NATION

PASSWORD

Wild Beasts of the Earth (Gothic Horror|OOC|Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Miekzhemy
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Miekzhemy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:47 am

Gonna tag for interest here.

Are there any rules against a character from the Central Powers? Aside from being subject to the bigotry that comes with it of course :p
I'm just a guy that likes playing video games, drawing, acting/musical theatre, piano, rp, and impersonating people with a spunky disposition.

Europa Undivided
Minister

Founded: Jun 18, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Europa Undivided » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:49 am

Miekzhemy wrote:Gonna tag for interest here.

Are there any rules against a character from the Central Powers? Aside from being subject to the bigotry that comes with it of course :p

I don't believe so... though if you're a Turk... well, one of my characters is an Armenian. Enough said. XD
Protestant ~ RPer ~ House of RepresentaThieves ~ Worldbuilder ~ Filipino ~ Centrist ~ Pro-Life ~ Agent of Chaos ~ Discord: derangedtroglodyte ~ No Ani Anquietas, hic qua videum
“Those who cannot conceive Friendship as a substantive love but only as a disguise or elaboration of Eros betray the fact that they have never had a Friend." - C.S. Lewis
“War is cringe." - Moon Tzu, the Art of Peace

Miekzhemy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Miekzhemy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:54 am

Europa Undivided wrote:
Miekzhemy wrote:Gonna tag for interest here.

I don't believe so... though if you're a Turk... well, one of my characters is an Armenian. Enough said. XD

Just when I get the urge to play a Turkish soldier LMAO

Yikes. That might be awkward
I'm just a guy that likes playing video games, drawing, acting/musical theatre, piano, rp, and impersonating people with a spunky disposition.

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:12 am

Lomun wrote:Extremely WIP
Character Description
    Name: Adrik Skryabin
    Nationality: British
    Appearance:
    (Feel free to describe with text or put pictures in here. If you are using a picture, owing to the general high quality of what people have done so far, I will ask you to change it if it is blatantly anachronistic.)

Personal Effects: (Any personal belongings you have in your suitcase. No magical artefacts and if you want to include a weapon, limit it to something small and concealable such as a pistol/revolver/derringer… anything bigger and you’ll be in prison, not at the Club.)

Background:
    What is your job: Former Police Investigator (retired)
    Backstory: Immigrated at 3 to Britain from Russia with parents. 24 years experience as a detective. Retired the year the war ended. Neighborhood P.I.: Found lost cats snooped for favors, eternally bored. Over the years noticed several inexplicable, unsolvable cases. Received manila envelope promising an opportunity to satiate his curiosity (presumably by the Order). "By golly, I'm no gambling man, but this is one bet I'll have to take."

found lost cats :lol: ... though just to point out the RP is set pretty much straight after the end of the war, so he won't have found too many cats since the guns stopped.

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:17 am

Miekzhemy wrote:
Europa Undivided wrote:I don't believe so... though if you're a Turk... well, one of my characters is an Armenian. Enough said. XD

But awkward is also fun!

No rules against Central Powers characters.

Europa Undivided
Minister

Founded: Jun 18, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Europa Undivided » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:26 am

Miekzhemy wrote:
Europa Undivided wrote:I don't believe so... though if you're a Turk... well, one of my characters is an Armenian. Enough said. XD

That's actually better XD

Who knows, maybe they wind up becoming friends for life. Hehehehe
Last edited by Europa Undivided on Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Protestant ~ RPer ~ House of RepresentaThieves ~ Worldbuilder ~ Filipino ~ Centrist ~ Pro-Life ~ Agent of Chaos ~ Discord: derangedtroglodyte ~ No Ani Anquietas, hic qua videum
“Those who cannot conceive Friendship as a substantive love but only as a disguise or elaboration of Eros betray the fact that they have never had a Friend." - C.S. Lewis
“War is cringe." - Moon Tzu, the Art of Peace

Voxija
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 17, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Voxija » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:29 am

This might be a replacement character for Victoria Wasserman if she dies, but it evolved into analyzing a German-Jewish Central Powers soldier with the benefit of hindsight.

Character Description
    Name: Adam Weiss
    Nationality: jewish German, because the Second Reich isn't the Third Reich. Essentially, Adam sees himself as German first, but others see him as Jewish first. Hopefully.
    Appearance:
    Adam Weiss is a short (5' 5") man with a square-shaped face, a Roman nose, and brown eyes that have seen too much. He has platinum-blond hair that almost looks white and is prone to sticking straight up. Adam is clean-shaven, since he cannot grow a mustache no matter how he tries.

Personal Effects: A Mauser pistol, a couple of outfits, his journal, and his lucky pfennig.

Background:
    What is your job Former German soldier.
    Backstory: Adam Weiss was born in 10 January 1888 in a small Hessian village to a rabbi father and a very sweet mother. He learned a taste for adventure and a sense of German patriotism. Adam had a lot of friends and also a lot of bullies. The bullies bullied Adam for being Jewish and his friends would beat up the bullies. Adam's friends would never let him touch a bully, although the boy wanted to get at 'em.

Adam Weiss enrolled in university to learn psychology, but quickly became disillusioned with the subject. He decided that traveling the world would help him learn about people better, and he dropped out of college to go traveling. Adam learned English, French, and Arabic along with his native German, Yiddish, and Hebrew. Adam went all around Europe and the Middle East.

Adam Weiss met Harriet Salt, the daughter of a British Ægyptologist. They had a whirlwind romance, which sadly ended when Adam felt a pull from his native Germany. He felt like there was going to be a war soon, and Adam had to choose between his love and his country. He chose his country.

Adam Weiss moved back into his little Hessian town until the war started. Adam volunteered quickly, thinking war was glorious. That was proven wrong very quickly. Fighting in the trenches of Belgium, Adam learned quickly that war was hell. Adam made a friend in the trenches, Johann Schmeer. Adam Weiss kept a journal, in which he struggled with his two identities, Jewish and German.

About a couple years later—time is hard to keep in the trenches. Johann makes a foolhardy mistake. Adam risks his life to keep Johann from dying, but his friend still dies. Adam wakes up in hospital from a leg injury and most of his memory of the incident gone. Adam got an Iron Cross for bravery.

Adam Weiss's leg injury eventually healed, but he could never fight again. He moved back to his town, but both of his parents were dead. His father when Adam was fighting, and his mother when Adam was adventuring. Adam decided to visit his old flame Harriet in London, going on a hunch. London won't like a former German soldier, but Adam is nothing if not brave. On his way there, Adam received a strange letter...
Last edited by Voxija on Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Republic of Voxija (pronounced: Voshiya)
I'm a woman. Some weird Jew. Trying to learn French and failing. An American who wishes the US would switch to the metric system. Part of a giant conspiracy. Secret pyromaniac? I will never make an OOC factbook!

my politics are confused and muddled
Most of my grammar errors are on purpose. Sppeling errors, tho...
I'd rather be fishing. | Author of Issues 1324 and 1346.
Generic MT liberal democracy Meh. | I think that by now I've created more lore for my nation than most real-world nations have.
Disclaimer: the views of my characters do not necessarily represent the views of the author.

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:58 am

Voxija wrote:This might be a replacement character for Victoria Wasserman if she dies, but it evolved into analyzing a German-Jewish Central Powers soldier with the benefit of hindsight.

Character Description
    Nationality: jewish German, because the Second Reich isn't the Third Reich. Essentially, Adam sees himself as German first, but others see him as Jewish first. Hopefully.
    Appearance:
    Adam Weiss is a short (5' 8") man with a square-shaped face, a Roman nose, and brown eyes that have seen too much. He has platinum-blond hair that almost looks white and is prone to sticking straight up. Adam is clean-shaven, since he cannot grow a mustache no matter how he tries.

Personal Effects: A Mauser pistol, a couple of outfits, his journal, and his lucky pfennig.

Background:
    What is your job Former German soldier, was an adventurer before he volunteered in the army.
    Backstory: Adam Weiss was born in 10 January 1883 in a small Hessian village to a rabbi father and a very sweet mother. He learned a taste for adventure and a sense of German patriotism. Adam had a lot of friends and also a lot of bullies. The bullies bullied Adam for being Jewish and his friends would beat up the bullies. Adam's friends would never let him touch a bully, although the boy wanted to get at 'em.

Adam Weiss enrolled in university to learn psychology, but quickly became disillusioned with the subject. He decided that traveling the world would help him learn about people better, and he dropped out of college to go adventuring. Adam learned English and Spanish along with his native German, Yiddish, and Hebrew. Adam went to Germany's African colonies, Papua New Guinea, Australia, and South America.

In South America, Adam Weiss met Victoria Wasserman. They had a whirlwind romance, which sadly ended when Adam felt a pull from his native Germany. He felt like there was going to be a war soon, and Adam had to choose between his love and his country. He chose his country, breaking Victoria's heart.

Adam Weiss moved back into his little Hessian town until the war started. Adam volunteered quickly, thinking war was glorious. That was proven wrong very quickly. Fighting in the trenches of Belgium, Adam learned quickly that war was hell. Adam made a friend in the trenches, Johann Schmeer. Adam Weiss kept a journal, in which he struggled with his two identities, Jewish and German.

About a couple years later—time is hard to keep in the trenches. Johann makes a foolhardy mistake. Adam risks his life to keep Johann from dying, but his friend still dies. Adam wakes up in hospital from a leg injury and most of his memory of the incident gone. Adam got an Iron Cross for bravery.

Adam Weiss's leg injury eventually healed, but he could never fight again. He moved back to his town, but both of his parents were dead. His father when Adam was fighting, and his mother when Adam was adventuring. Adam decided to visit his old flame Victoria in London. London won't like a former German soldier, but Adam is nothing if not brave. On his way there, Adam received a strange letter...

I'm generally happy with this app and like the idea of someone from the central powers in the RP, however, there is one thing I would like you to change. I'm guessing it's kinda central, so you might want to have a think about it; I don't want people writing preexisting relationships between their characters. I am very happy for (and would keenly encourage) you to talk to another writer though and use their character to fill the role of Victoria in the backstory.

What I want to try to avoid is your characters becoming isolated from the others in the thread, which is what happens more often than not as the temptation becomes to take the easy route and develop your characters on your own, rather than working with another writer.

Voxija
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Voxija » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:45 am

Dyelli Beybi wrote:
Voxija wrote:This might be a replacement character for Victoria Wasserman if she dies, but it evolved into analyzing a German-Jewish Central Powers soldier with the benefit of hindsight.

Character Description
    Appearance:
    Adam Weiss is a short (5' 8") man with a square-shaped face, a Roman nose, and brown eyes that have seen too much. He has platinum-blond hair that almost looks white and is prone to sticking straight up. Adam is clean-shaven, since he cannot grow a mustache no matter how he tries.

Background:
    What is your job Former German soldier, was an adventurer before he volunteered in the army.
    Backstory: Adam Weiss was born in 10 January 1883 in a small Hessian village to a rabbi father and a very sweet mother. He learned a taste for adventure and a sense of German patriotism. Adam had a lot of friends and also a lot of bullies. The bullies bullied Adam for being Jewish and his friends would beat up the bullies. Adam's friends would never let him touch a bully, although the boy wanted to get at 'em.

Adam Weiss enrolled in university to learn psychology, but quickly became disillusioned with the subject. He decided that traveling the world would help him learn about people better, and he dropped out of college to go adventuring. Adam learned English and Spanish along with his native German, Yiddish, and Hebrew. Adam went to Germany's African colonies, Papua New Guinea, Australia, and South America.

In South America, Adam Weiss met Victoria Wasserman. They had a whirlwind romance, which sadly ended when Adam felt a pull from his native Germany. He felt like there was going to be a war soon, and Adam had to choose between his love and his country. He chose his country, breaking Victoria's heart.

Adam Weiss's leg injury eventually healed, but he could never fight again. He moved back to his town, but both of his parents were dead. His father when Adam was fighting, and his mother when Adam was adventuring. Adam decided to visit his old flame Victoria in London. London won't like a former German soldier, but Adam is nothing if not brave. On his way there, Adam received a strange letter...

I'm generally happy with this app and like the idea of someone from the central powers in the RP, however, there is one thing I would like you to change. I'm guessing it's kinda central, so you might want to have a think about it; I don't want people writing preexisting relationships between their characters. I am very happy for (and would keenly encourage) you to talk to another writer though and use their character to fill the role of Victoria in the backstory.

What I want to try to avoid is your characters becoming isolated from the others in the thread, which is what happens more often than not as the temptation becomes to take the easy route and develop your characters on your own, rather than working with another writer.

I would say something about symbolism, but I'll guess I'll talk with someone else.

I TG'd Bingellia.
Last edited by Voxija on Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a woman. Some weird Jew. Trying to learn French and failing. An American who wishes the US would switch to the metric system. Part of a giant conspiracy. Secret pyromaniac? I will never make an OOC factbook!

Generic MT liberal democracy Meh. | I think that by now I've created more lore for my nation than most real-world nations have.
Disclaimer: the views of my characters do not necessarily represent the views of the author.

Demencia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 12, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Demencia » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:46 am

also, 5'8 is a tall dude in 1918, since the average man is 5'5

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:08 pm

Voxija wrote:
Dyelli Beybi wrote:

I would say something about symbolism, but I'll guess I'll talk with someone else.

I TG'd Bingellia.

Cool... though if you don't get any joy with people I'm happy to create a character with you that I write.

I just don't want you getting stuck in that pigeon hole!

Voxija
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Voxija » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:43 pm

Dyelli Beybi wrote:
Voxija wrote:

I TG'd Bingellia.

Cool... though if you don't get any joy with people I'm happy to create a character with you that I write.

I just don't want you getting stuck in that pigeon hole!

Well, Bingellia hasn't answered my TG I sent... three hours ago. I can wait.

Voxija
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Voxija » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:38 pm

Character Description
    Appearance:
    Adam Weiss is a short (5' 5") man with a square-shaped face, a Roman nose, and brown eyes that have seen too much. He has platinum-blond hair that almost looks white and is prone to sticking straight up. Adam is clean-shaven, since he cannot grow a mustache no matter how he tries.

Background:
    Backstory: Adam Weiss was born in 10 January 1888 in a small Hessian village to a rabbi father and a very sweet mother. He learned a taste for adventure and a sense of German patriotism. Adam had a lot of friends and also a lot of bullies. The bullies bullied Adam for being Jewish and his friends would beat up the bullies. Adam's friends would never let him touch a bully, although the boy wanted to get at 'em.

Adam Weiss enrolled in university to learn psychology, but quickly became disillusioned with the subject. He decided that traveling the world would help him learn about people better, and he dropped out of college to go traveling. Adam learned English, French, and Italian along with his native German, Yiddish, and Hebrew. Adam went all around Europe, traveling to Britain and France and Italy.

Adam Weiss met Bridget Reeves, before she was called Viviette. They had a whirlwind romance, which sadly ended when Adam felt a pull from his native Germany. He felt like there was going to be a war soon, and Adam had to choose between his love and his country. He chose his country.

Adam Weiss's leg injury eventually healed, but he could never fight again. He moved back to his town, but both of his parents were dead. His father when Adam was fighting, and his mother when Adam was adventuring. Adam decided to visit his old flame Viviette in London, going on a hunch. London won't like a former German soldier, but Adam is nothing if not brave. On his way there, Adam received a strange letter...

I edited the app.

Toad Isle
Secretary

Founded: Jul 10, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Toad Isle » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:32 pm

Name:
Michel Carpentier
Nationality:
French
Appearance:
An agile youth, callused and toned. With unremarkable hair, dark, and eyes, brown verging on green. Perhaps his face is a tad pointed.
Personal Effects: Souvenirs from the east, disregarded climbing tools, books of mysticism, etc.
Background:
The son of a prominent British family, illlegitimate and unacknowledged. Raised by his French mother in the Pyrenees. Growing into a fine mountaineer, Michel eventually went east. As Europe burned, he conquered the peaks of Nepal. Starved of oxygen and clad in storms, the expedition ended with waking dreams. Perplexed, Michel looked to his ancestry, and England. There, he found closed doors and hush money. Refinanced, Michel took a tutor in spiritualism, honing his "inner eye". Cynics might say, he was tricked by an opium peddler. Whatever the case, Michel is waiting for a sign.

Bingellia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 27, 2014
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Bingellia » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:28 pm

Voxija wrote:

Character Description
    Appearance:

Background:

Adam Weiss enrolled in university to learn psychology, but quickly became disillusioned with the subject. He decided that traveling the world would help him learn about people better, and he dropped out of college to go traveling. Adam learned English, French, and Italian along with his native German, Yiddish, and Hebrew. Adam went all around Europe, traveling to Britain and France and Italy.

Adam Weiss met Bridget Reeves, before she was called Viviette. They had a whirlwind romance, which sadly ended when Adam felt a pull from his native Germany. He felt like there was going to be a war soon, and Adam had to choose between his love and his country. He chose his country.

Adam Weiss's leg injury eventually healed, but he could never fight again. He moved back to his town, but both of his parents were dead. His father when Adam was fighting, and his mother when Adam was adventuring. Adam decided to visit his old flame Viviette in London, going on a hunch. London won't like a former German soldier, but Adam is nothing if not brave. On his way there, Adam received a strange letter...

I edited the app.

In hindsight, I'm not sure it's possible to work the concept with Viviette in general. Apologies. I just don't think her and long-term relationships would be a thing regardless of whether or not she's 18 and in Britain or having just started the true beginning of here career in France.
You can call me Bing for short.
When in Rome, write a Roman.
Puns are the highest form of humor.
Best NS Bureaucrat 2020

Miekzhemy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Miekzhemy » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:30 am

Character Description
    Name: Ismail Rasimoğlu
    Nationality: Turkish
    Appearance: A young man of 5'6. He is surprisingly well-kept, often keeping his hair short and face clean shaven. His hands are calloused, and always seems to have dirt beneath his fingernails.

Personal Effects: A few sets of clothes, some photos of family members and old classmates, a small portable prayer rug and Quran, and a dagger

Background:
    What is your job: Former Ottoman soldier; currently employed as a woodworker at a workshop in London
    Backstory:

Ismail son of Rasim was a poor child of a poor family in a poor village in southern Turkey. Throughout the boy's childhood, the simple but wise words of advice from the educated carpenter that was his father always rang in his mind: Follow your calling. No matter how grand, no matter how humble, soar as free as a bird in the grace of the Almighty...

His growing ambition took him to a school in Kayseri, where he enrolled in 1912 at the age of sixteen. Although he showed an aptitude for mathematics and attention to detail, Ismail eventually found a calling in woodworking, initially a hobby he partook with his father. He also showed a minor interest in reading and languages, choosing to study English in his spare time. He prayed the friendships he made here would last a lifetime. These times of peace would not last long, as come November of 1914, dire news fell upon them: Turkey was going to war.

He and his classmates, however, were not devastated. They were overjoyed. Tales of adventure and glory swept over the school, prompting many to drop out in favor of enlisting or transferring to military academies. Ismail himself waited, initially deciding to bide his time until graduation. After all, this little match of fisticuffs would be over before the end of the year. Months would pass, until an announcement shook each and every student to their very core. 'The British have landed in Gallipoli,' they told them. 'The capital is in danger.'

As more men signed up in droves, the young carpenter saw a chance - a chance to make a name for himself, a chance to fight in the defense of his home. In less than a week, the halls of the school ran quiet, as all of its pupils had gone to war. Ismail and his classmates were filed into the mustering army corps, hastily sent through training, and shipped to the trenches of Gallipoli. A fire roared in the heart of every young man in his unit. They cheered and shouted, daring the Brits to answer the call to battle.

Then, in a chorus of screeching banshees, the sky rained fire.

Later reports of Ismail date several months later in an Ottoman field hospital several miles from the capital. A young man, spattered in muck and grime, is deemed fit for active duty again. Though there were no dangerous physical injuries inflicted upon the man, the doctors assure him that the travel time will calm his nerves, and Ismail is carted off to Sinai.

Not a single classmate from his school survived Gallipoli. In mere days, the spirited young man was turned into little more than a shell of his former self. His hands quivered, his ears rang, and his eyes remained fixed in a listless stare into nothingness. Nightmares robbed him of sleep, and visions plagued him in the day. But both are of the same nature: horrifying and indescribable creatures, appearing as featureless silhouettes of humans but twisting as though no man moves, all the while the shrieks of banshees screaming in his ears. The nurses assure him that it is merely a symptom of his shell shock.

Following the disastrous battles of Suez, the collapse of the southern front, and the Arab rebellions, Ismail is eventually transferred to Syria. In the early months of 1918 he finally finds himself a prisoner of the British, his squad having been ambushed and forced to surrender, before being sent to one of the several POW camps in Egypt. There, he fines what little solace he can taking rudimentary English lessons. The doctors issue simple medications in an attempt to ease his mind, but finds little success. These medications are eventually taken away, as supplies are spared for a growing outbreak of disease that only seemed to grow worse by the day. And while some nights and days grant him peace, others wrack the young man with the same visions again and again...

Ismail heard little news of the war until it promptly ended in an armistice. And just as quickly, he was released, allowed to return to Turkey. But as he went home, he quickly found there was little to return to. The school he attended, once teeming with life, was now desolate, as all the pupils had gone to war. Even upon returning to his home village, he found only death, as the devastating disease only continued to claim the lives of men, women, and children around the world. His father was nowhere to be found.

Finding it one of the closest of the more stable countries in Europe, he immigrated to Britain only a month later. But as even the British doctors pass off his conditions as yet another case of shell shock, the young carpenter can't help but think there is more to the picture. Eventually, as he lays down to rest in his run-down tenement after a long day of work, a letter is slipped under his door.
Last edited by Miekzhemy on Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

Scurvy Sea
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Scurvy Sea » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:37 pm

Character Description
    Name: Gordon Graham
    Nationality: American
    Appearance:

Personal Effects: Colt 3rd Model Derringer, Checkbook, Couple ounces of cocaine.

Background:
    What is your job: Con Artist
    Backstory: I came into the world in 1887, born in Brooklyn, New York. It was a good start for me until my mother passed when I was still real young. Ended up in the care of my uncle then. Good man, but he had his vices. Raised me as well as he could until around twelve or so. He figured I was old enough to start picking up the slack around the house then and I learned just what he did for a living. See, every now and then he'd purchase a train ticket for me and him, right around when he'd have this big mountain man beard grown in. We'd ride out of the city about as far as the line would take us down south. From there me and him walked mile after mile until we came upon these little towns right in the middle of nowhere. Full of ho-dunks and farm types that lived and died in those shacks. Every time we did this, we hiked around and then we'd sit around a campfire for a couple days and he'd sit there right across that campfire from me chowing down on roast chicken and duck. I of course, didn't get a nibble of that. I got some water here and there and if I whined I got a kick in the ass for it. But that wasn't no abuse, that was a tactic see.

Out of the blue one morning we'd pack up camp and head over to some big farm house, always was one. And he'd knock on the door, explain how he owns this bit of inherited land a good ways out of town. Blah, blah, he can't afford to feed his boy no more, and he's got to sell it quick and dirt cheap to go look for work somewhere. When they saw the land and how unreasonably cheap he was pawning it for, these farmers would be mad to not jump on it. It was like the second he opened his mouth, he had these hillbillies in his pocket. When they started gettin' cold feet, we'd walk away and they'd come chasing after. It was a clockwork process, farmer ran it by his missus over lunch, and I got to wolf down a hot meal while my uncle pulled out a deed from his back pocket. Crumpled, faded, but as official lookin' as any paper the court would hand out. By the time the sun was goin' down, we were always on our way out of town with hundreds of dollars. By the time those sorry people ever figured out what had happened, we were back in New York and my uncle's face was shaved. Wasn't our problem anymore.

Right when I was in my teens, he started lettin' me help out more. Showed me how to make those papers of his, how to talk to people and present myself. Introduced me proper to other folk just like him, by the time I was a young man, I was going down to Tennessee on my own running those scams, I was selling cars to people that didn't run, even ran some farmer the last of his money when I told him I was from the bank. It was good work. Not moral work, but moral work never paid like this.

Everyone's luck runs out eventually though, me and my uncle's fell around the same time. We'd been running that land scam for years, when my uncle was out on the road he got recognized. Some crazy old timer we'd ripped recognized him when he was driving past and put a few rounds through him. Wasn't too long at all after that when I heard the newly established FBI had someone looking into us. It was only a matter of time at that point, so- I ran. Didn't even bother selling the house, just grabbed whatever money I could stuff into a couple bags and got aboard a ship. Got myself across the Atlantic right into London.

The few European guys my uncle knew that were still alive managed to get me on my feet. Honor among thieves you might call it, but to me they were just making an investment. In about two years, I was established. Made some contacts of my own and was calling myself a bonafide Londoner. Despite as comfortable as I was, I didn't want to risk drawing attention with that fiasco back in the states, so I was working out of this rat den apartment. Wasn't comfortable by any stretch of the imagination, but I was underground and still making money. I worked as a fence, ran my small times bits but it was nothing compared to what I was doin' when the war broke out.

I had gotten into MI1. I was a codebreaker, had my experience with secret messages and whatnot so this wasn't too hard to take on and Inland Revenue wouldn't be lookin' at me too close. I was working for their government at that point, I was the last person they'd ever expect to be doing the sorts of things I did. Sure, they paid me pretty well, but cover like that was too fantastic of an opportunity to pass on. When I wasn't spending my days going over transmission transcripts, I was making contacts outside of the UK through my work, and selling cocaine import to the soldiers coming back from the front. Dabbled in it myself and my state of mind wasn't all there which must be why I did what I did. My golden goose was an oriental named Shen Put over in China. They were having all sorts of trouble, county diced up and fought over by warlords. Just so happened that my newest friend Shen worked under these warlords in some advisory court, Shen wanted a promotion and started looking into cryptography himself. Problem was, he didn't know a whole lot about it. I'm right there in the hotbed of all this progress in the field, so- I committed treason. Sent along some letters when the coast was clear, and in exchange, I got gossip.

When I started writing letters to this general claiming I was the supplier of his beloved, yet estranged son's terrible opium habit and I was told he'd be giving me payment, he fell in like a domino. I was getting monthly payments from this Chinese bigwig and all I had to do was sit there. Good gig suckering that Chinaman for almost a year, but then the war ended. Nothing happened to the general's son or the man himself- what did happen was I started getting told to stay home. When I wasn't allowed back into work for a week straight, it clicked. My luck went dry again, military intelligence caught onto what I was doing. No matter how good I was at that codebreaking, that wasn't about to save me from getting thrown in a cell or worse. Somebody spilled, or they intercepted a letter. Maybe it was just nothing and I was paranoid. Whatever that truth was, I wasn't about to sit on my thumbs until I was arrested.

That same night, I packed everything I could carry and got myself a train ticket to somewhere nice and cozy in the Alps. I was on my way out when I saw this little envelope that had been slid right under the door.
Last edited by Scurvy Sea on Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Bingellia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 27, 2014
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Bingellia » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:00 pm

Miekzhemy wrote:
Character Description
    Name: Ismail Rasimoğlu
    Nationality: Turkish
    Appearance: A young man of 5'6. He is surprisingly well-kept, often keeping his hair short and face clean shaven. His hands are calloused, and always seems to have dirt beneath his fingernails.

Personal Effects: A few sets of clothes, some photos of family members and old classmates, a small portable prayer rug and Quran, and a dagger

Background:
    What is your job: Former Ottoman soldier; currently employed as a woodworker at a workshop in London
    Backstory:-snip-

Accepted

Scurvy Sea wrote:
Character Description
    Name: Gordon Graham
    Nationality: American
    Appearance:
Personal Effects: Colt 3rd Model Derringer, Checkbook, Couple ounces of cocaine.

Background:
    What is your job: Con Artist
    Backstory: -snip-

Accepted
You can call me Bing for short.
When in Rome, write a Roman.
Puns are the highest form of humor.
Best NS Bureaucrat 2020

Toad Isle
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Toad Isle » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:52 am

Did I make the cut? You've got a-lot of people already, so maybe I should bow out? Too many cooks, and so on.

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:35 pm

Toad Isle wrote:Did I make the cut? You've got a-lot of people already, so maybe I should bow out? Too many cooks, and so on.

I think your app needs a bit of development, though I'm not in any way saying to bow out! There's an element of natural attrition you get in these threads and what looks like a lot of people now won't in a few weeks.

There isn't anything wrong with the app in concept, though at the moment it feels like a skeleton of an app and I'd like to see if fleshed out a bit.

For instance, you could look at answering some of these questions; why did he dodge the war and go moutaineering? Was he part of some other explorer's expedition or leading one? What were the waking dreams? Where abouts was his family in London? Can you say something more about the encounter? Would he go back? Why did he decide to try to explore his 'inner eye'? Has he had any results?

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:42 pm

If anyone else needs to intro a character, assume they were at the meeting, heard everything but just did not say anything. I'm planning to skip us out of this intro scene relatively soon.

Toad Isle
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Toad Isle » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:46 pm

Dyelli Beybi wrote:
Toad Isle wrote:Did I make the cut? You've got a-lot of people already, so maybe I should bow out? Too many cooks, and so on.

I think your app needs a bit of development, though I'm not in any way saying to bow out! There's an element of natural attrition you get in these threads and what looks like a lot of people now won't in a few weeks.

There isn't anything wrong with the app in concept, though at the moment it feels like a skeleton of an app and I'd like to see if fleshed out a bit.

For instance, you could look at answering some of these questions; why did he dodge the war and go moutaineering? Was he part of some other explorer's expedition or leading one? What were the waking dreams? Where abouts was his family in London? Can you say something more about the encounter? Would he go back? Why did he decide to try to explore his 'inner eye'? Has he had any results?

No worries. I think this roleplay is too high level for me. Thanks for the advice, and good luck.

Arengin Union
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 23, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Arengin Union » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:09 am

Gonna throw my hat into the ring for a jolly good show I hope.
"I do as I please"
-King Abraham Markev final words before jumping into a cage to fight a lion.

Proud member of the Federation of Allies

Illegal Planets
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Illegal Planets » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:13 am

New post up on the IC, be sure to check it out.

Edit: redacted. Just taking the piss with you all. Best of luck to you.
Last edited by Illegal Planets on Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDE never dies

”My rock and roll is not to entertain, but to annihilate"

Lessoni
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Lessoni » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:14 am

Illegal Planets wrote:New post up on the IC, be sure to check it out.

Edit: redacted. Just taking the piss with you all. Best of luck to you.

Godspeed you magnificent bastard
Last edited by Lessoni on Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pebis

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse