NATION

PASSWORD

Infantry Discussion Thread part 11: Gallas Razor edition.

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:55 am

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:What are the benefits to having a large amount of suppressor? A less noisy battlefield?

It makes it somewhat harder for enemy troops to accurately figure out your position by sound or flash and helps deal with the sticky issue of hearing loss among combat troops. In theory troops are supposed to be wearing ear protection but the problem is that wearing it makes it hard to hear orders and to communicate, which means that a lot of troops don't wear it. Nowadays there are some fancy digital ear protection systems that can screen out noise like gunshots while still allowing human voices through but these are expensive and add to the soldier's electrical consumption. A suppressor is cheaper and can bring noise down to more acceptable levels, but requires regular cleaning.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:07 am

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:What are the benefits to having a large amount of suppressor? A less noisy battlefield?

Persceived benefits from the USMC trails so far:

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017 ... ssors.html
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:12 am

The Akasha Colony wrote:

It makes it somewhat harder for enemy troops to accurately figure out your position by sound or flash and helps deal with the sticky issue of hearing loss among combat troops. In theory troops are supposed to be wearing ear protection but the problem is that wearing it makes it hard to hear orders and to communicate, which means that a lot of troops don't wear it. Nowadays there are some fancy digital ear protection systems that can screen out noise like gunshots while still allowing human voices through but these are expensive and add to the soldier's electrical consumption. A suppressor is cheaper and can bring noise down to more acceptable levels, but requires regular cleaning.

Beyond what Akasha said, noise doesn't just enter a person's body (nor even his ears) via the ear canal. Making the original sound of the noise (the gun, in this case) slightly less noisy is better, in terms of preserving the soldier's health, than putting ear protection on him. Because the US government (and most other militaries) is legally on the hook for any medical costs incurred by the soldier even after their service, reducing hearing damage is actually a serious saving.

Hearing damage is not only a contributor to a loss of productivity in the work place, but it also a contributor to a variety of physical ailments and injuries throughout a person's later life, including mental health issues (tinnitus causes people immense suffering). For this reason trying to reduce, where possible, the noise produced by the one piece of equipment closest to the soldier throughout his service, makes brilliant sense.

That's, of course, if it actually works.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:21 pm

Crookfur wrote:

Persceived benefits from the USMC trails so far:

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017 ... ssors.html

"Not having to scream at the top of your lungs" is reason #1. Screaming is tiring and you're screwed if your voice breaks. If you rely on radios for intra-squad comms you're SOL when you get jammed.
REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:27 pm

The USA would just surrender the second the radios break anyway.

I wonder how a silencer reacts with a gunshot locator or muzzle flash detector. Signature management is probably in the top three reasons of why you'd put silencers on every heater, because the Russians are going to have things like Boomerang and PILAR in the future, if they don't already. Not being blown up by a grenade launcher the second you start shooting is great, possibly better than not having to undergo surgery to remove vocal cord polyps.
Last edited by Gallia- on Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Austrasien
Minister

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Austrasien » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:45 pm

Noise on modern battlefields is what black powder smoke was on the battlefields of the Napoleonic wars.

Once it starts being reduced for real everyone will remember how great it is to actually hear again.
The leafposter formerly known as The Kievan People

The weak crumble, are slaughtered and are erased from history while the strong survive. The strong are respected and in the end, peace is made with the strong.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:53 pm

Austrasien wrote:Noise on modern battlefields is what black powder smoke was on the battlefields of the Napoleonic wars.

Once it starts being reduced for real everyone will remember how great it is to actually hear again.

At least modern soldiers don't have the luxury of several guys behind them shooting their guns literally right next to/above their heads. I hear smoke and embers are good for the skin.
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:12 pm

How difficult is it to make a suppressor for a weapon? I'm sure handguns are simple enough, but getting up to rifles and even cal. 50s has got to be quite the challenge.

A danger I'd be worried about is how fragile a suppressor is. I'm sure they aren't made of tissue paper, but how easily can a suppressor be bent or broken? What if a soldier dives into a foxhole and their suppressor digs into the dirt or a rock? Will they be shooting sideways, Krummlauf-style until the suppressor literally explodes?
militant radical centrist in the sheets, neoclassical realist in the streets.
Saving this here so I can peruse it at my leisure.
In IC the Federated Kingdom of Prussia, 1950s-2000s timeline. Prussia backs a third-world Balkans puppet state called Sal Kataria.

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:32 pm

A bent suppressor will explode on the first shot, but modern cans aren't that fragile.

Rifle suppressors are not that large (about 5" length, maybe 1" diameter?) and integral suppression would move the suppressor over the barrel rather than along the length of the firearm.
REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010

Postby The Akasha Colony » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:44 pm

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:How difficult is it to make a suppressor for a weapon? I'm sure handguns are simple enough, but getting up to rifles and even cal. 50s has got to be quite the challenge.

A danger I'd be worried about is how fragile a suppressor is. I'm sure they aren't made of tissue paper, but how easily can a suppressor be bent or broken? What if a soldier dives into a foxhole and their suppressor digs into the dirt or a rock? Will they be shooting sideways, Krummlauf-style until the suppressor literally explodes?

It's not particularly difficult. A suppressor is basically just a steel tube with some steel baffles inside, to catch and disperse the muzzle blast from firing rather than letting it dissipate in the environment. The trouble isn't so much the caliber as it is dealing with high volumes of fire because the suppressor heats up extremely quickly due to catching all of that hot exhaust gas.

As a result of their simple design, they're generally fairly durable because they're just steel tubes. Anything that damages a suppressor would damage a regular gun barrel anyway, and a modern carbine with a suppressor is about the same length of a conventional rifle with a 20" barrel.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Arkandros
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkandros » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:46 pm

Given that the military is perpetually good at penny pinching, how would integral suppressors be retrofitted onto old rifles? Would they just drill ports into existing barrels, cut a backseat for the can, and call it good, or would it require a whole new barrel?
“I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.”
John F. Kennedy

Free-Don
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Free-Don » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:31 am

34.50 buckaroos

for when you're willing to risk general safety in exchange for ear safety.

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:56 am

Arkandros wrote:Given that the military is perpetually good at penny pinching, how would integral suppressors be retrofitted onto old rifles? Would they just drill ports into existing barrels, cut a backseat for the can, and call it good, or would it require a whole new barrel?

They are buying and fitting new barrels on a fairly regular schedule so they would likely just roll them out through the regular process. High priority units would get the suppressor barrels first and likely trade in thier existing stock of spare barrels which will likely get dumped on lower priority units.

Eventually the existing stock of barrels, if not consumed quickly enough, could be dumped on the surplus market or even just recycled.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2012

Postby Puzikas » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:51 am

Taihei Tengoku wrote:A bent suppressor will explode on the first shot, but modern cans aren't that fragile.

Rifle suppressors are not that large (about 5" length, maybe 1" diameter?) and integral suppression would move the suppressor over the barrel rather than along the length of the firearm.

Theres normally a bit larger than 1". 1-1/8" to 1-1/2".
Some are as large as 2" for 5.56.

The Akasha Colony wrote:. A suppressor is basically just a steel tube with some steel baffles inside

Most suppressor baffles are actually made of titanium, aluminum and things like inconel.
Cheaper suppressors do have stainless tho.
Last edited by Puzikas on Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sevvania wrote:I don't post much, but I am always here.
Usually waiting for Puz ;-;

Goodbye.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:53 am

The best way to silence a weapon is to drop it off at one of your local surrender bins #SafeStreets
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Rhodesialund
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesialund » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:54 pm

Free-Don wrote:34.50 buckaroos

for when you're willing to risk general safety in exchange for ear safety.

If you actually valued being able to see down the irons/optics...

Name: Valintina/Tina
Bio: President Donald Trump's Concubine

Austrasien
Minister

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Austrasien » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:30 pm

Improvised suppressors would be useless. They will heat up and burst, they are absolutely not useful for firing in volume.
The leafposter formerly known as The Kievan People

The weak crumble, are slaughtered and are erased from history while the strong survive. The strong are respected and in the end, peace is made with the strong.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:49 pm

The cost of even the most expensive suppressors is essentially negligible in context of the cost of US military training. Evenif they cost $1500 a reduction of casualties and injuries saves money and resources.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Rhodesialund
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesialund » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:38 pm

Austrasien wrote:Improvised suppressors would be useless. They will heat up and burst, they are absolutely not useful for firing in volume.

Not exactly useless, especially if you were a partisan fighting behind enemy lines or some sort of terrorist organization.
Name: Valintina/Tina
Bio: President Donald Trump's Concubine

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2012

Postby Puzikas » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:40 pm

Sound suppressors prices are artificially inflated by ATF cost, licencing and legal hurtles required to produce them

An exceptionally high-quality sound suppressor realistically costs like $300-600 to produce probably, but part of that cost on the civilian market is cost of labor, markup, low volume production, and the ATFs cut.

If sound suppressors were de-regulated (not to be political) in the US, their costs would drop pretty significantly and you could get a more accurate assessment of cost.
Sevvania wrote:I don't post much, but I am always here.
Usually waiting for Puz ;-;

Goodbye.

Free-Don
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Free-Don » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:15 pm

Austrasien wrote:Improvised suppressors would be useless. They will heat up and burst, they are absolutely not useful for firing in volume.

I've set up the majority of my military as a militia/provincial guard/partisan groups/national guard that mainly work with police/emergency services and some military support, I call them Light Rifles.

Their duties are mainly: border defense, natural disasters, police assistance, protection of important facilities, giving teens and young adult something to do/build up the youth, give the old folks hobbies and job oppurtunities, etc.

If I was going to make homemade fuel can suppressors some type of standard it would probably be a page in a rifle manual with maybe a thread adapter, cleaning brush, and somewhat uncessary takedown tool taped to the back of the manual. Total invest for my nation in this would be pennies and dimes when compared to just shooting in general.

It would be mostly used for extra hearing protection when doing: range shooting, live fire drills, and field craft/sneaky training stuff.

Moving on the discussion about hearing protection previously touched on.

Currently people are switching to electronic ear protection because it' protective and allows for the user to hear the environment better/just as well.
I've been using something like these for a while with the limited amount of shooting I do. Except mine are suspossed to be 32 db and were 5 US Buckaroos cheaper. Would these things be suitable for a fairly corrupt and somewhat industrial nation? (Think Philippines or current Ukraine)
Last edited by Free-Don on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:21 pm

Crookfur wrote:
Arkandros wrote:Given that the military is perpetually good at penny pinching, how would integral suppressors be retrofitted onto old rifles? Would they just drill ports into existing barrels, cut a backseat for the can, and call it good, or would it require a whole new barrel?

They are buying and fitting new barrels on a fairly regular schedule so they would likely just roll them out through the regular process. High priority units would get the suppressor barrels first and likely trade in thier existing stock of spare barrels which will likely get dumped on lower priority units.

Eventually the existing stock of barrels, if not consumed quickly enough, could be dumped on the surplus market or even just recycled.

Is it possible for something like M16 (or G11) to an integral suppressor? Or a flechette firing M16? Because I really want to be able to convert Galla's M16A1s to something LUDICROUS like a integrally suppressed flechette rifle. And G11 for a silenced hyperburst. I ask because all integrally suppressed weapons I've seen tend to be bespoke and I'm not sure what kind of rebuilding would be necessary accommodate an integral suppressor on an M16 or a G11-type weapon.

Puzikas wrote:Sound suppressors prices are artificially inflated by ATF cost, licencing and legal hurtles required to produce them

An exceptionally high-quality sound suppressor realistically costs like $300-600 to produce probably, but part of that cost on the civilian market is cost of labor, markup, low volume production, and the ATFs cut.

If sound suppressors were de-regulated (not to be political) in the US, their costs would drop pretty significantly and you could get a more accurate assessment of cost.

So maybe $100 in reality? Or cheaper?

What about integral suppression? Would it be possible to suppress a flechette firing rifle since these have massive reports and whatnot, so I think it would be the first place that it would appear in Galla's military, with a slow diffusion down to conventional rifles like G11/M16 and M231/MARS submachine guns. I'm mostly concerned with 1) the gas system needing to be moved around a lot; 2) potential rebuilding of the whole fore end. The latter is more important for G11 than M16, while the former might be equally important for either.

I guess for mid 2020s Galla you'd start seeing the introduction of integrally suppressed flechette firing rifles and hyperbursts en masse.

Main thing is that I want to keep the triangle handguards because Galla is still against the idea of giving troops the ability to modify their god-given armaments and that seems to be mandatory with an integral silencer as it does with a QD one since they both build up big heat.
Last edited by Gallia- on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:35 pm

(Mathematical economics was viewed with especial disfavor during the Stalinist era, and one of its proponents, Nikolai Voznesensky, was not only fired but fired upon.)

Weird though. Because the USSR masturbated to mathematics everywhere else. I guess that's the real difference between Galla and USSR. There's no cognitive dissonance between Lenin's masturbation to mathematics in either the economic or military spheres. Building the future with slide rules and supercomputers, to the stars, forever. Galla the Bravest civilization? Possibly.
Last edited by Gallia- on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theodosiya
Minister

Founded: Oct 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Theodosiya » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:23 am

So, yesterday I had an airsoft skirmish...

There's a M16. Tried to lift it. Turns out longer than I expect. And I'm 170ish.

Btw, is there any complete USMC gear list, and with prices?
The strong rules over the weak
And the weak are ruled by the strong
It is the natural order

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information