NATION

PASSWORD

Turenn Regional Application Thread [MT | Open]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]
New Kvenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 07, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Turenn Regional Application Thread [MT | Open]

Postby New Kvenland » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:41 am

Turenn is a realistic, modern-tech, non-Eurocentric region with an emphasis on writing. This means that, while worldbuilding certainly isn’t discouraged, it isn’t the main focus of the region, as in many others -- rather, our primary goal is to create quality writing, whether in collaborative threads, news posts, vignettes, &c. (Although we do try to prioritize collaborative threads -- that is what this site's built upon, after all.) If you aren't good at worldbuilding or don't like it, but are a quality writer, you're more than welcome to join the region.

By "non-Eurocentric," we mean that Turenn is not shaped by a history of European (or equivalent) domination through colonialism and conquest, as in most regions. Rather, there were no historically dominant ethnic groups, as each part of the world was allowed to grow at roughly the same speed. There was certainly conquest and empires spanning continents and oceans, but in the modern era, no one continent or race dominates global politics and culture. This allows for novel concepts and histories to develop and not be defined by which continent they're on. If you're considering applying, you aren't required to avoid traditional European monarchies/republics, but you're encouraged to think outside the box and come up with a less conventional idea, such as a Papuan anarchist territory or indigenous Brazilian federation of village-states.

(Note that, at the moment, Turenn is brand new without much defined lore -- this means you have even more freedom to explore a fresh idea!)

Interested? Join our Discord to learn some of the finer aspects of the region and discuss the viability of your concept. Once finished, complete the application at the end of this post.

The Map

The regional map is an incredibly helpful tool in visualizing concepts and working out international relations.* On account of Turenn's adherence to realism, the placement of concepts is intended to make sense, with related ethnic groups and language communities being close to one another: the ethnic map is a helpful tool in ensuring that makes sense. Before staking a claim, it's recommended that you consult with region members in the #maps channel of the Discord, just to make sure you're in line with your soon-to-be fellow regionmembers.

For a general idea, the vast western continent is home to most Eurasian ethnicities, from Northern Europeans in the northern plains, to central and west Asians around the equator, to east and southeast Asians deep into the southern peninsulas and archipelagos. The small continent nestled into its northeast is home to most African ethnicities, with Nilo-Saharan peoples on the northern peninsula, Khoi-San peoples on the southern, and Niger-Congo and Afro-Asiatic peoples in between. The southeast continent is home to most indigenous North American ethnicities, with the peoples of the Arctic and Subarctic in the southern fjords to the peoples of the Southwest and Southeast up towards the north. The northwestern continent is populated primarily by indigenous South American ethnicities, with a vast archipelago mostly populated by Mesoamerican ethnicities connecting the two.

*Note that if you have an idea that doesn't mesh well with a world map -- a stateless nation, maybe, or an entirely seabound republic -- you aren't required to claim a spot on the map. It is strongly encouraged, however, as long as your concept has a set land territory. If you aren't good at mapmaking, region members will be willing to assist you.

The Application

Hashed out your concept on the server and ready to apply? Just fill out the application below, and the region members and admins will discuss it and accept it in due time. Once you've been accepted, send a TG or PM to myself and we'll work out a plot on the map for you.

Code: Select all
[Blocktext][i][size=120]Basic information[/size][/i]
[i]Full nation name:[/i]
[i]Shortened name:[/i]
[i]Population:[/i]
[i]Government type:[/i]
[i]Ethnic/cultural equivalent:[/i]
[i]National leader(s):[/i]
[i]Summarised history:[/i]
[i]Summarised national description:[/i]
[i]Summarised description of national culture:[/i]
[i]Language(s):[/i]

[i][size=120]Economic/military information[/size][/i]
[i]GDP:[/i]
[i]GDP per capita:[/i]
[i]Major industries:[/i]
[i]Total military personnel:[/i]
[i]Defence expenditure (as percentage of GDP):[/i]
[i]Miltech claims or preferences:[/i]

[i][size=120]Personal information[/size][/i]
[i]Writing samples:[/i]
[i]Past regions:[/i]
[i]How did you learn about Turenn?:[/i]
[i]What role do you want to fill in Turenn?:[/i]
[i]Preferred location on map:[/i][/Blocktext]

Basic information
Full nation name: Your nation’s official name, as in “Republic of Namibia” or “United Mexican States.”
Shortened name: The name your nation is commonly referred to by, as in “Namibia” or “Mexico.”
Population: The total population of your nation; try to keep this reasonable, think below 100 million.
Government type: The kind of government ruling your nation, as in monarchy or republic, federation or unitary state, &c.; check out the Wikipedia pages of the real nations closest to your own for templates.
Ethnic/cultural equivalent: What real life culture is closest to the one(s) populating your nation?
National leader(s): This would include head of state and head of government, whether they’re one person or committees.
Summarised history: Don’t worry about making this especially long, you can flesh it out more after you’ve been accepted -- a paragraph is perfectly reasonable.
Summarised national description: See above
Summarised description of national culture: See above
Language(s): The most common languages of your nation.
Preferred location on map: Check out the ethnic map to get a vague idea of where your nation would make the most sense.
What role do you want to fill in Turenn?: Do you want to be a powerhouse militarily, or diplomatically? Do you want to be one of the most important economies, or more specialized? And anything else in that direction.

Economic/military information
GDP: Your total economic output (in PPP); reasonably, this should be in the mid-hundreds to tens of billions of dollars, depending on your population and economy.
GDP per capita: The above, divided by population.
Major industries: What does your nation excel at economically? Try to keep these down to a few things.
Total military personnel: Note that, unless you’re one of the largest nations, this should be in the tens of thousands.
Defence expenditure (as percentage of GDP): Similar to above, anything above 2% here is generally unreasonable (unless you’ve got excuses similar to Israel or the US, and a small military to boot).
Miltech claims or preferences: Which nation’s tech do you want to claim as your own? (Note that this isn't that important if you don't really care about this thing.)

Personal information
Writing samples: This can be any sort of writing you’ve done in the past; if you have no examples on hand, a prompt will be provided for you.
Past regions: What regions have you been in before applying to this one?
How did you learn about Turenn?: Find the app thread on F&NI and had your curiosity piqued? Read an RP and found yourself intrigued? Recommended by another person?
What role do you want to fill in Turenn?: Want to be a regional superpower, telling your neighbors what to do? Or maybe a smaller, but resource-rich nation, ignored by the global political community but frequently targeted by international corporations? Maybe even a tiny tax haven with a sordid past? Whatever you want your nation to be, this is where you say as much.

Note that the above guidelines are guidelines, not hard-and-fast rules. Feel free to ignore them if you believe your concept would work better by doing so.
Last edited by New Kvenland on Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
californian ultranationalist | the bear flag will fly from cabo to the great salt lake once again | the pretenders in arizona will crumble to the sand they tread on

New Kvenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Kvenland » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:23 am

Basic information
Full nation name: The Imperial Union of Anatjulu and Its Associated Territories
Shortened name: Anatjulu
Population: 83,412,684
Government type: Unitary semi-parliamentary constitutional elective monarchy
Ethnic/cultural equivalent: Indigenous Australian/Torres Strait Islander in general, Pitjantjatjara in particular
National leader(s): Anangu Minyintiri, Emperor of Anatjulu, rules as a semi-figurehead and head of state, while the 412 members of the Imperial Legislature serve as the collective head of government
Summarised history: Human population of the Anatjulu homeland along the Three Great Seas is relatively new, only being inhabited for the past 600,000 years, but its first civilization, the Ataua Empire, is one of the oldest in the world, its oldest records being dated to the 5th millennium BCE. It is considered one of the world's cradles of civilization, and its ancient civilizations built some of the world's most famous landmarks, as well as the ruins of cities such as Etitu and Yantawika. Its distance from other early civilizations, however, meant that its development was largely isolated, and its influence was minuscule until the 1st millennium AD.

In 1103, following the Sixth War of the Wolves, the Anatjulu Empire was founded in the village of Tjutjuna, and quickly grew to dominate over the other warlord states on the Three Great Seas. Its primarily thalassocratic empire grew to dominate trade in the [X] Ocean, reaching as far as [Northern European nations] on occasion; In order to reach the resource-rich lands of [African continent], it established three colonies on the continent, one of which was destroyed in a massacre in 1653. In 1781, while in dire financial straits, the empire agreed to be vassals to the Fusenese, and maintained that status until its independence in 1903. Following its forced involvement in various wars on the other side of the planet, the Empire established a strict neutral policy, and has since seen prosperity and economic growth. In 1937, the Helmetshrike Revolution saw the empire lose much of its power and switch to a semi-parliamentary system, one which has seen various periods of relative upheaval. Since the 1950s, the increased globalization of the world saw Anatjulu's relevance blossom as it started trading with nations all over the globe, and immigrants from every corner of the world came to start a new life in the nation. With the exception of a recession in 1988-93, the nation has seen its most prosperous era in its history in the last century.

Summarised national description: The vast majority of Anatjulu’s population lives along the coastlines of one of the Three Great Seas, near which most of the nation’s arable land can be found. The northern deserts and southern plains and mountains are sparsely inhabited, although their population has risen dramatically over the past 15 years. Only 55% of the nation is ethnically native to Anatjulu; most of the rest trace their ancestry to [not!Africa], with [not!Asian] and [not!Native] minorities. The capital of Anatjulu, New Tjutjuna City, boasts an urban agglomeration of over 30 million people, making it one of the largest cities in the world.

Anatjulu is considered a major power in most of the southern hemisphere, and a middle power globally; in spite of a large military, it maintains one of the longest traditions of neutrality in the world, and is considered a joint leader of the non-aligned movement. Its economy is one of the largest and fastest growing in the southern hemisphere, due to a surge in agricultural growth and industrial development. Anatjulu is a member of the Congress of Nations, Non-Aligned Movement, and Southern Cross Mutual Development Union.

Anatjulu is a highly developed country, its standard of living in the cities being one of the highest in the world, and its urban population enjoys high rates of education and economic equality; its rural areas, though, tend to be more unequal and undeveloped. Its entire population, however, is one of the healthiest and longest-lived in the world, due to a world-renowned healthcare system. Its culture has grown increasingly popular in the last 25 years, particularly its media and music.

Summarised description of national culture: Much of Anatjulu’s culture is a consequence of its peoples’ histories in semi-nomadic tribes, only creating permanent settlements in the last millennium. Much is also descended from the mingling and merging of Anatjulan and [not!African] norms, with customs and fashions traded from one continent to the other. Most more unusual cultural features, however, are no longer practiced by the newer generations, preferring instead to conform with the rest of the world.
Language(s): Anatjulu hosts over 400 native languages, most from the Trans-Anatjulu language family; the lingua franca, however, is what’s known as Tjutjuna Creole, a creole that arose in the cosmopolitan population of the nation’s capital. Few speak it as a native language, but most of the nation speaks it as a second language.

GDP: $2,140,119,233,388 (2.14 trillion)
GDP per capita: $25,657
Major industries: Mining, ore processing, consumer products, agriculture
Total military personnel: 154,000 active | 212,000 reserve
Defence expenditure (as percentage of GDP): 1.1%
Miltech claims or preferences: None

Personal information
Writing samples: I guess this, although I’m not a big fan of it
Past regions: Atlas (unfortunately), Tiandi, Ajax
How did you learn about Turenn?: It came to me in a vision
What role do you want to fill in Turenn?: As stated in the national description, I was hoping Anatjulu could be locally important power with some clout in the rest of the world as well. I imagine it filling a lot of China’s roles IRL, particularly its production of cheap consumer goods.
Preferred location on map: Not quite sure yet… I’ll probably add a subcontinent southeast of the tip of the eastern continent
californian ultranationalist | the bear flag will fly from cabo to the great salt lake once again | the pretenders in arizona will crumble to the sand they tread on

Samanohuwa
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 09, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Samanohuwa » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:33 pm

Basic information
Full nation name: The Kingdom of the Islands of Samanohuwa

Shortened name: Samanohuwa

Population: 107,302,198

Government type: Constitutional executive parliamentary monarchy

Ethnic/cultural equivalent: Polynesia, with a dash of Majapahit (just a little), colonial Caribbean, and Viking.

National leader(s): Moa Maletola IV (King Maletola IV), Prime Minister Kuini Kipi

Summarised history:
"The Land of the Friendly Sharks", as the name of the nation and archipelago that is the Kingdom of Samanohuwa literally translates to, is a fertile and relatively new nation from a historical perspective - strong currents flow along the side facing the nearest continent in both directions, and the warm waters draw frequent storms, so much of was only colonized by humans in the third century BCE, when many other civilizations had progressed deep into the Iron Age. A network of hundreds of islands spread across thousands of square kilometers, ranging from flat and level atolls and rocky outcroppings in the east, fog-enshrined volcanic islands in the middle, quickly rising to the snowcapped tectonic massifs of Laninui in the west, the largest island by far in the nation. A combination of fertile soils, excellent timber, rare and exotic fruits and spices, and of course the large gold and iron (and centuries later, thorium) deposits ensured an excellent base from which to grow an economy from, and later a nation.

For the first several hundred years of the archipelago's history, it was little more than a collection of tribes alternately warring or forging alliances. It was Ahuahu that first started unifying the islands, and it was his unification of the island of Samanohuwa proper that is the reason why he is considered the nation's first true king. He began a long campaign of expansionism, which eventually led to Samanohuwa controlling about an eighth of the kingdom's present territory by the end of his reign in the middle of the fourth century. The next four hundred years saw periods of both slow and fast expansion, but it was under the reign of Kuitakui I that it underwent its largest expansion - reaching out to unoccupied atolls to the east and westward towards Lanuinui, where his expansion eventually halted around his fiftieth birthday.

While the differences between the other islands were relatively subtle from island to island in Samanohuwa, Lanuinui was quite different. Despite being larger than most of the others combined, it had been united for most of its existence. While the rest of Samanohuwa was predominantly of the native Samanohuwan faith (which would not be standardized until well into the fourteenth century) with some esoteric Theravadan Buddhism, Lanuinui was predominantly Hindu with more standard Theravadan Buddhism as the main religion. Samanohuwa had a single king, Lanuinui had an oligarchy of chiefs, princes, and kings. Samanohuwans often wore clothes only to protect against inclement weather or during dangerous activities (though some would even go into battle nude) unless they were priests, Lanuinuians would wear garments to protect their already worn cotton, linen, and silk clothing imported from across the sea. Lanuinui had population numbers and slightly better armor, but Samanohuwa had more soldiers, more experienced generals, and better training. Still, Kuitakui would keep appearances of peace while building up his armies and war fleets.

The conquest would go on for six long grueling years, and Kuitakui, slain by a favored general who had been tricked by a power-hungry priest, would fall on the last day of the war. The coming dawn would see the surrender of the government of Lanuinui, and for this the new (and current) capital of 'Aho'eiku was named and established, for the old one on Samanohuwa proper, Kaneloa, had been severely damaged in a storm - it would eventually serve as the judiciary capital centuries later. The massive boost in income from the gold and iron so plentiful in Lanuinui's mountains would not be enough to undo the damage caused by the war, and Samanohuwa went into several centuries of tenuous stability. There was the king operating out of 'Aho'eiku, yes, but his power was nowhere near the level that it was before the war, and much power was in petty chiefs through whom the kings delegated power to save money. During this time, Samanohuwans would grow themselves an unfortunate (but at the time well-deserved) reputation as raiders and pirates.

For thousands of kilometers around, Samanohuwan ships became feared for their raids, stealing gold, women, and just about anything not nailed down, even the men. They reached as far as northern [Western continent], taking a sizable number of slaves from there and the lands beyond via either raids or trade. It was from here that the bulk of the black and white minorities both originate, as Samanohuwan law did not allow interracial relationships even among the slave caste. The whole time, the actual government engaged in trade with the lands to the south - conveniently and easily brushing aside the rampant piracy because Samanohuwan pirates simply did not raid that far south, and Samanohuwa's gold was too good to pass up. As tactics and technology changed however, the raiding slowed, eventually stopping near the end of the eleventh century. For the next six centuries, Samanohuwa would mostly manage to stay out of trouble - having a civil war in the twelfth and sporadic attempts to colonize the mainland in the fourteenth were the largest exceptions. The power of the Moa (king/emperor/depends-on-who-you-ask) waxed and waned not unlike the tide as the nobles grew and shrank in power.

Eventually though, changing behaviors among sea tradesmen, changing politics, and a period of government weakness resulted in a rebound in piracy in an age when the whole sphere of Turenn could be navigated. For a while, Samanohuwa let it be, much to the chagrin of the greater powers. Crime or not, it brought in money and it mostly didn't impact Samanohuwa. And when it did they could show to said greater powers that the Moa was 'doing something' by arresting a few pirates that tried to take out of the government's pie - especially in regards to slaves, which Samanohuwa by then took from nearly every continent that the world had access to. Foreign pirates flocked to Samanohuwa as well because of these policies, eventually founding the third of the largest cities, Leiovaki, as a virtually lawless city where crime and chaos were rampant.

A major pirate raid against a treasure fleet owned by the governments of [colonizing nation] in the middle of the eighteenth century was the last straw. [Colonizing nation] could tolerate it no longer. The war was short, with few casualties on either side, but it was enough for [colonizing nation] to force a treaty with the Moa that in effect made them barely above a protectorate. It wasn't all bad - liberalism was brought to the Samanohuwan government by this protectorate status, as well as proper industrialization later in the nineteenth. The Kaleoali'i, the unicameral parliament of Samanohuwa, was formed in this era, universal men's suffrage for native Samanohuwans was granted in 1810, expanding to women in 1895 and all races in 1901. The economy grew further, with mines and plantations appearing alongside hotels, railways, and larger shipyards.

However, as the years wore on [colonizing nation] grew more and more controlling of Samanohuwan politics and culture. Laws regarding what clothes to wear, what food to eat, who to eat with and when (and how), who and how to vote for whom, what gods to worship and how to do so, what to celebrate, when to celebrate, and how to celebrate it, laws restricting or outright banning homosexual and polyandrous relationships, such were the Outsider Laws as they were known. Temples were torn down or repurposed for [colonizing nation]'s gods, land tenure - which had already been slowly shifting away from stewardship to ownership - was cemented as such, laws on morality and trade rights were passed and quite strongly enforced.

Like in much of the rest of the developed world, nationalism began to rise as the nineteenth century began to end. Politicians who wanted to reduce or even end outside control of Samanohuwan affairs gained popularity in the Kaleoali'i. The end of [colonizing nation]'s rule came about in 1910 during what would come to be known as the Monsoon War, as it initially started as protests over a perceived lack of aid after a severe storm damaged Leiovaki. This swelled over the course of barely two months into a full-scale rebellion, which ironically ended up gaining support within [colonizing nation] when the startling degree of corruption was shown among [colonizing nation]'s governors who controlled Samanohuwa. As a partial result, relations between [colonizing nation] and Samanohuwa warmed up quickly afterwards. Even so, the new Moa, Loka II created a new constitution with sweeping reforms that eliminated or even reversed many of the Outsider Laws. Some who had grown to approve of them attempted a rebellion (the Fourth Month Revolt) but it did not last long.

It would be important - during [whatever is closest equivalent to WWI/II and takes place after 1910], Samanohuwa became a target due to its rich iron deposits and plentiful locations for small hidden naval bases and airfields. But it held its ground, and provided great help to the Allies, even participating in later counter-invasions during the war. For its efforts, it became a founding member of [not!UN], and has secured its position as Relevant Clay. Since the end of the war, the Kaleoali'i has grown in power to be nearly equal to the Moa and the political climate has largely stabilized.

Tensions exist between the leaders of the more remote and traditionalist tribal councils of the mountains and smaller islands and the more modern-living peoples and politicians of the cities, and piracy remains a problem in the more remote fringes and places where corruption runs rampant, but the Samanohuwan Navy ensures it never becomes anything more than a regional problem in the more dangerous areas. Even on land though, crime is an occasional problem, which tends to go up during the dry seasons or when the tourism pangos stop flowing. Other problems include a decaying road and rail infrastructure in rural areas, which ranges from 'pothole farm' to 'pray it isn't raining' outside of the larger cities.

Tourism remains a major industry due to the beautiful beaches (and equally beautiful citizens), but Samanohuwa is not lacking in other fields - agriculture, mining, medical instruments, pharmaceuticals, electronics, and most notably the arms industry - the Samanohuwan military largely uses either locally-designed or locally-built equipment, especially the Navy. Culturally Samanohuwa is distinctly Samanohuwan, but there is still evidence of [colonizing nation]'s rule here and there, especially in more urban cities. Far from considering it a shame, Samanohuwa is proud of and celebrates the pirates of its past, though most don't like to talk about the more modern aspects of it unless they're actively involved in it.

Summarised national description: Samanohuwa's population is predominantly coastal. Despite its small size, it still manages to have just over 25% of that not be in areas defined by the government as 'urbanized', that is, individual CDPs designated as town or city with a population over 2500. With the population rising steadily however, this is expected to change. Ethnically speaking, a little over 70% of the population is ethnically Samanohuwan, most of the rest are [not!East Asian], [not!Slavic/Celtic/Northern European], [not!Sub Saharan African], and [not!South/Southeast Asian], in that order. All three of the cities mentioned in the History section above have a population over 5 million, with 'Aho'eiku being the largest.

On the upper end of being a middle power despite notorious problems with corruption in certain parts of the government (which Samanohuwa continues to deny), Samanohuwa is nonetheless considered one of the premiere blue-water navies in the world, due in no small part to its comparatively small army (though it does have a marine infantry force). Its economy is relatively strong for a nation of its size and is expected to grow dramatically in future years, as the economic importance of thorium - which Samanohuwa has some of the largest deposits in Turenn - grows. Samanohuwa suffers from uneven development, largely due to the aforementioned corruption. In cities, and areas where the government has a high level of control coupled with low corruption, it is among the highest in the world. In rural areas, and areas with high corruption, it is average at best, and in some areas it is firmly in the realm of 'sub-standard' as local politicians and nobles make themselves fat off the land.

Its culture experienced a surge in popularity in the middle of the last century in many countries, coinciding with the explosion of popularity of water sports (many of which either were invented or had versions invented in Samanohuwa) and the exoticness of its environment and culture, but this slowly faded. In recent years however, with the improvement of Samanohuwa's economy, interest in Samanohuwan culture has again started to grow - most notably music, history, and media. Another source of interest is motorsport - one of the first non-political the first post-independence Prime Minister did was hold an automobile grand prix in a racetrack in the mountains near 'Aho'eiku, which has since become one of the major races of Turenn's international Formula One circuit. Likewise, the many sharply-curved mountain roads - both paved and dirt - lend themselves to the development of racing cultures.

Summarised description of national culture: Samanohuwan culture revolves around the ocean and sea travel as a planet revolves around a star - understandable, as it started out as a collection of island villages, and even on Lanuinui most of the larger settlements always either had access to the sea or access to water. Culturally, many things are the same as they were before the introduction of gunpowder or writing - Samanohuwa's oral traditions have a remarkable lack of change from generation to generation, which may have played some part. Other things are lost, or have been changed to meet modern demands. Despite sizable minority populations, external influence on Samanohuwan culture is relatively low - partly due to most minorities being brought in as slaves, partly because many of the more distinctly Samanohuwan customs are enshrined in law throughout most of the country as part of the nationalist revival that immediately followed independence. As many of the more unusual features (with the distinct exception of the caste system, officially dismantled since 1951 and only present in the more remote/rural regions today) are considered 'progressive' or 'liberal' and therefore 'in' by large parts of the rest of the world, there is no sign of this changing in the foreseeable future.

Language(s): Hawaiian, Marquesan, Samoan, and Tonganese are the primary four languages, however, as Samanohuwa is a sizable archipelago the total number of languages is in the hundreds.

GDP: $2.109 trillion USD

GDP per capita: $20,103

Major industries: Mining, agriculture, tourism, electronics, automobiles, weapons, pharmaceuticals

Total military personnel: 340,000 Active | 400,000 Reserve

Defence expenditure (as percentage of GDP): 4.5%

Miltech claims or preferences: Mostly GE&I stuff with some Russian/Soviet.

Personal information

Writing samples: Here are some of my (vaguely) more recent ones.

Past regions: Tiandi (for this nation at least)

How did you learn about Turenn?: You sent the invite on Discord lol

What role do you want to fill in Turenn?: Regional power, possibly a Great Power but without the stability or lack of crime to make it a superpower

Preferred location on map: Off the coast of the western continent far enough to prevent too much cultural mixing early on, along the equator but with the bulk of it south of it. If possible I'd like to import my map from Tiandi onto Turenn's map, maybe expand it.

Songha
Secretary

Founded: Mar 16, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Songha » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:06 pm

why hello there kven.

Basic information
Full nation name: Imperial Federation of Songha
Shortened name: Songha
Population: 351,042,831 (dm lowering but its my current canon population.)
Government type: Absolute Monarchy
Ethnic/cultural equivalent: East Asian (Korean/Chinese influences, most of the culture is unique with vague Asian influence)
National leader(s): Empress Oumeri Seung and Premier Jung Jietsuo
Summarised history: Large area of different clans separated under different warring clans and warlords for majority of history preceding the 8th Century. From 8th Century to 13th Century, the area slowly centralises under a few different clans, one of which being the Seung Dynasty. In the 13th Century the entire country breaks out in a decades-long war, culminating in the Seung Conquest of Hyugao in 1273. Over the next few hundred years, the former regionalised groups slowly homogenise more and more, largely under the spiritual following of the Seung Dynasty, an ethnically ambiguous ruling family that's focus was on Economic Growth and Prosperity, as well as National Unity under a new Songhese Identity. The Seung Family also used their position to pivot themselves into an insanely powerful position for a single family to have, towering as one of the most powerful Families in the world to this day through their extensive networks of Shipping, Transportation, Finance as well as links to more shady businesses.
Summarised national description:
i.. kinda feel like a lot of this was summarised in my last description haha. much of the economy is nationalised, but not in a socialistic manner - more of a nationalistic manner. there are strong anti-socialist sentiments among the government after threats to the monarchy from the 40s to 70s
Summarised description of national culture:
Very egalitarian culture, the Songhese Ethnic group makes up the vast majority of the population. The only distinct ethnic group, an Indian-based subgroup, is shunned and practically forbidden from the more prosperous areas of the nation. Another ethnic group, the Beqir, an ethnic group aging back to the times of conquest and war, also still exists somewhat distinctively but not significantly so.
Language(s): Songhese

GDP: 8.840 Trillion
GDP per capita: 12,981
Major industries: Shipping, Shipbuilding, Finance
Total military personnel: 1.6 Million
Defence expenditure (as percentage of GDP):
Miltech claims or preferences: Chinese

Personal information
Writing samples: I can dig some up if you want but
Past regions: Atlas, Miyane, ect
How did you learn about Turenn?: saw it on the page lol
What role do you want to fill in Turenn?: A strong Asian Regional Power with limited amounts of influence reaching beyond the Continent, but strong influence within the Continent itself. The Family itself has extremely far reaching grips on unexpected aspects of the Global Economy.
Preferred location on map: \\
Last edited by Songha on Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Kvenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Kvenland » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:42 pm

Samanohuwa wrote:
Basic information
Full nation name: The Kingdom of the Islands of Samanohuwa

Shortened name: Samanohuwa

Population: 107,302,198

Government type: Constitutional executive parliamentary monarchy

Ethnic/cultural equivalent: Polynesia, with a dash of Majapahit (just a little), colonial Caribbean, and Viking.

National leader(s): Moa Maletola IV (King Maletola IV), Prime Minister Kuini Kipi

Summarised history:
"The Land of the Friendly Sharks", as the name of the nation and archipelago that is the Kingdom of Samanohuwa literally translates to, is a fertile and relatively new nation from a historical perspective - strong currents flow along the side facing the nearest continent in both directions, and the warm waters draw frequent storms, so much of was only colonized by humans in the third century BCE, when many other civilizations had progressed deep into the Iron Age. A network of hundreds of islands spread across thousands of square kilometers, ranging from flat and level atolls and rocky outcroppings in the east, fog-enshrined volcanic islands in the middle, quickly rising to the snowcapped tectonic massifs of Laninui in the west, the largest island by far in the nation. A combination of fertile soils, excellent timber, rare and exotic fruits and spices, and of course the large gold and iron (and centuries later, thorium) deposits ensured an excellent base from which to grow an economy from, and later a nation.

For the first several hundred years of the archipelago's history, it was little more than a collection of tribes alternately warring or forging alliances. It was Ahuahu that first started unifying the islands, and it was his unification of the island of Samanohuwa proper that is the reason why he is considered the nation's first true king. He began a long campaign of expansionism, which eventually led to Samanohuwa controlling about an eighth of the kingdom's present territory by the end of his reign in the middle of the fourth century. The next four hundred years saw periods of both slow and fast expansion, but it was under the reign of Kuitakui I that it underwent its largest expansion - reaching out to unoccupied atolls to the east and westward towards Lanuinui, where his expansion eventually halted around his fiftieth birthday.

While the differences between the other islands were relatively subtle from island to island in Samanohuwa, Lanuinui was quite different. Despite being larger than most of the others combined, it had been united for most of its existence. While the rest of Samanohuwa was predominantly of the native Samanohuwan faith (which would not be standardized until well into the fourteenth century) with some esoteric Theravadan Buddhism, Lanuinui was predominantly Hindu with more standard Theravadan Buddhism as the main religion. Samanohuwa had a single king, Lanuinui had an oligarchy of chiefs, princes, and kings. Samanohuwans often wore clothes only to protect against inclement weather or during dangerous activities (though some would even go into battle nude) unless they were priests, Lanuinuians would wear garments to protect their already worn cotton, linen, and silk clothing imported from across the sea. Lanuinui had population numbers and slightly better armor, but Samanohuwa had more soldiers, more experienced generals, and better training. Still, Kuitakui would keep appearances of peace while building up his armies and war fleets.

The conquest would go on for six long grueling years, and Kuitakui, slain by a favored general who had been tricked by a power-hungry priest, would fall on the last day of the war. The coming dawn would see the surrender of the government of Lanuinui, and for this the new (and current) capital of 'Aho'eiku was named and established, for the old one on Samanohuwa proper, Kaneloa, had been severely damaged in a storm - it would eventually serve as the judiciary capital centuries later. The massive boost in income from the gold and iron so plentiful in Lanuinui's mountains would not be enough to undo the damage caused by the war, and Samanohuwa went into several centuries of tenuous stability. There was the king operating out of 'Aho'eiku, yes, but his power was nowhere near the level that it was before the war, and much power was in petty chiefs through whom the kings delegated power to save money. During this time, Samanohuwans would grow themselves an unfortunate (but at the time well-deserved) reputation as raiders and pirates.

For thousands of kilometers around, Samanohuwan ships became feared for their raids, stealing gold, women, and just about anything not nailed down, even the men. They reached as far as northern [Western continent], taking a sizable number of slaves from there and the lands beyond via either raids or trade. It was from here that the bulk of the black and white minorities both originate, as Samanohuwan law did not allow interracial relationships even among the slave caste. The whole time, the actual government engaged in trade with the lands to the south - conveniently and easily brushing aside the rampant piracy because Samanohuwan pirates simply did not raid that far south, and Samanohuwa's gold was too good to pass up. As tactics and technology changed however, the raiding slowed, eventually stopping near the end of the eleventh century. For the next six centuries, Samanohuwa would mostly manage to stay out of trouble - having a civil war in the twelfth and sporadic attempts to colonize the mainland in the fourteenth were the largest exceptions. The power of the Moa (king/emperor/depends-on-who-you-ask) waxed and waned not unlike the tide as the nobles grew and shrank in power.

Eventually though, changing behaviors among sea tradesmen, changing politics, and a period of government weakness resulted in a rebound in piracy in an age when the whole sphere of Turenn could be navigated. For a while, Samanohuwa let it be, much to the chagrin of the greater powers. Crime or not, it brought in money and it mostly didn't impact Samanohuwa. And when it did they could show to said greater powers that the Moa was 'doing something' by arresting a few pirates that tried to take out of the government's pie - especially in regards to slaves, which Samanohuwa by then took from nearly every continent that the world had access to. Foreign pirates flocked to Samanohuwa as well because of these policies, eventually founding the third of the largest cities, Leiovaki, as a virtually lawless city where crime and chaos were rampant.

A major pirate raid against a treasure fleet owned by the governments of [colonizing nation] in the middle of the eighteenth century was the last straw. [Colonizing nation] could tolerate it no longer. The war was short, with few casualties on either side, but it was enough for [colonizing nation] to force a treaty with the Moa that in effect made them barely above a protectorate. It wasn't all bad - liberalism was brought to the Samanohuwan government by this protectorate status, as well as proper industrialization later in the nineteenth. The Kaleoali'i, the unicameral parliament of Samanohuwa, was formed in this era, universal men's suffrage for native Samanohuwans was granted in 1810, expanding to women in 1895 and all races in 1901. The economy grew further, with mines and plantations appearing alongside hotels, railways, and larger shipyards.

However, as the years wore on [colonizing nation] grew more and more controlling of Samanohuwan politics and culture. Laws regarding what clothes to wear, what food to eat, who to eat with and when (and how), who and how to vote for whom, what gods to worship and how to do so, what to celebrate, when to celebrate, and how to celebrate it, laws restricting or outright banning homosexual and polyandrous relationships, such were the Outsider Laws as they were known. Temples were torn down or repurposed for [colonizing nation]'s gods, land tenure - which had already been slowly shifting away from stewardship to ownership - was cemented as such, laws on morality and trade rights were passed and quite strongly enforced.

Like in much of the rest of the developed world, nationalism began to rise as the nineteenth century began to end. Politicians who wanted to reduce or even end outside control of Samanohuwan affairs gained popularity in the Kaleoali'i. The end of [colonizing nation]'s rule came about in 1910 during what would come to be known as the Monsoon War, as it initially started as protests over a perceived lack of aid after a severe storm damaged Leiovaki. This swelled over the course of barely two months into a full-scale rebellion, which ironically ended up gaining support within [colonizing nation] when the startling degree of corruption was shown among [colonizing nation]'s governors who controlled Samanohuwa. As a partial result, relations between [colonizing nation] and Samanohuwa warmed up quickly afterwards. Even so, the new Moa, Loka II created a new constitution with sweeping reforms that eliminated or even reversed many of the Outsider Laws. Some who had grown to approve of them attempted a rebellion (the Fourth Month Revolt) but it did not last long.

It would be important - during [whatever is closest equivalent to WWI/II and takes place after 1910], Samanohuwa became a target due to its rich iron deposits and plentiful locations for small hidden naval bases and airfields. But it held its ground, and provided great help to the Allies, even participating in later counter-invasions during the war. For its efforts, it became a founding member of [not!UN], and has secured its position as Relevant Clay. Since the end of the war, the Kaleoali'i has grown in power to be nearly equal to the Moa and the political climate has largely stabilized.

Tensions exist between the leaders of the more remote and traditionalist tribal councils of the mountains and smaller islands and the more modern-living peoples and politicians of the cities, and piracy remains a problem in the more remote fringes and places where corruption runs rampant, but the Samanohuwan Navy ensures it never becomes anything more than a regional problem in the more dangerous areas. Even on land though, crime is an occasional problem, which tends to go up during the dry seasons or when the tourism pangos stop flowing. Other problems include a decaying road and rail infrastructure in rural areas, which ranges from 'pothole farm' to 'pray it isn't raining' outside of the larger cities.

Tourism remains a major industry due to the beautiful beaches (and equally beautiful citizens), but Samanohuwa is not lacking in other fields - agriculture, mining, medical instruments, pharmaceuticals, electronics, and most notably the arms industry - the Samanohuwan military largely uses either locally-designed or locally-built equipment, especially the Navy. Culturally Samanohuwa is distinctly Samanohuwan, but there is still evidence of [colonizing nation]'s rule here and there, especially in more urban cities. Far from considering it a shame, Samanohuwa is proud of and celebrates the pirates of its past, though most don't like to talk about the more modern aspects of it unless they're actively involved in it.

Summarised national description: Samanohuwa's population is predominantly coastal. Despite its small size, it still manages to have just over 25% of that not be in areas defined by the government as 'urbanized', that is, individual CDPs designated as town or city with a population over 2500. With the population rising steadily however, this is expected to change. Ethnically speaking, a little over 70% of the population is ethnically Samanohuwan, most of the rest are [not!East Asian], [not!Slavic/Celtic/Northern European], [not!Sub Saharan African], and [not!South/Southeast Asian], in that order. All three of the cities mentioned in the History section above have a population over 5 million, with 'Aho'eiku being the largest.

On the upper end of being a middle power despite notorious problems with corruption in certain parts of the government (which Samanohuwa continues to deny), Samanohuwa is nonetheless considered one of the premiere blue-water navies in the world, due in no small part to its comparatively small army (though it does have a marine infantry force). Its economy is relatively strong for a nation of its size and is expected to grow dramatically in future years, as the economic importance of thorium - which Samanohuwa has some of the largest deposits in Turenn - grows. Samanohuwa suffers from uneven development, largely due to the aforementioned corruption. In cities, and areas where the government has a high level of control coupled with low corruption, it is among the highest in the world. In rural areas, and areas with high corruption, it is average at best, and in some areas it is firmly in the realm of 'sub-standard' as local politicians and nobles make themselves fat off the land.

Its culture experienced a surge in popularity in the middle of the last century in many countries, coinciding with the explosion of popularity of water sports (many of which either were invented or had versions invented in Samanohuwa) and the exoticness of its environment and culture, but this slowly faded. In recent years however, with the improvement of Samanohuwa's economy, interest in Samanohuwan culture has again started to grow - most notably music, history, and media. Another source of interest is motorsport - one of the first non-political the first post-independence Prime Minister did was hold an automobile grand prix in a racetrack in the mountains near 'Aho'eiku, which has since become one of the major races of Turenn's international Formula One circuit. Likewise, the many sharply-curved mountain roads - both paved and dirt - lend themselves to the development of racing cultures.

Summarised description of national culture: Samanohuwan culture revolves around the ocean and sea travel as a planet revolves around a star - understandable, as it started out as a collection of island villages, and even on Lanuinui most of the larger settlements always either had access to the sea or access to water. Culturally, many things are the same as they were before the introduction of gunpowder or writing - Samanohuwa's oral traditions have a remarkable lack of change from generation to generation, which may have played some part. Other things are lost, or have been changed to meet modern demands. Despite sizable minority populations, external influence on Samanohuwan culture is relatively low - partly due to most minorities being brought in as slaves, partly because many of the more distinctly Samanohuwan customs are enshrined in law throughout most of the country as part of the nationalist revival that immediately followed independence. As many of the more unusual features (with the distinct exception of the caste system, officially dismantled since 1951 and only present in the more remote/rural regions today) are considered 'progressive' or 'liberal' and therefore 'in' by large parts of the rest of the world, there is no sign of this changing in the foreseeable future.

Language(s): Hawaiian, Marquesan, Samoan, and Tonganese are the primary four languages, however, as Samanohuwa is a sizable archipelago the total number of languages is in the hundreds.

GDP: $2.109 trillion USD

GDP per capita: $20,103

Major industries: Mining, agriculture, tourism, electronics, automobiles, weapons, pharmaceuticals

Total military personnel: 340,000 Active | 400,000 Reserve

Defence expenditure (as percentage of GDP): 4.5%

Miltech claims or preferences: Mostly GE&I stuff with some Russian/Soviet.

Personal information

Writing samples: Here are some of my (vaguely) more recent ones.

Past regions: Tiandi (for this nation at least)

How did you learn about Turenn?: You sent the invite on Discord lol

What role do you want to fill in Turenn?: Regional power, possibly a Great Power but without the stability or lack of crime to make it a superpower

Preferred location on map: Off the coast of the western continent far enough to prevent too much cultural mixing early on, along the equator but with the bulk of it south of it. If possible I'd like to import my map from Tiandi onto Turenn's map, maybe expand it.

Accepted.

Songha wrote:why hello there kven.

Basic information
Full nation name: Imperial Federation of Songha
Shortened name: Songha
Population: 681,042,831 (dm lowering but its my current canon population.)
Government type: Absolute Monarchy
Ethnic/cultural equivalent: East Asian (Korean/Chinese influences, most of the culture is unique with vague Asian influence)
National leader(s): Empress Oumeri Seung and Premier Jung Jietsuo
Summarised history: Large area of different clans separated under different warring clans and warlords for majority of history preceding the 8th Century. From 8th Century to 13th Century, the area slowly centralises under a few different clans, one of which being the Seung Dynasty. In the 13th Century the entire country breaks out in a decades-long war, culminating in the Seung Conquest of Hyugao in 1273. Over the next few hundred years, the former regionalised groups slowly homogenise more and more, largely under the spiritual following of the Seung Dynasty, an ethnically ambiguous ruling family that's focus was on Economic Growth and Prosperity, as well as National Unity under a new Songhese Identity. The Seung Family also used their position to pivot themselves into an insanely powerful position for a single family to have, towering as one of the most powerful Families in the world to this day through their extensive networks of Shipping, Transportation, Finance as well as links to more shady businesses.
i.. kinda feel like a lot of this was summarised in my last description haha. much of the economy is nationalised, but not in a socialistic manner - more of a nationalistic manner. there are strong anti-socialist sentiments among the government after threats to the monarchy from the 40s to 70s
Very egalitarian culture, the Songhese Ethnic group makes up the vast majority of the population. The only distinct ethnic group, an Indian-based subgroup, is shunned and practically forbidden from the more prosperous areas of the nation. Another ethnic group, the Beqir, an ethnic group aging back to the times of conquest and war, also still exists somewhat distinctively but not significantly so.
Language(s): Songhese

GDP: 8.840 Trillion
GDP per capita: 12,981
Major industries: Shipping, Shipbuilding, Finance
Total military personnel: 1.6 Million
Defence expenditure (as percentage of GDP):
Miltech claims or preferences: Chinese

Personal information
Writing samples: I can dig some up if you want but
Past regions: Atlas, Miyane, ect
How did you learn about Turenn?: saw it on the page lol
What role do you want to fill in Turenn?: A strong Asian Regional Power with limited amounts of influence reaching beyond the Continent, but strong influence within the Continent itself. The Family itself has extremely far reaching grips on unexpected aspects of the Global Economy.
Preferred location on map: https://i.imgur.com/2qerHQh.png

Accepted pending a plot change and a population halving.

-Eku-
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby -Eku- » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:24 pm

Basic information

Full nation name: Ilú-ọba Lákèlá

Shortened name: Lákèlá

Population: 63,906,150

Government type: Unitary Constitutional Monarchy

Ethnic/cultural equivalent: I'm drawing from yoruba for language, and the west african sahel ethnically with yorubaland/oyo influence

National leader(s): The Head of State is titled as the Alaafin, the ceremonial elective monarch of Lakela. The Bashorun is the Head of the Lakela Mesi and acts like a Head of Government. The Oluwo is Head of the Ogbani, the national religious authority of Lakela. Finally, there is the Agbọrọsọ ti Ijọ, Speaker of the Electoral Assembly.

Summarised history: Since ancient times the area of modern Lakela was occupied by rising and falling empires, indigenous and foreign empires which had come from across the sea. By the 8th century, when the Lakela would cross the Okhayo Mountains, various peaceful city-states oriented on trade thrived along the coast. The subsequent Scourge of the Lakela would see their people spread and occupy the cities, dividing into new Clans and styling themselves as feuding Kings of these cities by the 10th century.

The Lakela Kingdoms, after centuries of infighting, united in a loose confederation by the 13th century. In the 14th century however, Emperor Olusun would unite all the Kingdoms under his wrathful conquest, and form an empire with the mastery of administration, establishing the first Electoral Council. His daughter, Empress Temilu, would lead conquest across the sea after succeeding him, and claiming her 'rightful throne' against the wishes of the Electoral Council, in the 16th century. Where the Empire would control cross-sea trade and rule greater access to goods from the south, such as advanced firearms, spices and more. It was around this time Lakela made greater contact in the south for the first time.

The Olusun Empire of Lakela would spread further, consolidating much of its modern territory and ruling with a great navy, competing and warring with the likes of Anatjulu for territory/colonies in several theatres. The Olusun Empire would come to an end in the late 18th century, when the Gbemsola Caste would overthrow the Olusun Caste in a brutul civil war. Where administrative and imperial reforms would take place, with the introduction of the Ogboni Institution and opening of the Electoral Assembly, only composed of higher caste orders at the time.

The Gbemsola Empire would soon fragment after the Ogboni would divide in a schism soon after its formation, during this period of civil war the Gbemsola would lose much its territory and the shortlived dynasty would end in the early 18th century. During which a revolution would bring about a series of systematic changes and the rise of a new Alaafin who would impose them in order to sustain the monarchy and unite the country once more. These reforms took place after a series of bloody uprisings for much of the century, with pressure from foreign empires in competition with Lakela.

The reforms expanded the Assembly to encompass more caste, creating the Electoral Assembly and eventually, at the turn of the century, dismantled the political power of the nobility and Alaafin. Social movements had also pushed for further participatory representation in government, as well as upward mobility in the caste ladder, accessible through a strong unitary government with an equilibrium of power between the Ogboni, Lakela Mesi and Ijo(Assembly).

Summarised national description: Lakela uses the Aje Walo system, a form of Lakelan federalism based on unitary participatory democracy. Aje Walo governance highlights the importance, in Lakelan society, of an equilibrium between different parts of society. The lines between society, economy and government are especially blurred, as all are seen as interconnected, thus the participatory nature of democracy under Lakela's cultural context.

The strata system serves as a basis for governance and social cohesion across the country, ingrained within the government structure and culture. Historically, Lakela has always had caste systems which play into governance, they were deterministic and bolstered the nobility, however the modern Caste system is less restrictive than it's historical ancestors and promotes an upward/downward mobility strata ladder based on merit, with importance placed on all caste of society. These caste play an important role in the Legislature, as each strata will choose their own representative Electorates to attend the Assembly. The Lakela strata is mostly occupational across different income brackets, many have expanded today into 'Caste Genre', which as opposed to historical niches, encompasses fields of occupation and economic industries, anything from brackets of ''Information Technology'' to caste of ''Construction'', usually small confederations of niche strata.

Decisions through the Electorate Assembly is done in a semi-direct way. Caste Unions(the small confederations) will elect an Elector, then each sub-caste(niches) will elect their own direct representatives. These representatives are privy to the Elector, and they must consent to every vote the Elector gives in issues and legislation, if they do not consent then the Elector must abstain. Sometimes, the representatives may call for a direct vote on an issue from their constituents to overpower the Elector's vote, this also calls a snap election for the Elector.

The Ighame is basically like a national church, or temple rather, which bolsters the monarchy and is supposed to keep in check the government. It is often considered a secretive holy order, which mostly has elder matriarchs who are highly influential in business, religion and politics. The Bajurun is comparable to a head of state like a prime minister, leading the Electoral Council, a council of experts and officials who are elected into office by the Electoral Assembly and choose a Bajurun among themselves. The Council also chooses a new Munalin(monarch), who the Ighame must approve of. The Munalin, by law, must be selected from one of the six noble wards across the country. The Munalin mostly serves a ceremonial purpose with emergency powers.

Summarised description of national culture: Lakelan's are often thought of as adventurous, bold and swash-bucklers with a taste for adventure. Lakelan's are also quite prideful of where they come from to a fault. As Lakela contains bustling and large economic metro-centers, the country is also exploding with a colorful landscape of culture and influence, having inherited the propensity to adapt and localize foreign customs into their culture. Social stratification plays a large part in Lakelan culture as well, it is seen as a fact of life and essential, on a religious and political level.

Language(s): Jagu

GDP: 2.2 trillion
GDP per capita: 34,428
Major industries: telecommunications, mass media, finance, information technology, chemical, mining
Total military personnel: 320k
Defence expenditure (as percentage of GDP): 2.5%
Miltech claims or preferences: none particularly, just gonna appropriate whatever fits the context

Personal information
Writing samples: most recently this viewtopic.php?f=5&t=461736
Past regions: Turenn v1.0, TIO, Audax, Teria, The Western Isles, Ajax
How did you learn about Turenn?: i know a guy
What role do you want to fill in Turenn?: I imagined Lakela has having alot of prestigious clout for its history and high development, while lacking the hitting power of larger nations. Maybe an international middle-man or leader in some ways.
Preferred location on map: https://i.imgur.com/vZqrH3h.png
Last edited by -Eku- on Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

New Kvenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Kvenland » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:29 pm

-Eku- wrote:
Basic information

Full nation name: Ájènlé mwāÉkū

Shortened name: Eku

Population: 63,906,150

Government type: Unitary Constitutional Monarchy

Ethnic/cultural equivalent: Ethnically I'm drawing from yoruba and east african cultures(as well as some sahelian), i'm developing a conlang inspired by a mix of swahili and yoruba. Not pan-african though, creating one culture with this.

National leader(s): The Head of State is titled as the Munalin, the ceremonial elective monarch of Eku. The Bajurun is the Head of the Electoral Council and acts like a Head of Government. The Awuno is Head of the Ighame, the national religious authority of Eku. FInally, there is the Amenjen, the Head/Speaker of the Electoral Assembly.

Summarised history: Since ancient times the area of modern Eku was occupied by rising and falling empires, indigenous and foreign empires which had come from across the sea. By the 8th century, when the Eku would cross the Okhayo Mountains, various peaceful city-states oriented on trade thrived along the coast. The subsequent Scourge of the Eku would see their people spread and occupy the cities, dividing into new Clans and styling themselves as feuding Kings of these cities by the 10th century.

The Eku Kingdoms, after centuries of infighting, united in a loose confederation by the 13th century. In the 14th century however, Emperor Muza Abasi would unite all the Kingdoms under his wrathful conquest, and form an empire with the mastery of administration, establishing the first Electoral Council. His daughter, Empress Muza Majda, would lead conquest across the sea after succeeding him, and claiming her 'rightful throne' against the wishes of the Electoral Council, in the 16th century. Where the Empire would control cross-sea trade and rule greater access to goods from the south, such as advanced firearms, spices and more. It was around this time Eku made greater contact in the south for the first time.

The Muzan Empire of Eku would spread further, consolidating much of its modern territory and ruling with a great navy, competing and warring with the likes of Anatjulu for territory/colonies in several theatres. The Muzan Empire would come to an end in the late 18th century, when the Kwelendi Caste would overthrow the Muza Caste in a brutul civil war. Where administrative and imperial reforms would take place, with the introduction of the Ighame Institution and opening of the Electoral Assembly, only composed of higher caste orders at the time.

The Kwelendi Empire would soon fragment after the Ighame would divide in a schism soon after its formation, during this period of civil war the Kwelendi would lose much its territory and the shortlived dynasty would end in the early 18th century. During which a revolution would bring about a series of systematic changes and the rise of a new Munalin who would impose them in order to sustain the monarchy and unite the country once more. These reforms took place after a series of bloody uprisings for much of the century, with pressure from foreign empires in competition with Eku.

The reforms expanded the Assembly to encompass more caste, creating the Electoral Assembly and eventually, at the turn of the century, dismantled the political power of the nobility and Munalin. Social movements had also pushed for further partipatory representation in government, as well as upward mobility in the caste ladder, accessible through a strong unitary government with an equilibrium of power between the Ighame, Assembly and Council.

Summarised national description: Eku uses the Aje Walo system, a form of Ekuan federalism based on unitary participatory democracy. Aje Walo governance highlights the importance, in Ekuan society, of an equilibrium between different parts of society. The lines between society, economy and government are especially blurred, as all are seen as interconnected, thus the participatory nature of democracy under Eku's cultural context.

The strata system serves as a basis for governance and social cohesion across the country, ingrained within the government structure and culture. Historically, Eku has always had caste systems which play into governance, they were deterministic and bolstered the nobility, however the modern Caste system is less restrictive than it's historical ancestors and promotes an upward/downward mobility strata ladder based on merit, with importance placed on all caste of society. These caste play an important role in the Legislature, as each strata will choose their own representative Electorates to attend the Assembly. The Ekuan strata is mostly occupational across different income brackets, many have expanded today into 'Caste Genre', which as opposed to historical niches, encompasses fields of occupation and economic industries, anything from brackets of ''Information Technology'' to caste of ''Construction'', usually small confederations of niche strata.

Decisions through the Electorate Assembly is done in a semi-direct way. Caste Unions(the small confederations) will elect an Elector, then each sub-caste(niches) will elect their own direct representatives. These representatives are privy to the Elector, and they must consent to every vote the Elector gives in issues and legislation, if they do not consent then the Elector must abstain. Sometimes, the representatives may call for a direct vote on an issue from their constituents to overpower the Elector's vote, this also calls a snap election for the Elector.

The Ighame is basically like a national church, or temple rather, which bolsters the monarchy and is supposed to keep in check the government. It is often considered a secretive holy order, which mostly has elder matriarchs who are highly influential in business, religion and politics. The Bajurun is comparable to a head of state like a prime minister, leading the Electoral Council, a council of experts and officials who are elected into office by the Electoral Assembly and choose a Bajurun among themselves. The Council also chooses a new Munalin(monarch), who the Ighame must approve of. The Munalin, by law, must be selected from one of the six noble wards across the country. The Munalin mostly serves a ceremonial purpose with emergency powers.

Summarised description of national culture: Ekuan's are often thought of as adventurous, bold and swash-bucklers with a taste for adventure. Ekuan's are also quite prideful of where they come from to a fault. As Eku contains bustling and large economic metro-centers, the country is also exploding with a colorful landscape of culture and influence, having inherited the propensity to adapt and localize foreign customs into their culture. Social stratification plays a large part in Ekuan culture as well, it is seen as a fact of life and essential, on a religious and political level.

Language(s): Kieku

GDP: 2.2 trillion
GDP per capita: 34,428
Major industries: telecommunications, mass media, finance, information technology, chemical, mining
Total military personnel: 320k
Defence expenditure (as percentage of GDP): 2.5%
Miltech claims or preferences: none particularly, just gonna appropriate whatever fits the context

Personal information
What role do you want to fill in Turenn?: I imagined Eku has having alot of prestigious clout for its history and high development, while lacking the hitting power of larger nations. Maybe an international middle-man or leader in some ways.
Preferred location on map: https://i.imgur.com/vZqrH3h.png

You're an admin so I don't really need to do this, but accepted.

-Eku-
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby -Eku- » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:10 am

as an admin i pre-approve this, it is connected to another app to made by someone else soon

Basic information

Full nation name: Tēpetlān Tlāhtōlloyān (Confederation of Tepetlan)

Shortened name: Tepetlan

Population: 124,578,000 (suppose to be ultra dense)

Government type: Kalpuli Confederation

Ethnic/cultural equivalent: I'm using mesoamerican as a base, particularly Nahua(the aztecs)

National leader(s): The Weiak Ikpali, Meuksok, and her scheming politburo

Summarised history: The Yuētlak people first arrived on what they call Weī Tlālwāhktli, in the 10th century or much earlier by sea(?). The Yuetlak were famously known as a hearty seafaring people who took hold in the Tona Bay Isles upon their first arrival. From this base, they expanded to Weī Tlālwāhktli, and settled across the island. This is where the name Tēpetlān came into relevance, meaning among the mountains, referencing their sprawling terrace farm-based city-states. With advanced sailing techniques, the Yuetlak settled expansively in temporary trade settlements up the Tepatlalwēuk(the entire island chain as the Yuētlak know it), making contact with the continents and taking advantage of the fruitful trade gained from it. The Yuetlak city-states traded in many valuables, such as chocolate and other spices hailing from their fertile, prosperous volcanic island, Wei Tlalwahktli.

The feuding kings of Tepetlan, known as the Tlahtoani, would eventually be united under the thassolocratic, theocracy of the Tepetlan Empire(known natively as Tlahketilī Āltepētl - United Cities), with their Emperor titled as Weī Tlahtoāni. The Empire would be confederate in nature, a common trend throughout Yuetlak history, organized into varying levels of social class and rulership over cities and smaller localities. The decentralized and sprawling empire, which had vast influence across the island chain, would never be able to conquer or match the ever innovative and advanced Uacusecharhu, a centralized kingdom which had opposed the Yuetlak.

After [emperor whoevers death] the Empire went into decline over succession and the Tepetlan atlepetl entered an era of feuding, where various cities were abandon and others were conquered. The Daxong Republic, composed of two formerly warring states who united during a new rising nationalist scourge, posed an extreme threat as did Uacusecharhu to the north, who was rapidly industrializing in their own light.

Many wars ensued, against internal rebellions and primarily the Uacusecharhu. After successive losing wars, the Yuetlak populous would rebel, and a spiritual and political enlightenment had fully come to fruition and in the mid-19th century. Yuetlak nationalism spread like wildfire across the land, led by a communistic ideology known as Uemanism, named after a rebellious and populist former Tlahtoani, Uemanili, who had denounced his faith and title. It would see Tepetlan unite under one flag, but completely dismantle the institutions of the atlepetl and tlahtoani in a bloody and decisive revolution.

This loose confederation, in Yuetlak fashion, would regain a dominant regional foothold to hold back Uacusecharhu and Daxong, however in the onslaught of nationalist upheaval across the land, Yopha people of the north, backed by Uacusecharhu would rebel in their own cause, to uplift themselves from Tepetlan subjugation. More wars ensued, crossing over into the 20th century, where Tepetlan would boast a large population and massive agricultural industry. Each one ended in stalemate, with the winds of change sweeping over the land, politically, economically and socially.

Summarised description of national culture: (i thank vnik for most of these ideas) Since the Uemanist revolution, Tepetlan has been united in this common idealogy. At the lowest level of governance is the Kalpuli, also called the Great Houses, collective organizations of workers, tradesmen and farmers within cities and on the rural country side. Kalpuli are usually composed of varying occupations, especially the larger ones. They all get equal representation in the National Assembly, by electing representatives to it. These representatives in-turn elect a Weiak Ikpali(High Seat), as Secretary of the Confederation. The High Seat has historically... been a rather authoritarian position. The politiburo has always been full of intrigue with unchecked power, with rises of dominant populist figures.

The Yuētlak themselves who occupy Tepetlan are an immensely proud people. They cherish a heavily modified and bias version of their histories and stand proudly with an obstructing bravado. They hate for their neighbors and fervor to spread the glorious Uemanist revolution fuels their unapologetic nationalism. That's not to say they are each fiercely independent individuals. There is a deep sense of rivalry within Tepetlan, with the competing Kalpuli always at each others necks. Today, the Kalpuli have even gone as far as developing their own tribal identities, with interest pitted against each other. Corruption runs high in Tepetlan and it is viewed as typical, valid and expected. Thus the nature of the Confederation.

Language(s): Nawa(lingua franca) - dozens of regional langs

GDP: 1.516 trillion
GDP per capita: 12,172
Major industries: industrial agriculture, food processing, textiles, chemicals, mining, electronics, shipbuilding
Total military personnel: 820k
Defence expenditure (as percentage of GDP): 8%

Personal information
What role do you want to fill in Turenn?: Competing with local countries and posing an international issue at times maybe. Countries from around the world can either support it or support its adversary, Uacusecharhu(to be apped by vnik soon) and its puppets around Tepetlan. Its a huge boogie-man essentially, made important by its bustling industry and strategic position.
Preferred location on map: https://i.imgur.com/gZ9Xj4k.png the purple or blue whatever in the middle is Tepetlan, the orange is Uacusecharhu, beside it in light green is Yopha, and the south in yellow is Daxong, ignore the rest.
Last edited by -Eku- on Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

Uacusecharhu
Civilian

Founded: Mar 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Uacusecharhu » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:06 pm

Basic information
Full nation name: Republic of Uacúsecharhu
Shortened name: Uacúsecharhu
Population: 68 millions
Government type: Unitary Presidential Republic
Ethnic/cultural equivalent: Purépecha
National leader(s): K’erikarari (often translated as "Director" or "President") Acuitzi Hapini
Summarised history: The specific origins of the Uacusecha is hard to tell. Their language, Chiuandani, is an isolate unrelated to the other speech and dialects of Mesonesia. The current area occupied by mankind since at least 3000 BCE, with stone utensils of that period being uncovered. Nonetheless, it would stay under-developed until the installation of early Nahuas people in that area after the Great Migrations. However, they were quickly pushed back, conquered, or exterminated, by the early Uacusecha people, which is the first time they were recorded in history. By 1350, the Uacusecha were in complete control of what would become the “core” of their kingdom and launched further expansion until they were halt by the growing Tepetlan in the 15th century.

The following era was one of permanent conflict with the Nahuas, be it open warfare or cold war. Renown metallurgists and bureaucrats, the Uacusecha created a centralized state with an efficient communication network, a permanent army, and many institutions all under the control of the Ireche, which allowed them to defend their borders against a vastly more populous Tepetlan, and even defeat and conquer the allies of said confederation that threatened the western border of Uacusecharhu in 1649.

Despite or because of this, the concept of the “Tepeticpac Republicanism” became popular among the populations and elites of the Uacusecha society after the conquest of the Tepeticpac Republic by the Nahuas Federation. Ultimately, this led to the Civil War of 1680. The first dynasty of kings was deposed in favour of a new king considered more “liberal”. This king was himself executed after a scandal, and replaced by various republicans regimes, working either through a “Senate” or by a smaller board of “Directors”. This republican period ended with the “restoration of 1720”. This restoration was also short-sighted with the last king being forced to abdicate in 1815. The new republic created thereafter had learned from the mistakes of its predecessors and survived to the current days.

A country of excellent metallurgists, Uacusecharhu was the starting point of Mesonesia’s industrial revolution, opening the state to the rest of the world like never before, which was not without consequences like the “Plague” of 1766 that ravaged the country. But ultimately, it brought much needed wealth to the people and revenues to the State.

Recently, the rising popularity of Nationalisms in Mesonesia open new options for Uacusecharhu, a country far more homogeneous when it comes to its population than its rivals and neighbors. It’s conflict with Tepetlan still exist, reinforced by centuries of grudges and what is considered to be “a clash of civilization and culture between Uacusecharhu and Tepetlan”.

Summarised national description: Today Uacusecharhu is a Presidential Republic, with all executive powers in the hand of the K’erikarari which serve as Head of the Government. Legislative powers are shared between two assemblies, generally translated as the “Diet”, with the seating representatives of the country’s provinces, as the Lower House, and the “Senate”, a 100 men court serving as the Upper House of the country. This division of power is inherited from its past experiences as a republic, and influenced by the “Tepeticpac Ideal” which is still a powerful underlying principle of the Uacusecharhu society.
The country is stuck in an active rivalry with its larger neighbor which became an important factor in the country’s foreign policies.
Like the rest of Mesonesia, most of the people live in an urban environment, with only a tiny minority of the population living in a countryside greatly reduced in size by the constraints of an island environment. The absolute majority (90%) of the population is of “Uacusecha” ethnicity, what’s left being shared between Otomi, various Nawas ethnies, or other groups of people with origin from or outside of Mesonesia.

Summarised description of national culture: Common cliches on the Uacusecha generally focus on their supposed rigidity, conservatism, efficiency, and pyromaniacal tendencies. All of these are greatly exaggerated, but have some form of truth to them. The latter, for example, is generally explain by the Henotheistic religion greatly focusing on fire, and a special rule of their national sport, the Uárukua Ch'anakua, a form of hockey, which allow for night games by setting the ball on fire.
The Uacusecha culture greatly contrast that of the rest of Mesonesia : its language, Chiuandani, is an isolate with sounds and grammar uncommon in the rest of the region. Even if they did adopt Tepetlan script in the 17th century. It’s architectural styles developed in the isolation of the Northern Peninsula, making Uacusecha cities easily distinguishable even to this day, with specific sights like the Yacatas, their round-pyramids with one or multiple rectangular extensions. They did not, and still don’t, use the Mesonesian ritual calendar of 260 days, using only the solar calendar. Ballgames, with the exception of Uarukua Ch’anakua, are not very popular in the country.
Auandasïndani, the official name of the country’s religion meaning “Link to Heaven”, is also different to that of the traditional Mesonesian religions : it has no “feather-snake divinity” or rain god even in its earlier stages. Cauricaueri is the central figure of this religion and has evolve from a fire and sun god to a representation of “the Flame”, a Uacusecharhu which was variously interpreted as the soul of the universe, the immaterial flame giving energy to the rest of creation, or Primordial Life. All of these interpretations are almost correct, but incomplete on their owns. Auandasïndani also has an important pantheon of more minor gods, generally all orbiting around Cauricaueri, but they have lost in importance in the past two or three centuries. Foreign observers have generally divided Mesonesian religions into various “sects” or “cults”, with the most famous being the “Colibri Cult” centered around the worship of Huitzlipochtli, and the “Snake Cult”, around Quetzalcoatl. The same observers have sometime classified Auandasïndani as the “Fire Cult”, something that is strongly debated among scholars and religious authorities alike, some considering it diverge too widely from the “common socle” to be considered as one of the Mesonesian cults.

Language(s): As said before, Chiaundani is a language isolate, spoken almost exclusively in Uacusecharhu where it’s the maternal language of around 95% of the population. Attempt to link it to any other known language has been, so far, unsuccessful. Unlike most other languages that are considered polysynthetic, it has no noun compounding or incorporation. The language is exclusively suffixing and has a large number of suffixes (as many as 160) and clitics. The verb distinguishes 13 aspects and 6 modes. Word order is flexible, and can change for pragmatic purposes such as focus or topic tracking.

GDP: 2,72 trillions
GDP per capita: 40,000 USD
Major industries: telecommunication, Motor vehicles, consumer goods, machine tools, non ferrous metals, steel, naval construction
Total military personnel: 360,000 actives
Defence expenditure (as percentage of GDP): 2,1%
Miltech claims or preferences: None for now

Personal information
Writing samples: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=35487502&sid=55d62d8cc6d815bd72bc39c5bf1b6b5a#p35487502 https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=449510
Past regions: Esquarium, Ajax
How did you learn about Turenn?: I blame Gad
What role do you want to fill in Turenn?: Like Gad explained, Uacusecharhu and Tepetlan are two local "poles" competing against each others. a source of tension for both their local area and the rest of the world, if they ever feel like meddling in Mesonesians businesses.
Preferred location on map: https://i.imgur.com/1wVTer3.png with the orange blob to the north being Uacusecharhu.

-Eku-
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby -Eku- » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:47 pm

Uacusecharhu wrote:
Basic information
Full nation name: Republic of Uacúsecharhu
Shortened name: Uacúsecharhu
Population: 68 millions
Government type: Unitary Presidential Republic
Ethnic/cultural equivalent: Purépecha
National leader(s): K’erikarari (often translated as "Director" or "President") Acuitzi Hapini
Summarised history: The specific origins of the Uacusecha is hard to tell. Their language, Chiuandani, is an isolate unrelated to the other speech and dialects of Mesonesia. The current area occupied by mankind since at least 3000 BCE, with stone utensils of that period being uncovered. Nonetheless, it would stay under-developed until the installation of early Nahuas people in that area after the Great Migrations. However, they were quickly pushed back, conquered, or exterminated, by the early Uacusecha people, which is the first time they were recorded in history. By 1350, the Uacusecha were in complete control of what would become the “core” of their kingdom and launched further expansion until they were halt by the growing Tepetlan in the 15th century.

The following era was one of permanent conflict with the Nahuas, be it open warfare or cold war. Renown metallurgists and bureaucrats, the Uacusecha created a centralized state with an efficient communication network, a permanent army, and many institutions all under the control of the Ireche, which allowed them to defend their borders against a vastly more populous Tepetlan, and even defeat and conquer the allies of said confederation that threatened the western border of Uacusecharhu in 1649.

Despite or because of this, the concept of the “Tepeticpac Republicanism” became popular among the populations and elites of the Uacusecha society after the conquest of the Tepeticpac Republic by the Nahuas Federation. Ultimately, this led to the Civil War of 1680. The first dynasty of kings was deposed in favour of a new king considered more “liberal”. This king was himself executed after a scandal, and replaced by various republicans regimes, working either through a “Senate” or by a smaller board of “Directors”. This republican period ended with the “restoration of 1720”. This restoration was also short-sighted with the last king being forced to abdicate in 1815. The new republic created thereafter had learned from the mistakes of its predecessors and survived to the current days.

A country of excellent metallurgists, Uacusecharhu was the starting point of Mesonesia’s industrial revolution, opening the state to the rest of the world like never before, which was not without consequences like the “Plague” of 1766 that ravaged the country. But ultimately, it brought much needed wealth to the people and revenues to the State.

Recently, the rising popularity of Nationalisms in Mesonesia open new options for Uacusecharhu, a country far more homogeneous when it comes to its population than its rivals and neighbors. It’s conflict with Tepetlan still exist, reinforced by centuries of grudges and what is considered to be “a clash of civilization and culture between Uacusecharhu and Tepetlan”.

Summarised national description: Today Uacusecharhu is a Presidential Republic, with all executive powers in the hand of the K’erikarari which serve as Head of the Government. Legislative powers are shared between two assemblies, generally translated as the “Diet”, with the seating representatives of the country’s provinces, as the Lower House, and the “Senate”, a 100 men court serving as the Upper House of the country. This division of power is inherited from its past experiences as a republic, and influenced by the “Tepeticpac Ideal” which is still a powerful underlying principle of the Uacusecharhu society.
The country is stuck in an active rivalry with its larger neighbor which became an important factor in the country’s foreign policies.
Like the rest of Mesonesia, most of the people live in an urban environment, with only a tiny minority of the population living in a countryside greatly reduced in size by the constraints of an island environment. The absolute majority (90%) of the population is of “Uacusecha” ethnicity, what’s left being shared between Otomi, various Nawas ethnies, or other groups of people with origin from or outside of Mesonesia.

Summarised description of national culture: Common cliches on the Uacusecha generally focus on their supposed rigidity, conservatism, efficiency, and pyromaniacal tendencies. All of these are greatly exaggerated, but have some form of truth to them. The latter, for example, is generally explain by the Henotheistic religion greatly focusing on fire, and a special rule of their national sport, the Uárukua Ch'anakua, a form of hockey, which allow for night games by setting the ball on fire.
The Uacusecha culture greatly contrast that of the rest of Mesonesia : its language, Chiuandani, is an isolate with sounds and grammar uncommon in the rest of the region. Even if they did adopt Tepetlan script in the 17th century. It’s architectural styles developed in the isolation of the Northern Peninsula, making Uacusecha cities easily distinguishable even to this day, with specific sights like the Yacatas, their round-pyramids with one or multiple rectangular extensions. They did not, and still don’t, use the Mesonesian ritual calendar of 260 days, using only the solar calendar. Ballgames, with the exception of Uarukua Ch’anakua, are not very popular in the country.
Auandasïndani, the official name of the country’s religion meaning “Link to Heaven”, is also different to that of the traditional Mesonesian religions : it has no “feather-snake divinity” or rain god even in its earlier stages. Cauricaueri is the central figure of this religion and has evolve from a fire and sun god to a representation of “the Flame”, a Uacusecharhu which was variously interpreted as the soul of the universe, the immaterial flame giving energy to the rest of creation, or Primordial Life. All of these interpretations are almost correct, but incomplete on their owns. Auandasïndani also has an important pantheon of more minor gods, generally all orbiting around Cauricaueri, but they have lost in importance in the past two or three centuries. Foreign observers have generally divided Mesonesian religions into various “sects” or “cults”, with the most famous being the “Colibri Cult” centered around the worship of Huitzlipochtli, and the “Snake Cult”, around Quetzalcoatl. The same observers have sometime classified Auandasïndani as the “Fire Cult”, something that is strongly debated among scholars and religious authorities alike, some considering it diverge too widely from the “common socle” to be considered as one of the Mesonesian cults.

Language(s): As said before, Chiaundani is a language isolate, spoken almost exclusively in Uacusecharhu where it’s the maternal language of around 95% of the population. Attempt to link it to any other known language has been, so far, unsuccessful. Unlike most other languages that are considered polysynthetic, it has no noun compounding or incorporation. The language is exclusively suffixing and has a large number of suffixes (as many as 160) and clitics. The verb distinguishes 13 aspects and 6 modes. Word order is flexible, and can change for pragmatic purposes such as focus or topic tracking.

GDP: 2,72 trillions
GDP per capita: 40,000 USD
Major industries: telecommunication, Motor vehicles, consumer goods, machine tools, non ferrous metals, steel, naval construction
Total military personnel: 360,000 actives
Defence expenditure (as percentage of GDP): 2,1%
Miltech claims or preferences: None for now

Personal information
Writing samples: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=35487502&sid=55d62d8cc6d815bd72bc39c5bf1b6b5a#p35487502 https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=449510
Past regions: Esquarium, Ajax
How did you learn about Turenn?: I blame Gad
What role do you want to fill in Turenn?: Like Gad explained, Uacusecharhu and Tepetlan are two local "poles" competing against each others. a source of tension for both their local area and the rest of the world, if they ever feel like meddling in Mesonesians businesses.
Preferred location on map: https://i.imgur.com/1wVTer3.png with the orange blob to the north being Uacusecharhu.

Approved my man
Last edited by -Eku- on Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nilehkola
Civilian

Founded: Apr 03, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nilehkola » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:10 pm

Basic information
Full nation name: All-People’s Alliance of Hanuna
Shortened name: Nilehkola (ni-le-hk-ol-e, “friends live here”)
Population: 28 million (~33/sq km)
Government type: Republic (non-democratic)
Ethnic/cultural equivalent: Thíthuŋwaŋ (Lakota), Salish
National leader(s):
  • Chatan Dacotah, Senior Investee of the Fraternal Order of Radiant Sun (Head of State)
  • Matoskah Takoda, Chanunpate of the Councils (Head of Government)
  • Wahkan Wambleeska Wicasa, Great Wakhanya
Summarised history:

Nilehkola was inhabited 15,000 years ago by migrating peoples from Nukua. The plains region was divided into a large number of states of wildly varying sizes from the enormous empire called the Radiance of the Sun, to tiny independent hamlets such as Hunkpapa. After the introduction of horses following the turn of the millenium, a sharp divide developed between the interior semi-nomadic peoples and the coastal, seafaring peoples who had once been the most powerful groups on the plains.

Transcontinental trade by land allowed the world to bypass the exorbitant fees and common treachery of the coastal peoples and forever shifted the balance of power inland to the fraternities of the Thithkungwang Nation. A sophisticated network of permanent “refreshment villages” sprang up throughout the interior, overseen by the semi-nomadic aristocracy. Refreshment villages mostly provided new horses to caravans crossing the continent and their vast herds could allow a caravan to move enormous distances without stopping to rest horses.

During the industrial revolution, the disparate coastal nations and competing interior nations, were forced to unify into order to construct railroads and connect them to ports on the coast. Beginning with the All-People’s Rail & Port Authority, the central government of Nilehkola was developed with the primary intent of facilitating trade, but the scope of the state was drastically changed with the advent of air-power. While sea and ground transportation remained constant pillars of industry, several financial scares shook the nation to its core. The modern nation emerged from these troubled times as guarantor of essential services and protector of rights rather than a merely commercial enterprise.

Nilehkola is a plains nation populated by a plains people. The most numerous and wealthiest groups are those whose fortunes were connected with the early horse trade or the construction of the railroad, almost all of which are members of the Thithkungwang majority. While there are several coastal cities of import, they are also dominated by the Thithkungwang, with only a small remnant of the great Salish peoples. The Thithkungwang fraternities form quasi-governmental institutions, which are typically closed to the Salish and difficult to access for the Aglicans. Representatives to the central government are mostly drawn from these fraternities, also the Salish and Aglicans have been guaranteed representation on the All-Peoples Council. The Fraternal Order of the Radiant Sun is an aristocratic institution which represents the people of noble birth. Because of their undue sway in policy matters, the Radiant Sun was elevated or set apart from the normal councils and instead are given broad powers to negotiate on behalf of the state.

Apart from the normal institutions of government are the Wakhanate, a religious order of clerics who ensure that those who are in leadership positions adhere to the correct forms of behavior and ritual. The Great Wakhanya is the supreme leader of the organization and is appointed for a life term by his own special fraternity of peers. The most common kind of involvement from the Wakhanya is to censure a public official and assign them some rite of recompense for their violation of the “public ethic,” which is generally understood to mean the Thithkungwang people’s collected body of oral traditions. The cultural police of the Great Wakhanya are fearsome force in Nilehkola, but they also act as a defacto court of appeal for any citizen who feels that their rights have been violated.

The dominant culture of the Thithkungwang is mostly focused on the tribe as an institution and the greater national culture has developed from a need to promote oneself within the community. First and foremost among these traditions is the fraternity. There are many fraternities with many purposes in Nilehkola, most middle-class citizens with a healthy social life would be a member of three or four organizations. In general, fraternities can be divided into social organizations, professional associations, and educational associations. A well-rounded individual should maintain all three kinds of connections, but because fraternities are very expensive, poorer citizens can typically only afford their professional status.

Religious traditions are comparable across most of the plains peoples, but the preeminence of the Thithkungwang rites have pushed Salish and Algican beliefs to the periphery. The most important figure in Thithkungwang culture is the Ptesángwing, a prophetess who has periodically appeared to the people to impart her secret knowledge of human spirit (as well as many physical gifts). Shrines to Ptesángwing are found in nearly every settlement and the most popular portrayal of her is a white statuette of a woman seated with hands outstretched in an act of giving.

Many people enjoy equestrianism and marksmanship as traditional sports, but these have been steadily eroded by the popularity of televised arena sports. Large quantities of tobacco are consumed, much to the detriment of public health, but the government has struggled to reduce smoking rates. While most of the population is literate, the most popular form of literature is performative, while written literature is seen merely as a good way to learn performance material.

Language(s): Salish (coastal), Siouan-Catawban (interior), Algic minority

Economic & military information
GDP: 476 billion
GDP per capita: 17,000
Major industries: Insurance, Tanning
Total military personnel: 12,000 active
Defence expenditure (as percentage of GDP): .25%
Miltech claims or preferences:

Personal information
Writing samples: The Sebexah’s Chapel
Past regions:
  • Ajax
  • The Forgotten Lands
  • Greater Dienstad
  • Global Powers
How did you learn about Turenn?: It was foreseen.
What role do you want to fill in Turenn?: Historically a vital point of international trade, as sea-routes became more viable, however, they have grown to depend on their financial services sector.
Preferred location on map: North-central southern continent
Last edited by Nilehkola on Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Eku-
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby -Eku- » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:02 am

Nilehkola wrote:
Basic information
Full nation name: All-People’s Alliance of Hanuna
Shortened name: Nilehkola (ni-le-hk-ol-e, “friends live here”)
Population: 28 million (~33/sq km)
Government type: Republic (non-democratic)
Ethnic/cultural equivalent: Thíthuŋwaŋ (Lakota), Salish
National leader(s):
  • Chatan Dacotah, Senior Investee of the Fraternal Order of Radiant Sun (Head of State)
  • Matoskah Takoda, Chanunpate of the Councils (Head of Government)
  • Wahkan Wambleeska Wicasa, Great Wakhanya
Summarised history:

Nilehkola was inhabited 15,000 years ago by migrating peoples from Nukua. The plains region was divided into a large number of states of wildly varying sizes from the enormous empire called the Radiance of the Sun, to tiny independent hamlets such as Hunkpapa. After the introduction of horses following the turn of the millenium, a sharp divide developed between the interior semi-nomadic peoples and the coastal, seafaring peoples who had once been the most powerful groups on the plains.

Transcontinental trade by land allowed the world to bypass the exorbitant fees and common treachery of the coastal peoples and forever shifted the balance of power inland to the fraternities of the Thithkungwang Nation. A sophisticated network of permanent “refreshment villages” sprang up throughout the interior, overseen by the semi-nomadic aristocracy. Refreshment villages mostly provided new horses to caravans crossing the continent and their vast herds could allow a caravan to move enormous distances without stopping to rest horses.

During the industrial revolution, the disparate coastal nations and competing interior nations, were forced to unify into order to construct railroads and connect them to ports on the coast. Beginning with the All-People’s Rail & Port Authority, the central government of Nilehkola was developed with the primary intent of facilitating trade, but the scope of the state was drastically changed with the advent of air-power. While sea and ground transportation remained constant pillars of industry, several financial scares shook the nation to its core. The modern nation emerged from these troubled times as guarantor of essential services and protector of rights rather than a merely commercial enterprise.

Nilehkola is a plains nation populated by a plains people. The most numerous and wealthiest groups are those whose fortunes were connected with the early horse trade or the construction of the railroad, almost all of which are members of the Thithkungwang majority. While there are several coastal cities of import, they are also dominated by the Thithkungwang, with only a small remnant of the great Salish peoples. The Thithkungwang fraternities form quasi-governmental institutions, which are typically closed to the Salish and difficult to access for the Aglicans. Representatives to the central government are mostly drawn from these fraternities, also the Salish and Aglicans have been guaranteed representation on the All-Peoples Council. The Fraternal Order of the Radiant Sun is an aristocratic institution which represents the people of noble birth. Because of their undue sway in policy matters, the Radiant Sun was elevated or set apart from the normal councils and instead are given broad powers to negotiate on behalf of the state.

Apart from the normal institutions of government are the Wakhanate, a religious order of clerics who ensure that those who are in leadership positions adhere to the correct forms of behavior and ritual. The Great Wakhanya is the supreme leader of the organization and is appointed for a life term by his own special fraternity of peers. The most common kind of involvement from the Wakhanya is to censure a public official and assign them some rite of recompense for their violation of the “public ethic,” which is generally understood to mean the Thithkungwang people’s collected body of oral traditions. The cultural police of the Great Wakhanya are fearsome force in Nilehkola, but they also act as a defacto court of appeal for any citizen who feels that their rights have been violated.

The dominant culture of the Thithkungwang is mostly focused on the tribe as an institution and the greater national culture has developed from a need to promote oneself within the community. First and foremost among these traditions is the fraternity. There are many fraternities with many purposes in Nilehkola, most middle-class citizens with a healthy social life would be a member of three or four organizations. In general, fraternities can be divided into social organizations, professional associations, and educational associations. A well-rounded individual should maintain all three kinds of connections, but because fraternities are very expensive, poorer citizens can typically only afford their professional status.

Religious traditions are comparable across most of the plains peoples, but the preeminence of the Thithkungwang rites have pushed Salish and Algican beliefs to the periphery. The most important figure in Thithkungwang culture is the Ptesángwing, a prophetess who has periodically appeared to the people to impart her secret knowledge of human spirit (as well as many physical gifts). Shrines to Ptesángwing are found in nearly every settlement and the most popular portrayal of her is a white statuette of a woman seated with hands outstretched in an act of giving.

Many people enjoy equestrianism and marksmanship as traditional sports, but these have been steadily eroded by the popularity of televised arena sports. Large quantities of tobacco are consumed, much to the detriment of public health, but the government has struggled to reduce smoking rates. While most of the population is literate, the most popular form of literature is performative, while written literature is seen merely as a good way to learn performance material.

Language(s): Salish (coastal), Siouan-Catawban (interior), Algic minority

Economic & military information
GDP: 476 billion
GDP per capita: 17,000
Major industries: Insurance, Tanning
Total military personnel: 12,000 active
Defence expenditure (as percentage of GDP): .25%
Miltech claims or preferences:

Personal information
Writing samples: The Sebexah’s Chapel
Past regions:
  • Ajax
  • The Forgotten Lands
  • Greater Dienstad
  • Global Powers
How did you learn about Turenn?: It was foreseen.
What role do you want to fill in Turenn?: Historically a vital point of international trade, as sea-routes became more viable, however, they have grown to depend on their financial services sector.
Preferred location on map: North-central southern continent

accepted

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information