NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations [OOC | Open]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:15 pm

Kingdom of Tunisia wrote:What do you think about this flag?

Shiny. Though, sourcing the blue dye could be an issue.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:19 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Kingdom of Tunisia wrote:How was my post?

I enjoyed it, but it could use more flesh on its bones. As I read it, a lot of the time I wished there were more details.

How does your character feel about waking up in a radically different world? Wielding a weapon for (what I assume is) the first time? What does he see? What type of people are attacking the village? Where is the village located? What are the villagers like? Why did he take their side instead of the invaders?

All that good stuff would add to the narrative.

Edit: Also, there were some points that should be edited for realism.

1) Scimitars, that is, metal weapons, won't exist in SE Asia for a thousand years, if not more. So, these invaders shouldn't really be using any.

2) Thousands of invaders would be an absolutely massive force for this time period, unrealistically so. There are only a few million people in all of Asia, so even assuming the entire invasion force was destroyed, which is itself unrealistic, that's simply too many combatants.

3) Ships capable of crossing between islands are small, hard to build, and rare. You wouldn't see an entire naval invasion force, no way no how.

4) If your character hadn't used a sword before, how would they defeat an enemy leader in combat, not to mention just avoid being killed in battle?

That should be about it for realism. Beyond that, there are also some things that just don't jive with the RP.

1) That sword that your character has will have to be retconned. All characters return to the past wearing nothing, holding nothing, and certainly not holding a special mystical sword far too advanced for its era.

2) There is actually a rule in the OP about native people simply declaring your character a god/their leader for no apparent reason. Ancient people are ignorant and uneducated, not stupid. They won't just declare you their chief and the son of a god because they don't know you, especially if your Author has to contemplate the trickery for several minutes before lying to them.

Just quoting this up so you see the feedback, Tunisia. Sorry that there is so much of it, but I want to make sure RP expectations are clear from the get-go so no bad habits get entrenched or grandfathered.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:26 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:I figure all of them will be cool. Can I post the stories at once, but question what happens on the way back?

Whichever you prefer- the voyage should take anywhere from five to seven months, round trip, so if you do 5-7 total posts you'll have one for every month, and that should give some good time for interesting encounters and interactions with those wacky locals.

The Orson Empire wrote:Seeing as Turner was a Christian in the modern world, I think he will be fascinated about the Hegemon's interpretation of Christianity, once he finds out about it.

It would also confirm that the Hegemon was from the future like Turner.

The name of the religion is kinda a tell about that, yes :P

Thx, I'll consider my options
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:27 pm

Ulls wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:This is the problem. Turner believes in religious tolerance, and that different religions should be allowed to peacefully co-exist together. Jeb seems to believe the opposite, which I believe may be a wedge that drives the two apart over time.

Furthermore, Turner understands the dangers of using religion like a political tool. Religious fanaticism should never be taken lightly, and even Jeb himself could succumb to it.

Yeah but once Turner meets the Imperium, then he would understand that why Jeb is trying to use religion as a tool. Though I can see Turner slowly separating Jeb from the idea as he tries to transition the religion into a monotheistic one.

The Orson Empire wrote:Seeing as Turner was a Christian in the modern world, I think he will be fascinated about the Hegemon's interpretation of Christianity, once he finds out about it.

It would also confirm that the Hegemon was from the future like Turner.

Please don't go to the Imperium or at least do it discreetly because he will execute you for being from the future.

Well I imagine that the Hegemon is doing the same thing with Christianity in his nation.

And the Imperium doesn't know that.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:31 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:I'm fine with doing it myself, but I tend to prefer the dramatic and personal relations, and that's typically late story, so I have a hard time plotting a story plot where stuff is being introduced. Any story plots you suggest?

Difficulty securing supplies in Cyprus due to a lack of civilized peoples to trade with? Storms off of Lebanon that batter the fleet and force them to shelter for weeks in some harbor there? Contact with unexpectedly coordinated Egyptians goes wrong and leads to a military confrontation?

Btw thought it was just an expedition. I assume the Egyptians get the wrong idea and "defend themselves". Since I'm not familiar with Grims civ can you give me weapon knowledge and other things about them.
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:32 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Ulls wrote:Yeah but once Turner meets the Imperium, then he would understand that why Jeb is trying to use religion as a tool. Though I can see Turner slowly separating Jeb from the idea as he tries to transition the religion into a monotheistic one.

Please don't go to the Imperium or at least do it discreetly because he will execute you for being from the future.

Well I imagine that the Hegemon is doing the same thing with Christianity in his nation.

And the Imperium doesn't know that.

Eh, not really. Christianity in the Imperium started as a personal thing in Viktor's home town, and just kinda did it's own thing with the whole personal loving God beating the stuffing out of dancing around stumps to beseech the spirit of that particular tree.

Though it hasn't hurt that people (and Viktor himself) think that Viktor must have been sent back to the past/to their present in order to offer salvation both spiritually and materially. The prosperity of the Imperium compared to literally cave-houses and sharp sticks is a pretty poignant juxtaposition of what you can get done with a bit of divine blessing. As far as most Imperial citizens are concerned, the Christian God is active in a major way as compared to the silent gods of wood and stone they used to worship.

So it is kinda a political thing? But Viktor didn't make it that way.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:34 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Difficulty securing supplies in Cyprus due to a lack of civilized peoples to trade with? Storms off of Lebanon that batter the fleet and force them to shelter for weeks in some harbor there? Contact with unexpectedly coordinated Egyptians goes wrong and leads to a military confrontation?

Btw thought it was just an expedition. I assume the Egyptians get the wrong idea and "defend themselves". Since I'm not familiar with Grims civ can you give me weapon knowledge and other things about them.

I don't believe he actually ever got around to anything other than card games and teaching them some math.

So, spears and bows and arrows, basically.

You thought it was just an expedition?

Ulls
Minister

Founded: Jan 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ulls » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:38 pm

Thinking of naming my religion Lunacretion. It would also become known as Moon Worship and Lunarism to others.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:40 pm

Ulls wrote:Thinking of naming my religion Lunacretion. It would also become known as Moon Worship and Lunarism to others.

Hmm.

This will force me to move up the timetable on space exploration.

We'll put a man on the moon and prove your god is a load of bunk!

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:41 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:Btw thought it was just an expedition. I assume the Egyptians get the wrong idea and "defend themselves". Since I'm not familiar with Grims civ can you give me weapon knowledge and other things about them.

I don't believe he actually ever got around to anything other than card games and teaching them some math.

You know meet people, see things, establish trade, spread Imperium culture, and show the true faith.

Ulls wrote:Thinking of naming my religion Lunacretion. It would also become known as Moon Worship and Lunarism to others.

Eh, you should call your followers, lunatics

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:43 pm

Hmm.

Checkmate theists!

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:43 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:

You know meet people, see things, establish trade, spread Imperium culture, and show the true faith.

Ah, yes. You've got that right. But that's what is planned- the journey is what happens along the way.

Ulls
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ulls » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:43 pm

Hmm.

It won't be a physical moon, more like a spiritual moon and the physical moon are mirrors that one can see the Everworlds/space. The Night Owl will be the make up of the constellations/galaxies/universe and flies throughout creation to bring the spark of life to all corners until the heat of the spark goes out.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:44 pm

Ulls wrote:
Hmm.

It won't be a physical moon, more like a spiritual moon and the physical moon are mirrors that one can see the Everworlds/space. The Night Owl will be the make up of the constellations/galaxies/universe and flies throughout creation to bring the spark of life to all corners until the heat of the spark goes out.

That isn't nearly as fun as the Imperium one day leaving footprints on your deity.

The Olog-Hai
Negotiator

Founded: May 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Olog-Hai » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:46 pm

I need to catch up on posting again, don't I...
It appears I'm an INTP-T. You're not gonna get much more about me.
Wenglesy wrote:Might as well submit now to the obviously superior forces of Legyon fun Genital.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:48 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:You know meet people, see things, establish trade, spread Imperium culture, and show the true faith.

Ah, yes. You've got that right. But that's what is planned- the journey is what happens along the way.

Ofcourse, it's just the whole Egyptian v Imperium seemed like an invasion from how it's sounded like they planned to invade cause they expected them to be weaker. I thought when you put in the fact that they were expected to be less developed that they ended up having a struggle.
Ulls wrote:It won't be a physical moon, more like a spiritual moon and the physical moon are mirrors that one can see the Everworlds/space. The Night Owl will be the make up of the constellations/galaxies/universe and flies throughout creation to bring the spark of life to all corners until the heat of the spark goes out.

That isn't nearly as fun as the Imperium one day leaving footprints on your deity.

Could cause some interesting Holy wars
Last edited by Holy Tedalonia on Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ulls
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ulls » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:49 pm

Ulls wrote:It won't be a physical moon, more like a spiritual moon and the physical moon are mirrors that one can see the Everworlds/space. The Night Owl will be the make up of the constellations/galaxies/universe and flies throughout creation to bring the spark of life to all corners until the heat of the spark goes out.

Ehh, just wanted to have a cosmic owl and the moons of the universe being mirrors into an alternate dimension. Plus it keeps things like someone developing space travel and putting a flag on my god and disapproving everything.

The Olog-Hai wrote:I need to catch up on posting again, don't I...

The expedition will be setting up and moving out in the next post, along with me amassing a force to go put some slaves in their place.

Kingdom of Tunisia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kingdom of Tunisia » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:55 pm

I enjoyed it, but it could use more flesh on its bones. As I read it, a lot of the time I wished there were more details.

How does your character feel about waking up in a radically different world? Wielding a weapon for (what I assume is) the first time? What does he see? What type of people are attacking the village? Where is the village located? What are the villagers like? Why did he take their side instead of the invaders?

All that good stuff would add to the narrative.

Edit: Also, there were some points that should be edited for realism.

1) Scimitars, that is, metal weapons, won't exist in SE Asia for a thousand years, if not more. So, these invaders shouldn't really be using any.

2) Thousands of invaders would be an absolutely massive force for this time period, unrealistically so. There are only a few million people in all of Asia, so even assuming the entire invasion force was destroyed, which is itself unrealistic, that's simply too many combatants.

3) Ships capable of crossing between islands are small, hard to build, and rare. You wouldn't see an entire naval invasion force, no way no how.

4) If your character hadn't used a sword before, how would they defeat an enemy leader in combat, not to mention just avoid being killed in battle?

That should be about it for realism. Beyond that, there are also some things that just don't jive with the RP.

1) That sword that your character has will have to be retconned. All characters return to the past wearing nothing, holding nothing, and certainly not holding a special mystical sword far too advanced for its era.

2) There is actually a rule in the OP about native people simply declaring your character a god/their leader for no apparent reason. Ancient people are ignorant and uneducated, not stupid. They won't just declare you their chief and the son of a god because they don't know you, especially if your Author has to contemplate the trickery for several minutes before lying to them.

Just quoting this up so you see the feedback, Tunisia. Sorry that there is so much of it, but I want to make sure RP expectations are clear from the get-go so no bad habits get entrenched or grandfathered.

Oh yeah, I apologize for that one. Let just say that the Tribal Leader crowned him because of his long job as a Chief or appointed him as a Vassal.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:57 pm

Hey G can you give a travel timetable for the trip? Something so I can refer to so it's easy to place dates.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:Hey G can you give a travel timetable for the trip? Something so I can refer to so it's easy to place dates.

Sure, I can do that. I'll go look up distances by sea after some slumber.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:12 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:Hey G can you give a travel timetable for the trip? Something so I can refer to so it's easy to place dates.

Sure, I can do that. I'll go look up distances by sea after some slumber.

Thx really appreciate that.

also what'd you suggest for Cypress trade problems I'm thinking they don't want to trade cuz their rival tribe moved into their huntin ground and can replenish their food supply. Thus they want the expedition to chase them out or kill them all. They can collect any food and the villiages will cover the rest.
Last edited by Holy Tedalonia on Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:15 pm

Alright, so I've decided to have Turner use the situation for his advantage, while keeping his Christian religious beliefs a tightly guarded secret for now.

Deramen
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Deramen » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:06 pm

Hey I was wondering right, could I change my spawn point to Where Olog-Hai is? I think I have some plans and stuff I wanna do with him.
You can call me Dera.
INFP-T.

[violet] wrote:
Scoochi2 wrote:I'm now being offered Filipino girlfriends...

You say that like it's a bad thing.

The Olog-Hai
Negotiator

Founded: May 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Olog-Hai » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:06 pm

Deramen wrote:Hey I was wondering right, could I change my spawn point to Where Olog-Hai is? I think I have some plans and stuff I wanna do with him.

I'm fine with this if you're fine with this, G-tech
It appears I'm an INTP-T. You're not gonna get much more about me.
Wenglesy wrote:Might as well submit now to the obviously superior forces of Legyon fun Genital.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:03 am

The Olog-Hai wrote:
Deramen wrote:Hey I was wondering right, could I change my spawn point to Where Olog-Hai is? I think I have some plans and stuff I wanna do with him.

I'm fine with this if you're fine with this, G-tech

*waves wand*

So may it be.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse