NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Commend The NewsStand

A chamber dedicated to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary.
User avatar
Jocospor
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 490
Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

[DRAFT] Commend The NewsStand

Postby Jocospor » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:39 am

The Security Council,

Acknowledging The NewsStand's outstanding contribution to the world;

Congratulating The NewsStand for its distribution of quality media from all corners of the world;

Further congratulating The NewsStand for providing nations and regions with an opportunity to foster international relations and cooperation;

Impressed by The NewsStand's ability to reach a wide audience in a relatively short period of time;

Equally impressed by The NewsStand's political neutrality;

Admiring The NewsStand's irreverence towards censorship;

Therefore, believing that The NewsStand warrants recognition for its efforts;

Hereby commends The NewsStand.
HAIL THE CONFEDERATION!
CONFEDERATION OF CORRUPT DICTATORS | OFFICE OF THE VICEROY | DELEGATE'S OFFICE
JOCOSPOR | FOREIGN AFFAIRS OFFICE


"Destroy democracy. End degeneracy. Love your Emperor. Thou shalt know no fear."
- Farland Macmillan, Grand High Direktor of the Empire, addressing the 3rd Imperial Cabinet

(All posts IC unless marked otherwise)

User avatar
New Excalibus
Diplomat
 
Posts: 864
Founded: May 05, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Excalibus » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:41 am

So we went from commending and condemning things that will actually matter, and cause an impact on the WA... to commending a frickin newspaper region?
What on earth is going on with the SC?!
✦The United Commonwealth of New Excalibus✦
Also known as Iceland 2: Electric Boogaloo
Founder of The Clover Confederation
Factbook|Leader|Art|8values
A [19] civilization, according to this index.
Your standard, moody NS citizen. Need I say more?
[insert snarky joke here]

User avatar
Kuriko
Diplomat
 
Posts: 531
Founded: Oct 31, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Kuriko » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:23 am

New Excalibus wrote:So we went from commending and condemning things that will actually matter, and cause an impact on the WA... to commending a frickin newspaper region?
What on earth is going on with the SC?!

Its Jocospor seeking attention, just ignore him. Against due to the author.
Delegate of the 10000 Islands
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
Citizen of the 10000 Islands and The Rejected Realms

Former TITO Tactical Officer
Former Commander of TGW, UDSAF, and FORGE
Proud founder of The Hole To Hide In
Person behind the Regional Officer resignation button
Person behind the Offsite Chat tag and the Jump Point tag
WA Character limit increase to 5,000 characters

User avatar
Cedoria
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5605
Founded: Feb 22, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Cedoria » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:58 am

Against due to author and lack of commendation worthy material.
In real life I am a libertarian socialist/democratic socialist
★Comrade of the Commonwealth of Socialist States (CSS)★
Likes: Freedom of speech, Freedom of Expression, Direct Democracy, Worker Owned Cooperatives, Secularism, Anti-Theism, Freedom of civil disobediance, Libertarian Socialism, Social equity for minorities.

Dislikes: Neo-Conservatism, Neo-Liberalism, Stalinism, Capitalism, American Exceptionalism, Most world leaders, Religious bigotry, Despots of virtually any kind, Imperialism, Putinism, Economic Inequality, Identity Politics, Fascism and assorted far-right movements.



Founding member of The Leftist Assembly

User avatar
Kavagrad
Diplomat
 
Posts: 761
Founded: Nov 22, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Kavagrad » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:43 am

Against due to the author.
Claorica wrote:It's leftists like this that really warm me up to Hoppe's idea of physical removal
Sobriety is the future of Anti-Fascism

User avatar
Lord Dominator
Senator
 
Posts: 3912
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Lord Dominator » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:43 am

I hardly think this is a Commend-Worthy individual/organization, regardless of my liking of them doing said things
Osiris Vizier of WA AffairsDee Vytherov-SkollvaldrGameplay Ambassador of ForestLieutenant in The Black HawksRecruitment and Outreach Director of Lazarus

User avatar
The Tri State Area and Maine
Envoy
 
Posts: 216
Founded: Feb 02, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Tri State Area and Maine » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:15 pm

Definitely against due to author.

User avatar
United Massachusetts
Minister
 
Posts: 2180
Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby United Massachusetts » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:07 pm

Kuriko wrote:
New Excalibus wrote:So we went from commending and condemning things that will actually matter, and cause an impact on the WA... to commending a frickin newspaper region?
What on earth is going on with the SC?!

Its Jocospor seeking attention, just ignore him. Against due to the author.

Kavagrad wrote:Against due to the author.
The Tri State Area and Maine wrote:Definitely against due to author.
Cedoria wrote:Against due to author and lack of commendation worthy material.
Really, guys? Jocospor comes forward with a draft that, as much as you may dislike the contents, is in good faith and isn't a regional advert, and you shun him like this?

A shame, really.
United Massachusetts
World Assembly Mission

Pro-Life Social Democratic Catholic
Ambassador: Bishop Alexander Pierce

WA Affairs Minister, The East Pacific
Assistant: Father Carl Sullivan

Fmr. President, Right to Life
Queen Yuno wrote:You have a very contradictory rep yourself, [UM].
Sanctaria wrote:We get it. You're pro-life.
Davelands wrote:(UM tries to slip another one by)
Wallenburg wrote:You've got to be the most ignorant person on this Discord.
Davelands wrote:Remember that United Mass is extremely on the religious right side. Look for hidden gotcha's for later. He is playing a long game with proposals...
"Ave Crux, spes unica nostra!"
"Hail to the Cross, our only hope!"


User avatar
The Tri State Area and Maine
Envoy
 
Posts: 216
Founded: Feb 02, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Tri State Area and Maine » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:15 pm

United Massachusetts wrote:
Kuriko wrote:Its Jocospor seeking attention, just ignore him. Against due to the author.

Kavagrad wrote:Against due to the author.
The Tri State Area and Maine wrote:Definitely against due to author.
Cedoria wrote:Against due to author and lack of commendation worthy material.
Really, guys? Jocospor comes forward with a draft that, as much as you may dislike the contents, is in good faith and isn't a regional advert, and you shun him like this?

A shame, really.


I'm not exactly sure what you expected.

User avatar
Jar Wattinree
Diplomat
 
Posts: 895
Founded: Dec 14, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Jar Wattinree » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:47 pm

Not a bad idea.
"Pain is weakness leaving the body." - American Boot

Krystal is the best lady ever
Tribune of the New Pacific Order

  • Governor of Province Ardere
  • Praetorian of the New Pacific Order
  • Council Elder of St Abbaddon
There is no right or wrong in our profession. The present changes the past from moment to moment. Only pray for the future to vindicate your action.

User avatar
QuEeN yUnO
Diplomat
 
Posts: 569
Founded: Dec 30, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby QuEeN yUnO » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:30 pm

The Tri State Area and Maine wrote:
United Massachusetts wrote:Really, guys? Jocospor comes forward with a draft that, as much as you may dislike the contents, is in good faith and isn't a regional advert, and you shun him like this?

A shame, really.


I'm not exactly sure what you expected.


Jocospor did spend 5000s of stamps to shut down UM's Ban on Capital Punishment WA resolution attempts
Despite all that, UM is showing good character ^_^
Supreme Loligarchy
I do free grammar checks! Telegram me for Discord!

"Vote early, vote often." -Pallaith
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Galiantus III wrote:


...is there a reason the logo for the anti-NPO New Year's jumpers looks like the butt and legs of a kneeling naked lady? :unsure:


Imperium Anglorum wrote:Lol badge hunting accusations against people who already have the badge. You don't get your whole page covered in badges when you pass more resolutions, you know.


Vancouvia wrote:
Vancouvia wrote:

Alright my bad I guess I'll check back in December 21st


No way

User avatar
Gagium
Diplomat
 
Posts: 853
Founded: Apr 08, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Gagium » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:59 pm

Against, not "because of the author" like all these other guys are posting just for the heck of it (And because, as communists/socialists, they don't like "fascists"...) without mentioning the content of the bill whatsoever. 'The NewsStand', is hardly commendable: Sure, newspapers are cool, but I'll argue that the newspapers & the NewsStand haven't made any large impact on Nationstates worth commending, especially when half of the newspapers in their dispatch are months aged. Sure, their region & their sponsored newspapers certainly are interesting and for a good cause, but definitely not commendable.
Last edited by Gagium on Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm proud to be an American, for at least I know I'm free
and I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me
and I'd gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today
cause there ain't no doubt I love this land

User avatar
RiderSyl
Senator
 
Posts: 4465
Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Mother Knows Best State

Postby RiderSyl » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:53 pm

I'm actually appreciative that the author is trying his hand at a legitimate SC proposal. It's pretty well-written too. The problem is that The NewsStand hasn't done enough to get a Commendation (yet).
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

User avatar
Jocospor
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 490
Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Jocospor » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:15 pm

RiderSyl wrote:I'm actually appreciative that the author is trying his hand at a legitimate SC proposal. It's pretty well-written too. The problem is that The NewsStand hasn't done enough to get a Commendation (yet).

*the Delegate's Office offers up a warm smile* Our thanks.

We believe the NewsStand is commend worthy, and that it's impact upon the world has been great. Perhaps it's affect on larger, established regions has been somewhat lost. But it is with the smaller regions that it provides a voice, and its service to those regions is invaluable.

To those who dismissed this proposal as another of the Imperial Empire's follies, you would be wise to reconsider.
HAIL THE CONFEDERATION!
CONFEDERATION OF CORRUPT DICTATORS | OFFICE OF THE VICEROY | DELEGATE'S OFFICE
JOCOSPOR | FOREIGN AFFAIRS OFFICE


"Destroy democracy. End degeneracy. Love your Emperor. Thou shalt know no fear."
- Farland Macmillan, Grand High Direktor of the Empire, addressing the 3rd Imperial Cabinet

(All posts IC unless marked otherwise)

User avatar
Ransium
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 5707
Founded: Oct 17, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ransium » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:53 pm

I agree with the general sentiment of UM that those dismissing the proposal merely due to it's author are being incredibly closed-minded. Regardless, what incentive are you giving authors to give a good faith effort if you black ball them? I'd happily vote for a proposal by Bitely if it were of sufficient merit.

However, I also agree with everyone who has given this proposal a fair shake that I would not vote for it in it's present form. I know nothing about the region in question, but you do not have a compelling argument. As you say Jocospor, most major delegates are likely to be unaware of this region and that means you have an uphill battle from the get go. The proposal, as currently written, is really short and lacks any sort of real evidence, but I think it could be improved and I personally could be persuaded to vote for with more research.

The Security Council,

Acknowledging The NewsStand's outstanding contribution to the world;


Although I'd say acceptable as an opening clause it could be improved by generally describing what those outstanding contributions are. I think you don't do this right now because you want to use your general descriptions as filler later on, but I don't think you should do that.

Congratulating The NewsStand for its distribution of quality media from all corners of the world;


As I said, I would merged this with your first clause.
Further congratulating The NewsStand for providing nations and regions with an opportunity to foster international relations and cooperation;


Use a thesaurus, man. There's no need to have your 2nd and 3rd clause start with congratulating (same with you third and fourth impressed). Praising, applauding, saluting, honoring, are a few possible synonyms. This argument could be bolstered with concrete examples of fostering international relations. I know nothing about the target region so I can't give you suggestions on what those examples could be, but if you felt inspired to write this commendation surely you must know of a few. What are they? Do an international crew of nations participate? Do they perform any events?

Impressed by The NewsStand's ability to reach a wide audience in a relatively short period of time;


Define wide audience. How do they distribute their news? About how many readers do they have?

Equally impressed by The NewsStand's political neutrality;


This isn't really an idea that's large enough to be placed in it's own clause, IMO. It could easily be added to a large clause describing the quality of writing, breadth of coverage, etc.

Admiring The NewsStand's irreverence towards censorship;


Who would censor them and why? Again this doesn't really seem like a fleshed out enough idea to merit it own clause.

Therefore, believing that The NewsStand warrants recognition for its efforts;


I like summary clauses at the end of commendations, but this one seems like needless fluff because it doesn't add anything. I usually use this clause as a bit of cliff notes to remind the reader all the various ways the target merits commending. Unfortunately, right now the ideas in your main body are the kind of summations I would stick in this summary clause.

In summary, this proposal needs a lot fewer platitudes and a lot more concrete examples and research before I would think about supporting.
Last edited by Ransium on Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Commended by SC 236,
WA Delegate of Forest since March 20th, 2007.
Author of WA Resolutions: SC 221, SC 224, SC 233, SC 243, SC 265, GA 403, GA 439, GA 445.
Issues Editor since January 20th, 2017.
Author of 22 issues. First editor of 44.
Forum Moderator since November 10th, 2017. Game Moderator since March 15th, 2018.

User avatar
New Bremerton
Envoy
 
Posts: 221
Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Bremerton » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:22 pm

AGAINST, but not because of the author. I've never heard of The NewsStand.
The Holy Republic of New Bremerton
Region: The North Pacific
General Assembly: IC
Security Council: OOC

"Liberi Fatali"

This nation does not use NSStats.

User avatar
Jocospor
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 490
Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Jocospor » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:47 pm

Ransium wrote:I agree with the general sentiment of UM that those dismissing the proposal merely due to it's author are being incredibly closed-minded. Regardless, what incentive are you giving authors to give a good faith effort if you black ball them? I'd happily vote for a proposal by Bitely if it were of sufficient merit.

However, I also agree with everyone who has given this proposal a fair shake that I would not vote for it in it's present form. I know nothing about the region in question, but you do not have a compelling argument. As you say Jocospor, most major delegates are likely to be unaware of this region and that means you have an uphill battle from the get go. The proposal, as currently written, is really short and lacks any sort of real evidence, but I think it could be improved and I personally could be persuaded to vote for with more research.

The Security Council,

Acknowledging The NewsStand's outstanding contribution to the world;


Although I'd say acceptable as an opening clause it could be improved by generally describing what those outstanding contributions are. I think you don't do this right now because you want to use your general descriptions as filler later on, but I don't think you should do that.

Congratulating The NewsStand for its distribution of quality media from all corners of the world;


As I said, I would merged this with your first clause.
Further congratulating The NewsStand for providing nations and regions with an opportunity to foster international relations and cooperation;


Use a thesaurus, man. There's no need to have your 2nd and 3rd clause start with congratulating (same with you third and fourth impressed). Praising, applauding, saluting, honoring, are a few possible synonyms. This argument could be bolstered with concrete examples of fostering international relations. I know nothing about the target region so I can't give you suggestions on what those examples could be, but if you felt inspired to write this commendation surely you must know of a few. What are they? Do an international crew of nations participate? Do they perform any events?

Impressed by The NewsStand's ability to reach a wide audience in a relatively short period of time;


Define wide audience. How do they distribute their news? About how many readers do they have?

Equally impressed by The NewsStand's political neutrality;


This isn't really an idea that's large enough to be placed in it's own clause, IMO. It could easily be added to a large clause describing the quality of writing, breadth of coverage, etc.

Admiring The NewsStand's irreverence towards censorship;


Who would censor them and why? Again this doesn't really seem like a fleshed out enough idea to merit it own clause.

Therefore, believing that The NewsStand warrants recognition for its efforts;


I like summary clauses at the end of commendations, but this one seems like needless fluff because it doesn't add anything. I usually use this clause as a bit of cliff notes to remind the reader all the various ways the target merits commending. Unfortunately, right now the ideas in your main body are the kind of summations I would stick in this summary clause.

In summary, this proposal needs a lot fewer platitudes and a lot more concrete examples and research before I would think about supporting.

Dear sir, how could you not have heard of The NewsStand?!

Your recommendations are excellent, and we thank you for them. After all (and to those who dismissed us so quickly, take note): at this stage, the proposal is still being drafted and does not exist in its final form. Ironically, there was a time when the Imperial Empire was criticised for not forum drafting. For the record, we wish to applaud Ransium's objectivity, both now and in the past. We will set to work implementing changes based off the offered critiques.
HAIL THE CONFEDERATION!
CONFEDERATION OF CORRUPT DICTATORS | OFFICE OF THE VICEROY | DELEGATE'S OFFICE
JOCOSPOR | FOREIGN AFFAIRS OFFICE


"Destroy democracy. End degeneracy. Love your Emperor. Thou shalt know no fear."
- Farland Macmillan, Grand High Direktor of the Empire, addressing the 3rd Imperial Cabinet

(All posts IC unless marked otherwise)

User avatar
Caracasus
Issues Editor
 
Posts: 7095
Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Caracasus » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:34 pm

I honestly don't know if there is enough stuff here to warrant a badge. Having said that, if you were to pursue this (either now, or waiting a bit until the target has done a bit more) wouldn't it make more sense (given your whole thing about being a corrupt dictatorship and all) for you to write a condemnation?

I mean, you'd certainly have to check with the nation in question and make a few OOC posts so folks know that your intention is to genuinely acknowledge contributions made in a narratively consistent way, but broadly speaking most people acknowledge that commendations and condemnations are broadly equivilent badges of recognition. I think it'd probably allow you to have a bit more fun with it really.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!



Issues editor, not a moderator.

User avatar
The New California Republic
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12717
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:00 am

Jocospor wrote:
The Security Council,

Acknowledging The NewsStand's outstanding contribution to the world;

Congratulating The NewsStand for its distribution of quality media from all corners of the world;

Further congratulating The NewsStand for providing nations and regions with an opportunity to foster international relations and cooperation;

Impressed by The NewsStand's ability to reach a wide audience in a relatively short period of time;

Equally impressed by The NewsStand's political neutrality;

Admiring The NewsStand's irreverence towards censorship;

Therefore, believing that The NewsStand warrants recognition for its efforts;

Hereby commends The NewsStand.

OOC: Against. I don't believe that there is sufficient reason to justify a commendation. There is also a bad history of the author submitting self-commendations or badge hunting, so doubly against.
Last edited by Friedrich Nietzsche on Thu Jan 03, 1889 13:05 pm, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the complete victory over Caesar's Legion, and the pacification and annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.
Current President of The NCR: Aaron Kimball.
Current NCR Ambassador to The World Assembly: Colonel James Hsu, NCR Army (Ret.)
.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Feux
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1594
Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Feux » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:04 am

It is not commendable to put a list of newspapers together. Plus this proposal is entirely fluff.
Last edited by Feux on Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always Changing Shapes
TheBestDudeInHistory wrote:Feux is what would happen if I had my shitposting physically removed, isolated, and permitted to become sentient on its own. And I mean that in the best way possible. Clearly I need to marry Feux.

User avatar
Armaros
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 395
Founded: Apr 06, 2018
Father Knows Best State

Postby Armaros » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:13 am

I personally don't think the Newsstand has done anything remotely commendable. Newspapers are good and well, but that's it.

And like UM said: I personally heavily dislike this author for a variety of reasons. But it should be more about the content of this proposal I think.
joWhatup#7411 on discord, if you ever need to contact me.
Resident of Unknown
Director of the Regional Guards in Lazarus
Lone Wolves United, cub
My opinions are solely mine. I do not speak for Unknown or Lazarus in any way.

User avatar
Aenglaland
Diplomat
 
Posts: 540
Founded: Dec 01, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Aenglaland » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:17 am

Against. Nothing worth to justify a commendation.
Come to The North Pacific!
Pineapple on pizza delenda est!
Just call me Loh

User avatar
Chan Island
Minister
 
Posts: 2638
Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Chan Island » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:31 am

In favour. Purely to break the negativity :p
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

User avatar
Rakivland
Attaché
 
Posts: 67
Founded: May 16, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rakivland » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:48 pm

Much as Newspapers can be interesting to read, they don't change anything, and won't and never have impacted NationStates, Against, Nothing commendation worthy.
Last edited by Rakivland on Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Political Compass Results = Economic 0.0, Social 1.28.
I argue. A lot, and no I won't get off your lawn, I'll kick up the lawn.

User avatar
The Tri State Area and Maine
Envoy
 
Posts: 216
Founded: Feb 02, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Tri State Area and Maine » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:59 pm

Armaros wrote:And like UM said: I personally heavily dislike this author for a variety of reasons. But it should be more about the content of this proposal I think.


I mean, when an author claims that the World Assembly is corrupt and that people should unendorse their Delegates, they should probably expect less support on their proposals due to it.

Either way, the target isn't worthy of Commendation anyway.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Security Council

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], Nicitius

Advertisement

Remove ads