NATION

PASSWORD

The Senate Lobby: Fake News Lives Here

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11849
Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:11 pm

If the constructed romance language option wins, anyone who wants to help collaborate in making it is welcome to join me in putting forth a proposal to be voted on. I specifically want to team up with people with a linguistic background or have created constructed languages before.

I'm trying to get into contact with Vyvland, who originally created the Aurentine language. I think they are too busy but it is worth a shot.
"Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig."
—Robert Heinlein

a libertarian, which means i want poor babies to die or smth

User avatar
Martune
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1226
Founded: Apr 22, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Martune » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:44 pm

Roosevetania wrote:
Martune wrote:Civico conservador if I remember. The more right wing caucus group

Yes, I remember Cívico Conservador.

What happened after I resigned from senate
Admin of NS Parliament
Join: NS Parliament, a government RP where the possibilities are endless!

Who even knows what I am politically anymore

User avatar
Soviet Canuckistan
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5029
Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Soviet Canuckistan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:52 pm

Juniklub wrote:I have only just become aware of Galatea’s linguistic situation, and to be frank, it’s imbecilic; the country’s agreed-upon history makes no mention of these non-Albanian Albanian speakers, which are certainly bizarre, and it is absolutely ridiculous to speak of 15-20 per cent speaking a Slavic when, in truth, South Slavic groups represent no more than 3 per cent of the population, as Question 4 established. The existence of a Maltese-like Semitic language is similarly scandalous for reasons I needn’t mention for fear of growing tiresome. I know I will be censured for speaking only know, but I was lamentably unaware of the vote.

Well ethnicity, history and linguistic demographics were constructed separately and voted on at the same time which is why it's a mess.
Last edited by Soviet Canuckistan on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.49

User avatar
MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23694
Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:57 pm

Friends. Nobody cares about your character right now. We will have a thread for that. Don't post them.
FUTBOL GANG
Somewhere to the left of Attila the Hun
Social Juchetice Warrior
More cool stuff

Pizzagate expert
Guinean Unionist

The NS Parliament—Christian People's Congress: Join us! For family and faith.

User avatar
Juniklub
Civil Servant
 
Posts: 6
Founded: Feb 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Juniklub » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:53 pm

Juniklub wrote:I have only just become aware of Galatea’s linguistic situation, and to be frank, it’s imbecilic; the country’s agreed-upon history makes no mention of these non-Albanian Albanian speakers, which are certainly bizarre, and it is absolutely ridiculous to speak of 15-20 per cent speaking a Slavic when, in truth, South Slavic groups represent no more than 3 per cent of the population, as Question 4 established. The existence of a Maltese-like Semitic language is similarly scandalous for reasons I needn’t mention for fear of growing tiresome. I know I will be censured for speaking only know, but I was lamentably unaware of the vote.

I apologise for what possibly constitutes spam, but upon speaking to Soviet Canuckistan, it has become apparent that the the language proposal could be very interesting, albeit with different demographics. Galatea could be an Ionian Switzerland, in which case independence from Greece as established in Archism’s history would make more sense; but in order to do this, the numbers of Albanians, Slavs, and Semitic peoples would have to be raised in detriment of blacks, Hellenes, and Galateans (Helleno-Latins).
Last edited by Juniklub on Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liberalism is a sin.
Catalan, Spanish, and European à la d’Ors.
Nationalist with monarchist sympathies.
Devout Catholic. Gothophile. Foralist.
Proud member of Pro Patriathe Christian Conservatives.
If God is with us, who is against us?

User avatar
Paketo
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12281
Founded: Jul 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Paketo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:50 am

Martune wrote:
Roosevetania wrote:Yes, I remember Cívico Conservador.

What happened after I resigned from senate


not much. I can't remember when exactly when you resigned but we had a tsunami as a major event and then activity slowly dwindled as people got annoyed at how long a bill took to be voted on. Eventually, it was declared dead.
I'm a Pinarchist, sue me North Carolina is best Carolina States rights is best rights
Emilio Aguinaldo wrote:
Paketo wrote:
Oh god, the universe will explode, everyone to your bunkers

Yep, this is the type of "discussion" we have over here. Serious people beware, this place is filled with these things.

User avatar
Roosevetania
Diplomat
 
Posts: 667
Founded: Jan 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Roosevetania » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:12 am

The Liberated Territories wrote:If the constructed romance language option wins, anyone who wants to help collaborate in making it is welcome to join me in putting forth a proposal to be voted on. I specifically want to team up with people with a linguistic background or have created constructed languages before.

I'm trying to get into contact with Vyvland, who originally created the Aurentine language. I think they are too busy but it is worth a shot.

Wasn't a Romance conlang part of SovCan's proposal?
White Male, Libertarian Socialist, Anti-Fascist, United Methodist, American Deep South
Pro: socialism, anarchism (ideally), antifa, radical democracy, universal liberation, gun rights, open borders, revolution
Anti: capitalism, the state, authoritarianism, capitalist wars, capital punishment, Israel, generally most bourgeois institutions

Yang Jianguo, Member of the Revolutionary People's Party in the NS Parliament

User avatar
Kamchastkia
Senator
 
Posts: 3943
Founded: Jan 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kamchastkia » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:52 am

Van Hool Islands wrote:
Juniklub wrote:I have only just become aware of Galatea’s linguistic situation, and to be frank, it’s imbecilic; the country’s agreed-upon history makes no mention of these non-Albanian Albanian speakers, which are certainly bizarre, and it is absolutely ridiculous to speak of 15-20 per cent speaking a Slavic when, in truth, South Slavic groups represent no more than 3 per cent of the population, as Question 4 established. The existence of a Maltese-like Semitic language is similarly scandalous for reasons I needn’t mention for fear of growing tiresome. I know I will be censured for speaking only know, but I was lamentably unaware of the vote.

Yep, definitely. There's pretty much no historic precedent for Slavic and Semitic languages in the nation. Honestly takes away a lot of immersion.

Just ignore it then, what're they gonna do, make you believe it?

User avatar
Roosevetania
Diplomat
 
Posts: 667
Founded: Jan 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Roosevetania » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:17 am

Kamchastkia wrote:
Van Hool Islands wrote:Yep, definitely. There's pretty much no historic precedent for Slavic and Semitic languages in the nation. Honestly takes away a lot of immersion.

Just ignore it then, what're they gonna do, make you believe it?

Lol
White Male, Libertarian Socialist, Anti-Fascist, United Methodist, American Deep South
Pro: socialism, anarchism (ideally), antifa, radical democracy, universal liberation, gun rights, open borders, revolution
Anti: capitalism, the state, authoritarianism, capitalist wars, capital punishment, Israel, generally most bourgeois institutions

Yang Jianguo, Member of the Revolutionary People's Party in the NS Parliament

User avatar
The Sarian
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1360
Founded: Jun 08, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Sarian » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:27 am

MERIZoC wrote:Friends. Nobody cares about your character right now. We will have a thread for that. Don't post them.

But if you're not friends with Merizoc, do what you want.

Martune wrote:Odds I get into another beef with The Sarian

I don't remember who you are but I was defo right about whatever it is.
Edit: I remember who you are, you had a temper tantrum because I won the primary and then stopped having a temper tantrum when no-one paid attention. Good job on stopping me getting elected President ;)
Last edited by The Sarian on Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE SARI UNION · DE BONDSAARI

Domestic Newswire · My blog

(he/they)

User avatar
Kamchastkia
Senator
 
Posts: 3943
Founded: Jan 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kamchastkia » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:20 am

Roosevetania wrote:
Kamchastkia wrote:Just ignore it then, what're they gonna do, make you believe it?

Lol

It's true though.

EDIT: (Reminder we have a DISCORD)
Last edited by Kamchastkia on Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Collatis
Minister
 
Posts: 2702
Founded: Aug 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Collatis » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:14 pm

Kamchastkia wrote:EDIT: (Reminder we have a DISCORD)

People are well aware. It’s not necessary to post about it every day.

Social Democrat | Humanist | Progressive | Internationalist | New Dealer

PRO: social democracy, internationalism, progressivism, democracy,
republicanism, human rights, democratic socialism, Keynesianism,
EU, NATO, two-state solution, Democratic Party, Bernie Sanders
CON: conservatism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, neoliberalism,
death penalty, Marxism-Leninism, laissez faire, reaction, fascism,
antisemitism, isolationism, Republican Party, Donald Trump


User avatar
Kamchastkia
Senator
 
Posts: 3943
Founded: Jan 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kamchastkia » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:03 pm

Collatis wrote:
Kamchastkia wrote:EDIT: (Reminder we have a DISCORD)

People are well aware. It’s not necessary to post about it every day.

Please substantiate the claim that I post it everyday.

User avatar
Martune
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1226
Founded: Apr 22, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Martune » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:47 pm

The Sarian wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:Friends. Nobody cares about your character right now. We will have a thread for that. Don't post them.

But if you're not friends with Merizoc, do what you want.

Martune wrote:Odds I get into another beef with The Sarian

I don't remember who you are but I was defo right about whatever it is.
Edit: I remember who you are, you had a temper tantrum because I won the primary and then stopped having a temper tantrum when no-one paid attention. Good job on stopping me getting elected President ;)

Oh wow. Ow. That hurt. I really didn’t care to stop you. Just wasn’t happy with you being an arse

Calm down this time eh
Admin of NS Parliament
Join: NS Parliament, a government RP where the possibilities are endless!

Who even knows what I am politically anymore

User avatar
Martune
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1226
Founded: Apr 22, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Martune » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:51 pm

I’ve become more libertarian over my break. It’s quite interesting
Admin of NS Parliament
Join: NS Parliament, a government RP where the possibilities are endless!

Who even knows what I am politically anymore

User avatar
Tectonix
Minister
 
Posts: 2587
Founded: Apr 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Tectonix » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:21 pm

Martune wrote:
The Sarian wrote:But if you're not friends with Merizoc, do what you want.


I don't remember who you are but I was defo right about whatever it is.
Edit: I remember who you are, you had a temper tantrum because I won the primary and then stopped having a temper tantrum when no-one paid attention. Good job on stopping me getting elected President ;)

Oh wow. Ow. That hurt. I really didn’t care to stop you. Just wasn’t happy with you being an arse

Calm down this time eh

Remember how long ago and now-irrelevant what you are discussing is. Just chill and go on with that conservative libertarian stuff.
Economic Left/Right: -4.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.36
Senator Giovanni Galatis of the DP
Member of the Democratic Party of Galatea - For the many, not the few

User avatar
Martune
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1226
Founded: Apr 22, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Martune » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:35 pm

Tectonix wrote:
Martune wrote:Oh wow. Ow. That hurt. I really didn’t care to stop you. Just wasn’t happy with you being an arse

Calm down this time eh

Remember how long ago and now-irrelevant what you are discussing is. Just chill and go on with that conservative libertarian stuff.

Nice link
Admin of NS Parliament
Join: NS Parliament, a government RP where the possibilities are endless!

Who even knows what I am politically anymore

User avatar
MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23694
Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:29 pm

The Sarian wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:Friends. Nobody cares about your character right now. We will have a thread for that. Don't post them.

But if you're not friends with Merizoc, do what you want.

Image
FUTBOL GANG
Somewhere to the left of Attila the Hun
Social Juchetice Warrior
More cool stuff

Pizzagate expert
Guinean Unionist

The NS Parliament—Christian People's Congress: Join us! For family and faith.

User avatar
New World Oceania
Secretary
 
Posts: 33
Founded: Jun 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby New World Oceania » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:38 pm

Tomorrow, I'm going to post a draft of a GEA here. The disclaimer is that it might not make a lot of sense, if any. I hope you all critique it harshly. Keep in mind, though, that I'm writing it to focus on how we can make the RP better from an OOC perspective. In advance of the full text, here are the highlights:
  • Statutes. The laws of Galatea are structured in a code. That means whenever you want to write a new law, you insert a new chapter into the code. This is meant to resolve the depository problem, as well as to make bills that amend previous laws clearer during consideration — insertions into the code are underlined, current code is regularly formatted, and repeals from the code are struck through.
  • Federalism. Galatea is composed of three provinces. I think that selecting a province should be a part of applying; or perhaps every member will start getting welcome TGs with info about the Senate, including a province they've been assigned to (which they could change).
    The admins should keep a master spreadsheet with membership information so it doesn't get lost.
    Also: why? Because subnational politics can yield a lot of roleplaying opportunity. If everybody has a province from the start, it takes less effort to get involved in subnational legislating and other politics. As often as it was used, federalism was beneficial in Fernão and Elizia.
  • Bicameralism. A small upper chamber expands political intrigue and roleplaying opportunities. It can slow some things down, but just enough to make things more interesting — not so much that it will hurt the roleplay. As for the lower chamber, I am still unsure about whether everyone will be automatically a part of this (as opposed to it being elected, and everyone being a part of subnational chambers).
    Input is welcome.
  • Presidentialism. It's a personal preference. I think that, when done well, a presidential system can benefit the roleplay much like an upper chamber would. Key to this is an active president and a small cabinet. I've included provisions on an "executive office of the president" to a)
    encourage more roleplaying and b) discourage big cabinets.
    There are compelling arguments for parliamentary systems, though. They've worked really well in the past, and provide regular intrigue, generally when the prime minister takes on characteristics of a president in terms of power exercised. There's a debate to be had here.
  • Established rules. I love procedural law, but it just doesn't jive well with our roleplay structure. I've suggested establishing basic rules to govern the chambers, with some minor differences between the ones used in the upper chamber and those used in the lower chamber that will affect how we roleplay the legislative process. But in general, they're just what we've usually done, written down.
  • Courts. I have left an entire section blank for someone else to tackle.

I will participate in this incarnation, but mostly I am going to focus my efforts on improving roleplaying. This will partly, if not primarily, manifest in developing new ways people interact, elections being chief among them. One thing I'd like to do, if the admins are willing to let me, is have a presidential or major election done through a Google form (so, invisible to the general public), then create a liveblog and/or live podcast that releases the results over a couple of hours.

Anyway, that is to say: if you have neat ideas for unique ways of expanding our roleplaying universe, let me know.

User avatar
Martune
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1226
Founded: Apr 22, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Martune » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:15 pm

New World Oceania wrote:The joys of it

Courts could b more judicial review then anything
Admin of NS Parliament
Join: NS Parliament, a government RP where the possibilities are endless!

Who even knows what I am politically anymore

User avatar
Roosevetania
Diplomat
 
Posts: 667
Founded: Jan 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Roosevetania » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:16 am

New World Oceania wrote:Tomorrow, I'm going to post a draft of a GEA here. The disclaimer is that it might not make a lot of sense, if any. I hope you all critique it harshly. Keep in mind, though, that I'm writing it to focus on how we can make the RP better from an OOC perspective. In advance of the full text, here are the highlights:
  • Statutes. The laws of Galatea are structured in a code. That means whenever you want to write a new law, you insert a new chapter into the code. This is meant to resolve the depository problem, as well as to make bills that amend previous laws clearer during consideration — insertions into the code are underlined, current code is regularly formatted, and repeals from the code are struck through.
  • Federalism. Galatea is composed of three provinces. I think that selecting a province should be a part of applying; or perhaps every member will start getting welcome TGs with info about the Senate, including a province they've been assigned to (which they could change).
    The admins should keep a master spreadsheet with membership information so it doesn't get lost.
    Also: why? Because subnational politics can yield a lot of roleplaying opportunity. If everybody has a province from the start, it takes less effort to get involved in subnational legislating and other politics. As often as it was used, federalism was beneficial in Fernão and Elizia.
  • Bicameralism. A small upper chamber expands political intrigue and roleplaying opportunities. It can slow some things down, but just enough to make things more interesting — not so much that it will hurt the roleplay. As for the lower chamber, I am still unsure about whether everyone will be automatically a part of this (as opposed to it being elected, and everyone being a part of subnational chambers).
    Input is welcome.
  • Presidentialism. It's a personal preference. I think that, when done well, a presidential system can benefit the roleplay much like an upper chamber would. Key to this is an active president and a small cabinet. I've included provisions on an "executive office of the president" to a)
    encourage more roleplaying and b) discourage big cabinets.
    There are compelling arguments for parliamentary systems, though. They've worked really well in the past, and provide regular intrigue, generally when the prime minister takes on characteristics of a president in terms of power exercised. There's a debate to be had here.
  • Established rules. I love procedural law, but it just doesn't jive well with our roleplay structure. I've suggested establishing basic rules to govern the chambers, with some minor differences between the ones used in the upper chamber and those used in the lower chamber that will affect how we roleplay the legislative process. But in general, they're just what we've usually done, written down.
  • Courts. I have left an entire section blank for someone else to tackle.

I will participate in this incarnation, but mostly I am going to focus my efforts on improving roleplaying. This will partly, if not primarily, manifest in developing new ways people interact, elections being chief among them. One thing I'd like to do, if the admins are willing to let me, is have a presidential or major election done through a Google form (so, invisible to the general public), then create a liveblog and/or live podcast that releases the results over a couple of hours.

Anyway, that is to say: if you have neat ideas for unique ways of expanding our roleplaying universe, let me know.

I think it was shown last iteration that presidentialism doesn't work. We need a parliamentary system. I'm afraid a lot of this (subnational legislating, bicameralism, etc.) would take away from The Senate, which is what we're here for.
White Male, Libertarian Socialist, Anti-Fascist, United Methodist, American Deep South
Pro: socialism, anarchism (ideally), antifa, radical democracy, universal liberation, gun rights, open borders, revolution
Anti: capitalism, the state, authoritarianism, capitalist wars, capital punishment, Israel, generally most bourgeois institutions

Yang Jianguo, Member of the Revolutionary People's Party in the NS Parliament

User avatar
The Miaphysite Church of Coptic Archism
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1853
Founded: Aug 31, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Miaphysite Church of Coptic Archism » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:22 am

There are lots of places to trip up on it but I think the senate is at it's best when we're involving tangentially related systems and roleplays rather than just relying on a once-a-week numbers game in the senate chamber.

User avatar
Martune
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1226
Founded: Apr 22, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Martune » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:29 am

What happened to the election calculator
Admin of NS Parliament
Join: NS Parliament, a government RP where the possibilities are endless!

Who even knows what I am politically anymore

User avatar
Roosevetania
Diplomat
 
Posts: 667
Founded: Jan 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Roosevetania » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:40 am

Martune wrote:What happened to the election calculator

We retired it.
White Male, Libertarian Socialist, Anti-Fascist, United Methodist, American Deep South
Pro: socialism, anarchism (ideally), antifa, radical democracy, universal liberation, gun rights, open borders, revolution
Anti: capitalism, the state, authoritarianism, capitalist wars, capital punishment, Israel, generally most bourgeois institutions

Yang Jianguo, Member of the Revolutionary People's Party in the NS Parliament

User avatar
Martune
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1226
Founded: Apr 22, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Martune » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:45 am

Roosevetania wrote:
Martune wrote:What happened to the election calculator

We retired it.

How come?
Admin of NS Parliament
Join: NS Parliament, a government RP where the possibilities are endless!

Who even knows what I am politically anymore

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads