NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates Flag Bracket II (Congratulations to Albali!)

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:43 am

South Reinkalistan - Main Flag defeats Nappon of Threefold Riches 21-3.
Congratulations to South Reinkalistan on that resounding victory. Only seven matches to go before the top 64 begins.

Top 128 Match 58
Paradeavenlistan States - Main Flag vs United Republic of Freedonia (by Vaspelia)
Vote for your favorite flag and, if you want, explain your preference in the thread!

Submissions are now completely closed. Updates to existing flags and descriptions are allowed, so long as your flag has not been voted on yet.

Paradeavenlistan States
The colour scheme has, perhaps, the most detailed meaning to it. Each colour represents each major native species(and sub species) and region of Paradeavenlisian States(all of which actually have good reasons involving the major habitats and cultures of Paradeavenlisian States.

The blue represents Homo Coelum, Plymnola and the ocean as blue is associated with the sea, which is also what the culture of Homo Coelum is often associated with. One reason why the blue also represents the ocean is because the vast ocean was(along with the storm)what has made Paradeavenlisian States into the truly unique and distinct nation it is today, which also explains why the blue is the biggest colour in the flag.

The green represents Homo Tierra, Belltona and the environment, particularly the vast forests as green is associated with the environment especially forests and Homo Tierra seems to have had the oldest bond with nature out of any native intelligent sentient beings. This is due to the fact that their region, Belltona, has the highest percentage of forest cover of any region. In addition, it also represents the main political party of Paradeavenlisian States: United Green Party.

The yellow represents Homo Paradis, Angelshear, as well as the strong and flexible economy of PS and vast meadows of flowers in Angelshear. The reason why it represents Homo Paradis is because of the vast amount of agriculture they had conducted historically. It also represents the tranquil beaches of Paradeavenlisian States.

The white represents the sub species of Homo Coelum(Homo Coelum Farc in Logreyhiel), Logreyhiel and white-capped mountains and volcanoes dotted across the nation. It, along with the stars in general, represent the extremely long-term peace that has been experienced throughout the archipelago.

The antlers represent the strong bond and coexistence held between the humanoids and other animals for millions of years. In addition, what many people don't seem to know is that the antlers actually also represent the phoenixes(yes, the phoenixes of Paradeavenlisian States have antlers) especially the guardian phoenixes that patrol near the storm.

The yellow outline of the shield represents the storm itself as well as all of the other defenses of Paradeavenlisian States as a whole. The stars themselves actually represent the archipelago of Paradavenlisian States as a whole and shows the stability brought and gifted to the nation as a result of these defenses. The stars also represent the peaceful unification and peaceful coexistence between the people of Paradeavenlisian States and additionally represent the 5 groups of native humanoids: Homo Sapiens, Homo Coelum, Homo Paradis, Homo Tierra and Homo Coelum (although not a seperate humanoid species, they are notably distinct from other Homo Coelum sub-species, especially culturally and morphological characteristic). Another thing that the stars represent is the Stangelic Energy which has had a huge impact on the nation.

United Republic of Freedonia
Up the Snake! (thank you almonaster to make the snake's eye red when i didn't even asked you to do that, it's fucking metal)

My opinion: This is a difficult choice; both are excellent designs with good symbols, good color choice, and good layout. Paradeavenlistan States did go through the trouble of writing an extremely long description for theirs, so I suppose I will give them my vote.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
The Mainframe requires more processing power and storage.
Donate your computing devices or they will be taken by force.
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

UPDATES (earth-year 3345): International Subsystem scales up operations in 42E5 "New York," Earth, now the largest known concentration of androids.

Factbooks | About Me | NationStates Flag Bracket II | Bytes (card farming region) | MAINFRAMEWAVE
Feel free to telegram me about anything. I'll do my best to respond.
Canon is relative to the observer. Not using NS stats.
This nation does not represent my real views, and if it represents yours, I question your sanity.

Paradeavenlisian States
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Paradeavenlisian States » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:48 am

Ah yes... the animal-based match of this bracket as far as I can tell. Of course, since one of my submissions is being voted on, I will abstain from this. But I must say, I do really love that snake design and layout! Quite frankly, who knows how this could go? Regardless, I wish good luck to Vaspelia and their awesome flag and may the best flag win.
Last edited by Paradeavenlisian States on Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paradiraneami Taihou | ParadeavenlisianStates | ᚚᚐᚏᚐᚇᚔᚏᚐᚅᚓᚐᚋᚔ ᚈᚐᚔᚆᚑᚒ
MAJOR OVERHAUL ONGOING

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:42 am

Paradeavenlistan States - Main Flag defeats United Republic of Freedonia (by Vaspelia) 15-4.
Further congratulations to Paradeavenlistan States. Given the relative strength of Freedonia's flag, this bodes very well for Paradeavenlistan in later matches.

Top 128 Match 59
The East Pacific vs Star-Flame Eagle (by Greater Cosmicium)
Vote for your favorite flag and, if you want, explain your preference in the thread!

Submissions are now completely closed. Updates to existing flags and descriptions are allowed, so long as your flag has not been voted on yet.

The East Pacific
Credit to The Church of Satan - not made or used by Newark Aristocracy.

Star-Flame Eagle
The Star-Flame Eagle, developed in 1072916, has three colors: yellow, black and white. It has six stars, representing the five major races of Greater Cosmicium (Human, Khaazai, Scorpion, Dragon and Nuironi), and one large minor race (Imizga), an eagle, representing the power of Greater Cosmicium, and a yellow background with black stripes, representing the expanse of Greater Cosmicium.

My opinion: Another tough one - both flags with good symbols, good colors, and a great layout. I find TEP's flag to be a little crowded in the center - the combination between the compass and square, circle, and compass-rose makes for a symbol that's a bit too complex. So I'll be voting for GC, as its appeal is in its simplicity.
Last edited by The Cosmic Mainframe on Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

UPDATES (earth-year 3345): International Subsystem scales up operations in 42E5 "New York," Earth, now the largest known concentration of androids.

Factbooks | About Me | NationStates Flag Bracket II | Bytes (card farming region) | MAINFRAMEWAVE
This nation does not represent my real views, and if it represents yours, I question your sanity.

Paradeavenlisian States
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Paradeavenlisian States » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:13 am

Which nation's flag, between The East Pacific and Star Flame-Eagle, will I vote for?

Simplicity:For TEP's Flag, the emblem is extremely complicated and a bit clustered purely due to the details to the compass emblem and the symbols incorporated within the compass emblem. For SF-E's flag, while it does feature an eagle that has a fairly detailed outline, it doesn't really look too overly complicated as the details on the eagle are pretty much only on the outlines of the symbol and there really anything else within the eagle, which makes it comparatively less clustered and confusing. Henceforth, I find it pretty obvious to give SF-E's flag the win on the simplicity category because although it may have more to the overall layout, the emblem is a completely different matter as there is less detail and use of symbolism on TEP's emblem.

Originality:As for originality, while TEP's flag does have a compass emblem which does noticeable similarities to TEP's flag in regards to the layout of it, the unique selection of colour choices, coupled by the additional symbols within the compass, clearly distinguish it from its NATO counterpart. As for SF-E's flag, the modified Bundeslader eagle has been featured, in the exact same layout, numerous times in many alternate history flags, especially German ones. However, it does have a pretty unique colour scheme and design layout so there's that. Even with that though, I still think TEP's flag is more distinguishing as the emblem in the centre has been featured far less times in other flags and it does add in some completely unique features to it as well.

Colour Scheme:For the colour scheme, TEP does have an excellent colour scheme of green and yellow which work really well together and execute the concept perfectly. In fact, I don't think I have any issues with the colour scheme in all honesty. SF-E's flag also has a visually-appealing colour scheme which also execute their concept with perfection. The only slight issue I may have with the colour scheme is the use of black, which, for some reasons, feels a bit replaceable. Maybe replace it with purple instead? Either way though, I don't have any other issues with the colour scheme frankly. This is extremely tough category to decide on. Therefore, I'll probably have to result to judging this purely by personal preference. So, I feel like I have to give a slight edge to TEP since I just find their colour scheme to be more visually appealing and intriguing to my very eyes.

Design:In terms of design, TEP's flag does have quite a nice layout and great use of symbolism which is striking, to give the flag quite some character, recognisable so that it doesn't get confused with another flag, and memorable, which is linked with how striking the design is. I do, however, have some problems with it. For one, I do feel like the details on the very centre of the cross do unnecessarily make the design overly clustered and, henceforth, should probably be removed. And secondly, I feel like the yellow circular edge of the emblem should have an inner outline of similar thickness to the outline surrounding the yellow circular edge on the outside. As for SF-E's flag, the layout looks quite neat and rather tidy, coupled with nice composition and a not-so clustered centre. My only gripe with the design is that the fact that the black outlines are thicker than the yellow edges on the left and right side. Personally, I would simply swap the thickness of the lines with each other. Considering this, I feel like SF-E's flag has the superior design as it just has better composition as well as a much tidier and neater centre.

Realism:In regards to realism, TEP's flag doesn't really do that well in that aspect as the centre just feels a bit too clustered to really fit that well when compared with a real world flag. SF-E's flag design has a decently real-looking layout, especially as a historical European flag. However, I just don't think the colours would really fit so well with such a concept in all honesty. Keeping that in mind, though, I personally feel like SF-E's flag is more realistic as the design, by itself, does feel like it could be certainly be for a historical Central European flag.

Verdict:Overall, winning in 3/5 of the categories above, at least within my point of view, my vote goes to SF-E's flag since it has better composition coupled with a better layout and, to top it all off, its beauty elegantly lies on its simplicity. TEP's flag is simply too complicated and clustered to earn my vote for this match although it isn't too far off.
MAJOR OVERHAUL ONGOING

Vaspelia
Attaché

Founded: Mar 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaspelia » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:16 am

aaaaaaaaaaaay. I forgot about my Flag. Sorry about that. GG tho PS. Ok on the voting at hand, gonna pick GC. I agree TEP's one is too complex and i have my doubts how it would look from afar, maybe using a more yellow-y yellow for it?.
La Unión de Vaspelia
hispanic savannan directorate with sino-japanese-inspired cultural and philosophical elements. That's the plan.
this nation is wip and raw as fuck, pls don't look at it yet
but i appreciate TGs, no matter asking about my ideas for vaspelia or just to hang out
no ns stats here brah
The F7-Supremacist Zoomer that the Globalists and Reds warned you about
You may win all debates, but you shall never win happiness
add 1685 posts
you can call me eru baby
in NS since 01/10/2016
listen to this song

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:04 am

Star-Flame Eagle (by Greater Cosmicium) defeats The East Pacific 16-7.
Congratulations on taking down an entire region, Greater Cosmicium!
Top 128 Match 60
Fedele vs Pencil Sharpeners 2

Fedele
Credit to Fedele - not made or used by Newark Aristocracy.

Pencil Sharpeners 2
The black symbolises the black fur on pandas. The white symbolises the white fur on pandas. The panda in the centre symbolises pandas.

My opinion: PS2's flag is immediately weakened by its use of gradients (which IMO should almost never be used on flags) and the over-detailed panda. However, Fedele's flag strikes me as boring, and I don't like the color combination either - green, white, and black do not work together on this flag. Pencil Sharpeners 2 has a very amusing description and an interesting design, so I think it will receive my vote despite the gradient.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

Onfande
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 06, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Onfande » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:34 am

Pencil Sharpeners 2 has a nice flag, but, agreeing with Cosmic Mainframe, gradients should not be used in a flag.
I don't see the panda on their flag as over decorated, as many real life nations have a design in the center which could be counted as complicated (Bhutan, Cambodia, Spain, Portugal, etc.)

Fedele's flag, on the other hand, just does not suit me. The color combination, although unique, doesn't really god together. I'd instead just have a black base with the white fleur de lis. But, that is just my opinion.

This round, I am voting for PS2.
[put something here eventually]

Paradeavenlisian States
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Paradeavenlisian States » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:52 am

Which nation's flag, between Fedele and Pencil Sharpeners 2, will I vote for?

Simplicity:For Fedele's flag, it does have a relatively simplistic layout as its comprised of a green triangle dividing the two black triangles with a fleur de lis in the centre of the design. However, the fleur de lis is an exception to the design and looks a little complicated although that is pretty much the case for all fleur de lises to the very least and it does at least look distinguishable and clear enough to make out. PS2's flag is very simplistic in my opinion as its design exhibits a symmetrical cross and a panda's face. And personally, I don't think the panda's face is excessively detailed to the point where it is hard to draw. In fact, I'd say it is relatively easy to draw out. What does take away from the simplicity, however, is the gradient. In terms of who wins in the simplicity category depends. If we are including the gradient then Fedele's flag wins honestly. But without it, I'd say PS2's flag takes this one as a panda's face is way easier to draw than a fleur de lis.

Originality:As for originality, while the design layout and colours of Fedele's flag are unique on their own right, the fleur de lis certainly isn't and has been found on many variations/adaptations of the French flag (both IRL and on NS). As for PS2's flag, while the colour scheme has been featured in many flags, the meaning of the colours and design as well as the panda's head are completely unique and have never been featured on any other flag. Henceforth, it's pretty clear to me that PS2's flag is more original since it has made a far more distinguishing use of symbolism.

Colour Scheme:For the colour scheme, the colour scheme of Fedele's flag don't really work too well together in my opinion and honestly don't look that appealing together either. Personally, I would have preferred it if the green and black were swapped while keeping the fleur de lis or have had the white replace the green, the green replacing the black and the black replacing the white. PS2's colours, on the other hand, work quite well together and are quite striking which is rare for a black and white colour scheme. Not only that, but both colours of black and white work well in conveying the meaning and aesthetic of a panda-themed nation. Therefore, I'm, once again, giving this one to PS2 as they are not only more appealing in regards to their use but are also more meaningful and more effective in carrying the concept of the nation.

Design:In terms of design, Fedele's flag design is a bit mediocre to be honest and it does look a bit boring frankly, probably due to the fact that there isn't really anything strikingly enough to be that memorable although it does at least look recognisable from a distance. Personally, I'd prefer it if there were two triangles on the bottom corners and shrink the rest of the design to fit the two additional triangles while still having the fleur de lis in the centre. In regards to PS2's flag, the design does look quite striking, in comparison to its counterpart, and is at least very memorable and recognisable at same time, especially due to the panda's face which is probably one of the more memorable symbols I've ever seen on flag. Not to mention, the flag does have some decent composition. It isn't without its problems though. For one, the gradient really ruins the design of the flag, doing it no justice while ruining the strikeness factor of the flag and, frankly, it should definitely be removed as a gradient would pretty much ruin almost, if not, every flag and their flag, especially, is no exception. And secondly, I feel like the black stripe on the top seems to be a little off in my opinion as I'm pretty certain that, judging by the ears and circular shape of the panda's face, the black stripe on the top doesn't seem to be touching the edge of panda's face in the way that the other stripes of the cross do. Henceforth, I think the black stripe at the top should be a bit longer. Regardless of this though, while both flags exhibit perfect symmetry, I think PS2's flag has the superior design as it is, at least, appealing and striking to the point where it is memorable, none of which seem to be applicable in the case of Fedele's flag.

Realism:In regards to realism, Fedele's flag does look decently realistic due to the overall layout and composition of the flag and it could fit quite well as a French flag although maybe more so for a French provincial flag rather than a national flag. As for PS2's flag, it really doesn't look that realistic at all, even for a real world flag, for several reasons. For one, the gradient obviously would make it feel a bit weird when mixed with real world flags. And secondly, the panda's face, both in terms of the style in which it is designed and the fact that it is featuring wouldn't really work well as a real world flag, especially for the vast majority of nations that don't have pandas and even for the one that does (China), it really wouldn't work that well at all. So, for once, I'm giving this to Fedele's flag since it does at least have some features in its design that some real world flags do have which can enable it to work well among them, to a certain extent.

Verdict:Overall, winning in 4/5 of the categories above, at least within my point of view, my vote goes to PS2's flag since it does have a striking design, which is also surprisingly the case for the colours, coupled with great appeal and charm, a rather amusing meaning and it has a decent balance of memorabilia and recognition from a distance. Fedele's flag is simply just too lacking in appeal in regards to the design, its colours don't work that well together and it just doesn't have the wow factor that is enough to make it striking nor appealing.

Hmmm... right now, its looking like its gonna be yet another tie. But let's see if a last minute vote strikes before that can happen...
Last edited by Paradeavenlisian States on Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
MAJOR OVERHAUL ONGOING

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:11 am

Fedele ties with Pencil Sharpeners 2 11-11.
That's right, another tie! Congratulations to both submitters. We'll break this tie rather soon at the beginning of the top 64.

Top 128 Match 61
Astoria - Alternate vs Sildorian Empire

Astoria - Alternate
  • This flag has the same features as the official flag; however, the semicircle of stars have been replaced with the national coat of arms, which depict the original four states of the federation.

Sildorian Empire

My opinion: I prefer Sildorian Empire's flag here - it's simple and elegant, with good colors. Astoria's main flag could also be described as such, but this variation does not have that merit to the same extent; the coat of arms, while well designed, doesn't fit well onto the flag.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

Deltia-
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Deltia- » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:49 am

I like the Sildorian Empire's. It's color scheme is good and the symbol is in the center, making it pleasing to the eyes.
Federal Kingdom of Deltia | Bundskongsriik Deltie
A PMT right-leaning liberal democracy in OTL Poland that's somewhat Germanic culturally and under a nominal constitutional monarchy with mecha-cops, quasi-workfare, and a very fast-growing economy with blackjack (and hookers!)
Overview | Monarch | Riikskanzler | Parties
(29/03/2022)Der Weld: Far-right terrorist in Kyoto stabs 8 |Now Playing:easy life - nightmares 
Stocks: ADV 35 - +0.2%|CAC- +0.6%|FTSE- +0.4%|DAX- +0.3%
A 13.4 civilization, according to this index.(Tier: 7|Level: 2|Type: 5)
Each good reply, Alisa will gain 1% sanity. Counting: -20
YL/AL thing for me
Vanquish the summerposters!
No NS stats
ADV 35=Deltian stock index

Paradeavenlisian States
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Paradeavenlisian States » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:29 am

Which nation's flag, between Astoria's Alt and Sildorian Empire, will I vote for?

Simplicity:For Astoria's Alternate flag, while the intersecting stripes and most sections of the coat of arms do look decently simplistic, the flower on, what I perceive to be, the Tyrald section is a bit detailed for the centre of it, making it a little complicated. On the other hand, Sildorian Empire's flag maintains consistent simplicity throughout every single aspect of the flag from the pale and bands to even the central symbol and, as such, can easily be drawn by a kid. Henceforth, it's pretty clear that Sildorian Empire's flag is by far the more simplistic of the two flags due to its sheer consistency throughout the flag and the fact that their symbol is always going to be more simplistic than most, if not, any coat of arms.

Originality:As for originality, this is a little hard to decide. While Astoria's Alt flag does have quite a unique layout and coat of arms, the colours are pretty standard in terms of originality especially when considering the fact that the red, white and blue colour scheme of Astoria's flag (both main and alt) are also the three most used colours on a real world flag, both collectively and individually. Sildorian Empire's flag has the complete opposite strengths and weaknesses when it comes to originality with its completely distinguishing use of colours and central symbol, in contradiction to its layout which shares some similarities with the Suriname flag and a few others. Therefore, I will have to narrowly give this to Astoria's Alt flag, purely on the basis of a more unique layout.

Colour Scheme:For the colour scheme, the colour scheme of Astoria's Alt does work quite well in a similar way to how they work in Astoria's main flag. Not to mention, they do give off quite an in-depth meaning to the point where they would easily fit for a flag like Astoria's. The colours on the coat of arms do also work quite well too. My only issue with the colour scheme is maybe the way in which the blue is used in the coat of arms, specifically in regards to the different shades of blue used in the four original provincial sections. Personally, I would have the shade of blue on the Palktyffian and Victorian sections be the same shade of blue as the Onsteylian and Tyraldian sections as well as the background as a way to emphasize a common sort of Astorian identity, values and desire for unification (depending on what your nation's history turns out to be). For Sildorian Empire's flag, the colours of green, gold and white work very well in a way that is striking and intriguing at the same time. Not to mention, having the yellow be used for the central symbol makes the flag feel quite memorable to me. Personally, I would prefer it if either the two bands at the top and bottom or the pale in the middle were either purple or dark blue as a way to emphasize the space aesthetic of the nation but I don't have any other problems with the colour scheme of Sildorian Empire's flag. Judging from this, as vividly striking as both colour schemes are, I personally think Sildorian Empire's flag

Design:In terms of design, Astoria's Alt flag does, again, retain the appeal and strikeness of the intersecting stripes on the left that its Main counterpart exhibits. However, frankly, the same can't be said for the coat of arms, specifically the way in which they have been incorporated. For instance, while the coat of arms is well-designed as a whole, the edges of the coat of arms are quite inconsistent with some white on the bottom right even though the section that it touches doesn't have any white, while other parts of the edges have no white whatsoever. This inconsistency also ruins the otherwise crisp and clean design of the Astorian Alt's flag, especially when the star arranged symbol that it replaces are as clean and crisp as the rest of the design. Henceforth, I'd personally recommend to have either a consistently thicker white outline on the shield or simply get rid of the white on the edges of the shield entirely. In regards to Sildorian Empire's flag, not only do I love the consistent symmetry displayed across the entire layout but it also has excellent composition, a good layout and, to top it all off, a superb central symbol as a way to represent the futuristic vibe as well as the economic and technological progress throughout the nation. All of these features make the design quite easy to recognize from a distance while being extremely memorable at the same time along with consistent cleanliness and crispness. As a result, I'm easily going for Sildorian Empire's flag as the superior design as it has consistent cleanliness and crispness to the design, excellent composition and I love the vibes and aesthetic that it gives off, both of which please my eyes.

Realism:In regards to realism, this is probably the hardest category to decide on. While Astoria's Alt flag does have very grounded colours and coat of arms (mostly) that could easily blend as a real world flag, it does share the same problem as its Main counterpart in regards to realism as the intersecting stripes on the left do feel more suited for an airline logo than a national flag. But, besides from that and, of course, the inconsistent coat of arms' outline issue, everything else does feel grounded in reality and it does give off a modern vibe. Comparatively, Sildorian Empire's flag does also have relatively grounded colours and especially grounded layout. However, the main (and only) issue about the realism of the flag is the futuristic vibe that the central symbol gives off which wouldn't blend in too well as a modern RL world flag. On that basis, Astoria's Alt flag wins the realism category purely due to the modern vibes that it gives off.

Verdict:Overall, winning in 3/5 of the categories above, at least within my point of view, my vote goes to Sildorian Empire's flag because the layout just feels more grounded, the colours and composition are just excellent, and, to top it all of, the central symbol really brings out the character from the flag and acts as the cherry on top in regards to its meaning, ease of recognition and memorabilia. Astoria's Alt flag just has too inconsistent edges in some areas and colours that may be a little too standard to really earn my vote.
MAJOR OVERHAUL ONGOING

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:09 am

Sildorian Empire defeats Astoria - Alternate 21-3.
Congratulations to Sildorian Empire. Astoria's final submission is next.

Top 128 Match 62
Czisra (by Astoria) vs Azania - Main Flag

Czisra
  • The alternating white & blue ribbons represent the Stečé river, popularly described as its "national" river.
  • The white background represents the people's desire for happiness.
  • The symbol in the flag's hoist represents the Žamij monument in Strámat'sthe capital Kábraj Square; before 1990, a hammer-and-sickle symbol took the place of the red star at the top.

Azania - Main flag

My opinion: Although it doesn't strike me as unique in comparison to other African flags, I prefer Azania's flag here. Czisra has some merit too, but the "monument" on Czisra's flag looks odd, especially with the way the colors are mixed and the thin circles.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

Paradeavenlisian States
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Paradeavenlisian States » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:05 am

Which nation's flag, between Azania's and Czisra's, will I vote for?

Simplicity:For Azania's Flag, the design is quite simplistic, comprising of a pall with the fess bisecting the chevron and with two stripes dividing the background of the design. Czisra's flag is also relatively simplistic comprising of the white and blue ribbons at the bottom and the Žamij monument symbol comprising of an extremely thinned out isoceles triangle, two circles with an outline surrounding both of them and a star at the top. The almost similar levels of simplicity exhibited on both flags makes it a little hard to decide on which is more simplistic but I'm giving the edge to Azania's flag on this one as I'm pretty sure it's easier for a kid to draw a pall than a seven-ribboned pattern although that could just be me.

Originality:As for originality, it is already pretty obvious that Azania's flag shares quite a bit of a resemblance with the South African flag both in terms of layout and the colour scheme. In fact, the only differences that it has with the South African Flag is the fact that the orange replaces the red at the top, although even then the orange is used in a similar way to the Union of South African flag, and the fact that the fess aspect of the pall is bisecting the chevron (with the orange outline following the bisecting fess). On the other hand, while Czisra's flag does exhibit the waves which are shared by other flags such as Kiribati and Cascadia, the rest of the design is quite unique, especially the monument. Not only does the monument itself exhibit a relatively unique design but monuments are rarely, if at all, featured on flags, especially within this simplicity, and while the colours, by themselves, aren't that unique, the way they are used and implemented certainly is. Henceforth, it's pretty obvious that Czisra's flag is far more original due to the rare featuring of a monument and the rather distinguishing manner in which the colours are used.

Colour Scheme:For the colour scheme, I find the colour scheme of Azania to be quite fitting, both in terms of aesthetic and the concept in which it is trying to execute. For instance, while the colour scheme may be a bit top similar to that of South Africa's, it does, at least, try and make up for that by executing the South African aesthetic and the concept of a virtually non-existent apartheid South African alternate timeline excellently. Not to mention, the colours work quite well together in my opinion and aren't too contrasting nor too mixing with each other. I do, however, think there are ways to maintain the South African aesthetic while distinguishing the colours further from the real South African flag. For starters, you could, perhaps, try and have the green on the bottom stripe and the blue for the pall, if that does turn out to look equally as good, if not better (although I'm not entirely sure whether or not they would work to that standard if that change was implemented). If they don't, then maybe try and change the shades of blue and green accordingly to their implementation to make them more suitable on where they are. If they still don't, then you could perhaps have it so that the black is implemented on the pall, the gold for the entirety of the pale outline, replace the orange on the top with red and have either green or blue for the chevron. For the colour that isn't included in the chevron, it could be used for the bottom stripe. That way, you can use some Pan African colours while maintaining that South African aesthetic that you are going for. If that still doesn't work, then I don't have anything to say to improve the colours without completely overhauling the design, making it less distinguishable to the real South African flag, or making them less fitting with each other.

For Czisra's colour scheme, I feel like the colours used on the ribbons is pretty much in terms of reflecting the Stečé river. In regards to the monument, the colour scheme and implementation is relatively decent although I'm not a huge fan of the yellow monument with the white background, which is the biggest problem I have with the colour scheme. And speaking of the white background, in reference to the meaning provided, I'm not entirely sure if white is the best colour in terms of portraying the happiness that the people desire unless that's purely due to cultural perception of the people with them viewing white as a symbol of happiness. If that isn't the case, then I feel like yellow or orange would be more fitting purely in regards to the connotation of happiness although that would hide the layout of the monument and even if the monument had an outline, then it would still feel a bit weird amongst a background of orange/yellow. Regardless of that though, the white background does give off a bit of emptiness and, for some reason, it's implementation does feel a bit weird. To fix these problems, I'd say either have the monument be orange instead of yellow, to be less overblending with the white background, have the background be replaced by green as I feel like that would be the most fitting colour for the background in this case (in regards to conveying the feeling of happiness besides from yellow and orange while still having a decent use of implementation.

Overall, in spite of both flags have some sort of flaws in regards to the colour scheme, whether that is the over resemblance to another flag or just feeling a little bit out of place in terms of implementation, I firmly think that Azania's flag has the superior colour scheme as the colours just feel more grounded in regards to implementation and feel more fitting and appealing. I also feel like the colours simply give off a better desired aesthetic both to the creator of this flag and to my eyes.

Design:In terms of design, again, just like the colour scheme in which it faces similar pros and cons, Azania's design does look quite well-designed in all honesty with the only potentially off-putting aspect of their design perhaps being the fess bisecting the chevron although I personally don't think it's excessively such. Not to mention, in spite of (again) the resemblance to its real life counterpart, it does, like the colours, give off quite a good South African aesthetic to it. However, like the colour scheme, I do think there are ways to distinguish the design further while maintaining or even improving the South African aesthetic. For one, I feel like the bisected chevron should be merged together like RL South Africa's. Now, as weird as that may seem, considering what I've said earlier on, you will see the point I'm going for as it's linked the second recommendation. And speaking of which, secondly, within the unified chevron, I feel like there should be a national icon on your flag and, considering, the aesthetic and concept you are going for, I think the best symbol that you could put on the unified chevron is a springbok either white or gold, although preferably gold in this circumstance. Not only would it strongly add some distinctive, graceful and elegant South African character to it, but it would prove to be a major boost in distinguishing the flag from the South African flag. Thirdly, you could maybe remove the gold stripes especially if using a golden springbok symbol but I don't really have much of a problem with them by themselves to be honest so I don't mind either way. And fourthly, maybe pull back the pall a little too the right so that the bases of the extensions of the pall are at the very centre to make room for implementing the springbok (if you are going for the second recommendation).

As for Czisra's flag, I do say that the design does certainly have some pretty decent potential while the blue and white ribbons, the monument and the meaning behind these features with the waves and in-depth meaning behind the features being a particular strong point for this flag's design. However, like its counterpart, I do think there are a few flaws with the design, mostly in regards to the monument. Firstly, the general design of the monument itself. Considering the fact that the blue and white ribbons represent the Stečé river, I'm not entirely certain whether Czisra is landlocked or if it does have direct access to the sea. If it is the former though, then, quite frankly, the monument feels more like something that would be out at sea, for some reason, due to its (albeit extremely vague) resemblance to a lighthouse but I feel like it has a stronger resemblance to something else that is out at sea though I can't pinpoint what exactly. Secondly, I feel like the features on the monument just feel a bit... well, small for my liking? This is especially the case for the star at the top and the outline of the two circles. Thirdly, I don't know why but I feel like the monument is a little bit too thin for my liking. And fourthly, the positioning of the monument itself just feels a bit off-putting and, considering the layout of the monument, pretty much ruins and misses out on a perfect opportunity to achieve a sense of symmetry as well as other potential metaphorical elements that could be brought out from the flag. To fix these issues, I would have the monument shifted to the centre of the design to not only give off perfect symmetry but also a sense of character and, depending on the IC history behind the nation/province or whatever it is (I'm assuming that's a province or some other administrative division), it could even really bring out and emphasize some historical and cultural significance that the monument has or symbolises. It would also make the flag more striking, recognisable and memorable. I would also have the star be bigger to bring out some more relevance to the monument and have the outlines of the circles be a little thicker(maybe shorten the height of the monument a little if necessary). It could also have the monument be a little thicker.

Considering this, I just feel that Azania's flag has the superior design compared to Czisra's flag mainly because the proportions of the flag's features are consistently less off-putting than Czisra's (especially the features on the monument). Not to mention, I feel like the design of Azania's design has a better, more consistent sense of balance due to its use of horizontal symmetry.

Realism:In regards to realism, for me, personally, I feel like it really depends on the context in which Azania's flag is being compared to with real world flags, especially with South Africa's. If we are taking into account the South African flag, then the sheer resemblance of Azania's flag with it just doesn't really do Azania much favours in the realism spectrum. Sure it could be used as an hypothetically independent Cape Town or West Cape but the sheer similarities in layout, composition and colours still wouldn't help it much. Yes, there are other real world flags that do look similar to each other but they usually involve either double banded or tribanded designs, both of which are quite standard and can have quite some colour variations and for the case of a design as unique as South Africa's, I just don't see the resemblances being that realistic (unless its a historical variation of it of course). However, if South Africa's flag was excluded for reasons, then Azania's flag does actually look quite grounded in reality both in regards to layout and colours (arguably one of the more grounded-in-reality flags in NS on that basis) and I feel like it could also work and suit well for its alternate timeline and another where in which the Dutch hadn't abandoned their Cape Colony where Azania would gain independence from.

For Czisra's flag though, the way in which the colours are implemented as well as the layout, proportions and positioning of the monument don't really emanate that much realism to be frank. Sure, the blue and white waves are familiar and do help emanate some extent of realism but it really isn't enough to mitigate or fill in the realism hole of the flag provided by the unequal emptiness on the right side of the flag and the rather ironic proportions of the monument's features

Bearing that in mind, as I said before, the one that takes the realism category again depends on the context in which Azania's flag is being compared to. If we are taking South Africa's flag into account, then I'm narrowly giving this one to Czisra's flag since the resemblances are at least not too overbearing. If South Africa's flag isn't taking into account, then I'm giving this one to Azania's due to its more grounded colours and layout as well as its comparatively lack of off-putting aspects in its flag.

Verdict:Overall, frankly, it was a little hard to determine who my vote shall go to. However, as tempting as Azania's strong resemblances to the South African flag may be in favouring Czisra's flag (which seems to be most voters at the moment), winning in 4 or 3/5 of the categories above (depending on what you are considering for the realism aspect), at least within my point of view, my vote goes to Azania's flag because as much as Azania's flag can be confused with South Africa, it can also bring some good elements to it in regards to its concept and aesthetic especially if its lore is based on an alternate history on that specific country, which seems to be the case for Azania's. So frankly, I'm generally fine with the resemblances as long as they don't go to overboard with it. And while the flag doesn't do an absolute perfect, spot-on job on that regard or maintaining the perfect balance in striking a strong South African flag aesthetic of it with the distinctiveness of its original starting base for its design, it does do a good effort in doing so and I wouldn't say its the worst it could possibly do in doing so. Not to mention, it does have some pretty great composition, a much more balanced design than Czisra's and lack of off-putting aspects in its flag, at least comparatively to its counterpart. Czisra's flag, while it definitely does have potential to really bring in some character and is distinctive enough, does feel a bit off-putting and unbalanced in some areas, too much so to really earn my vote
Last edited by Paradeavenlisian States on Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
MAJOR OVERHAUL ONGOING

Vaspelia
Attaché

Founded: Mar 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaspelia » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:35 pm

I see the attempt on Azania's flag, but the current rl South African flag did this same thing of mixing up previous historical flags. Czisra's may be a bit too complex, i like the attempt of putting the mounment on the flag, could make someone say "hmm, what monument is that and what's for?". My vote is for Czisra.
La Unión de Vaspelia
hispanic savannan directorate with sino-japanese-inspired cultural and philosophical elements. That's the plan.
this nation is wip and raw as fuck, pls don't look at it yet
but i appreciate TGs, no matter asking about my ideas for vaspelia or just to hang out
no ns stats here brah
The F7-Supremacist Zoomer that the Globalists and Reds warned you about
You may win all debates, but you shall never win happiness
add 1685 posts
you can call me eru baby
in NS since 01/10/2016
listen to this song

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:55 am

Czisra (by Astoria) defeats Azania - Main Flag 16-9.
Congratulations to Astoria on securing two places in the top 64.

Top 128 Match 63
The Perpetual Peace - Main Flag vs Bloodshade

Submissions are now completely closed. The matchups for the top 64 have been announced - competitors, check Upcoming Rounds to see who you have been matched against!

The Perpetual Peace - Main Flag

Bloodshade
The flag of Bloodshade is a representation of the plight of the Bloodshadian people: A mixture of refugees consisting of humans, elves, dwarfs and vampires who sailed an interstellar ark ship, 'Erebus', in order to find a paradise of their own amidst the stars, after the cataclysmic 'War of Woes' brought about extreme instability to their former homeworld's tectonic plates, enabling it to be plagued by volcanic eruptions and earthquakes until it would eventually blow up, exterminating all life along with its death. Now then, onto the meaning behind the flag which I shall go into detail. The colours and emblem on the flag represent a myriad of meanings:

• The light blue is a representation of the perseverance of the Bloodshadian people as they travelled the black null void of space in order to find a place which they can finally call home. Some believe that it signifies the liberation of the people from the shackles of tradition and ancient grudges, joining in a common struggle to finally grant future generations a planet that they can call home, free from hazardous bigotry and xenophobia.
  • The blood-red aspect is an extremely significant part of the flag as it is supposed to immortalize those whose blood was spilt in the unfortunate 'War of Woes' and in the pursuit of a new home-world, currently named Tejon. The people of Bloodshade are not ones to shy away from conflict because they have everything to lose. Tejon is their home and they refuse to allow anyone to snatch that from them.
  • The white should represent the purity and innocence of the Bloodshadians as they roamed the galaxy in the hopes of settling down. They were a substantial collection of plucky, desperate survivors that simply wanted another chance at life, hoping that fate would be a merciful mistress for once. At their lowest point, they were finally of one heart and mind.
  • The 'Vega Eagle', named after the brightest star in Lyra, is supposed to represent the burning sensation in the souls of the Bloodshadians as they soar across the void of space. To them, the 'Vega Eagle' is a sign of hope, courage and regal power. Your typical eagle is known to be able to travel for 255 miles a day during its migration period, showcasing its determination and zeal. Coincidentally, the people have Bloodshade spent many years on the interstellar ark ship known as 'Erebus', neither stopping nor resting until they could settle down in greener pastures.
  • As for the bundle of arrows, officially, it is supposed to acknowledge the power being wielded the Vega Eagle. Some say it is a or should be a representation of the the militaristic nature of their people but most found this unofficial meaning to be rather traumatic and malicious in nature, considering the 'War of Woes' is still a rather fresh memory. Others claim that the 'three arrows' is a sign of resistance against the ancient ideologies that had resulted in the destruction of the Bloodshadian's original home planet. Those ideologies being ethnic nationalism, communism and absolute monarchism.
  • Simply put, the thunderbolt is a divine weapon. It is supposed to represent the instantaneous retributive destruction that Bloodshade could wreak upon its rival if its people were angered or wronged. Despite the depressing turn of events due to the 'War of Woes', this has only created stronger men and women that will rabidly protect what they believe is dear to them.

My opinion: I find Bloodshade's flag to be the more interesting - and arguably the superior - of the two flags here. It has excellent color choice, and the "Vega Eagle" holding the arrows and thunderbolt, while reminiscent of the American Eagle, is still very unique to Bloodshade. I don't have much against The Perpetual Peace's flag either, although the contrast could be improved and Bloodshade has better symbols.

The matchups for the top 64 have been announced! Check who you have been matched against here:
Top 64 Match 1: Three-way match: Jianghu (by The Perpetual Peace) vs Rusoyuz (by New Solaurora) vs Ensholm (by New Spiedska)
Top 64 Match 2: Three-way match: Ialvarith (by Khoronzon) vs Fedele vs Pencil Sharpeners 2
Top 64 Match 3: Duolin - Midnight (by Diarcesia) vs The Perpetual Peace - Alternate
Top 64 Match 4: Astoria - Main flag vs The Albalian Kingdom (by Fallen Albali)
Top 64 Match 5: Sahyun - Vermilion Sky (by Vidinaz) vs South Reinkalistan - Main Flag
Top 64 Match 6: Northern Federation (by Greater Cosmicium) vs Dyota-Metura Province (by Onocarcass)
Top 64 Match 7: Paradeavenlisian States - Main Flag vs New Spiedska - Main Flag
Top 64 Match 8: South Pacific (by Drongonia) vs Star-Flame Eagle (by Greater Cosmicium)
Top 64 Match 9: Kycci Province (by Onocarcass) vs Duolin - Honor and Legacy (by Diarcesia)
Top 64 Match 10: Third ZSeparatists vs Libstasia (by Drongonia)
Top 64 Match 11: Albion (by Sildorian Empire) vs Greenwichian Arcadia
Top 64 Match 12: True New England Commonwealth (by Dukin Donuts) vs Satra (by New Spiedska)
Top 64 Match 13: Lura vs Alanis Star (by Valentine Z)
Top 64 Match 14: Esceanian Union (by Paradeavenlisian States) vs The Albali Republic (by Fallen Albali)
Top 64 Match 15: Vidinaz - Star of Discovery vs Ssejekistan (by Voxija)
Top 64 Match 16: Nova City (by New Solaurora) vs Winner of Match 63
Top 64 Match 17: Paradeavenlisian States - Alternate vs Mountainia Region (by Onfande)
Top 64 Match 18: Parthenia (by Greenwichian Arcadia) vs Onfande
Top 64 Match 19: Megia (by Apabeossie) vs Azania - Alternate
Top 64 Match 20: North German Realm (by Sildorian Empire) vs Samantha-Higgs (by Valentine Z)
Top 64 Match 21: United Republic of Yugoslavia (by Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum) vs Barfleur
Top 64 Match 22: Huktharia (by Thakia) vs Loveday (by Apabeossie)
Top 64 Match 23: Bryttonia (by Thakia) vs Solaurora (by New Solaurora)
Top 64 Match 24: Six Lunar Duchies (by Glurponia) vs Garden at 6th Mile Road (by Valentine Z)
Top 64 Match 25: Norcott - Alternate (by Drongonia) vs Zeptov Province (by Onocarcass)
Top 64 Match 26: Apabeossie vs Trymia (by Thakia)
Top 64 Match 27: Czisra (by Astoria) vs Onocarcass
Top 64 Match 28: Duolin - Daylight (by Diarcesia) vs Winner of Match 64
Top 64 Match 29: Paradisia Heavenlonia Stralisia Union (by Paradeavenlisian States) vs Fifth Imperial Remnant (by Dukin Donuts)
Top 64 Match 30: Greater Cosmicium - Eagle-Star Cross vs Fars - Beneficent Trinity (by Vidinaz)
Top 64 Match 31: Drongonia - Alternate vs Two-Oh-Four (by Dukin Donuts)
Top 64 Match 32: Sildorian Empire vs Hiems - Old Main Flag
Further matchups will be announced during Top 64 Match 26 at the earliest.
Last edited by The Cosmic Mainframe on Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

Paradeavenlisian States
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Paradeavenlisian States » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:39 am

Which nation's flag, between The Perpetual Peace and Bloodshade, will I vote for?

Simplicity:For simplicity, TPP's flag does have quite a simplistic design as the only features that it seems to exhibit is a white background and what appears to be a blue pixelated sun. For the most part, both of these features do at least exhibit some sort of simplicity although the fact that the sun is pixelated may or may not make it harder to draw than a non-pixelated sun, depending on who you ask.

Bloodshade's flag comprises of a cyan blue background and red fess with white outlines. For the centre of Bloodshade's flag, there is an emblem which further consists of a diamond-shaped white outline and a ''Vega'' eagle clutching a bundle of arrows and a thunderbolt in its talons. As a whole, the overall layout of Bloodshade's flag doesn't really have any features that could potentially be tough for a child to draw, until we reach the central emblem, that is. All of the main features inside the emblem (the eagle clutching the bundle of arrows and thunderbolt), could potentially be pretty hard for a child to draw due to the sheer detail of the eagle in particular.

Henceforth, I feel like that it's pretty obvious to consider TPP's as the more simplistic of the two flags because their central symbol has far less detail, especially considering the fact that it is pixelated, and that it, along with the layout as a whole, has far less features and symbols included in the design than Bloodshade's flag.

Originality:As for originality, TPP's flag is very much original, in terms of aesthetic, reflected concept and use of symbolism. For example, not only are the colours themselves, specifically the shade of blue, as well as the way in which they are implemented (blue is usually used as a background colour but it is not the case for TPP's flag), but also the symbolism itself simply due to the fact that it is pixelated (which is seldom seen on any flag) and the aesthetic in which it gives off.

Bloodshade's colours, despite the rather distinguishing shade of blue, are a bit standard as the red, blue and white trio is pretty much the most common tricolour scheme that could possibly be featured on a flag. However, the overall layout definitely does present some distinctiveness to it, specifically the diamond-shaped emblem when most emblems that are featured on flags are circular. However, speaking of emblem, the ''Vega'' eagle does retain some similarities to the eagle featured on the US seal but also some rather distinct differences. For example, while it does retain some elements in the form of its layout to the USAS's eagle and has a similarly designed bundle of arrows, there are certainly some unique aspects such as the details of the wings and head as well as the featuring of a thunderbolt on the left talon on the eagle. Not to mention, those extra details, along with the aesthetic it gives off definitely allows it to retain some form of uniqueness to the nation of Bloodshade.

Therefore, despite certain details of the Bloodshade flag that definitely shine in uniqueness, I'm still giving this one to TPP's flag because it exhibits more consistency when it comes to its uniqueness in all of its features from the overall layout to the aesthetic and symbolism.

Colour Scheme:For the colour scheme, the colour scheme of TPP's flag is strikingly excellent when it comes to executing the tranquil and peaceful aesthetic of the nation of The Perpetual Peace. However, the colour scheme of light blue and white isn't really the best when it comes to maintaining a balance between contrasting and blending colours. Personally, I would darken the blue a bit but not too much so that it makes it clearer to see the symbol in ''all of its glory''.

Comparatively, Bloodshade's flag has made some really solid use of its colour scheme of red, white and blue. Not only that, but the colours maintain a good balance between contrasting and blending. In addition, the colours strike out as being memorable and very recognisable at the same time. They also execute the concept and desired aesthetic quite well In fact, they are so visually appealing and balanced that I, frankly, can't think of anywhere to improve them in all honesty.

As a result, I think Bloodshade's flag has the superior colours simply because they stand out as more balanced, striking, memorable and just downright more meaningful to the flag as well as to the overall nation in my opinion.

Design:In terms of the design, TPP's design does give off an intriguing aesthetic that fits the concept of the nation quite well together. Not to mention, I do quite like the fact that the symbol in the centre allows the flag to be symmetrical in pretty much every conceivable form and it does give off some tranquil, calm and peaceful character to the flag which could also represent the true national values of The Perpetual Peace. However, even with the pixelated symbol within the design, it does give off a tad bit of emptiness to it due to the white background.

This, however, isn't really the case for Bloodshade's flag who has a very neat, tidy and organised design that is equally as memorable and recognisable as and works wells with the flag's colours, both in terms of aesthetic and execution of concept. Not only that, but the excellent composition and layout of the flag really gives off the sensation of strength, will and resilience in achieving something, all of which could potentially be Bloodshadian values considering the desired concept in which they are going for. In fact, just like the colours, considering how grounded the layout looks, I honestly have no problem with the design.

Bearing that in mind, I think Bloodshade's flag has, by far, the superior design since it just feels more intriguing, grounded and it simply has much better composition and, for some reason, cleanliness.

Realism:In regards to realism, TPP's flag just doesn't feel that realistic to me, purely due to just how pixelated the central symbol, as well as the lack of detail that it exhibits. This sort of unconventionality for its symbol, along with its strange feeling of emptiness would probably make it feel weird for a real world flag. However, it could potentially suit as a flag for a Native American or Siberian flag. But other than that, I just don't see how this flag could really fit with a real world flag without looking a bit off-putting amongst them

For its counterpart, Bloodshade, their design, and especially layout, feel extremely grounded in reality and could easily blend quite well for a design of a real world flag. However, the only thing that I think may feel a little off-putting is, ironically, the colours. Maybe it's because I feel like the colours could make the Bloodshade flag fit more an global order flag than a national flag, likely due to the shade of blue used.

However, even that is not enough to stop me from thinking that Bloodshade exhibits more realism, at least as a national flag due to its very familiar yet also distinctive layout. Otherwise, it really depends on which sorts of flags you are considering. As a tribal flag, definitely TPP's flag because the pixelated symbol gives off very strong primitive vibes. As a global order flag though, I'd go for Bloodshade's flag without a doubt due to its unity-driven colours and layout.

Verdict:Overall, winning in 3/5 of the categories above, at least within my point of view, my vote goes to Bloodshade's flag as it just gives off better character in my opinion. Not to mention, it has excellent composition, very grand, balanced use of colours and layout. Not only that, but it is also more recognisable, memorable, striking and just feels far more meaningful due to the strength in which its use of symbolism carries out. TPP's flag, in spite of good execution of concept, just feels a bit too unconventional (at least for a national flag), the colours feel a little too unbalanced in the contrast-blend spectrum and the white background just evokes a layer of emptiness that is a little too much to earn my vote in this matchup.

Also, looking at my matchups, wow, a lot of them are going to be very difficult for my flags to win (there's only one in which I have the slightest confidentiality in winning) especially considering the sheer quality of my opponents' submissions. But I'm up for the challenge! :D
Last edited by Paradeavenlisian States on Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
MAJOR OVERHAUL ONGOING

Voxija
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 17, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Voxija » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:46 pm

I prefer TPP
The Republic of Voxija (pronounced: Voshiya)
I'm a woman. Some weird Jew. Trying to learn French and failing. An American who wishes the US would switch to the metric system. Part of a giant conspiracy. Secret pyromaniac? I will never make an OOC factbook!

my politics are confused and muddled
Most of my grammar errors are on purpose. Sppeling errors, tho...
I'd rather be fishing. | Author of Issues 1324 and 1346.
Generic MT liberal democracy Meh. | I think that by now I've created more lore for my nation than most real-world nations have.
Disclaimer: the views of my characters do not necessarily represent the views of the author.

Drongonia
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drongonia » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:38 pm

I really like Bloodshade's flag. I'm not too sure what specifically has me drawn to it but I am a fan.

Lura
Secretary

Founded: Oct 25, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Postby Lura » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:45 am

I prefer TPP over Bloodshade for this one, the minimalist design and the intriguing symbol are what I like in particular. The complex symbol is what hurts the other design to me.

Also, that doesn't look like a very good matchup for me in top 64. Oh well, it was fun to participate anyway and I look forward to hearing what kind of (hopefully) constructive criticism I get in a couple weeks.
The Tsardom of Lura
Sanctuary of Knowledge and Wisdom

Known for producing many vibrant, natural pigments from the flourishing environment

Pro: United Ireland, Koran Unification, EU, NATO, Taiwan, Kurdistan, Hong Kong Independence, Kosovo, Western Sahara, Australian Flag Change, Same-Sex Marriage, Renewable Energy
Anti: Russia, USA, China, Israel, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Serbia, UNSC P5 Veto, Daylight Savings, UTC+XX:30 and XX:45 Time Zones, Coal, Belarus
I recognise all UN members, Vatican City, Palestine, Taiwan, Kosovo and Western Sahara.

HMS Onslaught
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 26, 2020
Father Knows Best State

Postby HMS Onslaught » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:31 am

I prefer Bloodshade. TPP doesn't look like a flag, more like a tattoo gone wrong.
"I'll be damned if I accept your surrender!"

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:42 am

Bloodshade defeats The Perpetual Peace - Main Flag 24-3.
Congratulations, Bloodshade, and good luck in the top 64!

Top 128 Match 64
Demirestad vs The Cosmic Mainframe

Submissions are now completely closed. The matchups for the top 64 have been announced - competitors, check Upcoming Rounds to see who you have been matched against!

The Cosmic Mainframe
OOC, the symbol in the center is a reboot symbol, combining reload and shutdown symbols, based on the one from GNOME's Adwaita theme. IC, the symbol represents the Mainframe, as a computer that is constantly improving. The lines emanating from it resemble a circuitboard, showing the connectedness of the Mainframe's society both figuratively and literally, through their Mental Enhancement Units. The fact that the lines seem to emanate from a central point (the reboot symbol) also represents the Root Processors, who centrally command the Mainframe.

Demirestad

I won't give an opinion here due to a conflict of interest - my flag is competing, after all.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:05 am

Woo-hoo, last one of this bracket! All the best! :3
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

-Astoria
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:17 am

This somehow fell off my recent posts radar for the past few weeks...

Republic of Astoria | Tarain Asdair | Vasnin Astoir
Updates! | Constitution | Bill of Rights | Anthem | Lyrics | Embassy | FAQ | NS stats unused
Jul 21, 2020
✉ ABC News: Forests doing well, but climate change putting pressure on it | #musicparade: listeners choose their favourites | Refugee sews 1000 masks for his new hometown | NCP calls for aid package for companies | New evidence of large temples in Onsteyl | Weather: Footscray ☁ 14°C | Altas ☁ 16° | Esterpine ☁ 15° |  Naltgybal ☂⛆ 13° | Ceirtryn ☀ 17° | Bynscel ☁ 21° | Lyteel  ☁ 13°

A 7 civ | 9th in NSFB#1! | 10/10 by DGES | Much hope: yes.
Low-effort responses since 15/5/20: 67½ | Good responses since 20/7/20: 5

mit zuckerguß

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:21 am

-Astoria wrote:This somehow fell off my recent posts radar for the past few weeks...

I've noticed that with different threads, I think it's one of those problems where the fix is a long way away if it will ever happen.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

Paradeavenlisian States
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Paradeavenlisian States » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:48 am

Which nation's flag, between The Cosmic Mainframe and Demirestad, will I vote for?

Simplicity:For simplicity, TCM's flag is comprised of a white reboot symbol, a circuitboard, which in itself is comprised of three white lines, and a blue background, all of which are quite simplistic in their own right and shouldn't be too overly detailed nor too complicated for a child to draw.

As for Demirestad's flag, it is comprised of four sections, with top right and bottom left quarters being white and the remaining two being olive green on the top left and red on the bottom left. All four of those sections are divided by what appears to be a pixelated yellow symmetrical cross with a yellow pixelated symbol at the centre, although it is hard to tell exactly what that symbol is (maybe it's just the pixelated base of the symmetrical cross?). Regardless though, just like its tech savy counterpart, all of its features are quite simplistic as well. In fact, I'd even argue that the symbol and cross in the centre is even more simplified than a reboot symbol or a circuitboard.

Henceforth, speaking of which, as much as TCM's flag is simplistic, I'm going to give this category to Demirestad simply due to their features being more simplified than TCM's mainly as a result of the pixelated symmetrical cross(?) and central symbol as well as the way in which both of those features have been designed in regards to the detail.

Originality:As for originality, this one is a bit hard to determine. While TCM's colour scheme is, admittedly, a bit standard when it comes to that of real world flags, the design, layout and composition is a completely different matter. For instance, never has a circuitboard, reboot symbol or even anything resembling been featured on any other flag. Not only that, but the concept and aesthetic that both the colours and design bring together of a tech savy nation (figuratively and literally) is completely unlike any shown on any other flag.

Demirestad flag is also quite distinguishable in its own right. For instance, while it does feature a symmetrical cross, a feature that can be found on several real world flags, it is at least designed in a rather distinctive manner to the point where it could easily be distinguished from other symmetrical crosses of its kind. Not to mention, not many flags that features a cross (symmetrical or nordic) has the sections divided not just by the cross itself but also by the colours featured on each section. Speaking of which, this is probably the first time I've ever seen a flag use olive green within a significant implementation and the colour scheme as a whole is also quite original. And to top it all off, the flag features a rather authentic pixelated symbol at the center/base of the flag.

Therefore, I'm giving the edge to TCM because while Demirestad may have the more distinguishing colours, TCM does have a more original composition, layout, aesthetic and just the overall meaning of the flag.

Colour Scheme:For the colour scheme, the colour scheme of TCM's flag not only works together, but it is also quite fitting and aesthetically pleasing both in terms of the overall appeal and execution of the concept of an advanced, tech savvy nation. Not to mention, the colour scheme maintains a good balance in the contrast-blend scale and is implemented excellently, to its highest potential. Honestly, I can't think of any way to improve the colour scheme of their flag; its just perfectly fitting for the design.

On the other hand, Demirestad's colours, while they are definitely striking, they aren't really striking in the positive sense. For instance, the colours of white and yellow don't really go that well together as they can look a bit blinding together and I'm not the biggest fan of the olive green in all honesty. Personally, I would probably replace the white in the sections with another colour like blue maybe do the same with the cross or use purple to replace the white in the pixelated cross. I would also darken the green up to something like forest green and do the same thing with the red.

As a result, for me, TCM's flag has the superior colour scheme since it just feels more balanced and grounded, which is reflected by its good execution of concept, great implementation and is decently striking as well.

Design:In terms of the design, TCM's flag has a very neat, tidy and organised design coupled with great composition, meaningful use of symbolism, as reflected by the reboot symbol and circuitboard, and it perfectly executes the concept of an advanced, tech savvy nation just like the colours do. Add the fact that it is probably one of the most memorable and recognisable designs I've seen on any NS flag and the innovative, technologically progressive character emanated by both the reboot symbol and the circuit board and you have an excellent flag for its concept. Honestly, like the colours, I don't have any way of improving. That's how good it is.

In regards to Demirestad's flag, their design does look pretty good with some decent composition and it does have that striking factor. The only potential issue I have with this flag is maybe the central symbol which likely takes away from the groundedness of the flag's design. Still, it does has an organised layout and I do like the way in which the symmetrical cross divides the sections of the flag.

Overall, in terms of the design, I'm still giving this one to TCM's flag because their design just feels far more grounded in regards to its details and is simply more recognisable, more memorable and just downright more intriguing to my eyes.

Realism:In regards to realism, TCM's flag doesn't really feel that realistic mostly because of the aesthetic and concept that the flag is and tries to be centered around. And as no real world national flags really give off much of a digital aesthetic, it's pretty clear that TCM's flag is more suited for a flag some kind of digital-based corporation than a real world flag which is especially emphasized by the mixture of a computer-themed colour scheme and layout.

However, Demirestad's flag also doesn't really feel that realistic just don't feel grounded enough in reality to really fit in properly as a real world flag. And the same goes for the pixelated symbol at the very centre. Both of these features really make the flag more suited for a Native American flag in the Prairies than any sort of national flag.

Having said that though, I feel like Demirestad's flag is more realistic than TCM's because while the colour scheme may not be quite as grounded in reality, Demirestad's flag does at least have some recognisable features (for a flag) such as the symmetrical cross that, by themselves, could be properly implemented into a real world flag if done correctly.

Verdict:Overall, winning in 3/5 of the categories above, at least within my point of view, my vote goes to TCM's flag since both the colours and the design just feel more grounded and it simply exhibits more positively striking symbol, a neater layout, better composition and its just downright more memorable and recognisable. Demirestad's flag is simply too unbalanced coupled with colours that don't really fit well together and a not so grounded symbol in the centre.
MAJOR OVERHAUL ONGOING

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives