NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Repeal "Liberate St Abbaddon"

A chamber dedicated to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary.
Topid
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Capitalizt

[DRAFT] Repeal "Liberate St Abbaddon"

Postby Topid » Fri May 13, 2016 8:05 pm

St Abbaddon now has a password and is now permanently closed. Unlike last time when our former delegate gave out the password too often, the region is going to remain secure. Partly because I'm more gameplay savvy than the former delegate, but mostly because no one outside of NationStates Moderation knows what the password is and I'm okay with it staying that way. In recognition of these events:
Repeal "Liberate St Abbaddon"
A resolution to repeal previously passed legislation.
Category: Repeal | Resolution: SC # 189 | Proposed by: Topid
The Security Council,

Knowing the region of St Abbaddon was occupied in 2015 by a predatory military organization, and all nations in the region were ejected in a refound attempt,

Noting that refound attempt failed due to the World Assembly Security Council's quick action to hinder the occupying force,

Observing the region is now controlled by natives free from all invaders,

Celebrating the survival and subsequent securing of St Abbaddon as a victory for the World Assembly and NationStates as a whole,

Recognizing the region of St Abbaddon is now permanently closed with the password hidden and unknown to any member,

Believing regions with passwords should not be allowed to maintain the mark of significance created by a Security Council Liberation,

Hereby repeals Liberate of St Abbaddon.
This post is going to double as my "goodbye" thread.

I've not had any of the time I hoped I would have to run St Abby. As I've said before, I graduated with a masters degree and started my career in December. I thought once I got outside of tax season I'd have a couple hours of free time every night, but alas I'm having to come to terms with the fact NationStates just isn't going to fit into my adult life. I'm really sad about this, I've cared a whole lot about this site and many of the people on it. This site got me through some tough times, especially back in the old United Defenders League days.

I wish I had time to keep doing this, because NationStates is the coolest site in the world. But alas I am not capable of doing this in moderation, never have been, its either play hours a day or barely keep my nations from ceasing to exist. And for my real-life's sake, I need to choose the latter. If you see me posting as one of my identities around the multiverse after midnight or between 8-5 USA time on a weekday/night, bring the smackdown to me and remind me of this post.

Keep on keeping on everyone, I hope I get an opportunity to see you all again.

Topes
AKA Weed

We Are Not the NSA
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby We Are Not the NSA » Fri May 13, 2016 8:13 pm

That's a shitty pun in the first clause, but I support.

EDIT: Didn't see the retirement part until now. It's sad to see you go Topid. But RL calls I guess, can't blame you for moving on. Also, belated congrats on getting your degree. :)
Last edited by We Are Not the NSA on Fri May 13, 2016 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
\▼/We Are Not the NSA | Nohbdy | Eumaeus\▼/

Raiding HistorySecurity CouncilDear NativesTWP Raid

Retired Raider | He, Him, His | Bisexual

Cormactopia II
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Cormactopia II » Fri May 13, 2016 8:16 pm

I'm not sure how I feel about this proposal, and it has nothing to do with any remaining hostility to St Abbaddon.

For starters, the region was password-protected by its current Founder, Meteora Amore, a puppet of moderator Luna Amore. Is Luna planning to step down as Founder by either ceasing to exist or the Founder being removed? And even if so, don't liberation resolutions only apply to Delegate-imposed passwords? So wouldn't the password stay in place even with the liberation resolution still in effect?

While you are indeed more gameplay savvy than the former Delegate, I think you're missing some possible scenarios here. No, nobody will be giving out the password. But what if there are already raider sleepers in St Abbaddon? They could WA up later and take the Delegacy that way, and I doubt Moderation is going to give out the password to defenders to liberate the region either, since that would be a massive gameplay bias. Raiders could stick around long enough to take down the Founder-imposed password, and once it's removed they could then impose their own password if the liberation is removed.

I'm not at all sure it's in St Abbaddon's best interests to repeal the liberation resolution.

In regard to your retirement, while we haven't always agreed on everything and have butted heads at times, I'm glad to have known you in this game and you've certainly shown dedication to the safety of the regions you've put your heart into, especially St Abbaddon. You've also had a definite impact on the Security Council. You'll be missed.
Last edited by Cormactopia II on Fri May 13, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cormac Skollvaldr
Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris (3x)

Awards, Honors, and WA Authorships

"And to the contrary, the game is insufferably boring without Cormac's antics" - Sandaoguo (Glen-Rhodes), 22 September 2016

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Fri May 13, 2016 8:26 pm

Glad to have known you too Cormac.

Yes, the Liberation does not apply to the founder imposed password. Not sure if it would continue to apply if he did remove his nation as founder. I think the Lib would override the password then, in which case I'll never ask for the founder to be deleted and he can just let it CTE or whatever he wishes.

There will be no sleepers in St Abbaddon soon. This is really and truly the end of the St Abbaddon saga, I know how to wrap this up. ;)

EDIT: Thanks NSA, also re: shitty puns in proposals, I try. XD
Last edited by Topid on Fri May 13, 2016 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA Weed

Cormactopia II
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cormactopia II » Fri May 13, 2016 8:33 pm

Topid wrote:There will be no sleepers in St Abbaddon soon. This is really and truly the end of the St Abbaddon saga, I know how to wrap this up. ;)

Ah, I see. That was a much needed clarification. :P

Full support for this proposal, then, if this is what you really want and believe is best as the last remaining pre-DEN raid native of St Abbaddon.
Cormac Skollvaldr

"And to the contrary, the game is insufferably boring without Cormac's antics" - Sandaoguo (Glen-Rhodes), 22 September 2016

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Fri May 13, 2016 8:36 pm

Aye, the only scenario I'd be somewhat concerned to see is a Hawkswind return to NS with a locked down region. But I doubt very much he'll be back.
AKA Weed

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sat May 14, 2016 12:42 am

The password only works as long as the founder exists. If I clear the founder field, the game defaults to treating it as a delegate imposed password.

If St Abbaddon wants to return to a truly founderless state with a password, the Liberation would need to be repealed.

Cormactopia II
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cormactopia II » Sat May 14, 2016 2:14 am

Luna Amore wrote:The password only works as long as the founder exists. If I clear the founder field, the game defaults to treating it as a delegate imposed password.

If St Abbaddon wants to return to a truly founderless state with a password, the Liberation would need to be repealed.

Thanks for that information, I wasn't entirely sure how that worked -- after more than four years playing. I guess you do learn something new every day. :P

In any event, given this is the case then I definitely think the repeal should pass.
Cormac Skollvaldr

Adytus
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Adytus » Mon May 16, 2016 2:36 pm

Believing regions with passwords should not be allowed to maintain the mark of significance created by a Security Council Liberation,

Ambassador Mike Lynn walks in,

IC: I support this proposal. However, I think this sentence needs to be more particular. I am afraid it narrows the scope of the council as it stands now. The mark of significance created by a liberation can have different symbolic meanings as it relates to each resolution. While you believe it does not deserve to maintain the mark of significance created by a liberation, in the future, other regions may have their liberations recognized with greater meaning than just the removal or placement of a password. This allows authors to imply symbolic meanings behind their liberations, and I do not see a reason why this council should not be allowed to do that. Perhaps you could change it to this:

Believing St Abbaddon, which has a founder-imposed password, no longer needs to maintain the mark of significance created by a Security Council Liberation,

This is just a suggestion. I will support the proposal, regardless. Thank you for your time, Topid.
Last edited by Adytus on Mon May 16, 2016 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necromancer of Arbitration
In Lazarus

Evil Wolf
Minister

Founded: Apr 28, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Mon May 16, 2016 9:06 pm

Didn't we go through this same act years ago with the last "Repeal 'Liberate St Abbaddon'"? How many times are we going to Liberate and Repeal over and over and over again?

Also that founder is entirely temporary and isn't suppose to be long term. In fact I'm a little confused as to why a Mod remains the temp founder, since DEN has been completely destroyed and the region is unquestionably liberated.
Last edited by Evil Wolf on Mon May 16, 2016 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's ok! You can trust me! I've been Commended!

Kryozerkia wrote:In the good old days raiding was illegal
Crazy Girl wrote:Invading was never illegal
[violet] wrote:There is supposed to be an invasion game.

Mallorea and Riva should be a Game Moderator Game Administrator.

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Mon May 16, 2016 9:19 pm

The last Liberate St Abbaddon was done by raiders, against native wishes. So if your question is how many times will raiders propose a Liberation of St Abby, I suppose you'd be in a better position to answer that than me.

I am not really one to answer about the intents of the current founder, but I am not under the impression the founder will be going away before the region is secure.

EDIT: re:Adytus, I'll look at that line a bit. I'm not sure calling it a founder imposed password is a good idea, it is a really odd situation.
Last edited by Topid on Mon May 16, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA Weed

Evil Wolf
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Mon May 16, 2016 9:26 pm

Topid wrote: I am not really one to answer about the intents of the current founder, but I am not under the impression the founder will be going away before the region is secure.

So basically the founder will remain until this repeal is passed? That's completely ridiculous, and potentially even favoritism.

How many other regions are getting an Admin-appointed temporary founder until their region can be made all safe and secure? Just St Abbaddon.

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Mon May 16, 2016 9:45 pm

Just FYI to everyone else out there: I didn't really anticipate quickly requesting the founder drop after the repeal either. Still a lot of nations in the region.

I don't see it as biased to be interested in preventing a DEN revenge raid. As far as I know, our region is the only one they spent several months (a significant portion of the average gameplay career) building influence in only to lose it all in a day. If a DEN successor were able to retake St Abby soon, it would feel to me like DEN saved face a bit in the whole Predator thing, or like they got the last word.

Our region was totally drained and destroyed by DEN, I for one hope the mods keep the founder alive long enough to wrap up St Abby without any risk.
AKA Weed

Evil Wolf
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Mon May 16, 2016 9:55 pm

Topid wrote:I don't see it as biased to be interested in preventing a DEN revenge raid. As far as I know, our region is the only one they spent several months (a significant portion of the average gameplay career) building influence in only to lose it all in a day. If a DEN successor were able to retake St Abby soon, it would feel to me like DEN saved face a bit in the whole Predator thing, or like they got the last word.

Our region was totally drained and destroyed by DEN, I for one hope the mods keep the founder alive long enough to wrap up St Abby without any risk.

DEN is permanently dead and any successor regions are banned.

As for "DEN revenge raid" that's some pretty silly logic. Raiders are going to target St Abbaddon because it's old, founderless, and a defender region, not as some kooky way to avenge DEN. This doesn't sound like a legitimate reason, this sounds like an excuse to extend the generous and extraordinary benefits that have already been bestowed upon St Abbaddon.

Topid, you have 78 endorsements and peaked at 108 endorsements on 14APR16, while the next highest nation has 10 endorsements. The region is already more than secure and no longer requires special Admin/Mod protection. This seems like the region is taking advantage of the situation.
Last edited by Evil Wolf on Mon May 16, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

General Knot
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby General Knot » Mon May 16, 2016 9:59 pm

Evil Wolf wrote:This doesn't sound like a legitimate reason, this sounds like an excuse to extend the generous and extraordinary benefits that have already been bestowed upon St Abbaddon.

Such is life.
General of the DEN
History will record the DEN as the most notorious, well-organized, and well-disciplined raider army ever to grace the battlefield.

Former Delegate of The West Pacific
World Assembly Resolution Author x4

Evil Wolf
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Mon May 16, 2016 10:02 pm

General Knot wrote:
Evil Wolf wrote:This doesn't sound like a legitimate reason, this sounds like an excuse to extend the generous and extraordinary benefits that have already been bestowed upon St Abbaddon.

Such is life.

Which isn't a good reason not to talk about it, especially when it's being used as a crutch to achieve a goal.

General Knot
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby General Knot » Mon May 16, 2016 10:05 pm

Evil Wolf wrote:
General Knot wrote:Such is life.

Which isn't a good reason not to talk about it, especially when it's being used as a crutch to achieve a goal.

Aye, I'd be the person to speak against it the most.
General of the DEN
History will record the DEN as the most notorious, well-organized, and well-disciplined raider army ever to grace the battlefield.

Evil Wolf
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Mon May 16, 2016 10:08 pm

General Knot wrote:Aye, I'd be the person to speak against it the most.

Well that's all rather cryptic and vague. Is there something you'd like to address specifically and in length?

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Mon May 16, 2016 10:11 pm

What matters isn't the endorsement gap when we start emptying the region, but rather how many raider sleepers are in the region. We know the answer is a lot, but hard to tell just how many have highish influence.(not in comparison to me one on one, but the group as a whole).

I am not good at influence math, and have been surprised at what the controls page has said I have enough influence to do even just as an RO though, so perhaps my concerns are misguided and you are correct in implying the situation is already over. I hope we don't have to find out, though.
General Knot wrote:
Evil Wolf wrote:

Aye, I'd be the person to speak against it the most.
Why you the most? Is St Abbaddon even older for you than for EW or is there some other aspect at play here that applies to you to a greater extent than anyone else? :P
AKA Weed

General Knot
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby General Knot » Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 pm

Evil Wolf wrote:
General Knot wrote:Aye, I'd be the person to speak against it the most.

Well that's all rather cryptic and vague. Is there something you'd like to address specifically and in length?

The reason being that I was the one invested in the 175+ endorsement occupation that came milliseconds close to refounding this historical region on two occasions. Defenders had standing orders for over two months to watch St Abbaddon every update. And no, not particularly. You've summed it up quite well and your opinion is worth much more than mine.
General of the DEN

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Tue May 17, 2016 3:22 pm

Full support for the resolution, best of luck with the clean-up and sealing-up of St Abbaddon, Topid.
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Tue May 17, 2016 5:56 pm

General Knot wrote:The reason being that I was the one invested in the 175+ endorsement occupation that came milliseconds close to refounding this historical region on two occasions.

Was that investment before or after your former organization started cheating?
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

General Knot
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby General Knot » Tue May 17, 2016 6:09 pm

Ridersyl wrote:
General Knot wrote:The reason being that I was the one invested in the 175+ endorsement occupation that came milliseconds close to refounding this historical region on two occasions.

Was that investment before or after your former organization started cheating?

Your organization began the cheating. Why beat the dead horse?

Again, all of DEN's occupations, including St Abbaddon, were executed without script usage. I don't need scripts to be competent.
Last edited by General Knot on Tue May 17, 2016 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
General of the DEN

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Tue May 17, 2016 7:21 pm

General Knot wrote:Your organization began the cheating.

Osiris didn't begin squat. :p

In seriousness, TBR and the "new DEN" were the same organization, just minus the in-game presence of Halcones. So I don't get what your comeback is supposed to mean.

General Knot wrote:Why beat the dead horse?

You're disallowed from accusing others of dead horse beating until you change your forum signature.

General Knot wrote:Again, all of DEN's occupations, including St Abbaddon, were executed without script usage.

R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Herby
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Herby » Wed May 18, 2016 4:44 am

General Knot wrote:Again, all of DEN's occupations, including St Abbaddon, were executed without script usage. I don't need scripts to be competent.

Yeah that explains all the DEATs and DOSes and WA bans and DEN regions deleted, don't it? Come on man you ain't foolin' nobody.
-- Ambassador #53. From the nation of Herby. But you can call me Herby.

Herby's doors and windows are ALWAYS locked when she's in the Strangers' Bar (unless she unlocks them for you). And, she has no accelerator, a mock steering wheel, and no gear shifter. So, no joyrides.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Security Council