NATION

PASSWORD

Witch-hunting in Your Nation

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]
User avatar
The Land of the Ephyral
Diplomat
 
Posts: 568
Founded: Jun 03, 2016
Moralistic Democracy

Witch-hunting in Your Nation

Postby The Land of the Ephyral » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:22 pm

Disclaimer: This survey is not about the modern political witch-hunt, the tactic to weaken political opposition through an alleged attempt to unveil subversive activity, but regarding the pursuit and trial and killing of those believes to be witches.

Witch-hunting has existed for millennia. The Code of Hammurabi, one of the oldest ancient law codes in existence dating back to the early 2nd millennium BC, makes reference to a man casting a spell upon another man, and proscribing the sentence of death upon the spell-caster following a trial by water (the person upon whom the spell was allegedly cast could also be executed if this trial concluded a different result).

In the Early to Late Middle Ages, many individuals (primarily) women were accused of witchcraft and executed in a variety of ways following trials by fire, water, and others; often rigged to produce the desired result of guilt, with mob justice following in the form of burning the 'witch' alive, hanging them, or beheading them, assuming the 'witch' did not die from the trial itself.

In Sub-Saharan Africa, extrajudicial killings of those considered witches occur quite frequently, and both Saudi Arabia and Cameroon have anti-witchcraft legislation. A mob in Kenya in 2008 burned 11 people accused of witchcraft, and recently in West Africa, a trend of publicly lynching those accused of using magic to make one's penis non-functional has grown and seen over 300 killings so far.

This survey will tackle the concept of witchcraft, its historical relevance if any, prosecution, and contemporary situation in your nations. Due to the variety of manners in which witchcraft was interpreted, and who was to be the practitioner, the common concept of the female witch is to be eschewed from this survey. Witch will refer to an alleged practitioner of magic or arts considered evil or dangerous, regardless of sex.

In the event these questions fail to adequately cover the topic for some interested parties, a custom response in addition to or in place of the questions provided is encouraged, and the below questions should be treated as a topic guide as opposed to a mandatory response.

No statistics are being recorded from this survey nor any list compiled.




Code: Select all
[b]Regardless of historical prevalence, as all nations have typically heard of witches even if none existed within them, how does your society and cultural trend define witchcraft and witches?[/b]

[b]At any point in your nation's history has there existed a cultural or religious concept of witchcraft and witches?[/b]

[b]If not, with what regard did or do your people view those perceived to have been otherwise spiritually enhanced, such as wisefolk, witch-doctors, shamans, priests, or others?[/b]

[b]If so, was witchcraft subject to social distrust and the alleged practitioners of witchcraft subject to a pursuit and killing, either by mob or by law?[/b]

[b]Do the killings of alleged witches continue into the present day, however this is defined by your nation's canon, either legally or extra-judicially?[/b]

Ephyra is a work of my own political and philosophical views fused with deliberate values dissonance for my own entertainment.

User avatar
Saranidia
Minister
 
Posts: 3018
Founded: Sep 14, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Saranidia » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:32 pm

Regardless of historical prevalence, as all nations have typically heard of witches even if none existed within them, how does your society and cultural trend define witchcraft and witches?

At any point in your nation's history has there existed a cultural or religious concept of witchcraft and witches: practices involving attempts to gain knowledge of the unseen and other claimed powers that only Allah has a true and rightful claim to. Pre-Islamically it refered to the "ability" to control or "know" "fate "

If not, with what regard did or do your people view those perceived to have been otherwise spiritually enhanced, such as wisefolk, witch-doctors, shamans, priests, or others?

If so, was witchcraft subject to social distrust and the alleged practitioners of witchcraft subject to a pursuit and killing, either by mob or by law?: after Islam it was viewed with distrust as deceit via Satan's powers but believed to have some effectiveness.
now the government believe it is not effective but says that claims or attempts to know the unseen or gain other powers which only Allah has claim to is a serious sin and an aggravated form of fraud unless it is someone's religious beliefs and not a business in which case it comes under freedom of religion.


Do the killings of alleged witches continue into the present day, however this is defined by your nation's canon, either legally or extra-judicially?: there are no
killings of alleged witches as most of the population are educated and the government says they will prosecute such killings and punish them severly if they occur.
Mostly represents my views but what I think a Middle Eastern nation should do which will be sometimes different to what I think a western nation should do(because the people have different needs in different places)


RIP grandpa kitchen

User avatar
A m e n r i a
Minister
 
Posts: 3250
Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby A m e n r i a » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:53 am

Regardless of historical prevalence, as all nations have typically heard of witches even if none existed within them, how does your society and cultural trend define witchcraft and witches?

Witchcraft is defined as the act of entering a deal with spirits for certain gains. Witches are those who practice witchcraft.

At any point in your nation's history has there existed a cultural or religious concept of witchcraft and witches?

See above answer

If not, with what regard did or do your people view those perceived to have been otherwise spiritually enhanced, such as wisefolk, witch-doctors, shamans, priests, or others?

-

If so, was witchcraft subject to social distrust and the alleged practitioners of witchcraft subject to a pursuit and killing, either by mob or by law?

Only since Islam and Christianity came into our continent.

Do the killings of alleged witches continue into the present day, however this is defined by your nation's canon, either legally or extra-judicially?

Since witchcraft is a crime punishable by death, witches are to be executed. However, the government doesn't actively hunt them down and only punishes those who harms others with their magic. This is because if the government hunts witches, the fallout would cause a major conflinct between the governments of the world and the magical community, potentially causing a war deadlier than the three world wars.

User avatar
Eassex
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 11
Founded: Nov 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Witch-hunting in Eassex

Postby Eassex » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:11 am

Regardless of historical prevalence, as all nations have typically heard of witches even if none existed within them, how does your society and cultural trend define witchcraft and witches?
    “Witches” are the female equivalent of wizards. Witches and wizards are persons who can perform feats of a magical nature, such as casting spells and performing rituals with magical results though the use of a wand, staff, or through other means.
At any point in your nation's history has there existed a cultural or religious concept of witchcraft and witches?
    Yes. Witches and wizards have existed since time immemorial. Magic exists in our world, and is a tangible thing that can mechanically be utilised and controlled. There are natural laws that govern magic.
If not, with what regard did or do your people view those perceived to have been otherwise spiritually enhanced, such as wisefolk, witch-doctors, shamans, priests, or others?
    Not applicable
If so, was witchcraft subject to social distrust and the alleged practitioners of witchcraft subject to a pursuit and killing, either by mob or by law?
    Some eras of history are known to have been dangerous for magical folk and practitioners of magic. Mob killings were common before the industrial revolution thanks to monotheistic bigotry and zealous religious attitudes. In the modern era, practitioners of magic are protected like any other citizen and are treated as such. They’re not legally or socially disadvantaged.
Do the killings of alleged witches continue into the present day, however this is defined by your nation's canon, either legally or extra-judicially?
    The killing of practitioners of magic still occurs in Africa, the Middle East and other less developed and religiously fanatical regions. Magical oppression is a legal reason to seek refuge and become a refugee.
The State of Eassex / Ēassāchīse Stāt

“When people say that the values of Islam are compassion, tolerance, and freedom, I look at reality, at real cultures and governments, and I see that it simply isn’t so. People in the West swallow this sort of thing because they have learned not to examine the religions or cultures of minorities too critically, for fear of being called racist. It fascinates them that I am not afraid to do so.”
Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Infidel


User avatar
Silver Commonwealth
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1342
Founded: Aug 16, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Silver Commonwealth » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:26 am

Regardless of historical prevalence, as all nations have typically heard of witches even if none existed within them, how does your society and cultural trend define witchcraft and witches? ''In SC, women with magic powers are viewed as witches, especially those with evil magic powers. Men with magic powers are called as Wizards.''

At any point in your nation's history has there existed a cultural or religious concept of witchcraft and witches? ''SC came into existence only by 50ties, and by then, witches and withcraft were largely dismissed as charlatanism. However, in past, way before SC's rise to power, witches, and withcraft were taken seriously.''

If not, with what regard did or do your people view those perceived to have been otherwise spiritually enhanced, such as wisefolk, witch-doctors, shamans, priests, or others? ''Depends on the region. Between indigenous peoples across the world, those people were, and still are held with a great respect, and they have a big authority in regional governments. That said, despite the high popularity of occultism, and Christian mysticism in SC, those people aren't treated that well in places like US megastates outside the reservations, or the Federation. However, they are still popular even there.''

If so, was witchcraft subject to social distrust and the alleged practitioners of witchcraft subject to a pursuit and killing, either by mob or by law? ''In past, yes, but it was long time ago. Now, SC mostly dismisses reports of witchcraft as false.''

Do the killings of alleged witches continue into the present day, however this is defined by your nation's canon, either legally or extra-judicially? ''Not really, as most of our populace doesn't believe in witches anymore, despite being deeply religious, and having a large percentage of occultists in our ranks.''
✥ ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴡꜱ ✥
- ꜱɴɴ
- ᴀʀᴄʜɪᴠᴇ
✉ ʀᴀɴᴅᴏᴍ ✉
- ᴀᴅᴍɪɴɪꜱᴛʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴ
- ꜱᴛᴏʀɪᴇꜱ
⚒ ᴛʜᴇ ʟᴇɢɪᴏɴᴀʀʏ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ᴏʀᴅᴇʀ ᴏꜰ ꜱɪʟᴠᴇʀ ᴄᴏᴍᴍᴏɴᴡᴇᴀʟᴛʜ ⚒
|☐ʜᴏᴍᴇ☐|❖ꜱᴄ ɪɴ ʜᴏɪ4❖|★ꜱᴄ'ꜱ ʀᴀᴅɪᴏ&ʟᴏᴄᴀᴛɪᴏɴꜱ★|❇ᴄᴏɴꜱᴛɪᴛᴜᴛɪᴏɴ❇|✧ᴍɪʟɪᴛᴀʀʏ✧|✝ᴍᴀᴘꜱ&ɪɴꜰᴏ✝|☢ʜɪꜱᴛᴏʀʏ☢|
⚖ ɪɴ ᴀ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ᴅᴏᴍɪɴᴀᴛᴇᴅ
ʙʏ ʀᴀᴅɪᴄᴀʟꜱ, ᴇᴠᴇɴ ᴀ ꜰᴏʀᴍᴇʀ ᴍᴏᴅᴇʀᴀᴛᴇ ꜰɪɢʜᴛꜱ ʙᴀᴄᴋ ☠
_[][][][][][][L'''][Σ][][~][][][]_
̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\(▀_(▀_(▀_(▀_(▀_(▀_(▀_▀)_▀)_▀)_▀)_▀)_▀)_▀)/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿

Scored even lower in 2nd democracy index, rn at the very bottom, lol

Current flag is in preparation for next season. And no, I don't believe in NWO, or any similar conspiracy

SC ĐØɆ₴₦'₮ ⱤɆ₱ⱤɆ₴Ɇ₦₮ ₥Ɏ VłɆ₩₴

A socdem who dislikes most other centrists ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

User avatar
Valehart
Attaché
 
Posts: 85
Founded: Nov 13, 2018
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Valehart » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:46 am

(Please note that witchcraft in Valehart is mostly ceremonial and does not interfere with its FT-FTL focus. This is just like a Harry Potter rip-off thing, yet it doesn't affect the world around it physically).

Regardless of historical prevalence, as all nations have typically heard of witches even if none existed within them, how does your society and cultural trend define witchcraft and witches?
Witchcraft is generally performed by those born with it, separating the outside witchcraft-less world from the magical realm. Witches are mostly referred to when speaking to feminine persons, although it has devolved into a more gender neutral term over the century(s).

At any point in your nation's history has there existed a cultural or religious concept of witchcraft and witches?
Technology has always been evolving rapidly through Valehart, and with it, so did the prospects of people finding technological advances magical, almost god-like even. VR, holographic displays, AI, universal translators, etc. However, it's only recently where the magical realm has made normal contact with the outside world. The High Court is comprised entirely out of sorcerers, who keep the peace of the nation. Laws of nature, laws of science, and laws of conscience applies to this magic system. It is highly unknown and safely kept away.

If not, with what regard did or do your people view those perceived to have been otherwise spiritually enhanced, such as wisefolk, witch-doctors, shamans, priests, or others?
N/A

If so, was witchcraft subject to social distrust and the alleged practitioners of witchcraft subject to a pursuit and killing, either by mob or by law?
No, not at all in fact. The First Sorceress, the highest ranking order of all of the republic federation, is practically the backbone of the nation's history and it's culture. It does NOT however, interfere with much of the physical/magic-sensitive world. Old stigmas from hundreds of years ago aren't from Valehart, as it went the opposite direction back then, and pursued killings of non-magical entities.

Do the killings of alleged witches continue into the present day, however this is defined by your nation's canon, either legally or extra-judicially?
Unfortunately yes. No figures can be made though, since all judicial courts treat all killings equally.
Last edited by Valehart on Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Federal Republic of Valehart | Visit the Valehart homepage for more info

A space faring, FT-FTL federation. Glory to the Republic! | Other nations └ CronicaBNL CorporationMedallionElvectica (Undergoing retcon) └ Freilibre (Retired)
“Europe! Our traditions, our culture, are once again being threatened! In this new wave of discovery and discorce, we look to the stars, hand in hand. (...) To defeat the American conspirators is not only our right, but our destiny. Through hardship, to the stars!”
—A Call To Arms, Unknown, ACU (2201)

The WIKIverse | └ Valehart's Wiki

User avatar
Cameroi
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15510
Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby Cameroi » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:55 am

Regardless of historical prevalence, as all nations have typically heard of witches even if none existed within them, how does your society and cultural trend define witchcraft and witches?

the same as any and all religious groups and organizations. And enjoy the same protection under the law from attacks against them which are considered acts of terrorism.

At any point in your nation's history has there existed a cultural or religious concept of witchcraft and witches? psionicists have been known throughout our nations history and that of its predicesors.

If not, with what regard did or do your people view those perceived to have been otherwise spiritually enhanced, such as wisefolk, witch-doctors, shamans, priests, or others? some as meritorious, some as fortunate. Of course, if they actually use their special gifts to commit criminal acts, this is treated like any other act of crime.

If so, was witchcraft subject to social distrust and the alleged practitioners of witchcraft subject to a pursuit and killing, either by mob or by law? just the opposite.

Do the killings of alleged witches continue into the present day, however this is defined by your nation's canon, either legally or extra-judicially? no more so then prejudical attacks agains any other religions or ideological organizations.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

User avatar
Radiatia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7758
Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Radiatia » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:05 am

Regardless of historical prevalence, as all nations have typically heard of witches even if none existed within them, how does your society and cultural trend define witchcraft and witches? 99.9% think it's a joke, however there are a small number of nomadic tribes living in the far north who still give credence to such ideas.

At any point in your nation's history has there existed a cultural or religious concept of witchcraft and witches? Yes, but it's always been confined to the aforementioned nomadic tribes

If not, with what regard did or do your people view those perceived to have been otherwise spiritually enhanced, such as wisefolk, witch-doctors, shamans, priests, or others? It's actually illegal to make such claims in Radiatia, and there have been cases of tribal witchdoctors being arrested for promoting unscientific beliefs.

If so, was witchcraft subject to social distrust and the alleged practitioners of witchcraft subject to a pursuit and killing, either by mob or by law? Not really - but those who believe in it were purged by the communists during that era and very few survivors remain.

Do the killings of alleged witches continue into the present day, however this is defined by your nation's canon, either legally or extra-judicially? "Witch-hunting" in Radiatia has a more literal meaning - it refers to people who find tribal witches in the far north and hunt them like game, with guns, in the woods. In most (but not all) states this is illegal, and it's especially illegal if the tribesmen were documented Radiatian citizens - however in some parts of the country, it's fair game.
Last edited by Radiatia on Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Great Nortend
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1190
Founded: Jul 08, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:11 am

Regardless of historical prevalence, as all nations have typically heard of witches even if none existed within them, how does your society and cultural trend define witchcraft and witches?
Witchcraft is defined as the invocation of or communing with or conjuration of evil, familiar or malignant spirits, or the practice of sorcery, conjuration and enchantment. Witches are thought of as practitioners of witchcraft who have made a pact with the Devil to carry out his orders.
At any point in your nation's history has there existed a cultural or religious concept of witchcraft and witches?
Yes, witchcraft and witches have been in Nortan culture for many centuries.
If so, was witchcraft subject to social distrust and the alleged practitioners of witchcraft subject to a pursuit and killing, either by mob or by law?
Witchcraft is illegal under the Witchcraft Act 24 Will. I. The prescribed punishment is burning, however this has been since 1705 commuted to exorcism, prayer, fasting and repentence.
Do the killings of alleged witches continue into the present day, however this is defined by your nation's canon, either legally or extra-judicially?
No, witches are not killed anymore. Convictions for actual witchcraft are very rare, and witchcraft and magic are popular topics of fiction.
Last edited by Great Nortend on Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
News from Great Nortend: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417866
Tourism and Q&A thread: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=458726
Diplomacy, Embassies &c.: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417865
If you have any questions about Great Nortend, please ask in the diplomacy thread above.

This nation generally represents my personal views in most areas, though slightly exaggerated perhaps.

User avatar
Medwedian Democratic Federation
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1257
Founded: May 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Medwedian Democratic Federation » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:08 am

Regardless of historical prevalence, as all nations have typically heard of witches even if none existed within them, how does your society and cultural trend define witchcraft and witches? Witchcraft and sorcery (Vedeming) are now negative terms associated with anything that is "unexplainable to the speaker". It includes the usage of incomprehensible technology and "tricks" on the one hand and heresy or adherence to illegal religions on the other hand.

At any point in your nation's history has there existed a cultural or religious concept of witchcraft and witches? The original concept of "witchcraft" (Vedeming) came from the Slavic and Uralic tribes that settled the area presently known as Medwedia, but was quickly overshadowed by the mythology of the arriving Vikings. At first, "sorcery" was not seen as negative per se, but it gained its heretical status after the arrival of Christianity from Byzantine.

If not, with what regard did or do your people view those perceived to have been otherwise spiritually enhanced, such as wisefolk, witch-doctors, shamans, priests, or others? They see them as allies of Satan or as devils themselves. Witches and sorcerers are antagonists in folk tales.

If so, was witchcraft subject to social distrust and the alleged practitioners of witchcraft subject to a pursuit and killing, either by mob or by law? It still is.

Do the killings of alleged witches continue into the present day, however this is defined by your nation's canon, either legally or extra-judicially? Sorcery is prohibited according to the articles §167-172 of the Federal Criminal Code (and is more closely described in the Reformed Federal Anti-Sorcery Law of 1966). "Practicioners of the undue, evil and un-Christian arts" and "satanic charlatans" are to be subjected to a water trial or "other tortures and medical procedures" at the judge's and interrogator's decision and to be executed by burning at the stake, boiling or acid bath.

In 2018, there were 7726 convictions and executions of "sorcery". 4499 persons executed under this law were women. More than 90 percent of the executed resided outside of cities, most being farmers, serfs, slaves, asocials or lesser tradespeople.

Generally, this law is used primarily for "getting rid" of personal enemies as denunciation and accusation of "witchcraft" is fairly easy and no witnesses are required. Rural police and Nationalsigerhedsministeriet (National Security Ministry) units use it as a "blanket law" for quick killings. It is enough to report "a neighbor's wrong facial expression" to "have him executed", says a representative of Human Rights Watch, but "accusations of wrongly singing the national anthem or not bowing properly before the portrait of the president" are "much more effective".
Last edited by Medwedian Democratic Federation on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Hrythingia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 747
Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hrythingia » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:17 am

Regardless of historical prevalence, as all nations have typically heard of witches even if none existed within them, how does your society and cultural trend define witchcraft and witches? Witches are old, usually single women living outside of society and are involved with some sort brewing and concocting. They may have frequent visitors and desperate people may go to them when the doctors and prayers do not seem to help.

At any point in your nation's history has there existed a cultural or religious concept of witchcraft and witches? Yes, on going

If not, with what regard did or do your people view those perceived to have been otherwise spiritually enhanced, such as wisefolk, witch-doctors, shamans, priests, or others?

If so, was witchcraft subject to social distrust and the alleged practitioners of witchcraft subject to a pursuit and killing, either by mob or by law? Law and mob. They would often be rounded up by the mob then brought to an Shire-Reeve for trial and subsequent execution. Usually sentenced to burn at the stake.

Do the killings of alleged witches continue into the present day, however this is defined by your nation's canon, either legally or extra-judicially? Convicted witches may face up to ten years in solitary confinement, but any charges where they have exposed someone to Satanic arts and deeds will result in being hung till dead.
The Wielderdom of Hrythingia
Þæs Ƿealdaríċe Hrýðinglondes

State type: Semi-Elective Monarchy
Leader: Earl Wynmar II of The Ashwold, Hrythwealda
Capital: Ernburh
Language: Hrystic (Old English)
Religion: Catholicism
Characteristics: Isolationist, mercantile, conservative, rural, deeply religious
Industries: sheep/beef agriculture, fishing, offshore oil, financial services
Britonnis nati, Anglis Dei Gratia! A Catholic Conservative Briton, Late Antiquities Student and Reservist Officer in training. Interests: hunting, rugby, choral music, history, literature, linguistics and alcohol.

Ar i Dduw, er mwyn fy Ngheidwad, Roddi i mi galon lân.

Se Þræd Eald Englisċes

User avatar
Justosia
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 64
Founded: Sep 06, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Justosia » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:31 am

The Empire of ardently Protestant. National Justos Episcop Church. Witch hunting was outlawed roughly a century tho. Today they're just condemned & ostracized.
The Holy Kingdom of Justosia
HRM King Carlos Francisco II
His Excellency PM Jean Blount

User avatar
Hystaria
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 499
Founded: Jul 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hystaria » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:36 am

Regardless of historical prevalence, as all nations have typically heard of witches even if none existed within them, how does your society and cultural trend define witchcraft and witches? Well, not really, we used , A LONG TIME AGO, that loki tricked people by possessing them if they fail to catch him

At any point in your nation's history has there existed a cultural or religious concept of witchcraft and witches?Ancient

If not, with what regard did or do your people view those perceived to have been otherwise spiritually enhanced, such as wisefolk, witch-doctors, shamans, priests, or others? Weird hermits,that we care for.

If so, was witchcraft subject to social distrust and the alleged practitioners of witchcraft subject to a pursuit and killing, either by mob or by law? Nope.

Do the killings of alleged witches continue into the present day, however this is defined by your nation's canon, either legally or extra-judicially?Nope, thats murder
A [Tier:9 Level:1 Type:9
Power Comparator: (see below)5.2, according to this index.

(Please quote me in forums to find your response, please, that would be nice.)
Trade with me, trade without Idelogys harming us, Money doesn't care what side you are on.
i swear my eternal service to the lasaga lord and wish to spread it to all i meet .
[spoiler= Official Allies]Bolkenia
Kowani wrote:Hystaria. They’re both edgy, but only one of them is a special kind of edgy.

I dont use NS states, I use factbooks.

User avatar
Old Northwest
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 139
Founded: Oct 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Old Northwest » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:14 pm

Regardless of historical prevalence, as all nations have typically heard of witches even if none existed within them, how does your society and cultural trend define witchcraft and witches?
For a brief time during the colonization, Amarian women were considered to be "witches" or "deadfemmes." They were called this due to their quote unquote "stealthy nature" and "thievish look."
At any point in your nation's history has there existed a cultural or religious concept of witchcraft and witches?
Not really. Abramist holy texts speak of the "unholy breasts," which are similar, but are culturally and religiously separate from "witches" as a concept.
If not, with what regard did or do your people view those perceived to have been otherwise spiritually enhanced, such as wisefolk, witch-doctors, shamans, priests, or others?
See above for "women that are morally repugnant and beyond healing, often using devilish powers," but otherwise in Amarian culture wisefolk (referred to as such) are usually medicinal doctors and use a surprising amount of science, even before advanced medical procedures. Eastern culture often venerates the "holy man," which is a man that embodies the principles of Abram "with harmony, peace, and defense."
If so, was witchcraft subject to social distrust and the alleged practitioners of witchcraft subject to a pursuit and killing, either by mob or by law?
N/A
Do the killings of alleged witches continue into the present day, however this is defined by your nation's canon, either legally or extra-judicially?
Not in Old Northwest, and it is strictly illegal (even for all forms of "spiritual madness"). Despite this, religious killing is frequent in Abramsland and some other mega-religious areas of Amaria.
The Proletarian Dictatorship of Old Northwest
De omnibus dubitandum //☭ // Let the ruling classes tremble
HOME | OVERVIEW | QNA | POLICIES | NEWS
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

User avatar
Zhouran
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7722
Founded: Feb 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Zhouran » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:20 am

Regardless of historical prevalence, as all nations have typically heard of witches even if none existed within them, how does your society and cultural trend define witchcraft and witches? Witchcraft and witches themselves are foreign concepts to the Zhouranese, the closest Zhouranese equivalent are called sorcery and sorcerers/sorceress

At any point in your nation's history has there existed a cultural or religious concept of witchcraft and witches? Yes, the idea of shamanism, sorcery, theurgy, and divination are tied to the Zhouranese indigenous religion Spiritual Mandate

If so, was witchcraft subject to social distrust and the alleged practitioners of witchcraft subject to a pursuit and killing, either by mob or by law? Benevolent sorcery has always been widely accepted, ambivalent sorcery on the other hand has a neutral reception while malevolent sorcery is seen as evil

Do the killings of alleged witches continue into the present day, however this is defined by your nation's canon, either legally or extra-judicially? No, back in ancient and medieval times, anyone who was accused of doing malevolent sorcery would be publicly executed
rip Asigna & Neo Philippine Empire. did da big oof.
2013 - 2019
this account probs
dead in future. rip.

User avatar
Quovar
Attaché
 
Posts: 89
Founded: Feb 21, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Quovar » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:24 am

Witchcraft is a capital offence in Quovar. In the old days, strong-willed women were often accused of being witches, usually by their husbands. The woman was arrested and given a fair trial. Since many people were afraid of witches, the accuser was allowed to pay witnesses to testify against her. The woman, of course was gagged so she couldn't cast spells on the court. The witch was allowed to ask for a lawyer, but they never did, possibly because they were already gagged. The witches were nearly always found guilty and executed.

User avatar
Luziyca
Post Czar
 
Posts: 35114
Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:37 pm

Regardless of historical prevalence, as all nations have typically heard of witches even if none existed within them, how does your society and cultural trend define witchcraft and witches? At best, with amusement, at worst as a vile sin.

At any point in your nation's history has there existed a cultural or religious concept of witchcraft and witches? Yeah, the Middle Ages.

If not, with what regard did or do your people view those perceived to have been otherwise spiritually enhanced, such as wisefolk, witch-doctors, shamans, priests, or others? Pretty negatively.

If so, was witchcraft subject to social distrust and the alleged practitioners of witchcraft subject to a pursuit and killing, either by mob or by law? Yes.

Do the killings of alleged witches continue into the present day, however this is defined by your nation's canon, either legally or extra-judicially? No.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
[22:00] <Lanos> nobody here in ESQ should be proud to be somehow remotely related to Luziyca
IIwikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for four years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

User avatar
Victorious Decepticons
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8201
Founded: Sep 15, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Victorious Decepticons » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:44 am

Regardless of historical prevalence, as all nations have typically heard of witches even if none existed within them, how does your society and cultural trend define witchcraft and witches? Witches are differentiated from psychics, magicians, and similar practitioners by their willful association with the entity known on Earth as Satan or the Devil.

At any point in your nation's history has there existed a cultural or religious concept of witchcraft and witches? There is no such native concept. The idea was learned about by studies of Earth prior to the Invasion. Those studies also revealed that the definition of witchcraft had undergone some expansion attempts, most notably by Wiccans, but we prefer to go by the older and more-established definition. After all, when people call an unlikable or manipulative person a "witch," they aren't talking about a pink-haired girl who's afraid of the mythical Threefold Law!

If not, with what regard did or do your people view those perceived to have been otherwise spiritually enhanced, such as wisefolk, witch-doctors, shamans, priests, or others? Non-witch psychics are of great interest to our scientific community, and we even have a special ops unit in the Military trained in such arts.

If so, was witchcraft subject to social distrust and the alleged practitioners of witchcraft subject to a pursuit and killing, either by mob or by law? Oh, definitely! There are several reasons for this:

1. Satan is well-known for possessing people. Translated to our normal parlance, this means that he's a lousy no-good hacker. We despise hackers of all sorts. We do not care that "spiritual hacking" supposedly uses different means to do it - we only care about the intended end result. Witches willingly work with and for this lousy no-good hacker, so they are to be destroyed.

2. Because Satan is a lousy no-good hacker, any Decepticon who works with him is his easiest target. In short, the witch is likely to get hacked if its code hasn't already been compromised. A hacked Decepticon is the puppet of its hacker, so must be considered an enemy agent.

3. Only an idiot would work with someone with such a reputation for hacking!! We tend to throw people who are at that level of stupidity into the smelting pit for being "too dumb to be a Decepticon."

4. Satan is a rebel, and under the Decepticon Government, any rebel of ANY non-democratic government is considered tainted and the enemy. This is because someone who is a dissident against one dictatorship will almost surely continue to be one under ours (regardless of the reasons they give for their original dissent). Therefore, anyone who works with Satan is considered to be aiding and abetting a known rebel - in other words, the witch would officially be guilty of high treason.

5. Megatron is the god of the Megatronist religion. He won't brook any competition attempts.

Do the killings of alleged witches continue into the present day, however this is defined by your nation's canon, either legally or extra-judicially? Yes, we would delete any that we found. Fortunately, Decepticons are not really stupid enough to work with an entity well-known for hacking (possessing) anyone and everyone who is foolish enough to mistake him for a partner or ally. Therefore, we haven't actually found any Decepticons who are guilty of this.

There are some biologicals in lands that we've conquered who have been discovered practicing witchcraft. These were not discovered by inane methods like the ducking stool, but instead, it is typically done by the discovery of physical evidence such as magical props, Satanic literature, and similar things. A few of us are naturally psychic enough to detect them, too, and when this happens, a good blasting comes next.

Despite this, witchcraft convictions or lynchings are rare. When we conquer an area, we summarily stamp out all native beliefs - and importantly, prevent the transfer of knowledge of them to subsequent generations - and replace them with our own. This makes it so the problem stops reoccurring very quickly.
No war RPs; no open RPs.

Explosive .50 cal shells vs. Decepticons: REAL, IRL PROOF the Decepticons would laugh at them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeVTZlNQfPA
Newaswa wrote:What is the greatest threat to your nation?
Vallermoore wrote:The Victorious Decepticons.

Bluquse wrote:Imperialist, aggressive, and genociding aliens or interdimensional beings that would most likely slaughter or enslave us
rather than meet up to have a talk. :(

TurtleShroom wrote:Also, like any sane, civilized nation, we always consider the Victorious Decepticons a clear, present, and obvious threat we must respect, honor, and leave alone in all circumstances. Always fear the Victorious Decepticons.


The Huskar Social Union wrote: ... massive empires of genocidal machines.

User avatar
Great Thallands
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 25
Founded: Nov 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Thallands » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:20 pm

Regardless of historical prevalence, as all nations have typically heard of witches even if none existed within them, how does your society and cultural trend define witchcraft and witches? Witches and witchcraft within the modern Thallands is defined as a religious practice by a very small minority. When the nation was first founded, it was widespread.

At any point in your nation's history has there existed a cultural or religious concept of witchcraft and witches? Yes, before the regime of Weebistan, the natives were very animistic. Before they were purged by the Weebistanis.

If not, with what regard did or do your people view those perceived to have been otherwise spiritually enhanced, such as wisefolk, witch-doctors, shamans, priests, or others? Modern Thallanders see them as superstitious and regard them as any religion. Extreme suspicion.

If so, was witchcraft subject to social distrust and the alleged practitioners of witchcraft subject to a pursuit and killing, either by mob or by law? During the Weebistan regime, yes. Within the lifespan of its successor state, no.

Do the killings of alleged witches continue into the present day, however this is defined by your nation's canon, either legally or extra-judicially? No. If a killing is known, the murderer will be sent to a labor camp regardless of its context.
Book your vacation and visit the Great Thallands today!
Male, 23, Gay, Antitheist, Libertarian Socialist, Doesn't use NS stats

User avatar
Merther
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 143
Founded: Mar 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Merther » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:33 pm

Regardless of historical prevalence, as all nations have typically heard of witches even if none existed within them, how does your society and cultural trend define witchcraft and witches?

Mertherian Paganism, and folk traditions, consider witches to be hiding in the woods and plotting in secret to kill anyone who dares to travel through the dense forests of this country. The Mertherians consider witches to be evil beings.

At any point in your nation's history has there existed a cultural or religious concept of witchcraft and witches?

It has always existed and still exists today.

If so, was witchcraft subject to social distrust and the alleged practitioners of witchcraft subject to a pursuit and killing, either by mob or by law?

No, since the people think that witches lives in the woods, far away from civilization.

Do the killings of alleged witches continue into the present day, however this is defined by your nation's canon, either legally or extra-judicially?

Witches are considered responsible for the disappearance of many children that are reported missing. Thus, witches are to be captured by the Police if encountered. No Witches have ever been seen yet.
We are the Phalangists.

Pro : Fascism, separation of Church and State, Socialism, protection of nature, European cultures and roots, liberty, the supremacy of the State, the will of the People, strength through unity, stability through peace, and prosperity through cooperation. Pro Europa.
Neutral : Reactionary doctrines, religion, other ethnicities, Gay people, militarism, cultural superiority, religious education.
Anti : Communism in all forms, Liberalism, Conservatism, cruel Capitalism and Transgender / non-binary people.

User avatar
Wochaystein
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 157
Founded: May 06, 2018
Tyranny by Majority

Postby Wochaystein » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:15 pm

Regardless of historical prevalence, as all nations have typically heard of witches even if none existed within them, how does your society and cultural trend define witchcraft and witches? Witchcraft is the practice of magic power by traffic with evil supernatural entities.

At any point in your nation's history has there existed a cultural or religious concept of witchcraft and witches? Yes

If not, with what regard did or do your people view those perceived to have been otherwise spiritually enhanced, such as wisefolk, witch-doctors, shamans, priests, or others?

If so, was witchcraft subject to social distrust and the alleged practitioners of witchcraft subject to a pursuit and killing, either by mob or by law? No

Do the killings of alleged witches continue into the present day, however this is defined by your nation's canon, either legally or extra-judicially? No
Dieresis of Diarcesia
The Cities of the Holy Empire of Wochaystein
Zuidren | Krofen | Fischen | Tien | Tendorf

User avatar
Ploaie Negra
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 4
Founded: Dec 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ploaie Negra » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:24 pm

It has a long and storied history. In a different form, it remains to this day, as there are sometimes highland shamans whose practices include horrid crimes, including cannibalism, and these witch doctors are hunted by the National Police

User avatar
TURTLESHROOM II
Minister
 
Posts: 3148
Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:59 pm

Regardless of historical prevalence, as all nations have typically heard of witches even if none existed within them, how does your society and culture define witchcraft and witches?
TurtleShroom defines sorcery under the auspices of classical Christian thought and demonology. Sorcery is a broad umbrella and extends both to "white" magic (magic used for noble causes) and "black" magic (magic used to gain power over others) without discrimination. At its most fundamental basics, the problem with witchcraft is that it gives power over others and calls or meddles with the occult, and powerful forces no one understands. Lesser acts of "sorcery", which always carry much lower penalties, sometimes without imprisonment, include benign acts like Tarot readings, fortune telling, and astrology.


At any point in your nation's history has there existed a cultural or religious concept of witchcraft and witches?
The dominant religion in pre-Christian TurtleShroom was traditional Tengri paganism, like that practiced by steppe nomads. This religion was and is extremely shamanistic and superstitious, taking active roles in divination, animal sacrifice, and ritual ceremonies to please or sway the Tengri pantheon.


If not, with what regard did or do your people view those perceived to have been otherwise spiritually enhanced, such as wise folk, witch-doctors, shamans, priests, or others?
The human, Christian Missionaries that converted the Tengri population did not consider all of the Tengri shamans' acts of divination to be witchcraft, although shamans were heavily restricted in what procedures they could use after the humans came. Tengri pagans still exist in small numbers to this day, and their shamans occasionally run afoul of the law, although the punishment for their actions is usually minor.


If so, was witchcraft subject to social distrust and the alleged practitioners of witchcraft subject to a pursuit and killing, either by mob or by law?
Witchcraft is not a capital crime in TurtleShroom. Sorcery is still illegal in TurtleShroom and it is handled by the secular courts.


Do the killings of alleged witches continue into the present day, however this is defined by your nation's canon, either legally or extra-judicially?
Sorcery/witchcraft is still a crime in TurtleShroom and actual witch trials still occur from time to time, often multiple times a year. Sorcery is a crime carrying up to eighty years in prison if convicted. TurtleShroom is the signatory of a treaty forced on it after it lost a defensive war involving Future-Tech aliens invading, and this treaty requires it to expel those convicted of simple sorcery to Menelmacar.
{ OOC: This is easily circumvented the same way it is in RL, by attaching a laundry list of other crimes that the evidence could charge them with and hoping one sticks. In RL, the FBI does this every time it prosecutes someone. }


Like any crime, those accused of sorcery are entitled to due process in a fair and impartial court of law, observing the requirement of evidence and witnesses, due process, and more. Accused witches are, of course, afforded all other privileges and rights as any creature accused of a crime in TurtleShroom (or any other civilized nation) are entitled to receive.

Due to the requirement of evidence and the standard court practice, a large supermajority of creatures accused of sorcery are acquitted.
Last edited by TURTLESHROOM II on Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jesus loves you and died for you!
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter
"NOOKULAR" STOCKPILE: 821,333.
CM wrote:Have I reached peak enlightened centrism yet? I'm getting chills just thinking about taking an actual position.
News ticker (updated 8/03/2019 AD):

Doctors lead protest to re-legalize cocaine as medicine, overturn 1985 GAT precedent -|- X86 MS-DOS perfected -|- PEACE AT LAST: TURTLESHROOM CIVIL WAR ENDS ON 10-12-2018 AD, FIRST TURTLESHROOMIAN STATE DISSOLVED

User avatar
AccrossRealms Territory
Civilian
 
Posts: 1
Founded: Dec 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Witch-hunting in Our Nation

Postby AccrossRealms Territory » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:04 pm

Made Forbidden

User avatar
Polish Prussian Commonwealth
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1708
Founded: Oct 30, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Polish Prussian Commonwealth » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:11 pm

Regardless of historical prevalence, as all nations have typically heard of witches even if none existed within them, how does your society and cultural trend define witchcraft and witches?
..same way most of Europe does.

At any point in your nation's history has there existed a cultural or religious concept of witchcraft and witches?
Up until the end of the Middle Ages.
If not, with what regard did or do your people view those perceived to have been otherwise spiritually enhanced, such as wisefolk, witch-doctors, shamans, priests, or others?

If so, was witchcraft subject to social distrust and the alleged practitioners of witchcraft subject to a pursuit and killing, either by mob or by law?
Occasionally yes. Said attempts were alternatively encouraged or suppressed by nobles, depending on region.
Do the killings of alleged witches continue into the present day, however this is defined by your nation's canon, either legally or extra-judicially?
Yes, but only in Lesser Poland, and said attempts usually are suppressed, and are becoming rare. The typical response to someone claiming that witches are real would be accusations of drunkenness.
Peace theme
War theme
Victory theme
Anthem
We may not count her armies, we may not see her King;
Her fortress is a faithful heart, her pride is suffering;
And soul by soul and silently her shining bounds increase
And her ways are ways of gentleness, and all her paths are peace.

"Out of doubt, out of dark, to the day's rising
he rode singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
Hope he rekindled, and in hope ended;
over death, over dread, over doom lifted
out of loss, out of life, unto long glory."



My canon is currently in a state of constant flux. Please do not take anything that I say as set in stone.


A 18 civilization, according to this index.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kihodova Hopi, Subhurbia, Treko

Advertisement

Remove ads