NATION

PASSWORD

Your opinion on a interesting fact about the AN (II)

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:39 am

Allied Iran wrote:The first years of a new royal in office often tend to show their lack of experience in many matters. It's good that old Fritz managed to get his bearing together, many royals tend not to.

While many Iranian Nationalists tend to worship Reza Shah (//OOC: who, of course, does deserve respect from a nationalist point of view for how efficiently he managed to brutally push Iran into modernity, no matter how poorly he was treated by fate afterwards), one person who is often ignored is Zaka ol-Molk -who, I suspect, is often ignored due to antisemtism, but I digress.

While many would consider Amirkabir or Qa'em Maqam as the greatest politicians in Modern Iranian history, the honor should truly go to Mohammad Ali Foroughi, also known as Zaka ol-Molk. The dude was honestly, especially for Iran, a total and complete Gary Stu. In the Qajarid Era, He fought in the Constitutional Revolution, he was a member of the Parliament for one term, the Speaker for another, the Minister of Justice (also responsible for creating the earliest Iranian Penal Code), the Minister of Foreign Affairs for two terms, the Minister of Finance for four. He was personally responsible for the transition of power from the corrupt and feable Qajarid regime to Reza Shah, and became his Prime Minister for three terms, the last of which coincided with the Shah's death and succession by his son Mohammad Reza. He wrote multiple books on law, finance, translated multiple academic books (from many, including, Descartes), and was also indirectly responsible for the creation of the State of Israel but that's irrelevant.

The last sentence makes him either a villain or someone who accidentally created the Big Bad. Either way, he sounds pretty amazing, but you need to take it up to eleven and make him even more awesome, by I dunno, giving him a mecha, superman powers, a demon familiar, or all three.

In mid January, Amenria will have an open Spring Festival/Lunar New Year RP, open to all tech levels. Those who have more awesome characters will find that they'll have to rescue a foreign dignitary from rogue Amenrian nobles. Those with more..normal tastes will have their characters safely evacuated instead.
The Empire of Amenria (亚洲帝国)
Sinocentric Asian theocratic absolute monarchy. Set 28 years in the future. On-site factbooks are no longer canon. A 13.14 civilization, according to this index.
Your guide to Amenria, organized for your convenience

Catrela
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Catrela » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:46 am

I really love a nation with good RP

Catrela is the nation with the largest Gypsy population, with over 5 million of Gypsy descent.
The United Kingdom of Catrela is a constitutional monarchy located on a large island to the southeast of the southern cone of South America.

Current monarch: Queen Sofia II (DOB: 11 December 1985, reigned 1 March 2014-)
Current prime minister: Costanzo Diodato Jiménez (DOB: 11 August 1961, served 8 January 2014-)

Due to government reform, we are currently electing a new prime minister, please review our candidates and vote:
https://www.nationstates.net/nation=cat ... id=1160129
https://linkto.run/p/BGZ1JD3A

Catrela Q&A Thread Here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=456884

Frievolk
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Frievolk » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:49 am

A m e n r i a wrote:
Allied Iran wrote:The first years of a new royal in office often tend to show their lack of experience in many matters. It's good that old Fritz managed to get his bearing together, many royals tend not to.

While many Iranian Nationalists tend to worship Reza Shah (//OOC: who, of course, does deserve respect from a nationalist point of view for how efficiently he managed to brutally push Iran into modernity, no matter how poorly he was treated by fate afterwards), one person who is often ignored is Zaka ol-Molk -who, I suspect, is often ignored due to antisemtism, but I digress.

While many would consider Amirkabir or Qa'em Maqam as the greatest politicians in Modern Iranian history, the honor should truly go to Mohammad Ali Foroughi, also known as Zaka ol-Molk. The dude was honestly, especially for Iran, a total and complete Gary Stu. In the Qajarid Era, He fought in the Constitutional Revolution, he was a member of the Parliament for one term, the Speaker for another, the Minister of Justice (also responsible for creating the earliest Iranian Penal Code), the Minister of Foreign Affairs for two terms, the Minister of Finance for four. He was personally responsible for the transition of power from the corrupt and feable Qajarid regime to Reza Shah, and became his Prime Minister for three terms, the last of which coincided with the Shah's death and succession by his son Mohammad Reza. He wrote multiple books on law, finance, translated multiple academic books (from many, including, Descartes), and was also indirectly responsible for the creation of the State of Israel but that's irrelevant.

The last sentence makes him either a villain or someone who accidentally created the Big Bad. Either way, he sounds pretty amazing, but you need to take it up to eleven and make him even more awesome, by I dunno, giving him a mecha, superman powers, a demon familiar, or all three.

In mid January, Amenria will have an open Spring Festival/Lunar New Year RP, open to all tech levels. Those who have more awesome characters will find that they'll have to rescue a foreign dignitary from rogue Amenrian nobles. Those with more..normal tastes will have their characters safely evacuated instead.

(Mohammad Ali Foroughi was a real life person, bruh. Everything I said in the post apart from "the last of which coincided with the Shah's death and succession by his son Mohammad Reza" was true, and even that is only half-untrue (because irl Reza Shah was toppled by the Allies for being neutral in ww2 and it was only by Foroughi's attempts that Iran wasn't partitioned then and there) /skip
OOC
Libertarian Constitutionalist
Part-time Anarchist
Anti-Monotheist
Iranian Nationalist
Templates
♔ The Frievolker Empire || Frievolker Kaiserreik
♔ The Realm in the Sun || De Reik in de Sonne
♔ Led by Kaiser Johann, Part of the Erstwelt
Never forget that the Muslims literally made up a new meaningless name for him when they forgot the name of Adam's Firstborn.

Hiachijan
Envoy

Founded: Jun 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Hiachijan » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:51 am

Catrela wrote:I really love a nation with good RP

Catrela is the nation with the largest Gypsy population, with over 5 million of Gypsy descent.

That's a lot of traveling folk.
Cravers are a Milky Way-based cabal of numerous species that dedicate themselves to the cooking and consumption of sentient organisms. The YC sometimes donates deceased (or live) criminals to their Andromedan stations.

They describe Faceless flesh as being "really juicy, thin, some exotic taste to it, almost like shrimp, but really damn stringy."
Last edited by Hiachijan on Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Interstellar state of a blind, music-loving race of aliens. TGs are welcomed.
[floatleft][b]Q&A

Kyneland
Envoy

Founded: Apr 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kyneland » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:01 am

What a strange society.
The Heathen Kingdom of Kyneland does not utilise the Gregorian calendar. Under the Heathen calendar, it is the year 1013. Year 1 was the year Kyneland unified under one monarch, in 1006.
Blóð ok Bróðurleikr ~ Blood & Brotherhood
Pro: Norse revivalism, pan-Scandinavianism, linguistic purism.
Anti: Abrahamism, multiculturalism, consumerism.

Leader ❚ Q&A ❚ Embassy ❚ The Kynish Language

Allied Iran
Secretary

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Allied Iran » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:02 am

Unless it uses the ancient Nordic dating system (i.e. two large seasons, no sign of months, etc.) I'd say it uses the Gregorian Calendar, but with a different Era system.

In 1921, following the Ceasefire of Paris, the Qajarid Persia sent a group of diplomats including Mohammad Ali "Zaka ol Molk" Foroughi in order to be able to get reparations and annul a number of treaties various countries in the Entente had forced on Iran in the recent History (including Russia, Britain, and France). Given the fact the "Young" states of the Central Powers had never been in that great a number of treaties with Iran and due to the fact that the Central Powers wanted to fuck up the Entente Powers as much as possible, Iran was welcomed to the peace negotiations, where many treaties between Iran and Britain, France, and Russia were annuled, which gave back to us the right to form Central Banks not dependent on Britain, returned to us control of our Oil Fields and other natural resources (i.e. Forests, Mines, etc.), gave us back a great deal of land in Central Asia (Afghanistan, Balouchistan, and Turkmenistan for example), and forced Britain to fund a Railway for us that would reach from Tabriz to Bander-e-Shah. This was a considerable victory, all things considered, but by the time Zaka ol-Molk had returned home to inform his majesty of these new gains, Ahmad Shah Qajar had given half of that back as concessions to get enough funds to go to a trip to Europe. While Zaka managed to successfully stop these from getting to Britain, this (alongside the rising rebellions in the South and the North) was perhaps one of the most important reasons Zaka ol-Molk began planning a coup and a transition of power from the Qajars to a young, more capable dynasty.
Last edited by Allied Iran on Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imperial State of PersiaKešvar-ī Šāhanšāhīh-ī Ērān
The timeline where Islam never made an impression in the Persosphere and Turks never crossed the Red Snake. Associated with Doechland
No'dad:  Ardwahištgān farrox | What is going on in Teheran University? 10,000 students, mainly undergrads, refuse to attend, or let anyone attend, classes! Student leaders give contradicting reasons for ongoing Student Sit-In! — Why has the government withdrawn from Qatar? Nationalists hold protests against 'lack of responsibility and transparency to the Persian people!' — Rockets fired at Seleucia-Ctesiphon from rebel-occupied positions in Transjordan. "Get your house in order, Prince Abd al-Waheed, before we have to get involved" - PM Dadgostar

Kyneland
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyneland » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:30 am

Yeah that’s what i meant sorry
/skip

Deltanium
Envoy

Founded: Feb 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Deltanium » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:49 pm

Allied Iran wrote:Unless it uses the ancient Nordic dating system (i.e. two large seasons, no sign of months, etc.) I'd say it uses the Gregorian Calendar, but with a different Era system.

In 1921, following the Ceasefire of Paris, the Qajarid Persia sent a group of diplomats including Mohammad Ali "Zaka ol Molk" Foroughi in order to be able to get reparations and annul a number of treaties various countries in the Entente had forced on Iran in the recent History (including Russia, Britain, and France). Given the fact the "Young" states of the Central Powers had never been in that great a number of treaties with Iran and due to the fact that the Central Powers wanted to fuck up the Entente Powers as much as possible, Iran was welcomed to the peace negotiations, where many treaties between Iran and Britain, France, and Russia were annuled, which gave back to us the right to form Central Banks not dependent on Britain, returned to us control of our Oil Fields and other natural resources (i.e. Forests, Mines, etc.), gave us back a great deal of land in Central Asia (Afghanistan, Balouchistan, and Turkmenistan for example), and forced Britain to fund a Railway for us that would reach from Tabriz to Bander-e-Shah. This was a considerable victory, all things considered, but by the time Zaka ol-Molk had returned home to inform his majesty of these new gains, Ahmad Shah Qajar had given half of that back as concessions to get enough funds to go to a trip to Europe. While Zaka managed to successfully stop these from getting to Britain, this (alongside the rising rebellions in the South and the North) was perhaps one of the most important reasons Zaka ol-Molk began planning a coup and a transition of power from the Qajars to a young, more capable dynasty.

Ah, the Kaiserriech. As if I didn’t expect that from them.

We have had a nuclear program since 1993. We have kept it a secret from our greatest allies.

(Also nukes in this universe are just really big bombs that have no radiation)
The Empire of Deltia
"As He died to make men holy, let us die 'cause we want to!"

I have joined the light theme war against the dark theme.

Death is a preferable alternative to communism, death is a preferable alternative to democracy. Death is a preferable alternative to fascism. I just wanna die.

Discord server!

Christian Atheists are Atheists who behave like Christians... I guess that makes me an Atheist Christian?

I created a leader template with the stolen ideas of SC and Zitravgrad.

Radio Łódź:Sabaton- To Hell And Back|Der Warzau Telegraf: BREAKING: Valentine Z says the N-word!|American troops arrive in France

Catrela
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Catrela » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:54 pm

Deltanium wrote:
Allied Iran wrote:Unless it uses the ancient Nordic dating system (i.e. two large seasons, no sign of months, etc.) I'd say it uses the Gregorian Calendar, but with a different Era system.

We have had a nuclear program since 1993. We have kept it a secret from our greatest allies.

oh, good for you

we were the only South American nation to ever create a colonial empire, which mostly existed during the interwar period
The United Kingdom of Catrela is a constitutional monarchy located on a large island to the southeast of the southern cone of South America.

Current prime minister: Costanzo Diodato Jiménez (DOB: 11 August 1961, served 8 January 2014-)

Due to government reform, we are currently electing a new prime minister, please review our candidates and vote:

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:56 pm

See how that works out for you in the future. Spoiler: it probably won't.

The gods of various polytheist faiths exist in our universe, but they are ghosts with a high amount of power, with myths tied to them being either exaggerated or just plain stories. The power comes at a price, which is the need to be worshipped lest they weaken and/or eventually die out. This is why Hindu and Shinto gods are currently more powerful than their Egyptian and Greek counterparts.
Last edited by A m e n r i a on Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sinocentric Asian theocratic absolute monarchy. Set 28 years in the future. On-site factbooks are no longer canon. A 13.14 civilization, according to this index.

The New Panem State
Political Columnist

Founded: May 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Panem State » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:06 pm

Catrela wrote:
Deltanium wrote:

oh, good for you

we were the only South American nation to ever create a colonial empire, which mostly existed during the interwar period

What kind of bizarro world has a South American nation that’s actually successful?
AN
I can buy it, there’s whole theories about how mental energy can be used to essentially create a god through sheer collective will.

Among political officials and high ranking Peacekeeper officers, the ownership of avox maids and servants is quite common. After the second rebellion was put down, the President allowed the most successful commanding officers in the Peacekeeper force, as well as his most loyal governors and ministers, to have their pick of any prisoners who were not set for execution or reeducation.
Last edited by The New Panem State on Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ideas are much more dangerous than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?"
THE HORN OF PLENTY OVERFLOWS!
Stand with us, all of us, together as one, today, tomorrow, and forever! Hail Panem!

Catrela
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Catrela » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:22 pm

A m e n r i a wrote:See how that works out for you in the future. Spoiler: it probably won't.

The gods of various polytheist faiths exist in our universe, but they are ghosts with a high amount of power, with myths tied to them being either exaggerated or just plain stories. The power comes at a price, which is the need to be worshipped lest they weaken and/or eventually die out. This is why Hindu and Shinto gods are currently more powerful than their Egyptian and Greek counterparts.

yeah, in the end it didn't, we lost it all at the end of WWII
/skip

Kyneland
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyneland » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:20 pm

Yet another reason why your nation should be nuked and the entire ruling class exterminated like diseased rats.
Although our ancestors did practice slavery in the form of Thralldom, the Kynish are utterly opposed to such oppression. It is quite possible that, if it were possible or necessary, the Kynish would return to coastal raiding in order to harm modern slavers and slavery maritime routes.

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:01 pm

It's nice to know you take account of cultural/historical matters to go with your nation's policy. It's not easy, and is something you can be proud of as a roleplayer.

Both Heavenly Empresses of Amenria treat each other with respect, if not outright kindness and friendliness. They address each other as "Sister". The same extends to concubines, though relationships between the former and the latter aren't as close as the Empresses and the concubines among themselves, partially due to living very far away from each other.

Snofjogur
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Snofjogur » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:03 pm

A m e n r i a wrote:Both Heavenly Empresses of Amenria treat each other with respect, if not outright kindness and friendliness. They address each other as "Sister". The same extends to concubines, though relationships between the former and the latter aren't as close as the Empresses and the concubines among themselves, partially due to living very far away from each other.

That's nice. It's important that those in charge get along.

There are no separate sports leagues/championships for different sexes in Snofjogur. All sportspeople compete in the same league regardless of sex.
FACTBOOK

IC date = today + 11 years

Latest news: Warmest day on record, climate summit to be held

Games:
2057: The darkest hour (OOC | IC)

My nation (the factbook version) fully reflects my views. Running a psychotic dictatorship where people have zero rights can be fun, but at the end of the day I find it much more interesting to try to pull together a nation full of groups with different interests and make sure everyone gets along while balancing things like education, welfare, environment, industry and economic growth and making sure everyone gets what they deserve.

Gudmund
Envoy

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Gudmund » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:12 am

It looks good on paper, but it's still a fact that women aren't as strong as men. So it terms of football, rugby, basketball and what not, I can't see the point. I also expect that teams would preferably have male teammates over female.

Upon completing the construction of a dyson sphere around planet Kirion's star. Free energy will be provided to any ships that decide on visiting.
Civilisation:
Tier 8, Level 3, Type 7
An 8.625 civilization - according to this index
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Leader: Albani Gudmund
Setting: FT (2060+), the ruling nation of a non-human, low population, galactic Empire spanning just beyond its solar system. Primarily using advanced, mass-produced droids to handle most menial tasks and to fill the ranks of its military alongside living soldiers.

Wawakanatote
Envoy

Founded: Feb 19, 2012

Postby Wawakanatote » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:14 am

Good, now I won't have to listen to a transphobe cry in your country.
AN:
Sounds like a good deal.

Since assuming power, Song has introduced far-ranging measures to enforce party discipline and to ensure internal unity. Her signature anti-corruption campaign has led to the downfall of prominent incumbent and retired Democratic Party officials, including members of the Politburo Standing Committee. Described as a Chinese nationalist, Song has tightened restrictions over civil society and ideological discourse, advocating internet integrity reforms in the SUSR as the concept of "internet integrity". Song has called for further market economic reforms, for governing according to the law and for strengthening legal institutions, with an emphasis on individual and national aspirations under the slogan "Socialist Dream". Song has also championed a more assertive foreign policy, particularly with regard to SUSR–NATO relations and its role as a leading advocate of free trade and globalization.
Last edited by Wawakanatote on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
OOC Factbook
Pro: Marxism-Leninism
Anti: Capitalism, Fascism
We do not exist under communism, but under the
primary stage of socialist development (nep/state capitalism)
Please adjust accordingly
Full Nation Name: Supranational Union of Socialist Republics
Government: Federal Intergovernmental P&E Union
Political Leaders: C.Song Liyuan, V.C.Lev Bronshtein
National Anthem: "Hymn of the Union"
"Seek Truth From Facts!"- Deng Xiaoping, Chairman of the Central Advisory Commission
"Peace, Equality, Unity" | "Мир, равенство, единство" | "和平,平等,团结"

For more information go to: Our National Factbook

Take NS stats with a grain of salt

Frievolk
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Frievolk » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:25 am

That is both very dangerous from a political point of view, and also good news -also from a political point of view-, if it's true and not just Song trying to purge the office of those not loyal.

One of the most popular sports in the Empire is Dueling (Zweikampf). While at some point it was a method of settling feuds or insults, it became a sport by various countries in the last 1890s. In the Empire, Professional Dueling has three main branches: Pistols, Swords, and freestyle.
Pistol dueling is exactly as it sounds like, two individuals, dressed in uniform coated with body armor fire at each other with wax bullets from dueling pistols from a pre-determined distance (That distance can be anything between 5 meters and 15 meters).
Sword dueling is, also, exactly as it sounds like. It is somewhat close to Mensur (Academic Fencing), but the duelist' uniforms are a bit flashier than what a Master Fencer (trainers, often) would don on a duel irl. The swords are actually sharp, and the duel is often decided to the point of "First blood", "third blood", "first scar" and "third scar"
Freestyle Dueling is... a bit more complicated. It's pretty much something along the lines of "give two people a sword and a pistol with a pre-determined number of bullets, throw them in a ring, let them fight" where hand-to-hand fighting is, to a point, allowed and it is often fought to the point of ceremonial death (i.e., to the point that, had the dueling been legit, would result in the death of a duelist)

Despite what it sounds like, it is not very dangerous and almost not fatal. Well, not any more dangerous or fatal than any other form of weapons-based martial arts.
Last edited by Frievolk on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
OOC
Libertarian Constitutionalist
Part-time Anarchist
Anti-Monotheist
Iranian Nationalist
Templates
♔ The Frievolker Empire || Frievolker Kaiserreik
♔ The Realm in the Sun || De Reik in de Sonne
♔ Led by Kaiser Johann, Part of the Erstwelt
Never forget that the Muslims literally made up a new meaningless name for him when they forgot the name of Adam's Firstborn.

Saranidia
Minister

Founded: Sep 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Saranidia » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:45 am

Frievolk wrote:That is both very dangerous from a political point of view, and also good news -also from a political point of view-, if it's true and not just Song trying to purge the office of those not loyal.

One of the most popular sports in the Empire is Dueling (Zweikampf). While at some point it was a method of settling feuds or insults, it became a sport by various countries in the last 1890s. In the Empire, Professional Dueling has three main branches: Pistols, Swords, and freestyle.
Pistol dueling is exactly as it sounds like, two individuals, dressed in uniform coated with body armor fire at each other with wax bullets from dueling pistols from a pre-determined distance (That distance can be anything between 5 meters and 15 meters).
Sword dueling is, also, exactly as it sounds like. It is somewhat close to Mensur (Academic Fencing), but the duelist' uniforms are a bit flashier than what a Master Fencer (trainers, often) would don on a duel irl. The swords are actually sharp, and the duel is often decided to the point of "First blood", "third blood", "first scar" and "third scar"
Freestyle Dueling is... a bit more complicated. It's pretty much something along the lines of "give two people a sword and a pistol with a pre-determined number of bullets, throw them in a ring, let them fight" where hand-to-hand fighting is, to a point, allowed and it is often fought to the point of ceremonial death (i.e., to the point that, had the dueling been legit, would result in the death of a duelist)

Despite what it sounds like, it is not very dangerous and almost not fatal. Well, not any more dangerous or fatal than any other form of weapons-based martial arts.

Good idea
The Al Saranidi legal system gives different religious groups their own courts.
more or less the only times the state mandates courts are:
some child protection cases(as children have limited capacity to have informed consent)
crimes that are especially a threat to the whole state, neighbourhood etc.
and disputes between 2 members of different religions.
Mostly represents my views but what I think a Middle Eastern nation should do which will be sometimes different to what I think a western nation should do(because the people have different needs in different places)

Vote Lisa Nandy

Copy this into your sig if you know sex and gender are different and did not fail biology.

RIP grandpa kitchen

Kyneland
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyneland » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:13 am

That is still infinitely inferior to equal and secular law.
In Kyneland, discrimination and bias remain part of everyday life for minorities and foreign nationals. Natives are typically favoured by the state, and those belonging to a religious minority (anyone not Heathen) face legal bias and general malpractice. Successive governments have “managed” to do little in advancing the social status and standing of minorities.

Wawakanatote
Envoy

Postby Wawakanatote » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:35 am

Bad policy, and your nation needs reform.

Often described as the "paramount leader" of the Supranational Union of Socialist Republics, the Chairperson is the head of state of the Council of Democrats. The Chairperson directs the executive branch of the federal government and is the commander-in-chief of the People's Liberation Army. In contemporary times, the Chairperson is looked upon as one of the world's most powerful political figures and as the leader of the largest global superpower. The office is officially regarded as an institution of the state rather than an administrative post; theoretically, the Chairperson serves at the pleasure of the Council of Democrats, the legislature, and is not legally vested to take executive action on its own prerogative. The current Chairperson is Song Liyuan, who took office in 2060.

According to the current Constitution of the Supranational Union of Socialist Republics, the Chairperson must be a citizen of the Union with full electoral rights who has reached the age of 35. The Chairperson is elected by the Council of Democrats (CoD), SUSR's highest state body, which also has the power to remove the Chairperson and other state officers from office. Elections and removals are decided by a simple majority vote. According to the Organic Law of the CoD, the Chairperson is nominated by the CoD Presidium, the Council's executive organ. Like all officers of the state elected by the CoD, the Chairperson is elected from a one name ballot.

In the event that the office of Chairperson falls vacant, the Vice-Chairperson succeeds to the office. In the event that both offices fall vacant, the Chairman of the CoD Standing Committee temporarily acts as Chairperson until the CoD can elect a new Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson.
OOC Factbook
"Seek Truth From Facts!"- Deng Xiaoping, Chairman of the Central Advisory Commission

Achsenland
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Achsenland » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:22 am

Put that way, he (or was it she?) just sounds like a glorified mix between a typical head of government and the UN general secretary. Although there might be reasons for the position being chosen by the legislature, I'll still ask in the spirit of democracy, why isn't the chairperson chosen by direct citizen vote? Also, since it's a one name ballot (if I interpreted that correctly), doesn't that mean that whoever garners the most influence among the council is basically guaranteed the post, and can abuse its privileges if he/she sees fit? What are your safeguards against this, should it happen?

I'm just asking, not criticising, pls don't kill me papa KGB

Ever since the sweeping societal and governmental reforms of King James, the first king of Achsony, relations between the Royal House of Nero and much of the local aristocratic elite have been mostly strained, although steadily healing throughout the past decades. During his reign, much of the established privileges of the nobility were revoked, the rest were watered down to suit the new systems in place.

For example, high positions in government were opened to all citizens regardless of background (albeit with strict qualifications), based on a meritocratic system of appointments. The collection of taxes, once the responsibility of the local nobility, was streamlined, being placed under the direct control of the Royal Government through the National Tax Agency, a subdivision of the Ministry of Finance. Furthermore, the nobility's power over their former jurisdictions were removed, their titles remaining as little more than ceremonial sources of prestige. These, among many others, were a cause of concern for the landed aristocracy. Nobles who resisted violently were stripped of their titles, had their assets liquidated, were given lengthy prison sentences, or any combination of these. Vacant titles were given away to other, more loyal, nobles, while the revenue gained from property confiscation helped fund much of the early government's projects.

This nearly ended up in internal conflict, if not for the popularity of the new government amongst the lower- and middle-class and the sheer firepower of the Royal Achson Armed Forces, then the only military force primarily equipped with firearms and artillery, along with proper training to use them; that and the king was friends with a literal goddess (yes, the "almighty" kind), the archangel of death, and the heiresses of two other great powers, to name a few.

Today, the nobility occupy still occupy a position, albeit much less pronounced, in the upper echelons of society. Many became entrepreneurs, using their wealth to set up businesses and manufactories. Those with skill are awarded positions in the government. The upper house of the Royal Diet, the Hall of Lords, one of the most deciding factors in the passing of legislation, second only to the monarch him/herself, is composed entirely of appointed men and women holding noble titles.

(TL;DR the first king basically pulled off a less bloody oprichnina)
 | ♔ | Kingdom of Achsony | ♔ | Königreich Achsenland | ♔ | 
Terra Britania's PT/FanT puppet in a different universe. IC year 1819 (not AD or BC). NS stats not used, as always.
Factbooks - Overview - News
Jamesburg Telegram: Holy Alexandrian Realm falls to chaos and civil war; major cities fall to far-right and far-left extremists with supplies and volunteers from Habsburg and Muscovia | Royal Achson Armed Forces announces new M1819 semi-automatic service rifle to replace current bolt-action models | Free Stead of Reiga, threteaned by Muscovian aggression, becomes newest member of the Avalon Concordat
100% certified: Weeaboo, Britanniaboo, Kaiserboo, and France-hater | Reichsmusik 96.3 FM | Current flag waifu: Jeanne d'Arc (Alter), from Fate/Grand Order

Wawakanatote
Envoy

Postby Wawakanatote » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:35 pm

Achsenland wrote:Put that way, he (or was it she?) just sounds like a glorified mix between a typical head of government and the UN general secretary. Although there might be reasons for the position being chosen by the legislature, I'll still ask in the spirit of democracy, why isn't the chairperson chosen by direct citizen vote? Also, since it's a one name ballot (if I interpreted that correctly), doesn't that mean that whoever garners the most influence among the council is basically guaranteed the post, and can abuse its privileges if he/she sees fit? What are your safeguards against this, should it happen?

I'm just asking, not criticising, pls don't kill me papa KGB

The legislature is controlled by the party, which in turn is controlled by the people (as it is a people's party) who live in the Union. Socialist democracies work differently and are more unified as opposed to their liberal counterparts, which technically also exist as a figurative one-party state, except with capitalism as opposed to socialism.

Also, a "one-name ballet" means that a single candidate is reviewed for the position (in recent elections candidates typically "battle" to achieve this opportunity similarly to that of the US Presidential election).

And the checks and balances of the Chairperson come in the form of the Vice Chairperson, General-Secretary. the Democratic Party, and the Council of Presidents (which is a group of the Presidents of each of the 18 republics that make up the SUSR)//skip//
OOC Factbook

The Great-German Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great-German Empire » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:52 pm

Well, if we go off the assumption that Achsony (which I am tempted to call Axony) ought to exist, then those reforms were necessary. A feudal confederation never lasts long unless it is forced to.

The relationship between the Armed Forces and the State in Germany is more symbiotic than subordinated. While this arrangement has existed to some extent since Unification, the military was almost completely reined in in the 1920s and remained so for over half a century. Here's the story.

Wilhelm II traditionally favored the Army and Navy above all; However, during the Great War, he became increasingly wary of their great sway and reputation for unscrupulous methods, and was eventually persuaded by Chancellor Gustav Stresemann to pacify the military leaders by reforming their structure. Following a liberal blueprint, the German Army and all of the remaining state armies were merged under the former's leadership, henceforth known as the Imperial Army (IA); Along with the Imperial Navy, the two were put under an umbrella oranization known as the Imperial Defense Force (Kaiserliche Wehrmacht; IDF/KWM). The old services' air corps were merged into the Imperial Air Forces, or Kaiserliche Luftkräfte, independent from both - also as a deliberate weakening measure, and also to great protest. The KWM was put under the authority of the newly-instituted Imperial War Office, a merger of the old decentralized War Ministries and the Imperial Naval Office; The Naval General Staff was restored and the Air General Staff was created, with the three being connected by the Supreme War Command, or Oberkriegskommando, which consisted of the Emperor, War Secretary of State (Head of the IWO) and all three Chiefs of Staff. Unlike today, when the War Secretary's appointment is included in the Emperor's prerogative, it was made clear that the Chancellor called the shots on the WSoS's selection.
While the Armed Forces remained powerful even at this point, one action broke their influence for years to come: The addition of Austria to the Empire. With newly-arriving officers - including high-ranking ones transferred from the Audtrian General Staff to the German - not sharing the old Prussians' ambitions and plots, and then with German commoners from the Great War ranking up to the point of relevance, the old cohesiveness in trying to influence government policy fell apart. The military was used as an obedient tool to rein in noble influence in the 1930s to early 40s, and got even more on its plate in the Second Great War. The Military as a united political front only came back in the early to mid-1980s, and ended up actually coming to the Emperor's defense in early 1994 by couping a semi-illegal Communist government, initiating the German Civil War.
IC Name: Empire of Germany
Just your friendly neighborhood Weltmacht. Und Doch Gang | NS Stats are not used. Q&A if you need it!
Pro/Anti, 8Values and other tests: Here
Unapologetic libertarian populist monarchism

Vossische Zeitung: The Chancellor, Baron Hartmann, announced in a rally that he will 'work tirelessly against the formation of a society of control' | Hungary edges out Germany 4-3 in Euro Cup final; Kaiser personally congratulates Hungarians for an 'exceptional' game | According to survey, 73% of Germans oppose an introduction of speed limits on major Autobahns

Knessniet
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Knessniet » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:48 pm

The military has power, as our Regency shows. It certainly can cause friction if not harnessed properly.

During the Qing Dynasty of China, between 1790 and it's demise, it upkept relations with Knessniet and was oddly cordial. It was this way due to a translation error at the beginning of their communications, when the translators accidentally made it look like the Emperor recognized the Grand Duke as semi-divine God-Emperor and his superior. To cover up this mistake, the Qianlong Emperor negotiated a secret agreement with the Count of Newman, which stipulated that in exchange for ignoring and covering up such an embarrassment to the world, Knessniet would receive the benefits of a Chinese tributary without paying tribute or showing submission of any kind. In the end, it evolved into an alliance that lasted until the end of Imperial China.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives