NATION

PASSWORD

[ON HOLD] Assertion of Mission Statement

A chamber dedicated to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary.
Abacathea
Minister

Founded: Nov 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

[ON HOLD] Assertion of Mission Statement

Postby Abacathea » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:52 am

Good afternoon folks! Long time since I've attempted to author anything, and I'm interested with these declaration things, I'm also acutely aware of the fact that no one else has attempted to propose (that I've seen) this idea, so, I figure I'll give it a try.

Assertion of Mission Statement

Category: Declaration
Type: Declare

The World Assembly,

Recognizing the formation of this august assembly in 2008 its the evolution in 2009 to two bodies; the esteemed international legislature that is the General Assembly and the international watchdog that is the Security Council,

Acknowledging the unquestionable commitment of both bodies to the development, betterment and protection of nations, member states or otherwise,

Hereby;

i. Formally declares that the fundamental principles of both esteemed bodies will never be less than the advancement, betterment, development and protection of the rights of member nations and their populace,

ii. Informs all nations, member states or otherwise, that the World Assembly will continue, as long as it is an established body, to pursue only the most noble and well intended purposes with the goal of achieving the underpinning fundamental principle,

iii. Stresses that despite the presence of individual charters and commitments of the Assembly and Council respectively, this Declaration will be a true, public facing, unilateral commitment to the never ending work of this esteemed body.

My concern is this seems so simple and straightforward to me, that I'm really surprised it hasn't been proposed already, but I submit for consideration and feedback regardless.
Last edited by Abacathea on Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:05 am, edited 11 times in total.
G.A #236; Renewable Energy Installations (Repealed)
G.A #239; Vehicle Emissions Convention (Repealed).
G.A #257; Reducing Automobile Emissions (Repealed).
G.A #263; Uranium Mining Standards Act
G.A #279; Right of Emigration
G.A #292; Nuclear Security Convention
(Co-Author)
G.A #363; Preservation of Artefacts (repealed)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #120; Commend Mousebumples
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
S.C #124; Commend Bears Armed
S.C #125; Commend The Bruce
S.C #126; Commend Sanctaria
S.C #131: Commend NewTexas
(Co-Author)
S.C #136; Repeal "Liberate St Abbaddon" (Co-Author)
S.C #143; Commend Hobbesistan
S.C #146; Repeal "Liberate Hogwarts"

Minskiev
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:57 am

Ah shit, here we go again.

I don't have any problems with the proposal itself (although I'm sure there are better words to replace "further informs"). It just seems a bit...ehh. Unnecessary.
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 15x WA author. Join the RRA here.

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:59 am

Minskiev wrote:Ah shit, here we go again.

I don't have any problems with the proposal itself (although I'm sure there are better words to replace "further informs"). It just seems a bit...ehh. Unnecessary.

I'm a bit meh on further informs myself, so I'd be happy to change the wording but I'm drawing a blank with the cobwebs in finding a more suitable word.

As for the "here we go again" I wasn't aware this had been done before. Unnecessary could be considered when it comes to any declaration really when you think about it, maybe i'm not getting it but they seem so, common sense. But I've always been an avid fan of the WA and I think a universal declaration of "this is who we are and what we're about" is a nice addition to the books.
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Great Algerstonia
Minister

Founded: Mar 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Algerstonia » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:00 am

Pre-emptive support based on a quick skim. Good idea.
Anti: Russia
Pro: Prussia
Resilient Acceleration wrote:After a period of letting this discussion run its course without my involvement due to sheer laziness and a new related NS project, I have returned with an answer and that answer is Israel.

Minskiev
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:03 am

Abacathea wrote:
Minskiev wrote:Ah shit, here we go again.

I'm a bit meh on further informs myself, so I'd be happy to change the wording but I'm drawing a blank with the cobwebs in finding a more suitable word.

As for the "here we go again" I wasn't aware this had been done before. Unnecessary could be considered when it comes to any declaration really when you think about it, maybe i'm not getting it but they seem so, common sense. But I've always been an avid fan of the WA and I think a universal declaration of "this is who we are and what we're about" is a nice addition to the books.

Oh, no, I meant "you're writing again" (not as an insult ok maybe I should think more before I type), not "oh not this proposal again".
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 15x WA author. Join the RRA here.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:05 am

Principals?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:05 am

Minskiev wrote:
Abacathea wrote:

Oh, no, I meant "you're writing again" (not as an insult ok maybe I should think more before I type), not "oh not this proposal again".

LOL sorry for the misinterpretation on my part so :) I didn't think my writing had been that impactful especially given how many years have passed since I last passed anything through :rofl:
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:06 am

Tinhampton wrote:Principals?

Good catch, fixed.
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Aivintis
Envoy

Founded: Nov 11, 2018
Father Knows Best State

Postby Aivintis » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:10 am

“Further informs member states that despite … that this declaration” could be “Stresses that, despite …, this declaration”.
So just a word choice to replace further informs, except it also cuts out “member states” and the redundant repeat “that”

Oh no, we’ve all been called to the Principal’s office.

Minskiev
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:13 am

Abacathea wrote:
Minskiev wrote:

LOL sorry for the misinterpretation on my part so :) I didn't think my writing had been that impactful especially given how many years have passed since I last passed anything through :rofl:

No, it was really my poor wording :p

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:19 am

Aivintis wrote:“Further informs member states that despite … that this declaration” could be “Stresses that, despite …, this declaration”.
So just a word choice to replace further informs, except it also cuts out “member states” and the redundant repeat “that”

Oh no, we’ve all been called to the Principal’s office.

Addressed, thank you :)
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Morover
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:33 am

Gregory Perise, Morovian Ambassador to the Security Council.

"I wholeheartedly support this proposal - and welcome back the Abacathean delegation from their hiatus. I will note, however, that there are some minor grammatical errors and inconsistencies with the punctuation - I'm of the belief that the punctuation following the operative clauses should end in a semi-colon, but a comma also works. A period is definitively incorrect, in the current format."
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:41 am

Morover wrote:Gregory Perise, Morovian Ambassador to the Security Council.

"I wholeheartedly support this proposal - and welcome back the Abacathean delegation from their hiatus. I will note, however, that there are some minor grammatical errors and inconsistencies with the punctuation - I'm of the belief that the punctuation following the operative clauses should end in a semi-colon, but a comma also works. A period is definitively incorrect, in the current format."

I believe these have now been addressed and I thank you for your feedback and support. I am considering adding a final, "operative" clause as such of;

We the Assembly, hereby declare our intent.
Last edited by Abacathea on Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:47 am

Abacathea wrote:
Morover wrote:Gregory Perise, Morovian Ambassador to the Security Council.

I believe these have now been addressed and I thank you for your feedback and support. I am considering adding a final, "operative" clause as such of;

Gregory Perise.

"My apologies - the final operative clause should have a period - it's the previous clauses that should be commas. I also don't believe that such a final clause is inherently necessary, and would cheapen the proposal as a whole."
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:35 pm

Morover wrote:
Abacathea wrote:

Gregory Perise.

"My apologies - the final operative clause should have a period - it's the previous clauses that should be commas. I also don't believe that such a final clause is inherently necessary, and would cheapen the proposal as a whole."

After due consideration, I agree.
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:24 pm

t*he

random asterisk

Also, the title needs to be clearer on what this proposal is about, cause I didn’t know what it meant until I read the draft.

I don’t understand why such a proposal is needed, anyways
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:03 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:
t*he

random asterisk

Also, the title needs to be clearer on what this proposal is about, cause I didn’t know what it meant until I read the draft.

No idea how that happened but fixed.

I agree the title could be changed yet. I’m considering something along the lines or Declaration of Mission Statement or something to that end.

As for the purpose of it, I tend (without any disrespect intended) to think it’s somewhat self explanatory. If declarations are now a thing then certainly a priority should be to declare our goals and objectives
Last edited by Abacathea on Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Morover
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:15 pm

Abacathea wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:
random asterisk

I agree the title could be changed yet. I’m considering something along the lines or Declaration of Mission Statement or something to that end.

As for the purpose of it, I tend (without any disrespect intended) to think it’s somewhat self explanatory. If declarations are now a thing then certainly a priority should be to declare our goals and objectives

OOC:
I tend to think that declarations should avoid having "declaration" in the title - something like "World Assembly Mission Statement" or "Intentions of the World Assembly" would work great.
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Minskiev
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:17 pm

Need to update the resolution title in the OP and not just the title of the thread

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:17 pm

Morover wrote:
Abacathea wrote:

OOC:
I tend to think that declarations should avoid having "declaration" in the title - something like "World Assembly Mission Statement" or "Intentions of the World Assembly" would work great.

OOC: I'm inclined to agree entirely, I was just having major brain fog when I started the draft earlier, and I wanted to go through a drafting process after so many years for this very reason. I've changed the title, I'm not sure I'm keen on assertion yet, but it's certainly clearer than the former title at any rate.
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:18 pm

Minskiev wrote:Need to update the resolution title in the OP and not just the title of the thread

I literally just changed it lol
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Gorundu
Envoy

Founded: May 02, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gorundu » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:19 am

I'd rather see this one getting passed. At least it says something concrete, even if that is "the SC has no legislative power".
Former Delegate of The North Pacific

Badge hunter (x3)
Former lurker of WA forums
Author of GA#485, GA#516, SC#337 and the other one we don't talk about
Posts do not represent my region's views unless stated otherwise.

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:25 am

Gorundu wrote:I'd rather see this one getting passed. At least it says something concrete, even if that is "the SC has no legislative power".

I wasn’t aware it existed, having read it though, it appears to be somewhat critical of the Security Council in its composition, something I am not a fan of. I will be pursuing this accordingly. Apologies if this one isn’t to your tastes.
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Gorundu
Envoy

Founded: May 02, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gorundu » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:14 am

Abacathea wrote:
Gorundu wrote:I'd rather see this one getting passed. At least it says something concrete, even if that is "the SC has no legislative power".

I wasn’t aware it existed, having read it though, it appears to be somewhat critical of the Security Council in its composition, something I am not a fan of. I will be pursuing this accordingly. Apologies if this one isn’t to your tastes.

Critical? No, just blunt.
Former Delegate of The North Pacific

Badge hunter (x3)
Former lurker of WA forums
Author of GA#485, GA#516, SC#337 and the other one we don't talk about
Posts do not represent my region's views unless stated otherwise.

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:16 am

Gorundu wrote:
Abacathea wrote:

Critical? No, just blunt.

We'll have to agree to disagree here. Interpretation is always going to play a factor in drafting, but what you've linked me too appears to be a less than thinly veiled attempt to state "The Security Council is a toothless dog" behind the veil of a mission statement, and I don't agree with it nor do I like it.

I will pursue my own interest and objective and we'll let the nations decide if it gets to vote. I thank you for your input regardless.

OOC: i accept that many players dont particularily care for the SC, and the draft you've linked me too looks like exactly that, a player who doesnt care for the SC admonishing the SC in the guise of a declaration, I don't like it because I'd be the opposite side of the spectrum. Simple as.
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Security Council