NATION

PASSWORD

What question do you want to ask AU?

The place to relax, unwind, share a joke, and generally goof off.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sword Island
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sword Island » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:22 am

Drongonia wrote:
Anatoliyanskiy wrote:I must know, is Drongonia based off an alternate-history New Zealand, or just an independent South Island? Or is it even based off of New Zealand?

Alt-history New Zealand.

Sword Island wrote:1, How has your experience on Nationstates been so far, and 2, how did you find Nationstates.

That's all :)

Are you Australian irl?

No, I just thought it would be a cool place to base a nation
/skip
"Why do you care what people think?
Are you hooked up to their leash?
You know anklebiters
Ate up your personality"- Paramore

Song of the Day: Face Down- The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Album of the Day: brand new eyes- Paramore

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 07, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:27 am

Drongonia wrote:
Anatoliyanskiy wrote:I must know, is Drongonia based off an alternate-history New Zealand, or just an independent South Island? Or is it even based off of New Zealand?

Alt-history New Zealand.

Sword Island wrote:1, How has your experience on Nationstates been so far, and 2, how did you find Nationstates.

Are you Australian irl?

Do you live in New Zealand, and if so is it true that people will swerve to hit opossums down there?
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society founded by mongols and vikings (and later with multiple other Asian and Native American cultures) motivated by an intrinsic devotion to the spirit of competition. They'll walk softly, talk softly, and make soothing noises as they stab you in the back and take your stuff... unless you're another Caleshan, whereupon they'll only stab you in the back figuratively!

Used NS stats: Population. That’s it. Anything else not stated in the factbooks is not used.

Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips (involved tribes: Plainsrider, Hawkeye, Wavecrasher)
Current RP: A Rock Out of Place (involved tribes: Night Wolf, Deep Kraken, Starwalker)

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:29 am

The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:
Drongonia wrote:Alt-history New Zealand.

Are you Australian irl?

Do you live in New Zealand, and if so is it true that people will swerve to hit opossums down there?

Did you use the British flag as a template for the creation of this nation's flag?
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Soviet Progonya
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Progonya » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:57 am

How do you come up with ideas for the issues you write and do you have any tips for someone who wants to try his hand at writing them?
Erik | Male | Russian | Christian | Mixed Race
I'm into TF2, Madness Combat, art, animating,
Hotline Miami, competitive rifle shooting.
My art account My animations My fan project
Trans rights and racial equality are based
Current affairs:
In love with Splatoon, it's an amazing game,
Watching Better Call Saul and in love,
Testosterone enjoyer ever since 24/03,
Learning blender and 3D modelling
A post-apocalyptic nation located entirely within a megastructure amidst a burning Earth, in a world where reality barely holds together and magic arises from the cracks.

Innatist with a side of virtue epistemology, slightly utilitarian with hedonist characteristics, not smart enough to understand economics

The Dodo Republic
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 22, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Dodo Republic » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:01 am

The flag... Its like the all seeing eye with a communist twist. Was that what you were going for?
Birds are government drones. The media has lied to you this whole time. Well, good morning good afternoon good evening nationstates. Long Island born and raised liberal conservative, actor, singer, history enthusiast (I know original), antique simp, fan of prehistory and especially dodos. Have a good day everybody :)

Kiu Ghesik
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kiu Ghesik » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:03 am

Is there a reason you've decided to forego any sort of formatting beyond bolding for your factbooks?
Brief
Caller
Clans
Strife
Words
Faith

 ✵  THE GREAT KIU - EJADRIR DEGHEU GIYEF KHUDEYVH. ✵ 

Questions | Soon | Nomadwave
✵ A newly-birthed confederation of insular nomadic clansmen struggling to remain a local great power in the face of their expanding foes. May or may not be united by worship of an eldritch mother-goddess. Now with extra align=center!

✵ ooc: i dont exist
She's loyal, smol, ready to rol. Big big bowl, full of rol. Smol rol, big bowl. Cinny rol, big bowl, smol rol.

Airceltria
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 16, 2021

Postby Airceltria » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:09 am

The Solar Remnant wrote:1) How common is polygamy in your nation? Doesn't Alexandria have like 3 husbands IIRC?
2) Are there more practical or mundane applications to magic? Like in the energy sector?

It's more common with noble families who do it to establish close ties with other families or for personal preference. You don't see it as often with regular folks and mystics but sometimes it does happen.

Magic has many practical applications. The military uses golems as war mechs and even power armor. Alchemy is used to create new breeds of plants, animals, and new dyes. Medical use of magic has made incurable diseases like HIV curable and even things like cancer are within the curable range. Energy usage is another use for magic as well as some nukes actually blend magic to replicate the effects of fusion. Also automatons are made with magic and another popular application of magic is making homes that are smart and can change and move things around for those who live in them.

Also Alex as of now is single. Two of her husbands died and the third pretty much ended in a amicable divorce.

Kiu Ghesik wrote:Is there a reason you've decided to forego any sort of formatting beyond bolding for your factbooks?

What made you decide to have a woman leading your nomadic horde?
Last edited by Airceltria on Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiu Ghesik
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Kiu Ghesik » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:13 am

Airceltria wrote:
Kiu Ghesik wrote:Is there a reason you've decided to forego any sort of formatting beyond bolding for your factbooks?

What made you decide to have a woman leading your nomadic horde?

Flipped a coin. That's how I decide most of my characters' genders. Furthermore it makes more sense for the "completely out of place and doesn't want to be there" role in her narrative she has- if Ari was male, most of the points about trying to force herself to be the strong-as-fuck, over-the-top warrior she tries to be would be either kitschy or unnecessary, since she's just as much fighting to not be ditched by the council as an unsuitable successor as she is to actually execute her role.

/skip
Last edited by Kiu Ghesik on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brief
Caller
Clans
Strife
Words
Faith

✵ A newly-birthed confederation of insular nomadic clansmen struggling to remain a local great power in the face of their expanding foes. May or may not be united by worship of an eldritch mother-goddess. Now with extra align=center!

She's loyal, smol, ready to rol. Big big bowl, full of rol. Smol rol, big bowl. Cinny rol, big bowl, smol rol.

The Alkdorian Empire
Secretary

Founded: Oct 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alkdorian Empire » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:14 am

The same, why an Empress and not an Emperor? What's so interesting to have a female sovereign compared to a male sovereign?
Last edited by The Alkdorian Empire on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Join the Forum 7 Discord Today! If you desire to have a wacky experience. |
“Understand this. You may think you're an absolute idiot. But remember, there are folks out there who are a LOT more idiotic than yourself.”
“The world is an angry place, getting madder and madder every waking moment of our pitiful existence. So let’s all just put on our clown shoes and laugh at it.”
-Brap (me)

Airceltria
Spokesperson

Postby Airceltria » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:20 am

The Alkdorian Empire wrote:In return, why an Empress and not an Emperor?

Same reason why I stated in another thread. I wanted to take the concept of a theocracy and not only add more complexity and nuance to show why people would choose this system and how it isn't always terrible like in most fictional depictions, but to also subvert some of the expected tropes one would expect from it.

Theocratic states are run by old men? Make the ruler a middle age woman who is also a mother. The leader should treat even the concept of the flesh and sex as a sin on god's green earth? Not this one as her factbook shows lol. Theocratic should hate science and magic with equal measures? HA! Faith, Science, and Magic are one and the same in this state!

Plus she was based on another character I made in a RP who I had fun playing as and I figure why not?

/skipme.

The Independent Republic of Mars
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 16, 2021
Capitalizt

Postby The Independent Republic of Mars » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:22 am

I honestly can't remember how I found NationStates in the first place, but I'm enjoying it so far! Just wish I had more time to actually finish my factbooks

/skip
火星民國 • REPUBLIC OF MARS • ΔΗΜΟΚΡΑΤΊΑ ΤΟΥ ΆΡΗ • मंगल गणराज्य • 火星民国 • REPUBLIKKEN MARS • РЕСПУБЛІКА МАРСА • REPÚBLICA DE MARTE
To learn more, please visit the factbook homepage of the Republic of Mars. This nation is still very much a work in progress, so if you have any questions, spot any inconsistencies or translation errors, or just want me to hurry up and get writing, please send me a telegram and let me know!
NS STATS ARE NOT USED

Soviet Progonya
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Progonya » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:28 am

The Dodo Republic wrote:The flag... Its like the all seeing eye with a communist twist. Was that what you were going for?

I was going for an authoritarian theme so I used the eye, and the communism so I used the hammer + sickle.
/skipme
Erik | Male | Russian | Christian | Mixed Race
I'm into TF2, Madness Combat, art, animating,
Hotline Miami, competitive rifle shooting.
My art account My animations My fan project
Trans rights and racial equality are based
Current affairs:
In love with Splatoon, it's an amazing game,
Watching Better Call Saul and in love,
Testosterone enjoyer ever since 24/03,
Learning blender and 3D modelling
A post-apocalyptic nation located entirely within a megastructure amidst a burning Earth, in a world where reality barely holds together and magic arises from the cracks.

Innatist with a side of virtue epistemology, slightly utilitarian with hedonist characteristics, not smart enough to understand economics

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:36 am

Soviet Progonya wrote:How do you come up with ideas for the issues you write and do you have any tips for someone who wants to try his hand at writing them?

My advice would be to look a lot at what's happening in the world. Much of my inspiration for issues comes from things I hear in the news, like the LGBTQ-free zones in Poland. Sometimes it may appear as a lot of those things from the news have been written about many times, but you'd be surprised at how often they can be a novelty here!

So, look to the news, both domestic and international news. You don't need to copy it word for word, but it's a good starting point to get the inspiration train going. And if you want to try your hand at writing in general, my advice would be to first try and practice writing simple dialogues between two or more people. Only the dialogues first, and then start to add descriptors. It's a good way to ease yourself into the art of writing :)

/skipme
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Zul-ar
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 18, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Zul-ar » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:44 am

The Alkdorian Empire wrote:The same, why an Empress and not an Emperor? What's so interesting to have a female sovereign compared to a male sovereign?

What inspired you to make a nudist religion?
With diligence, bravery, and obedience

Wear your masks and social distance.
This nation does not align with my views. NS stats somewhat canon. A Class 2 Civilization according to this index.
My Countryball art.
Headlines: Female Tourist Released to Nation of Origin After Arrest for Indecent Exposure | Records From Season 5 of Radio Show "The Pious Man" Now For Sale | Actor Terrijorr From Hit Radio Show "The Pious Man" is Released, All Charges Dropped | New Sanitary Laws Go Into Effect | Mor-Leaf Prices Rise By .03%

Airceltria
Spokesperson

Postby Airceltria » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:19 am

Zul-ar wrote:
The Alkdorian Empire wrote:The same, why an Empress and not an Emperor? What's so interesting to have a female sovereign compared to a male sovereign?

Another theocratic state. What made you go for that style of government for your state?

Kiu Ghesik
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Kiu Ghesik » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:24 am

so, I get that as you said the point of making maleficism the way it was was to set it up so it was more or less an inversion of "ebil theocracy" in the sense that it didn't really proscribe anything like "gays bad, kill 'em." but are there any outgroups or professions condemned by it? I mean, most religions have them, so I'd expect it to.
Brief
Caller
Clans
Strife
Words
Faith

Airceltria
Spokesperson

Postby Airceltria » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:32 am

Kiu Ghesik wrote:so, I get that as you said the point of making maleficism the way it was was to set it up so it was more or less an inversion of "ebil theocracy" in the sense that it didn't really proscribe anything like "gays bad, kill 'em." but are there any outgroups or professions condemned by it? I mean, most religions have them, so I'd expect it to.

No. Maleficism was made for something else. The evil theocracy was more of the nation than the faith because often the problems with religion comes with people using it to excuse terrible actions or twisting passages and beliefs for their own use. As for professions it condemns... Honestly with how I have it set up I think finding a way to get something it is against is difficult because there are just different domains covered by the gods. My best guess would be that the ones who would be hated are those who actively tries to oppose whatever domain a specific god resides in.

Like anti scientific belief and actions would anger the Faith emanation such a good way to piss of the Wrist emanation would be to physically, mentally, and sexually abuse your partner. That is my best guess on people who would be hated by the faith. Not sure if that really helped. I never really thought of people who the faith would condemn.

/skipme

The Allied Tribe
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Allied Tribe » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:49 am

Kiu Ghesik wrote:so, I get that as you said the point of making maleficism the way it was was to set it up so it was more or less an inversion of "ebil theocracy" in the sense that it didn't really proscribe anything like "gays bad, kill 'em." but are there any outgroups or professions condemned by it? I mean, most religions have them, so I'd expect it to.

What's your religion based on? It's not that rare and I've seen the idea a few times, I'm still curious though.
Currently retired. This nation (my first on this website) will be put to rest after 4 years on April 22.
A pacifist union located on the utopian planet Delotheaa. Nothing notable other than its longevity (as the nation has existed for over 10,000 years) and its unusual ability to repel invasions.
We are also called Deetileaa-Deluaiia.
2nd Allied Tribe War is over, The Allied Tribe repels an invasion by ATFF | The Allied Tribe officially bans Child Labor, Compulsory Organ Harvesting | The Allied Tribe states that force must be used strictly defensively, begins armed neutrality and cuts aggressive military ties with all nations

The Alkdorian Empire
Secretary

Founded: Oct 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alkdorian Empire » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:53 am

Zul-ar wrote:

I had a chat with a fellow NS player a while back and somewhere along the lines this idea manifested and here it for all unfortunate eyes to see.

/skip
Join the Forum 7 Discord Today! If you desire to have a wacky experience. |
“Understand this. You may think you're an absolute idiot. But remember, there are folks out there who are a LOT more idiotic than yourself.”
“The world is an angry place, getting madder and madder every waking moment of our pitiful existence. So let’s all just put on our clown shoes and laugh at it.”
-Brap (me)

Kiu Ghesik
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Kiu Ghesik » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:58 am

The Allied Tribe wrote:What's your religion based on? It's not that rare and I've seen the idea a few times, I'm still curious though.

your background text doesn't work on dark mode :p

Funny enough, it's not Tengrism. Tengrism is a... bad comparison, really, since Tengrism is more or less just your bog-standard PIE religion left in the pot too long. And yes, I know the idea isn't that uncommon; the uniqueness comes when you get into the details of it (i.e. mechanic cosmos and the actual theology of it). My thought process when I wrote it went "hey, worshipping the sky sounds cool." The aspects of duality and the cosmos as an engineered thing that are really omnipresent in the Ghesite religion are pretty similar to deism's view of everything, hence why I often cite it as an "inspiration"- nothing really inspired it, though. I more or less thought "x concept would be cool" without bothering to do contextualizing research and this is what I got. So... no inspiration beyond half-remembered stereotypical concepts.

/skip
Brief
Caller
Clans
Strife
Words
Faith

Zul-ar
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 18, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Zul-ar » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:16 am

Airceltria wrote:
Zul-ar wrote:What inspired you to make a nudist religion?

Another theocratic state. What made you go for that style of government for your state?

I dug up a project I did as an itty-bitty human where I'd made up my own religion. Thought it was interesting, and I spent a week or so thinking about it, changing things up a bit. Figured I should get it out of my head and made a nation out of it. I also wanted it to have a strong effect on society, so I put it in charge.
/skipme
With diligence, bravery, and obedience

Wear your masks and social distance.
This nation does not align with my views. NS stats somewhat canon. A Class 2 Civilization according to this index.
My Countryball art.
Headlines: Female Tourist Released to Nation of Origin After Arrest for Indecent Exposure | Records From Season 5 of Radio Show "The Pious Man" Now For Sale | Actor Terrijorr From Hit Radio Show "The Pious Man" is Released, All Charges Dropped | New Sanitary Laws Go Into Effect | Mor-Leaf Prices Rise By .03%

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:19 am

TAT: To what degree of vegetarianism do your people follow? Ova-Lacto? Vegan? Fruitetarian?

Daarwyrth wrote:
The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:

Did you use the British flag as a template for the creation of this nation's flag?

No. It’s an impressionist perspective picture.
Last edited by The Caleshan Valkyrie on Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society founded by mongols and vikings (and later with multiple other Asian and Native American cultures) motivated by an intrinsic devotion to the spirit of competition. They'll walk softly, talk softly, and make soothing noises as they stab you in the back and take your stuff... unless you're another Caleshan, whereupon they'll only stab you in the back figuratively!

Used NS stats: Population. That’s it. Anything else not stated in the factbooks is not used.

Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips (involved tribes: Plainsrider, Hawkeye, Wavecrasher)
Current RP: A Rock Out of Place (involved tribes: Night Wolf, Deep Kraken, Starwalker)

Airceltria
Spokesperson

Postby Airceltria » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:30 am

Why you choose that as your flag?

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:46 am

Airceltria wrote:Why you choose that as your flag?

I did not choose it, I made it. Each color represents both a specific property as well as a place where the Caleshan have made a home.

Gray represents mountains and the open road, and represents the drive to explore.

Yellow-Orange represents open desert as well as Caleshan fortitude in the face of adversity.

Light blue represents the ocean and flexibility.

Dark Blue represents the sky and outer space, and also unflinching Caleshan ambition.

The central star represents the Sun and the Convocation compact tying all Caleshan together. They hold both things in high regard and almost religious dedication.

plus it was easy to make in ms paint.

/skip

Tohorin
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Tohorin » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:36 am

Airceltria wrote:Why you choose that as your flag?

1) I don't want to come off as rude, but if I can ask, do you ever regret depicting Alexandria so...sexily? Better phrased out, I mean to question, do you think it's an advantage to her characterization that it outweighs negative stereotypes that could arise? I've seen some rather disparaging commentary about her, even if it's IC.

2) How did you come up with the idea for your flag? It's very neat.
The Great Land of Tohorin

"THE CONFEDERACY WILL RISE AGAIN! No, not that one. "

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Forum 7