NATION

PASSWORD

NS Military Worldbuilding Thread No. 12

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 09, 2005
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:36 pm

Triplebaconation wrote:UAE aircraft are almost certainly better maintained than their US or European counterparts.

If you judge an air force's competence because they bombed the wrong thing once...well...I've got bad news for you.

maybe they should kill the bottom 10% of pilots

Nah, make them transport-pilots, worst case then is they'll land at the wrong airport then.

If they fail to land, well... let's just say that problem solves itself, then.
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Factbook and general referance thread.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)
Due to population-cuts, military-size currently being revised

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Blackhelm Confederacy wrote:If there was only a "like" button for NS posts....

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 03, 2007
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:37 pm

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:Well, unless you're either Hurty or GWO... or in enemy territory and have orders to kill civs and you're into those sorts of conflicts.

Someone found out the hard way why it's a bad idea to reenact the "No Russian" scene from CoD when there was a Hurti mechanized platoon chilling on the tarmac of that same airport awaiting their lift to the next op.

Even then, you have a very real possibility of a net gain of hostile forces by doing that.

Re: The UAE

The UAE's military are largely there for the status. UAE's modern culture generally consists of flaunting your "native Emirati" paycheck (literally) and having imported labor from India and Pakistan do everything that isn't considered prestigious. They have western gear not because they intend to ever actually do much with it, but because it is a symbol of wealth.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, flexes harder than oil rich Emiratis.

Triplebaconation wrote:UAE aircraft are almost certainly better maintained than their US or European counterparts.

you made me choke on my baked potato. My squadron while I was in (the least funded branch, no less) had a 90% up rate with airframes from the 70's (EA-6B) while doing daily flight ops. The US averages more training flight hours (not simulations) than pretty much anyone else, too.
United States Marine Corps Non-Commissioned Officer turned Private Military Contractor
Basque American
NS's only post-apoc, neo-western, cassette-punk, conspiracy-laden, pseudo-mystic Fascist UN-clone utopia
Peace sells, but who's buying? | Right is the new punk
A Better Class of Fascist
Got Discord? Add me at griff1337
Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 8.13
Amerikians: That sir, is one Epic Tank.
Altamirus: Behold the fascist God of War.
Aelosia: Shiiiiit, you are hot. More pics, I demand.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:37 pm

Yes, much like Saudi Arabia, all those petrostates hire well paid veteran maintainers for huge bucks instead of poorly paid conscripts or teenagers with no experience like Germany or America do.

The US manages about 100-120 flight hours per pilot (certain squadrons are allocated more during a few months before deployment, but this system is highly throughput limited) roughly, which is sufficient for extremely basic navigation and general flight training, and wholly inadequate to sustain a combat pilot. The RAF is probably the best maintained and best trained Air Force in all NATO and it's not that great because it suffers from the same issue as Western ones: all its veteran maintainers are sucked away to Saudi Arabia or UAE by offers of fat petrodollar paychecks.

In the 90s you could consider the Saudi Air Force to be RAF c. 1985, much like how the French Legion Etranger was a British-Polish parachute regiment.
Last edited by Gallia- on Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:41 pm

Gallia- wrote:Yes, much like Saudi Arabia, all those petrostates hire well paid veteran maintainers for huge bucks instead of poorly paid conscripts or teenagers with no experience like Germany or America do.

Yep, and once those dollars dry up and the contract expires, or heaven forbid, foreign relations break down... that fleet is S-outta-L in terms of flight-readiness.

Hence why literally everything is starting to crash, literally.

The Thrush T-660 Archangel is the pinnacle of maintainability and yet that one suffered a major failure less than a year into being fielded because it was so simple the folks at Thrush didn't bother offering maintnance-crews.
-Its also because Blackwater Worldwide kinda ended up going belly-up after sealing that deal.
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:45 pm

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:
Gallia- wrote:Yes, much like Saudi Arabia, all those petrostates hire well paid veteran maintainers for huge bucks instead of poorly paid conscripts or teenagers with no experience like Germany or America do.

Yep, and once those dollars dry up

They haven't in the past 30 years or so they've been doing it.

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:Hence why literally everything is starting to crash, literally.

The USAF has crashed more aircraft per sortie on average than something like Jordan or the UAE honestly, but even besides that the USAF probably hasn't crashed as much because they literally can't fly their aircraft. Which is worse than Jordan or the UAE can say, by far, because at least their air forces aren't grounded semi-permanently due to awful maintenance or whatever lmfao.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:45 pm

The US manages about 100-120 flight hours per pilot (certain squadrons are allocated more during a few months before deployment, but this system is highly throughput limited) roughly, which is sufficient for extremely basic navigation and general flight training, and wholly inadequate to sustain a combat pilot. The RAF is probably the best maintained and best trained Air Force in all NATO and it's not that great because it suffers from the same issue as Western ones: all its veteran maintainers are sucked away to Saudi Arabia or UAE by offers of fat petrodollar paychecks.

In the 90s you could consider the Saudi Air Force to be RAF c. 1985, much like how the French Legion Etranger was a British-Polish parachute regiment.

I mean if you are buying American gear, being trained by the Americans, and paying Americans to fix your equipment, you can't really say that your air force is all that great. Rather your Air force is a diversity hire of the US.

See previous statement, if you are willing/able to outsource a lot of the work you can get good pilots but it isn't really a winning strategy for your entire national military and requires you not piss of the guy giving you all the help.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:47 pm

Gallia- wrote:
Hurtful Thoughts wrote:Yep, and once those dollars dry up

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:Hence why literally everything is starting to crash, literally.

The USAF has crashed more aircraft per sortie on average than something like Jordan or the UAE honestly, but even besides that the USAF probably hasn't crashed as much because they literally can't fly their aircraft. Which is worse than Jordan or the UAE can say, by far, because at least their air forces aren't grounded semi-permanently due to awful maintenance or whatever lmfao.

Fatalities per sortie, though...

Like, when something goes wrong in the air, the pilot is in for a bad time.
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:47 pm

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:
Gallia- wrote:

Fatalities per sortie, though...

Yeah good pilots don't like to abandon their aircraft.

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:48 pm

Gallia- wrote:The US manages about 100-120 flight hours per pilot (certain squadrons are allocated more during a few months before deployment, but this system is highly throughput limited) roughly, which is sufficient for extremely basic navigation and general flight training, and wholly inadequate to sustain a combat pilot. The RAF is probably the best maintained and best trained Air Force in all NATO and it's not that great because it suffers from the same issue as Western ones: all its veteran maintainers are sucked away to Saudi Arabia or UAE by offers of fat petrodollar paychecks.

I dunno, at the Q we'd have at least two birds going out for 8-12 hours on the daily when we were stateside, more whenever we did WTI/Red Flag. Can't speak about the Air Force, nor for the Navy although I know NATOPS applies to both MC and Navy. F-35s are a train wreck regardless of branch tho.
United States Marine Corps Non-Commissioned Officer turned Private Military Contractor
Basque American
NS's only post-apoc, neo-western, cassette-punk, conspiracy-laden, pseudo-mystic Fascist UN-clone utopia

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:51 pm

The Grand World Order wrote:
Gallia- wrote:The US manages about 100-120 flight hours per pilot (certain squadrons are allocated more during a few months before deployment, but this system is highly throughput limited) roughly, which is sufficient for extremely basic navigation and general flight training, and wholly inadequate to sustain a combat pilot. The RAF is probably the best maintained and best trained Air Force in all NATO and it's not that great because it suffers from the same issue as Western ones: all its veteran maintainers are sucked away to Saudi Arabia or UAE by offers of fat petrodollar paychecks.

I dunno, at the Q we'd have at least two birds going out for 8-12 hours on the daily when we were stateside, more whenever we did WTI/Red Flag. Can't speak about the Air Force, nor for the Navy although I know NATOPS applies to both MC and Navy. F-35s are a train wreck regardless of branch tho.

Plus number of sorties doesn't always translate to a number of flight hours.

You can rack up a lot of sorties in 90 minutes if your bomb-target is 20 km from the airfield instead of 2000 km.

Which also gives even less excuse for any of their low-mileage planes crashing if your situation is a flight-crew's wet-dream of being able to inspect a bird every flight hour on the flight hour.
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:55 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:

I mean if you are buying American gear, being trained by the Americans, and paying Americans to fix your equipment, you can't really say that your air force is all that great. Rather your Air force is a diversity hire of the US.

See previous statement, if you are willing/able to outsource a lot of the work you can get good pilots but it isn't really a winning strategy for your entire national military and requires you not piss of the guy giving you all the help.

The "diversity hire of the US" is exactly why the Arabian air forces are so good, at least in peacetime. They're sapping the same resource pool that the USAF, US Marines, etc. need to function: capable maintainers and good NCO cadres. What few cadres and good maintenance units the US DOD has inevitably get put into special readiness units that can't be easily expanded in wartime or allow for the whole military practice for it. Instead you sort of have a semi-stable continuum of an air force that can't be too rapidly scaled up relative to overall size. It's quite sad the USA can't compete with the UAE or American Airlines in paychecks for retention of good personnel. Oof ouch my pilots and ground crews quality.

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:00 pm

Gallia- wrote:
The "diversity hire of the US" is exactly why the Arabian air forces are so good, at least in peacetime. They're sapping the same resource pool that the USAF, US Marines, etc. need to function: capable maintainers and good NCO cadres. What few cadres and good maintenance units the US DOD has inevitably get put into special readiness units that can't be easily expanded in wartime or allow for the whole military practice for it. Instead you sort of have a semi-stable continuum of an air force that can't be too rapidly scaled up relative to overall size. It's quite sad the USA can't compete with the UAE or American Airlines in paychecks for retention of good personnel. Oof ouch my pilots and ground crews quality.

Same issue as most skilled positions, really. I'm a SIGINT operator with SOF experience that's now a contractor getting paid more than my former CO. The military can't pay me nearly as much, send me to actually do the job I joined to do, refrain from treating me like shit for five minutes, or trust me with a toaster in my condemned living quarters, so why stay in?
Last edited by The Grand World Order on Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basque American

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:00 pm

Gallia- wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:

Still, my point stands that UAE just lost 10% of its air combat arm over the past 2 years due solely to maintenance issues.

To be on that level of attrition USAF would need to start crashing 500 F-16s per year, every year.
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:04 pm

It doesn't really require a mega think to realize that an air force which has about a half to two thirds of its aircraft available at one point is worse maintained than one that has about four fifths or five sixths of its aircraft available. The USAF is just really big so I guess it masks its crippling maintenance and manpower problems with sheer size. The UAE has like 250 planes and maybe 180-200 of those are available at any point. The USAF has like 3,000 planes with maybe 1,800-2,100 available at any one point, more or less. It's a couple percentage points off but the UAE probably flies more per pilot since they can afford that, while the USAF can barely afford to fund its pensions I guess.

Obviously the UAE one is better maintained but it's irrelevant because the USAF can just stomp it dead so it doesn't matter much. This changes as air forces get closer in absolute size tho.

It's more telling the USAF is considering abandoning Predator UAS entirely because it lost like 4 to Houthis in some pickup trucks, while I don't think the UAE getting a few helicopters shot down by random machine guns or pickup truck MANPADS is thinking helicopters are useless. Neither is the US Army. Maybe because they know how to maintain them. Maybe the US Army can buy the USAF's Predators and turn them into MTI monitors or something, but I doubt it will be allowed.
Last edited by Gallia- on Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:08 pm

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:To be on that level of attrition USAF would need to start crashing 500 F-16s per year, every year.

return of the Carolina Lawn Dart
Basque American

Triplebaconation
Senator

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:11 pm

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:Still, my point stands that UAE just lost 10% of its air combat arm over the past 2 years due solely to maintenance issues.

To be on that level of attrition USAF would need to start crashing 500 F-16s per year, every year.

I think I see what the problem is.
Proverbs 23:9.

Things are a bit larger than you appear to think, my friend.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:13 pm

It takes 50,000 M72 LAWs to kill a single T-55 and 3,000,000 rounds of ammunition needs to be expended in a firefight to kill a single Afghan insurgent.
Last edited by Gallia- on Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Manticoran Empire
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 21, 2015
Anarchy

Postby The Manticoran Empire » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:00 pm

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:
Gallia- wrote:

Still, my point stands that UAE just lost 10% of its air combat arm over the past 2 years due solely to maintenance issues.

Considering that there are only 1,078 F-16s in the US Air Force, that's rather hyperbolic.
For: Israel, Palestine, Kurdistan, American Nationalism, American citizens of Guam, American Samoa, Puerto Rico, Northern Mariana Islands, and US Virgin Islands receiving a congressional vote and being allowed to vote for president, military, veterans before refugees, guns, pro choice, LGBT marriage, plural marriage, US Constitution, World Peace, Global Unity.

Against: Communism, Socialism, Fascism, Liberalism, Theocracy, Corporatocracy.

By the Blood of our Fathers, By the Blood of our Sons, we fight, we die, we sacrifice for the Good of the Empire.

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:20 pm

The Manticoran Empire wrote:
Hurtful Thoughts wrote:Still, my point stands that UAE just lost 10% of its air combat arm over the past 2 years due solely to maintenance issues.

Considering that there are only 1,078 F-16s in the US Air Force, that's rather hyperbolic.

A bit, but that's largely because I'm just lumping all losses across all frames into a single airframe.

Even then it's a little excessive, although losing between 100 and 200 F-16s per year would be quite a loss.

A similar hyperbole would've been losing 100 A-10s per year due to lack of repairs.
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)

Triplebaconation
Senator

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:50 pm

who needs real numbers when you have hyperbole

A few aircraft lost in a combat zone, some with disputed causes - nowhere near 10% of the UAEAF's combat strength.

"Technical fault" can mean anything from someone forgot to bolt the engine in to a sensor stopped unexpectedly to nobody wants the public to think the Sheikh's cousin's nephew martyred himself flying directly into the ground.

A minority of equipment failures are due to maintenance problems - this is probably why the UAE is losing fairly new aircraft when you'd expect systemic maintenance issues to hit the oldest planes the hardest.

I think a lot of people are misled by commercial aviation statistics into thinking flying is safer than it really is.
Last edited by Triplebaconation on Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 23:9.

Things are a bit larger than you appear to think, my friend.

Cossack Peoples
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 11, 2019
Corporate Police State

Postby Cossack Peoples » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:52 pm

How are SLCMs guided to their targets (ship-borne, for example)? Of course, I know about their inertial guidance system and terminal guidance but what I am asking is how does the submarine cue the missile onto its target while submerged, then update it via data link?

"You give a monkey a stick, inevitably he’ll beat another monkey to death with it."
— Sadavir Errinwright, Expanse S2E12
"Вечнасць для Czaslyudiya!"
Federal Republic of Czaslyudian Peoples

A corrupt, Post-Soviet anocracy whose de facto third branch of government is an arms manufacturer.
Sponsoring this signature
We're also the Czaslyudian Peoples now. Don't ask.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:18 am

Cossack Peoples wrote:How are SLCMs guided to their targets (ship-borne, for example)? Of course, I know about their inertial guidance system and terminal guidance but what I am asking is how does the submarine cue the missile onto its target while submerged, then update it via data link?

SLCMs are typically fire and forget. The sub knows where it is and where the target is. It tells the missile this and the missile takes it from there. There's no need for the sub to establish a data link with the missile post launch. There's also not really anything the sub could tell the missile after launch. The sub has no direct means of tracking the missile and the sub likely lacks any new information on the target to give the missile that would be of any use. The sub can't really tell the missile anything the missile couldn't figure out on its own once it's been launched.

If you do throw a data link onto a sub launched missile that link is most likely going to be used to talk to something other than the sub in order to get its mid-course updates.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

New Vihenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 03, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby New Vihenia » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:41 am

Cossack Peoples wrote:How are SLCMs guided to their targets (ship-borne, for example)? Of course, I know about their inertial guidance system and terminal guidance but what I am asking is how does the submarine cue the missile onto its target while submerged, then update it via data link?

If you live in mid- 50's to late 60's. You will have the submarine to surface, launch and do this

We make planes,ships,missiles,helicopters, radars and mecha musume
Deviantart|M.A.R.S|My-Ebooks

Big Picture of Service

Champagne Socialist Sharifistan
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Champagne Socialist Sharifistan » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:12 am

Is paying AA artillery officers more than most other types of officers a bad idea?
A nation which partly represents my views.
Founder of the Traditionalist Military Alliance:https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=493756
The Turkish War of Independence and everything before along with 2014 modernisation are set in stone.
Everything else is subject to change

Black Lives Matter!

The Dolphin Isles
Spokesperson

Founded: May 11, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Dolphin Isles » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:48 am

Why do they get to have fun with the daka and get better pay?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information