NATION

PASSWORD

Flag Burning

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:21 pm

Satirius wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:
Satirius wrote:
Fatatatutti wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:People who invoke freedom of expression to burn a flag are burnt on the same principle.

In civilized countries, freedom of expression does not extend to murder.

And Ranking, a portmanteau I just came up with that combines "Rand" and "wanking." I now define it as a blind belief in the whole notion that the strong do as they will and the weak accept what they must.

I would describe it as more conscious than blind. The strong do as they please unless instructed to do otherwise by a stronger entite often the government and the weak do what they must unless otherwise permitted by an entite stronger than the opposing often the government. As I believe in libertarian rule it would by hypocritical to intervene.

Yes, but this competition of the classes, so to speak is highly distracting from the creation of profit. While those of merit do have full freedom to exercise them, having the strong oppress the weak only evokes Newton's Third Law and distracts from the actual creation of profit, through such actions as sale of flags to meet demand after some have been burned.

I submit that being set on fire creates such a deterrence to individuals that they are forced to preform their civic duty as opposed to burning flags and such and the strong are so blessed by this deterrence they don't need to constantly assert their position.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Satirius
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Satirius » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:24 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Fatatatutti wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:As I believe in libertarian rule it would by hypocritical to intervene.

People who live in a democratic society and profess libertarian ideals are often the ones who would be least likely to survive in a true libertarian situation - i.e. they're being protected from what they claim to espouse by what they claim to despise.

Interesting assumption. Knock down the walls and see what prevails.

In the end you'll still want warm showers, not having to look over your back 24/7, paved roads, and reliable sources of food income over some hollow ideological satisfaction. Remember the little things, young belligerent. Remember the little things.
-OFFICIAL COMMUNIQUE FROM THE OFFICE OF EXHORTATIONS
ODECON | Pact of the Bros | Your Typical International Incidents Alliance
Satirius on WS, note this is for better RPers than you

Franberry - Sharfghotten - Rosbaningrad - Tyrandis - Jeuna
Unjustly Deleted by Unjust Tyranny, and I Don't Think I Need to Mention What I Mean by Tyranny

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:29 pm

Satirius wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:
Fatatatutti wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:As I believe in libertarian rule it would by hypocritical to intervene.

People who live in a democratic society and profess libertarian ideals are often the ones who would be least likely to survive in a true libertarian situation - i.e. they're being protected from what they claim to espouse by what they claim to despise.

Interesting assumption. Knock down the walls and see what prevails.

In the end you'll still want warm showers, not having to look over your back 24/7, paved roads, and reliable sources of food income over some hollow ideological satisfaction. Remember the little things, young belligerent. Remember the little things.
-OFFICIAL COMMUNIQUE FROM THE OFFICE OF EXHORTATIONS

I am capable of heating water and watching my back paved roads make me nervous and all men despise things they haven't fought for. We all want the little things. The perfect world is the one where we take them for ourselves.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.

Satirius
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Satirius » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:35 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Satirius wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:
Satirius wrote:
Fatatatutti wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:People who invoke freedom of expression to burn a flag are burnt on the same principle.

And Ranking, a portmanteau I just came up with that combines "Rand" and "wanking." I now define it as a blind belief in the whole notion that the strong do as they will and the weak accept what they must.

I would describe it as more conscious than blind. The strong do as they please unless instructed to do otherwise by a stronger entite often the government and the weak do what they must unless otherwise permitted by an entite stronger than the opposing often the government. As I believe in libertarian rule it would by hypocritical to intervene.

Yes, but this competition of the classes, so to speak is highly distracting from the creation of profit. While those of merit do have full freedom to exercise them, having the strong oppress the weak only evokes Newton's Third Law and distracts from the actual creation of profit, through such actions as sale of flags to meet demand after some have been burned.

I submit that being set on fire creates such a deterrence to individuals that they are forced to preform their civic duty as opposed to burning flags and such and the strong are so blessed by this deterrence they don't need to constantly assert their position.

From your nation's views on PETA as well as flag-burners, I see that your populace must abide by the strictest of social norms, instead of taking advantage of social variance into economic output.

Also, what would happen if an ubermensch were to ignite your banner?

Unjustly Deleted by Unjust Tyranny, and I Don't Think I Need to Mention What I Mean by Tyranny

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:51 pm

Satirius wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:
Satirius wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:
Satirius wrote:
Fatatatutti wrote:

From your nation's views on PETA as well as flag-burners, I see that your populace must abide by the strictest of social norms, instead of taking advantage of social variance into economic output.

Burning represents purification and beyond that burying a body at less than six feet still allows the smell to permeate the ground and digging six foot graves for traitors becomes quite tiring we find it more practical to kill and dispose of them in the same instant.

It depends entirely on whos present. If there wasn't an immeadiatley more powerful individual then a group of individuals of equal or lesser power may respond as they see fit and if that happens to be burning then I suppose he would be burnt.

Fatatatutti
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 02, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Fatatatutti » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:53 pm

Des-Bal wrote:We all want the little things. The perfect world is the one where we take them for ourselves.

What you don't seem to understand is that we would be taking then from you if we followed your philosophy.

Satirius
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Satirius » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:54 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Satirius wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:
Satirius wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:
Satirius wrote:
Fatatatutti wrote:

Burning represents purification and beyond that burying a body at less than six feet still allows the smell to permeate the ground and digging six foot graves for traitors becomes quite tiring we find it more practical to kill and dispose of them in the same instant.

It depends entirely on whos present. If there wasn't an immeadiatley more powerful individual then a group of individuals of equal or lesser power may respond as they see fit and if that happens to be burning then I suppose he would be burnt.

Barbarus es.

EDIT: OOC: where the hell did that first "u" come from
Last edited by Satirius on Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:59 pm

Fatatatutti wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:We all want the little things. The perfect world is the one where we take them for ourselves.

What you don't seem to understand is that we would be taking then from you if we followed your philosophy.

What you don't seem to understand is that I would be taking them from you as well. If you cannot defend something why should you have it?

Fatatatutti
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Fatatatutti » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:07 pm

Des-Bal wrote:If you cannot defend something why should you have it?

That's my point exactly. We can defend what we have. You can't.

Not only are you an insignificant, practically uninhabited little nation, but your people are so lacking in self-discipline that they kill each other over little things like flag-burning. If you have any sensible people at all, they must be begging to be invaded and they'd go over to the enemy in droves.

But there's too much evil in the world for us to fight all of it. So stop begging. We're not going to invade you.

First of Two
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby First of Two » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:10 pm

It all boils down to our philosophy of "Nex ut bardus."

Royalsoldiers
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Royalsoldiers » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:15 pm

It is illegal. If the outraged citizens don't kill him the government puts him/her in prison for twelve years in Fort Jackson which is located in Reino, Northern Region, Royalsoldiers. The burning an allied flag results in two days in prison. If it is a hated nation you will receive 100 Royish Credits out of the wasted Public Transportation budget that we our trying to eliminate.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:19 pm

Fatatatutti wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:If you cannot defend something why should you have it?

That's my point exactly. We can defend what we have. You can't.

Not only are you an insignificant, practically uninhabited little nation, but your people are so lacking in self-discipline that they kill each other over little things like flag-burning. If you have any sensible people at all, they must be begging to be invaded and they'd go over to the enemy in droves.

But there's too much evil in the world for us to fight all of it. So stop begging. We're not going to invade you.

Apologies I thought the "you" was referring to the average citizen. Libertarian policies are the only logical course for domestic affairs as an international it has little place. If that was your point then I must cede you are entirely correct. The governments job should be to manage the common defence and little else internationally speaking since the government already manages millitary affairs what you suggest isn't libertarian or even anarchic for that matter but a complete melee.

Person012345
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:22 pm

You may destroy or deface the flag in any way you wish. It is not looked upon unfavourably. People do not tend to do it because, due to it's acceptability, it is not an effective form of protest or way to upset anyone.
Last edited by Person012345 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fatatatutti
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Fatatatutti » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:29 pm

Des-Bal wrote:Libertarian policies are the only logical course for domestic affairs as an international it has little place.

If libertarianism is what is turning your people into such an immature, drooling mob, then it is making them weak and unable to stand up to international pressure. But trying to force one's own ideas on others doesn't strike me as very libertarian.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:35 pm

Fatatatutti wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:Libertarian policies are the only logical course for domestic affairs as an international it has little place.

If libertarianism is what is turning your people into such an immature, drooling mob, then it is making them weak and unable to stand up to international pressure. But trying to force one's own ideas on others doesn't strike me as very libertarian.

Our people show outstanding independence they've built their own school systems and maintain their own roads. What you would call a drooling mob I call a group of equal minded people living in a fashion that benefits all of them. I assure you they are quite mature and they have yet to yield to international pressure. It should be noted however that developing reports on a terrorist attack against the Republic of Free Los Angeles are considered neither a show of maturity or independence.

Frenca
Minister

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frenca » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:11 pm

Flag burning=Death penalty for now. We are considering changing this because this can be too cruel.
The Great Kingdom of Frenca and the Protectorates of The Kingdom of Auatris, The Kingdom of France-Bourbon, and The Kingdom of France and Bourbon
Factbook 1: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=40250 New Factbook!: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=69302
Old Embassies: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=37051 Embassies: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=44956
My villa. Resting in the archives.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.44

Takaram
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Takaram » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:18 pm

Fatatatutti wrote:

The key word there is civilized.

Fatatatutti
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Fatatatutti » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:19 pm

Des-Bal wrote:What you would call a drooling mob I call a group of equal minded people living in a fashion that benefits all of them.

What I'm calling a drooling mob is a bunch of "equal-minded" people who kill a fellow citizen for burning a flag. That most certainly does not benefit the citizen being killed, nor does the loss of dissenting ideas benefit the nation as a whole. It's making you weaker.

Grand France
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Grand France » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:22 pm

You can burn a flag legally in Grand France. I'm not saying it'll win you any friends, but hey, if you're that much of a pyromaniac, go on ahead if you must.

Honestly, most people would suggest you write a message of protest. It makes more sense.
"The rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or the labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

~ George Orwell

There's a widow in sleepy Chester
Who weeps for her only son;
There's a grave on the Pabeng River,
A grave that the Burmans shun;
And there's Subadar Prag Tewarri
Who tells how the work was done.

~ Excerpt from Rudyard Kipling's poem, The Grave of the Hundred Dead

If life gives you lemons, keep them, because, hey, free lemons.

President of the Republic: Mireille Lévesque

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:48 am

Fatatatutti wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:What you would call a drooling mob I call a group of equal minded people living in a fashion that benefits all of them.

What I'm calling a drooling mob is a bunch of "equal-minded" people who kill a fellow citizen for burning a flag. That most certainly does not benefit the citizen being killed, nor does the loss of dissenting ideas benefit the nation as a whole. It's making you weaker.

I fail to see how a unified cause is weakening the nation. Dissenting ideas in themselve are not discouraged but the people who have personally fought all their lives to ensure that security of that flag genrally respond poorly to it being desecrated. There truly are few things that would warrant immeadiate ,or fatal,violence from the masses. Our people just happen to think highly of their nation and respond poorly to disgusting hippies throwing blood on them. Avoid PETA and the immolation of symbols of state and you have generally free reign.

Fatatatutti
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Fatatatutti » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:28 am

Des-Bal wrote:I fail to see how a unified cause is weakening the nation.

The "unified cause" you're talking about is killing your own citizens. If you think you can strengthen your nation by "cleansing" it of undesirable elements, that's how genocide begins.

Dissenting ideas in themselve are not discouraged but the people who have personally fought all their lives to ensure that security of that flag genrally respond poorly to it being desecrated.

"Respond poorly" is the operative phrase there. If your people really knew what they were fighting for, their response might be more appropriate.

There truly are few things that would warrant immeadiate ,or fatal,violence from the masses. Our people just happen to think highly of their nation and respond poorly to disgusting hippies throwing blood on them. Avoid PETA and the immolation of symbols of state and you have generally free reign.

So there are "only" two ideas that you can't express without being killed by the mob? If they only murdered Jews and gypsies, would you still be patting yourself on the back?

DeusII
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby DeusII » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:34 am

Fatatatutti wrote:
DeusII wrote:We are not civil because we do now allow people to start violence and fires?

I said that you're not civilized because you do condone violence against dissenters.

There is no violence when punishment is conducted by the state.
Have you seen people acting suspiciously? They are probably a member of the Resistance. Contact your local State Security office immediately and do your duty to protect your home and family.
State Security
Northern Frontier Administration

Fatatatutti
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Fatatatutti » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:57 am

DeusII wrote:
Fatatatutti wrote:
DeusII wrote:We are not civil because we do now allow people to start violence and fires?

I said that you're not civilized because you do condone violence against dissenters.

There is no violence when punishment is conducted by the state.

Violence by the state against its own people is the worst kind of violence.

Rodrigues-Alves
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Rodrigues-Alves » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:01 am

To burn the symbols of the Rodrigues-Alves family is a huge offense in the lands of the Rosrigues-Alves. This is an outrageous crime, although free-speech is generally tolerated.

Apaduckadagwengo
Envoy

Founded: Feb 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Apaduckadagwengo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:03 am

All our citizens are kept well in order, despite crime rates at a high, patriotism is still in each one of our citizens hearts, they've learnt to love our country through the military training we put them through. Not even immigrants could burn our flag, 'cause they're not allowed in.
LCpl Ethan Edward West

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information