NATION

PASSWORD

Human Rights Enforcement

A chamber dedicated to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary.
Balaerica
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Human Rights Enforcement

Postby Balaerica » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:36 pm

I have noticed a disturbing trend in the world assembly; and it ought to be the security council's responsibility to take care of it.

That is that the WA is totally ignoring the internal affairs of various nations. All current security council resolutions are related to raiding, account jacking, and forum destruction; external crimes.

Shouldn't the Security Council also step in to put a stop to human rights abuse? There are some nations that have gained a tremendous amount of prestige in the international community over their WA activity, yet who enact extremely abusive policies against their citizens.

Am I the only one who thinks that's wrong?

Paper Flowers
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Paper Flowers » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:52 am

The most that the SC could do is to either condemn nations who enact "extremely abusive" policies, or to withhold commendations where they are suggested for other actions (I assume that the above ambassador is posting this in response to the likely passing of AMOMs commendation.) I would suggest that either action is unlikely to have a massive impact on the internal policies of a nation however.
Liam. A. Saunders - Paper Flowers Ambassador to the World Assembly.

Factbook (under construction - last update 14th November 2012)
Current Affairs - Ambassador Walkers disappearance remains a mystery, Ambassador Saunders promoted in his place.

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2004
Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:21 am

There is a sizable segment of the Nationstates population that ignores the issue-answering, nation governing side of the game altogether, and treats each nation simply as a player. Regional and inter-regional activities are what concern us, and the politics of your nation is about as important as your favorite color or food, when it comes to commending or condemning you.

Balaerica wrote:That is that the WA is totally ignoring the internal affairs of various nations. All current security council resolutions are related to raiding, account jacking, and forum destruction; external crimes.

Also, that statement isn't quite true. See condemnations of The Kraven Corporation, Greater Tezdrian, and Omigodtheykilledkenny for a few examples.
[violet] wrote:You are definitely not genial.
[violet] wrote:Congratulations to Crushing Our Enemies for making the first ever purchase. :)

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:13 pm

Balaerica wrote:Shouldn't the Security Council also step in to put a stop to human rights abuse?

If you feel the need to write up such a condemnation, go for it. :lol:

The SC is mostly used to commend/condemn OOC events rather than things pertaining to issue answering. It would also be really, really impractical to condemn every nation who isn't an "Inoffensive Centrist Democracy" or some other "good" form of government.

Cinistra
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cinistra » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:12 am

Balaerica wrote:I have noticed a disturbing trend in the world assembly; and it ought to be the security council's responsibility to take care of it.

That is that the WA is totally ignoring the internal affairs of various nations. All current security council resolutions are related to raiding, account jacking, and forum destruction; external crimes.

Shouldn't the Security Council also step in to put a stop to human rights abuse? There are some nations that have gained a tremendous amount of prestige in the international community over their WA activity, yet who enact extremely abusive policies against their citizens.

You're joking, right :blink: ?
"Send forth all legions! Do not stop the attack until the city is taken! Slay them all!"
>Can I invade other people's regions?

Yes. The practice of "region crashing," where a group of nations all move to a region with the aim of seizing the WA Delegate position, is part of the game. Certain groups within NationStates are particularly adroit at this, and can attack very quickly.
>Once I've taken over a region, can I eject everyone else?

You can try. Invader Delegates tend to have very little Regional Influence, which makes ejecting long-time residents difficult. But Delegates can be as kind, generous, evil, or despotic as they wish. It's up to regional residents to elect good Delegates.

Dizyntk
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dizyntk » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:30 am

"You mean to tell me that you think the SC actually does anything? Well, anything that really matters to anyone outside the SC?"
Dizyntk WA Ambassador Princess Feyalisa Zerleen Profile
What is a Dizyntk you ask? Dizyntk Info
Cyanka is the Dizyntk year and is equal to 18 earth months. Do your own math.

Balaerica
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Impracticality

Postby Balaerica » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:27 pm

I am not speakIng about non-members, but WA members should have to meet certain standards within a certain amount of time. The UN was created with the goal of preventing holocausts, an internal event. Shouldn't the WA follow a similar pattern of core values?

I'm just testing the waters here to get opinions. Maybe delegates at the least ought to meet certain standards?

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:33 pm

Balaerica wrote:I am not speakIng about non-members, but WA members should have to meet certain standards within a certain amount of time. The UN was created with the goal of preventing holocausts, an internal event. Shouldn't the WA follow a similar pattern of core values?

I'm just testing the waters here to get opinions. Maybe delegates at the least ought to meet certain standards?

My standards for whether a proposal gets my approval are this
  • Does the writer have a legitimate claim (region-griefing, being mean/inactive/evil do not count)?
  • Has the selected recipient (object of the commendation/condemnation) done terrible, international things on multiple occasions?
  • Is the commend/condemn based on only on RP posts/acts?

Depending on the answer to those, I make my decision on whether or not I will approve a proposal.

Metania
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 31, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Metania » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:37 pm

Balaerica wrote:I am not speakIng about non-members, but WA members should have to meet certain standards within a certain amount of time. The UN was created with the goal of preventing holocausts, an internal event. Shouldn't the WA follow a similar pattern of core values?

No, because that would be trying to change the rules of the game itself, which we're not allowed to do.
Determination Overcomes Adversity
Jul

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:02 pm

Balaerica wrote:I have noticed a disturbing trend in the world assembly; and it ought to be the security council's responsibility to take care of it.

What are you smoking? :blink:

Ambassador Tim shook his head

This little child needs to learn that The SC is made to give shiny badges to people; not to actually do anything meaningful... :p
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

The Greater Aryan Race
Senator

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Aryan Race » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:18 am

So what? You're going to condemn EVERY Fascist and Communist and evil Totalitarian Dictatorship nation?
Imperium Sidhicum wrote:So, uh... Is this another one of those threads where everyone is supposed to feel outraged and circle-jerk in agreement of how injust and terrible the described incident is?

Because if it is, I'm probably going to say something mean and contrary just to contradict the majority.

This nation is now IC-ly known as the Teutonic Reich.

Cinistra
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cinistra » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:38 am

The Greater Aryan Race wrote:So what? You're going to condemn EVERY Fascist and Communist and evil Totalitarian Dictatorship nation?

No, only those nations who are in the WA, ensuring that entire regions goes free, as well as 90% of the totalitarian nations in this game.
"Send forth all legions! Do not stop the attack until the city is taken! Slay them all!"
>Can I invade other people's regions?

Yes. The practice of "region crashing," where a group of nations all move to a region with the aim of seizing the WA Delegate position, is part of the game. Certain groups within NationStates are particularly adroit at this, and can attack very quickly.
>Once I've taken over a region, can I eject everyone else?

You can try. Invader Delegates tend to have very little Regional Influence, which makes ejecting long-time residents difficult. But Delegates can be as kind, generous, evil, or despotic as they wish. It's up to regional residents to elect good Delegates.

The Greater Aryan Race
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Aryan Race » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:42 am

So nations not in the WA won't be canned?
Imperium Sidhicum wrote:So, uh... Is this another one of those threads where everyone is supposed to feel outraged and circle-jerk in agreement of how injust and terrible the described incident is?

Because if it is, I'm probably going to say something mean and contrary just to contradict the majority.

Sleepyyawn
Attaché

Founded: May 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sleepyyawn » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:48 am

I don't think so. The WA doesn't have power over people outside of their memberbase, I believe.

The Greater Aryan Race
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Aryan Race » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:51 am

:twisted: But seriously, that is an infringement on a nation's sovereignity. Forcing everyone to conform to the same human rights is just fantastical, a daydream.
Last edited by The Greater Aryan Race on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Metania
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 31, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Metania » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:44 am

It's a pipe dream to think of condemning thousands and thousands of nations anyway.
Determination Overcomes Adversity
Jul

Crazy girl
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Crazy girl » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:58 am

I'm in the WA. Start writing. 8)

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:44 pm

Sleepyyawn wrote:I don't think so. The WA doesn't have power over people outside of their memberbase, I believe.

That's true for the GA, but not the SC.
[violet] wrote:Congratulations to Crushing Our Enemies for making the first ever purchase. :)

Yammata
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yammata » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:49 pm

It is my own business how I treat my Citizens.
I am a Heathen (Asatru to be exact).

Creator of "Evolution: a super human RP"

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:13 pm

Yammata wrote:It is my own business how I treat my Citizens.

Irrelevant, but for what it's worth, very few actually care how you treat your citizens, so it's unlikely that you'll be condemned for it.

Matts Empire
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Matts Empire » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:32 pm

Well I think that you do have a point however, what about people who are not WA members? The resolution will only stop WA members but people who are not its not going to stop them. Besides Its the way of history so there isn't anything we can do about it.

:eyebrow: :meh:

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:20 pm

Matts Empire wrote:Well I think that you do have a point however, what about people who are not WA members? The resolution will only stop WA members but people who are not its not going to stop them. Besides Its the way of history so there isn't anything we can do about it.

I'm not certain I'm interpreting you correctly, but the Security Council can target any nation with Commend and Condemn resolutions, regardless of WA status. Regardless, most nations, WA or non-WA, will not be targeted for how they treat their citizens, unless perhaps they have a particularly pervasive reputation in II, and someone in the RP community nominated them based on that. (I know zilch about RP, so apologies if I'm using the wrong terminology, or am just dead wrong.)

Halastan
Attaché

Founded: Aug 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Halastan » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:18 pm

The security council can not do anything about what we decide to do to are people and if you really would like to start giving out condemnations for that. you could start with are nation I will even list every thing we have done so far

1. All politcal parties other than the ruling party have been banned anyone who was part of the other parties was arrested tortured and reeducated then released.
2. We have conducted Bio weapon and chemical weapon tests on small villages in the mountains of are country.
3. We have had mass public shootings of any protest conducted by anyone any protester that was left alive after was arrested and then executed
4. We have has Mercenary groups travel across borders and attack small towns killing the inhabitants and destoying property
5. We have sold numerous weapons to different terroist groups to use on other nations we deem a liability to our nation
6. We have tortured mostly all prisoners in our prisions.
7. We have public beatings conducted by are police force to ensure submission by are people.
8. The police have the right to raid any house and arrest whoever they want and take them to be questioned at the questionings they are tortured and beaten.
9. Halastan has an udesirably minority that has been causing problems they live in the southern half of the country we have sent the military there and put martial law into affect we have snipers on the roofs of buildings anyone seen out after curfew is shot. Mass executins occur daliy we intend to pacify the region by the end of the year.
10. We have government sponsored terrorism were we stage terroist incidents that cause mass causilties to are citizens and then are propaganda agency fabricates a story that shows the goverment taking out the terrorists and makes the people believe the government is there only savior
11. religion is banned in are country everyone must turn to the government for everything even faith.
12. all religious groups have been dealt with and any one caught practicing any other religion than the governemt religion is excuted.

If you want start condmeing nations I suggest you find more like are's because there are plenty of them out there.

-Halastans Ambassador
Last edited by Halastan on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:19 pm

Crazy girl wrote:I'm in the WA. Start writing. 8)

Tim runs off to draft Condemn Crazy Girl :P
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

Canadaiana
Envoy

Founded: May 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Canadaiana » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:49 pm

Dizyntk wrote:"You mean to tell me that you think the SC actually does anything? Well, anything that really matters to anyone outside the SC?"

It can kick the door open to all regions, outside of the WA or not.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Security Council