NATION

PASSWORD

NS Cliches: Rebooted

The place to relax, unwind, share a joke, and generally goof off.

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Carthagea
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby New Carthagea » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:04 pm

Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:
  • Benevolent (or not) immortal multiversal leaders that have been alive for eons. (All with great users and diverse concepts; it is something I have not personally encountered in fiction beyond actual deities and thus stands out to me.)
  • Leaders who are...too perfect, I guess?
  • Nations with no explicit stance on whether or not they are Kenneth Branagh

This. Kenneth Branagh is the decisive factor which divided the nations of F7. Also, Christophe is an android run by Kenneth Branagh.
Last edited by New Carthagea on Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Phoenician Kingdom of New Carthagea
Brief Overview | ♛ Government | ♖ People
The Father Has Come:  The Pope has started his 5 day visit to New Carthagea today in Phoenicia. He will meet HM The King later this day, and will address the joint session of the Parliament.
America Leaves Egypt! In a surprising turn of events, US President Biden has announced that he will be ordering the retreat of all American troops from American-occupied Egypt, says will work towards restoration of democracy.

Western Fardelshufflestein
Senator

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:07 pm

New Carthagea wrote:
  • Benevolent (or not) immortal multiversal leaders that have been alive for eons. (All with great users and diverse concepts; it is something I have not personally encountered in fiction beyond actual deities and thus stands out to me.)
  • Leaders who are...too perfect, I guess?
  • Nations with no explicit stance on whether or not they are Kenneth Branagh

This. Kenneth Branagh is the decisive factor which divided the nations of F7. Also, Christophe is an android run by Kenneth Branagh.

And the only way to escape Kenneth Branagh is to wear silly hats.

Thus, the King of Sweden sets and example we all should follow.
Last edited by Western Fardelshufflestein on Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Constitutional Monarchy of Western Fardelshufflestein
Always Has Been. | WF's User Be Like | NSG is Budget Twitter | Kenneth Branagh
Tiny, Shakespeare-obsessed island nation northeast of NZ settled by HRE emigrants who thought they'd landed in the West Indies. F7 Stuff Somewhat Not Canon; RP is in real time; Ignore Stats; Still Not Kenneth Branagh.
The Western Fardelshufflestein Sentinel | 6 January 2022 | Queen Releases Statement on King's Condition | King And Donor Recovering

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:24 pm

While not quite comparable to this, there have been plenty of instances of godlike aliens in science fiction outside of NS, for example Star Trek's Q, Doctor Who's Time Lords, and the monoliths in 2001: A Space Odyssey. The Time Lords in particular are the closest parallel I can think of. So the idea is not entirely unique to NS.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
The Mainframe requires more processing power and storage.
Donate your computing devices or they will be taken by force.
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

UPDATES (earth-year 3345): International Subsystem scales up operations in 42E5 "New York," Earth, now the largest known concentration of androids.

Factbooks | About Me | NationStates Flag Bracket II | Bytes (card farming region) | MAINFRAMEWAVE
Feel free to telegram me about anything. I'll do my best to respond.
Canon is relative to the observer. Not using NS stats.
This nation does not represent my real views, and if it represents yours, I question your sanity.

The Cult of Xil
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 26, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Cult of Xil » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:10 pm

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:

While not quite comparable to this, there have been plenty of instances of godlike aliens in science fiction outside of NS, for example Star Trek's Q, Doctor Who's Time Lords, and the monoliths in 2001: A Space Odyssey. The Time Lords in particular are the closest parallel I can think of. So the idea is not entirely unique to NS.

GENERIC_SUPERADVANCED_UTOPIAN_SPACE_SOCIETY_5713.txt
Last edited by The Cult of Xil on Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are an intergalactic FFT+ democratic theocracy that worships an exceedingly powerful Lovecraft entity. We are pacifists who want to minimize death and suffering and secure immortality by being eaten alive by said entity to become one with her, and convincing others to allow themselves to befall the same fate.
[Does not use NS Stats.] [Our leader, Lymarce IV] [Military]
"Time for your V O R E C A T I O N!"

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:57 pm

The Cult of Xil wrote:
The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:While not quite comparable to this, there have been plenty of instances of godlike aliens in science fiction outside of NS, for example Star Trek's Q, Doctor Who's Time Lords, and the monoliths in 2001: A Space Odyssey. The Time Lords in particular are the closest parallel I can think of. So the idea is not entirely unique to NS.

All of the examples I mentioned are far from generic, and the Time Lords are far from being utopian. My nation is a dystopia and I try to make it unique. So I am not sure what point you are trying to make here.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
The Mainframe requires more processing power and storage.
Donate your computing devices or they will be taken by force.
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

UPDATES (earth-year 3345): International Subsystem scales up operations in 42E5 "New York," Earth, now the largest known concentration of androids.

Factbooks | About Me | NationStates Flag Bracket II | Bytes (card farming region) | MAINFRAMEWAVE
Feel free to telegram me about anything. I'll do my best to respond.
Canon is relative to the observer. Not using NS stats.
This nation does not represent my real views, and if it represents yours, I question your sanity.

New Carthagea
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Carthagea » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:58 pm

Thus, the King of Sweden sets and example we all should follow.[/strike]

Prince Carl Philip AKA IRL Christophe II is not impressed of what you have done to his father.
The Father Has Come:  The Pope has started his 5 day visit to New Carthagea today in Phoenicia. He will meet HM The King later this day, and will address the joint session of the Parliament.
America Leaves Egypt! In a surprising turn of events, US President Biden has announced that he will be ordering the retreat of all American troops from American-occupied Egypt, says will work towards restoration of democracy.

Western Fardelshufflestein
Senator

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:59 pm

New Carthagea wrote:

Thus, the King of Sweden sets and example we all should follow.[/strike]

Prince Carl Philip AKA IRL Christophe II is not impressed of what you have done to his father.

His father is a legend.
The Constitutional Monarchy of Western Fardelshufflestein
Always Has Been. | WF's User Be Like | NSG is Budget Twitter | Kenneth Branagh
Tiny, Shakespeare-obsessed island nation northeast of NZ settled by HRE emigrants who thought they'd landed in the West Indies. F7 Stuff Somewhat Not Canon; RP is in real time; Ignore Stats; Still Not Kenneth Branagh.
The Western Fardelshufflestein Sentinel | 6 January 2022 | Queen Releases Statement on King's Condition | King And Donor Recovering

New Carthagea
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Carthagea » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:03 pm

New Carthagea wrote:

His father is a legend.

I agree. One of the finer and more transparent monarchs of Europe.

The Cult of Xil
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 26, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Cult of Xil » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:04 pm

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:
The Cult of Xil wrote:

All of the examples I mentioned are far from generic, and the Time Lords are far from being utopian. My nation is a dystopia and I try to make it unique. So I am not sure what point you are trying to make here.

I thought we were making cliche memes about the nation above you. My guess was that most players who see a big space empire with a bright or blue-colored flag tend to automatically think it's some kind of generic utopian fantasyland.
We are an intergalactic FFT+ democratic theocracy that worships an exceedingly powerful Lovecraft entity. We are pacifists who want to minimize death and suffering and secure immortality by being eaten alive by said entity to become one with her, and convincing others to allow themselves to befall the same fate.
[Does not use NS Stats.] [Our leader, Lymarce IV] [Military]
"Time for your V O R E C A T I O N!"

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:07 pm

I should have saved what I have written on the third one. I think I titled it as "NS Cliches III: Attack of the Phantom Menace"... or something.

-----

A cliche/trope that I myself am trying to avoid - one-dimensional characters in terms of emotions and responses. I can definitely show happiness in a character, that is for sure, and that is how Valentine Z got its rep. However, I am, at the same time, trying my best to improve on how my characters respond to someone else - not just pure elation, but with many other traits - both shown and hidden. For instance, you don't just happily meet someone knowing that he's a genocidal maniac. As Clarissa, I can still pull off the same energy of happiness, but have doubts about that character - doubts, worries, look at other traits and comment on them.

Here's to hoping that I am doing my best on this department of 2+ dimensional characters. ^^
Last edited by Valentine Z on Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆ =^._.^= ∫

Issues Thread 4th in Gen Sec Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Opinions Deposit! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures! Cat Anthem! Valentian News.
Q & A Here! | Heights of NS! | F7 Etiquette

Clarissa mistaken for Smurf/Avatar: 14
Valentijn Misgendered: 59
Valentijn now a She!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• As a wise man once said: 我等は砲兵 皇国の護り (We are Artillery Guardians of the Empire).
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:17 pm

I'm sure you'll be able to make your characters two dimensional after all you do have a creative mind!
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:24 pm

Aeritai wrote:I'm sure you'll be able to make your characters two dimensional after all you do have a creative mind!

Aww, thank you! ♥

I have 60,000 character limit for each of my characters' posts in The Sixty, I might as well use all the space I can get! :P
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !

The Sixty! Opinions Deposit! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures! Cat Anthem! Valentian News.

Valentijn now a She!

• As a wise man once said: 我等は砲兵 皇国の護り (We are Artillery Guardians of the Empire).

Kyoki Chudoku
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 28, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kyoki Chudoku » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:36 pm

Based upon all of TWO DAYS worth of recent observation:

The World-Shifting Leader!: You know, one of those leaders who basically turned the entire nation around and who is largely if not entirely responsible for its present state. Ahem. Often occurs in alternate historical nations, often which magical influence involved somewhere. As with any cliche, not necessarily bad- I mean I basically have one of these, I’d be a hypocrite to complain. Just noting how common it is. It’s easy to understand why.
This nation exists for fun and insanity, not to represent my actual views which are much more mundane and boring.
Also, I don't use NS stats. So please ignore them.
Current Status (yes, I'm bad at keeping this updated): Fluctuating

TG me for a free cookie. May contain traces of hydrogen cyanide.

New Carthagea
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Carthagea » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:38 pm

Kyoki Chudoku wrote:Based upon all of TWO DAYS worth of recent observation:

The World-Shifting Leader!: You know, one of those leaders who basically turned the entire nation around and who is largely if not entirely responsible for its present state. Ahem. Often occurs in alternate historical nations, often which magical influence involved somewhere. As with any cliche, not necessarily bad- I mean I basically have one of these, I’d be a hypocrite to complain. Just noting how common it is. It’s easy to understand why.

Nods in approval

Zitravgrad
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Zitravgrad » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:42 pm

While I believe in LGBT rights, I find it weird that it is being used as a stepping stone in writing a "progressive" leader. Or perhaps is it the first-world thing in which there is no more issue to solve?
❄ ❄ United Federation of Zitravgrad ❄ ❄
PMT/Early FT - Decopunk. Zitravgrad is a crowned republic in a planet somewhere else in the universe. The formerly wartorn nation keeps a facade of normalcy and order while enjoying the societal and cultural decadence that marks the new Roaring Twenties. The paranoid authoritarian government tries its best to uphold order in the face of uncertainty, while its people want nothing more than a breathing space. A deal that works, but maybe not in the long run. | My NS-Related Art | Hehe bad meme as flag
Providenska's Herald: "Publish or Perish" culture contributes to stress in academia | Public Smoking Ban revisited - authority urged to take it more seriously

Brettenwald
Senator

Founded: May 03, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby Brettenwald » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:43 pm

Ginormous Autocratic Authoritarian Hellscape™ is something that's honestly just boring and overdone.
Last edited by Brettenwald on Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRETTENWALD
Factbook completion will occur when hell freezes over and this nation is basically what happens at 3 AM when I overdose on Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Game of Thrones. Trans rights or you're getting kneecapped.
Center-right largely-absolute monarchy populated by the majority-pagan descendants of a mix of Vikings, Iron Age German rednecks and the odd shipwreck survivor coming into its own on the world stage during the final stages of a 32-year watershed moment under the watchful eye of an emperor who was never supposed to be one. Strict MT, 2021 though lore posts are generally asynchronous. Brettain is a catchall demonym, flag waifu by Polish Prussian Commonwealth, NS stats not canon.

Khoronzon
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 31, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Khoronzon » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:44 pm

Kyoki Chudoku wrote:The World-Shifting Leader!: You know, one of those leaders who basically turned the entire nation around and who is largely if not entirely responsible for its present state. Ahem. Often occurs in alternate historical nations, often which magical influence involved somewhere. As with any cliche, not necessarily bad- I mean I basically have one of these, I’d be a hypocrite to complain. Just noting how common it is. It’s easy to understand why.

In all fairness, it's rather boring to write characters with little narrative impact. The more someone does, the more story there is to tell and the more interesting things can happen, and when that someone is a political leader, "doing stuff" in a narrative typically translates to political change. I know you aren't complaining and probably don't disagree with this, but I do think it's somewhat worth noting.
Vʏʜʜ Xsʜʀ Xsʜʀɪɴ Tʜʀʜ
Leader
Figures
Culture
Regions
Military
World
The world is no longer as it once was, moulded beyond recognition by the hands of its coming masters. Humanity is faced with a simple choice: evolve, or die.

△▽△
[all lore is under reconstruction]
▽△▽
flag homies: the celestial shurayu republic and uij, checkem out they're v based
all rise for the national anthem

中国共产党万岁

Kyoki Chudoku
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kyoki Chudoku » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:49 pm

Khoronzon wrote:
Kyoki Chudoku wrote:The World-Shifting Leader!: You know, one of those leaders who basically turned the entire nation around and who is largely if not entirely responsible for its present state. Ahem. Often occurs in alternate historical nations, often which magical influence involved somewhere. As with any cliche, not necessarily bad- I mean I basically have one of these, I’d be a hypocrite to complain. Just noting how common it is. It’s easy to understand why.

In all fairness, it's rather boring to write characters with little narrative impact. The more someone does, the more story there is to tell and the more interesting things can happen, and when that someone is a political leader, "doing stuff" in a narrative typically translates to political change. I know you aren't complaining and probably don't disagree with this, but I do think it's somewhat worth noting.

Indeed! It’s perfectly fair to want the main representative of one’s nation to be a dynamic figure with many things worth mentioning about them, and with as much possibility for interesting outcomes as possible. Kyoki Chudoku is very much the result of just going along with insanity for the sake of making something utterly unrealistic but fun to work with, as opposed to a more grounded approach. It’s certainly understandable why one would want to set their nation in such a place as when radical shifts are ongoing or have just occurred, and why leaders would be so dramatic in their approaches. It makes things interesting that way.
This nation exists for fun and insanity, not to represent my actual views which are much more mundane and boring.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:50 pm

Ahh, yes, one cliche! NS Stats hatred. I mean sure, there are those that embraces it fully, or even use it with modified numbers.

But come on, it's not evil, it won't bite. #JusticeForNSStats.

Valentijn now a She!

New Carthagea
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Carthagea » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:52 pm

Valentine Z wrote:Ahh, yes, one cliche! NS Stats hatred. I mean sure, there are those that embraces it fully, or even use it with modified numbers.

Yes ! I've been here for a long time, and one of the most interesting things in this game is adjusting your NS stats by solving issues ! Sure, you can make some adjustments to it, but completely disregarding them sickens me.

#JusticeForNSStats

Kyoki Chudoku
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kyoki Chudoku » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:56 pm

Valentine Z wrote:Ahh, yes, one cliche! NS Stats hatred. I mean sure, there are those that embraces it fully, or even use it with modified numbers.

I’m afraid my perspective on NS stats is basically...I kind of tend to ignore them. I don’t answer issues much.

Zitravgrad
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Zitravgrad » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:00 pm

Imagine answering issues for 10 puppets? I'd rather die twice. :p

That said, I tend to the NSstats of my main pretty well... and I made a custom NSstats table if y'all don't want to do issues but want to define yourself with the stats.
❄ ❄ United Federation of Zitravgrad ❄ ❄
PMT/Early FT - Decopunk. Zitravgrad is a crowned republic in a planet somewhere else in the universe. The formerly wartorn nation keeps a facade of normalcy and order while enjoying the societal and cultural decadence that marks the new Roaring Twenties. The paranoid authoritarian government tries its best to uphold order in the face of uncertainty, while its people want nothing more than a breathing space. A deal that works, but maybe not in the long run. | My NS-Related Art | Hehe bad meme as flag
Providenska's Herald: "Publish or Perish" culture contributes to stress in academia | Public Smoking Ban revisited - authority urged to take it more seriously

Greater Cosmicium
Envoy

Founded: Mar 29, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Greater Cosmicium » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:06 pm

Hey, did you forget that NS stats ate my first-born child and killed 600000 bazillion people? :p
✯✯✯ UNIVERSAL EMPIRE OF GREATER COSMICIUM ✯✯✯
Military Hub
Geography Hub
History Hub
Economy Hub

There is strangeness all around this Universe we don't know about, but that is no reason to dismiss it as something ordinary. The only way to unveil strangeness is to understand it, research it, and make it part of our understanding of the world.
NS stats were dropped into Diet Coke to finally serve a useful purpose for Greater Cosmicium.
08/01/1072919 | Cosmi-Web News: [SCI] Cosmicium begins massive society simulation program | Cosmician Press Agency: 2nd Guard Battlemages mutiny due to underpayment

Tea Chuggers
Attaché

Founded: Aug 20, 2020
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Tea Chuggers » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:14 pm

Zitravgrad wrote:While I believe in LGBT rights, I find it weird that it is being used as a stepping stone in writing a "progressive" leader. Or perhaps is it the first-world thing in which there is no more issue to solve?

Ooh, that reminds me, the countries that claim to be progressives but didn't decriminalize homosexuality until 2018 or so, just in time for the current leader who actually really quite seems like the player to have come to power, when the earliest countries to have decriminalized it did so in the 19th century.

I can get behind the sentiment, but sometimes they just completely disconnect unless you're a catgirl """communist""" FT space empire nazis. Like, TC's total population is 32,000, which... is far lower than the population that it started out with, 5 million, because it's an island chain not too terribly larger than Hawai'i. Statistics that take into account the... particularly laughably off population number are invalid by default. And sometimes you just completely make a mistake; I didn't mean to totally block immigration but I picked the wrong option and I'm stuck with it.
Last edited by Tea Chuggers on Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leaf water good. Bean water bad. David Ricardo was on to something and so was Eugene Stoner.
Only the trends are canon, not individual stats. If you want to get angry very quickly, I recommend Twitter.
Current status: fine.

Khoronzon
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 31, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Khoronzon » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:14 pm

New Carthagea wrote:Yes ! I've been here for a long time, and one of the most interesting things in this game is adjusting your NS stats by solving issues ! Sure, you can make some adjustments to it, but completely disregarding them sickens me.

The main problem with NS stats, aside from the obvious question of whether you actually want to commit to building up your gameside nation on top of written worldbuilding (though admittedly it isn't much of a commitment given issue frequency, but that depends on how many puppets you're trying to manage and how much you care to analyse options), is that they don't always make sense in context. If you're an MT/PMT nation-state or similar polity, they mostly work, but the further removed your nation is from a relatively standard country, the more problems NS stats start to have in terms of lining up with its actual canon.

That being said, I do answer issues somewhat actively on all the puppets I care to maintain, even when applying them to their lore doesn't make much sense. Boredom and force of habit, I suppose.
Vʏʜʜ Xsʜʀ Xsʜʀɪɴ Tʜʀʜ
Leader
Figures
Culture
Regions
Military
World
The world is no longer as it once was, moulded beyond recognition by the hands of its coming masters. Humanity is faced with a simple choice: evolve, or die.

△▽△
[all lore is under reconstruction]
▽△▽
flag homies: the celestial shurayu republic and uij, checkem out they're v based
all rise for the national anthem

中国共产党万岁

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Forum 7