NATION

PASSWORD

U. S. Senate Considering Modification to Constitution

APRIL FOOLS 2010 -A place for fair and reasonable discussion of important issues. Like what to do about those heartless fascists!
Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

U. S. Senate Considering Modification to Constitution

Postby Linux and the X » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:03 am

WASHINGTON, D.C. (AP) -- For the first time in nearly two decades, the United States Senate is considering putting forward a constitutional amendment. The new amendment, if it passes, would eliminate what some senators are calling the "inconsistencies" in the twenty-sixth amendment.

"It's just ridiculous that something intended to get rid of age discrimination would mention a specific age," says Senator Bill Nelson (D - FL).

When asked why the Senate is not also working on modifying the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, which only forbids age discrimination against those over forty, Senator Nelson said "one thing at a time, please!"

Some senators disagree with this, of course.

"This is a moral outrage," said Senator Kay Hutchison (R - TX). "Kids shouldn't be thrust into politics; they should be in school, in church, in the parks!"

The bill being considered would also eliminate the requirement that the President have attained an age of at least thirty-five years. Should the Senate pass the measure with a two-thirds supermajority, it would then continue to the House of Representatives for the same supermajority. To become a part of the constitution, it would have to be approved by three-fourths of the states. (For more information about constitutional amendments, click here.)

Source
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:04 am

Can Bill get his bill through? We'll see!
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Anarcosyndiclic Peons
Envoy

Founded: Jul 29, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Anarcosyndiclic Peons » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:45 pm

You had my hopes up for a moment :(

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:47 pm

It would mostly just be a symbolic gesture.
It is very very rare that anyone can win an election at that young of an age. doubly so for Senator and President.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Return to Liberal Discussion Zone