NATION

PASSWORD

Blood, Money, and Oil [Mercenary - OOC - MT]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:14 pm

Alouite wrote:
Arcerion wrote:
As are oil-sponsored mercenaries being able to overthrow a legitimate government without UN or international uproar. We all try to moderate our realism here.

I realize this but two unrealistic actions don't right one. I am with you in your point that the UN would react and completely understand why you stopped international reaction: to keep the rp going. However, the Equatorial Guienese have tanks, so mercs would have little chance without the power to counter their vehicular compilation of vehicles.

They have 3 T-55s. We all have either self-built attack helicopters, RPGs or self-built AC-130 knockoffs.
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Alouite » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:19 pm

Arcerion wrote:
Lunas Legion wrote:
Although there is the question of why you'd need tanks. They aren't much good in urban environments or jungles, and most of Equ Guinea is either of those.

Also maintenance on a tank versus an IMV, and then usefulness. An IMV can carry troops, equipment, and have good firepower. Easy on maintenance and fuel as well. Sure, it isn't heavily armoured. But speed and manoeuvrability can solve those.

Until you reach the larger more strategically valuable points such as large cities which will have heavy anti-infantry equipment as well as a good deal of armoured units themselves. I know tanks generally suck in jungles when moving, but in a city they are mobile fortresses ready to stop and become a temporary piece of artillery when needed.

As for their tanks they have 20 of these too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMP-1 (Here is their equiptment article that indicates their count of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_Equatorial_Guinea#Vehicles)
Last edited by Alouite on Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
National Liberalism, National School Economics, National Dividend, Constitutional Originalism, Protection of US Domestic Trade, The Chinese Gov't in Exile in Taipei, and Ending the War on Nouns
Hyman Minsky
Totalitarianism, the Destruction of the Environment, Racism, and, most of all, people who end statements in questions?
The Patriot Act, The Illegitimate Communist Authorities in China, Economic Libertarianism, Absolutism and Communism

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:22 pm

Alouite wrote:
Arcerion wrote:
Also maintenance on a tank versus an IMV, and then usefulness. An IMV can carry troops, equipment, and have good firepower. Easy on maintenance and fuel as well. Sure, it isn't heavily armoured. But speed and manoeuvrability can solve those.

Until you reach the larger more strategically valuable points such as large cities which will have heavy anti-infantry equipment as well as a good deal of armoured units themselves. I know tanks generally suck in jungles when moving, but in a city they are mobile fortresses ready to stop and become a temporary piece of artillery when needed.

As for their tanks they have 20 of these too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMP-1 (Here is their equiptment article that indicates their count of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_Equatorial_Guinea#Vehicles)

BMPs are IFVs, not tanks. They're also rather vulnerable to RPGs/AT mines, which we all have plenty of.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Arcerion
Senator

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Arcerion » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:23 pm

Also reported that none of their vehicles are actually in working order.
The Republic of Lanos wrote:I went to a fight once but then a hockey game broke out.

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Alouite » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:24 pm

Lunas Legion wrote:
Alouite wrote:Until you reach the larger more strategically valuable points such as large cities which will have heavy anti-infantry equipment as well as a good deal of armoured units themselves. I know tanks generally suck in jungles when moving, but in a city they are mobile fortresses ready to stop and become a temporary piece of artillery when needed.

BMPs are IFVs, not tanks. They're also rather vulnerable to RPGs/AT mines, which we all have plenty of.

Yes but 3 was quite the understatement, and at least a few of those crews has the experience to wreak some havoc against a relatively untrained group of mercs. Especially when defending their home country.
National Liberalism, National School Economics, National Dividend, Constitutional Originalism, Protection of US Domestic Trade, The Chinese Gov't in Exile in Taipei, and Ending the War on Nouns
Hyman Minsky
Totalitarianism, the Destruction of the Environment, Racism, and, most of all, people who end statements in questions?
The Patriot Act, The Illegitimate Communist Authorities in China, Economic Libertarianism, Absolutism and Communism

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:25 pm

Arcerion wrote:Also reported that none of their vehicles are actually in working order.

Bar those 10 APCs they stole from the Belgians, IIRC.

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Alouite » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:26 pm

Arcerion wrote:Also reported that none of their vehicles are actually in working order.

What are you saying? Im sure you had a good point so rephrase that please.
Hyman Minsky

Arcerion
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Arcerion » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:26 pm

Alouite wrote:
Lunas Legion wrote:

Yes but 3 was quite the understatement, and at least a few of those crews has the experience to wreak some havoc against a relatively untrained group of mercs. Especially when defending their home country.

I don;t know about you, but I hired all ex-military. So far from untrained. Next, BMPs are boxes with tracks designed to move infantry. They are not meant to absorb rockets or mines. It will wreck them.

Also, the Drohnen IAV has HOT-3 HEAT missiles, so tanks aren't a huge issue.
The Republic of Lanos wrote:I went to a fight once but then a hockey game broke out.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:26 pm

Alouite wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Isn't your explanation just "bought DM versions in Morocco, remilitarized"?

Isn't that good enough?

Not really, no.

First, acquiring a substantial amount of DM tanks would take time. They don't just come on to the market in company-sized quantities. Not to mention companies that acquire extensive amounts of equipment tend to be scrutinized, and if you seem like a risk you won't be getting any more after the first few.

Then comes remilitarizing them; getting military grade weapons and armaments. Your best bet is third world nations, but the chance of finding what you need specifically would be very low indeed, given the limited inventories of the corrupt officials that would be selling you your materiel. But, assuming you can find what you need, a stretch in and of itself, you need to find personnel capable of rehabilitating the tanks. There is a lot of engineering that goes in to modern turrets, mainly devoted to ensuring when you fire the weapon it doesn't wrench the top of the tank off the chassis via reaction force. Engineers capable of building that, and knowledgeable of a specific design, would be understandably rare, and generally very happily employed. Do it wrong, or try to improvise, and you have an unusable expensive investment after only a few firings.

So, that. Plus you can bet the UN will scream bloody murder if you try to transport assembled gear, so you'd have to have assembled/remilitarized on-site. And foundries/machine shops to do said work would be rare in the wilderness of the borderlands of Cameroon.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Arcerion
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Arcerion » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:27 pm

Alouite wrote:

What are you saying? Im sure you had a good point so rephrase that please.

The Equatorial Guinean vehicles are reported to be unserviced, badly trained, and not working.

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Alouite » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:30 pm

Arcerion wrote:
Alouite wrote:What are you saying? Im sure you had a good point so rephrase that please.

The Equatorial Guinean vehicles are reported to be unserviced, badly trained, and not working.

Yeah, well then that their problem when someone with such vehicles rolls on in is it not. Look, I will ask for you to really heavily consider what I ask. If you really don't want the tanks I spent so much time on making possible to be mine, then I will find something else to replace them that is lighter. But please consider it again. After all, I put a lot of research into substantiating my claim.
Hyman Minsky

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Alouite » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:36 pm

Alouite wrote:Isn't that good enough?

Not really, no.

First, acquiring a substantial amount of DM tanks would take time. They don't just come on to the market in company-sized quantities. Not to mention companies that acquire extensive amounts of equipment tend to be scrutinized, and if you seem like a risk you won't be getting any more after the first few.

Then comes remilitarizing them; getting military grade weapons and armaments. Your best bet is third world nations, but the chance of finding what you need specifically would be very low indeed, given the limited inventories of the corrupt officials that would be selling you your materiel. But, assuming you can find what you need, a stretch in and of itself, you need to find personnel capable of rehabilitating the tanks. There is a lot of engineering that goes in to modern turrets, mainly devoted to ensuring when you fire the weapon it doesn't wrench the top of the tank off the chassis via reaction force. Engineers capable of building that, and knowledgeable of a specific design, would be understandably rare, and generally very happily employed. Do it wrong, or try to improvise, and you have an unusable expensive investment after only a few firings.

So, that. Plus you can bet the UN will scream bloody murder if you try to transport assembled gear, so you'd have to have assembled/remilitarized on-site. And foundries/machine shops to do said work would be rare in the wilderness of the borderlands of Cameroon.

And my Company has existed since the Algerian Revolution prevailed, I have had the time. And before you say Pattons weren't around back then, they were around since 1960, given that the US wouldn't give it away for quite a while, lets say the eighties were when morocco got some of them. Long enough for one or two to break down and be moved to a warehouse where (based off corruption levels in the nation) I had the ability to buy them without anyone being notified on the international level. (Even though doing that is not illegal, I recognize the controversy it might possibly cause). The 80's were over 30 years ago, enough time for me to take them (even after 2005) and slowly work to move them to cameroon. Due to a lack of spending on other vehicles I would still have the money to transport the two tanks and reassemble them and will take away additional funds to make that more realistic if needed.
Last edited by Alouite on Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyman Minsky

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:37 pm

Alouite wrote:
Not really, no.

And my Company has existed since the Algerian Revolution prevailed, I have had the time. And before you say Pattons weren't around back then, they were around since 1960, given that the US wouldn't give it away for quite a while, lets say the eighties were when morocco got some of them. Long enough for one or two to break down and be moved to a warehouse where (based off corruption levels in the nation) I had the ability to buy them without anyone being notified on the international level. (Even though doing that is not illegal, I recognize the controversy it might possibly cause). The 80's were over 30 years ago, enough time for me to take them (even after 2005) and slowly work to move them to cameroon. Due to a lack of spending on other vehicles I would still have the money to transport the two tanks and reassemble them and will take away additional funds to make that more realistic if needed.

I hoped you realize that where new companies.

And Acr-Want to help me with my company?
Last edited by Zeinbrad on Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind.
The second way is to be kind.
The third way is to be kind.”
― Fred Rogers
Currently looking for an artist for a Star Wars fan comic I want to make.

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Alouite » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:38 pm

Arcerion wrote:
Alouite wrote:Yes but 3 was quite the understatement, and at least a few of those crews has the experience to wreak some havoc against a relatively untrained group of mercs. Especially when defending their home country.

I don;t know about you, but I hired all ex-military. So far from untrained. Next, BMPs are boxes with tracks designed to move infantry. They are not meant to absorb rockets or mines. It will wreck them.

Also, the Drohnen IAV has HOT-3 HEAT missiles, so tanks aren't a huge issue.

Fair Enough. But my point stands.
Hyman Minsky

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:39 pm

Alouite wrote:
Not really, no.

Except for Arc said our PMCs were founded recently. That's a bit of a wrench in your plan. Not to mention still the issue of remilitarization; "more money" isn't an answer.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Alouite » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:44 pm

Alouite wrote:And my Company has existed since the Algerian Revolution prevailed, I have had the time. And before you say Pattons weren't around back then, they were around since 1960, given that the US wouldn't give it away for quite a while, lets say the eighties were when morocco got some of them. Long enough for one or two to break down and be moved to a warehouse where (based off corruption levels in the nation) I had the ability to buy them without anyone being notified on the international level. (Even though doing that is not illegal, I recognize the controversy it might possibly cause). The 80's were over 30 years ago, enough time for me to take them (even after 2005) and slowly work to move them to cameroon. Due to a lack of spending on other vehicles I would still have the money to transport the two tanks and reassemble them and will take away additional funds to make that more realistic if needed.

Except for Arc said our PMCs were founded recently. That's a bit of a wrench in your plan. Not to mention still the issue of remilitarization; "more money" isn't an answer.

Did he define recent? With money comes the ability to get stuff done. You act like every tank engineer man gets a job neglecting a lack of employment in recent times, especially in engineers. Do you mean to say that between the years of 2005-2014 a multi millionaire company couldn't find one decent engineer that could teach them to assemble and disassemble tanks?

EDIT: I did a word search and the word recent isn't even on the first page of the OOC or IC.
Last edited by Alouite on Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyman Minsky

Arcerion
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Arcerion » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:47 pm

Alouite wrote:

Did he define recent? With money comes the ability to get stuff done. You act like every tank engineer man gets a job neglecting a lack of employment in recent times, especially in engineers. Do you mean to say that between the years of 2005-2014 a multi millionaire company couldn't find one decent engineer that could teach them to assemble and disassemble tanks?

EDIT: I did a word search and the word recent isn't even on the first page of the OOC or IC.

From the application.

Company History: (How it was founded, remember, this is the inaugural operation, so you're not some battle-hardened mercenaries yet.)

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Alouite » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:31 am

Arcerion wrote:
Alouite wrote:Did he define recent? With money comes the ability to get stuff done. You act like every tank engineer man gets a job neglecting a lack of employment in recent times, especially in engineers. Do you mean to say that between the years of 2005-2014 a multi millionaire company couldn't find one decent engineer that could teach them to assemble and disassemble tanks?

From the application.

Company History: (How it was founded, remember, this is the inaugural operation, so you're not some battle-hardened mercenaries yet.)

That only says that the actually involvement in war is new, not that the company is.
Hyman Minsky

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:14 am

Alouite wrote:
Arcerion wrote:
From the application.

That only says that the actually involvement in war is new, not that the company is.

So a private military company operates in the red for forty odd years before finally getting a job now?

That stretches credulity. Regardless, though, it's really not that difficult Alouite; Arc, as OP, would like you not to have tanks. Whether or not that is terribly realistic is a point we can debate back and forth, but it is, all in all, his decision.

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:18 am

Alouite wrote:That only says that the actually involvement in war is new, not that the company is.

So a private military company operates in the red for forty odd years before finally getting a job now?

That stretches credulity. Regardless, though, it's really not that difficult Alouite; Arc, as OP, would like you not to have tanks. Whether or not that is terribly realistic is a point we can debate back and forth, but it is, all in all, his decision.

Orcus was founded in 1991. Granted, they were disbanded for 20+ years afterwards, but they can still claim to be the oldest.

Imperial City-States
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial City-States » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:48 am

I agree with no tanks. I was stretching it with BTR-60's. go ahead and bring tanks i have a few things that would laugh in your face before turning you into scrape metal
http://www.broomdces.com/nseconomy/nations.php?nation=Imperial+City-States
"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion, but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
"Stand in the ashes of a million dead souls and ask the ghost if honor matters."
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
"No advance in wealth, no softening of manners, no reform or revolution has ever brought human equality a millimeter nearer."
George Orwell

Unapologetically American
U.S Army

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:29 am

Imperial City-States wrote:I agree with no tanks. I was stretching it with BTR-60's. go ahead and bring tanks i have a few things that would laugh in your face before turning you into scrape metal

I have my improved knock-off AC-130. It's now on a smaller and cheaper plane chassis (An-74) so I can replace the rocket pods more times because they're expensive.

Imperial City-States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial City-States » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:07 am

So when can we expect a post ?

rockets aren't super effective against tanks.
"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion, but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
"Stand in the ashes of a million dead souls and ask the ghost if honor matters."
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
"No advance in wealth, no softening of manners, no reform or revolution has ever brought human equality a millimeter nearer."
George Orwell

U.S Army

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:09 am

Imperial City-States wrote:So when can we expect a post ?

Depends on the rocket and the tank.

Imperial City-States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial City-States » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:10 am

Lunas Legion wrote:
Imperial City-States wrote:So when can we expect a post ?

Depends on the rocket and the tank.

I guess that's true but even 122mm Rockets aren't super effective against medium armor. Although you could make a makeshift shaped charge with a copper cone.
George Orwell
George Orwell

U.S Army

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse