NATION

PASSWORD

Commendations/Condemnations

A chamber dedicated to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary.
Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Commendations/Condemnations

Postby Arkinesia » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:33 pm

I don't really know where to put this, but I want it to be distributed publicly.

Why are there so many ridiculous commendations and condemnations? They're so needless. The other day, I was sifting through proposals and over a full page was JUST commendations/condemnations!

A good thing has been horribly abused to the point where I would call for the ending of the proposal type, and any pseudo-commendations/condemnations should be considered illegal.

Really, it's getting ridiculous, and the WA will become like the UN of modern times–impotent and ineffective.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:06 pm

It's because people are drooling over the idea of being recognized for commending their friends and condemning their enemies. The whole SC C&C system is designed to be a giant, ridiculous, drama-filled popularity contest. I'm not sure if this was the original intent, but I can agree that it doesn't cease to agitate me.
Last edited by A mean old man on Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:28 pm

They're fun, and commendations are a good way of recognising people who have contributed to others enjoyment of the game, and condemnations a good way of marking out those who make NS less fun for the rest of us. Of course there are badly written proposals/resolutions, this is the WA - its nothing new.

Topid
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:24 pm

Arkinesia wrote:the WA will become like the UN of modern times–impotent and ineffective.

The WA never had an effect. It twisted numbers that less than 5% of the NS players care about anyway. It's hard to weaken something that is useless.
Last edited by Topid on Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA Weed

Travancore-Cochin
Envoy

Founded: Jun 25, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Travancore-Cochin » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:47 am

Arkinesia wrote:I don't really know where to put this, but I want it to be distributed publicly.

Why are there so many ridiculous commendations and condemnations? They're so needless. The other day, I was sifting through proposals and over a full page was JUST commendations/condemnations!

A good thing has been horribly abused to the point where I would call for the ending of the proposal type, and any pseudo-commendations/condemnations should be considered illegal.

Really, it's getting ridiculous, and the WA will become like the UN of modern times–impotent and ineffective.

And how many of them make it to vote?
Why do/don't they make it to vote?

The SC is designated to have minimal mod interference. As such, the SC proposal queue should be policed by delegates like you. If you find a C&C proposal that's fit to come to vote, then approve it by all means. If you feel otherwise, don't give your approval.

The Bruce
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Bruce » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:07 am

I have mixed feelings on the love/hate resolutions. On the one hand they’ve brought a lot of energy to the WA and brought a lot of regions into discussing resolutions, players who might have otherwise tuned the WA out. I don’t have a problem with the WA recognizing the good and the bad.

On the other hand they so often jump to the lowest denominator, where players vie for the right to have the mark of whatever stamped on their nation/region, in a grotesque popularity contest. They’ve also brought out a great deal of pettiness and outright lies, in both the intent and in the description of these resolutions. Still, it’s not like there has ever been a shortage of really bad regular, WA proposals and resolutions either, so this is just one more medium to get polluted.

I can see a place for these commend/condemn resolutions and hope that once the taste for shininess subsides that the WA finds a better balance for their application.

Station Man
Attaché

Founded: Mar 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Station Man » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:07 am

The Bruce wrote:
... I can see a place for these commend/condemn resolutions and hope that once the taste for shininess subsides that the WA finds a better balance for their application.

Finally a person making sense. Let's put purpose and value behind the whole Condemn/Commend process.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Security Council