NATION

PASSWORD

Draft: Repeal "Liberate Feudal Japan"

A chamber dedicated to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Havensky
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havensky » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:08 pm

Inflatable Gandalfs wrote:Finally, why should the natives of a region have to appeal to the WA for permission to impose password protection again? Why can't the "Liberation" effect simply expire after a few months and render the question of repeal moot? Seems to me a far more efficient regime than voting 2+ times on the same region's predicament.

I agree with the aspect that there has to be a better method of executing a liberation from the standpoint of the Security Council. However, it's not relevant to the current resolution. Which, as I stated previously, is a pretty straight forward thing. Liberations and their repeals are utilitarian in nature. As long as the natives get back the ability to protect their region, the wording is just gravy. It's just that since native leader is actively involved in the debate, we should defer to him to present the proposal.

The Build-A-Better-Moustrap-Liberation Category should go in a different thread.
The Skybound Republic of Havensky
(Pronounced Haven-Sky)

Inflatable Gandalfs
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Inflatable Gandalfs » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:44 pm

Sigh...I suppose I'll have to gravedig the Liberation bug reports thread and raise the issue again...
I rest my case. Nurse! My medication!

Inflatable Gandalfs
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Inflatable Gandalfs » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Anime Daisuki wrote:
Inflatable Gandalfs wrote:I think what "really matters" to you is making sure you're acknowledged as an author in some way, but your insatiable ego is another matter entirely.

That borders on flame-baiting.

Let's stay on the subject and actually work to improve the legislation please.

You're not a moderator. If you have a problem with my conduct, report it.

Knights of Zion
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 25, 2004
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Knights of Zion » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:53 pm

A number of replies have brought wonderful ideas forward. I do wish to be mindful of objectionable adjectives applied to defender/invader actions. Frankly I'm very unfamiliar with this entire sphere; I'm only grasping the lingo now perforce, and the sensitivity around it. Consequently I'll aim to avoid stepping into praise or condemnation territory. Defender-invader rivalry is sure to continue, but we'd rather not be the rope in this tug of war.

Repeal "Liberate Feudal Japan"
A proposal to retire a previously passed Liberation resolution.

Statements captured by Security Council Resolution #6: Liberate Feudal Japan (Category: Liberation) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

RECOGNISING Feudal Japan, a formerly sizeable and active region prior to its invasion in November 2007, has been restored to the recognized heirs of its founder, as anticipated by the passage of said Liberation resolution;

NOTING that forces of the FRA, TITO, Equilism, Texas, Europeia, 00000 A World Power, Yggdrasil, The United Kingdom, Crusaders of Justice, Liberty Alliance, Antarctica, and Royal Federation of Nations have accomplished this by neutralizing the act of invasion perpetrated by Catlandatopia, Fox Rite, The Cathedral, and Blades of Conquest upon the region Feudal Japan as it was cited in that resolution;

UNDERSTANDING while the region remains in contention between these opposing forces and under the threat of repeat invasion and assault, there is risk of disruption to the reclamation activities of the neutral residents of Feudal Japan as they rebuild their shattered community, as well as imposition to its desire for removing itself as a battleground so it may exist in peace;

FURTHER recognizing that the constructive act of rebuilding this region will swiftly contradict the Liberation resolution's statement that "current occupiers have left the region to rot and degrade into a mockery of its former self", which referred to its status post-invasion, pre-reclamation;

AWARE that the only hope for true peace and security being restored to this founderless region and for defusing uneasy standoff amongst the international community is by way of removing this "bone of contention" from the international stage, which requires restoring the region's ability for password protection as defence against future aggressors;

HEREBY retires Security Council Resolution #6 "Liberate Feudal Japan".

The KoZ
Civil Servant

Founded: May 18, 2005
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The KoZ » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:05 pm

After conferring with my collegues, it was decided this should be put to vote sooner rather than later for purposes of the queue.

Unfortunately in my haste, I have not properly cited all the assistance I have received in producing this draft. Great thanks are in order, as assistant authors, to:

Sedge, for his editorial assistance and advice when I was producing my draft.
Charlotte Ryberg, for her alternative version and for launching this discussion topic.
Havensky, for his alternative version, prompting and support.
Last edited by The KoZ on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:27 pm

Wow. Another waste of WA time. The region was liberated. We're done here. Can't the native delegate use the eject/banlist to keep out nefarious characters? Can't defenders be mobilized to, well, defend the region in the case of a repeat invasion? Or have we finally realized that the SC can't differentiate between natives, invaders, and defenders any better than can a reasonably well-informed eight year old, and we'll have to adjudicate the status of about five different regions on a monthly basis?

Also, damn that is a lot of branding. 16 regions listed in addition to Feudal Japan?!

Havensky
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havensky » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:31 am

Given that in order for the WA to make an informed decision they have to know what happened, I don't think mentioning regional participants is branding.
(Pronounced Haven-Sky)

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:51 am

Havensky wrote:Given that in order for the WA to make an informed decision they have to know what happened, I don't think mentioning regional participants is branding.

Mentioning too much participants is considered in my opinion to be overkill, I tend to opt for words regarding "a consortium led by Defenderland" or something: what counts as branding is when the author mentions "The government of Anytopia" or "signed, government of Anytopia", something that doesn't suggest to be the voice of the WA. However, it doesn't imply you have to write "The World Assembly", as the drafts, both by me and Knights of Zion, show.

Cinistra
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cinistra » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:49 am

I agree with Krioval. FJ has been "liberated". It now lives in servitude by the "goodwill" of the defenders. The resolution has had the wanted effect. A repeal is waste of time.
"Send forth all legions! Do not stop the attack until the city is taken! Slay them all!"
>Can I invade other people's regions?

Yes. The practice of "region crashing," where a group of nations all move to a region with the aim of seizing the WA Delegate position, is part of the game. Certain groups within NationStates are particularly adroit at this, and can attack very quickly.
>Once I've taken over a region, can I eject everyone else?

You can try. Invader Delegates tend to have very little Regional Influence, which makes ejecting long-time residents difficult. But Delegates can be as kind, generous, evil, or despotic as they wish. It's up to regional residents to elect good Delegates.

New Dracora
Envoy

Founded: Jul 03, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Dracora » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:04 am

Martyrdoom wrote:
New Dracora wrote:
Martyrdoom wrote:Shameless

Indeed you are sir.

That's a shameful comment!

Next time I'll TG you and make sure it's ok to post on here and speak my mind yeah?

Make sure you do.

Martyrdoom
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Martyrdoom » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:08 am

RECOGNISING Feudal Japan, a formerly sizeable and active region prior to its invasion in November 2007, has been restored to the recognized heirs of its founder, as anticipated by the passage of said Liberation resolution;

Initial illegality compounding and justifying more illegality.

NOTING that forces of the FRA, TITO, Equilism, Texas, Europeia, 00000 A World Power, Yggdrasil, The United Kingdom, Crusaders of Justice, Liberty Alliance, Antarctica, and Royal Federation of Nations have accomplished this by neutralizing the act of invasion perpetrated by Catlandatopia, Fox Rite, The Cathedral, and Blades of Conquest upon the region Feudal Japan as it was cited in that resolution;

They accomplished this illegal act (i.e. the imposition in power of a preferred groups of nations) by,er, neutralising an invasion with another invasion?

UNDERSTANDING while the region remains in contention between these opposing forces and under the threat of repeat invasion and assault, there is risk of disruption to the reclamation activities of the neutral residents of Feudal Japan as they rebuild their shattered community, as well as imposition to its desire for removing itself as a battleground so it may exist in peace;

You should have got yourselves together and re-founded the region or installed the very password you want to install now (which, ironically, is at the expense of the 'free-entry' you initially were all for). Saves everyone, including defenders, a lot of time and effort.

FURTHER recognizing that the constructive act of rebuilding this region will swiftly contradict the Liberation resolution's statement that "current occupiers have left the region to rot and degrade into a mockery of its former self", which referred to its status post-invasion, pre-reclamation;

There's a word that can be used for the whole liberation concept: 1st password = bad, 2nd password = good: Cake. Have. Eat.

AWARE that the only hope for true peace and security being restored to this founderless region and for defusing uneasy standoff amongst the international community is by way of removing this "bone of contention" from the international stage, which requires restoring the region's ability for password protection as defence against future aggressors;

I don't think the region deserves a password after initially refraining from using one. You should use your banject tools like everyone else who enters the trade-off between security and region-growth dichotomy.
Last edited by Martyrdoom on Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smelled a Spring on the Salford wind

Martyrdoom
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Martyrdoom » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:10 am

New Dracora wrote:
Martyrdoom wrote:
New Dracora wrote:

Indeed you are sir.

Next time I'll TG you and make sure it's ok to post on here and speak my mind yeah?

Make sure you do.

So sorry ND, just posted as I saw your command. I'll send you a retrospective one.

Havensky
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havensky » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:20 am

Cinistra wrote:I agree with Krioval. FJ has been "liberated". It now lives in servitude by the "goodwill" of the defenders. The resolution has had the wanted effect. A repeal is waste of time.

I disagree, honored ambassador. The defending forces are present at the request of the native government, which - if I may point out the obvious - submitted the repeal.

The wanted effect, as discussed in the original liberation resolution, was to return contol of the region back to the natives. This is only half-done. Feudal Japan is still vunerable to attack while the liberation proposal stands in place, therefore it is not a waste of time. Once password protection is given back to the natvies - the region will finally be at peace after being crashed for so long.

I understand the frustration that is occuring with having to revisit the issue twice. If there was a more practical way of doing it - I'd be all for it. I'll lobby the mods for it. However, until such time, it would be a travesty to punish Fuedal Japan by denying the navties of being able to protect themselves just because a few delegates don't want to vote on an issue twice.
(Pronounced Haven-Sky)

New Dracora
Envoy

Postby New Dracora » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:21 am

Martyrdoom wrote:
New Dracora wrote:
Martyrdoom wrote:
New Dracora wrote:

Indeed you are sir.

Make sure you do.

So sorry ND, just posted as I saw your command. I'll send you a retrospective one.

You shall be forgiven this time, in future however, I expect you to treat me with the respect that is deserved by me as your god. Now go... and see that you do not disapoint me a second time.

Martyrdoom
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Martyrdoom » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:32 am

New Dracora wrote:
Martyrdoom wrote:
New Dracora wrote:
Martyrdoom wrote:
New Dracora wrote:

Indeed you are sir.

Make sure you do.

You shall be forgiven this time, in future however, I expect you to treat me with the respect that is deserved by me as your god. Now go... and see that you do not disapoint me a second time.

A good argument for atheism if I ever heard one. Anyways, far from being even a Thomas Aquinas, you'd have be....Jim Jones!

New Dracora
Envoy

Postby New Dracora » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:03 am

Martyrdoom wrote:A good argument for atheism if I ever heard one. Anyways, far from being even a Thomas Aquinas, you'd have be....Jim Jones!

I find your lack of faith... disturbing.

*mental strangle trick*

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:21 am

Havensky wrote:I disagree, honored ambassador. The defending forces are present at the request of the native government, which - if I may point out the obvious - submitted the repeal.

The wanted effect, as discussed in the original liberation resolution, was to return contol of the region back to the natives. This is only half-done. Feudal Japan is still vunerable to attack while the liberation proposal stands in place, therefore it is not a waste of time. Once password protection is given back to the natvies - the region will finally be at peace after being crashed for so long.

I understand the frustration that is occuring with having to revisit the issue twice. If there was a more practical way of doing it - I'd be all for it. I'll lobby the mods for it. However, until such time, it would be a travesty to punish Fuedal Japan by denying the navties of being able to protect themselves just because a few delegates don't want to vote on an issue twice.

There is a practical way of dealing with this: leave the liberation in effect and stop wasting the WA's time. You must realize that if invaders are interested in crashing Feudal Japan again, they'll do so right before this repeal passes, right? And should they succeed, admittedly a longshot, then we'll be discussing a new Liberate Feudal Japan proposal/resolution. As it stands, an invasion in FJ can be repelled by defenders overnight; the liberation resolution on the books would allow the same restoration mechanism to proceed as it already has. The natives already have all the defense they need, as they have allied with others to resist and expel the invaders. Don't tell me that defenders are going to complain that they might have to revisit FJ to repel an attack - isn't that what defenders do these days?

Havensky
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havensky » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:45 pm

I admit, there is some risk - but the native leadership has accepted that risk. Its part of the regions right of self determination.

They want their rights back - the WA should give them a chance to fight for it by putting this resolution up for appeal.
(Pronounced Haven-Sky)

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:46 pm

I am in support of a repeal happening regardless of the version, if the region needs it then we should respect their wishes.

Yours,

Cinistra
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cinistra » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:48 pm

There is no need to waste the time of The WA with a repeal. Just refound Feudal Japan. The region seems quite safe with the invaders expelled, and the natives protected by the "NS police". Now it's up to the residents to keep Feudal Japan safe. Every other region manages by themselves, or is the situation in Feudal Japan so dire they need the WA to nanny it's refound?
"Send forth all legions! Do not stop the attack until the city is taken! Slay them all!"
>Can I invade other people's regions?

Yes. The practice of "region crashing," where a group of nations all move to a region with the aim of seizing the WA Delegate position, is part of the game. Certain groups within NationStates are particularly adroit at this, and can attack very quickly.
>Once I've taken over a region, can I eject everyone else?

You can try. Invader Delegates tend to have very little Regional Influence, which makes ejecting long-time residents difficult. But Delegates can be as kind, generous, evil, or despotic as they wish. It's up to regional residents to elect good Delegates.

Havensky
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havensky » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:07 pm

Every other player created region also has the ability to be password protected - except Feudal Japan.
(Pronounced Haven-Sky)

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:26 pm

Cinistra wrote:There is no need to waste the time of The WA with a repeal. Just refound Feudal Japan. The region seems quite safe with the invaders expelled, and the natives protected by the "NS police". Now it's up to the residents to keep Feudal Japan safe. Every other region manages by themselves, or is the situation in Feudal Japan so dire they need the WA to nanny it's refound?

Have you tried re-founding a region when its not password-protected, and when its being targeted by invaders?

Inflatable Gandalfs
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Inflatable Gandalfs » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:30 pm

Havensky wrote:Every other player created region also has the ability to be password protected - except Feudal Japan.

Don't forget belgium (and they seem to be doing fine). I really don't think that having to appeal to the WA to help rout invaders should come without a penalty. This isn't all about rah-rah-defenders!, you know.

Travancore-Cochin
Envoy

Founded: Jun 25, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Travancore-Cochin » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:48 pm

Inflatable Gandalfs wrote:
Havensky wrote:Every other player created region also has the ability to be password protected - except Feudal Japan.

Don't forget belgium (and they seem to be doing fine). I really don't think that having to appeal to the WA to help rout invaders should come without a penalty. This isn't all about rah-rah-defenders!, you know.

Liberations were never about defenders - they were about natives. Belgium decided that they'd rather not have a pw; FJ decided otherwise.

Inflatable Gandalfs
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Inflatable Gandalfs » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:25 pm

Travancore-Cochin wrote:Liberations were never about defenders - they were about natives.

Exactly, which is why I said the natives shouldn't just get a free boost from the WA and not incur some sort of penalty for it. This is, after all, a game, not a humanitarian agency. If natives had the absolute "right" to govern their own regions without any threat from raiders, then defender armies wouldn't even be necessary.

Also, Liberations "were"? Past tense? Does that mean this is the last Liberation? God, let's hope so. :roll:
Last edited by Inflatable Gandalfs on Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Security Council