructure, factories, expanding agricultural land, etc.) using the sale of it's natural resources as a Sovereign Wealth Fund (think the Government Pension Fund of Norway, or Temasek Holdings of Singapore). So, technically, there is little to no trickle from Venezuelan oil that reach US federal budget (this is considered common knowledge as well). The reason why is America's trying to maintain a good image in front of the South American countries, since at this time Venezuela hass the most advanced and prosperous economy of all South American nations, and also to promote the Capitalist economic system.

One thing that should be noted is that while Panama, Puerto Rico, and Venezuela are still territories of sorts, the Dominican Republic is a full-fledged American state. Even at this time Hawaii and Alaska are not yet US states. The reason is because Dominica wanted to join the Union as a state when Ulysses S. Grant was President (the Dominican President at that time negotiated Dominica's entry to the US).

I plan for both Panama and Puerto Rico to start the process of statehood soon, maybe about the end of 1950. For Venezuela, because they're already under an American puppet government, it would take longer.

Why would the 1950s USA let primarily Spanish speaking teritories become states? The racist policies of the USA would be undermined by said act, and you don't have the lore necessary to enforce those changes. Also, statehood is a long and complicated process that takes years, and requires congressional approval. And annexing a territory with an active insurgency? Congress would not allow that. And no matter how strong the Venezuelan economy is, it doesn't change the fact that welfare programs that McCarthy would deem communist where what gave Venezuela a high standard of living, not just some strong economy because if that is the case, China and the USA should top the HDI index, but they don't because economy alone doesn't really matter.
Mohn-sohn-eh

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse