NATION

PASSWORD

"the War" in YN.

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sicaris
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sicaris » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:00 pm

The Third Fendrelian-Sicarisian War was the third in a long series of conflicts between the two powers of Fendrel and Sicaris. Fought mostly on the frozen plains of Greenland over the landmass itself, the war was a brutal 4-year struggle in the arctic conditions, with 2.6 million casualties on both sides overall. The war eventually ended in a Sicarisian victory and seizure of Greenland, but it is one of the more recent of he wars and was the most costly by far.
This country doesn’t represent my political views.
Three Principles of the People is a good book.
8values
Political Compass
PolitiScales
I’m an American nationalist, ultra-capitalist, Kemalist, and First and Second Amendment extremist. Alexander Hamilton and Ronald Reagan are my gods and I will incessantly worship them.

No, basement dwellers of the world, communism does not work.

“If you are born poor, it’s not your mistake; but if you die poor, it’s your mistake.”

Farburg
Attaché

Founded: Oct 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Farburg » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:05 pm

The last war we ever had was our war of independence from Denmark form 1752-1757.

Las Espanyas
Secretary

Founded: Feb 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Las Espanyas » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:02 pm

The Convulsion Period

Called like that by all historians alike, this happened during the Elections of 1936. The Liberal party was long gone from power. Wanting to take back that power by discrediting the current government, members from it started funding fake independence movements in Chile, Alto Perú and Venezuela in order to ignite a "lack of capacity" from the actual government. What ended being is that new movements rose from the status quo out of nowhere. Fascistic, communist, and anarchist parties took over different parts of the country and started a whole mess. The fascist party ended up allying with Nazi Germany, the democrats (Who were basically an alliance between the Conservatives and the Liberals) loosely alligned with the Allies (Despite not receiving support later on), the communists with the soviets and the separatists were on their own.

This crisis lasted from 1936 all the way to 1978, when the battle of Mar de la Plata between the Consejo Nacional de la Corona Española, who were traditionalists, and the Movimiento de Independencia Proletario de la Plata, who were communist separatists, had the final battle. In this war, The Spanish world, due to war only, lost 11.66 million killed in war, and lost another 107.9 thousands due to migration. Whole villages were abandoned and the economy collapsed, it could recover from the numbers it had pre-war in 1997. Right now, a boom has let Spain start growing again. Recently, the "ban on internet" will be lifted and the congress is working on it. But Spain changed from being a democratic nation that valued the ideas of liberty into a theocratic state that values religion and is dominated by the quadruple factions of the clergy, the nobility, the military, and the burghers.
Drinks on the patio...

Amitola
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Amitola » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:34 am

"The Great Burning," a period of many-sided civil war that has encompassed our nation for 14 years up to our present day, is the war that holds the most grip over the national psyche. The primary contingents were the Official Government: The Amitolan Republic. A reactionary Secession group: The Grand Amitolan State, and a loose confederacy of smaller radical movements, collectively known as The Popular Revolutionary Societies of Amitola. By present day (Actually 1899 AD equivalent), The Republic is nearing victory in the war, The GAS is almost entirely defeated, and the PRSA is scattered into bands just as hostile to each other as to the Republic and acting more as raider gangs than as forces of revolution.

The Ancient Archivists
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ancient Archivists » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:40 am

The First Great Siege, a fifty-thousand year long siege against Ringworld Alpha. Uncountable ships were lost on the attacker's side, and Alpha suffered heavy damage to the external rim of Segment one. It prompted research into the Grand Cloak project to be re-initiated after it's cancelling, and shortly after all Ringworlds, Habitats, and The Capital were all fitted with Jump Drives, along with numerous other upgrades.
NS stats aren't used in this nation.

Republic of La Boca
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 13, 2016
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Republic of La Boca » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:05 pm

Name: Civil War II
Casus belli: Interethnic Rebellion against government
Result: Atheistic Communist victory.
Most important battle: Battle of Quilmes between Atheists and Orthodox Christians
Deads: 2460 at least
Date: 16-23 november 2018
Allies: Lutherans, Shi'a Muslims, Atheists, Communist faction, Buddhists.
Enemies: Eastern Orthodox Christians, Roman Catholic Christians, Tinhampton

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Diarcesia » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:45 pm

The Final Diarcesian-Hylvorian War
Captain Radomil "Castamir" Mineski's recently established Castamirian Host reached Hylvoria's border, threatening the latter with conquest. King Thedebrand of Hylvoria, in the midst of the centuries-old squabble with Diarcesia, challenged Monarch Eutaur to a duel to the death to minimize casualties, with the loser acknowledging sovereignty of the former. Eutaur, wielding his mace Asteri Leucochrysus, slew Thedebrand, who was wielding his warhammer Se Worold. This started the fundamental change in Diarcesia from an monocultural state to a decentralized multiethnic one.

Kroraine
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kroraine » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:52 pm

The Xinjiang Wars, also known as the Loulan Wars were a series of conflicts lasting from approximately April of 1931 to the spring of 1950, overlapping with both phases of the Chinese Civil War, the Soviet Invasion of Xinjiang, and the Second Sino-Japanese war. The many-sided conflicts saw numerous shifting allegiances and alliances form and dissolve and numerous fronts of military and paramilitary action.

During the course of the wars, an independent Kroraini state existed on two occasions: the First Republic (12 Nov. 1933—16 Apr. 1934) comprising much of the Tarim Basin, and the Second Republic (12 Nov. 1944—20 Dec. 1949) which originated in northern Dzhungaria and later expanded to all of modern Kroraine before being incorporated into the People's Republic of China.

There are no statistics for the total number of deaths, although estimates range wildly from the tens to hundreds of thousands.
KRORAINENTSE ŚAMNÄṢṢUVA MIṂCUTEYA CANTRE
<—> — ☸ — ☸ — ☸ — <—>

The Atlantean Islands
Envoy

Founded: Apr 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Atlantean Islands » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:08 pm

The Atlantean Civil War redefined Atlantean politics forever. This abolished the nobility ranks, and transformed the Congress of Lords into a Parliament that ran on technocracy and, later on, democratic election. It also abolished slavery.
Last edited by The Atlantean Islands on Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uses certain NS stats.

Atlantis is an MT nation that is the third richest country in the world, behind only China and the United States. It is closer to the USA, UK, Italy and Spain (in that order, though Italy and Spain is probably tied) culturally than it is Greece. It is also a naval power.

And no, Atlantis is not underwater: It has a land area around the size of France.

Pros: Classical liberalism, democracy, the West, Brexit, Viktor Orban, free education, strong military
Cons: Authoritarianism, fascism, communism, multiculturalism, Islamism

Igueranel
Secretary

Founded: Nov 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Igueranel » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:22 pm

The New Year's War, as it came to be known, completely reshaped Igureran politics. After over 400 years of a senate slowly consolidating power, the corrupt, aristocratic majority party finally attempted to suspend elections under the pretense of national emergency due to a dreaded flu epidemic that was already devestating the nation before the new year. A large number of citizens saw that the elections were being suspended indefinitely, with no clear date mentioned in the legislation.
So the minority party and this large faction of citizens, as well as almost half of the military, revolted. A failed coup attempt on New Year's day marked the start of the short but devestating war, which ended on March 11 with the arrest of the majority party after capturing the captial city. The total number of deaths is hard to estimate, as the flu alone killed almost 10% of Igueranel's population that winter. No other strain of flu has ever been so deadly in Igueranel.

New Periapsis
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Periapsis » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:35 am

Our greatest war was... untraditional by historical definition. We did not fight another nation, but were fighting against the realities of nature in order to survive an incredible catastrophic event. Details remain unclear and we are left unable to pick up the pieces of our former selves due to the sheer insurmountability of returning to suddenly such a hazardous environment even if for only just a moment but what we know and remember is that it was nothing short of apocalyptic. The "war" as it's officially recognized by our government as "Anomalous Event #5103" was what was envisioned by the people that involved with a United States government program which soon turned into a great sociology experiment and eventually us as an independent nation—an event so extreme and unforeseen that immediate proactive measures were necessary to be taken and available to the world lest we meet our demise. AE #5103 occurred on November 9, 2012, 20:30 PM. Apparently, whatever was happening was too urgent that just taking the time to specify would've taken too much time. By early Sunday morning we confirmed 70 million casualties but we had no idea what the exact number was in a timespan of only 10 hours; we weren't able to update in live time once communications arrays were destroyed by something and the number only skyrocketed the longer we pressed on.

I remember soldiers- well, civili- I mean foreigners would have assumed they were. In reality it was just the way we are as people—we all received military training in order to help ensure that we could each individually be prepared in an apocalyptic event. Our sense of unity gave what we did practicality; the ability to fend off unexpected dangers and defend ourselves if anything went wrong. While we made procedures and prepared for almost literally anything imaginable no matter costly or unlikely, what measures we took served to only buy the individual more time when our world went to hell. When your ideas of soldiers, first responders, and heros—our idea of ordinary people, who we all aspire to live as in order to aid humanity and do the world a service through our individual sacrifices—charged in and not knowing what to expect. Against all odds they were determined to don full body combat armor and help save others even if it meant they died.

I was only 5 at the time but remember the events clearly. A man dressed in all black gear, probably only on Black Team, scurried alongside my mother and I across what felt like an endless horizon at the time in an attempt to reach one of the ships for evacuation. Once we all reached the docks, I turned my head to look behind me as my mother continued, trying to reassure me that everything was going to be alright over the dissonant wailing of sirens as I watched him run back and try to help others accompanied by a small handful of people following him with the same black protective combat armor and a rifle slung over their shoulders. The man who had aided us, picked us up when we lost balance even though wasting a split-second might be the single thing that changes your fate, raced back in, charging through a gigantic dust cloud that was rolling in and completely impossible to see through, and yet he went on. Over the next few seconds (though, in memory they feel more like minutes) something happened, and he was launched into the air and ejected from the brown wave only to lay on the ground covered in his own blood and screaming, crying out for anyone to help him as my mother and I boarded onto the ship. I don't know what exactly happened to him after that because, well, I couldn't see him. I was given a sense of ineffable compassion and valour from him out of the experience, something I'll never be able to forget for a single minute for as long as I live.

In the end, that was the battle that started a war fought with math and whiteboards. We were all forced to permanently abandon our homes, living nomadically on the sea for over a year because no country accepted us taking temporary refuge on land they seldom if not never even used for their own people or purposes. Forced to scour the Earth in search of a new landmass to establish our occupation, we came across the island of Liuket and set up. Eventually, we were given a formal notice by the World Assembly to consider declaring the island of Liuket our new home which, after a long and thorough consideration by what remained of our government, was accepted.

God, I hope those people who couldn't make it at least got to an evacuation shelter. Some of them were just tourists.

Felsigberg
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Felsigberg » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:07 pm

Well WWII was very big, Felsigberg was occupied by The German Reich, 1940-1945.

The Civil War started in 1998 when the Nationalist Party of Felsigberg banned The Democratic-Republican Party from participating in the 1999 election. This caused riots all around the country. In the Hundestadt Riot of June, sixteen protesters were killed when The Felsigberg Army fired live rounds onto the protesters. This caused the Mountaineers, a Democratic-Republican supporring group up in Upper Felsigberg to attack Fort Hans in Mt. Hans.

This was the first straw. The Mountaineers held out, using Guerrilla Tactics until December, when the, Christus City shooting. Where twenty more were killed. Here, the battle of Johannesburg happened. People took up arms against The Nationalist Government. The Mountaineers caputed various villages in Upper Felsigberg.

Eventually Upper Felsigberg was captured. After this, the people of Hundeland rose up. In weeks Hundeland was captured. Then, on January 29, 2000, the Republicans launched their assault on Flachland. On March 18, after heavy fighting, Weizenfeld was captured. The Nationalists in Flachland joined the Republicans. On April 1, the Assault on Unnachgiebig began. It was through heavy fighting, captured on August 19, 2000. The remaining Nationalists who didnt join fled into Switzerland.

They turned on the remaining Nationalists in Lower Felsigberg. The assault was hard. They took various towns in Lower Felsigberg within two weeks. The City of Tieferfluss was still under Nationalist occupation. The Siege of Tieferfluss was brutal. A million were killed. But the City of Tieferfluss fell on December 25, 2000.

The Provisional Government of Felsigberg was formed. Johan Becker was the head. Reconstruction started on January 3 2001. When November rolled around it was announced that Reconstruction would end on December 3, 2002 and election processes would begin in January of 2001. Two Parties were formed, The Nationalist-Libertatian Party and the Felsigberg Party.

Erik Merkel won the election. He was part of the Nationalist-Libertatian Party. He served two terms from 2002 to 2010.

Katas
Attaché

Founded: Dec 19, 2018
Anarchy

Postby Katas » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:22 am

We've only had 1 war, and it was the war

Other nations had claimed a bunch of land, but never used it, that means it wasn't actually their land, so we moved through it, as is our right

The other nations didn't like that and tried to destroy us

So we built a wall and ran them over

Now the other nations let us use their unused land (even though it's not really theirs to begin with)

More details can be found in our factbook under history
I use all NS stats (even the dumb ones like weather) except for population
Most of my lore is spread around the forums (In cases of conflict, the most recent is canon) because I can't be bothered to make a factbook for everything. There is no prize for finding all of it, not even bragging rights. Why would you brag about something like that?
I have no idea what I'm doing and making this up as I go
Don't make me turn this country around!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I made a second nation for fun R.I.P

Menaturia
Secretary

Founded: Jan 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Menaturia » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:34 pm

In Menaturia, "the War" is of course the War of Independence, waged from 1956-1971

Third Dynasty of Ur
Civilian

Founded: Apr 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Third Dynasty of Ur » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:40 pm

The "Sumerian Great War" as we call it. From 1943-1939 BC, the Neo-Sumerian Empire fell under attack by outside forces, the Elamites and the Amorites. The Amorites had broken the wall we built to keep them out and began raiding the countryside. Elam declared its independence from us and also began to attack. The war was eventually put to an end through a peace deal with the enemy, crippling our empire but allowing it to stay alive. The war was devastating as it left us with barely any territory and led to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of civilians and warriors alike.
The Neo-Sumerian Empire

(still working on this sig btw)

Tasumani Kodachi
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Tasumani Kodachi » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:45 pm

The war in Tasumani Kodachi was the War of Nakayobi-jima. Arctic Wolf Republic was still trying to expand it's territory at this point, and they had reached Tasumani Kodachi, stationing at Nakayobi-jima, a seemingly normal fishing town near Chi Lake, which to them was the perfect spot to hide. Our soldiers were ordered to search all borders of our country, and they eventually found the advancing army. There was a lot of bloodshed, and a few million casualties were recorded from both sides, but in the end, Tasumani Kodachi was able to defend itself against a force bigger than itself. That was the battle that defined us as an actual force to be reckoned with in battle, and the one that still influences this nation and it's goals today.

Vault 93
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Vault 93 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:14 am

The Great War of 2077. Though it lasted less than 2 hours, it resulted in the complete nuclear destruction of modern civilization. To escape the nuclear fallout, those registered with Vault 93 evacuated to the massive underground fallout shelter which continues to act as an independent enclave of Americana beneath the ruins of Manhattan.
A brighter future. Underground.

Set in Fallout universe.
Located beneath the ruins of New York City.
Population is 853.
Tech level is PMT/early FT without space travel or miniaturized electronics

NorCal born and raised
Into world building, basketball, baseball, Fallout, trap, R&B and surf rock
Politically, generally democratic socialist for most issues
A's/Warriors/Sharks/49ers fan
Favorite musicians right now are Kanye West, Travis Scott, Denzel Curry, XXXTentacion, A$AP Mob, Tyler the Creator, Frank Ocean, and Satan's Pilgrims.

Kuroji-San
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kuroji-San » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:47 am

The Great Unifying Wars of Korea and Manchuria, fought in 1988-1989, is the war that gave Kuroji-san it's independence. It lasted for nine months, from the Battle of Daejeon in August of 1988 to the Battle of Chifeng April of 1989. The Korean Governments and later the Chinese Government retaliated heavily against Kuroji-san for this. It's said that over 20 million people died in the war. It was a struggle to even stay independent at all, but we managed to survive for long enough to not only win the war and take over Korea, but to also take over China and eventually Mongolia and Japan as well.
The only Len'en Project-based Nation on NationStates! No, we are not based on an anime! We're based on a character from a video game!
Youkai Hunter and Scholar.

We're like either current North Korea or early South Korea, you decide.
Alternate Mottos: "ALL HAIL GLORIOUS LEADER KUROJI-SAN!" and "For the Glorious Korean Nation!"

The Northeastern Confederation
Attaché

Founded: Jan 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Northeastern Confederation » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:02 pm

The Novas bandeiras.

It wasn't a proper war between states, but an series of invasions made by Paulistas in the area of what was going to be the Northeastern Confederation.

Back then, the City-States weren't united in a single banner, actually they were in the first long-term period of peace between all the major cities, since their economies were wrecked by four long draining wars that they had in between them. That didn't mean they were allies, they were having minor proxy-wars, but steps towards economic cooperation between them were taken, since they had to rebuild. The four wars defined good defensible borders and cemented the geopolitical dynamic of the region, making diplomacy a better tool than the cannon.

The city-states dominium right before the paulista invasions

But one day, came the Paulistas

The Paulistas were experiencing a vast expansion process for decades before they started venturing north, their main targets were regions of vast agricultural wealth were the excess population could settle. They were driven by hunger caused by a massive economic crisis which destabilized their society and worsened the conflicts between factions, moving the losers away from the centers of power.

In Blue: The paulista heartland, in relation to the northeastern dominions; In Red: the City-State of Salvador.

Their initial expansion was to the paraná river valley, raiding the northern part of Paraná, eastern Paraguay and the far south of the Mato-grosso1. As the raids became frequent and more successful, the paulistas started to settle, starting the first bandeiras, named both in reference to the historical bandeirantes, the ancestors of the paulistas, and because each settlement had their own flags (Bandeira = Flag).

The beggining of the paulista expansion; In yellow: Rio de Janeiro; In Red: Assunción; In Pink: Montevideo.

As this territory was conquered, their new lords used them to ascend politically back in São Paulo, starting a massive trend of raids and invasions by other bandeiras around the paraná river basin. As the invasions continued and more territory was conquered, the local communities started to defend themselves against such attacks, making the bandeirantes unite quite a few times, to break specific cities and share the loot. These Great bandeiras, sometimes called greater bandeiras, attacked larger states with success or not, such as Assunción - which was occupied and became a major paulista trade outpost for those who raided Argentina - and Rio - where they tried to attack by land and lost, and then tried by sea and were sunk.

Light Blue: The paulista influence in the La-plata river basin; Pink: Brasília; Red: Rio.

To the north, expansion was halted by the Central Government, the decadent successor state of the former Brazilian republic. They isolated the paulistas in a choke-point in between the Canastra Mountain range and the Caiapó mountain range, were they had built several fortifications along both the mountains and the river. The difficulty didn't stopped the paulistas from attacking, just halted their expansion to the north for a while, as they focused in profiteering from their southern ventures.

Brasilia was always a desire of the paulista elites. While São Paulo was the great fallen metropolis, filled with gangsters and fake captains,chiefs and eventually even Presidents and Kings, Brasilia was the city of the true Generals and the True President. Although they claimed all of Brazil, they didn't had the power to reconquer it and were in a slow, but consistent, decline by standards of military power and territorial holds. The paulistas saw this decline and their own rise as the rebirth of the brazilian civilization, now by their hands, and conquest of Brasilia would be a confirmation of the veracity of their own claim.

Orange: Northeastern city-states dominion; Blue: The paulista dominion; Red: Brasilia (dot at the center) and territories which pledge allegiance to them; Pink: Central Government's chain of forts alongside rivers and mountains, at the south of the central plateau.

The major problem was the lack of open routes to Brasilia and the Central Plateau. The line of ancient fortifications were built to hold argentinian attacks at the fall of the brazilian republic, and anything weaker than that would not cross it. The paulistas then went around it. They went into Minas Gerais, in between the Canastra Mountain range and the Espinhaço Mountain range, to find the ancient dam of the Three Marias, the birthplace of the São Francisco River. There they found an carioca (men from Rio) outpost and proceeded to conquer it and establish a base of operations for raids to the north, similar to what Asuncion were to the south.

Blue: The paulista bandeiras; Light Blue: theconquest of the Três Marias dam; Yellow: Location of the Três Marias Dam.

Although the attempts of conquest of Brasilia failed, the paulistas managed to coopt the mineiro vaquejadas (nomadic hords from the brazilian highlands) to their side against both the Central Government and the City-State of Salvador and its tributaries.
Also, the paulistas managed to acquire two more major strategic cities to their list, Palmas - stablishing what would become in the future the Araguaian Patriarchy - and Belém, an old city destroyed in the Atlantic Wars, now being revitalized in order to insert the paulistas in the caribean trade.

Light Blue: new bandeirante acquisitions; light red: Central Government; Red: Brasília; Pink: Palmas; Green: Belém; Yellow: The City-States of the Northeast.

Once bordering the zones of influence of the northeastern cities, the paulistas didn't held back since they understood the northeasterners as poor and incapable to defend themselves from attacks, which wasn't far from the truth since the tributaries at the countryside didn't counted with so much protection against the raids of the bandeirantes. They were used to fight against the vaquejadas of Minas gerais, which seasonally would cross the Sertão2 to pillage and rob towns, as much as to drive their cattle to the river. They were in small numbers and attacks were quickly as they couldn't support long sieges and urban warfare. They could also be convinced to trade or take tributes instead of loot, avoiding the communities the trouble of fighting them.

But the paulistas were a different kind of threat. They would come in large numbers, and install themselves in a large city, such as Palmas, from there would launch raids and attacks to smaller cities to break them and conquer them as well. From those too they would launch attacks to smaller communities in order to rob or extort them, thus forming an tributary system of power and economy. They came to stay, not to go away in the winter, they would go through great lengths to conquer a town, such as long lasting sieges and invasions to take large cities block by block.

Once they started to invade, the tributaries of the city-states were all by themselves as the Cities weren't in their full capacity to help. This was mostly true to Salvador and São Luís, the first for political and economic instability and the second because of lack of interest from their elites.

Light Blue: The initial grab of the bandeirantes in the northeastern tributaries

The deal with the devil

The constant conflict in the countryside was a black hole for weapons, automobiles and fuel. Demand was high and those who could provide this growing market would make a huge profit. The City-State of Recife was the rising star of the northeast, from vassal to the most powerful city-state in the region and most of this came from their preeminence in manufacturing, especially weapons, automobiles, boats and fuel. This match granted the recifeans constant profits which fueled their economy and gave them the top spot in the coast of the northeast. They would use the São Francisco River to ship their goods to their tributary town of Petrolina, and from there the cargo would be then bought by several bandeirantes, to fight amongst themselves or against northeasterners.

This tacit alliance became formal once an agreement was made between the two bandeiras of Palmas and Zéduardo3 and Recife, in a peace treaty, after constant wars between recifean tributaries and the two paulistan forces, who fought eachother as well. This treaty established an division of the northeastern territory between the three parties. Recife was comfortable to let them invade other cities' tributaries as it saw the paulistas as a minor threat to their city, especially since they bought their weapons and could be embargoed if they violated the accords. The paulistas however, saw Recife as an competitor and they sought to find ways to free themselves from their dependence of recifean equipment.

Blue: Bandeira of Palmas; Red: Bandeira of Zéduardo; Orange: Recifean Dominion; Colored Stripes: territories each could invade, according to the agreement; Colored dots: the cities of Palmas, Zéduardo and Recife, respectively.

After the agreement, the initial division was properly respected by each part, but after the death of one of the Zéduardo leaders, the bandeira of Palmas intervened in order to make it one of your own tributaries. This although didn't stopped Recife from selling weapons to them, as they understood the paulistas as lacking cohesion, which would eventually lead them to yet another civil war. As time passed, Bahia was slowly conquered by the paulistas and the civil war didn't came. The town of Juazeiro - sister city to the recifean tributary of Petrolina - was besieged for ten years, the city of Irecê "the gates of Bahia" was also besieged and conquered by the paulistas. Almost two decades after the agreement, the bandeirantes had reached the coast, were entrenching themselves outside of Feira de Santana and were in another two long term sieges both in Aracajú and Vitória da Conquista. They were about to conquer Bahia.

Blue: bandeirantes; Red: Dominion of Fortaleza; Yellow: Dominion of São Luis; Orange: Dominion of Recife; Pink: Dominion of Maceió; Light Blue: Bandeirante conquest of Bahia; Green: Unconquered Bahia; Dark Green: Salvador.

The Bandeira of Palmas searched for ways to circumvent Recife in the arms trade in every way possible, initially they thought that the mere access to the caribean and Uruguayan trades would be enough to supply them, but they were far away and had enemies in between. They saw their chances in Salvador, another major manufacturer of the region. The baianos4 gave hell to the paulistas at Feira de Santana, and yet lost the city, having to retreat to the peninsula to resist the siege of the bay. To the north, Aracajú falls and Maceió also retreats to their side of the river.

At that point, at the Recifean side of the river, Petrolina was starting to feel besieged. After its sister city fell, the paulistas then proceeded to adopt a policy of plausible deniability for robberies in the northern side of the São Francisco river. The town started to have price hikes and the farmers outside were flocking with their cattle to its immediate periphery in order to protect themselves. After the local ruler decided to hunt the paulistas and started to kill paulistan captains, the bandeirantes besieged Petrolina overtly, with the excuse of trying to carry justice for the deaths. Recife tried to censor this aggression with an arms embargo, but instead of appeasement, it had war as an response. The deal was over.

The response

The bandeirantes proceeded to assemble three Great Bandeiras to win this war against Recife, one was to invade Salvador, another to take Petrolina and one more to invade the City of Maceió. As the news of a total war against the northeast spread, another Great Bandeira was assembled in Palmas by newly arrived paulistas who then proceeded to attack the region of Oeiras, inside the dominions of Fortaleza and São Luís.

Black Dot: Palmas; Yellow dot: Juazeiro; Green Dot: Feira de Santana; Arrows: Directions of the attacks.

Between all the targets, Salvador suffered the most. Most of the city was overrun in a few months of urban warfare, forcing the ruling class to the island of Itaparica, from where they would pass the next 5 years sending naval raids against the now settled paulistas. The south of Piauí was a major battleground, exchanging hands quite a few times between different paulista factions, Cearenses5 and Maranhenses6, finally bringing Fortaleza into the conflict. Petrolina would be besieged for Ten years, suffering hunger, assassinations, bombings and being unsuccessfully invaded more than once. Maceió gave the paulistas a brutal fight in its own territory in the north side of the São Francisco River, but eventually had to corner themselves inside their city-trenches as they started lacking manpower.

In Blue: The maximum extension of the Greater Bandeira Paulista in the northeast.

The situation was dire for the northeasterners, but not so great for the paulistas themselves who were starting to feel the impact of the Recifean embargo. The paulistas were importing overpriced weapons from smugglers and buying less efficient ones from the Caribbean trade. Also the war meant that any ships who were pleading allegiance to the paulistas were seized and their cargoes confiscated alongside the coast. The recifean loans to Salvador and to Maceió gave them power to purchase boats - from Recife, of course - and harass the paulistan garrisons and markets alongside the coasts, making both expensive to protect and difficult to make money from those areas. The northeasterners were effectively blockading the paulistas and starving them financially.

The paulista dominion and the brazilian trade routes.

Confirming recifean beliefs, the paulista lack of cohesion started kicking in once the money was running out. From that moment on, there was no doubt that the northeast would be reconquered, but there was the question of whom would do it. the recifean establishment knew that using its massive leverage to boost its territorial claims would end up dividing their side and cripling their advantage against the paulistas, so, they reached out to the exiled baianos, the besieged maceioans, and the confortably annoyed cearenses and maranhenses. The first ones were desperate but furious: They knew Recife had sold them out to the paulistas and was now profiteering from their situation. The other two were anxious by Recife massive capacity in comparison to them and what could that mean after the end of this war.

The Recifeans then proposed a division of territory and an multilateral commercial agreement as well, both having the strategic purposes of putting an end to the old tensions between the city-states and guaranteeing the dependence of the other city states in Recife, ensuring its political and economic protagonism in the region. The two besieged cities to the south signed, although they distrusted the recifean intentions, the two to the north signed as well, after recife played their old grievances against one another. In the end, three commitments were made by all: Assembling a large unified army to fight against the bandeirantes, recognizing the old holds prior to the invasions and unifying the northeastern market.

The agreement was signed by all members despite their reservations. It was already a consensus that once the war was over, either Recife delivered on its promises, or an 5th Atlantic war would happen. Recife didn't wanted disunity, that gave the paulistas an entrance in the Sertão, they wanted to unite the northeast both to protect themselves and to assert their leadership role, this time through peaceful means.

Ans o its started, the northeastern reconquest was swift, if compared to their struggle up to that moment. To the north, São Luís, alongside northern allies, invaded Belém, who was already in turmoil because of infighting among the paulistas. Piauí was liberated by both the cearenses and maranhenses, the first taking their claims up north and the second the southern part of the region, going upstream in the Tocantins river going all the way to the Mangabeiras Plateau. To the south, the recifeans and maceioans sandwiched the besieging paulistas outide Maceió and pursued them all the way to Petrolina, were they also broke their siege. The São Francisco river mouth was now free, and the path to Salvador open.

First steps of the northeastern reconquest.

With the river blocked, the paulista hold in salvador had no reinforcements and grew weaker with each day. The salvadoreans launched attacks by the south of Bahia, through the todos os santos bay into the Paraguaçu river and the Aratu bay, with the purpose to harass the paulistas out of the city. With little success, a joint mission of maceioans and recifeans made an southwards attack in the city, whereas the salvadoreans came through the bay. The paulistas wouldn't leave the city and neither surrender, with the battle ending only a few years later.
Once Salvador was contained, Feira de Santana, Irecê and then Juazeiro were reclaimed by the baiano army, as well as Vitória da Conquista, finalyzing the reconquest of Bahia.

The reconquest of Bahia. In red: Rio.

Outside of the northeast, other states were also fighting the paulistas, such as Rio, Montevideo and the Central Government. For a long time there was a background conversation about creating a great alliance to crush the bandeirantes from all sides, but the conflict of interest between those states made it impossible for them to join together, especially when the major manufacturers like Recife and Montevideo had gained a lot for a long time from the endless paulista demand. But after Recife flipped and the northern side of the greater bandeira paulista started to fall, everybody wanted the same thing: A piece of the pie.

Rio wanted the northeasteners to push the paulistas back all the way back to the Furnas dam7 in the Rio grande river. But in exchange, the city-state of Vitória had to become a tributary of both Salvador - which they already were - and Recife, who wanted to assert its maritime presence south of the Todos os Santos bay. This agreement opened the path to the Central Government to make a deal with the northeastern city-states to assert their borders, which gave Salvador permanent access to the western side of the São Francisco River, all the way to the Espigão Mestre mountain range. After the cearenses and recifeans alongside the baianos retook this position from the paulistas, the decades-long siege of the Central Government was over and their collapse, prevented. They proceeded to buy weapons from Recife and join their efforts to force the paulistas down to their plateau to the south.

The decline of the paulista bandeiras. In Light Yellow: The city-state of Vitória and its tributaries.

With the collapse of the northern bandeirantes, the paulista dominion shrunk from every side, with a major revolt in Asunción and the gaúcho - tributaries of northern Uruguay - invasion of the Paraná river valley. The final nail in the coffin of the bandeirantes was the recapture of the Três Marias dam, which counted with armies of Rio, Salvador, Recife and Brasília. The paulistas, lead by the last bandeirante King8, defended the area until the last man was ripped apart by recifean artillery. With the dam taken, a major fortification was erected between the Canastra and Geral mountain ranges to keep the paulistas trapped outside of Minas Gerais.

Once the major threat was dealth with, the negotiations between Rio, Brasilia and the northeastern city-states started. The first two wanted to negotiate individually, but Recife wanted the negotiations to happen by bloc. With Salvador and Maceió weakened, they sought to allign themselves with Recife to keep bigger gains, and soon followed São Luís and Fortaleza. Since the whole deal was around Minas Gerais, Rio and Brasília didn't allign in a single bloc, which ended up with the central government pulling out of the peace treaty and the Northeastern bloc sponsoring the - now ruled by native tocantinians - successor state of the bandeirantes in the north, the Araguaian Patriarchy.

In the South, the paulistas kept fighting the Central government and Rio, but also themselves. The northeastern bloc eventually had to keep fighting the Central government and sometimes the Araguaians, but from a position of strenght, united as the single major power among the post-Brazilian States.

OOC Notes:
1 - It refers to Mato Grosso do Sul, which translates to "southern mato grosso". I'm using the historical region of Mato Grosso and not simply the state of mato grosso. For people of the US, is like if I was referencing "The Carolinas" or "Virginia" instead of naming the state.
2 - The semi-arid region of northeast Brazil (see this link).
3 - Its an corruption of the name of the city "Luiz Eduardo Magalhães.
4 - Demonym for those of Bahia.
5 - Demonym for those of Ceará.
6 - Demonym for those of Maranhão.
7 - This dam.
8 - There were many bandeirante Kings, men who claimed to be the leaders of all the bandeiras, but they were mostly ignored politically outside of their areas. When the bandeiras were ending, they became more important, but mostly in São Paulo.

Equitara
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Equitara » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:06 pm

The Equitara-Uinx war..

never win in a game of cards with death, even in a war that could have wiped your country straight off the planet..
After centuries of wars, the Federation of Equitara finds itself forced to enter the first Nexus World War, they have joined the allies.

Opet News: Lesthia Emp loses its first battle in Choro, soldiers captured. Potential new ore discovered in Mestith Cave, name not decided yet. Geroland enters the first NEXUS WORLD WAR, it is on the side of the allies. New flower discovered in Gegalith, named "Tuess". The year is currently 2019.

THAT GAPING HOLE IN MY FLAG IS SUPPOSED TO REPRESENT THE WHITE SUN, YOU POTATOS.

Intercosmos
Attaché

Founded: Jun 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Intercosmos » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:51 pm

WWI. The devastation caused by WW1 in Intercosmos's timeline(ICTL) was insane (Great Britain, France, the German Empire, the Austro-Hungarian Empire and the Russian Empire) were completely annihilated by the war, which had seen massive technological advancements (greater that thoe ones on OTL). The remaining governments of the major Entente/Central Powers sued for peace and Earth (Terra in ICTL) was unified.
Last edited by Intercosmos on Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Intercosmical Empire, or simply, Intercosmos,
IC year is 20019

A Tier 12, Level 11 and Type 11 civilization, according to this index.

Batea del Nord
Envoy

Founded: Dec 07, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Batea del Nord » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:04 am

When People talk about "the War". They normally refear to the first 2 of the 4 oficial Batean-Ucenan wars and the multiple clashes between and the border clashes and mutual destabilization campaigns that still poissons the relations between both countries and the relation between the Batean majority and the Ucenan minority.
The first two wars are called the independence war and the 3rd is also known as the secession war.
Batea gained the independence and has become a democratic and developed country after those wars while Ucena still hasn't recovered of their losses and is an international pariah since then.

On our independence war We rebelled against the Ucenan majority controlled communist regime and their centralist agenda. The war escalated from an internal conflict to an international one as the Regime regional enemies started providing support for FANB or the Batean National Liberation Front and then in a direct military confrontation. They defeated the communist forces. The FNAB when the ceasefire was signed had control of the border areas with our friends and isolated pockets. The allies forced Ucena to seek peace, to free their political prisioners and allow the refugees return, demilitarise the area 10 kms wide of areas controlled by FNAB, as a buffer zone. FNAB controlled Free State of Batea (15% of our territory) became under allied protection. Ucena was forced to accept a No-flight-zone, end the naval blocade of Batean controlled ports and accept humanitarian land corridors. There was brief peace. That was broken when the Ucenan Regime fell to a more hardcore and aggressive faction inside the Regime. That faction rearmed a broke the peace agreements.

They launched an ofensive that was answered by several nations invading Ucena. FNAB extended the area of Free Batea to almost the totality of our territorial extension. That became the Republic of Batea. The problem is that the Republic didn't control all the republic's territory. The Ucenan majority eastern part remained under Ucenan control. Ucena had to accept although didn't recognise the Republic of Batea. They made a puppet in the part of Batea they still controlled and had to pull off of it. It became as a false peace as The new Republic of Batea was recovering of the war ( Batea had lost the 25% of it's GDP and the 15% of the population, mostly refugees) dependent on foreign aid, spite of a 6% grow a year, Batea's Republic was too weak to reclaim all it's territory and Ucena and their new regime also very weak having lost Batea. The richest region and 35% of their GDP. They were a weak democracy and depending on foreign aid, too. The new Regime was willing to undermine an weaken Batea without entering a direct war and having to suffer another parade of foreign forces in their capital. But, was unable to recognise or give direct aid to it's puppet West Ucena (Eastearn (part) Batea for the Allied coalition), nor allow Batea to reunite.
West Ucena was used as filibuster the Batean majority.
The Ucena's foreign enemies recognised Batea Republic as "one" and made contacts with the Ucenan minority for the peaceful the reunification of both Bateas and let Batea Republic to sign international treaties in name of all Batea. At the same time they didn't provide reconstruction funds, except of humanitarian ones or help for paying eastern civil servants and make a working government for the eastern part. They had military (disuasory only and trainers and advisers for the new Batean National Army) presence in Batea but limited as they didn't want to trigger a new war.

The 3rd war result was the reunification of Batea. Batean armed forces proved able to withstand alone until foreign allies arrived in force. Also it meant a population exchange as many Ucenans fled Ucena and many Bateans living in Ucena were forced to migrate.
The 4th war was part of
Last edited by Batea del Nord on Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:12 am, edited 7 times in total.

South Acren
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby South Acren » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:33 am

When someone mentions "The War" they are almost always referring to the on-going conflict between South Acren and most of its neighbors. These series of short, intense conflicts have always been followed by a short lull of peace but it never lasts. Historically all these conflicts are their own series of skirmishes but most of the population agree they are just one war, which some have named The Eternal Conflict due to most seeing no end to it. Some attribute SA's technological and military advancements to the increased aggressiveness.
Last edited by South Acren on Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Gott Mit Uns!"
.....begin transmission

Be not afraid. We now acknowledge your existence. You are now under protection of The Eternal Empire. We will guard you with our lives forevermore. Pray you never give us a reason to revoke it.
Imperium Aeterna, Empire Eternal

Tsuki
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 16, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsuki » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:06 pm

Pearl Harbor 2.
Super inactive.....
Like any other nation, this nation does represent my views. Every factbook on NS is (supposed to be) IC.
I'm part of the WA.
https://iiwiki.us/wiki/Tsuki - Learn about me.
https://iiwiki.us/wiki/Category:Tsuki - Learn about the things in Tsuki.
https://dreamfiction.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Tsuki - Ditto, but more about culture i should say.
https://dreamfiction.fandom.com/wiki/Li ... iese_words - Learn Tsukiese!
Conscription isn't and will NEVER be canon to my nation!

Republic Europe
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 26, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic Europe » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:59 am

There is no single war that is most well known among Europeans, instead there are four: the Slavic Wars. Also called the Eastern European Wars, the Franco-Russian Wars, or the Euro-Russian Wars, were massive wars fought between the original French Empire (which became the United Empire of European Republics) and the original Russian Empire (which later became the United Confederation of Russia) along the Eastern borders of Europe. The conflicts have resulted in mass loss of life, the assassination of two French/European Emperors and two Russian Emperors, and the creation of some of the world's deadliest war technologies. Details for all follow:

The First Slavic War (18775-1884)
- Started with Russian Invasion of Austro-Hungary
- Ended with Treaty of Nidaros: Russian Annexation of Hungary (later named Magyar)

The Second Slavic War (1895-1908)
- Started with Russo-Polish Riots in Eastern Poland, later Russian Invasion of Poland
- Tsar Peter V is assassinated in St. Petersburg in 1899
- Tsar Constantine II is coronated in 1899
- Emperor Charles I dies of a fever in 1907
- Emperor Napoleon II is coronated in 1907
- Ended with Treaty of Athens: Russian Annexation of parts of Eastern Poland, French Annexation of parts of the Balkans

The Third Slavic War (1947-1954)
- Started with Franco-European Invasion of Russian Poland, Russian Magyar, and Russian Sweden. Likely brought about by Russian Annexation of Sweden in the Scandinavian Civil War, and the abolition of the Russian Empire, resulting in the UCR.
- Emperor Napoleon III "the Reclaimer" ("Le Récupérateur") is assassinated in Munich in 1952
- Tsar Constantine II is assassinated in Helsinki in 1952
- Emperor Napoleon IV "the Peacemaker" ("Le Pacificateur") is coronated in 1953
- Tsar Peter VI is coronated in 1953
- Ended with Treaty of Munich: European Annexation of Eastern Poland, Magyar and all of Russian Balka, and Sweden.

The Fourth Slavic War (2016-Present)
- Started with Russian Radical Terror Groups attacking France. When France Invaded that area of Russian Territory, Russia retaliated.
- Emperor Robert I assassinated in Bruges in 2018
- Emperor Napoleon V coronated in 2018
- War is still on-going

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information