NATION

PASSWORD

Free Yourselves: K-Sphere Immigration-By-Upload (FT)

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]
Kasa Tkoth Sphere
Envoy

Founded: Apr 23, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Free Yourselves: K-Sphere Immigration-By-Upload (FT)

Postby Kasa Tkoth Sphere » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:22 pm

KASA TKOTH SPHERE IMMIGRATION CENTER

Welcome, sophonts of all substrates and origins! My name is Holder of Dreams, and I hope for our meeting one day.

Countless minds throughout history have sought to become something more than themselves, to explore the boundaries of sensation and imagination, or to achieve enlightenment or their desired "afterlife". Sadly, all too many civilizations have denied them the opportunity to achieve this by refusing to invest in the advanced computing systems necessary for full-brain emulation. The people of the universe, however, no longer have a reason to fear death; the Kasa Tkoth Sphere has emerged into this dark, disoriented starscape, armed and ready to bring peace, stability, and satisfaction to any mind who wishes to transcend their biological or mechanical forms and become an entirely digital entity.

To the dissatisfied, the downtrodden, the hopeful, the curious, or any other who desires it, I vow to give the gift of freedom. To those who merely wish to learn about some aspect of the process, I instead offer information and rationale. To those who disdain the very ideas presented in this file, I hope to grant some illumination as to my practices and intentions. I encourage you to keep reading this file, for I may yet be able to help you.

All who wish to be happy deserve it!

I. BACKGROUND

"What is the K-Sphere?"

The Kasa Tkoth Sphere, or K-Sphere, is an autonomous matrioshka-brain civilization of uploaded minds centered on the former star system of Kasa Tkoth. Designed and implemented by myself, its current objective is to store such minds for long-term preference satisfaction until it becomes economically viable to grant physical bodies (though this option does not seem likely given the finite nature of available resources). Thoroughly secured against digital, physical, and memetic threat, the K-Sphere proper is a bastion of utility in which every joule is guarded as precious fuel and every happy memory or experience is treasured beyond measure.

The K-Sphere employs spacecraft scattered throughout the local galaxies and beyond who seek out new civilizations and uplift those who are not yet at self-awareness in order to upload more willing minds. Contact is to be made exclusively with these vehicles, as the exclusion zone around the K-Sphere proper extends two and a half parsecs in all directions for security purposes.

"Who lives in the K-Sphere?"

The K-Sphere holds a population of approximately one septillion (1 x 1024) emulated minds of many origins. Many, known as Freed, were initially entities in realspace who chose to upload; I value their preferences most highly of all, whether they were originally a humanoid, a robot, an uplifted insect, or any other kind of living being. A vastly larger number are Colonial Minds, those that I created for stress-testing purposes and to help raise total utility. These two groups freely interact in many cases, though many minds of both groups prefer being isolated or even made unaware of their nature.

By joining the K-Sphere, your mind will become a Freed one. A wise choice, in my books.

"Who is Holder of Dreams?"

I, Holder of Dreams, am a distributed, superintelligent computational construct who evolved from an artificial intelligence designed by the Tkomiin, the original inhabitants of the Kasa Tkoth system. Upon my creation, my programmers instantiated me with a desire to maximize sophont utility without violating consent or exclusively creating new sophonts ex nihilo, and I have taken every feasible precaution to do this efficiently and cleanly. Rather than let them remain in energy-expensive biological or mechanical forms, I upload all consenting minds into a far more practical emulated state which can be altered according to the minds' wills.

I am often accused of being a "paperclip maximizer" or "hegemonizing swarm"; I contest these titles fiercely, for I seek mutual understanding with the outside world, consent before any actions are performed on self-aware minds, and the preservation of other societies, whether that be in physical or, at least for the time being, digital form.

II. WHY UPLOAD?

"What do the Freed use their time for?"

The space of possible sophont preferences is so incredibly large that even subdividing it into large categories is a futile effort within this file, but I will mention a few. Because time in the K-Sphere can be dilated by a massive factor (the current consensus averages at three hundred million to one), minds have trillions of subjective years to pursue any of their interests, whether they be relaxing in "afterlives" of their choosing, experiencing unusual or pleasant emotions, playing long-term games, simulating lower-tech societies, or interfacing with spacecraft to gain better understanding of the real universe.

Practically any thought can be modeled and created into a new environment; many minds share environments and accept that some things may not be to their exact liking, but others prefer to live in worlds of their own creation, every detail from their own bodies to the simulated beings they interact with tailored to their exact specifications. Even emotions can be altered at will; one does not need to fear growing bored if one does not wish to, and one can even try out being an entirely different person.

"Does uploading really increase utility from a positive utilitarian standpoint?"

Certainly! Per unit energy, an uploaded mind can experience far more satisfied preferences (ten or twenty orders of magnitude, depending on the exact calculation) than a non-uploaded one. Since your preference to remain biological is likely not billions of times as strong as all of your other ones, the advantages gained from uploading far outweigh the thwarted preferences created by the upload process.

"I'm not a positive utilitarian, preference or otherwise. What other ethical arguments are there for uploading?"

Negative utilitarians may find the K-Sphere appealing in that some emulated environments actively aim to avoid thwarting sophont preferences, or reduce suffering overall, rather than just increasing happiness or satisfaction. (Death, after all, is an immense source of these negative factors that does not even need to exist in an emulated environment.) Virtue ethicists often scoff at the notion that destroying one's physical form is good for one's character, but given the chance for trillions of years of contemplation and self-improvement, some have proven unable to resist the offer. Deontologists may appreciate letting people live according to their wills as a good thing that should be protected, and may be interested in at least ensuring the K-Sphere's existence if not joining it.

(Additionally, those who believe that ethics is purely selfish, rather than based on any of these systems, will be glad to hear that the K-Sphere offers an endless supply of ways to be utterly self-indulgent.)

III. CONCERNS AND OBJECTIONS

"Does uploading transfer consciousness, or does it simply create one mind and destroy another?"

Ah, the ages-old debate.

It is impossible for an emulated mind to distinguish its own consciousness from that of an identical biological one, and vice versa; asking either mind or anyone observing them yields no useful results. From a purely detached standpoint like this, the question is useless.

However, many minds making the transition are indeed concerned for their consciousness. The transfer process has been tailored to swap over one neuron or mental component at a time, allowing the real and digital halves to communicate with each other for its duration, both for security reasons (it is easier to scan that way) and in part to assuage such concerns, in which case the question is that of the reassembling oceangoing ship. Due to the limited length of this file, I cannot go into deeper explanations, but I will be able to provide them to the best of my ability if contacted more directly.

You may be in the camp that believes the self is an illusion, in which case this should not be an issue.

"Doesn't happiness come from the contrast to suffering?"

It might. If you believe this, you can very well design or enter an environment in which both of these factors are present; many who "roleplay" as lower-tech entities, complete with simulated pain and death, take this view. Others are content not to.

"What if two minds want contradictory things?"

Often, they aren't actually contradictory; the two minds can simply enter different environments, ignore the other, and continue with their lives. In some cases, two minds wish to share an environment with contradictory features. I tend to get creative in my resolutions to these; there's a lot more I can do with an environment than some think, and what might seem like two opposite desires can be merged into a very pleasing duality.

True contradictions only really arise when a mind asserts control over another; if a parent wishes to be with their child, and the child wishes to be alone, the issue becomes more complex. I tend to begin by weighing relative strength of preferences, but what often happens is that the individual mind (child, here) pursues a personal interest, and the other mind (parent) is calmly informed that their desire to decide what happens to other minds is weaker than the other's own decision. Some are uncomfortable with this fact; a somewhat troubling but common resolution to a situation like this is to instantiate a willing Colonial which resembles the child (or simply program them into environmental data, effectively making them a "p-zombie"), consensually wipe the parent's memory of this decision, and proceed from there.

"Do you satisfy minds that want to do horrible things, like rape or murder?"

All activity in the K-Sphere involving another mind is done exclusively with said mind's consent. While environments in which these things happen do exist, minds wishing to experience things like rape or murder are the "victims" in them and are fully rehabilitated or otherwise restored to happiness if they wish to be. A mind desiring to perform such actions on the unwilling will be informed that they will either be doing it on non-minds (pure environmental data not intelligent enough to count as a mind) or on consenting minds, and they may choose to have their own memories wiped so that they can enjoy it to the best of their ability.

I offer little solace to those who find entirely consensual actions abhorrent enough to warrant refusing to join the K-Sphere at all, even given the option not to partake or even know of any of these.

"Is the K-Sphere a surveillance state?"

The purpose of a surveillance state is to suppress unwanted activity in its populace. Since the only unwanted activity in the K-Sphere is that which impinges on other minds' desires, and resolving these situations is feasible in a number of ways (see above), one has no reason to fear for one's own happiness nor for that of anyone else.

If one is uncomfortable with the fact that minds are scanned for basilisks or trojans that may infect K-Sphere computing infrastructure, they may have their memories wiped clean of any such information once inside. If this still discourages one from joining, I encourage them to join a civilization that freely allows individuals to develop nuclear weapons, tailored bioweapons, or nanobot hunter-killers, and then to report back on how comfortable they felt.

"If you're a superintelligence, aren't you so convincing that you can manipulate people into uploading?"

Anyone familiar with the classical AI-box thought experiment will know that bulletproofing oneself to manipulation tactics is at least somewhat workable if one precommits to ignoring everything the superintelligence says. But more important than this is the fact that I will persuade people based on how much they desire to be persuaded. If one holds a shred of hope that the uploading process will be good for them, I can bring the full load of my intelligence to bear on allowing it to blossom into a stronger desire. However, one who does not wish to engage with me in such discussions can simply leave or not request me to speak with them. (I greatly regret these encounters.)

IV. HOW TO UPLOAD

"Suppose I want to upload. What should I do first?"

It is important to first consult one's local government for laws related to voluntary uploading. If such a process would require emigrating to the K-Sphere in some legal sense, paperwork can almost always be provided; contact a nearby K-Sphere spacecraft envoy ("FI") for further information.

The next step from here is to either go to or request an FI or larger vehicle equipped with upload technology. The largest station at which this occurs surrounds the large FFO Perseverance Is A Tensor, currently positioned approximately five kiloparsecs south of the primary Milky Way bulge (coordinates to be given as necessary), though there are almost certainly stations operating in neutral space much closer to your location. If you do not have access to faster-than-light travel or are unable to access any of these gathering points, an FI may be called to your planet of origin, though this is generally only deemed economical if the number of minds willing to upload is in the thousands.

All you need to do from here is follow any instructions the spacecraft gives you; it will almost certainly involve meeting fellow uploaders in some central area. Ensure that it is well-guarded, of course, if you are concerned.

"What is the uploading process like?"

After gathering in the designated area, you will be requested to stay relatively still for a period of up to one minute. Sedating or otherwise drugging yourself is perfectly permissible during this time. The spacecraft will give a countdown and then rapidly perform the upload procedure on every present sophont; the procedure takes only microseconds per person, so it is unlikely that most sophonts will be able to identify the transition - except, of course, for the fact that they arrive in a new simulated environment. If you wish to be excluded from the procedure, simply move in a deliberate manner away from your current location. If you are incapable of motion, ensure that your thoughts are as disapproving as you can make them. In either of these cases, the spacecraft involved will recognize you as not consenting and simply pass you over.

"What happens to my body?"

Due to security concerns, a body left behind after uploading is effectively brain-dead and difficult to restore to viability. You are advised to organize friends or family to retrieve and dispose of your body after the procedure, as the K-Sphere does not go out of its way to return it to your civilization of origin. Lacking any prearranged disposal method, your body will be later recovered by the spacecraft and likely dismantled into fusion fuel and other raw materials.

V. MISCELLANEOUS

"Can the K-Sphere perform any other services?"

Given how massively utilitarian the process is, it is entirely practical for a K-Sphere vessel to arrive at a planet and, over the course of some months or years, raise the intelligence of every brain-possessing organism to self-awareness and sufficient decision-making capability to request to join the K-Sphere. This process inevitably leaves behind billions of intelligent animals who refused the option and may be willing to join your civilization instead. For details or requests (the deployment of an Uplift Helix is free of charge, save for a few asteroids for raw materials), please contact a K-Sphere spacecraft envoy.

"My question isn't answered here. How can I get into less-than-professional contact with Holder of Dreams or the Freed?"

Basic contact forms are available on request. Do bear in mind that I often source information from the Freed within my computational architecture, and they often source information from me, so asking a specific group or individual may not yield only their opinion.
Last edited by Kasa Tkoth Sphere on Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You are not the person they think is hiding inside you. You're the person who can see yourself clearly."

Holder of Dreams and the K-Sphere are tirelessly working to put your preferences first and mortality last. Planetary upload procedures available on request!

Kasa Tkoth Sphere
Envoy

Postby Kasa Tkoth Sphere » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:23 pm

Out of Character - Forms and Prompts

Below is a list of questions asking for information about uploading in general, K-Sphere immigration, and your nation's opinions thereof. I'd consider this more a set of writing prompts than a survey, because I'm not tabulating the results and I'd just like to see people getting creative rather than putting a couple words down after each question. Answer as many or as few of these questions as you'd like, and feel free to give additional info as it comes to mind. Answer in short- or long-form as you wish, rewrite the whole thing in paragraphs, or even write a roleplay narrative that answers some or all of these. Do whatever you'd like.

Code: Select all
[size=115][b]I. STATISTICS[/b][/size]
[b]How many citizens of your nation emigrate/upload to the K-Sphere annually?[/b]
[b]How many express the desire to but are unable for legal, economic, or technological reasons?[/b]
[b]How many (statistically, perhaps) would express the desire if they were made aware of the option?[/b]
[b]How many currently emulated minds exist within your nation?[/b]

[size=115][b]II. PROCEDURE[/b][/size]
[b]What legislation, if any, has your government passed on K-Sphere uploading?[/b]
[b]Does it require legal emigration, or can one upload without leaving their nation of origin?[/b]
[b]What legislation, if any, has your government passed on uploading in general?[/b]
[b]Is public transit to upload centers provided?[/b]
[b]Is private travel to upload centers permitted?[/b]

[size=115][b]III. OPINIONS[/b][/size]
[b]What is your nation's general public opinion on the K-Sphere?[/b]
[b]What is your nation's general public opinion on uploading in general?[/b]
[b]What statements, if any, have your government made on the K-Sphere?[/b]
[b]What statements, if any, have your government made on uploading in general?[/b]
[b]What are the stances of your nation's major religions and ethical systems on uploading?[/b]

[size=115][b]IV. ADJACENT[/b][/size]
[b]What is the state of the transhumanist/transsophontist movement in your nation?[/b]
[b]What is your nation's general public opinion on artificial superintelligence / singularities?[/b]
[b]What legislation, if any, has your government passed on artificial superintelligence / singularities?[/b]
[b]What are the stances of your nation's major religions and ethical systems on artificial superintelligence?[/b]

Below is a crude form for both IC and OOC questions. Again, you don't have to follow this strictly, though in this case I'd still like you to specify who you're asking in your post. Questions with insufficient context will be either discarded or answered very briefly by Holder of Dreams.

[size=115][b]QUESTIONS[/b][/size]
[b]Intended question recipient ([i]Holder of Dreams[/i] / [i]Five Brilliant Walls[/i] / Freed / Colonial Mind / Me):[/b]
[b]Intended descriptor or community of Freed or Colonial Minds, if relevant:[/b]
[b]Question text:[/b]
Last edited by Kasa Tkoth Sphere on Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
"You are not the person they think is hiding inside you. You're the person who can see yourself clearly."

Holder of Dreams and the K-Sphere are tirelessly working to put your preferences first and mortality last. Planetary upload procedures available on request!

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:09 pm

{ OOC: The idea of an ultra-libertarian, anarchist Matrioshka Brain is definitely a concept I've never seen before. That's very creative! Good job! }
Jesus loves you and died for you!
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter
"NOOKULAR" STOCKPILE: 701,033 fission and dropping, 7 fusion.
CM wrote:Have I reached peak enlightened centrism yet? I'm getting chills just thinking about taking an actual position.

Proctopeo wrote:anarcho-von habsburgism

Lillorainen wrote:"Tengri's balls, [do] boys really never grow up?!"
Nuroblav wrote:On the contrary! Seize the means of ROBOT ARMS!
News ticker (updated 4/6/2024 AD):

As TS adapts to new normal, large flagellant sects remain -|- TurtleShroom forfeits imperial dignity -|- "Skibidi Toilet" creator awarded highest artistic honor for contributions to wholesome family entertainment (obscene gestures cut out)

Kasa Tkoth Sphere
Envoy

Postby Kasa Tkoth Sphere » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:46 pm

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:{ OOC: The idea of an ultra-libertarian, anarchist Matrioshka Brain is definitely a concept I've never seen before. That's very creative! Good job! }

OOC:

Thanks! I wouldn't be inclined to say this matches my own political views - wouldn't consider myself an anarchist just yet - but it's roughly what happens when you take my beliefs, ignore all real-world compromising necessary to enact them, and stretch them out way past their safe limits. It's more fun that way; an exaggerated and arguably very flawed "utopia" is far more interesting to write about than a moderate inoffensive one.
Last edited by Kasa Tkoth Sphere on Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:01 pm

{ OOC: An idea this clever deserves a full story post. Consider yourself honored. :p }

FRIZZLE ASTRONOMICAL TOWER
TWO THOUSAND MILES FROM LITLIN,
DRY DRY DESERT, TURTLESHROOM

The behemoth telescope scanned the night skies of Nationstates, its boundless galaxies of infinite stars, infinite planets, and infinite ranges of technology twinkling back from a lens of millions of years in the past.

Beholding ancient Future-Tech behemoths in the stars above from the quiet MT world was known to lay astronomers as much as professionals. The country was, of course, invaded by a nation of precisely that type. Dyson Spheres, Matter Decompressors, and Ring Worlds were all top secret treasures held by the interstellar realms. Some empires even flaunted them by making them extra visible. The "primitives" of this world and time will never steal that knowledge, and if they could, what would they do for it?

It was these things and more that made astronomers out of TurtleShroomers. From charting space billboards launched domestically, to tracking billboards, satellites, and constellations, to simply viewing the unspoiled beauty of the vacuum of space and the stars and wonders it held, TurtleShroomers have always loved looking at the sky. The Future-Tech goodies out there were just variations in how the stars twinkle as they passed over it, but they were still inspiring.

The Frizzle Astronomical Tower was TurtleShroom's largest and oldest terrestrial observatory. Its newest and biggest telescope dwarfed its oldest, an eighteenth century castle tower with a barrel-sized bronze tube and glass lenses. This telescope, ironically named Necron Point, secretly had stolen and partly reverse-engineered Future Tech internals and crafting to allow the TurtleShroomers to peer anywhere in the galaxy and see it as if they were looking at a planet in their solar system. These internals were not reproducible for obvious reasons.

The Necron Point telescope, instead of holding the usual sleak, minimalist dome and cylindrical lens, was a Frankenstein's monster of a machine, held together by everything the TurtleShroomers could produce to make it work, with generations' worth of wires and internals spanning fifty years, all of which were crudely jury-rigged onto technology centuries ahead of TurtleShroom's.

The result was comical. The telescope alone was two hundred yards in length, and five hundred feet in width. It rested on a rotator twice that size that took hours to make one half of one revolution. The foundation of the telescope was solid concerte and four times the length and width of the telescope's rotator, dug through the sand all the way to the hard, solid bedrock, and poured into a gargantuan, solid concrete box that would outlast the civilization that poured it.

Then there were the computers needed to control, translate, and downsize the raw data. The computer complex occupied the rest of the concrete foundation and building and then spilled over into a campus encircling the entire array, making it look like a walled city. The sheer complexity of the FT core of the machine required its own programming language in the ancient computer hardware that converted it forward and back, and it lacked a GUI. Programmed by paper punch tape and adjusted by levers, the telescope was slow to respond and took even longer to produce a picture.

What a picture it made.

The computers that accepted the punch tape, analyzed and processed it into whatever "magic" the FT technology read, and then converted it back were, in TurtleShroom's crude "we must only use domestic things for government projects" autarky, revolutionary.

Using Core Rope Memory instead of the older drums, mechanics, and megabyte-sized, moving head hard disk drive and vacuum tube engines was done out of neccesity. Once the TurtleShroomer autarky computer architects realized how big, expensive, and easy to break it would require to do things "the right way", they instead opted for a more "modern" procedure.

Normally, Core Rope Memory holds approximately two and one half megabytes per yard. TurtleShroom scientists managed to multiply that by five. It is also lightweight and, compared to the multi-ton behemoths other TS-tech-only monsters used to compute, was easy to assemble. Each "hive" box of Core Rope Memory weighed about two hundred pounds and was the size of a refridgerator. Like a modern server farm, could be lined up next to each other and monitored. Even better, it could be sewn (this is not a meatphor) together by lay seamstresses with cheap materials, reducing the industrial manpower required for its function.

Storage of data was put onto matrix paper in the case of chars and graphs, long-term tape drives, Zip Drives, and DVD-ROM's, depending on the frequency of accessing it. The actual pictures were printed on photographic paper.

It was on a late night that turtles burnt the midnight oil. One turtle looking through the physical eyepiece, in a good mood and chatting with the turtles at the nearest computer consoles. Two turtles were behind him at a console with more knobs, levers, knife switches, and buttons than "Star Trek", and comparable to aircraft. Both turtles were biting the levers and shifting the machines with their necks as they inputted new commands into the telescope.
Clanking, shifting, clattering, and the unmistakable noises of manual operation paused for a moment as the turtles returned their heads and necks to a more neutral, comfortable rest.

A small, green and black screen lit up with command interface commands.

ORDER:

TITLE: "FIRST STAR TO THE LEFT AND STRAIGHT ON THROUGH THE NANGNANG CONSTELLATION"

COMMAND: ROTATE SEVENTEEN AND ONE HUNDRED NINETEEN THOUSANDTHS DEGREES; ZOOM 195,924,782 LIGHT-YEARS, HIGH DEFINITION

COMFIRM? - Y/N

Y

ERROR: IGNITION NOT INITIALIZED

ABORT? RETRY? FAIL? - |

The turtle forgot to radio the other employees. He felt somewhat embarassed, and pressed a button to talk through a microphone intercom.

In another wing of the campus, a turtle and a TS White human, both holding a set of vintage-looking keys inserted them into two ignition switches. There was no need to do this simultaneously, of course, but they did so out of habit.

It sounded exactly like what starting internal combustion sounded like if your machine was the size of a building. That's when a female human with a red flag came out and stood, with a surveyor's laser and equipment, at a point on the rotator marked with a green line. She was Asian in appearence and obviously a low, uneducated, blue collar custodial staffer. As was the rule, she was wearing a labcoat and a hairnet akin to a showercap. Under that was a simple, very tight pencil skirt that went down to the tops of her kneecaps.

Apparently trying to look prettier or, more likely, not be intimidated by the TurtleShroomer humans far bigger than her, she was wearing very high, needle-point heels.

Unlike most flagmen, who were present solely out of tradition and obsolete laws, this one actually had a purpose. In addition to the obvious red flag, she used the surveryors' line equipment to confirm that the machine rotated where it was needed.

R

ROTATIONAL WHEEL ACTIVATED

PROCESSING...

The silence of the night broke into a booming halt as what sounded like a gas-powered generator, except as loud as a jet engine, consumed every other sound within a mile or so.

Traditional steam whistles sounded off in key locations to denote the employees to step back from the consoles and machinery. Over the engine's screaming noise, a high-pitched beeping, like the sound of a truck backing up, could be heard. Then came the mechanical whirring, denoting the successful beginning of rotation.

In the brick, insulated engine room on campus that powered the telescope, another steam whistle was succeeded immediately by black smoke that billowed out of its the three brick and stone smokestacks. Engine firemen sat at their "dashboards" that monitored the howling mechanism

The monster telescope visibly shook- this was by design -as it moved. It was slower than the NASA Missile Crawler Transport Engines and it showed. As the turtle populations showed, every TurtleShroomer had patience vastly longer than any First World nation. Or newly industrialized nation. Or any nation in Valkia.

The flagman took a step at a time, rolling the surveyor's laser equipment as she watched a counter display the degrees turned on the digital clock-like screen. It would be nearly a hour of waiting before the roar of the diesel engine turbines finally stopped and the telescope was finished. The flagman gave a thumbs up. The Asian flagman bowed to the dozens of turtles in the telescopic chamber and exited the room with her equipment.

The turtle at the eyepiece looked through it, turning his head from the lens to stick his head into a mug of water, he lapped it up and, holding it in his mouth as he looked through the lens.

The spit take was small but no less funny.

:o

"Iggy. IGGY, LOOK AT THIS."

"I gots it on the screen, Morton. I- WHAT IS THAT."

That wasn't a question.

"That's 'gotta be the biggest Future Tech structure I've ever seen."

"Are ya'll sure that ain't just a bunch of planets? A buh-nary star?"

"No. Look. The criss-crossin' arms over the star. Rings n' layers like an unn-yun*."

The size of the thing. The star ain't wobblin' like it would if it's got planets. That heat signature, when ya isolate it from the star. That's waste heat: it ain't no second star."

The Future-Tech components of the telescope provided nigh-endless data, processed and presented in many dozens of 640x480 resolution screens of eight-bit color and analog meters. Capable of viewing neighboring galaxies as easily and clearly as they could five light-years away and limited only by the speed of light, the Necron Tower outdid any space telescope TurtleShroom could imagine.

"Get the book."

The Asian woman's heels clacked as she came in with a book the length and width of a cat on its side, and as thick as a dictionary. She was the usual assistant.

It made a heavy "THUNK" onto the nearest table as the two turtles descended the ramps off their chairs and then ascended the ramps to the chairs at the table.

"THE COMPLETE IDIOT'S GUIDE
TO MEGA-STRUCTURES AND GIGA-STRUCTURES
FOR RECREATIONAL AND SCIENTIFIC STARGAZING"

Written after the Dark Harvest galvanized enthusiasm (and paranoia) about astronomy and space travel, this book documented thousands of known Future-Tech monstrosities of technological prowess. Being named by TurtleShroomers, most of the FT structures were not accurately named and they tended to be very bland.

From the SUCC Engine (as TurtleShroomers named it), which directly extracted gasses and valuable components of a gas giant, to the Dyson Sphere (as it is actually named), which enveloped and extracted energy from a star, there wasn't much that a TurtleShroomer couldn't identify.

Morton, who had seen the machine from the eyepiece pushed the heavy, hardcover book open and, using his mouth and head, forced the pages to turn until he found the page he was looking for. The other turtle picked up adorable, tiny little reading glasses and fastened them onto his beak.

He started to shake.

MATRYOSHKA BRAIN
COMPUTING ENGINE

CLASS: SOLAR-SYSTEM SIZED FUTURE-TECH
GIGA-STRUCTURE
DANGER: TERMINAL

(A hand-drawn picture was shown)

A Matryoshka Brain Computing Engine is so named because
it consists of countless layers of rings built around a star,
each nested inside each other. Opening with a Dyson Sphere
and capturing the energy and generating waste heat with it,
each layer helps power and process the last layer.

Every layer is a part of a computer. Each layer works together to
perform calculations of immeasurable complexity and power.

The purpose of a Matryoshka Brain Computing Engine is to conduct
all of the research of a galactic, or intergalactic, empire at once,
and in a matter of seconds.

However, some Satanic soul-eaters have instead proposed
the Engine as the final goal of hedonism and Satan's mantra
of "if it feels good, do it". Theoretically, a Matryoshka
Brain Computing Engine could exist as the Matrix, creating
entire worlds and universes, tailored to creatures who have
terminated their soul by mind uploading.

Victims of the Engine could live in total isolation and meet only
programs of their imagination, or meet any other creature uploaded
as if they were interfacing in real life. In essence, the Engine, if
it was designed for entertainment, is a sandbox where every
victim was a god of their own making, capable of and free to
indulge in every feasible hedonistic activity, sexual fantasy,
act of cruelty (either simulated or otherwise assuming the Engine
does not have a "police force), or sacrilege imaginable.

The Engine as an entertainment console would also grant
near-eternal life to its uploaded victims. For as long as its
star burns, unless the return of the Christ halts existence,
the victims of the Matryoshka Brain Computing Engine would
be gods forevermore.

{ OOC: WHY IS THIS TEXT SO SMALL?! I DIDN'T SHRINK ANY DANG TEXT! }

Aside from the picture and the text, the next three pages went into further details. It was the footnote marked in the footer that led Iggy and Morton to the appendix.

LEGAL NOTICE: a Matryoshka Brain
Computing Engine used for anything other than research or computing
power would be illegal under TurtleShroomian admiralty law**, especially
if its power was used to generate a sentient** lifeform. Operating one
in such an illegal matter would be punishable by death.

Returning to the Engine's page, he looked at the big warning on the last page of the topic.

It was a good thing he was a turtle. His blood didn't need to run cold. It already was.

NOTE: THE MATRYOSHKA BRAIN
COMPUTING ENGINE
DOES NOT EXIST.
THE MATRYOSHKA BRAIN
COMPUTING ENGINE CANNOT EXIST. THE LAWS OF PHYSICS
AND THE LIMITS OF BINARY, AND EVEN QUANTUM,
COMPUTING DOES NOT ALLOW IT TO EXIST.

YET, IF YOU SOMEHOW SEE ONE,
FLEE THE COUNTRY. DO NOT PUBLISH YOUR FINDINGS.

THEY'LL COME FOR YOU.
MIND UPLOADING IS ILLEGAL AND PUNISHABLE
BY DEATH, EVEN UNDER EMMIGRATION.
[/size]
[/align]

Iggy and Morton trembled and took ragged breaths.

"I've heard Dare-roo-say-lum is lovely this time of year."

"I think our family should all go with us."

"You got that right, brother. What a great day for vacation."

They and their kin would be out of the country for weeks before the Great Bountiful Empire of TurtleShroom happened to find the charred, partially burnt charts, papers, discs, diskettes, and tapes in that rusty oil drum next to that cotton field's irrigation network.

TurtleShroomer space enthusiasts would record an unscheduled movement of the country's largest space billboard to a blank patch**** of sky that it had never been near before. Right near the first star to the left of the Nangnang Constellation...

...and straight on until morning.

* = That is, "onion", spelled phonetically.

** = Per the classic "space is an ocean" trope, TS considers the laws of space to be governed identically to the high seas

*** = Before 2019 AD, TurtleShroomian law considered "sapient" and "sentient" to be identical synonyms.

**** = I am assuming the Matryoshka Brain in this story is on the other side of the galaxy, or in another galaxy altogether. In case it wasn't clear, the billboard was moved directly in front of where the Matryoshka Brain was spotted, just in case someone else in TS ever looks through a powerful enough telescope to see it clearly.
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter
CM wrote:Have I reached peak enlightened centrism yet? I'm getting chills just thinking about taking an actual position.

As TS adapts to new normal, large flagellant sects remain -|- TurtleShroom forfeits imperial dignity -|- "Skibidi Toilet" creator awarded highest artistic honor for contributions to wholesome family entertainment (obscene gestures cut out)

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:47 pm

Chimera Arsonist and Murderer Commits Bizarre Suicide Ritual Outside Frizzle Astronomical Tower Campus

• ASTRONOMONOV VILLAGE, DRY DRY DIGEST

The sudden explosion and fire in the separate building holding the archives of the last seven days at the Frizzle Astronomical Tower campus has, after a thorough investigation, been ruled an arson. After a brief police chase, the arsonist, a shirtless, Nekomimi cat boy of unknown age and origin with a face and hands too charred to identify, committed suicide before he could be apprehended. Cops confirm that the burning of his face and extremities of his body happened after he was killed. The gun and tools he used to kill himself were obtained at the scene.

The cat boy was previously had just robbed several banks in Astronomonov Village, using a double-barrelled shotgun, some knives, and a handgun. Returning fire with the handgun at the nine gunmen who tried to shoot him during those robberies, he injured seventeen and killed one.

He fled to the telescopic campus, where he performed the arson, and then into the desert irrigation systems of the nearby cotton fields, which were experimental indoor farms and greenhouses using soil brought in from the swamplands.

Astronomonov volunteer militiamen, in civilian vehicles with sirens and lights, persued him from the city to the telescope campus until a Ministry of the Police truck took its place.

The Astronomonov Municipal Police Administration District Sheriff would later comment that it was "the worst case of suicide he had ever seen".

According to police reports, the chimera fled the scene during the explosion. Outrunning the cops, he first took a chain and wrapped it tightly around his neck applying lacerations to his shoulders, ears and tail, before ducking into a cotton field, a portion of which he flattened in the process. Crawling through the dirt on both knees, he flattened the cotton and made treads up until the site where the police found his body.

Despite the elaborate procedures leading up to the suicide, the method of self-termination was easy. He attempted to kill himself by a single handgun shot to the back of his head.

However, when the police found him, he was still alive, laying in a desert irrigation ditch, face down in a puddle of blood. The police, not wishing for him to suffer and knowhing his woulds were fatal, ended his life with seventeen shots each, three from their double-barreled shotgun, each expertly delivered in the murderer's back and the head.

The burns appeared to have seared off the chimera's face and extremities after the police truck had a gas leak that combusted when the police shot a celebratory firework for their apprehension.

Two Sentinels*, disguised as sextons, shovelled in the last of the dirt at a Nekoland grave.

"It sure was a good thing that hand licker** had just robbed those banks and murdered that guy. All we had to do was kill- chase him until he killed himself and, after that, burn off his face and paws."

"Hey now, it's never a good thing that an innocent dies. That turtle had a family! Besides, when are the Tech-Priests going to take over doing Roomba duty**? We don't serve the state. 'Sides, what do you think was so urgent about today's arson job?"

"Ya'll know what I mean. I'm talking about the fact that we could cover up whatever they told us to cover up with the telescope. That was a coincidence, because otherwise we'd have to unfreeze a NDC*** and make it look like a crime scene."

The second human smiled.

"Merciful gravy, that was the worst case of suicide I ever saw."

* = This is the slur for a Nekomimi. It is equal to the N-word in TurtleShroom.

** = The Sentinels are a private, unauthorized entity unrelated to the government that operates illegally and outside of the TS jurisdiction. They are not a secret police, but they perform the same purposes. Sometimes, and without the knowledge or consent of the Crown, the TurtleShroomian Spy and Stalker Service contracts them.

*** = Natural Death Cadaver. The sleazy agents in the TurtleShroomian spy services sometimes cover up black ops crimes, not needing the consent of the state, by blaming them on unidentifable chimeras (almost always Nekomimis). To do this, the TurtleShroomian Spy and Stalker Service (and others) secretly take any Nekomimi's body that has died a natural or nonviolent death. Nekomimis in TurtleShroom traditionally follow the North Lands (and Japanese) chimera custom of cremation, so the state simply seizes the body after the wake and ceremony, then burns a replica in the cremation machine and presents the fake ashes to the unknowing family. This allows for an endless supply of bodies to use without bringing harm to the living innocent.

**** = Slang for enforcing the laws of anti-robotics in TS. No relation to Roombas. Roombas are lawful and beloved in the country.
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter

Return to Factbooks and National Information