NATION

PASSWORD

Main Military Weapon of Your Country (Mk. II)

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Wolohanistan
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wolohanistan » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:44 am

Questers wrote:What sort of gas operation does the WMA Mk 1 use?

Long stroke. I always forget to specify the operation.
groovy GROOVY grovey govey govy gov go grooovy
Deviant Art

Soliath
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Soliath » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:50 am

Name of Nation: The Kingdom of Soliath
Population: 12,345,293
Tech Level: PT (Tribal-Medieval)
Leader: King Victor Emmerson & Queen Umeko Saito
Government Type: Warrior Monarchy (Corrupt Dictatorship)
Capital City: The Imperial City
Focus: Military
Religion: None

Questers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:52 am

Wolohanistan wrote:

In which case you probably don't want the gas port on the bottom. Well, I suppose you don't have to, but the gas port has to line up -- or probably should -- with the bolt carrier which is mechanically fixed to the piston (as opposed to short stroke where it isn't, and direct impingement where there's no piston at all.) I think, anyway. Machine guns like the FN MAG and the M60 don't seem to, though, which is kinda confusing. I think it's because on machineguns which are belt fed/box fed you can have the bolt carrier below the bolt, which you can't have on automatic rifles.
Last edited by Questers on Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Restore the Crown

Wolohanistan
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wolohanistan » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:59 am

Questers wrote:
Wolohanistan wrote:

In which case you probably don't want the gas port on the bottom. Well, I suppose you don't have to, but the gas port has to line up -- or probably should -- with the bolt carrier which is mechanically fixed to the piston (as opposed to short stroke where it isn't, and direct impingement where there's no piston at all.) I think, anyway. Machine guns like the FN MAG and the M60 don't seem to, though, which is kinda confusing. I think it's because on machineguns which are belt fed/box fed you can have the bolt carrier below the bolt, which you can't have on automatic rifles.

I'll add that to the to-do list for the revisit.
groovy GROOVY grovey govey govy gov go grooovy
Deviant Art

Voerdeland
Senator

Founded: Sep 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Voerdeland » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:59 am

SVT-40
Last edited by Voerdeland on Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:59 am

edit nvm
Last edited by Questers on Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Restore the Crown

Imperial isa
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 08, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Imperial isa » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:02 am

Wolohanistan wrote:

DAM IT my post didn't work
Last edited by Imperial isa on Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Romeo Foxtrot, Shall we Dance...
We’re on an express elevator to hell – going down!

Taranys
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Taranys » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:06 am

We managed to get a hold of most of the XM8 data (technical stuff mainly) prior to declaring autonomy and ended up producing our own line based off that. The firearm itself currently fires 5.56x45mm NATO as originally intended, but since we're in no position to produce more gunpowder, we're working on an alternate propellant to use in the ammunition (we may even ditch conventional ammo entirely in favor of a coilgun system, but making such a rifle an automatic weapon, using the same frame, etc. could be a massive R&D headache, so that's a last resort).

While the picture below shows one variant, we did develop all the different modules for the XM8 and, as such, use all it's intended variants. The flexibility lended by it's modular design lets us get away with it being the only issued rifle (it'd help to have specialized rifles for certain things, but due to the events surrounding our nation's founding we needed to pick one good rifle and go).

OOC: The pic is for those that didn't catch on earlier in the thread that someone else is using the XM8 model as well ;)

Keeial
Attaché

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keeial » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:51 am

The p90

Mikedor
Minister

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mikedor » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:07 am

Keeial wrote:The p90

Don't tell me, your special forces are all 10th level prestige
Welcome to 1938.

I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult. But the age of chivalry is gone. That of sophisters, economists, and calculators has succeeded; and the glory of Europe is extinguished for ever.

Taranys
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Taranys » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:11 am

Mikedor wrote:
Keeial wrote:The p90

Don't tell me, your special forces are all 10th level prestige

XD

Australien
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Australien » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:47 am

I think I need a new sniper rifle for my nation, any suggestions for what I should base it off? (And I swear to god, the first person to mention the f***ing '50 cal' will be murdered)
My Political Compass:
http://www.politicalcompass.org/printablegraph?ec=-2.12&soc=-1.95

The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic -Joseph Stalin

Ramsetia
Minister

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ramsetia » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:52 am

Australien wrote:I think I need a new sniper rifle for my nation, any suggestions for what I should base it off? (And I swear to god, the first person to mention the f***ing '50 cal' will be murdered)

The L96A1 or Steyr scout might be a good idea for a dedicated sniper rifle. Since your nation seems to be based off of Australia, the L96 would probably be more accurate to source material, matched up with the appropriate anti-materiel weapon.
Last edited by Ramsetia on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our national Embassy Programme: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30197
Our Standard Factbook: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30375&start=0
Our FT-specific Factbook: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=47987&start=0
My photobucket: http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/houseckatna/ speak, 'friend', and enter.

I do request-art for weapons, vehicles, and soldiers. Telegramme me for further details, or if you've given me a request that I seem to have forgotten.

Mikedor
Minister

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mikedor » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:52 am

Australien wrote:I think I need a new sniper rifle for my nation, any suggestions for what I should base it off? (And I swear to god, the first person to mention the f***ing '50 cal' will be murdered)

Arctic International L96.

EDIT ^ Steyr Scout doesn't seem to have the range, going by that article.
Last edited by Mikedor on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to 1938.

I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult. But the age of chivalry is gone. That of sophisters, economists, and calculators has succeeded; and the glory of Europe is extinguished for ever.

Phonencia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Phonencia » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:01 am

Questers wrote:
Phonencia wrote:I need some help dudes. I'm don't know a whole lot about stuff like the operating system of guns, bolts, etc. etc.
so, could you help me get some stats on this one.

my main rifle is the CP-43.

it's rather short, lightweight, medium ranged, has low recoil, is bullpup and is chambered in both 5.56x45mm and 7.62x39mm rounds which are fired from 20 and 30 round box magazines. I need helping with the stats, here's the pic.

HEY! love dog! I bought a bunch of those Pysich Sygmas from you a while ago! still haven't used them though.
Ok. The bolt is what pushes the bullet from the magazine into the chamber, then it retracts (by either blowback or gas) and then a spring pushes it forwards to push another round into the chamber after the last one has been fired. That's, briefly, how automatic weapons work. However I don't think there is enough space for the bolt on your gun, because the bolt must go behind the magazine. Just look at the SA80 or the AUG. They have much more space behind the magazine for the bolt.

The other thing is that 5.56 NATO and 7.62 WP are not very similar rounds at all. I don't see why you'd want a weapon that could be chambered for either. 5.56 NATO/7.62 WP are rather different, so you should either pick one, or pick an intermediatery calibre, like 7mm British or 6.5 Grendel.

Thanks dude! I'll go with 6.5 Grendel.
now then, what if I had a smaller bolt that COULD fit, how would that affect the operation? you guys are so frickin' helpful. oh yeah, and New Nick, I wanted to tell you I am a HUGE fan of your rifles, they're so realistic, cool looking, and POWERFUL!
Unified diversity
Functioning as one body
Every part encouraged by the other
No one independent of another
Irreplaceable
Indispensable
You're incredible
Incredible...

Ramsetia
Minister

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ramsetia » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:06 am

Mikedor wrote:

Arctic International L96.

EDIT ^ Steyr Scout doesn't seem to have the range, going by that article.

It should still be effective for urban use, but there are also other Steyr rifles linked from that article which may be better suited to long-range interdiction
Our national Embassy Programme: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30197
Our Standard Factbook: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30375&start=0
Our FT-specific Factbook: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=47987&start=0
My photobucket: http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/houseckatna/ speak, 'friend', and enter.

I do request-art for weapons, vehicles, and soldiers. Telegramme me for further details, or if you've given me a request that I seem to have forgotten.

Satirius
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Satirius » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:16 pm

Taranys wrote:We managed to get a hold of most of the XM8 data (technical stuff mainly) prior to declaring autonomy and ended up producing our own line based off that. The firearm itself currently fires 5.56x45mm NATO as originally intended, but since we're in no position to produce more gunpowder, we're working on an alternate propellant to use in the ammunition (we may even ditch conventional ammo entirely in favor of a coilgun system, but making such a rifle an automatic weapon, using the same frame, etc. could be a massive R&D headache, so that's a last resort).

While the picture below shows one variant, we did develop all the different modules for the XM8 and, as such, use all it's intended variants. The flexibility lended by it's modular design lets us get away with it being the only issued rifle (it'd help to have specialized rifles for certain things, but due to the events surrounding our nation's founding we needed to pick one good rifle and go).

OOC: The pic is for those that didn't catch on earlier in the thread that someone else is using the XM8 model as well ;)

Tbqh the XM8 is just a G36 with rounded corners, but it doesn't make you any less of a person for using it because the guts of it work just fine. You'd still want higher-caliber rifles/rebores for special operations and marksmen that can drop someone in a single hit, unless you subscribe to the thinking behind the 7x46mm and use it or an equivalent.

Gunpowder is actually p. cheap nowadays though, so lack of powder in your nation shouldn't be a concern at all. If you still want alternate propellants, look into the G11 or the LSAT, or the VEC-91 for caseless lulz.

My R-35

Do eet D:<
ODECON | Pact of the Bros | Your Typical International Incidents Alliance
Satirius on WS, note this is for better RPers than you

Franberry - Sharfghotten - Rosbaningrad - Tyrandis - Jeuna
Unjustly Deleted by Unjust Tyranny, and I Don't Think I Need to Mention What I Mean by Tyranny

Senestrum
Senator

Founded: Sep 15, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Senestrum » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:22 pm

Because it's not a sniper rifle if you aren't rocking 20mm autocannon rounds.
Need help with lineart or technical drawings? Want comments and critique? Or do you just want to show off?
If so, join Lineartinc today, Nationstates' only lineart community!
We welcome people of any skill level, from first-timers to veteran artists.

Brogavia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Brogavia » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:28 pm

Playing NS since Jan of 2006

1010102, Unjustly Deleted

Agent of the Timegate, if you expose me I'll kill you

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:38 pm

Try the PSG1.
Restore the Crown

Idaho Conservatives
Minister

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Idaho Conservatives » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:08 pm

Dragunovs are also excellent sniper rifles.
"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way" --General George S. Patton

If You're A Fellow Ham, TG me!!!
KF7LCE

Kivigrad
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kivigrad » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:20 pm

I could make one for you, Kivigrad Defense Technologies (my storefront, I've just yet to make a thread) is always taking new orders, or you can use what my military uses.

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/7971/mk3lrws.jpg

Weight: 14.3 lb
Length: 48.4 in
Barrel Length: 28 in

Caliber: .338 Lapua Magnum (8.6x70mm)
Operation: Bolt Action
Muzzle Velocity: 3450 ft/s
Effective Range: 1800 yards
Feed System: 5 round detachable box magazine
Sights: 4-12z Leopold scope mounted on a picatinny rail, other optics can be mounted instead.

Idaho Conservatives wrote:Dragunovs are also excellent sniper rifles.

The dragunov is more of a designated marksman rifle than an actual dedicated long range "sniper" rifle.
Last edited by Kivigrad on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my storefront! Kivigrad Defense Technologies.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Logasiri
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Logasiri » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:31 pm

Kivigrad wrote:http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/7971/mk3lrws.jpg

Sights: 4-12z Leopold scope mounted on a picatinny rail, other optics can be mounted instead.

That is a great job...
Now under new player Management

The Western Reaches wrote:
Kalasparata wrote:Got a problem with over crowding jails? No problem, we'll take the prisoners, for $100 each!

I'd send my entire military to you, but I think that's called invasion...
Imperial Domtopia wrote:Here's a joke for you: you're being shipped to the gulag. Har-dee-fucking-har. Who's laughing now?
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:The rivalry between tits and ass has reached new heights! :eek:

Kivigrad
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kivigrad » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:41 pm

Logasiri wrote:

That is a great job...

With the ellipsis I can't tell if you're being sincere or sarcastic, damn the interwebs! I'm going to assume the former, thank you.
Check out my storefront! Kivigrad Defense Technologies.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Logasiri
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Logasiri » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:57 pm

Kivigrad wrote:
Logasiri wrote:

That is a great job...

With the ellipsis I can't tell if you're being sincere or sarcastic, damn the interwebs! I'm going to assume the former, thank you.

:D I was being sincere.
Now under new player Management

The Western Reaches wrote:
Kalasparata wrote:Got a problem with over crowding jails? No problem, we'll take the prisoners, for $100 each!

I'd send my entire military to you, but I think that's called invasion...
Imperial Domtopia wrote:Here's a joke for you: you're being shipped to the gulag. Har-dee-fucking-har. Who's laughing now?
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:The rivalry between tits and ass has reached new heights! :eek:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information