NATION

PASSWORD

Doraltic History Collaboration Thread (TWI ONLY)

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Dormill and Stiura
Diplomat
 
Posts: 973
Founded: Sep 19, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Dormill and Stiura » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:16 pm

Aruia wrote:
Dormill and Stiura wrote:I was more thinking it was a bunch of terrorist attacks and an underground war between Aruia and Kaelectia, with most of the action on my side of the border. But expanding it to Aruia sounds like fun.

The Troubles, as mentioned in the Working Concepts spoiler for that era, is a series of conflicts between Aruia and Dormill-Stiura over what Aruia believes to be its rightful territory in Kaelectia. This conflict will be isolated between the government of Upper Kaelectia and Aruia until the full Federal Republic responds and eventually works out an agreement with Aruia (which could allow for the Luvtar Joint Naval Station to be formed) to bring the terrorist elements to task, and eventually did a bit before the Arvan War.

After that, there would be one last instance of these terrorists popping up in 2003 when they attack a rail station in Avillon, motivating the creation of the Vauvillers Anti-Terrorism Accords.

that would require a development and reimagine of Aruian people than, because what Aruia as a word for trading cities near the coastline. Which dissappeared during the invasion of Kaelectia. I RP that Aruians are hisitorically proud of their Kaelectia heritage so we need to find a way that legitimize this conflict mostly maybe the people around the coastline after the invasion from the sea claimed that Kaelectia leaders didn't try and protect them so that might be the reason for splitting away from them. Though Aruia became a nation only after the Kaelcetia kingdom fell.

My thought as to why Aruia would be the party responsible for "starting" the Troubles is that they were so proud of their heritage that they looked over to other ethnic Aurians and nearby Kaelectians as part of their nation, not with Dormill and Stiura. Either government-sponsored or just local terrorist groups began to spring up in the border regions between Upper Kaelectia and Aruia that saw a lot of fighting, with some of these groups claiming Kaelectian villages as part of a "Greater Auria".
The United Republics of Dormill and Stiura
Freedom, Unity, Democracy
Join The Western Isles and chart your own path!
"Interacting with Dormill and Stiura; violently." -Balnik, 2021
"DAZ CONGRATULATING SOMEONE FOR GETTING 60%! this is a highlight of my day!" Ainslie, 2021

User avatar
Aruia
Envoy
 
Posts: 249
Founded: Apr 01, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Aruia » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:33 pm

Dormill and Stiura wrote:
Aruia wrote:that would require a development and reimagine of Aruian people than, because what Aruia as a word for trading cities near the coastline. Which dissappeared during the invasion of Kaelectia. I RP that Aruians are hisitorically proud of their Kaelectia heritage so we need to find a way that legitimize this conflict mostly maybe the people around the coastline after the invasion from the sea claimed that Kaelectia leaders didn't try and protect them so that might be the reason for splitting away from them. Though Aruia became a nation only after the Kaelcetia kingdom fell.

My thought as to why Aruia would be the party responsible for "starting" the Troubles is that they were so proud of their heritage that they looked over to other ethnic Aurians and nearby Kaelectians as part of their nation, not with Dormill and Stiura. Either government-sponsored or just local terrorist groups began to spring up in the border regions between Upper Kaelectia and Aruia that saw a lot of fighting, with some of these groups claiming Kaelectian villages as part of a "Greater Auria".

That could be interesting having something like an extreme nationalist party that was outlawed in Aruia and started acting violent on the border, Aruia itself would struggle with keeping the peace in the areas on the Luvtar and Bar'lson borders that they would have to force themselves to raise the AP-DU funding, just after making a few years back a reform in the economy system.
So the idea of a radicalist movement for a Greater Aruia would be a good idea, claiming Aruia is the heir to Kaelectias territories while the majority of Aruians see themselves culturaly related to Dormil and Stiuria aswell as Kaelectia.
Visit Aruias factbook meet the nation of the hoopoes

User avatar
Dormill and Stiura
Diplomat
 
Posts: 973
Founded: Sep 19, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Dormill and Stiura » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:35 pm

Aruia wrote:
Dormill and Stiura wrote:My thought as to why Aruia would be the party responsible for "starting" the Troubles is that they were so proud of their heritage that they looked over to other ethnic Aurians and nearby Kaelectians as part of their nation, not with Dormill and Stiura. Either government-sponsored or just local terrorist groups began to spring up in the border regions between Upper Kaelectia and Aruia that saw a lot of fighting, with some of these groups claiming Kaelectian villages as part of a "Greater Auria".

That could be interesting having something like an extreme nationalist party that was outlawed in Aruia and started acting violent on the border, Aruia itself would struggle with keeping the peace in the areas on the Luvtar and Bar'lson borders that they would have to force themselves to raise the AP-DU funding, just after making a few years back a reform in the economy system.
So the idea of a radicalist movement for a Greater Aruia would be a good idea, claiming Aruia is the heir to Kaelectias territories while the majority of Aruians see themselves culturaly related to Dormil and Stiuria aswell as Kaelectia.

Sounds great to me, I'll write more into the actual troubles as time goes on.
The United Republics of Dormill and Stiura
Freedom, Unity, Democracy
Join The Western Isles and chart your own path!
"Interacting with Dormill and Stiura; violently." -Balnik, 2021
"DAZ CONGRATULATING SOMEONE FOR GETTING 60%! this is a highlight of my day!" Ainslie, 2021

User avatar
Ainslie
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1301
Founded: Jun 15, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ainslie » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:38 pm

Le tagé
The Unified Electorates of Ainslie
Discord gdayer, weather alarm man and Officer for Communications and Engagement in The Western Isles.
If you're in The Western Isles, take a look at this to get involved with my nation IC
"Aprosia and Townside: hey, let's do history and culture, things that affect many aspects of our nations
ainslie: hehe alarm go brrrrr"

- Aprosia, 2021

"Ains had a panic attack. His centrism was in danger"
- Domanania, 2019

"Ahnslen gitmo - instead of waterboarding, they torture inmates by making them read scholalry works on political centrism
- Orsandia, 2018

"Factbooks are never finished, as Ains would say"
- Torom, 2018

User avatar
Thuzbekistan
Minister
 
Posts: 2185
Founded: Dec 29, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Thuzbekistan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:03 pm

06 January 1955 - The People’s United Republic of Kaelectia begins receiving support from new Communist allies, initiating a pair of new offensives into both Dormill and Stiura.
14 January 1955 - As Kaelectian forces press closer to the Sonnae River, the United Republics agrees to a second ceasefire with the People’s United Republic of Kaelectia. Establishing a 20-mile DMZ along the length of the Sonnae with the Kaelectians as the two nations began to focus more of their efforts on securing the north.
September 1955 - May 1961 - Offensives stall on all fronts for the next 6 years, no side is willing to consider any new agreement to end the conflict.
20 May 1961 - To commemorate the beginning of the war, Kaelectian forces initiate a sweeping offensive into Stiura once again known as the Lévesque Offensive for armor commander and mastermind behind the Lévesque MBT, Dimitri Lévesque.
13 February 1962 - After a grueling and costly offensive, Kaelectian forces stormed Stiura Hall and managed to capture the Court of Ten before they could retreat. Their subsequent surrender and execution brought the former Republic of Stiura under Kaelectian control.
31 December 1963 - After instance by the people of the United Republics, the United Republics of Dormill and Stiura and the People’s United Republic of Kaelectia agreed to a 2-year ceasefire with the intent to establish a permanent peace.

I'm thinking this would be where we are active. The combat would have been sporadic just before the treaty signed, I think, and may have driven negotiations. In fear of an outright war with Thuzbekistan, the Armistice is signed to end the fighting on favorable terms compared to those that a new faction could impose.
Proud Member of The Western Isles, the Best RP region on NS.
An RP I'm Proud of: Orsandian Civil War
An INTJ, -A/-T

Economic Left/Right: -5.0
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.72

User avatar
Jorvvik
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 43
Founded: Apr 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jorvvik » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:58 am

Okay. I'll be honest, I am a little confused over the Jorvvik / Dormill situation regarding the territory dispute.

As I understand it, before I arrived in TWI, Dormill had a large part of land that is now OOCily Jorvvik land as depicted on the TWI Regional Map. Are you intending to keep the land to this date after our discussed hostilities during the 1960's. That's a large chunk of land and would require a rewrite of my nation to compensate. My understanding was that Jorvvik had a long term dispute to the lands and would launch a military land grab during your civil war, seeing it as the prime opportunity to strike. I'm not sure what the intentions are after the intervention, are you going to retake it back from Jorvvik, is Jorvvik going to hold it while our nations bitch back and forth about who owns it.... perhaps this could escalate to the League.

User avatar
Dormill and Stiura
Diplomat
 
Posts: 973
Founded: Sep 19, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Dormill and Stiura » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:24 am

Jorvvik wrote:Okay. I'll be honest, I am a little confused over the Jorvvik / Dormill situation regarding the territory dispute.

As I understand it, before I arrived in TWI, Dormill had a large part of land that is now OOCily Jorvvik land as depicted on the TWI Regional Map. Are you intending to keep the land to this date after our discussed hostilities during the 1960's. That's a large chunk of land and would require a rewrite of my nation to compensate. My understanding was that Jorvvik had a long term dispute to the lands and would launch a military land grab during your civil war, seeing it as the prime opportunity to strike. I'm not sure what the intentions are after the intervention, are you going to retake it back from Jorvvik, is Jorvvik going to hold it while our nations bitch back and forth about who owns it.... perhaps this could escalate to the League.

Here's the situation:

After the Fall of Volksstad in 1968, the United Republics of Dormill and Stiura and the Federal Republic of the New Netherlands and Kaelectia had a brief moment where neither side really fought each other but both were not willing to resolve their differences. During the original written part, from December 1968 until March 1970, they stood off against each other after the United Republics attempted an invasion earlier that November. With you here, things change.

On the 18th of November, 1968, seeking to reclaim their historic territory conquered by the French about 3 centuries earlier, Jorvvik invades the United Republics through Vauvillers. They would have a tough initial fight considering Vauvillers was built as a fortress against invasion by the French some time after acquiring the land. However, the Jorvvik Army eventually breaks past the United Republic's defenses in the city and begin to march inland, threatening the underbelly of the United Republics to invasion.

In the only time in the Civil War, both sides put down their arms against each other and rallied in Ile-de-Avillon to prepare for counter-offensives to remove Jorvvik from Dormill-Stiuraian land. After 1 and a half years of fighting, around February of 1970, the United Republics managed to push Jorvvik past Vauvillers with the aid of the Federal Republic, signing a treaty that demanded Jorvvik retract their claim to the area entirely.

By the time the United Republics eventually fell to the Federal Republic in 1980, Jorvvik took it as an opportunity to attempt a second invasion with Covonantian assistance. However, this invasion also fails and a DMZ is established against Jorvvik to prevent future conflict, signed by the Federal Republic this time. When the United Republics surrenders itself later that Christmas, Jorvvik declares that all treaties signed with them void and remilitarizes the area, causing tensions to rise between the two states. Jorvvik then follows that in 1982 by declaring that the Federal Republic of Dormill and Stiura, which was recently formed, to be an illegitimate state and that any revocation of its claims on the Abancourt-Vaiers Section void and subject to be reconquered.

The modern situation is one where both of our forces are constantly posturing against the other in the area, briefly skirmishing during the Arvan War and (likely, up for discussion) spiking tension during the Aurian Troubles. By 2018 the situation isn't much changed though now Dormill and Stiura is stuck in a situation where it has two border disputes on opposite ends of the nation, neither it can ease up on without conceding the other. In this case, it would risk exposing the vital agricultural regions of the nation to would-be enemies and put an even greater risk on its two vital rivers.
The United Republics of Dormill and Stiura
Freedom, Unity, Democracy
Join The Western Isles and chart your own path!
"Interacting with Dormill and Stiura; violently." -Balnik, 2021
"DAZ CONGRATULATING SOMEONE FOR GETTING 60%! this is a highlight of my day!" Ainslie, 2021

User avatar
Aruia
Envoy
 
Posts: 249
Founded: Apr 01, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Aruia » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:34 am

I think after the Aruian trouble Aruia managed to repell the radical party Del' Er'ydse(Aruian for The Heirs) where they moved their leaders to Dormill and Stiura to be political prisoners of theirs. The border was declared officially peaceful in 2005 and open for inspection free movement.

Aruias stance on the Jorvvik Dormill and Stiura would be backing Dormill and Stiura due to the common opinion in Aruia that see cultural closeness to Dormill and Stiura, but politically and diplomaticaly not being involved.
Visit Aruias factbook meet the nation of the hoopoes

User avatar
Jorvvik
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 43
Founded: Apr 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jorvvik » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:42 am

Dormill and Stiura wrote:
Jorvvik wrote:Okay. I'll be honest, I am a little confused over the Jorvvik / Dormill situation regarding the territory dispute.

As I understand it, before I arrived in TWI, Dormill had a large part of land that is now OOCily Jorvvik land as depicted on the TWI Regional Map. Are you intending to keep the land to this date after our discussed hostilities during the 1960's. That's a large chunk of land and would require a rewrite of my nation to compensate. My understanding was that Jorvvik had a long term dispute to the lands and would launch a military land grab during your civil war, seeing it as the prime opportunity to strike. I'm not sure what the intentions are after the intervention, are you going to retake it back from Jorvvik, is Jorvvik going to hold it while our nations bitch back and forth about who owns it.... perhaps this could escalate to the League.

Here's the situation:

After the Fall of Volksstad in 1968, the United Republics of Dormill and Stiura and the Federal Republic of the New Netherlands and Kaelectia had a brief moment where neither side really fought each other but both were not willing to resolve their differences. During the original written part, from December 1968 until March 1970, they stood off against each other after the United Republics attempted an invasion earlier that November. With you here, things change.

On the 18th of November, 1968, seeking to reclaim their historic territory conquered by the French about 3 centuries earlier, Jorvvik invades the United Republics through Vauvillers. They would have a tough initial fight considering Vauvillers was built as a fortress against invasion by the French some time after acquiring the land. However, the Jorvvik Army eventually breaks past the United Republic's defenses in the city and begin to march inland, threatening the underbelly of the United Republics to invasion.

In the only time in the Civil War, both sides put down their arms against each other and rallied in Ile-de-Avillon to prepare for counter-offensives to remove Jorvvik from Dormill-Stiuraian land. After 1 and a half years of fighting, around February of 1970, the United Republics managed to push Jorvvik past Vauvillers with the aid of the Federal Republic, signing a treaty that demanded Jorvvik retract their claim to the area entirely.

By the time the United Republics eventually fell to the Federal Republic in 1980, Jorvvik took it as an opportunity to attempt a second invasion with Covonantian assistance. However, this invasion also fails and a DMZ is established against Jorvvik to prevent future conflict, signed by the Federal Republic this time. When the United Republics surrenders itself later that Christmas, Jorvvik declares that all treaties signed with them void and remilitarizes the area, causing tensions to rise between the two states. Jorvvik then follows that in 1982 by declaring that the Federal Republic of Dormill and Stiura, which was recently formed, to be an illegitimate state and that any revocation of its claims on the Abancourt-Vaiers Section void and subject to be reconquered.

The modern situation is one where both of our forces are constantly posturing against the other in the area, briefly skirmishing during the Arvan War and (likely, up for discussion) spiking tension during the Aurian Troubles. By 2018 the situation isn't much changed though now Dormill and Stiura is stuck in a situation where it has two border disputes on opposite ends of the nation, neither it can ease up on without conceding the other. In this case, it would risk exposing the vital agricultural regions of the nation to would-be enemies and put an even greater risk on its two vital rivers.


Okay. So perhaps we can establish a DMZ zone between our nations so we each don't lose much land and continue the tension and possible risk of a future war over the land. Covonant has an Air Base in Jorvvik close to the disputed lands. I would suggest maybe drawing up a DMZ map so we can have a foundation for this history.

User avatar
Michigonia
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 157
Founded: Jan 13, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Michigonia » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:54 am

Okay. So perhaps we can establish a DMZ zone between our nations so we each don't lose much land and continue the tension and possible risk of a future war over the land. Covonant has an Air Base in Jorvvik close to the disputed lands. I would suggest maybe drawing up a DMZ map so we can have a foundation for this history.


Since I'm working on the map, here's what I have so far.. https://imgur.com/tB6UrqX .

Let me know, a sketch of your own would help

User avatar
Jorvvik
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 43
Founded: Apr 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jorvvik » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:04 am

Michigonia wrote:
Okay. So perhaps we can establish a DMZ zone between our nations so we each don't lose much land and continue the tension and possible risk of a future war over the land. Covonant has an Air Base in Jorvvik close to the disputed lands. I would suggest maybe drawing up a DMZ map so we can have a foundation for this history.


Since I'm working on the map, here's what I have so far.. https://imgur.com/tB6UrqX .

Let me know, a sketch of your own would help


I have this crude mock up ...
https://imgur.com/a/so4tAEO

User avatar
Dormill and Stiura
Diplomat
 
Posts: 973
Founded: Sep 19, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Dormill and Stiura » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:08 pm

Jorvvik wrote:
Michigonia wrote:
Since I'm working on the map, here's what I have so far.. https://imgur.com/tB6UrqX .

Let me know, a sketch of your own would help


I have this crude mock up ...
https://imgur.com/a/so4tAEO

If there’s going to be any modern DMZ, then it’ll be from Vauvillers to where your major rivers converge.
The United Republics of Dormill and Stiura
Freedom, Unity, Democracy
Join The Western Isles and chart your own path!
"Interacting with Dormill and Stiura; violently." -Balnik, 2021
"DAZ CONGRATULATING SOMEONE FOR GETTING 60%! this is a highlight of my day!" Ainslie, 2021

User avatar
Jorvvik
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 43
Founded: Apr 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jorvvik » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:10 pm

Dormill and Stiura wrote:
Jorvvik wrote:
I have this crude mock up ...
https://imgur.com/a/so4tAEO

If there’s going to be any modern DMZ, then it’ll be from Vauvillers to where your major rivers converge.

Can you draw on a map for a visual representation?

User avatar
Dormill and Stiura
Diplomat
 
Posts: 973
Founded: Sep 19, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Dormill and Stiura » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:13 pm

Jorvvik wrote:
Dormill and Stiura wrote:If there’s going to be any modern DMZ, then it’ll be from Vauvillers to where your major rivers converge.

Can you draw on a map for a visual representation?

I’m out of the house, so I can’t for now.
The United Republics of Dormill and Stiura
Freedom, Unity, Democracy
Join The Western Isles and chart your own path!
"Interacting with Dormill and Stiura; violently." -Balnik, 2021
"DAZ CONGRATULATING SOMEONE FOR GETTING 60%! this is a highlight of my day!" Ainslie, 2021

User avatar
Covonant
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1239
Founded: Feb 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Covonant » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Tag
TO APPLY FOR EMBASSY SELECT LINK: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=351134

User avatar
Dormill and Stiura
Diplomat
 
Posts: 973
Founded: Sep 19, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Dormill and Stiura » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:21 pm

Image


It's a bit of a pain to see, however, I managed to get a DMZ up between Jorvvik and myself and established the disputed borders (which are the dashed ones)
The United Republics of Dormill and Stiura
Freedom, Unity, Democracy
Join The Western Isles and chart your own path!
"Interacting with Dormill and Stiura; violently." -Balnik, 2021
"DAZ CONGRATULATING SOMEONE FOR GETTING 60%! this is a highlight of my day!" Ainslie, 2021

User avatar
Razzgriz
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 395
Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Razzgriz » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:20 am

Through 1690 and the early 1700s, Stiura and Razzgriz would fight two wars (and several quasi-wars) over trade disputes in the Southern Sea


Would it be possible for the VOC and the SSMA (Southern Sea Merchant's Administration) to have a series of conflicts over emerging markets and contracts in the Southern Sea to serve as the quasi-wars you mention? I figure they're bickering could lead to a major disruption in trade over certain commodities, or possibly having one of their battles accidently claim a docked Sturian or Tásztłí Naval vessel leading to the outbreak of open conflict.

1750s: Maximum Stiuraian colonialism, Stiura uses its presence in the International Island and the leased land to extend its proper colonial influence into Argus, striking further deals for land or trade access among the nations of northwest Central Argus (should any come to exist), including several Hangates.

1780s: Stiura sends expeditions to verify the location of the Swaneeak Atoll, intends to send a colony in 1795 but the formation of the United Republics stalls plans.


I am not quite sure what to say about the latter of the two time-stamps, however: Stiura would have to carefully navigate a deteriorating situation or pick a side if it wished to trade with the Hangates at the time. The mid-1700s is when the divide between the Hangs & Hagmas of Tásztł and the Mahangs of the Khas-Kirati Empire would begin.

Tásztł had been allowed to assert and expand its influence throughout the empire and beyond, practically unchecked thanks to a mandate dubbed the Peace of Vendrithos which had been issued at the turn of the 16th century. The Southeastern heartland of the KKE had nearly completely "Íszkárífied" culturally to the point that even the Buddhist population of the 2nd Tamsaling Hangate, which had long been the main religion of the hangate, had become a minority in their own homeland. Many of the hangates began to fear that this would soon be the fate of the entire empire as the Hangate of Sinja had now begun to show signs of "Íszkárífication" during this time as well.

The fear was so deeply rooted that hangates, such as the Chhantyal, would begin to outright ignore the mandate leading to the Chhantyal-Tásztłí War in the late 1750s. By the 1770s the Mahangs would begin to play their part as well, annulling the mandate and passing harsh taxes on Tásztłí goods sold within the empire.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
____ The Empire of the Iszkárien Isles____
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Learn more about it here

Interested in, or want to participate in the Beyond the Isles Project Click here

User avatar
Dormill and Stiura
Diplomat
 
Posts: 973
Founded: Sep 19, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Dormill and Stiura » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:13 pm

Razzgriz wrote:
Through 1690 and the early 1700s, Stiura and Razzgriz would fight two wars (and several quasi-wars) over trade disputes in the Southern Sea


Would it be possible for the VOC and the SSMA (Southern Sea Merchant's Administration) to have a series of conflicts over emerging markets and contracts in the Southern Sea to serve as the quasi-wars you mention? I figure they're bickering could lead to a major disruption in trade over certain commodities, or possibly having one of their battles accidently claim a docked Sturian or Tásztłí Naval vessel leading to the outbreak of open conflict.

1750s: Maximum Stiuraian colonialism, Stiura uses its presence in the International Island and the leased land to extend its proper colonial influence into Argus, striking further deals for land or trade access among the nations of northwest Central Argus (should any come to exist), including several Hangates.

1780s: Stiura sends expeditions to verify the location of the Swaneeak Atoll, intends to send a colony in 1795 but the formation of the United Republics stalls plans.


I am not quite sure what to say about the latter of the two time-stamps, however: Stiura would have to carefully navigate a deteriorating situation or pick a side if it wished to trade with the Hangates at the time. The mid-1700s is when the divide between the Hangs & Hagmas of Tásztł and the Mahangs of the Khas-Kirati Empire would begin.

Tásztł had been allowed to assert and expand its influence throughout the empire and beyond, practically unchecked thanks to a mandate dubbed the Peace of Vendrithos which had been issued at the turn of the 16th century. The Southeastern heartland of the KKE had nearly completely "Íszkárífied" culturally to the point that even the Buddhist population of the 2nd Tamsaling Hangate, which had long been the main religion of the hangate, had become a minority in their own homeland. Many of the hangates began to fear that this would soon be the fate of the entire empire as the Hangate of Sinja had now begun to show signs of "Íszkárífication" during this time as well.

The fear was so deeply rooted that hangates, such as the Chhantyal, would begin to outright ignore the mandate leading to the Chhantyal-Tásztłí War in the late 1750s. By the 1770s the Mahangs would begin to play their part as well, annulling the mandate and passing harsh taxes on Tásztłí goods sold within the empire.

1) The VOC itself would be removed from Isles affairs somewhere around 1700, fifty years prior "Stiura’s trading influence grows both locally and internationally, eventually striking a deal with the Dutch to buy out the VOCs remaining stake in the Western Isles (officially removing the Netherlands from regional canon) and take over their business". Now this could and likely will be replaced by a Stiuraian counterpart, so the concept of the Stiuraian "VOC" fighting the quasi-war against the SSMA is within the realm of possibility. As for the reasons behind the two official wars, the reasoning you're getting to is generally where I've thought these would go. Enough violations of trust between the two nations over trading rights in the Southern Sea leads to destruction of property on both sides, and wars are fought over reparations regarding said property and attempts to enforce the political will of each nation on each other.

2) Regarding Swaneeak, this is more of a sponsored thing by the Stiuraian government rather than an explicit expedition outfitted by Stiura proper, that was the plan for the 1795 Expedition but, as mentioned, the Dormillian Revolution and the formation of the United Republics stalled those plans until the early mid-1800s.

3) Regarding Stiuraian relations with the wider Khas-Kirat realm during the period of Íszkárífication and efforts by the mainland Hangates to counter this. Stiura is better suited to navigate and play both sides, utilizing its growing wealth to influence both, gain preferential deals, and ultimately come out on top of any conflict fought between the Tasztl and the mainland Hangates. By what you said here, there's an implication that the mainland Hangates came out on top, and were able to exact tariffs against the Tasztl, a fact that Stiura would ultimately attempt to exploit to shaky results, further convincing the Stiuraian government to look back towards Gael as a source for future prosperity. Perhaps the strengthening of the Mahangs themselves as a result of the Chhantyal-Tasztli War would also precipitate the escalation of the conflict on the International Island, leading to the end of the 1740 Coalition and its occupation.
The United Republics of Dormill and Stiura
Freedom, Unity, Democracy
Join The Western Isles and chart your own path!
"Interacting with Dormill and Stiura; violently." -Balnik, 2021
"DAZ CONGRATULATING SOMEONE FOR GETTING 60%! this is a highlight of my day!" Ainslie, 2021

User avatar
Razzgriz
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 395
Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Razzgriz » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:09 pm

Dormill and Stiura wrote:1) The VOC itself would be removed from Isles affairs somewhere around 1700, fifty years prior "Stiura’s trading influence grows both locally and internationally, eventually striking a deal with the Dutch to buy out the VOCs remaining stake in the Western Isles (officially removing the Netherlands from regional canon) and take over their business". Now this could and likely will be replaced by a Stiuraian counterpart, so the concept of the Stiuraian "VOC" fighting the quasi-war against the SSMA is within the realm of possibility. As for the reasons behind the two official wars, the reasoning you're getting to is generally where I've thought these would go. Enough violations of trust between the two nations over trading rights in the Southern Sea leads to destruction of property on both sides, and wars are fought over reparations regarding said property and attempts to enforce the political will of each nation on each other.

2) Regarding Swaneeak, this is more of a sponsored thing by the Stiuraian government rather than an explicit expedition outfitted by Stiura proper, that was the plan for the 1795 Expedition but, as mentioned, the Dormillian Revolution and the formation of the United Republics stalled those plans until the early mid-1800s.

3) Regarding Stiuraian relations with the wider Khas-Kirat realm during the period of Íszkárífication and efforts by the mainland Hangates to counter this. Stiura is better suited to navigate and play both sides, utilizing its growing wealth to influence both, gain preferential deals, and ultimately come out on top of any conflict fought between the Tasztl and the mainland Hangates. By what you said here, there's an implication that the mainland Hangates came out on top, and were able to exact tariffs against the Tasztl, a fact that Stiura would ultimately attempt to exploit to shaky results, further convincing the Stiuraian government to look back towards Gael as a source for future prosperity. Perhaps the strengthening of the Mahangs themselves as a result of the Chhantyal-Tasztli War would also precipitate the escalation of the conflict on the International Island, leading to the end of the 1740 Coalition and its occupation.


1) In that case how does this sound: The VOC and SSMA had been competing for control over emerging markets within the heart of the Southern Sea since 167?. What initially began as a healthy competition among competitors would begin to transition into armed conflict between the 2 companies by the mid 1680s after several contracts, which had long been given to the SSMA, were usurped by the VOC. In response to this slight, the SSMA attacked VOC merchant fleets sailing along those routes. The VOC would in turn respond in kind, and the war between the 2 companies would see the initial monetary backing of both nations as a way to further their aims without getting directly involved. This would all come to a head in 1689 when a bombing of a VOC warehouse (which is important to the Sturians for some reason) in [insert southern sea nation here] leads to the death of several Sturian Officials who were on a private tour of the property. The man who would later be arrested, [insert name here], was shown to be, not only of Tasztli birth, but a prominent aristocratic from the mainland as well, which the Sturians used to pin the event on the Hangate.

Tasztl would initially agree to pay for the damages and funerals of the fallen, as long as [insert name here] could be tried and sentenced in the Empire. However after it is discovered that [insert name here] has been murdered before he can be transferred to Tasztli custody, the hangate withdraws its ambassadors from any further negotiations and withholds their promised payments until the culprits are found and tried.

After a series of investigations, it is discovered that several Doraltic guards tasked with [insert name here]'s protection were responsible for his death and are subsequently arrested and tried in Sturia. This does little to please the hangate as they wish for the men to be tried in Tasztl, to which the Sturian's abruptly refuse. Seeing the writing on the walls and realizing that Tasztl would not be keeping its promise the Sturia orders its navy to raid Tasztli shipping in the Southern Sea in order to collect their payment, which subsequently leads to the outbreak of war by June of 1690.

3) Chhantyal-Tasztli War ends in a complete disaster for the Hangate of Tásztł and her allies as the Tásztłí army was a shadow of its former self due to years of neglect and favorability towards the navy. The Hangates of Sinja, and most importantly, 2nd Tamsaling were ripped from the Tásztłí sphere of influence as a result giving further leverage to the Mahang to push their agenda and starting the identity crisis you see in the region today.

The Hangate does manage to eventually undermine the Mahang's authority again after a wave of military and civil reforms are passed within Tásztł, alongside successful meddling in the affairs of what would become San Montagna. With all this said, I can defiantly see Sturia attempting to play both sides, though I am most curious as to how D&S would handle the Empire's most polarizing decades leading to war in 18

Edit: What was the United Republic's relationship with the French after their independence? I figured that Tásztł could've hired a few french military officers and implement some of Napoleon's military reforms to aid in the reorganization of the hangate's own army.



*Just a side note: I know I keep switching between Tásztłí and Íszkárí a lot, so I wanted to point out the lore behind it. Tásztłí and Íszkárí mean the same thing, the former is just the Uszíān version, while the latter is the Kræcí version. The Kræcí had managed to unite the archipelago long before the Uszíāns and Corinthusi arrived, and would be used to describe the tribes who did not hail from the empire at the time. Ignoring the fact that Cathreilaen (later to be Íszkárífied into Káðrílæn) was the most popular way to refer to the isles from the time of the Corinthusi invasion up until the end of 1176, in 1177 the Uszíāns would come into power once more after what remained of the New Kræcí Confederacy submits. Since the Kræcí and Yælí (corinthusi remnants) hated each other, but hated the Khas-Kirati more, Tásztł became the natural way to refer to the island chain.

This would persist until the late 17th century as Tásztł became associated with loyalty to the Mahang, allowing for Íszkáríá to become the new term to express the archipelago's identity.
Last edited by Razzgriz on Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
____ The Empire of the Iszkárien Isles____
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Learn more about it here

Interested in, or want to participate in the Beyond the Isles Project Click here

User avatar
Athara Magarat
Minister
 
Posts: 2509
Founded: Oct 08, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Athara Magarat » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:58 am

Keep in mind that Chhantyal Hangate is Townside and if you guys are trying to involve that hangate, you guys need to talk to Townside as well.

Also, DS, I am putting this link here so we can collab on more wars maybe?

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=ath ... id=1508500
Last edited by Athara Magarat on Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Member of the The Western Isles.




Please read my dispatches regarding the context of the symbol on the flag.

What the symbol really is...

What my flag stands for...

And my IC constitution

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ceryana, Disgraces, Honourbound, The English Socialist Union of Oceania, Universalius, Zartobania

Advertisement

Remove ads