NATION

PASSWORD

National Mary-Sue?

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]
Caiium
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

National Mary-Sue?

Postby Caiium » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:44 am

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread, but I'd like some help forming my nation. Caiium Marium is a nation loosely based on Rome (as so many nations here are). How can I prevent Caiium Marium from becoming just another Rome copy?

Some background on my nation: Caiium Marium was an isolationist nation that kept the feudal system until recently, when the populace revolted and overthrew the monarchy. The Caii people believe themselves to be the descendants of the Roman Consul Caius Marius, who armed the urban poor. Caii cities are named after Roman cities, with the capital being named Nova Cereatae, after the birthplace of Caius Marius.
"I'm sorry sir, we're going to have to detain you; you're not carrying enough firearms..."
-a Nova Cereatae Police Officer

Vote in our elections!

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:37 pm

Is this the Caius/Gaius Marius you're modelling your Rome after? Apparently, he was a civil and military genius turned butcher, a jumpstart peasant and the man who delivered Rome safely from a massive Germanic assault. In addition to completely cleaning up crime in his Spanish governorate, he won the hearts of the Roman legions by actually dining and working alongside them in the field.

You chose a really interesting character to base your Rome off of. That alone makes you different from other Roman states.
Last edited by TURTLESHROOM II on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus loves you and died for you!
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter
"NOOKULAR" STOCKPILE: 701,033 fission and dropping, 7 fusion.
CM wrote:Have I reached peak enlightened centrism yet? I'm getting chills just thinking about taking an actual position.

Proctopeo wrote:anarcho-von habsburgism

Lillorainen wrote:"Tengri's balls, [do] boys really never grow up?!"
Nuroblav wrote:On the contrary! Seize the means of ROBOT ARMS!
News ticker (updated 4/6/2024 AD):

As TS adapts to new normal, large flagellant sects remain -|- TurtleShroom forfeits imperial dignity -|- "Skibidi Toilet" creator awarded highest artistic honor for contributions to wholesome family entertainment (obscene gestures cut out)

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:39 pm

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:Is... this the Caius/Gaius Marius you're modelling your Rome after? Apparently, he was a military genius turned butcher.

You make that sound as if it were a bad thing.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Caiium
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Caiium » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:49 pm

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:Is... this the Caius/Gaius Marius you're modelling your Rome after? Apparently, he was a military genius turned butcher.

Precisely
"I'm sorry sir, we're going to have to detain you; you're not carrying enough firearms..."
-a Nova Cereatae Police Officer

Vote in our elections!

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:38 pm

Purpelia wrote:You make that sound as if it were a bad thing.

How he got elected the seventh time is beyond me.

Anyway, that link I mentioned was a thrilling read and I suggest that all of you enjoy it yourself. I edited the post and added some after thoughts to my post that you missed because of my delayed posting.
Jesus loves you and died for you!
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter
"NOOKULAR" STOCKPILE: 701,033 fission and dropping, 7 fusion.
CM wrote:Have I reached peak enlightened centrism yet? I'm getting chills just thinking about taking an actual position.

Proctopeo wrote:anarcho-von habsburgism

Lillorainen wrote:"Tengri's balls, [do] boys really never grow up?!"
Nuroblav wrote:On the contrary! Seize the means of ROBOT ARMS!
News ticker (updated 4/6/2024 AD):

As TS adapts to new normal, large flagellant sects remain -|- TurtleShroom forfeits imperial dignity -|- "Skibidi Toilet" creator awarded highest artistic honor for contributions to wholesome family entertainment (obscene gestures cut out)

Fatatatutti
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 02, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Fatatatutti » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:10 am

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:... he won the hearts of the Roman legions by actually dining and working alongside them in the field.

Sounds like a Fatatatutian General.

Tierra Prime
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tierra Prime » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:23 am

Caiium wrote:I'm not sure if this is the correct thread, but I'd like some help forming my nation. Caiium Marium is a nation loosely based on Rome (as so many nations here are). How can I prevent Caiium Marium from becoming just another Rome copy?

Some background on my nation: Caiium Marium was an isolationist nation that kept the feudal system until recently, when the populace revolted and overthrew the monarchy. The Caii people believe themselves to be the descendants of the Roman Consul Caius Marius, who armed the urban poor. Caii cities are named after Roman cities, with the capital being named Nova Cereatae, after the birthplace of Caius Marius.

If you're a newly founded republic which has a semi-feudal system, it might be an idea to have your senate be composed of local nobles, who represent the rulers of the old feudal duchies. Over time, the senate may concentrate power in itself by abolishing the duchies in favour of direct rule though a hierarchy of offices similar to the Roman cursus honorum. The dukes would be persuaded into giving up their fiefs in return for a senate seat, not having their heads cut off by their subjects, and a chance at securing high office. Serving as consul or censor would grant power over the entire nation, power that a duke normally would not possess. Serving as consul would also grant a military command, and quite a significant one, as the consular armies eventually reached 20,000 men each. This number would have continued to grow had the Roman republic survived. The chance of being re-elected and the promise of a permanent senate seat after leaving office would also be a strong draw.
Last edited by Tierra Prime on Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information