NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] The Holiday Apocalypse

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Concrete Slab
Envoy

Founded: Jan 25, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

[PASSED] The Holiday Apocalypse

Postby Concrete Slab » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:53 pm

Hey y'all! This seemed like a fun project, so I figured I'd throw my hat back in the SC ring. I had some help, but here's a declaration about the recent NS outage! If you have any comments, suggestions, or even additions, please let me know!

The Security Council,

Still in shock at recent events which brought all diplomacy to a halt across the multiverse, leading to over four days of stagnation, shaking all nations and organizations to their very core,

Dismayed that this cataclysmic event initiated on the Twenty-Third day of December, occurring right as holiday festivities were reaching their peak for nearly all people in all nations,

Aghast at the sheer destruction wrought by this apocalypse, vastly outshadowing previous multiversal disasters, including the not-infrequent nuclear armageddons and zombie uprisings, and the disastrous reign of the Cosmic Moose and its fury, which dealt a significant blow to the stability of the fabric of reality,

Grateful that the World Assembly headquarters blipped back into reality shortly after the start of the event, being one of the few global hubs that came to existence, and continuing to serve as a marketplace of ideas, and for the return of all functionality with only mild delays upon the restoration of the rest of the multiverse,

Noting that, while there is a theory that purports the multiverse may have been created last Thursday, having it summarily obliterated instead was extremely problematic in regards to the holiday plans of the nations of this Council,

Acknowledging that many nations became lost in a terminal aether, with their futures uncertain, and many believing themselves to be “adrift”, “nonexistent”, or “erased”, and the lasting impact that this may have on the denizens of the universe,

Reflecting on the worry that, for a time, there was the possibility that the multiverse would be reset, much like a certain Jo-centric work of creative fiction,

Deducing that, if this outcome had come to pass, untold chaos, lawlessness, and potentially deadly power struggles would have spread throughout the multiverse instead of the usual good tidings and assorted presents,

Lamenting the fact that, since the multiverse is a critical community for many nations, some were not able to celebrate the holidays due to the small inconvenience of the multiverse being in tatters,

Horrified at the massive damage done to the market of national artwork, wiping out tens of thousands of standing asks and bids,

Resolving that to forever commemorate and remember this time of hardship, henceforth, all nations are encouraged to take four days off of this mortal plane, abstain from all worldly activities, and engage in deep introspection, every Twenty-Third of December,

Hereby immortalized the “Holiday Apocalypse”, acknowledging it as a disaster of unparalleled scale and submitting this account of its events on the book of the Security Council for the rest of eternity, or until it is rightfully repealed.

Co-authored by The Atlae Isles
(Shadow co-authored by Morover)
Last edited by Concrete Slab on Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
Concrete Slab
Author of GAR#471, GAR#479, SCR#271, SCR#370, SCR#426, and SCR#428
Co-author of SCR#300, SCR#422, SCR#432, SCR#486, and SCR#487
2023 Defender Newcomer, Mentor, and Quote of the Year
RMB Moderator of The South Pacific
Lieutenant of the South Pacific Special Forces
Join The South Pacific Special Forces Today!
CS isn't inherently doing anything wrong, Hulldom just has a deep preference for boring, which CS does not always find himself within the lines of

Concrete Slab
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Concrete Slab » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:53 pm

Reserved and stuff
Concrete Slab
CS isn't inherently doing anything wrong, Hulldom just has a deep preference for boring, which CS does not always find himself within the lines of

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:55 pm

the use of the word "holiday" might not be the best as some ns nations don't have a late december holiday
maybe "The Late-December 2022 Apocalypse" would be more fitting
also known as pacific shores
author of sc #434
professional slab worshipper
lieutenant of the south pacific special forces
2023 ananke award co-winner
Bhang Bhang Duc wrote:What can I say? I do know how to improve this out of all measure though. Firstly, print out your draft on some nice paper. Secondly, take your draft out for a healthy walk in the country. Next find a field of cows and feed the draft to them. Finally just wait - the improved end product will come out of their ends so to speak.

But seriously this is just another in a long line of poorly researched, badly written, lazy attempts.

Concrete Slab
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Concrete Slab » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:57 pm

Drew Durrnil wrote:the use of the word "holiday" might not be the best as some ns nations don't have a late december holiday
maybe "The Late-December 2022 Apocalypse" would be more fitting

By that logic, some nations also don't have the month of December or the year of 2022 on their calendars :P. My main logic calling it the Holiday Apocalypse is because it overlapped with a lot of irl holidays, which was a big deal rather if it just happened any other time of the year.
Concrete Slab

Arstotskiano
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 19, 2021
Corporate Police State

Postby Arstotskiano » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:29 pm

The Rizzard of Oz.
[violet] wrote:
Refuge Isle wrote:Sobbing openly

Hooray!
Arstotskiano version 94, Fmr. Chief Operating Officer, Surveyor, Esquire, Fmr. Deputy Director of Security, Fmr. Director of Public Relations, Supreme Intercessor, Harbinger, Destruction Incarnate, Most Influential Warzoner 2023, former Colonial Vice-Governor of Multiversal Oateria, Destroyer of Oklahoma, Mailbox, World’s Shittiest Alchemist Ever, RMB Mod, Man-at-Arms, Cavalier, Caporegime, Third Class Rook

Concrete Slab
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Concrete Slab » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:31 pm

Arstotskiano wrote:The Rizzard of Oz.

Sin City simply was not made for yuh
Concrete Slab

Minskiev
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:06 pm

Yawn. Against. Simply badge-hunting, similar to the other N-Day/Z-Day declarations
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 15x WA author. Join the RRA here.

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:22 pm

Concrete Slab wrote:Thanking Violet and her fellow Gods above for their work in restoring the almighty creation of the multiverse, for offering spiritual guidance to many unsure of their place in the world, and ensuring that any consequences of this cataclysm are relatively minor compared to the horrifying and suspenseful outage that left many with concern for the future,

Rule 3a - Declarations cannot cover site staff policy or decisions. (May I suggest this as a better way to express thanks?)
(+5175 posts from mostly pre-Jolt)
Making NationStates a different place since 17 May 2003.
ADN Advisor (Ret.)
Nasicournian Officer
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Discord: Goobergunch#2417
Ideological Bulwark #16
Sponsor, HR#22, SC#4
Rules: GA SC
NS Game Moderator
For your forum moderation needs: The Moderation Forum
For your in-game moderation needs: The Getting Help Page
What are the rules? See the OSRS.
Who are the mods, anyway?

Free Algerstonia
Minister

Founded: Jan 16, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Algerstonia » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:27 pm

Minskiev wrote:Yawn. Against. Simply badge-hunting, similar to the other N-Day/Z-Day declarations

walrus's outer bangbangactia arc
Last edited by Free Algerstonia on Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:28 pm

Food is temporary. Security Council Resolutions are forever.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading One Summer: America 1927 by Bill Bryson

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jun 23, 2022
Corporate Police State

Postby The Ice States » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:21 pm

Minskiev wrote:Yawn. Against. Simply badge-hunting, similar to the other N-Day/Z-Day declarations

Concrete Slab already has six badges...
Factbooks · 46x World Assembly Author · Festering Snakepit Wiki · WACampaign · GA Stat Effects Data

Posts in the WA forums are Ooc and unofficial, absent indication otherwise.
Please check out my roleplay thread The Battle of Glass Tears!
WA 101 Guides to GA authorship, campaigning, and more.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:25 pm

There seems to be this overwhelming compulsion to compete in a race to get the first draft up on the boards after a major game event. It really doesn't matter how mediocre, and just plain boring that draft is, as long as you win the race. There seems to be one competitor that routinely laps the competition time and time again, and this is no exception. I don't believe I would want to be known as the Usain Bolt of mediocrity, but that's just me.....
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Concrete Slab
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Concrete Slab » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:47 am

Dang, you got me.
*is shoved into a police van labeled BADGE HUNTING PREVENTION FORCE (BHPF)*
Goobergunchia wrote:
Concrete Slab wrote:Thanking Violet and her fellow Gods above for their work in restoring the almighty creation of the multiverse, for offering spiritual guidance to many unsure of their place in the world, and ensuring that any consequences of this cataclysm are relatively minor compared to the horrifying and suspenseful outage that left many with concern for the future,

Rule 3a - Declarations cannot cover site staff policy or decisions. (May I suggest this as a better way to express thanks?)

I was a little worried this clause might violate 3a. I've replaced it with a clause that declares the 23rd of December a holiday instead!
Tinhampton wrote:Food is temporary. Security Council Resolutions are forever.

We will never die
Wayneactia wrote:There seems to be this overwhelming compulsion to compete in a race to get the first draft up on the boards after a major game event. It really doesn't matter how mediocre, and just plain boring that draft is, as long as you win the race. There seems to be one competitor that routinely laps the competition time and time again, and this is no exception. I don't believe I would want to be known as the Usain Bolt of mediocrity, but that's just me.....

Well, I guess my logic is that the News tab is more of a Meta type statement. If something absolutely crazy happened irl, wouldn't world organizations release a statement? I figure I'm just putting the Declaration category to work. And hey, being known as the Usain Bolt of something is pretty cool.
Concrete Slab

Concrete Slab
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Concrete Slab » Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:47 pm

Does anyone have any more feedback? I’d like to put this out while it’s still relatively fresh.
Last edited by Concrete Slab on Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Concrete Slab

Millenhaal
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 20, 2021
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Millenhaal » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:52 pm

Do it, I suppose. Submit it.
WV105: 24th
WV106: 17th
MILLENHAAL: Chief Ambassador to the WA: Felix Kopperdoun, Vice-Ambassador: Eupraxie Sankt-Felip
Statsminister of Balder
I USE THEY/THEM PRONOUNS, PLEASE RESPECT THAT
My favorite color is purple. What's yours?
OH OH OH MY GOD, WHAT'S HAPPENING TO ME? WALKING DOWN MONTANA, OH OH OH!

Concrete Slab
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Concrete Slab » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:55 am

Millenhaal wrote:Do it, I suppose. Submit it.

I’m doing stuff all morning, but I’ll submit this afternoon if there’s no significant feedback.
Concrete Slab

Bhang Bhang Duc
Senator

Founded: Dec 17, 2003
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bhang Bhang Duc » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:30 am

Suspect the “shadow co-authored” bit might be illegal - R4(b).
Former Delegate of The West Pacific. Guardian (under many Delegates) of The West Pacific. TWP's Former Minister for World Assembly Affairs and former Security Council Advisor.

The West Pacific's Official Welshman, Astronomer and Old Fart
Pierconium wrote:I see Funk as an opportunistic manipulator that utilises the means available to him to reach his goals. In other words, a nation after my own heart.

RiderSyl wrote:If an enchantress made it so one raid could bring about world peace, Unibot would ask raiders to just sign a petition instead.

Sedgistan wrote:The SC has just has a spate of really shitty ones recently from Northumbria, his Watermelon fanboy…..

Concrete Slab
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Concrete Slab » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:52 am

Bhang Bhang Duc wrote:Suspect the “shadow co-authored” bit might be illegal - R4(b).

Oh yeah, I won’t put that in the actual proposal. That was just to acknowledge Morover’s help in the forums, appreciate it though!
Concrete Slab

Wiral
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 19, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Wiral » Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:34 pm

(ooc)
Resolving that to forever commemorate and remember this time of hardship, henceforth, all nations are encouraged to take four days off of this mortal plane, abstain from all worldly activities, and engage in deep introspection, every Twenty-Third of December[...]

Yeahhhh I'm not too sure about this part. Having nations just vanish for four days every year isn't the best idea. I know it's not outright enforced, but still.
forum 8 when
all ns stats and policies are non canon unless said otherwise
it's a miracle if you see me anywhere except forum 7

Concrete Slab
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Concrete Slab » Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:49 am

Wiral wrote:(ooc)
Resolving that to forever commemorate and remember this time of hardship, henceforth, all nations are encouraged to take four days off of this mortal plane, abstain from all worldly activities, and engage in deep introspection, every Twenty-Third of December[...]

Yeahhhh I'm not too sure about this part. Having nations just vanish for four days every year isn't the best idea. I know it's not outright enforced, but still.

Well, the holiday is mostly just a remembrance of the event. Declarations can’t exactly “do” anything and the clause only encourages.
Concrete Slab

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:04 am

The proposal is at vote! Personally, this is very surreal to me, and I'd like to thank the people who offered feedback and criticism and Concrete Slab for taking initiative on this. And of course, the dearly-departed (in the IC sense) Morover, who helped us write it.
Last edited by The Atlae Isles on Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Issues #752, #816, and #967
Delegate Emeritus of The East Pacific
WA Ambassador: George Williamsen
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."
Collecting TEP Cards! - Deputy Steward of TEAPOT

Rabotia
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 14, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Rabotia » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:33 am

Due to this provision, Rabotia opposes this proposal and is campaigning within The Communist Bloc for other nations within the Bloc to do the same. Commemorating an outage by behaving as though there is another outage seems like commemorating a hurricane by randomly bulldozing some buildings.
Chief Justice of The Communist Bloc

New Falkarth
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 29, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby New Falkarth » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:52 am

Rabotia wrote:

Due to this provision, Rabotia opposes this proposal and is campaigning within The Communist Bloc for other nations within the Bloc to do the same. Commemorating an outage by behaving as though there is another outage seems like commemorating a hurricane by randomly bulldozing some buildings.

I have to agree with Rabotia here. The Declaration is nice and I would vote for it, if it wasn't for that provision. As it is now however, I have to vote against it.

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:28 pm

Rabotia wrote:

George Williamsen, the WA ambassador from The Atlae Isles, rises to speak.

"We advocate for no such thing. This is simply an act of remembrance not too dissimilar from other holidays. Even in your example, a day or moment of silence may be set aside for the victims who perished in the hurricane, or whose lives and livelihoods were irreparably changed because of it. If not, then I'd like to call into question how the delegation from Rabotia commemorates their events."
Author of Issues #752, #816, and #967
Delegate Emeritus of The East Pacific
WA Ambassador: George Williamsen
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."
Collecting TEP Cards! - Deputy Steward of TEAPOT

Bear Connors Paradiso
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Bear Connors Paradiso » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:46 pm

The Atlae Isles wrote:
Rabotia wrote:

George Williamsen, the WA ambassador from The Atlae Isles, rises to speak.

"We advocate for no such thing. This is simply an act of remembrance not too dissimilar from other holidays. Even in your example, a day or moment of silence may be set aside for the victims who perished in the hurricane, or whose lives and livelihoods were irreparably changed because of it. If not, then I'd like to call into question how the delegation from Rabotia commemorates their events."

I'm sure you don't have 4 day remembrances for hurricanes that took 4 days to go through your country. A single statement of remembrance, maybe. An entire 4 day moratorium? Big NO to that.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives