NATION

PASSWORD

Issues Contest: Was It Something We Eight?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Issues Contest: Was It Something We Eight?

Postby Verdant Haven » Tue May 30, 2023 2:43 pm

We're back, and punnier than ever! Throughout the month of June, we will be accepting your submissions for our eighth Roughly-Annual Issues Contest, offering you the opportunity to see your name in a News post, and your issue given expedited entry into the game, guaranteed!

How Do I Enter?
Enter your single issue submission via the usual method between 1 June 2023 and 30 June 2023, inclusive. Please ensure you tick the box marked "Issue Contest Submission".

Please take your time, as you only get one submission (that's per player, not per nation), and make sure you're truly happy with it. You've got all month!

Can Anyone Enter?
Pretty much! Anybody who meets the minimum population requirement for issue submission may join in. Whether you're an old hand with dozens of issues under your belt or have never written an issue before, all are welcome to participate! In the last couple years we've seen a healthy mix of veteran authors and first-timers who achieve success. This is a great chance for an aspiring author to get noticed for the first time!

What Are You Looking For?
We are broadly looking for any issue that a real-life world leader might face, presented in an entertaining fashion suitable to the game. Please enter a submission that you have not already sent to us before. There are no required themes, and while puns related to the number eight might be fun, they will not give better or worse results than any other topic.

You can find ideas on how to do this in our guide to How to Write Issues for NationStates. We advise you to check the Spoiler List to see if your topic has been covered before, and to drop into the Writers' Block for a chat with more experienced authors.

Got Issues? is an excellent resource and we recommend you use it, and draft there, to boost your chances. Issues drafted there are historically vastly more successful, and there's no need to worry about being plagiarized – we are very vigilant.

What Are You Not Looking For?
We are not looking for additional submissions about pandemics or wars/invasions at this time.

If your topic has already been covered by an extant issue, try to find a new angle, an uncovered niche, or other approach to get at it – we can't accept repetition. If you're stuck, ask for advice in the Writer's Block!

You have just one entry: use it well.

What Could I Win?
Our winners will be featured in a follow-up News post, so you can bask in the glory that is internet fame. These finalists are also guaranteed that their submissions will be added to the game. When an issue is published into the game, the author receives an Issues Author badge for their nation's homepage.

As with other contests, we will also use this contest to look out for potential future editors.

What Does That Mean?
In the course of the contest, the Issues Team may spot one or more players with the potential to be (either at present or at some time in the future) an Issues Editor. Good work and a helpful attitude are always positive traits.

Everything depends on the entries we receive.

When Will Results Be Announced?
We'll try to announce the results some time in July, but if the competition is especially fierce, it may take a little extra time. Keep your eyes peeled.

What Happens If I Don't Win?
If you don't win, don't be discouraged - we are always looking for well-written issues. Quality submissions that don't become finalists can still go into the pool for regular editing, and may be added to the game at a later date.

Good Luck and Happy Issuing!

Edit: Added bold to the line about not resubmitting previous things, because people keep asking about it.
Last edited by Verdant Haven on Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Electrum » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:02 am

As my own personal addendum, the official unofficial GI discord server is here: https://discord.com/invite/MqzCPkw
Last edited by Electrum on Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jun 23, 2022
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The Ice States » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:32 am

Looking forward to this!
Factbooks · 46x World Assembly Author · Festering Snakepit Wiki · WACampaign · GA Stat Effects Data

Posts in the WA forums are Ooc and unofficial, absent indication otherwise.
Please check out my roleplay thread The Battle of Glass Tears!
WA 101 Guides to GA authorship, campaigning, and more.

Name 0
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 18, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Name 0 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:36 am

Who wants to help me?

CANDESIA
Attaché

Founded: Apr 04, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby CANDESIA » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:39 am

Q. Can we submit an issue that was posted in the forum, I mean here in the Got Issues? forum?
--- From The Telegrammer, approved by Tomkins MacJohan, Governor Of Candesia.
Contact The North Pacific, if the telegrammer of Candesia cannot answer about The North Pacific.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:41 am

Candesia wrote:Q. Can we submit an issue that was posted in the forum, I mean here in the Got Issues? forum?

Yes. Almost all successful issues, both during and outside of contest time, are forum-drafted.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Shudana
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 31, 2021
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Shudana » Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:48 am

Verdant Haven wrote:We're back, and punnier than ever! Throughout the month of June, we will be accepting your submissions for our eighth Roughly-Annual Issues Contest, offering you the opportunity to see your name in a News post, and your issue given expedited entry into the game, guaranteed!

How Do I Enter?
Enter your single issue submission via the usual method between 1 June 2023 and 30 June 2023, inclusive. Please ensure you tick the box marked "Issue Contest Submission".

Please take your time, as you only get one submission (that's per player, not per nation), and make sure you're truly happy with it. You've got all month!

Can Anyone Enter?
Pretty much! Anybody who meets the minimum population requirement for issue submission may join in. Whether you're an old hand with dozens of issues under your belt or have never written an issue before, all are welcome to participate! In the last couple years we've seen a healthy mix of veteran authors and first-timers who achieve success. This is a great chance for an aspiring author to get noticed for the first time!

What Are You Looking For?
We are broadly looking for any issue that a real-life world leader might face, presented in an entertaining fashion suitable to the game. Please enter a submission that you have not already sent to us before. There are no required themes, and while puns related to the number eight might be fun, they will not give better or worse results than any other topic.

You can find ideas on how to do this in our guide to How to Write Issues for NationStates. We advise you to check the Spoiler List to see if your topic has been covered before, and to drop into the Writers' Block for a chat with more experienced authors.

Got Issues? is an excellent resource and we recommend you use it, and draft there, to boost your chances. Issues drafted there are historically vastly more successful, and there's no need to worry about being plagiarized – we are very vigilant.

What Are You Not Looking For?
We are not looking for additional submissions about pandemics or wars/invasions at this time.

If your topic has already been covered by an extant issue, try to find a new angle, an uncovered niche, or other approach to get at it – we can't accept repetition. If you're stuck, ask for advice in the Writer's Block!

You have just one entry: use it well.

What Could I Win?
Our winners will be featured in a follow-up News post, so you can bask in the glory that is internet fame. These finalists are also guaranteed that their submissions will be added to the game. When an issue is published into the game, the author receives an Issues Author badge for their nation's homepage.

As with other contests, we will also use this contest to look out for potential future editors.

What Does That Mean?
In the course of the contest, the Issues Team may spot one or more players with the potential to be (either at present or at some time in the future) an Issues Editor. Good work and a helpful attitude are always positive traits.

Everything depends on the entries we receive.

When Will Results Be Announced?
We'll try to announce the results some time in July, but if the competition is especially fierce, it may take a little extra time. Keep your eyes peeled.

What Happens If I Don't Win?
If you don't win, don't be discouraged - we are always looking for well-written issues. Quality submissions that don't become finalists can still go into the pool for regular editing, and may be added to the game at a later date.

Good Luck and Happy Issuing!

How many winners will there be?

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:56 am

I might give it a try! I know it's stated there but I would like to ask something. Is there a first come first serve on when the issue is submitted? I mea yes, obviously the later issues will have less drafting time, but will the editors look at all issues equally, or will the later issues get less attention due to time constraints and submission volume?

Sorry of the question is a bit absurd.

Edit: Hey, I'm the 8th post!
Last edited by Valentine Z on Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:39 am

Candesia wrote:Q. Can we submit an issue that was posted in the forum, I mean here in the Got Issues? forum?

Yes. We strongly encourage all entrants to draft here on the forum!

Shudana wrote:How many winners will there be?

We haven't committed to a specific number, but in the last few years we've gone with ten.

Valentine Z wrote:I might give it a try! I know it's stated there but I would like to ask something. Is there a first come first serve on when the issue is submitted? I mea yes, obviously the later issues will have less drafting time, but will the editors look at all issues equally, or will the later issues get less attention due to time constraints and submission volume?

There will be no advantage to submitting earlier or later. Generally speaking, all contest entries get put in a special folder, and we only start really digging in when the contest ends - that way everyone is on an even footing. This is also why it usually takes several weeks before we can announce our winners - we only start the review process when the entry period closes!

Shudana
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 31, 2021
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Shudana » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:56 am

Are we allowed to put in multiple submissions?

CANDESIA
Attaché

Founded: Apr 04, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby CANDESIA » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:00 am

Verdant Haven wrote:Yes. We strongly encourage all entrants to draft here on the forum!

No, I am asking that the issues which were drafted in the forum, can we use that issue in the usual page? If answer is no, then sorry its too late, I already submitted an issue of draft that was written by me.
Last edited by CANDESIA on Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
--- From The Telegrammer, approved by Tomkins MacJohan, Governor Of Candesia.
Contact The North Pacific, if the telegrammer of Candesia cannot answer about The North Pacific.

Mameath
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 23, 2021
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Mameath » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:32 am

Where do I write a draft for an issue?

The Southwest Islands
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 24, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby The Southwest Islands » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:00 am

Quick question, since its for the month of June, can I do something that has to do with the LGBTQIABCDEFG...(sorry, had to do it) community?
David "DJ" Hayes I

Emperor-King of The Southwest Islands, Governor of Guam, Supreme Judge

A Class 0.4267 Civilization according to this index.

Democratic Poopland
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 09, 2023
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Democratic Poopland » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:21 am

The Southwest Islands wrote:Quick question, since its for the month of June, can I do something that has to do with the LGBTQIABCDEFG...(sorry, had to do it) community?

I bet that it's okay. I'd even recommend it; it's pride month, just do it!
Protests in Klūben. | Mind-control documents leaked. | PSS 12345
Moderation links. (I'm not a moderator.) | Governor of The Poopian Bloc. | He/they. | aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Squidward Town
Secretary

Founded: Feb 22, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Squidward Town » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:41 am

This is gonna be sick! Probably making my issue a contest issue, since it might still be in the game if I'm not a finalist but not sure yet. Good luck to everyone participating :)

Isomedia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 30, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Isomedia » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:34 am

I have a question, when you submit an issue, a message pops up saying that you'll be telegrammed if your issue got accepted, let's say hypothetically my issue does get accepted as one of the eight, would I receive said telegram or would I be made aware only at the end of the event?
Yo, I'm a place, with a flag, pls no invadu

Atlantic Isles
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 02, 2022

Postby Atlantic Isles » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:18 pm

I've previously submitted an issue, but I never heard anything about it. 2 questions:
A) Could I submit that issue as part of the contest?
B) Is there any way that I could find out about the status of the issue?

Southland
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Southland » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:22 pm

Atlantic Isles wrote:I've previously submitted an issue, but I never heard anything about it. 2 questions:

If you hadn't heard back from it, that means it was rejected. You can try improving it and submitting it again, that's what some people do around this time.
Disserbia wrote:swaziland on acid and jesus

Ealdracaland wrote:I get a weird vibe from the sun on the flag. It feels like it's looking at me with malicious intent.
Verkhoyanska wrote:Condemn for having that creepy looking sun in your flag. IT'S STARING INTO MY SOUL.

Reloviskistan wrote:Unrelated: AN's flag looks like a mural on the wall of a Mexican restaurant

Valehart wrote:That flag's face is high on something that's illegal in most countries

Spiritkin Village wrote:Banned for you constantly implying you got all this lore, yet have no factbooks. Like at this point it is just a tease.
Novaya Tselinoyarsk wrote:In defiance everyone should go on protest with a Big Gulp.

(Image)

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:23 pm

Shudana wrote:Are we allowed to put in multiple submissions?

Each player is permitted only a single entry into the contest. You may always submit other drafts as a regular (non-contest) submissions.

Candesia wrote:No, I am asking that the issues which were drafted in the forum, can we use that issue in the usual page? If answer is no, then sorry its too late, I already submitted an issue of draft that was written by me.

All issues, regardless of where they are drafted (on the forum or not) have to be submitted from that page. There is no distinction.

Mameath wrote:Where do I write a draft for an issue?

In the Got Issues forum is the preferred spot! Check out the FAQ thread (linked from the main post) for information about how to write, and take a look at the forum to see lots of examples of people with drafts in progress.

The Southwest Islands wrote:Quick question, since its for the month of June, can I do something that has to do with the LGBTQIABCDEFG...(sorry, had to do it) community?

You may choose nearly any topic you like, at any time.

Isomedia wrote:I have a question, when you submit an issue, a message pops up saying that you'll be telegrammed if your issue got accepted, let's say hypothetically my issue does get accepted as one of the eight, would I receive said telegram or would I be made aware only at the end of the event?

That telegram is sent whenever an issue is published into the game. Publication happens after the full editing process is completed, and that process for this contest won't begin until the winners are selected. As such, for contest purposes, such a telegram would happen well after the contest is done.

Atlantic Isles wrote:I've previously submitted an issue, but I never heard anything about it. 2 questions:

A) We request that issues submitted be ones that have not previously been submitted. If something was previously sent in and made it to the pool of potentials, then it's already there and the contest doesn't help. If it was previously sent in and didn't make it as a potential, it won't this time either, and sending it in again is a waste of your one entry. If you believe it didn't make it and you want to overhaul the concept so it's fresh and new - not just a couple words, but new concepts and ideas? That's reasonable.
B) Sadly, with thousands of entries coming in per year, we can't generally provide feedback on the status of issues not currently being edited/published.

West Barack and East Obama
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:18 pm

Good luck to all contestants!
Sonnel is the place.

6x Issues Author | Political Figures | Sports Stuff

██████████

Pentonic
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 27, 2022
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Pentonic » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:05 pm

I've got to try this out.
Puppet of United States of Dictators, mainly based in The North Pacific and Europeia. Known as Caius.

Mameath
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 23, 2021
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Mameath » Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:08 am

Ok! Thank you!

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Electrum » Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:56 am

I've posted as many comments as I can today and will be getting to some of the rest tomorrow (mainly focusing on drafts that have not received an IE comment recently). I should note that it is absolutely essential for the community, as well as for your own issue writing skills, to critique other people's drafts. Don't just post your drafts and leave.
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

Atlantic Isles
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 02, 2022

Postby Atlantic Isles » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:29 pm

Electrum wrote:I've posted as many comments as I can today and will be getting to some of the rest tomorrow (mainly focusing on drafts that have not received an IE comment recently). I should note that it is absolutely essential for the community, as well as for your own issue writing skills, to critique other people's drafts. Don't just post your drafts and leave.

Completely agree with this-- I'd also recommend just reading through threads here to get an idea of potential problems that could arise to get a handle on them proactively.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:51 am

Oh shoot, 12 more days to go. Still have not written anything! >,<
Last edited by Valentine Z on Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?