NATION

PASSWORD

Condemns - Establishing why and how they can be used?

A chamber dedicated to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary.
Helertia
Minister

Founded: Nov 28, 2008
Ex-Nation

Condemns - Establishing why and how they can be used?

Postby Helertia » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:09 pm

As you will have no doubt noticed, recent debate on the WASC proposal "Repeal: Condemn Nazi Europe" has been slowed down by people arguing over what condemns can and cannot be used for. There are two camps - Condemn for in-game actions ONLY (region invasions, agressive recruitment etc) and Condemn for Ideology (Nazism)

Obviously, this isn't helpful in the debate and serves only to distract people from the actual issue
I have started this thread in order to find out about the possibilty of reaching some kind of formal consensus on what condemns can and cannot be used for, and how we might go about doing so

Your thoughts?
Do hypocrites hate hypocrisy?

Inflatable Gandalfs
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Inflatable Gandalfs » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:15 pm

There are two camps - Condemn for in-game actions ONLY (region invasions, agressive recruitment etc) and Condemn for Ideology (Nazism)

There are also some who hold that C&Cs shouldn't be based on either. Had you read the previous threads on this subject you'd know that. ;)

The most recent topic is here. I'm requesting a lock on this one.
Last edited by Inflatable Gandalfs on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I rest my case. Nurse! My medication!

Helertia
Minister

Founded: Nov 28, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Helertia » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:16 pm

Ga, didn't notice that. I'm on flu meds, I have no idea what I'm doing half the time, please don't kill me

Obviously not widely read, judging by the debate about that repeal
Last edited by Helertia on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do hypocrites hate hypocrisy?

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:33 pm

There needn't be a dichotomy. I think that a C/C proposal can focus on any attribute that the SC feels is worthy of note. That can (but doesn't need to) include ideological reasons, though there should be some in-game reason for the C/C - participating in the raiding/defense game should count, as should RP forum activity (NS, II, WA subforums). Only commending (or condemning, I suppose) moderators for doing their jobs has been expressly forbidden. I'm not too particular on the wording, unlike my incredible lawful readings of GA proposals, since C/C resolutions have a smaller international footprint. Somebody coming by and saying either "Yay, we like you", or "Boo, you suck", even in an official capacity will have a lesser impact than, say, legalizing same-sex marriage, banning biological weapons, or trying to expand trade.

Also, I don't need to be told what is and isn't helpful. The repeal effort you have cited hinges on this debate - whether ideological concerns are sufficient for a C/C proposal. Thus, it is hardly a distraction to mention Krioval's position: C/C proposals can be primarily ideological in origin, so long as there is some in-game justification, even if that justification is mentioned in the discussion thread.
Last edited by Krioval on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Homer and Peter
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Homer and Peter » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:43 am

It says explicit in the FAQ section that WA resolutions affect only WA nations. It's voluntarily to join the WA. Regions do not join the WA, and any resolution which affects a region, for any given reason is violation of the rules. It gives the NS Mods power to mould regions after their own liking. C&C resolutions are intending to affect regions, thus enforcing a stupid symbol upon the region's WFE. The whole SC crap must go!

Gobbannium
Envoy

Founded: Jan 10, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Gobbannium » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:08 am

Homer and Peter wrote:It says explicit in the FAQ section that WA resolutions affect only WA nations. It's voluntarily to join the WA. Regions do not join the WA, and any resolution which affects a region, for any given reason is violation of the rules. It gives the NS Mods power to mould regions after their own liking. C&C resolutions are intending to affect regions, thus enforcing a stupid symbol upon the region's WFE. The whole SC crap must go!

While I personally despise the whole SC stuff, all that this shows is that the FAQ needs a minor correction. What it says is correct for resolutions in the General Council, which was all it was written to cover.

Kalibarr
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalibarr » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:48 pm

I think the SC needs more guidance,but the standard response from the Mods/Admins is "It's up to WA nations to decide,what deserves a Condemn/Commend".

Cinistra
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cinistra » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:02 am

A proper SC is elected. Here it is "Mod rule", as every WA nation can vote, as in the case of the GA. I have hard distinguishing the difference :blink:
"Send forth all legions! Do not stop the attack until the city is taken! Slay them all!"
>Can I invade other people's regions?

Yes. The practice of "region crashing," where a group of nations all move to a region with the aim of seizing the WA Delegate position, is part of the game. Certain groups within NationStates are particularly adroit at this, and can attack very quickly.
>Once I've taken over a region, can I eject everyone else?

You can try. Invader Delegates tend to have very little Regional Influence, which makes ejecting long-time residents difficult. But Delegates can be as kind, generous, evil, or despotic as they wish. It's up to regional residents to elect good Delegates.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:08 am

The difference is in what they deal with, they don't have to work in different ways in terms of passing resolutions.

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:36 am

You should always use condoms when engaging in sexual activity if there is a concern over contracting an STD or causing a pregnancy.
Oh. Condemns. Huh.

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:18 am

Krioval wrote:You should always use condoms when engaging in sexual activity if there is a concern over contracting an STD or causing a pregnancy.
Oh. Condemns. Huh.

Well, someone had to force a condom on those freewheeling nazis ! :p

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Security Council