NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "Commend the Western Isles"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:19 am

Maybe if we stopped passing shit, we wouldn't have to take back these commendations. Just a suggestion.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:06 am

Nova Vandalia wrote:
Comfed wrote:The SC is about writing quality resolutions. Generally when the bad ones get repealed they are replaced with something better. If I write a commend for, say, Amerion and it doesn’t talk about his achievements in defending, Lazarus or TSP then what kind of an award is it? The SC has always been about good writing and to suggest we get rid of that is ridiculous.

Right, the SC's writing community is about writing quality resolutions. Not the actual SC body, most people couldn't give a darn that's why stuff like this commend gets passed in the first place. SC writers are few and far between, good writers even truer. It's a pretty darn exclusionary bunch yet one that gets to pass judgment on every other aspect of the game, whether that part of the game wants it to or not. Sometimes it's a good thing like when we all join together to get rid of Fascist strongholds, but when it comes to handing out awards it kind of shit, and pretending like it isn't mean you've just been lucky enough to not be on the shit side of it. Again most organizations don't hand awards and take them back willy nilly because the award had a dent in it.

Correct, but the SC is not an awards show. And is not RL.
I mean genuinely should we repeal St.Abby's liberate because it's not well written? No.

Well, liberations are different. They have material consequences.
Should we repeal XKI's commend because it old and isn't up to modern snuff, no.
Should we go back and repeal every single one that before the "legal" check were put into place referenced NS or outside sources, No.
That would violate SC rules, so no.

Let the people have their awards gosh dang it. XD

They do keep the awards. They just get better. This is my point.
People keep saying it's just part of the game and that's my bloody point, a game where we make the rules and we've ruled that we can smash your sand castle if it ain't pretty enough. We can choose to be more lenient and let other folks feel awarded, instead of tossing arbitrary crap on the fire like and this a hyperbolic example "Must play for at least 3 years, authored either 5 WA resolutions or 3 issues, participated in R/D, has held at least 5 positions in various regions." because our current measure of "game changing" as a minimum is the ridiculous thing here.

What? We pass RP resolutions. We pass issues resolutions. We even pass resolutions for trading cards. There is no “arbitrary crap” and besides the lower our standards the lower the value of a C/C.
Comfed wrote:For one thing, OOC stuff says OOC, and does not belong in the Security Council.

The change to make C/C completely IC was a terrible decision and it absolutely did not used to be that way. It leaves out such a large part of the community, worthy of praise and left the negative connation of the old OOC condemns stuck to it. I've been playing this game for close to 8 + years on various accounts and this was genuinely one of the worst decisions.

There is a very important barrier between IC events and OOC events. People can be praised for OOC things by OOC institutions, which the SC is not and you ignore this at your peril.
Comfed wrote:Have one’s C/C repealed and then replaced isn’t a punishment, it is merely making one’s C/C better.

Replaced yeah, but that doesn't always happen as a matter of fact recently it's happening less and less. Wintony, Mark, this one potentially.
Are all recent repeals based on the writing that offered no replacement at all. Two's a coincidence, three is a bloody pattern and that's what we're headed towards.

Actually, that was because a lot of folks didn’t think that the nominee deserved it.
If placements where being prompted and actually done, I probably wouldn't be so up in arms. I'd still be critical of a few things, but they're not being put forward.

Comfed wrote:What do you mean by more flavourful/personal anyways?

I feel like some of the best SC and GA proposals are the tongue in cheek ones, but lately it's all lists and no personality.

I agree with you on that - laundry list proposals should burn.

Nova Vandalia
Envoy

Founded: Jan 19, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Vandalia » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:08 am

Comfed wrote: Correct, but the SC is not an awards show. And is not RL.

No it's not it's so far removed that I think we need to take an honest look and re-evaluate it, is what I'm suggesting to think that the SC system is perfect is perfectly fine and can't use any criticism or change is ridiculous.

Comfed wrote: Well, liberations are different. They have material consequences.

I agree that they're different but as you all have pointed out these are "SC" standards. That We choose to apply, and we have the choice to apply it differently like we do to Liberations.

Comfed wrote:They do keep the awards. They just get better. This is my point.

Except they don't.

Comfed wrote:Actually, that was because a lot of folks didn’t think that the nominee deserved it.

Both Marks, and Wintony's were based on the quality of the writing not on the lack of merits of the individuals. So according to you they should have, or the repeals should have been written based on their perceived lack of commendable attributes correct? Or does the actually resolution all of a sudden not matter?

Comfed wrote:What? We pass RP resolutions. We pass issues resolutions. We even pass resolutions for trading cards. There is no “arbitrary crap” and besides the lower our standards the lower the value of a C/C.

I said I was being hyperbolic but my point being is that we do lets those, and yet required a much higher standard for GP compared to those areas, which is my issue with it.

Comfed wrote: There is a very important barrier between IC events and OOC events. People can be praised for OOC things by OOC institutions, which the SC is not and you ignore this at your peril.

I'm saying it used to be and it was better back then.

Aand "at your peril" ...really. This is the over serious stuff I'm talking about, and frankly something I surprised you went too.

Comfed wrote:I agree with you on that - laundry list proposals should burn.

Full agreement here. ^-^ Glad we got at least somewhere my friend.

I mean I'm not saying like the SC is wrong every time, but for fucks sake we need to slow down and re-evaluate it, and our standards, and figure out if we're being overly pendatic, and overly serious. In the grand scheme of thing TWI having a commend doesn't matter. I'm still for the repeal of it, I'm just not sure that it's fair to write a resolution based on the "writing of the commend" and then to turn around and say it's ok to vote for the repeal because they're not commendable and ignore actual resolution. When asking the same when it comes to giving the commends is a different standard.
If my tone is coming off as a little harsh, please call me out on it, I rarely mean to come off that way.

Be Ruthless to Systems, Be Kind to People.

Makdon
Envoy

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Makdon » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:53 am

Nova Vandalia wrote:
Right, the SC's writing community is about writing quality resolutions. Not the actual SC body, most people couldn't give a darn that's why stuff like this commend gets passed in the first place. SC writers are few and far between, good writers even truer. It's a pretty darn exclusionary bunch yet one that gets to pass judgment on every other aspect of the game, whether that part of the game wants it to or not. Sometimes it's a good thing like when we all join together to get rid of Fascist strongholds, but when it comes to handing out awards it kind of shit, and pretending like it isn't mean you've just been lucky enough to not be on the shit side of it. Again most organizations don't hand awards and take them back willy nilly because the award had a dent in it.

You can complain all you like about how exclusionary the SC is, but no one's excluding you. You, or anyone else, are welcome to try your hand at writing. Yet instead you complain about how you would be excluded if you did try. Be the change you wish to see, or shut up.
I mean genuinely should we repeal St.Abby's liberate because it's not well written? No.
Should we repeal XKI's commend because it old and isn't up to modern snuff, no.
Should we go back and repeal every single one that before the "legal" check were put into place referenced NS or outside sources, No.

None of these examples are like commend halo or commend TWI. Liberations are functional. There's quite a bit of of a debate about whether old proposals should be updated in quality. Repealing things for being rule breaking is illegal. Those are the reasons those won't be repealed, none of which apply to commend halo or commend TWI.
Let the people have their awards gosh dang it. XD

People keep saying it's just part of the game and that's my bloody point, a game where we make the rules and we've ruled that we can smash your sand castle if it ain't pretty enough. We can choose to be more lenient and let other folks feel awarded, instead of tossing arbitrary crap on the fire like and this a hyperbolic example "Must play for at least 3 years, authored either 5 WA resolutions or 3 issues, participated in R/D, has held at least 5 positions in various regions." because our current measure of "game changing" as a minimum is the ridiculous thing here.

I love this, because you're blaming the "SC community" for having arbitrary standards, and do so by pulling arbitrary standards out of your ass. Now, while the things you're citing are obviously bs, there is some truth here. The SC does have standards. Would you rather C&Cs are handed out willy nilly, with no consistent quality expectations?
The change to make C/C completely IC was a terrible decision and it absolutely did not used to be that way. It leaves out such a large part of the community, worthy of praise and left the negative connation of the old OOC condemns stuck to it. I've been playing this game for close to 8 + years on various accounts and this was genuinely one of the worst decisions.

What? In my mind, being IC not OOC is an obvious choice. The SC is not the place to recognize OOC problems, like fascism, homophobia, or sexual predation, and I think that should be obvious. And OOC good actions can almost always be written in an IC way. IC vs OOC is the wrong tree to be barking up.
Replaced yeah, but that doesn't always happen as a matter of fact recently it's happening less and less. Wintony, Mark, this one potentially.
Are all recent repeals based on the writing that offered no replacement at all. Two's a coincidence, three is a bloody pattern and that's what we're headed towards.

If placements where being prompted and actually done, I probably wouldn't be so up in arms. I'd still be critical of a few things, but they're not being put forward.

Stop citing repeal commend wintony as an example of a repeal based off of writing quality. It wasn't at all. The entire text is devoted to showing how Wintony's accomplishments aren't worthy, without any reference to commend wintony's writing. Get your facts straight. Also, don't get on here and complain about SCers not writing replacements. If you have the time to make these posts, you have the time to write replacements. Anyone can do it, and the fact you don't even try and instead prattle on about how others won't do it for you doesn't add to your credibility.
I feel like some of the best SC and GA proposals are the tongue in cheek ones, but lately it's all lists and no personality.

Ok, yeah. What does this have to do with the rest of your post?
⁝ Former World Assembly Officer of The Rejected Realms ⁝ 2 x SCR author ⁝ Question Mark ⁝

Nova Vandalia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Vandalia » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:31 am

Makdon wrote:You can complain all you like about how exclusionary the SC is, but no one's excluding you. You, or anyone else, are welcome to try your hand at writing. Yet instead you complain about how you would be excluded if you did try. Be the change you wish to see, or shut up.

I am trying to start the conversation, and I have just as much right to post in here as you do, and absolutely love sentiment tell some to shut up because you don't disagree with them. No reason for the bloody hostility. I wasn't being hostile, just critical of the SC.

Makdon wrote:I love this, because you're blaming the "SC community" for having arbitrary standards, and do so by pulling arbitrary standards out of your ass. Now, while the things you're citing are obviously bs, there is some truth here. The SC does have standards. Would you rather C&Cs are handed out willy nilly, with no consistent quality expectations?

Sure. I have no problem with this. Either hold each area up to the same standards or none, be bloody equitable.

Makdon wrote:What? In my mind, being IC not OOC is an obvious choice. The SC is not the place to recognize OOC problems, like fascism, homophobia, or sexual predation, and I think that should be obvious. And OOC good actions can almost always be written in an IC way. IC vs OOC is the wrong tree to be barking up.

It's just my opinion, I fully do think the that the community should banned to gather to fight against those problems more so than they already do. I mean sure. The Mods are to be neutral but the community doesn't. The only reason Fascism and homophobia continue on this site is because we can't get our act together because of IC reasons. XD

Makdon wrote: Stop citing repeal commend wintony as an example of a repeal based off of writing quality. It wasn't at all. The entire text is devoted to showing how Wintony's accomplishments aren't worthy, without any reference to commend wintony's writing.

A shit no yeah you're right that is my bad again. XD I don't know why I have it in my head about that one. Genuine and true apologies and I apologies for misspeaking throughout this conversation on that one. That one is firmly about the merit. Eating crow there.

Makdon wrote:Anyone can do it, and the fact you don't even try and instead prattle on about how others won't do it for you doesn't add to your credibility.

I'm not a writer. I have trouble expressing my thoughts, I get over emotional. I've always had trouble. Sorry I'm not great at it I guess?
So yeah, maybe don't so critical, and allow people to speak their mind without trying to shut them down in the forums?

Makdon wrote:Ok, yeah. What does this have to do with the rest of your post?

Well considering the entire thing that set this all of was target at OP who I had had a conversation about that with, it was targeted towards him just saying that we agreed on something.
Last edited by Nova Vandalia on Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
If my tone is coming off as a little harsh, please call me out on it, I rarely mean to come off that way.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:40 am

Nova Vandalia wrote:
Makdon wrote:You can complain all you like about how exclusionary the SC is, but no one's excluding you. You, or anyone else, are welcome to try your hand at writing. Yet instead you complain about how you would be excluded if you did try. Be the change you wish to see, or shut up.

I am trying to start the conversation, and I have just as much right to post in here as you do, and absolutely love sentiment tell some to shut up because you don't disagree with them. No reason for the bloody hostility. I wasn't being hostile, just critical of the SC.

Lmao your whining isn't any more constructive than not doing so, so don't waste ur energy.

Makdon wrote:I love this, because you're blaming the "SC community" for having arbitrary standards, and do so by pulling arbitrary standards out of your ass. Now, while the things you're citing are obviously bs, there is some truth here. The SC does have standards. Would you rather C&Cs are handed out willy nilly, with no consistent quality expectations?

Sure. I have no problem with this. Either hold each area up to the same standards or none, be bloody equitable.

How? There are objective and subjective achievements. Issues are objective. RP? Less. Also saying we should commend anyone because standards are 'unfair' is absolutely ludicrous I'm shocked you're not just winding us up.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Nova Vandalia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Vandalia » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:52 am

Honeydewistania wrote: Lmao your whining isn't any more constructive than not doing so, so don't waste ur energy.

Right obviously any criticism is whining, I mean I wouldn't even be having this out with y'all as mine initial comment was directed towards Bormiar, based on another conversation we had. At no point in this thread have I gotten hostile and when I've worried about my statements sounding overly accusatory I've tried to explain them in a way that isn't. If you're not wanting to be a part of this discourse you have a right not to, but if you want to be involved then at least have the wherewithal to add something constructive please.

Honeydewistania wrote:How? There are objective and subjective achievements. Issues are objective. RP? Less. Also saying we should commend anyone because standards are 'unfair' is absolutely ludicrous I'm shocked you're not just winding us up.

What I'm saying is stop acting like the SC is this completely impartial unbiased body, which you just did by saying it's subjective in regards to RP, now extend that to GP, we're on the same page, just be blatant about it as community and don't hide behind a fake veneer of objectivity at all times, and if you think you don't check with the rest of the community there is a reason the SC gets so much slack.

Bormiar
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bormiar » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:53 pm

I have to say I'm very happy I missed that previous argument. I have an opinion, but it's just too toxic tbh.

I made some slight changes to the unimpressed clause to make it a bit nicer, per Praetor's suggestion. Because it was only a small change, I'll submit tomorrow. Last call.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:27 pm

Why are you submitting tomorrow? You said in the OP that you hope for a replacement and the original doesn't do TWI justice - yet one hasn't been drafted on the forums yet.

Bormiar
Ambassador

Postby Bormiar » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:50 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:Why are you submitting tomorrow? You said in the OP that you hope for a replacement and the original doesn't do TWI justice - yet one hasn't been drafted on the forums yet.

This replacement thing is very confusing to me. Had things gone our way and the resolution failed, TWI wouldn't be commended and there would be no replacement. So why are they now required to get one immediately?

I understand the problems with the resolution and am perfectly capable of repealing it, but I don't believe I'm the best person to write the replacement. That being said, I contacted an experienced member of the region who showed interest in this repeal and I told them I would help them obtain a replacement that did TWI justice. They told me they believed their regionmates didn't really care about a commendation, as their isolationist philosophy/nature makes it impossible to recognize or respect a WA commendation. With that in mind, I couldn't possibly consider Commend TWI a priority or benefit to anyone.

The Security Council has existed almost 12 years without commending the Western Isles. Seeing that not even the region cares about it, I think we can wait a little longer before commending them again.

Greater Cesnica's draft is a start and certainly gave TWI a lot more publicity than it's used to. I think it's got a good shot at getting replaced soon.
Last edited by Bormiar on Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:55 pm

Bormiar wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:Why are you submitting tomorrow? You said in the OP that you hope for a replacement and the original doesn't do TWI justice - yet one hasn't been drafted on the forums yet.

This replacement thing is very confusing to me. Had things gone our way and the resolution failed, TWI wouldn't be commended and there would be no replacement. So why are they now required to get one immediately?

I actually couldn't care less, but you mentioned in the OP so it was relevant.

Bormiar
Ambassador

Postby Bormiar » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:25 am

Flying Eagles
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 04, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Flying Eagles » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:38 pm

Bormiar wrote:Unimpressed by the drafting of SC#336 “Commend the Western Isles”, whose author mistakenly attempted to rush the proposal to the floor of the Security Council, went silent whenever a nation provided constructive criticism, ignored or gave curt, unsubstantive responses to virtually every genuine question from voters, and failed to change the proposal very much in an absurd twelve drafts,

Finding a final blow to “Commend the Western Isles” in the fact that of the few nations which voiced support for SC#336 in the public drafting area, many did so while admitting that the proposal was too poorly written for their liking, implying that the Western Isles is respected, but the same nations which respect it feel SC#336 did not do it justice,

None of what I’ve quoted is necessary in this repeal. Retain focus on explaining why the text of the resolution itself is insufficient. Remove focus from the actions of the author, and remove focus from the general public opinion of the masses. They aren’t relevant to the text at hand.
XKI TITO Field Commander

The Yellow Emperor
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Yellow Emperor » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:28 am

Support. No Replacement until they can get one at the most appropriate time.

Comfed
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:24 am

This is now at vote.

United States of Americanas
Envoy

Founded: Jan 23, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby United States of Americanas » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:47 am

At the end of the day, the whole bloody security consuls nothing more than badge hunting
Political Compass as of Jul 17 2022

Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.15

Damn right I’m a liberal democratic socialist. I sit in the ranks of Caroline Lucas

Comfed
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:41 pm

United States of Americanas wrote:At the end of the day, the whole bloody security consuls nothing more than badge hunting

It’s council, not consul, and yes that is the point of C/Cs but not Liberations, and it’s rather offensive for you to diminish a whole game community as “badge hunting”.

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:26 pm

United States of Americanas wrote:At the end of the day, the whole bloody security consuls nothing more than badge hunting

Seeing as Bormiar already has 5 resolutions under their belt, I doubt that the primary motivation behind this is for a shiny badge.
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:41 pm

And given the first opportunity, you would likely leap at the chance of acquiring your own badge as well.
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Refuge Isle
Technical Moderator

Founded: Dec 14, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Refuge Isle » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:04 pm

"Repeal "Commend The Western Isles" was passed 9,498 votes to 3,403."

Bhang Bhang Duc
Senator

Founded: Dec 17, 2003
Democratic Socialists

Postby Bhang Bhang Duc » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:04 am

Refuge Isle wrote:

Good!
Former Delegate of The West Pacific. Guardian (under many Delegates) of The West Pacific. TWP's Former Minister for World Assembly Affairs and former Security Council Advisor.

The West Pacific's Official Welshman, Astronomer and Old Fart
Pierconium wrote:I see Funk as an opportunistic manipulator that utilises the means available to him to reach his goals. In other words, a nation after my own heart.

RiderSyl wrote:If an enchantress made it so one raid could bring about world peace, Unibot would ask raiders to just sign a petition instead.

Sedgistan wrote:The SC has just has a spate of really shitty ones recently from Northumbria, his Watermelon fanboy…..

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:09 am

Bhang Bhang Duc wrote:
Refuge Isle wrote:

Good!

It seems the system does actually work.
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Shanzie
Envoy

Founded: Dec 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanzie » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:11 am

I'm truthfully confused as to the energy behind the repeal. Twi didn't ask for the commendation nor did we fight the repeal. Most of us voted for it lol.

Bhang Bhang Duc
Senator

Founded: Dec 17, 2003
Democratic Socialists

Postby Bhang Bhang Duc » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:45 am

Shanzie wrote:I'm truthfully confused as to the energy behind the repeal. Twi didn't ask for the commendation nor did we fight the repeal. Most of us voted for it lol.

There was no animosity towards TWI - as you say you didn't ask for the Commendation. It was about removing a poorly written and researched resolution from the books.
Former Delegate of The West Pacific. Guardian (under many Delegates) of The West Pacific. TWP's Former Minister for World Assembly Affairs and former Security Council Advisor.

The West Pacific's Official Welshman, Astronomer and Old Fart
Pierconium wrote:I see Funk as an opportunistic manipulator that utilises the means available to him to reach his goals. In other words, a nation after my own heart.

RiderSyl wrote:If an enchantress made it so one raid could bring about world peace, Unibot would ask raiders to just sign a petition instead.

Sedgistan wrote:The SC has just has a spate of really shitty ones recently from Northumbria, his Watermelon fanboy…..

Aruia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aruia » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:13 am

Shanzie wrote:I'm truthfully confused as to the energy behind the repeal. Twi didn't ask for the commendation nor did we fight the repeal. Most of us voted for it lol.

it will help some nations who play the WA game sleep better at night :roll:
Visit Aruias factbook meet the nation of the hoopoes

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives