NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Commend Xoriet

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:19 pm

Caracasus wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:Raiding large fascist/nazi regions would still be considered impressive in general, it's just that holding the region is ridiculously easy since no one will try to liberate them. Putting it together would still require possible sleepers and harder than normal organization since you're generally setting up more people during update, with many possibly coming from orgs that traditionally fight each other.

Ahh, so easier to accomplish once you've put in a hell of a lot of groundwork building alliances and playing nicely with others. Okay, that seems fair enough to me and certainly worthy of recognition.

Indeed, that would be roughly it. And even if that wasn't considered good, there is a bunch of other good stuff in there as well :)

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:21 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
Caracasus wrote:
Ahh, so easier to accomplish once you've put in a hell of a lot of groundwork building alliances and playing nicely with others. Okay, that seems fair enough to me and certainly worthy of recognition.

Indeed, that would be roughly it. And even if that wasn't considered good, there is a bunch of other good stuff in there as well :)

So I can see. Looks like a well deserved commendation to me. Thanks for the info, always good to keep up to date on these things.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:23 pm

Caracasus wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:Indeed, that would be roughly it. And even if that wasn't considered good, there is a bunch of other good stuff in there as well :)

So I can see. Looks like a well deserved commendation to me. Thanks for the info, always good to keep up to date on these things.

You would be most welcome

Ru-
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ru- » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:00 pm

While we wish that a raiding operation was not mentioned in a commendation, the other impressive accomplishments and hard work by the target cited in the resolution (military and otherwise) more then makes up for it.

we will vote in favor.

Ragnaria wrote:You're being pointlessly dramatic. Remove the huge delegates' votes from the equation, and it's still passing by a wide margin. How's that for putting things into perspective?

I don't think thier point was that this wouldn't pass without the support of the huge delegate alliance, but that the existence of this alliance and their behavior of trying to vote pile as soon as humanly possible makes being active in the WA less fun and less engaging. Whether the side they are taking on any given proposal happens to be the "correct" one or not. I think this is a fair criticism, as I do wonder why I am even bothering to give my two cents in when I know for certain whether the thing will pass or not mere minutes after it is posted.

Power to them, their methods have certainly proven to be very effective but I do think it hurts the state of the game. At the very least it makes things less interesting.
Last edited by Ru- on Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
A civilization with an over 3,000 year history of lizard people killing each other and enslaving everyone else. Now they've finally calmed down and formed a modern westernized constitutional monarchy. (long live Emperor Yoshio!)

Note: Any factbook entries over a year old are severely out of date and may be subject to extreme revision and retconning soon. If you have questions on anything about Ru, please feel free to ask.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:40 pm

Ru- wrote:I don't think thier point was that this wouldn't pass without the support of the huge delegate alliance, but that the existence of this alliance and their behavior of trying to vote pile as soon as humanly possible makes being active in the WA less fun and less engaging.

At present there only exists one actual WA alliance, WALL (TNP, Balder, Europeia, Europe, and IDU). Only two of those regional delegates have yet voted, and TNP usually votes as soon as the vote has started and the internal TNP vote has been determined to lean one way, and IA makes a point of voting as soon as he humanly can for longer than Europe has been in WALL.

Jar Wattinree
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 14, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Jar Wattinree » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:30 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
Ru- wrote:I don't think thier point was that this wouldn't pass without the support of the huge delegate alliance, but that the existence of this alliance and their behavior of trying to vote pile as soon as humanly possible makes being active in the WA less fun and less engaging.

At present there only exists one actual WA alliance, WALL (TNP, Balder, Europeia, Europe, and IDU). Only two of those regional delegates have yet voted, and TNP usually votes as soon as the vote has started and the internal TNP vote has been determined to lean one way, and IA makes a point of voting as soon as he humanly can for longer than Europe has been in WALL.

People do tend to think everyone who votes For or Against in overwhelming numbers is in some sort of NS illuminati.
By the Holy Flaming Hammer of Unholy Cosmic Frost
I will voyage 'cross the Multiverse to fight for what was lost!
From this realm of nuclear chaos, to a world beyond the stars
I will quest forever onwards, so far;
I will wield the Holy Hammer of Flame!
Unholy cosmic frost!

Ecce Princeps Dundonensis Imperator Ascendit In Astra Eterna!

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:38 pm

Yeah. As opposed to commendations and condemnations that are reasonably well written and reasonably uncontraversial tending to attract yes votes.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Alvero
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Alvero » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:49 pm

This sounds like a commendation Xoriet deserves, and I see nothing here on the forums (besides personal grudges) to suggest that they are undeserving. We are in support FOR this resolution.

Lilian Ventura
Ambassador to the World Assembly
The Republic of Alvero

Ru-
Ambassador

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ru- » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:28 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:

Yeah, wasn't the best idea for him to choose this resolution to bring up his point. Since it clearly does not need these alliances to pass, but it's still a fair one. Those regions are mostly all the feeders and sinkers and have about 3,000 votes between them. And while IA is the only one who votes immediately after a resolution hits the floor, the others are very quick as well. Too quick, i might add, to determine how thier region's membership is voting on the resolution. So a huge chunk of the votes of our so called democratic institution are actually determined by agreements made between a handful of people.

Not to take away from the hard work that must've gone into setting up this situation in the first place. It is just easy for me to understand the frustration that this alliance causes. Not that it'd be easy to fix since it is not fair or practical to make people who are friends stop cooperating just because thier regions have too many votes when combined togather. I do think WALL's presence harms the RP in the WA in any event.

Fortunately in all but a few cases, WALL just happens to vote where the majority of the WA was going to go anyway, with or without them. This resolution being a perfect. example of that. However the optics of early pileing is never great. Though it is highly effective in influencing the votes of nations that are not sure how they should be voting.
Last edited by Ru- on Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A civilization with an over 3,000 year history of lizard people killing each other and enslaving everyone else. Now they've finally calmed down and formed a modern westernized constitutional monarchy. (long live Emperor Yoshio!)

Note: Any factbook entries over a year old are severely out of date and may be subject to extreme revision and retconning soon. If you have questions on anything about Ru, please feel free to ask.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:01 pm

Ru- wrote:Yeah, wasn't the best idea for him to choose this resolution to bring up his point. Since it's pat's still a fair one. Those regions are qlmodt all the feeders and sinkers and have about 3,000 votes between them. And while IA is the only one who votes immediately after a resolution hits the floor, the others are very quick as well. Too quick, i might add, to determine how thier region's membership. So a huge chunk of the votes of our so called democratic institution are actually determined by agreements made between a handful of people.

Small clarification that doesn't detract from your point, but the larger regions tend to have either a set policy for assorted reasons (NatSov in the GA, alliances with regions involved, etc) and/or have a smaller Ministry/people internally who do vote.[/quote]

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:58 pm

Full support for my twin's much-deserved Commendation ;)

Also, I find it really amusing to continue seeing people complaining about individuals playing politics in a political simulator. Why do you think GCR Delegates vote early? It's precisly to steer the direction of the vote, and show the significant population of Lemming WA nations what option's getting mass support. It was never supposed to be all that fair. Much like the USA has more influence and power in the UN than, say, Burkina Faso, a GCR or a well-maintained UCR will have more power than a backwater region.

Ultimately, what also seems to be the case is the lack of understanding from griping folks about how WA programs are set up in larger regions.
Last edited by Tim-Opolis on Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

ShrewLlamaLand
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 30, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby ShrewLlamaLand » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:17 am

Tim-Opolis wrote:Ultimately, what also seems to be the case is the lack of understanding from griping folks about how WA programs are set up in larger regions.

It's almost like we do understand exactly how delegate voting works and why large delegates vote the way they do... it's just that it's a broken mechanic regardless.
ShrewLlamaLand
Confederation of Corrupt Dictators | Commission to the World Assembly

"The flag once raised will never fall!"

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:43 am

ShrewLlamaLand wrote:
Tim-Opolis wrote:Ultimately, what also seems to be the case is the lack of understanding from griping folks about how WA programs are set up in larger regions.

It's almost like we do understand exactly how delegate voting works and why large delegates vote the way they do... it's just that it's a broken mechanic regardless.

Given your region's history of throwing money at campaigns in the hopes that the biggest bank balance wins, I'm gonna take any critique with a pinch of salt. It seems that you're complaining about percieved corruption not because it is wrong, but because said corruption doesn't work in your favour.
Last edited by Caracasus on Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jar Wattinree
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Jar Wattinree » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:09 am

Caracasus wrote:
ShrewLlamaLand wrote:It's almost like we do understand exactly how delegate voting works and why large delegates vote the way they do... it's just that it's a broken mechanic regardless.

Given your region's history of throwing money at campaigns in the hopes that the biggest bank balance wins, I'm gonna take any critique with a pinch of salt. It seems that you're complaining about percieved corruption not because it is wrong, but because said corruption doesn't work in your favour.

That's one way to look at it. I am never too concerned about which way a vote would go, mostly because I didn't engage in it often. Even now on the SC, I still don't care, just argue about the specifics on the proposal's merits or demerits.
Unholy cosmic frost!

Syberis
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 21, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Syberis » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:48 am

ShrewLlamaLand wrote:

Complaining about a system that you cannot change in any way, and one that has worked functionally for years, and which adminship doesn't seem like they're ever going to change, doesn't actually accomplish anything.
I've finally found what I was looking for
A place where I can be without remorse
Because I am a stranger who has found
An even stranger war

Zaolat wrote:WHO THE F*** IS SYBERIS

ShrewLlamaLand
Diplomat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby ShrewLlamaLand » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:02 am

Caracasus wrote:
ShrewLlamaLand wrote:It's almost like we do understand exactly how delegate voting works and why large delegates vote the way they do... it's just that it's a broken mechanic regardless.

I'm struggling to see how any of this is relevant. I have in no way tried to take any moral high ground over the issue, thus "why" I am complaining is really not important. Only the issue itself matters.

Regardless, as usual, you're wrong - the Confederation has long been against the current delegate voting system: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=446517&p=34336534
ShrewLlamaLand

Syberis
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 21, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Syberis » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:54 am

ShrewLlamaLand wrote:
Caracasus wrote:

I'm struggling to see how any of this is relevant. I have in no way tried to take any moral high ground over the issue, thus "why" I am complaining is really not important. Only the issue itself matters.

Regardless, as usual, you're wrong - the Confederation has long been against the current delegate voting system: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=446517&p=34336534

Holding a useless opinion when it comes to a discussion for a long time does not make it more useful.
I've finally found what I was looking for
A place where I can be without remorse
Because I am a stranger who has found
An even stranger war

Zaolat wrote:WHO THE F*** IS SYBERIS

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:54 am

ShrewLlamaLand wrote:Regardless, as usual, you're wrong - the Confederation has long been against the current delegate voting system: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=446517&p=34336534

You just tried to disprove the notion that your region is upset at the system because it's not working in your favor, by linking to the founder of your region saying your region is upset at the system for not working in their favor.

The Imperial Empire is calling for the Secretariats to explain themselves, and for there to be consequences.

If our proposal is defeated, we intend to resubmit it, with new evidence having come to light.

We truly believe the World Assembly's days are numbered, if issues within its dimly-lit corridors are not addressed.

Why do you keep proving our points for us, Shrew? Is it some 4D chess move that I just can't comprehend?
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Ru-
Ambassador

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ru- » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:19 pm

Tim-Opolis wrote:Full support for my twin's much-deserved Commendation ;)

Also, I find it really amusing to continue seeing people complaining about individuals playing politics in a political simulator. Why do you think GCR Delegates vote early? It's precisly to steer the direction of the vote, and show the significant population of Lemming WA nations what option's getting mass support. It was never supposed to be all that fair. Much like the USA has more influence and power in the UN than, say, Burkina Faso, a GCR or a well-maintained UCR will have more power than a backwater region.

Ultimately, what also seems to be the case is the lack of understanding from griping folks about how WA programs are set up in larger regions.

No, I understand it. I just don't like it. The problem with the presence, size, and effectivenes, of a group like WALL and thier decision to try and carefully curate GA voting with strategies like you have described means that gameplay and regional R/D now dominates the GA. For people who don't care for gameplay this is very annoying, regardless of how they vote. It casts a dark cloud on RP arguments about the merits of individual proposals, knowing that the decision has already been made for us before it even comes to vote thanks to people taking advantage of the gameside mechanics. WALL getting thier gameplay peanut butter into my GA chocolate is the only complaint I have with them, honestly. And it has only been a couple resolutions in which they have blatantly demonstrated thier influence, but when it does happen I do wonder why I am even bothering to take the time to interact with GA threads. In the SC it isn't as much of a problem since the SC is entirely gameplay concerns though.

I don't think there really is a solution to it, aside from the admins stepping in and changing how regional delegate votes work, which they have no interest in. But no that doesn't mean I will stop complaining, because I don't like it when people bring it up and it is dismissed out of hand as if there isn't anything to have an objection to.

I can't speak for these confederation types though, (who knows what thier real motivations ever are?) This has just been my own feelings on it. I will also say that this thread may not be the most appropriate place to debate this, and is not particularly fair to Xoriet, since WALL was clearly not needed to pass this commendation.
Last edited by Ru- on Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WikiPlay
Attaché

Founded: May 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby WikiPlay » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:01 pm

ShrewLlamaLand wrote:
Caracasus wrote:I'd rather hear more about why/why not these deserve commendation than arguing over semantics of a warning.

If you have to ask about why they deserve the commendation, they probably don't deserve the commendation.

The big problem is that nations and people in general have to learn how to READ. Xoriet is a former (?!) raider destroying non fascist regions as well with The Black Hawks. READ!

This did happen many years ago.

Synopsis: The Security Council wants to Commend a philosopher raider with a heart, hoping the defender actions and other miscellaneous contributions to the community will outweigh the invader actions. Up to you. One Star. NewTexas will go on record as AGAINST on this Resolution. This is only the opinion of NewTexas

Let's open Texas NS History and do some additional research.

Is Xoriet a puppet nation?

Jar Wattinree
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Jar Wattinree » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:28 pm

WikiPlay wrote:Is Xoriet a puppet nation?

Of Sultur Aurora, probably.
Unholy cosmic frost!

WikiPlay
Attaché

Founded: May 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby WikiPlay » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:44 pm

Answer: ?

It's just a puppet, what is the WA nation of Xoriet?
Raiders have switchers so please convince us that their WA nation is a really friendly WA nation. :)

Jar Wattinree
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Jar Wattinree » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:52 pm

WikiPlay wrote:Answer: ?

It's just a puppet, what is the WA nation of Xoriet?
Raiders have switchers so please convince us that their WA nation is a really friendly WA nation. :)

One's main does not have to be in the WA, and besides, the nation Xoriet is totally a puppet.
Unholy cosmic frost!

Severisen
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 15, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Severisen » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:12 pm

Mans. Gotta love it when people have no idea what they're talking about and look like fools to those who do.

Xor is secretly Max Barry! That's about as reasonable as whatever drivel you just spat on our screens. What's funniest is you want other people to learn how to read. XD

Her WA is on deployment for the Pacific's military interest. I know where it is.
<mcmasterdonia> Ex-TBH dudes get all the NS girls.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Yeah but no one here can read. Literacy is a tool used by fendas, like IRC or morals.

Sichuan Pepper wrote:Should I be worried that Mall said he wanted to invade my region?
Member of the Cult of the Overgoat.

Married to my best friends Xoriet and Astarial
Father to Ramaeus, Sylvia, Greyghost, Bachtendekuppen, Liliarchy, Jar, Cookie. (And Guy)
Former: Everything
Current: Nowhere man.
Past, Present, and Future: Nobody.

ShrewLlamaLand
Diplomat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby ShrewLlamaLand » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:34 pm

RiderSyl wrote:
ShrewLlamaLand wrote:Regardless, as usual, you're wrong - the Confederation has long been against the current delegate voting system: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=446517&p=34336534

You just tried to disprove the notion that your region is upset at the system because it's not working in your favor, by linking to the founder of your region saying your region is upset at the system for not working in their favor.

Absolutely not, I've never denied that notion in the slightest. Something something Confederation of Corrupt Dictators.

RiderSyl wrote:
The Imperial Empire is calling for the Secretariats to explain themselves, and for there to be consequences.

If our proposal is defeated, we intend to resubmit it, with new evidence having come to light.

We truly believe the World Assembly's days are numbered, if issues within its dimly-lit corridors are not addressed.

Why do you keep proving our points for us, Shrew? Is it some 4D chess move that I just can't comprehend?

I'd say it's closer to 5D Chess, really.

In truth, I'm just trying to swing things in our favour before the next "Commend Confederation of Corrupt Dictators" proposal reaches quorum.
ShrewLlamaLand

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives