NATION

PASSWORD

F&NI General Help Thread

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Devernia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Devernia » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:37 am

My nation is mostly based on my real world views, but I'm seeking to write in some weaknesses for it. After all, every nation has its own downsides. Any tips?
Comunidade de Devernha [MT 2019]
???
NS stats may or may not be used.

NOTE: Will nearly retcon everything soon.
RECENT HEADLINES:26 Officials In Parliament Found With NCoV | Devernian Stock Market Collapses In Global Recession | "How Long Will We Last?" Declares Opinion Piece In Gaerson Journal

Bowa Sekoa
Attaché

Founded: Sep 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

How can i promote my factbook?

Postby Bowa Sekoa » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:06 am

I am playing this game because i wish to write very detailed factbook entries for my nation and thus enjoy the RP, the question is, how can i promote it, that is, how can i get more readers?

Please help, i am new to the forum having just joined yesterday.
Hey there, i am a factbook writer.If you love proxy wars and bloodshed and sub Saharan Africa or FC2.
Then come and read my humble history Factbook.
https://www.nationstates.net/nation=bowa_sekoa/detail=factbook
I do not use NS stats much, but they give a pretty OK idea of my country. But the population is obviously not true.
I am a Yankee.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:08 am

Wrong sub forum

Put in your sig under a mysterious spoiler and be active in the forums.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Mzeusia
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Mzeusia » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:10 am

Try posting it on your region's RMB. You might want to check with your region mates before to make sure that's okay.

It seems to me that long, detailed dispatches don't get an awful lot of notice. If you look at the most popular dispatches (especially now that N-day has been concluded, they are not the types of dispatches you are looking to write.

Maybe some of the larger regions would allow you to post it on their RMB's but again, check before doing anything.
If you are interested in having the Mzeusian Library write something for your nation, click here!

Pro: volone is an Italian cheese made from cow's milk.
Anti: gua is one of the 2 major islands that make up the Caribbean nation of Antigua and Barbuda. I wonder what the other island is?

Orange-Bourgogne
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Orange-Bourgogne » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:15 am

You should make your dispatches attractive. This can be done in a variety of ways. Perhaps you could use some images, or tables, to make things easier to look at into details.

For examples, see these which I created:
https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1094194
https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1101158
♔ - Founder of the Alliance of Nobles
This nation does not necessarily represent my real life opinions.

------------------------------------
----------------♔------------------
------------------------------------

Cosona
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 10, 2017
Ex-Nation

Inserting an image into a factbook

Postby Cosona » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:28 am

I know this question has probably been asked and answered a million times before, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere so I'll just ask here. How do I insert an image I to a Facebook entry? In trying to put my flag and map up but I can't seem to do it right.

Oppermenia
Minister

Founded: Apr 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Coming up with new history?

Postby Oppermenia » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi, Oppermenia here. I've been thinking lately I've been wanting to change up my history, since it has inconsistencies. For example, it says the founder Premier Mitchell was once a dictator but then changed because he had kids. Also, it has it start out as a dictatorship and then to a federal republic and then to a federal republic with a monarch as head of state. I think this history has gotten messy, but I'm not sure how I can change it in a way that I like and in a way that can adapt the previously established history. Also, it would mess with rp canon, as I've used my rp history in rp canon. I'm just not sure. Here's my current history. I want to focus mainly on the stuff before the Steinbaachian civil war:
https://www.nationstates.net/nation=oppermenia/detail=factbook/id=1068798
I'm thinking of making it like after the decline of the Old Oppermenian Empire, then a new Oppermenian Kingdom later arises, but eventually a tyrannical and dictatorial monarch comes along, and is overthrown. Then, they reform into a federal republic, and reinstall the monarchy as a constitutional monarchy, and then modern day stuff. But I'm not sure, this stuff could get messy if I don't do it right.
I don't know, what do you all think?
"Stick to the pack, and the pack will provide."
We are a leftist nation that believes in the "we" over "I". That's why we are fond of wolves, because the Alpha looks after the pack.
Stick with us, and give us loyalty, and we'll do things that benefit you, and we'll stick with you.
If you cross us, however, then as a pack, we will hunt you.
Don't underestimate us.
To learn more about the nation, click here: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=oppermenia/detail=factbook

Oppermenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oppermenia » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:56 pm

Oppermenia wrote:Hi, Oppermenia here. I've been thinking lately I've been wanting to change up my history, since it has inconsistencies. For example, it says the founder Premier Mitchell was once a dictator but then changed because he had kids. Also, it has it start out as a dictatorship and then to a federal republic and then to a federal republic with a monarch as head of state. I think this history has gotten messy, but I'm not sure how I can change it in a way that I like and in a way that can adapt the previously established history. Also, it would mess with rp canon, as I've used my rp history in rp canon. I'm just not sure. Here's my current history. I want to focus mainly on the stuff before the Steinbaachian civil war:
I'm thinking of making it like after the decline of the Old Oppermenian Empire, then a new Oppermenian Kingdom later arises, but eventually a tyrannical and dictatorial monarch comes along, and is overthrown. Then, they reform into a federal republic, and reinstall the monarchy as a constitutional monarchy, and then modern day stuff. But I'm not sure, this stuff could get messy if I don't do it right.

I’m sorry for bumping, but is this thread dead or something?
We are a leftist nation that believes in the "we" over "I". That's why we are fond of wolves, because the Alpha looks after the pack.
Stick with us, and give us loyalty, and we'll do things that benefit you, and we'll stick with you.
Don't underestimate us.
To learn more about the nation, click here: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=oppermenia/detail=factbook

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 13, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Neu Engollon » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:02 am

Cosona wrote:I know this question has probably been asked and answered a million times before, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere so I'll just ask here. How do I insert an image I to a Facebook entry? In trying to put my flag and map up but I can't seem to do it right.

Did you mean factbook? I'm going to assume you did. Put the link in your post, then highlight it, then click the 'Img' button in the toolbar above the text field in the post crafting screen. It should be the 9th button over. Alternately, you can just type in
Code: Select all
[img][/img]
,bookending the link with the bracketed commands on each end. Make sure the images are under 900 pixels squared.
Last edited by Neu Engollon on Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
TG me with questions if you got some, especially about GE&T or PMCs.
My Factbook
Important Neu Engollian Links.
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Postby Neu Engollon » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:08 am

Oppermenia wrote:Hi, Oppermenia here. I've been thinking lately I've been wanting to change up my history, since it has inconsistencies. For example, it says the founder Premier Mitchell was once a dictator but then changed because he had kids. Also, it has it start out as a dictatorship and then to a federal republic and then to a federal republic with a monarch as head of state. I think this history has gotten messy, but I'm not sure how I can change it in a way that I like and in a way that can adapt the previously established history. Also, it would mess with rp canon, as I've used my rp history in rp canon. I'm just not sure. Here's my current history. I want to focus mainly on the stuff before the Steinbaachian civil war:

What is your specific question now? I think you're right that things are already very messy in your canon, so that bridge is crossed and you don't have to worry about it. However, you don't need to get anxious about it, either. People change canon all the time, and governments change in RL all the time. Life is messy. Governments are messy. Some just hide it better than others. It's not that big a deal, except for the people living under the rule of the tyrannical government during their tenure. You want your nation to have gone through a succession of ideologies and governments? Do it. Have fun with it. Maybe start by trying to find out who or what the catalyst was for each change.
Last edited by Neu Engollon on Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Factbook
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

Oppermenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oppermenia » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:10 pm

Could someone help me on a national anthem? Like, give me some pointers and such? My idea for it so far was to reference history of Oppermenia throughout, and play it to the tune of the star spangled banner or something similar, and then reference god save the Queen by saying “the land of our King” or something like that. So far, I have this as a starting couple lines:
Oh ‘Opp don’t you know,
The land which you’ve grown?

If someone could help me and give my pointers, that would be much appreciated.
Don't underestimate us.

Rostavykhan
Minister

Founded: Sep 30, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Rostavykhan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:28 am

So, how do different people make maps for their nations, if at all? Any tips or ideas? Any arguments or feelings about free-styling and improvising a map VS taking inspiration from RL and fictional maps?

I used to draw a lot of maps when I was younger, but nowadays it's not something that I find very easy to just jump into, and I've been wanting to work on one for a bit for a certain nation, so I thought asking about different people's experiences and ideas would help.
LEARN TO HATE ; TOTAL HATRED FOR TOTAL WAR
LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE | FEED, SEED, SNEED

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Postby Neu Engollon » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:23 am

Rostavykhan wrote:So, how do different people make maps for their nations, if at all? Any tips or ideas? Any arguments or feelings about free-styling and improvising a map VS taking inspiration from RL and fictional maps?

I used to draw a lot of maps when I was younger, but nowadays it's not something that I find very easy to just jump into, and I've been wanting to work on one for a bit for a certain nation, so I thought asking about different people's experiences and ideas would help.

I think that's some sort of requirement for NS is that you used to draw a lot of maps and flags when you were younger.
I am probably not the person to talk to for this, as I haven't owned a computer that can run a decent graphics program in some time. I make do with MS Paint or Paint.net, but I have fun with it. It's very basic and sometimes that's all you need. Gimp works in a pinch too. Hopefully someone can chime in with other, better options for graphics programs.

As far as using RL shapes or 'free-styling', that's entirely up to you and would probably have a lot to do with your nation canon. Some do a mix of the two, or start with a RL map, then embellish and exaggerate until it looks nothing like the original. You definitely have two camps between the original map crowd and the real world map crowd, and some who go off of video game inspirations (Lot of Ace Combat fans out there). There are people with much stronger feelings about it than me, but I believe you should do what makes you happiest.
My Factbook

Sjealand
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Sjealand » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:44 am

Rostavykhan wrote:So, how do different people make maps for their nations, if at all? Any tips or ideas? Any arguments or feelings about free-styling and improvising a map VS taking inspiration from RL and fictional maps?

As an experienced mapper (as the iiwiki for Sjealand can attest to) the best way to make your map is first of all to just start. Your first maps will be bad, trust me my first maps are so terrible ive scoured the internet trying to remove them. But keep on going until you find a way of making the maps best suited to you.

However i would really recommend the use of inkscape. Its an svg editor, meaning you can edit every little path in your map, change coastlines as you want it, and move whatever labels you want easily. It has a bit of a learning curve but once youve got it, you've got it. Using svg's also allows you to use existing maps for help, since most of wikipedias maps are SVG's youll have access to the same methods and colours they do easily, and you can work within the same boxes.

If youre basing your map off the real world id recommend simply downloading and existing wikipedia map and editing that to your hearts desire, however if you like me work off completely original maps, id recommend you to first of all get your regional map, if your region has that, paste it into your document. Then you can trace your coast and borders as you see them on the map, addding extra detail as you work. Personally i recommend free-styling the maps while grounding them in reality, in my opinion it gives you the best of both worlds. The freedom of your own map but with the rules and similarities that make it look like the map could be from the real world.

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:16 am

What is this NationStates Years thing that I hear about occasionally?

I found an old text file that lists the NationStates Years from 9 March 2003 (Year 1) to 7 January 2016 (Year 250).
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Kryatoyisra
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryatoyisra » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:19 pm

So what are the advantages and disadvantageous of being a tropical nation versus being a well forested and wet nation in the Northern part of a temperate zone.

Initially I was thinking something small and possibly European but today I have had some thoughts and I think I may want something more tropical with a large lake(s) and access to an ocean, a place tropical that is mire poor and undeveloped.
Last edited by Kryatoyisra on Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ad interim Ad sumus
May there not be a small noticeable threat that causes you ill upon your course without protection.

New Acrym
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

I need an anthem.

Postby New Acrym » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:32 pm

If anyone would be able to make me an anthem, please send me a telegram for more info. Thanks!

Taliostia
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Taliostia » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:35 pm

An anthem would sound about nice right now. I can't make you one sorry.

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 07, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kylarnatia » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:40 am

Minoa wrote:What is this NationStates Years thing that I hear about occasionally?

I found an old text file that lists the NationStates Years from 9 March 2003 (Year 1) to 7 January 2016 (Year 250).

Never heard of it. People sometimes come up with their own calendars and dating systems in NationStates, or use the same calendar as we use in real-life but going back or forward a few years depending on what technology level they are and other factors.

Use whatever dates feel suitable to you.

Kryatoyisra wrote:So what are the advantages and disadvantageous of being a tropical nation versus being a well forested and wet nation in the Northern part of a temperate zone.

Initially I was thinking something small and possibly European but today I have had some thoughts and I think I may want something more tropical with a large lake(s) and access to an ocean, a place tropical that is mire poor and undeveloped.

I guess that entirely depends on how developed you want your nation to be. If you look at the Tropics of the real world, and some of the nations that exist within it, it might give you an idea of how your nation might respond to things like diseases, natural disasters and climate change (probably the three most important things tied to biodiversity and ecosystems).

Oppermenia wrote:Could someone help me on a national anthem? Like, give me some pointers and such? My idea for it so far was to reference history of Oppermenia throughout, and play it to the tune of the star spangled banner or something similar, and then reference god save the Queen by saying “the land of our King” or something like that. So far, I have this as a starting couple lines:
Oh ‘Opp don’t you know,
The land which you’ve grown?

If someone could help me and give my pointers, that would be much appreciated.

New Acrym wrote:If anyone would be able to make me an anthem, please send me a telegram for more info. Thanks!

Taliostia wrote:An anthem would sound about nice right now. I can't make you one sorry.

Music is quite difficult to compose, especially anthems, because they rely on a number of things. You might want to start off by first thinking what your anthem is supposed to mean, how you want it to sound, whether you want it to have lyrics or not etc. - and even then there's no guarantee someone could make it for you. I'd suggest it's easier to find the tune of a modern (or historical) anthem and create lyrics to that tune: I myself base my NS country's national anthem off the Prussian anthem, Preußens Gloria.
Last edited by Kylarnatia on Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Ancient Empire of Kylarnatia // Imperium Antiquum Kylarnatiae
Lord of Gholgoth | Factbook (Work in Progress) | Embassy & Consulate Programme
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!
NationState's friendly neighbourhood Egyptologist
Come one, come all to my Trading Card Bazaar!
"Kylarnatia is a rare Nile platypus." - Kyrusia

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:39 am

Kylarnatia wrote:
Minoa wrote:What is this NationStates Years thing that I hear about occasionally?

Never heard of it. People sometimes come up with their own calendars and dating systems in NationStates, or use the same calendar as we use in real-life but going back or forward a few years depending on what technology level they are and other factors.

Use whatever dates feel suitable to you.

I understand it is not compulsory, but I am interested in tracing the origin of this particular system as it may be notable for documentation.
Last edited by Minoa on Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Vincere Terrae
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Vincere Terrae » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:22 pm

I want to create a thread where I offer to make start up region maps for nations that request it.
Is "factbooks and National Information" the appropriate place to post this?
If you're reading this, have a nice day! :)

ALL HAIL TO THE GLORIOUS NATION OF VINCERE TERRAE!!

Hey you! we're recruiting members for an upcoming RP! Maybe check it out? https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=472307

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 07, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kylarnatia » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:18 am

Vincere Terrae wrote:I want to create a thread where I offer to make start up region maps for nations that request it.
Is "factbooks and National Information" the appropriate place to post this?

There is already one official Map Request Thread, that you can find here. As per the guidelines on what does and doesn't belong in F&NI, this is the only thread for map requests (the exception being map claim threads for specific regions). So you're best off advertising your services there, and maybe even responding to a few of the most recent requests.
The Ancient Empire of Kylarnatia // Imperium Antiquum Kylarnatiae
Lord of Gholgoth | Factbook (Work in Progress) | Embassy & Consulate Programme
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!
NationState's friendly neighbourhood Egyptologist
Come one, come all to my Trading Card Bazaar!
"Kylarnatia is a rare Nile platypus." - Kyrusia

Oppermenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oppermenia » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:11 pm

https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1068798
Hello, everyone. Above is a link to the history stuff of Oppermenia. Which, for awhile, I liked this history, and made it a big part of canon and roleplays. However, there’s other things I want to do with my history. I want to change it up a bit.
Currently, it goes from the ElksPack tribes to the Old Oppermenian Empire to anarchy to an authoritarian democracy to a federal republic to a federal republic with a constitutional monarchy in place.
Here’s how I want to change it:
I want to make the Oppermenian Empire more like Rome, with the Romulus and Remus (Opperman and Stein in my case) which is originally what I was going for. Then, there’s some RP stuff. When they chose new emperors, he Empire slowly declined. They would choose nobility as emperors without blood ties. The noble houses ruled as Kings of their domains and Lords of their castles while the Emperor acts as a sort of High King. Then, it collapsed, and the noble houses were just sovereign Kings of their own nations and the realms of Oppermenia were allied in a confederation. With this, the Old Nosewaganian Empire occupied Oppermenia. Then, eventually Matthew Of House Opperman was crowned King of Oppermanson and Lord of Oppermenia. King Matthew the Great led a rebellion against Nosewagania and managed to gain Oppermenia’s independence as a sovereign kingdom. Then, it transitioned into modern day.

But then, the transition into modern day is what I’m struggling with. How do I include the authoritarian period, and the federal republic? These being founded by Mitchell Opperman? And, the anarchy part was once an important part of Oppermenian history so would changing it make much sense? And, how would Mitchell Opperman fit into everything. Or, the Premiership. How would the Premier title and the Premiership work into the monarchy.
I already know I want to enact these changes, because they’re an RP thing that I really like. However, I don’t know how I can implement it properly into the history I currently have.
So, could someone help me with this, someone experienced with this worldbuilding stuff? How can I include these changes into my history that works with the history I currently have?
Last edited by Oppermenia on Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't underestimate us.

The British American Colonies
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The British American Colonies » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:21 am

Hello! Any comments on my Factbook? It’s a WIP
The Beatles, The Who, Yes, Pink Floyd, and RUSH.
Victoria 2, Hoi4, CK2, Stellaris

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:58 am

How do you give a link to an italic text? I tried, but it only worked in the preview and looked weird in the actual factbook (see my Imperial Council factbook).
Last edited by A m e n r i a on Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Empire of Amenria (亚洲帝国)
Sinocentric Asian theocratic absolute monarchy. Set 28 years in the future. On-site factbooks are no longer canon. A 13.14 civilization, according to this index.
Your guide to Amenria, organized for your convenience

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information