NATION

PASSWORD

[JOKE][ABANDONED] Commend Deruuu

A chamber dedicated to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Zizou
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Zizou » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:02 pm

New Tussia wrote:
Zizou wrote:It's true that in his showcase, he did move to this questionable region. However, as you recall during his showcase, he explicitly mentioned that this was an accident, and he didn't realize what he was joining into. He also mentions that he is not exactly on board with the premise of the region as a whole.

EDIT: I would also like to take this opportunity to mention that this was probably the least impactful part of the showcase, as the impact felt by new nations moving into Layem is considerably less than is implied by "leading his fanbase into the region". The only influx that can be tied to the showcase is an increase of about ~10-13 nations.

Layem did grow a lot. Plus, he never even saw the region's Discord I'm assuming and also the only reason he said he wasn't on board with the region was due to him making his nation a dictatorship.

While he didn't necessarily elaborate on why he wasn't on board with the region, he doesn't actively encourage his fanbase to go there. And the ~10-13 nation gain is minimal compared to the thousands of new nations created overall as a result of this showcase.

South Reinkalistan wrote:Fully against. In my eyes, a semi-popular youtuber simply recording a video on NationStates is no grounds for commendation.

Normally, I would agree: simply being popular while not having contributed anything of value should not be grounds for a commendation. However, this is not the case, as we can see that within a week of joining NS, he managed to gain a deep understanding of how update works, and found a way to take advantage of it to stop a raid, leading to the creation of a revolutionary new defender tactic to stop raids with only 1 updater.

He can only be regarded as a true strategic mastermind for coming up with this, and other defenders would do well to take note.
Zizou Vytherov-Skollvaldr
LTN in The Black Hawks
Meishu of the former Red Sun Army
Parxland wrote:It might somehow give me STDs through the computer screen with how often you hop between different groups of people.

South Reinkalistan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Reinkalistan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:05 pm

Zizou wrote:Normally, I would agree: simply being popular while not having contributed anything of value should not be grounds for a commendation. However, this is not the case, as we can see that within a week of joining NS, he managed to gain a deep understanding of how update works, and found a way to take advantage of it to stop a raid, leading to the creation of a revolutionary new defender tactic to stop raids with only 1 updater.

He can only be regarded as a true strategic mastermind for coming up with this, and other defenders would do well to take note.

Honestly, I'm not sure what you mean by this because I don't really follow Drew Durnil and I ultimately don't care. Whether he found a new tactic or you're just memeing (and I heavily suspect the latter), it's still no grounds for commendation alone.

Still, no support.
THE PEOPLE ETERNAL
" We will not bow to your dictation. We are free. We bled to be free.
Who are you to tell us what we may and may not do? We stopped being your slaves an era ago. "
South Reinkalistan is a massive, ecologically-diverse nation notable for its roving student militias and widespread hatred for the elderly.
In the midst of a room-temperature cultural revolution that's lost its momentum, the Party carefully plans its next move.
As the brittle bones of fragile empires begin to crack beneath their own weight, history's symphony reaches crescendo pitch. The future is all but certain.

Aurum Raider
Envoy

Founded: Sep 18, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Aurum Raider » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:10 pm

South Reinkalistan wrote:Honestly, I'm not sure what you mean by this because I don't really follow Drew Durnil and I ultimately don't care. Whether he found a new tactic or you're just memeing (and I heavily suspect the latter), it's still no grounds for commendation alone.

Still, no support.

It's a meme that's not at all a joke. An influx of 7,000 nations caused such a disruption game-side that a raid had to be called off. Whether you follow the guy or not, the immediate impact he's had on the game is undeniable.
Vleerian Vytherov-Denral
Cognitohazard

The North Polish Union wrote:Additionally, virtually all founderless regions are viewed as falling under the defenders' allegedly protective purview. This is a form of colonialism that the great imperialist regions of NS history could only dream of.

South Reinkalistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby South Reinkalistan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:12 pm

Aurum Raider wrote:
South Reinkalistan wrote:Honestly, I'm not sure what you mean by this because I don't really follow Drew Durnil and I ultimately don't care. Whether he found a new tactic or you're just memeing (and I heavily suspect the latter), it's still no grounds for commendation alone.

Still, no support.

It's a meme that's not at all a joke. An influx of 7,000 nations caused such a disruption game-side that a raid had to be called off. Whether you follow the guy or not, the immediate impact he's had on the game is undeniable.

Is this impact positive? You mention that he's caused a disruption. It's still just fucking over a raid through his popularity alone. And it's not commendable.

All Drew's done is joined the game. That's it. And you want to commend him for it. This will probably give the game new users, yes, but I honestly don't think that he's put in the required effort to be commended.

I still stand against this.
THE PEOPLE ETERNAL
Who are you to tell us what we may and may not do? We stopped being your slaves an era ago. "
South Reinkalistan is a massive, ecologically-diverse nation notable for its roving student militias and widespread hatred for the elderly.
In the midst of a room-temperature cultural revolution that's lost its momentum, the Party carefully plans its next move.
As the brittle bones of fragile empires begin to crack beneath their own weight, history's symphony reaches crescendo pitch. The future is all but certain.

Aurum Raider
Envoy

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Aurum Raider » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:15 pm

South Reinkalistan wrote:Is this impact positive? You mention that he's caused a disruption. It's still just fucking over a raid through his popularity alone. And it's not commendable.

It stopped a raid party in their tracks, which I think most people would view as commendable, yes. Given the history of R/D I'd say most people consider the 'how' of that an irrelevant detail.
Last edited by Aurum Raider on Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vleerian Vytherov-Denral
Cognitohazard

The North Polish Union wrote:Additionally, virtually all founderless regions are viewed as falling under the defenders' allegedly protective purview. This is a form of colonialism that the great imperialist regions of NS history could only dream of.

Attike
Secretary

Founded: Apr 18, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Attike » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:17 pm

I'm still neutral, until we manage to figure out in which direction the consequences shall follow; from them, he might be commended, as well as condemned. Too early to tell.

South Reinkalistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby South Reinkalistan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:17 pm

Aurum Raider wrote:
South Reinkalistan wrote:Is this impact positive? You mention that he's caused a disruption. It's still just fucking over a raid through his popularity alone. And it's not commendable.

It stopped a raid, which I think most people would view as commendable, yes. Given the history of R/D I'd say most people consider the 'how' of that an irrelevant detail.

It stopped a raid, which is mostly a one-time trick. This new burst of nations will begin to fizzle out.

If you want to use his joining as an argument, then you can also take into account the fact that his joining has inconvenienced basically everyone using the site. If he takes credit for the questionably "positive" results of him joining, he must also take the credit for the objectively negative results.
THE PEOPLE ETERNAL

New Tussia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 02, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby New Tussia » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:19 pm

Aurum Raider wrote:

It stopped a raid party in their tracks, which I think most people would view as commendable, yes. Given the history of R/D I'd say most people consider the 'how' of that an irrelevant detail.

So. You're promoting Ddosing the site?
NS was unusable for a few hours and the servers are still struggling.
Imagine the pain Max is going through? He no doubt almost killed a server.
Have I been here long enough to be considered an NS elder yet or no?
Fairly conservative, Orthodox Catechumen, Tussia does not represent all of my political beliefs.

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:21 pm

New Tussia wrote:
Aurum Raider wrote:It stopped a raid party in their tracks, which I think most people would view as commendable, yes. Given the history of R/D I'd say most people consider the 'how' of that an irrelevant detail.

So. You're promoting Ddosing the site?

DDoS implies malicious intent (just as stopping a raid implies benevolent intent). Drew Durnil isn't a botnet C&C server.
Last edited by The Cosmic Mainframe on Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
The Mainframe requires more processing power and storage.
Donate your computing devices or they will be taken by force.
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

UPDATES (earth-year 3345): International Subsystem scales up operations in 42E5 "New York," Earth, now the largest known concentration of androids.

Factbooks | About Me | NationStates Flag Bracket II | Bytes (card farming region) | MAINFRAMEWAVE
Feel free to telegram me about anything. I'll do my best to respond.
Canon is relative to the observer. Not using NS stats.
This nation does not represent my real views, and if it represents yours, I question your sanity.

New Tussia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 02, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby New Tussia » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:24 pm

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:
New Tussia wrote:So. You're promoting Ddosing the site?

DDoS implies malicious intent. Drew Durnil isn't a botnet C&C server.

I understand that but Arum said that the how is irrelevant.
Have I been here long enough to be considered an NS elder yet or no?
Fairly conservative, Orthodox Catechumen, Tussia does not represent all of my political beliefs.

Zizou
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zizou » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:24 pm

South Reinkalistan wrote:
Aurum Raider wrote:It stopped a raid, which I think most people would view as commendable, yes. Given the history of R/D I'd say most people consider the 'how' of that an irrelevant detail.

It stopped a raid, which is mostly a one-time trick. This new burst of nations will begin to fizzle out.

If you want to use his joining as an argument, then you can also take into account the fact that his joining has inconvenienced basically everyone using the site. If he takes credit for the questionably "positive" results of him joining, he must also take the credit for the objectively negative results.

A one-time trick? Who's to say? It's true that he was the first, and quite possibly only, person to properly test the theory of messing with update. However, when he did so, he made all of NS realize it was viable, and was able to use it to great success. One man was able to successfully prevent the hostile takeover of more than 15 innocent regions, and that is a feat unto itself.

I heavily disagree with the idea that this is a one-time trick, as the same general concept can be applied on a smaller scale by defenders in order to mess with raider triggers, which significantly improves their chances of defending founderless regions against larger operations. The same operations, I should note, which were mentioned as being "frequently destructive in intent and execution" by SC#217.
LTN in The Black Hawks
Parxland wrote:It might somehow give me STDs through the computer screen with how often you hop between different groups of people.

South Reinkalistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby South Reinkalistan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:26 pm

Zizou wrote:
South Reinkalistan wrote:It stopped a raid, which is mostly a one-time trick. This new burst of nations will begin to fizzle out.

A one-time trick? Who's to say? It's true that he was the first, and quite possibly only, person to properly test the theory of messing with update. However, when he did so, he made all of NS realize it was viable, and was able to use it to great success. One man was able to successfully prevent the hostile takeover of more than 15 innocent regions, and that is a feat unto itself.

I heavily disagree with the idea that this is a one-time trick, as the same general concept can be applied on a smaller scale by defenders in order to mess with raider triggers, which significantly improves their chances of defending founderless regions against larger operations. The same operations, I should note, which were mentioned as being "frequently destructive in intent and execution" by SC#217.

You're hairsplitting. Read the rest of my message.
THE PEOPLE ETERNAL

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:26 pm

Zizou wrote:
South Reinkalistan wrote:It stopped a raid, which is mostly a one-time trick. This new burst of nations will begin to fizzle out.

If defenders were to start doing this intentionally then it would cross the line into DDoSing and possibly illegal in some countries.

Even if purchasing a botnet was a legal tactic in the R/D game, I think it would merit condemnation, not commendation.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

UPDATES (earth-year 3345): International Subsystem scales up operations in 42E5 "New York," Earth, now the largest known concentration of androids.

Factbooks | About Me | NationStates Flag Bracket II | Bytes (card farming region) | MAINFRAMEWAVE
This nation does not represent my real views, and if it represents yours, I question your sanity.

Aurum Raider
Envoy

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Aurum Raider » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:29 pm

New Tussia wrote:I understand that but Arum said that the how is irrelevant.

The how is irrelevant right up until it breaks game rules. Botnets are illegal. Promoting a game on your platform is very much not so.
Vleerian Vytherov-Denral
Cognitohazard

Zizou
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zizou » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:31 pm

Zizou wrote:A one-time trick? Who's to say? It's true that he was the first, and quite possibly only, person to properly test the theory of messing with update. However, when he did so, he made all of NS realize it was viable, and was able to use it to great success. One man was able to successfully prevent the hostile takeover of more than 15 innocent regions, and that is a feat unto itself.

If defenders were to start doing this intentionally then it would cross the line into DDoSing and possibly illegal in some countries.

Even if purchasing a botnet was a legal tactic in the R/D game, I think it would merit condemnation, not commendation.

Hence why I mentioned that this could be used as the basis for other tactics that are smaller in scale. It's unfortunate in this case that an accidental DDoS occurred, but there are other ways to mess up with update on a smaller, more localized scale than simply spamming out thousands of nations.
LTN in The Black Hawks

Republic of Turbin
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Turbin » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:33 pm

This isn’t the only YouTuber to have joined NS. A YouTuber known as spike viper also has a region where his fans reside. In my opinion this proposal would sully the meaning of commendations and take away the value of a commendation to those who have made an impact on NS. I’m sorry but there is no reason I’d be in favor as though I’m subscribed to drew I do not believe that a commendation comes with your popularity rather your your achievements on the site.
Joe Biden

Blizonia
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Blizonia » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:35 pm

how can this not have my support

Domais
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 15, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Domais » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:35 pm

Do it, how dare he bring upon this catastrophe, plus it would be good advertisement for nationstates.
Former Prime Minister of Lazarus!
Delegate Emeritus of Warzones, Australia, Asia, Airspace and Africa
Voted Best Delegate of Warzone Airspace for the year 2019!

East Blepia
Envoy

Founded: Jan 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby East Blepia » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:38 pm

Aurum Raider wrote:
The Security Council,

Noting that Deruuu was founded on Monday April 14th 2020, not even a month before this proposal was drafted,

Applauding Deruuu's contribution to making This Game - a region this esteemed body recently condemned - more difficult to access,

Impressed by Deruuu's efforts towards encouraging the foundation of at least 10,000 new sovereign nations,

Acknowledging that the founding of so many new sovereign bodies has inconvenienced the world as a whole,

Recognizing that these inconveniences extended to individuals partaking in the practice of foreign invasions, such as The Black Hawks,

Awestruck that the nation of Dreuuu single-handedly performed the once impossible task of stopping a multitude of quick, simultaneous invasions with a simple advertising campaign,

Condlucing that Deruuu's actions have immediately made them an individual worthy of international acknowledgement,

Hereby Commends Deruuu.

What in God's name has come over your head, man?

Did he speak French to you? You are acting like a very foolish man.

Condemn him, for heaven's sake! Bint al kalb, ibn al kalb, Alah yakhthek!

I have been in Nationstates since 2016 and I have never seen anything which it is worse than this. May God take your soul!

You are a very lack-of-understanding man because you have done this. God's mercy upon you.

Let us spit on this draft proposal. Tfu.
Last edited by East Blepia on Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20 years in Iraq and Afghanistan, 10 years in Syria, constant brinksmanship with Iran, $230 billion[1] and counting in military and economic aid to a first-world country, and the agitation of Islamic extremism[2] causing tens of thousands of civilian deaths is not enough. America MUST do more for Israel. If you ask what we get in exchange, you are an anti-semite.

1. https://fas.org/sgp/crs/mideast/RL33222.pdf "As of March 2020, in 2018 U.S. dollars (inflation-adjusted), total U.S.
aid to Israel... is $236 billion."

2. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/nov/24/theobserver "Why are we fighting and opposing you? The answer is very simple...You attacked us in Palestine...the degree of American support for Israel"

Naval Monte
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 04, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Naval Monte » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:40 pm

(Finally I can post in here)

I normally don't involve myself in these matters until the voting begins but in this occasion I will have to agree with this proposal due to the chaos this newcomer caused.
Naval Monte- The Mediterranean crossroads of mind-controlling conspiracies, twisted dimensions, inhuman depravity, questionable science, unholy commerce, heretical faiths, absurd politics, and cutting-edge art.

Make wonderful memories here, in Naval Monte.

Sleet Clans
Ambassador

Founded: May 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Sleet Clans » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:41 pm

Y e s. This has my full support

United Confederacy of Sleetavia

"Ushije e Vuani"

MT/PMT, willing to switch it up depending on RP

Newmanistan
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2005
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Newmanistan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:43 pm

I would wait until May 18th, when we can see the actual impact of his video.
How did he do anything for NS if 98% of them CTE on 5/18?
Six-time World Baseball Classic Champions
Now just here to run NSSCRA. Thank you to the community for all the fun in other sports.
NEWMANISTAN SPORTING ACHIEVEMENTS:
CHAMPIONSHIPS: DBC 4; 27th BoF; CoH 34, 36, & 37; Oxen Cup 12; WBC 10, 12, 15, 17, 41, & 43; IBC 4, 5, & 29; CE 26; WLC 1
Runner Up: DBC 5 & 6; Oxen Cup 6; WBC 7,9 11, 14, & 45; IBC 1; WB 4, 6 & 34; WLC 2 & 3
World Cups qualified for: 46, 48 (R of 16), 49, 50, 54
Hosted: WORLD CUP 49, WB 1, 2, 5, & 35; WBC 8, 11, 14, 19, 38, 44, & 46; CoH 33, 35, & 39; CE 25, WLC 2, 4 & 5; WCoH 10, IBC 24, NSSCRA, Multiple NSCAA Basketball Tournaments, and a horse racing series

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:44 pm

Newmanistan wrote:I would wait until May 18th, when we can see the actual impact of his video.

Answer: the remaining 2%.

Also there is the argument that he prevented pending raids amidst the lag, thus opening the door for future raider/defender tactics that involve exploiting the update functions, but I do not find it convincing.
Last edited by The Cosmic Mainframe on Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

United States of Michiganistan
Civilian

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Michiganistan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:45 pm

Man, a lot of people are mad at Drew Durnil lmao.

Aurum Raider
Envoy

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Aurum Raider » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:45 pm

Newmanistan wrote:I would wait until May 18th, when we can see the actual impact of his video.

Answer: the remaining 2%.

Also there is the argument that he prevented pending raids amidst the lag, thus opening the door for future raider/defender tactics that involve exploiting the update functions, but I do not find it convincing.

We'll see at major, but as it is the minor update hasn't actually ended yet.
Vleerian Vytherov-Denral
Cognitohazard

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Security Council