NATION

PASSWORD

Infantry Discussion Thread part 11: Gallas Razor edition.

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:30 pm

Purpelia wrote:How often do soldiers die in accidents that happen from improper use of their own firearms, grenades and other gear?

Negligent Discharge is more common than you think.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:42 pm

Purpelia wrote:How often do soldiers die in accidents that happen from improper use of their own firearms, grenades and other gear?

In the US it's something like 1 or 2 every year, on average.

Vassenor wrote:

He means suicide.

Accidental ND death is far less common than people just blowing their brains out with an M16 or whatever.

Cosparia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosparia » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:49 pm

Vassenor wrote:

Especially with open-bolt submachine guns. Carrying a loaded mag in your MP-40 or Sten with the bolt forward was a good way to get shot by your own gun if you weren't careful.

Also, does anybody have any idea what this pouch would be used for?
ImageImage
According to the store, it's an ammo pouch; the vertical stitching on the back gives me the impression that it's designed to carry submachine gun magazines, but there's no side-view photos, so I'm more-or-less in the dark about its true purpose.
Last edited by Cosparia on Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disregard most NS stats, I don't play by those rules.
I take a very dim view of politicians IRL.

19-year-old American. Interest in military, history, politics, and firearms. Hobbies include airsoft, gaming, and NS (obviously).
PRO: Guns, weed, border security, strong military, militia, capitalism, Constitution, republicanism, right-libertarianism, choice.
ANTI: Gun-control, Democrat, Republican, Trump, fascism, Antifa, Black Lives Matter, Blue Lives Matter, tyranny, communism, domestic spying, foreign involvement.

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:50 pm

Fordorsia wrote:Better and cheaper than wearing glasses

Really? Can I go to basic with contacts?

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted
Kar-Esseria wrote:Who is that and are they female because if not then they can go make love to their hand.
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Go home Polska wins NS.
United Mongol Hordes wrote:Polska isn't exactly the nicest guy in the world
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Hurd you miss the point more than Polska misses Poland.
Rhodesialund wrote:when you have Charlie ten feet away or something operating operationally.
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Gayla is living in 1985 but these guys are already in 1916

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013

Postby Gallia- » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:52 pm

NeuPolska wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:Better and cheaper than wearing glasses

Really? Can I go to basic with contacts?

Yes but you get these in return:

e: But I am a sucker for any meganekko so those glasses might be overly cute tbh.
Last edited by Gallia- on Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:03 pm

Cosparia wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Especially with open-bolt submachine guns. Carrying a loaded mag in your MP-40 or Sten with the bolt forward was a good way to get shot by your own gun if you weren't careful.

You can't have an open bolt gun with a round in the chamber and the bolt forward. Open bolts are perfectly safe to carry around because they usually have practically indestructible safeties.
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:11 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Cosparia wrote:Especially with open-bolt submachine guns. Carrying a loaded mag in your MP-40 or Sten with the bolt forward was a good way to get shot by your own gun if you weren't careful.

You can't have an open bolt gun with a round in the chamber and the bolt forward. Open bolts are perfectly safe to carry around because they usually have practically indestructible safeties.

No they really don't. Most open bolt guns actually have rather bad safeties on account of the fact that the safety is most of the time just a notch that locks the bolt back in the open and ready to fire position. And the bad part about it is that if the safety lever AKA the bolt handle gets caught on something and pulled out of alignment the gun instantly fires full auto until it runs dry. And if you keep it bolt forward and unloaded it ain't much better because it can still snag on things and get pulled back just enough to start it firing.

This was so bad that the Germans actually introduced a special extra safety thing on the MP 40. Like seriously. Don't you watch gun jesus?
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Cosparia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Cosparia » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:15 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Cosparia wrote:Especially with open-bolt submachine guns. Carrying a loaded mag in your MP-40 or Sten with the bolt forward was a good way to get shot by your own gun if you weren't careful.

I was referring to the practice of closing the bolt on the empty chamber, then inserting the magazine. That way, all the soldier would need to do was just yank the bolt back and he's ready to send hate downrange. Of course, there were instances where soldiers (usually tank crewmen) did just that, and the charging handle would catch on something, pulling the bolt back just far enough to clear the magazine, but not far enough to catch the sear. Then when the handle was released, it would fly forward, strip a round from the mag, and BANG--something or someone would find a new hole in them.

Purpelia wrote:the gun instantly fires full auto until it runs dry.

Actually no, it wouldn't go until empty--the bolt would catch on the sear after the first shot (unless you had a Sputter Gun or a particularly shoddy weapon).
Last edited by Cosparia on Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

19-year-old American. Interest in military, history, politics, and firearms. Hobbies include airsoft, gaming, and NS (obviously).
PRO: Guns, weed, border security, strong military, militia, capitalism, Constitution, republicanism, right-libertarianism, choice.
ANTI: Gun-control, Democrat, Republican, Trump, fascism, Antifa, Black Lives Matter, Blue Lives Matter, tyranny, communism, domestic spying, foreign involvement.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:16 pm

A notch in the receiver is more than adequate. The bolt handle isn't going anywhere with that spring pushing it forward into the notch unless you purposely remove it.

And the bad part about it is that if the safety lever AKA the bolt handle gets caught on something and pulled out of alignment the gun instantly fires full auto until it runs dry.

Yeah because triggers doesn't real.

Cosparia wrote:I was referring to the practice of closing the bolt on the empty chamber, then inserting the magazine. That way, all the soldier would need to do was just yank the bolt back and he's ready to send hate downrange. Of course, there were instances where soldiers (usually tank crewmen) did just that, and the charging handle would catch on something, pulling the bolt back just far enough to clear the magazine, but not far enough to catch the sear. Then when the handle was released, it would fly forward, strip a round from the mag, and BANG--something or someone would find a new hole in them.

Someone stupid enough to do that would manage to do the same with a closed bolt gun

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Cosparia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Cosparia » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:27 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Cosparia wrote:I was referring to the practice of closing the bolt on the empty chamber, then inserting the magazine. That way, all the soldier would need to do was just yank the bolt back and he's ready to send hate downrange. Of course, there were instances where soldiers (usually tank crewmen) did just that, and the charging handle would catch on something, pulling the bolt back just far enough to clear the magazine, but not far enough to catch the sear. Then when the handle was released, it would fly forward, strip a round from the mag, and BANG--something or someone would find a new hole in them.

Someone stupid enough to do that would manage to do the same with a closed bolt gun

Closed-bolt and open-bolt SMGs have completely different internal operation. An MP5 or similar simply isn't prone to the type of accidents that the MP40 was.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:36 pm

Cosparia wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

Closed-bolt and open-bolt SMGs have completely different internal operation. An MP5 or similar simply isn't prone to the type of accidents that the MP40 was.

Not being prone to having the same kind of fuck up doesn't make a gun any safer, especially since the vast majority of accidental discharges are from the shooter just pulling the trigger with the safety off and a round chambered, even if they were "just cleaning it". In fact open bolts are probably more safe because it's a lot harder to forget to have the safety on and you can actually see in the chamber.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:42 pm

Fordorsia wrote:Yeah because triggers doesn't real.

Yes. The trigger is in fact NOT a factor in that situation because the bolt can be pulled back far enough to go past the magazine and pick up a round but yet not be far enough to catch on the trigger resulting in a catastrophic accident. That's what happens when your sear is behind the magazine and yet your gun fires on closing.

Seriously, just go watch the video on the MP 40.
Last edited by Purpelia on Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:50 pm

Purpelia wrote:Yes. The trigger is in fact NOT a factor in that situation because the bolt can be pulled back far enough to go past the magazine and pick up a round but yet not be far enough to catch on the trigger resulting in a catastrophic accident. That's what happens when your sear is behind the magazine and yet your gun fires on closing.

And the bad part about it is that if the safety lever AKA the bolt handle gets caught on something and pulled out of alignment the gun instantly fires full auto until it runs dry.

As I already explained, someone stupid enough to pull the bolt back halfway would manage to negligently discharge a closed bolt gun. But you're talking about two different things, or nothing, I don't know.

You're just describing one rare way someone would shoot an open bolt gun without wanting to, when that's not even the discussion. The discussion is over the safety, which when disengaged, the bolt is still stopped by the trigger. There's no shooting just because the safety is off, and there certainly isn't any full auto because, you know, the bolt would cycle back and get stopped by the trigger.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:35 pm

Fordorsia wrote:As I already explained, someone stupid enough to pull the bolt back halfway would manage to negligently discharge a closed bolt gun. But you're talking about two different things, or nothing, I don't know.

The thing you do not seem to understand is that this is something that can happen by accident in all manner of situations that do not involve stupidity. This includes but is not limited to entering or exiting vehicles, the thing falling or snagging on something and just generally not constantly keeping your eye on it when doing stuff.

You're just describing one rare way someone would shoot an open bolt gun without wanting to, when that's not even the discussion. The discussion is over the safety, which when disengaged, the bolt is still stopped by the trigger. There's no shooting just because the safety is off, and there certainly isn't any full auto because, you know, the bolt would cycle back and get stopped by the trigger.

The discussion is, as sparked by me so I should bloody know what it's about, asking how many soldiers hurt or kill them self by firearms related mishaps. So this definitively counts.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:43 pm

Purpelia wrote:The thing you do not seem to understand is that this is something that can happen by accident in all manner of situations that do not involve stupidity. This includes but is not limited to entering or exiting vehicles, the thing falling or snagging on something and just generally not constantly keeping your eye on it when doing stuff.

Why is someone carrying their gun around without the safety on? That's how negligent discharges happen, not from the bolt being pulled back halfway.

The discussion is, as sparked by me so I should bloody know what it's about, asking how many soldiers hurt or kill them self by firearms related mishaps. So this definitively counts.

Cosparia wrote:Mishaps happen more with open bolts because "dumb reason"

ford wrote:That's impossible and open bolt safeties are safe

purp wrote:No they're not you can accidentally hit them or whatever and it will make the gun go full auto or something

Kassaran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kassaran » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:45 pm

We had quite a few gun-related suicides back at BCT last year, and that was just Ft. Jackson, notoriously known as "relaxin' Jackson".

It's more common then you all think...
Beware: Walls of Text Generally appear Above this Sig.
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Tristan noticed footsteps behind him and looked there, only to see Eric approaching and then pointing his sword at the girl. He just blinked a few times at this before speaking.

"Put that down, Mr. Eric." He said. "She's obviously not a chicken."
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
The United Remnants of America wrote:You keep that cheap Chinese knock-off away from the real OG...

bloody hell, mate.
that's a real deal. We just don't buy the license rights.

Austrasien
Minister

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Austrasien » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:54 pm

Suicide is not an accident though. It is not really the same thing.
The leafposter formerly known as The Kievan People

The weak crumble, are slaughtered and are erased from history while the strong survive. The strong are respected and in the end, peace is made with the strong.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Fordorsia wrote:Why is someone carrying their gun around without the safety on? That's how negligent discharges happen, not from the bolt being pulled back halfway.

Because he was being a ford and thought it'd be safer to close the bolt on an empty chamber, as you suggest.

Sevvania
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 12, 2010

Postby Sevvania » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Fordorsia wrote:A notch in the receiver is more than adequate. The bolt handle isn't going anywhere with that spring pushing it forward into the notch unless you purposely remove it.

Yeah because triggers doesn't real.

This is supposedly a thing that happened with SKS rifles that had free-floating firing pins.
"Humble thyself and hold thy tongue."

Current Era: 1945
NationStates Stat Card - Sevvania
OFFICIAL FACTBOOK - Sevvania
4/1/13 - Never Forget

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:02 pm

As I said and will reiterate. It was enough of a problem in the MP40 to be recognized and explicitly addressed with a change in design mid full scale war.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:09 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:Why is someone carrying their gun around without the safety on? That's how negligent discharges happen, not from the bolt being pulled back halfway.

Because he was being a ford and thought it'd be safer to close the bolt on an empty chamber, as you suggest.

No, what I suggest is pulling the bolt back and putting it on safe if you don't plan on using it anytime soon, like you're supposed to. I'd like to see reports of soldiers having their open bolt gun go off because of pulling the bolt back half way then letting go. Why do you think soldiers were trained to pull the bolt back before putting a magazine in?

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:14 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Because he was being a ford and thought it'd be safer to close the bolt on an empty chamber, as you suggest.

No, what I suggest is pulling the bolt back and putting it on safe if you don't plan on using it anytime soon, like you're supposed to. I'd like to see reports of soldiers having their open bolt gun go off because of pulling the bolt back half way then letting go. Why do you think soldiers were trained to pull the bolt back before putting a magazine in?

God you are dense. It happens by accident because of the way the mechanism is designed. End of story.

The fact you are unable or unwilling to accept this does not make it not true.
Last edited by Purpelia on Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:18 pm

Being able to happen doesn't mean it happens. It's like saying lots of people eat bricks because it's possible to eat bricks.

Show me evidence of how many times soldiers did this.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information