NATION

PASSWORD

Daylight Saving Time in your nation

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Valrem
Spokesperson

Founded: May 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrem » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:12 am

Originally DST was introduced here in 1916. It proved wildly unpopular and essentially got one president hounded out of office. DST was removed just 18 months after it was installed.

It was started up again in 1980 out of nessescity since that was the year a lot of other European nations adopted DST. There was a great deal of grumbling at the time but now it's just taken as a fact of life. In Valrem DST is coordinated with the European Union.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:29 am

Swilatia wrote:No daylight savings here. We find the wholde idea completely ridiculous.

What this guy said.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Gisbourne
Secretary

Founded: Oct 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Gisbourne » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:45 am

Grays Harbor wrote:We find the idea of changing clocks around to be ludicrous.

Exactly. What is the purpose behind this practice? What does it accomplish? It accomplishes nothing. Nothing at all.

Leepaidamba
Minister

Founded: Sep 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Leepaidamba » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:00 am

Yes, just changed it.
Factbook
Official name: the Grand Duchy of Leepaidamba
Short name: Amba
AKA: the Grand Duchy
Demonym: Leepaidamban/Amban
HoS: co-Grand Dukes David I and Anna I
HoG: Premier Jaap de Waal
Region: Nederland
Map by PB
FlagsNational animal: Rabit
National motto: "Paene est non." (Almost is not)
National anthem: " 't Lied der Vrijheid" (the Song of Freedom)
CapitalsCurrency: Amban Florin/Aƒ
Languages
Dependencies
No news

BrightonBurg
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby BrightonBurg » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:25 am

^^^ Brightonburg stays on stanard time in its canon..
"The great questions of the day will be decided not by speeches or majority votes ...but by blood and iron." - Prince Otto Von Bismarck.

Ibasira
Envoy

Founded: Oct 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ibasira » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:40 am

Gisbourne wrote:

Exactly. What is the purpose behind this practice? What does it accomplish? It accomplishes nothing. Nothing at all.

Except it makes the sun go up earlier during winter, which is kind of handy because sunlight tends to be the natural "Alarm clock" for humans, it's not natural for humans to wake up in the dark but nonetheless, they have to go to work at say, 8 AM, now during winter, when you live north of the equator, it would still be dark at that time. But with daylight saving time, it wouldn't be dark...or at least it would be brighter than without it. On the other hand, during summer when a person wants to go to sleep it can still be bright, and a person can't really sleep when the sun is still shining. So, yes it DOES accomplish something, it prevents us from disturbing our Circadian rhythm
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I am a fat hyper fur who likes to cum on pumas
The Empire of Ibàsira.
RP Population: 45 200 000 (including slave population) 28 800 000 (excluding slave population)
Factbook of Ibàsira (under construction)
Apply for an embassy in Ibàsira
Saurisia wrote:Yes, if there's a chance that a female lizard shows up in her underwear to a merchant to sell off her clothes, I am willing to take that chance!
1. Go to 3
2. Now to 6!
3. Oopsie, 7
4. Now 9
5. Er...lets go to 8
6. You lost the game
7. Oopsie again, go to 4
8. Almost there, go to 10
9. I SAID 5!!
10.Go to 2

Tired Goblins
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 12, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Tired Goblins » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:00 pm

I don't see the point. We just get up when the sun goes down and stay active until daylight like any civilized goblins.

Greater Rhodes
Senator

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Rhodes » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:03 pm

DST is observed in the Kingdom of Greater Rhodes and occurs every Spring and Autumn equinox.
Canadian
Political Compass
Member of: RIMT | CI | WA
Dominions: The Rhodian Antilles
New Factbook & Embassy in the Works--Never Forget

Great Valencia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Valencia » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:07 pm

No, timezones are pointless.

Our nation is huge, even bigger than Canada, but we have ONE time.
DEFCON 5
I will now go back to my easier habits of threatening to slice babies in half in order to find who the true mother is.- The Archregimancy
One other thing: There's no rule against profanity, but there IS a rule against spam. Bear that in mind, motherfuckers. - Lunatic Goofballs
"They. Are. Alive. Too." So are bacteria. I feel no pity when I use hand sanitizer.
-Conservative Morality
I hope they don't ban it. Going to the airport is the only time I can get anyone to feel me up anymore. -Minoriteeburg
"I'd find the tallest cliff I could, stand on the edge naked and hope I was sucked off." -Fartsniffage
Military Size: 46.2 Million (1%)

Ravenvalles
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ravenvalles » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:19 pm

The idea of "Daylight Savings" is utterly ridiculous. A number is just a number. If you want to get up an hour later or an hour earlier do so. It is kind of like those people who set their clocks 10 minutes ahead to trick themselves to be on time for work, etc. They are the type of people who can scare themselves by looking into a mirror and yelling "BOO". :o
"For surely it is folly to preach to children who will be riding rockets to the moon a morality and cosmology based on concepts of Good Society and of man's place in nature that were coined before the harnessing of the horse." - Joseph Campbell

“The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have - and that is a moral problem, not an economic one.” - Paul Heyne

"the soul of a free man looks at life as a series of problems to be solved, and solves them, while the soul of a slave whines, 'What can I do who am but a slave?'" - George S. Clason

Hirsan
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hirsan » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:27 pm

It's a ridiculous idea.
All info posted before October 31, 2010 is probably incorrect, so don't even try referencing it. I'm revamping this nation. Thank you.

Yasashii
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 09, 2009
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Yasashii » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:35 pm

Yasashii does not engage in DST. It's not that we find it ridiculous so much as our longitude and latitude do not make it as necessary as other nations find it to be.

Magdha
Secretary

Founded: Jan 19, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Magdha » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:24 pm

No DST for Magdha.

Saurisia
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisia » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:27 pm

Sure, we use DST, we do, we do!
Israslovakahzerbajan wrote:Stealing a copy of The Land Before Time.
Coccygia wrote:The only good mammal is a dead mammal.
Pythria wrote:Fascist dictatorship run by dinosaurs. I like it
Tartonica wrote:2/10 because dinosaurs do NOT rule nations (Except for Saurisia)
The Tavan Race wrote:Yeah, your nation scares me
Wolohanistan wrote:Saurisia - Dinosaur Dictatorship is the best dictatorship, not that we support that sort of thing.
Conoga wrote:Dinosaurs-in-Bikinis-Boy
Lancov wrote:Condemn, because we now have to go soak our brains in bleach.
The Floor Kippers wrote:We Have Dinosaurs.....Argument Rendered Invalid
Grossrheinland Reich wrote:DINOSAUR FETISHIST
Tetraca wrote:Also: yay, Saurisia's here! This thread just became more awesome :D
FT Population: 1,000,000,000,000
DINOSAURS RULE!

Rejistania
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Rejistania » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:37 pm

No DST here. In a tropical nation with very little difference in terms of day length, it makes no sense.
Rejis sjiki, linux sjiki, alari sjiki, korona sjiki!
Forever united, forever free, forever in justice, forever prospering!

"Tekneluru mi'aru mi aji, il'sidekhir'ra mi, lajistas. Mi'ki'vasu kynha'het kijitax." Hank͜hila Sede, first lentine (translation: A dream is only a dream until it is reached. After that, it becomes something trivial)

Headlines from the Na~ovi Nanti: Hetkali election ended in no candidate over 2% hurdle - Syku I Jai fired as coach of Aetaila Seli, youth coach Hea I Juien takes over reins of club - Rising number of fairy penguins in Sumumusumu and neighboring islands

This person is pro-EU and proud of it! They are also a Eurofederalist and want the Federated States of Europe!

Haydenish People
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Haydenish People » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:18 pm

Why simulate changing time zones?
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 7.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.56
Political Test

Read it. Read it now.
"There are three kinds of lies in the world: lies, damn lies and statistics."-Mark Twain

Jankenjin
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Jankenjin » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:44 pm

It's a moot point for our nation. Our planet, Teiensekai, has almost no axial tilt, so the Sun rises and sets at the same time each morning and evening, every day of the year. There's no need to adjust our clocks.
Yes, we have a Factbook, for all those odd facts about this bunch of weird aliens.

Anolil
Envoy

Founded: Jan 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Anolil » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:00 pm

We don't do it here in Anolil.
"We need breathing room, and everyone knows there ain't no air on the Moon! So let's get it the old-fashioned way - by invading our neighbors! Anolil will fall to the might of Anolil!"

Pommernia
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Pommernia » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:14 pm

We use it from the second Sunday of March until the first Sunday of November - Same as the US.
Last edited by Pommernia on Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information