NATION

PASSWORD

Infantry Discussion Thread part 11: Gallas Razor edition.

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:34 am

Crookfur wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Basically my thought is on shotgun shells for an XM-25 like device so that the weapon can double up as the squad automatic shotgun.
Like, I really like the idea of having an XM-25 like weapon for long range grenade throwing but also having an auto shotgun for murdering everyone inside a building and I figure I could combine the two into a novelty weapon that would look nice, show up in a few arms expos and than newer appear in the field since that's how cool weapons always end up.

That's fine and might work.

It's not particularly novel, just about everyone who has played with 20-30mm GLs concepts has also played with defensive shot loads as an option.

It was considered for production for XM25 anyway. Along with HEAT/HEDP rounds for anti-BMP.

Free-Don
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Free-Don » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:41 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KS-23

I've basically done the same for my AMR barrels, aircraft cannons, AA guns, and various other rejected 20mm barrels from the interwar until the 1990. Converting the 20mm barrels to shotguns (the "worse" ones are sold off in bulk to private companies) and bolt action GLs.
Last edited by Free-Don on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Austrasien
Minister

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Austrasien » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:49 am

A great way to make a shotgun that is crappy and weighs too much.
The leafposter formerly known as The Kievan People

The weak crumble, are slaughtered and are erased from history while the strong survive. The strong are respected and in the end, peace is made with the strong.

Free-Don
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Free-Don » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:58 am

Austrasien wrote:A great way to make a shotgun that is crappy and weighs too much.

How so? For a 4 gauge the KS is pretty light and all I'm making are regular 12-10 gauge.

Austrasien
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Austrasien » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:10 am

How many other 4 gauge shotguns are there that aren't ancient and/or custom made?

Autocannons have higher operating pressures than shotguns. The popular 20mm Oerlikon cannon operates at about 44,000 PSI versus the SAAMI specified 11,500 PSI maximum permissible pressure for common 12 gauge shells. And being automatic weapons they are meant to resist intense barrel heating. A cut-down autocannon barrel will be significantly thicker and heavier than is necessary unless you bore a lot of it out.

The weak crumble, are slaughtered and are erased from history while the strong survive. The strong are respected and in the end, peace is made with the strong.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:55 am

Puzikas wrote:and some current NSers I am glad to call friends

Hey that's me. I am friend
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Austrasien
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Austrasien » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:58 am

Puzikas wrote:Thought I'd give some short term sperg as I am quite bored and as usual after a long shift I have become wide awake upon returning home.

Puzikas wrote:short term sperg

Puzikas wrote:sperg

:eek: :eek: :eek:

BAN THIS SICK FILTH

Cosparia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosparia » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:20 am

So here's my current idea for a Cosparian Army light infantry battalion:

- Rifle Company (3 rifle platoons each with 3 rifle squads)
- Rifle Company
- Rifle Company
- Weapons Company (includes HMG platoon, 81mm mortar platoon, and missile/assault weapon platoon)
- Support Company (includes medical platoon, supply and logistics platoon, and transportation platoon)

Each rifle squad is in an admittedly wonky setup, and currently has four NCOs, a rifleman, two grenadiers, two automatic riflemen, a machine gunner with a GPMG, an anti-tank gunner with a shoulder-fired launcher/RR, and the No.2 for the MG and AT:

- Squad Leader
Alpha Team:
- Team Leader
- Rifleman
- Grenadier
- Auto Rifleman
Bravo Team:
- Team Leader
- Auto Rifleman
- AT Gunner with CG/SMAW
- AT No.2
Charlie Team:
- Team Leader
- Grenadier
- Machine Gunner with MAG
- Machine Gun No.2

I'm thinking about eliminating one TL and putting the AT and MG teams into a 5-man weapons team headed by the SQL, with two conventional 4-man fireteams as maneuver elements:

Weapons/HQ team:
- Squad Leader
- Machine Gunner with MAG
- Machine Gun No.2
- AT Gunner with CG/SMAW
- AT No.2
Maneuver teams (x2):
- Team Leader
- Rifleman
- Grenadier
- Auto Riflemen
Disregard most NS stats, I don't play by those rules.
I take a very dim view of politicians IRL.

19-year-old American. Interest in military, history, politics, and firearms. Hobbies include airsoft, gaming, and NS (obviously).
PRO: Guns, weed, border security, strong military, militia, capitalism, Constitution, republicanism, right-libertarianism, choice.
ANTI: Gun-control, Democrat, Republican, Trump, fascism, Antifa, Black Lives Matter, Blue Lives Matter, tyranny, communism, domestic spying, foreign involvement.

Rhodesialund
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesialund » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:23 am

Puzikas wrote:Prepped and ready we wished our human ballistic gel off. Imaging gave me the story I was expecting and my once over told me I was dealing with a 12 gauge GSW with buckshot-I never see anything but 00 buck, slug or #7½ bird, and this was obviously buck.

I have to ask since this was brought up. What is the most common shotgun loading you see in GSW in the ER? It's more or less out of personal curiosity and what the general trend is.

On another related question. Which of these loadings has consistently made treatment difficult and/or has a higher mortality rate?
Name: Valintina/Tina
Bio: President Donald Trump's Concubine

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Puzikas » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:19 pm

Austrasien wrote:
Puzikas wrote:Thought I'd give some short term sperg as I am quite bored and as usual after a long shift I have become wide awake upon returning home.

Puzikas wrote:short term sperg

Puzikas wrote:sperg

:eek: :eek: :eek:

BAN THIS SICK FILTH

How dare I associated myself with something someone finds offensive
How dare I genuinely hold an opinion that can offend people just like they can me
I better go to the gulag

P.s., fuck your feelings, day of the Rake when?

Austrasien wrote:How many other 4 gauge shotguns are there that aren't ancient and/or custom made?

None! Because the KS-23 is a unique special purpose weapon. It's operating pressure is dramatically higher than that of a 12 gauge shotgun (but lower than that of a 23mm auto cannon) and hurls rod-mortars containing gas for riot control and extremely large payload shells.

Cosparia wrote:Keep in mind that, unless you're packing flechette shells, shotguns become useless against hostiles wearing body armor

100% untrue, they just aren't as effective.

Rhodesialund wrote:I have to ask since this was brought up. What is the most common shotgun loading you see in GSW in the ER? It's more or less out of personal curiosity and what the general trend is.

12 gauge 00 buck, usually some variation of the low-recoil loads, followed by #7½, which is around here the cheapest ammunition you can get that's not .22lr ($22.70+tax for 100 rounds from Walmart), #4 Trukey shot, 000 buck, Slug, and then everything else.

I use #1 shot because #1 shot is objectively the best defensive shotgun loading. 16-18 pellets with a mean weight of 41 grains, limited over penetration and wider spread means higher likelihood of hitting, less risk of collateral damage, and more likelihood of stopping the target with a single shot.

Rhodesialund wrote:On another related question. Which of these loadings has consistently made treatment difficult and/or has a higher mortality rate?

No one ever lives from a hit to like 54-63% of total body surface area (using rule of 9s, which is confusing) from a slug.

Plentiful shot like #1 or #2 are often pains in the ass to stabilize. 00 and 000 are obviously effective, and 0 buck is super rare to see. If you can find 0000 buck then bravo I guess because you have found a unicorn, I've not seen a patient hit by it.
Sevvania wrote:I don't post much, but I am always here.
Usually waiting for Puz ;-;

Goodbye.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:55 pm

I remember the rake picture.

It is still exquisite in my mind eye.

e: But mostly because it was a rake wearing a suit tbh.
Last edited by Gallia- on Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Khornatenreich
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Khornatenreich » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:20 pm

Gallia- wrote:
Sevvania wrote:I immediately tried to figure out how a military could get away with having a shotgun as the primary service weapon instead of a proper rifle,

Be Sumer.

And what did Sumer do? I'm seriously curious about this now.
NS Mods are Huxlian Parasites, don't do a badthink goys!
Member of the Committee for Proletarian Morality
Serbia, Hungary, Austria & Finland have the right idea, preserve European Ethnic & Cultural Integrity against the southern hordes for future generations!
Multikulti ist ein Krebsgeschwür, brenne es die Hölle aus!

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:51 pm

Khornatenreich wrote:
Gallia- wrote:
Be Sumer.

And what did Sumer do? I'm seriously curious about this now.

Sumer's old/sort of current nation setting featured lots of very flat desert hence big tanks and HIFVs. Due to the long sight lines it was death for infantry to dismount thier HIFVs before they reached the enemy lines and had to engage the enemy at extremely close ranges (or something like that, it all sounded really nicely thought out and vaguely plausible at any rate).

Combine this with Sumer having a several month long joygasm from playing with pump shotguns with no disconnect and naturally his IC nation used lots of shotguns...

It's kind of like how you used to be able to tell what was featured in last month's Airforces Monthly by looking at what new aircraft I designed and what new features they had...
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:54 pm

I shamelessly stole a template from the internet, kinda abandoned all the intricate details I wanted but that's okay because I really just wanted to play with colors.

DO NOT LOOK AT THE GREEN DUDES. I did not touch their uniforms because I wasn't going to use them. The ones I did fix up are all the grey dudes:

So what do you guys think?

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted
Kar-Esseria wrote:Who is that and are they female because if not then they can go make love to their hand.
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Go home Polska wins NS.
United Mongol Hordes wrote:Polska isn't exactly the nicest guy in the world
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Hurd you miss the point more than Polska misses Poland.
Rhodesialund wrote:when you have Charlie ten feet away or something operating operationally.
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Gayla is living in 1985 but these guys are already in 1916

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:28 pm

How useful/practical/possible would it be for a 20mm autocannon in mid-late WWII to have shaped charge projectiles available? One problem that may ruin it straight away is how do you make it use the rifling/how delicate is the round.

I know the XM29 had plans for some kind of shaped charge shell, so it seems that at size it's at least possible. But with a full powered autocannon, would the penetration is offers (whatever that might be) be made redundant by a regular AP round? And would it not actually be possible at that velocity before electronic detonators? I know that's the problem they had when changing over to shaped charges in HV tank guns.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Laritaia
Senator

Founded: Jan 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:38 pm

Fordorsia wrote:How practical/possible would it be for a 20mm autocannon in mid-late WWII to have shaped charge projectiles available?

it wouldn't, the materials science just isn't there.
The understanding of the mechanics of shaped charge effects full stop just wasn't amazingly well understood, let alone what would be required to shrink one down to 20mm.
Last edited by Laritaia on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:03 pm

NeuPolska wrote:I shamelessly stole a template from the internet, kinda abandoned all the intricate details I wanted but that's okay because I really just wanted to play with colors.

DO NOT LOOK AT THE GREEN DUDES. I did not touch their uniforms because I wasn't going to use them. The ones I did fix up are all the grey dudes:

They take their MBAs very seriously.
REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:44 pm

Austrasien wrote: :eek: :eek: :eek:

BAN THIS SICK FILTH
Puzikas wrote:How dare I associated myself with something someone finds offensive
How dare I genuinely hold an opinion that can offend people just like they can me
I better go to the gulag

I didn't realize this had anything to do with infantry discussion? Maybe I'm on the wrong website... Nope. Still NS.

If people want to keep these threads, I suggest they keep them topical and without the content already ruled entirely unacceptable on this site. Just because it was said in another thread, doesn't mean it doesn't apply to all of them. You wanna shitpost? Take it somewhere else. It's on NS? It will be dealt with. Period.
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:49 pm

it's 2010 all over again
REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Rhodesialund
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesialund » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:04 pm

Puzikas wrote:12 gauge 00 buck, usually some variation of the low-recoil loads, followed by #7½, which is around here the cheapest ammunition you can get that's not .22lr ($22.70+tax for 100 rounds from Walmart), #4 Trukey shot, 000 buck, Slug, and then everything else.

I use #1 shot because #1 shot is objectively the best defensive shotgun loading. 16-18 pellets with a mean weight of 41 grains, limited over penetration and wider spread means higher likelihood of hitting, less risk of collateral damage, and more likelihood of stopping the target with a single shot.

Cool. I usually find myself going with slugs, specifically Foster slugs instead of the Brenneke-style. Granted this starts delving into the topic of overpenetration which becomes a massive point of contention on whether or not slugs penetrate more/less than (insert number of zeros) buck. :meh:

(Keep in mind I'm not taking sides in the argument. Some will penetrate further than others depending upon the material)

No one ever lives from a hit to like 54-63% of total body surface area (using rule of 9s, which is confusing) from a slug.

Plentiful shot like #1 or #2 are often pains in the ass to stabilize. 00 and 000 are obviously effective, and 0 buck is super rare to see. If you can find 0000 buck then bravo I guess because you have found a unicorn, I've not seen a patient hit by it.

I've seen slug wounds from pictures on the internet, it's gruesome and is rather expected from a 430-something grain piece of lead. Just curious about the validation of slugs from a medical professional such as yourself.
Name: Valintina/Tina
Bio: President Donald Trump's Concubine

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:06 pm

Taihei Tengoku wrote:
NeuPolska wrote:I shamelessly stole a template from the internet, kinda abandoned all the intricate details I wanted but that's okay because I really just wanted to play with colors.

They take their MBAs very seriously.

Wut

Srry I don’t get joke :meh:

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted
Kar-Esseria wrote:Who is that and are they female because if not then they can go make love to their hand.
Rhodesialund wrote:when you have Charlie ten feet away or something operating operationally.
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Gayla is living in 1985 but these guys are already in 1916

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:08 pm

Kyrusia wrote:
Austrasien wrote: :eek: :eek: :eek:

BAN THIS SICK FILTH
Puzikas wrote:How dare I associated myself with something someone finds offensive
I better go to the gulag

I didn't realize this had anything to do with infantry discussion? Maybe I'm on the wrong website... Nope. Still NS.

If people want to keep these threads, I suggest they keep them topical and without the content already ruled entirely unacceptable on this site. Just because it was said in another thread, doesn't mean it doesn't apply to all of them. You wanna shitpost? Take it somewhere else. It's on NS? It will be dealt with. Period.

These threads always have and always will have banter, despite countless warnings, bans and locks over the years. Going after it now is pointless. That's just a fact.
Last edited by Fordorsia on Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:09 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Kyrusia wrote:I didn't realize this had anything to do with infantry discussion? Maybe I'm on the wrong website... Nope. Still NS.

These threads always have and always will have banter, despite countless warnings, bands and locks over the years. Going after it now is pointless. That's just a fact.

Dammit Fword do not get this thread locked

I like it here

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:09 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Kyrusia wrote:I didn't realize this had anything to do with infantry discussion? Maybe I'm on the wrong website... Nope. Still NS.

These threads always have and always will have banter, despite countless warnings, bans and locks over the years. Going after it now is pointless. That's just a fact.

Don't poke the mods.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:15 pm

poke poke

Just saying it how it is. You can't just tell a bunch of people to stop doing something that has been normal for over five years years, then expect them to suddenly stop, especially when it's over something said that literally no one cares about. It's extremely naive.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information