NATION

PASSWORD

Your Nation's Air Force [MKI]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Wikipedia and Universe
Senator

Founded: Jul 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikipedia and Universe » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:37 pm

Cartavesqa wrote:
Licana wrote:He was talking about the use of satellites as a reconnaissance tool...not as a way to track or destroy an aircraft. Also, a good, modern SAM will be faster than a SR-71.

A SR-71 can travel at nearly Mach-3. And i know what you meant about the satellites.

Yes, and the RIM-162 ESSM (a modern ship-launched SAM) can travel at Mach 4+.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they get pissed, they'll be a mile away- and barefoot.
Proud Member and Co-Founder of the MDISC Alliance
An ODECON Naval Analyst wrote:Superior tactics and training can in fact triumph over force of numbers and missile spam.
Bottle wrote:This is not rocket surgery, folks.
Senestrum wrote:This is relativity, the theory that takes everything we know about the world, bends it over, and fucks it to death with a spiked dildo.

Licana
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:39 pm

Wikipedia and Universe wrote:
Cartavesqa wrote:A SR-71 can travel at nearly Mach-3. And i know what you meant about the satellites.

Yes, and the RIM-162 ESSM (a modern ship-launched SAM) can travel at Mach 4+.

And the S-400 is claimed to travel at MACH 12
>American education
[19:21] <Lubyak> I want to go and wank all over him.
Puzikas wrote:Gulf War One was like Slapstick: The War. Except, you know, up to 40,000 people died.

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Never in all my years have I seen someone actually quote the dictionary and still get the definition wrong.

Husseinarti wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Do lets. I really want to hear another explanation about dirty vaginas keeping women out of combat, despite the vagina being a self-cleaning organ.

So was the M-16.

Senestrum wrote:How are KEPs cowardly? Surely the "real man" would in fact be the one firing giant rods of nuclear waste at speeds best described as "hilarious".

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:42 pm

Rockets go fast. Hardly news.

But that does not have the implications you think it does. The advantage gained from the SR-71's speed and altitude is not about outrunning rockets.
RIP
Your Nation's Main Battle Tank (No Mechs)
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
DEUS STATUS: ( X ) VULT ( ) NOT VULT
Leopard 2 IRL
Imperializt Russia wrote:kyiv rn irl

Anemos wrote:<Anemos> thx Kyiv D:
<Anemos> you are the eternal onii-san

Europe, a cool region for cool people. Click to find out more.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:44 pm

The Kievan People wrote:Rockets go fast. Hardly news.

But that does not have the implications you think it does. The advantage gained from the SR-71's speed and altitude is not about outrunning rockets.

But you can stick better cameras on a sattellite and not have to refuel and maintain it after its up there. Just moniter its systems and recieve the data. Also its much harder to take out.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Rusikstan
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Rusikstan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:48 pm

The Corparation wrote:

But you can stick better cameras on a sattellite and not have to refuel and maintain it after its up there. Just moniter its systems and recieve the data. Also its much harder to take out.

The rest whatever idk idc. Not so sure about the bolded part though. A satellite isn't some unreachable god object in space. Its fairly delicate comparatively and can be reached at taken out of commission in relativly simple ways.
Senestrum wrote:Russians took the maximum allowable missile performances from the ABM treaty as design goals.

lolz ensued

Cyrupe wrote:Canadians are not good at electronics, hence why you never see them at the top of ANYTHING in the technology industry. Bowling ball track pads are the perfect example of this.

Wamitoria wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:What is the likelihood of a tactical nuke being used in this situation?

Well, the OP was looking for advice for an IC war in II, so I suppose that they would be used almost immediately.
Demonym: Rusich for singular and plural uses.

Transnapastain
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Transnapastain » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:51 pm

Huge fan of the SR-71 here.

However, ...any advantages you are going to mention...are a moot point when the thing is downed by missile.

As much as I don't want to believe it, or accept it, I'm positive that the SR-71, even traveling at Mach 3+, even at 85,000ft (cite me, thats its height isn't it?) is no longer invulnerable to surface to air missiles. It has stealth characteristics, but none of them do it a damn bit of good, as, during the Cold War, it was reportedly spotted by civilian ATC radar in India during flyovers of the USSR (Source: Wikipedia). They even laced the fuel with cesium, or some such, to reduce its thermal plume...didn't help, that bastard is fat and hot, and, sadly, outdated.

However, I'm going to refute that the role of a recon plane has gone by the wayside.

Satellites are amazing...they can give you a birds eye view of a given location from the relative safety of space.....and they can only be in so many places. Also, NS seems to fail to realize just how hard it can be to locate something like a fleet in the ocean. Thats a lot of blank territory to cover. Recon planes can be useful when Intel is needed, right the hell now, and no orbital assets have been tasked, or are currently being redeployed. You can only watch so much, and even I, with my MASSIVE SATINT network, routinely miss things. SATINT is awesome at strategic recon, but...the role of tactical recon is not diminished.

Now...I don't think the SR-71 is the way to do it...I'd think that stealth aircraft, like a recon version of the B-2 (Good god the price tag!) or, better, small, stealthy UAV's, is the way to obtain tactical recon.

That being said...yeah, we still deploy SR-71's in a recon role...cause we're old school, and love tradition...and one day I'm going to send those SR-71's to recon the wrong nation...and its going to get blasted, and, as I write the post of the Blackbird going down in flames, I will shed tears. :)
Last edited by Transnapastain on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Transnapastain
Retired Moderator

Postby Transnapastain » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:52 pm

The Corparation wrote:

Things in space do require maintenance, or replacement. Ask NASA how much it costs to fix that damned Hubble :P

Rusikstan wrote:
The Corparation wrote:But you can stick better cameras on a sattellite and not have to refuel and maintain it after its up there. Just moniter its systems and recieve the data. Also its much harder to take out.

The rest whatever idk idc. Not so sure about the bolded part though. A satellite isn't some unreachable god object in space. Its fairly delicate comparatively and can be reached at taken out of commission in relativly simple ways.

ASAT missiles, they DO work...more practical, other satellites, rumor had it the Russians had deployed hunter-killer satellites. I'm SURE it can be done with wank, er, NS tech :)
Last edited by Transnapastain on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:54 pm

Transnapastain wrote:
The Corparation wrote:But you can stick better cameras on a sattellite and not have to refuel and maintain it after its up there. Just moniter its systems and recieve the data. Also its much harder to take out.

Things in space do require maintenance, or replacement. Ask NASA how much it costs to fix that damned Hubble :P

Hubble is completely different from a recon sattelite. Recon sattelite don't need massive mirrors grinded to the tiniest fraction of an inch to work right.
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Transnapastain
Retired Moderator

Postby Transnapastain » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:56 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Transnapastain wrote:

Hubble is completely different from a recon sattelite. Recon sattelite don't need massive mirrors grinded to the tiniest fraction of an inch to work right.

Its still going to require maintenance or replacement, brother. I'm sorry, nothing lasts for ever.

Is it LESS maintenance intensive than a recon plane? Sure is, you're dead on if you phrase it that way.
Last edited by Transnapastain on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusikstan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Rusikstan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:00 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Transnapastain wrote:

It does however require the right orbit and say being intact. This is impossible when you have a ballsistic missile being launched at you b/c if you move your done, and if your hit your done. Poof your high tech expensive satellite is now gone.

Not that I'm defending the idea of a SR-71 just saying...
Senestrum wrote:Russians took the maximum allowable missile performances from the ABM treaty as design goals.

lolz ensued

Cyrupe wrote:Canadians are not good at electronics, hence why you never see them at the top of ANYTHING in the technology industry. Bowling ball track pads are the perfect example of this.

Wamitoria wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:What is the likelihood of a tactical nuke being used in this situation?

Well, the OP was looking for advice for an IC war in II, so I suppose that they would be used almost immediately.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:01 pm

Transnapastain wrote:

Rusikstan wrote:

ASAT missiles, they DO work...more practical, other satellites, rumor had it the Russians had deployed hunter-killer satellites. I'm SURE it can be done with wank, er, NS tech :)

Actually the russians just launched a test vehicle for their anti-star wars program. But thanks to a computer glicth instead of rotating to a position to boost itself into the correct orbit, it boosted its self straight into the pacific. As it was set to launch the goverment started to kill the program by cancelling a lot of the outer space tests anyways so they didn't get a second chance to develop it. Granted ASAT missiles work but they're more expensive and harder to use then a standard sam.

Transnapastain
Retired Moderator

Postby Transnapastain » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:04 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Transnapastain wrote:

Actually the russians just launched a test vehicle for their anti-star wars program. But thanks to a computer glicth instead of rotating to a position to boost itself into the correct orbit, it boosted its self straight into the pacific. As it was set to launch the goverment started to kill the program by cancelling a lot of the outer space tests anyways so they didn't get a second chance to develop it. Granted ASAT missiles work but they're more expensive and harder to use then a standard sam.

It is definitely technology that, due to lack of need and budget cuts, hasn't really gotten out of its infancy. That does make it glitchy, and expensive, for sure. I'm sure, however, that the bugs can be worked out, or worked around, for viable NS use.

Rusikstan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Rusikstan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:06 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Transnapastain wrote:

Use RIM-161 Standard Missile 3 or similar like US used to down that one satellite. OR use an Air-launched missile from a high up plane to launch an ASAT-esque missile.

lolz ensued

Wamitoria wrote:

Transnapastain
Retired Moderator

Postby Transnapastain » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:09 pm

Altamirus wrote:
Transnapastain wrote:

However, ...any advantages you are going to mention...are a moot point when the thing is downed by missile.

As much as I don't want to believe it, or accept it, I'm positive that the SR-71, even traveling at Mach 3+, even at 85,000ft (cite me, thats its height isn't it?) is no longer invulnerable to surface to air missiles. It has stealth characteristics, but none of them do it a damn bit of good, as, during the Cold War, it was reportedly spotted by civilian ATC radar in India during flyovers of the USSR (Source: Wikipedia). They even laced the fuel with cesium, or some such, to reduce its thermal plume...didn't help, that bastard is fat and hot, and, sadly, outdated.

However, I'm going to refute that the role of a recon plane has gone by the wayside.

Satellites are amazing...they can give you a birds eye view of a given location from the relative safety of space.....and they can only be in so many places. Also, NS seems to fail to realize just how hard it can be to locate something like a fleet in the ocean. Thats a lot of blank territory to cover. Recon planes can be useful when Intel is needed, right the hell now, and no orbital assets have been tasked, or are currently being redeployed. You can only watch so much, and even I, with my MASSIVE SATINT network, routinely miss things. SATINT is awesome at strategic recon, but...the role of tactical recon is not diminished.

Now...I don't think the SR-71 is the way to do it...I'd think that stealth aircraft, like a recon version of the B-2 (Good god the price tag!) or, better, small, stealthy UAV's, is the way to obtain tactical recon.

That being said...yeah, we still deploy SR-71's in a recon role...cause we're old school, and love tradition...and one day I'm going to send those SR-71's to recon the wrong nation...and its going to get blasted, and, as I write the post of the Blackbird going down in flames, I will shed tears. :)

IRL USAF updates aging aircraft for modern requirements all the time, why can't you do the same for the SR-71?

You do have a valid point, sir.

I made mine go faster, thats about all. I think you could dot he same thing the USAF did to add to the B-52's survivability and give it ECM ability. Thats an idea. An SR-71, at 85,000ft, going Mach 3.2+, with the ability to jam or confuse enemy radar guided missiles,, may well increase its survivability. No way to make it stealth of course, its too damn fast and hot. The hull gets up to something like 500 degrees F, and I've read the cockpit windscreen can get to 200 degrees F...they supposedly bleed heat from the cabin into the rapidly emptying fuel tanks using heat exchangers.

Not a lot you can do about heat-seekers, but a lot of craft will have trouble getting high enough to get a good missile lock with an IR guided missile. Licana, you check me on that?
Last edited by Transnapastain on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:10 pm

Altamirus wrote:
Transnapastain wrote:

IRL USAF updates aging aircraft for modern requirements all the time, why can't you do the same for the SR-71?

Because they replaced it in its strategic recon role with:
A)Spy sattelites
or
B) Auroa or black star or some other black project.

Transnapastain
Retired Moderator

Postby Transnapastain » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:11 pm

Rusikstan wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Actually the russians just launched a test vehicle for their anti-star wars program. But thanks to a computer glicth instead of rotating to a position to boost itself into the correct orbit, it boosted its self straight into the pacific. As it was set to launch the goverment started to kill the program by cancelling a lot of the outer space tests anyways so they didn't get a second chance to develop it. Granted ASAT missiles work but they're more expensive and harder to use then a standard sam.

Use RIM-161 Standard Missile 3 or similar like US used to down that one satellite. OR use an Air-launched missile from a high up plane to launch an ASAT-esque missile.

What about simply putting a satellite in space that acts as its on KE kill device. Point it at the satellite, and have it maneuver into it....I suppose that would be expensive, but ti seems effective.

The Corparation wrote:
Altamirus wrote:IRL USAF updates aging aircraft for modern requirements all the time, why can't you do the same for the SR-71?

Because they replaced it in its strategic recon role with:
A)Spy sattelites
or
B) Auroa or black star or some other black project.

....and those pesky little UAV's
Last edited by Transnapastain on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Licana
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:15 pm

Transnapastain wrote:
Altamirus wrote:IRL USAF updates aging aircraft for modern requirements all the time, why can't you do the same for the SR-71?

I made mine go faster, thats about all. I think you could dot he same thing the USAF did to add to the B-52's survivability and give it ECM ability. Thats an idea. An SR-71, at 85,000ft, going Mach 3.2+, with the ability to jam or confuse enemy radar guided missiles,, may well increase its survivability. No way to make it stealth of course, its too damn fast and hot. The hull gets up to something like 500 degrees F, and I've read the cockpit windscreen can get to 200 degrees F...they supposedly bleed heat from the cabin into the rapidly emptying fuel tanks using heat exchangers.

Not a lot you can do about heat-seekers, but a lot of craft will have trouble getting high enough to get a good missile lock with an IR guided missile. Licana, you check me on that?

I don't find the concept bad, but the stress from going MACH 3.2+ is enormous. You'll have to make sure the airframe can handle the heat without the canopy melting and the aircraft burning up. Although most aircraft would have trouble getting in range (MiG-25 and 31s could, if I remember correctly) for an IR guided missile, it's definitely far from impossible (not that you're saying it was), and if an IR guided missile is fired against such an aircraft...well, it's fucked.

My thing would be, why not make a purpose built, stealth UAV to do the same job. It wouldn't be as fast, sure, but it would also be fairly hard to detect.
>American education
Puzikas wrote:Gulf War One was like Slapstick: The War. Except, you know, up to 40,000 people died.

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Never in all my years have I seen someone actually quote the dictionary and still get the definition wrong.

Husseinarti wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Do lets. I really want to hear another explanation about dirty vaginas keeping women out of combat, despite the vagina being a self-cleaning organ.

So was the M-16.

Senestrum wrote:How are KEPs cowardly? Surely the "real man" would in fact be the one firing giant rods of nuclear waste at speeds best described as "hilarious".

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:17 pm

Licana wrote:
Transnapastain wrote:

I don't find the concept bad, but the stress from going MACH 3.2+ is enormous. You'll have to make sure the airframe can handle the heat without the canopy melting and the aircraft burning up. Although most aircraft would have trouble getting in range (MiG-25 and 31s could, if I remember correctly) for an IR guided missile, it's definitely far from impossible (not that you're saying it was), and if an IR guided missile is fired against such an aircraft...well, it's fucked.

My thing would be, why not make a purpose built, stealth UAV to do the same job. It wouldn't be as fast, sure, but it would also be fairly hard to detect.

Like say the RQ-170 Sentinal?

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:18 pm

Sensors on aircraft easily trump the ones on satellites, more payload and closer to the ground. Satellites are also among the easiest things to shoot down.

The speed advantage can be summed in these nice slides:

High Speed+Altitude reduces the effective envelope of SAM's, frustrates fighter interception and VASTLY increases the range of your own weapons. A Super SR-71 with modern ECM, air-to-ground missiles and sensors would be a formidable weapon indeed.

The only irony is that for the reconnaissance overflight mission it's both cheaper and more effective to use a stealth drone.
RIP
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
Leopard 2 IRL

Licana
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:18 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Licana wrote:I don't find the concept bad, but the stress from going MACH 3.2+ is enormous. You'll have to make sure the airframe can handle the heat without the canopy melting and the aircraft burning up. Although most aircraft would have trouble getting in range (MiG-25 and 31s could, if I remember correctly) for an IR guided missile, it's definitely far from impossible (not that you're saying it was), and if an IR guided missile is fired against such an aircraft...well, it's fucked.

Like say the RQ-170 Sentinal?

Pretty much...
>American education

Husseinarti wrote:

So was the M-16.

Rusikstan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Rusikstan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:19 pm

Transnapastain wrote:
Rusikstan wrote:

What about simply putting a satellite in space that acts as its on KE kill device. Point it at the satellite, and have it maneuver into it....I suppose that would be expensive, but ti seems effective.

It works as an idea, but I think the cost would be prohibitive. I've not compared any prices or anything as its been a non-issue until now. We'd have to look it up. Though, I want to say that the 9.5 million ship launched missile would be cheaper than the development of, construction of, and placement of a KE/Killer satellite, but again I'm not really sure.

lolz ensued

Wamitoria wrote:

Transnapastain
Retired Moderator

Postby Transnapastain » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:20 pm

Rusikstan wrote:
Transnapastain wrote:

It works as an idea, but I think the cost would be prohibitive. I've not compared any prices or anything as its been a non-issue until now. We'd have to look it up. Though, I want to say that the 9.5 million ship launched missile would be cheaper than the development of, construction of, and placement of a KE/Killer satellite, but again I'm not really sure.

Well, it might be expensive, but only the best for our enemies!

When you care to send the very best... :)

No endorse
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 27, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby No endorse » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:31 pm

The aging fighters are actually useful and still solid concepts. The A-12 (and its progeny) isn't in this day and age.

Stealth? No, it wasn't very stealth to begin with. The exhaust stream has a lolzy RCS.

Hard to find on IR? ROFL. There's supposedly a Russian IRST that can see the heat generated at the leading edge of a subsonic aircraft's wings. This thing shows up like a space shuttle.

Able to do low altitude penetration? No, the A-12 and its derivatives were tuned for a very specific operating condition. These aircraft can do their interesting speeds at high altitude, in full view of any radar you please. Note the Israel/Lebanon war; low altitude penetration is the name of the game in hiding from radar.

Electronics? Surprisingly, there's a limited number of things that really work that well at those speeds and under those thermal stresses. Remember, those antennas need to withstand the heat. And even then, what are you going to use? You can't overfly your target, so you're looking at things sideways with your cameras and such. At that point, you're no better than a Sat, in fact you're much worse.

Nothing faster will give any added benefits over Sats, the aircraft itself doesn't make sense, and slower aircraft (U-2) are still of limited use in this day and age. The game has changed, there are different needs. The aircraft is unquestionably the best ever produced for its specific role. However, how many piston engined fighters do you see nowadays?

On a side note, it's worth pointing out that many of our aging aircraft are specifically being replaced.
Last edited by No endorse on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:We had better trolls back in the day. None of this "I DEKLARZ WUR" stuff. Our trolls could troll you with a fifteen page (in MSword) document. And you couldn't fault their spelling because in-browser spellcheck didn't exist back then.

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:03 pm

The proper insulation and sensor windows needed to put advanced sensors and electronics on high speed aircraft has existed for decades. A hypersonic antenna window looks something like this:

The SR-71 had a high RCS, from the rear. Which is also by far the least useful angle for anyone trying to kill it.
RIP
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
Leopard 2 IRL

Senestrum
Senator

Founded: Sep 15, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Senestrum » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:44 pm

The Kievan People wrote:(Image)

THE POWER

(this would be the Lockheed M5 Penetrator. It's exactly what is says on the tin.)

GOD DAMN YOU

NOW I HAVE TO DO GLORIOUS LINEART OF THAT

FROM ALL ANGLES

WITH SHADING

FFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Need help with lineart or technical drawings? Want comments and critique? Or do you just want to show off?
If so, join Lineartinc today, Nationstates' only lineart community!
We welcome people of any skill level, from first-timers to veteran artists.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information