NATION

PASSWORD

F&NI General Help Thread

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dyrrhonian Isles
Spokesperson

Founded: May 30, 2021
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dyrrhonian Isles » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:22 pm

Sorci wrote:
Dyrrhonian Isles wrote:How long are you willing to wait? I can read in within seven days if you send it to Diarcesia, my main.

I've got no problem with waiting tbh. It allows me time to fix things on the fly. You want it in a telegram?

Yes please
Dieresis of Diarcesia

Sorci
Envoy

Founded: Jan 07, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Sorci » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:32 pm

Dyrrhonian Isles wrote:
Sorci wrote:I've got no problem with waiting tbh. It allows me time to fix things on the fly. You want it in a telegram?

Yes please

Will do. Do you know if telegrams format BBCode the same way?
Arms Dealing, Blockade Running, Black Market Procurement, Mercenary Contracting. We get you what you want, where you want it, for a price.
We also chose to not sign anti-piracy laws for a reason, it'd be a shame if your cargo went missing.

SNN Local News Chief of Internal Security announces that trial of those apprehended in raid on Central Armory will be held under military jurisdiction, not civil. /// The International Economic Forum in Sorci's capital city of Teloric has been reopened after bomb threats.

Dyrrhonian Isles
Spokesperson

Father Knows Best State

Postby Dyrrhonian Isles » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:36 pm

Sorci wrote:
Dyrrhonian Isles wrote:Yes please

Will do. Do you know if telegrams format BBCode the same way?

Most likely not. A link to a dispatch is the safest route.
Dieresis of Diarcesia

Sorci
Envoy

Founded: Jan 07, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Sorci » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:39 pm

Dyrrhonian Isles wrote:
Sorci wrote:Will do. Do you know if telegrams format BBCode the same way?

Most likely not. A link to a dispatch is the safest route.

Got it. Expect to receive a notification within the next.. 20 or so minutes, an hour at most.
Arms Dealing, Blockade Running, Black Market Procurement, Mercenary Contracting. We get you what you want, where you want it, for a price.
We also chose to not sign anti-piracy laws for a reason, it'd be a shame if your cargo went missing.

SNN Local News Chief of Internal Security announces that trial of those apprehended in raid on Central Armory will be held under military jurisdiction, not civil. /// The International Economic Forum in Sorci's capital city of Teloric has been reopened after bomb threats.

Allistair Union
Attaché

Founded: Sep 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Allistair Union » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:05 am

Hey quick question can I just set up an embassy or is there an application I must do before I post it?
The Almighty Government of the Almighty Allirian Empire

Almighty Ruler Eviris Vallrie Wineholt Val Alleistiarah

Hail Shielring, the Empire, and Almighty Karullan

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 07, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kylarnatia » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:58 pm

Allistair Union wrote:Hey quick question can I just set up an embassy or is there an application I must do before I post it?

If you mean "Can I set up an Embassy in another player's nation or do I need to fill out an application for them?" - most players list their embassy & consulate exchange threads in their signatures if they wish for you to fill out an application (like myself, for example). If they don't have one that you can see or find, send them a Telegram through the game and ask them.

If you mean "Can I set up an Embassy & Consulate Thread, and am I required to provide an application that other nations have to fill out?" - Your Embassy & Consulate thread can take whatever format you wish, and you don't necessarily need to require that nations fill out an application. You could simply ask them to write an In-Character post acknowledging the appointment of an ambassador to your nation, be that through the medium of an official communiqué from their nation to yours, a news post announcing the appointment, or anything along those lines. :) Most players tend towards application-style posts because they like to create tables with the relevant information, so they can refer back to them easily later, but again it's by no means required for an Embassy & Consulate thread to have one.
The Ancient Empire of Kylarnatia // Imperium Antiquum Kylarnatiae
Lord of Gholgoth | Factbook (Work in Progress) | Embassy & Consulate Programme
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!
NationState's friendly neighbourhood Egyptologist
Come one, come all to my Trading Card Bazaar!
"Kylarnatia is a rare Nile platypus." - Kyrusia

Laborland
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 28, 2022
Ex-Nation

i cannot decide where to start

Postby Laborland » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:17 pm

when i build my nation what is the most important for me to start with

Maricarland
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 15, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Maricarland » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:44 pm

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on what holidays I may want to add to my nation's list of Holidays, and maybe some other time keeping relevant info for this factbook. I think this is the right place to post this question, but if it is not, please let me know (and ideally point me to the actual correct place to post this question).

https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1655340
Take chances, make mistakes, get messy!
- Miss Frizzle (The Magic School Bus)

Dyrrhonian Isles
Spokesperson

Father Knows Best State

Postby Dyrrhonian Isles » Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:15 pm

Maricarland wrote:I was wondering if I could get some feedback on what holidays I may want to add to my nation's list of Holidays, and maybe some other time keeping relevant info for this factbook. I think this is the right place to post this question, but if it is not, please let me know (and ideally point me to the actual correct place to post this question).

https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1655340

1. The sections delineated by the horizontal bars can have headers.
2. Consider using tables or lists for repeating stuff ("January is 30 days, February is 31 days, March is 30 days, ...")
Dieresis of Diarcesia

The Aber
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 19, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Aber » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:38 pm

Is there a place on here to get advice for writing national anthems?
✷THE EMPIRE OF THE ABER✷
(AIYBYROULTEUKILR / AAFL’AOULTEUKILRE-SEKYNZUVE DJ’AIYBYRADM)
✷ “LHOKYRHADJDISTUZIN. LHOKYRHADJUDNTIZIN. LHOKYRHADJDAILUTNZIN.” ✷
"AS SHE WAS. AS SHE IS. AS SHE SHALL BE."

_[' ]_ | I.I.R.I.D. | [_★_]

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)︻╦╤─ --------(X_X )

VEHEMENTLY ANTI-COMMUNIST

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:54 am

The Aber wrote:Is there a place on here to get advice for writing national anthems?

Lyrics or composition?
The Empire of Amenria (亚洲帝国)
Sinocentric Asian theocratic absolute monarchy. Set 28 years in the future. On-site factbooks are no longer canon. A 13.14 civilization, according to this index.
Your guide to Amenria, organized for your convenience

The Aber
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Aber » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:36 pm

A m e n r i a wrote:
The Aber wrote:Is there a place on here to get advice for writing national anthems?

Lyrics or composition?

Both. But mostly composition.
✷THE EMPIRE OF THE ABER✷

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Diarcesia » Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:04 pm

The Aber wrote:
A m e n r i a wrote:
Lyrics or composition?

Both. But mostly composition.

Try this: https://www.secretsofsongwriting.com/20 ... an-anthem/

Laborland
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

i cannot decide where to start

Postby Laborland » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:53 pm

what is the best foundation to start with for building my nation

Wochaystein
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 06, 2018
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Wochaystein » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:05 pm

Laborland wrote:what is the best foundation to start with for building my nation

What aspects of writing do you enjoy most?
Dieresis of Diarcesia
The Cities of the Holy Empire of Wochaystein
Zuidren | Krofen | Fischen | Tien | Tendorf

The Aber
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Aber » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:38 pm

Diarcesia wrote:
The Aber wrote:Both. But mostly composition.

Try this: https://www.secretsofsongwriting.com/20 ... an-anthem/

Apologies, but I was looking for something as a person who plays by ear and doesn't bother with musical theory.
✷THE EMPIRE OF THE ABER✷

Mevrunia
Secretary

Founded: Feb 25, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Mevrunia » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:03 pm

My Factbook about "Immigration Policy" Looking very ugly. Any Ideas to Improve it?

Laborland
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Laborland » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:36 pm

Wochaystein wrote:
Laborland wrote:what is the best foundation to start with for building my nation

What aspects of writing do you enjoy most?

i like the interaction between nations.

Rho Ophiuchi
Attaché

Founded: Apr 26, 2021
Capitalizt

Postby Rho Ophiuchi » Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:31 pm

Hello All,

So, I have never actually used the forums before, so I am not sure if I have just done something improperly.

In any case, I was wondering if there was anything that any of you thought I could improve regarding my overview factbook (https://www.nationstates.net/nation=rho ... id=1557708), which has not received any major updates in months, largely because I was not very active for a while. In any case, advice would be appreciated, especially in regard to how I can add more detail, and in what areas the added detail would help the most.

I am aware that the formatting for the factbook is not the best, but due to my nation's technology level it would be unlikely to have internet access in non-academic settings, and thus I tried to make the factbook look similar to an encyclopedia article. If there was some way I could improve the formatting without making it look too much like a website, advice would be appreciated.
Sincerely,
Rho Ophiuchi
WA puppet: Toaster Head Nation
NS stats are canon, but population and GDP are 10x lower for realism

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 13, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Neu Engollon » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:59 pm

Rho Ophiuchi wrote:Hello All,

So, I have never actually used the forums before, so I am not sure if I have just done something improperly.

In any case, I was wondering if there was anything that any of you thought I could improve regarding my overview factbook (https://www.nationstates.net/nation=rho ... id=1557708), which has not received any major updates in months, largely because I was not very active for a while. In any case, advice would be appreciated, especially in regard to how I can add more detail, and in what areas the added detail would help the most.

I am aware that the formatting for the factbook is not the best, but due to my nation's technology level it would be unlikely to have internet access in non-academic settings, and thus I tried to make the factbook look similar to an encyclopedia article. If there was some way I could improve the formatting without making it look too much like a website, advice would be appreciated.

To be totally honest, I just glanced. That is a super wall of text. There is a format for such factbook overviews floating out there that is very wiki-like that the creator/IP originator gave permission for others to use. I will try to find it for you, as I have been meaning to convert my factbooks to it, myself. So, yeah, my main point would be to break things up more in formatting. Shorter paragraphs, more images, more bullet type points...

I don't think making it look less like any website is going to help you. I think that doing a wiki style or even old school encyclopedia entry would be an improvement and different from what you have, but not necessarily resembling some super glossy, corporate site that is all flash and no substance.
TG me with questions if you got some, especially about GE&T or PMCs.
My Factbook
Important Neu Engollian Links.
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

Rho Ophiuchi
Attaché

Capitalizt

Postby Rho Ophiuchi » Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:17 am

Neu Engollon wrote:To be totally honest, I just glanced. That is a super wall of text. There is a format for such factbook overviews floating out there that is very wiki-like that the creator/IP originator gave permission for others to use. I will try to find it for you, as I have been meaning to convert my factbooks to it, myself. So, yeah, my main point would be to break things up more in formatting. Shorter paragraphs, more images, more bullet type points...

I don't think making it look less like any website is going to help you. I think that doing a wiki style or even old school encyclopedia entry would be an improvement and different from what you have, but not necessarily resembling some super glossy, corporate site that is all flash and no substance.

Hello Neu Engollon,

Thanks for the advice! I will see what I can do to break it up and add some images.
Sincerely,
Rho Ophiuchi

Dyrrhonian Isles
Spokesperson

Father Knows Best State

Postby Dyrrhonian Isles » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:57 pm

Laborland wrote:
Wochaystein wrote:What aspects of writing do you enjoy most?

i like the interaction between nations.

Looks like you're already in an RP group. In that case, the thread "You’ve Just Joined an RP Region and/or Group. Now What?" can be something you find very useful, especially around interacting with your peers.
Dieresis of Diarcesia

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 13, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Neu Engollon » Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:24 pm

Rho Ophiuchi wrote:
Neu Engollon wrote:To be totally honest, I just glanced. That is a super wall of text. There is a format for such factbook overviews floating out there that is very wiki-like that the creator/IP originator gave permission for others to use. I will try to find it for you, as I have been meaning to convert my factbooks to it, myself. So, yeah, my main point would be to break things up more in formatting. Shorter paragraphs, more images, more bullet type points...

Hello Neu Engollon,

Thanks for the advice! I will see what I can do to break it up and add some images.

Yup. Glad to help. Here is the LINK to the wiki style formatted factbook. Courtesy of Ponderosa
TG me with questions if you got some, especially about GE&T or PMCs.
My Factbook
Important Neu Engollian Links.
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

Rho Ophiuchi
Attaché

Capitalizt

Postby Rho Ophiuchi » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:28 pm

Neu Engollon wrote:
Yup. Glad to help. Here is the LINK to the wiki style formatted factbook. Courtesy of Ponderosa

Hello Neu Engollon,

I have adjusted my factbook to meet the new format. I still have to add some images, but hopefully it looks somewhat better.
Sincerely,
Rho Ophiuchi

Mududoch Zyws Feng Shou Kozaki
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 07, 2022
Ex-Nation

Embassy creation

Postby Mududoch Zyws Feng Shou Kozaki » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:56 pm

how do I add my country embassy information

PreviousNext