NATION

PASSWORD

Infantry Discussion Thread part 11: Gallas Razor edition.

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:18 am

Doppio Giudici wrote:Just google "shear thickening fluid, body armor" and pick from any of the stuff that comes up.

No, because it's all from 15 years ago and worthless lol.

Doppio Giudici wrote:I'm, asking you to compare to kelvar or UHMWPE,

I don't have to compare anything.

These exact dumb memes have been regurgitated on NS for the past 11 years, because 15 or 20 years ago some guy named Dr. Eric Wetzel working for Natick invented a method of doping Kevlar with corn starch and speculated it might be useful for body armor. Turns out it was too stiff, too heavy, too hot, and not much better than the UHWMPE used in actual body armor. This doesn't matter to the international capitalists who profit from intangible ideas rather than actual goods so I guess it's sticking around in the memesphere despite having been refuted a mere 2-3 years after its invention because someone bought the patents but those are the same guys who sold the US Army shitty body armor that literally melted when it was put in a Humvee.

It's found a use for things like motorcycle wear and now Dr. Wetzel is thinking it should go into socks and knee pads to give GIs ankle support, which is its most useful quality. I think Underarmor makes some STF liners or something for helmets and some support clothes like ankle support socks, and motorcycle companies like Klim are starting to make socks and boots using STF fabrics for the same in motorbike crashes. Klim and Icon make D3O pads which go into jackets and other shit which is a STF foam and it's super shitty because it's hot, melts, and is stiff, but I'm sorta stuck with it. At least it was cheap! I suspect pure STF will disappear in all but the sleaziest technical wears since it's bad and will be replaced by STF doped Kevlar in areas that are prone to twisting action but don't require a lot of flexibility, like knees/elbows/ankles, and possibly palm pads on gloves, and then newer generations of Kevlar and PVC nitriles will move into the rigid armor scene to thin up the backpads.

Don't ride with memes kids Kevlar is still king of the streets.
Last edited by Gallia- on Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Doppio Giudici
Senator

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Doppio Giudici » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:22 am

Everything that came up for me is 2015 or later, half of it is 2018 or later, and three out of ten links are 2019.

I am not happy with you.

EDIT:

"Kevlar with corn starch and speculated it might be useful for body armor."

That's retarded, I'm not talking about that.

"The key component of liquid armor is a sheer thickening fluid or STF. This fluid is composed of hard particles suspended in a liquid. The liquid, polyethylene glycol, is non-toxic and it can withstand a wide range of temperatures. Hard nanoparticles of silica form the other component of STF. This combination of flowable and hard components results in a material with unusual properties.

STF is soaked into all layers of a Kevlar vest to make liquid armor."
Last edited by Doppio Giudici on Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I use this old account for FT, Pentaga Giudici and Vadia are for MT.

"Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening"

Construction is taking forever, but Prole Confederation will be paying millions of Trade Units for embassies and merchants that show up at the SBTH

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:29 am

Doppio Giudici wrote:Everything that came up for me is 2015 or later, half of it is 2018 or later, and three out of ten links are 2019.

That's because Google caches things periodically (approximately every 5-10 years), so naturally things from 2003 now are going to say they're "from" 2013. Lol.

https://www.tonyrogers.com/news/liquid_body_armor.htm
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... ing_fluids

STF body armors were made by the US Army and worn and they were basically too hot, too stiff, and tended to shed their STF through fabric sweating, which increased the degradation of ballistic fibers from sunlight exposure. This is all obvious now, which is why people lost interest in the idea for body armor. Now they're thinking about ankle support socks and knee pads, which are far more boring but also more practical.

Doppio Giudici wrote:I am not happy with you.

Then maybe you should read a book lol. You, on the other hand, are exactly as I expected you'd be: you don't read the links you allegedly cite and you don't care about facts of things rather "what's cool".

Here's the facts: Kevlar/Dyneema is basically the top tier of armor protection and nothing has changed in the past 20 years since the last generations of Kevlar were made in the 1990s. The ultimate "soft armor vest" is still defined as "20 layers of the latest Kevlar, sandwiched between some ripstop cotton or a 50/50 cotton-nylon, and made into a camouflage vest". And it will be that way for the foreseeable future.

You can get away with using PASGT in the 2050s no one will shame you except Marxists like Elon Musk or Ray Kurzweil but their opinions are worthless.
Last edited by Gallia- on Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Triplebaconation
Senator

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:35 am

I think they actually use kaolin silica nanoparticles.
Proverbs 23:9.

Things are a bit larger than you appear to think, my friend.

Doppio Giudici
Senator

Postby Doppio Giudici » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:36 am

Two videos form 2015, one from 2012.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/liqui ... armor1.htm
Doesn't say, likely last year.
https://www.zmescience.com/research/mat ... -06042015/
This is from last year
https://www.thebalancecareers.com/liqui ... or-3331922
This year
https://www.popsci.com/poland-develops- ... uid-armor/
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovati ... 180965272/

All of these are 2012 or earlier, again, most of them are from 2015 and a lot are from 2017,2018,2019.

You didn't read a single one of these, because nothing you mentioned had anything to do with these articles. Never in any of these articles is the word starch or corn even mentioned.

You are literally shutting down materials you know nothing about, based on something completely different, from 15 years ago.

Also, this is very recent, experiments run by the actual US Army, not some guy mixing corn starch with armor.

Construction is taking forever, but Prole Confederation will be paying millions of Trade Units for embassies and merchants that show up at the SBTH

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:41 am

Doppio Giudici wrote:Also, this is very recent, experiments run by the actual US Army, not some guy mixing corn starch with armor.

"Some guy mixing corn starch with armor" of course is "literally the guy who invented 'liquid armor' and works for the US Army doing all these experiments recently, previously, and in the future" lol.

The fact that you don't know that Dr. E.D. Wetzel is the god-king emperor of this stuff is fascinating, since you supposedly know so much about it and I am but a lonely boi who knows nothing. And I actually read the Smithsonian one, that's where I learned Dr. Wetzel is still studying STF doped fluids at Natick, and is thinking of applying it to torsion resisting socks and corsets for paratroopers brave enough to mount the dreaded Womack Pack or Javelin Missile Jump Pack and take it in the ankles or lumbar like a real man, since the body armor thing failed many, many years ago.

Triplebaconation wrote:I think they actually use kaolin silica nanoparticles.

Ye Dr. Wetzel's ethylene STF was silica particles t. his dank PDF from back when men still wore BDUs.

Apparently they'd dipped it in the doped ethylene glycol and let it evaporate in an oven or something.
Last edited by Gallia- on Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doppio Giudici
Senator

Postby Doppio Giudici » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:45 am

What was that nonsense about corn starch then?

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:47 am

Doppio Giudici wrote:You didn't read a single one of these

Haha this guy thinks I know how to read lmao.

Doppio Giudici wrote:What was that nonsense about corn starch then?

Flippancy, duh.

I'm a millennial. Flippant irony is literally our only contribution to American culture.

Doppio Giudici
Senator

Postby Doppio Giudici » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:49 am

What makes you think this stuff shuts down in the heat, when source after source insists this stuff loves the heat?

Where are you getting this data? Some long lost article from 2005 or something?

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:58 am

Doppio Giudici wrote:Some long lost article from 2005 or something?

Yes, which was the last serious research done on the aspects of ballistic protection using STF doped Kevlar lol.

Everything else since that has focused on this specific, niche application has been contributing basically nothing to human knowledge.

Dr. Wetzel has been trying to sell it for body armor use coming up on the past 20 years, and it hasn't stuck. Tony Johnson blogged about it in 2004, and on your post "this year" he's still blogging about it, with Dr. Wetzel, 15 years later. Shock. The only difference is it seems E.D. Wetzel has recognized that body armor is a lost cause and he's starting to push into more manageable things like STF doped ankle supports and stuff. i.e. things that are practical work. Body armor is a solved problem. If this were discovered in like 1950 I guess it would have been cool and a reasonably futuristic material, but it wasn't. It was discovered long after the twilight of the "soft armor vest" and well into the era of the "hard armor plate carrier".

If it were as cool as you think it is it would have shown up in Soldier Protection System. I have no doubt Dr. Wetzel was involved in that since he works at Natick and is a senior researcher there. Perhaps he's working on helmet straps for the SPS ECH and retention straps for the vest or something. Maybe an SPS corset so paratroopers who jump with the Javelin Missile Jump Pack and the Stinger Missile Jump Pack, or the M240 and a thousand rounds of .30 cal, aren't busting their lumbars like my dad did. That would be in line with his most recent work, i.e. helmet retention and joint supporting garments.

Instead, the US Army went with a new generation of Kevlar. Probably because DuPont invested millions in between their last investment of millions into the stuff and it probably works just as well against most things.

Actual future body armor is going to be finding stronger, lighter fibers like M5 fiber (itself a meme, but nowhere near as meme-y as Dr. Wetzel's work since it was invented by a collective aggregate of production engineers and not as a culmination of one man's life work) and stronger, lighter body armor plates.
Last edited by Gallia- on Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Doppio Giudici
Senator

Postby Doppio Giudici » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:05 am

Are you familiar with UHMWPE rifle plates?

Triplebaconation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:06 am

Manokan Republic wrote:
(Image)

Have you switched from wikipedia to funnyjunk.com?
Last edited by Triplebaconation on Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:07 am

Doppio Giudici wrote:Are you familiar with UHMWPE rifle plates?

They, like all soft armor "rifle plates", are worthless. Because if you thought ceramic plates were fat and unwieldy, you ain't seen nothing yet!

It only makes sense for PREPPERS and the like who are capital averse and also don't matter.

People who do matter (read: armies and police forces) will just buy boron carbide or aluminum oxide plates depending on the manufacturing capabilities of the local industrial base.

Body armor wants to be thin. It also wants to be light. Boron carbide hits a good spot between areal density and flexibility retention. Soft armor is bad at both, since it needs to be thicc as all hell and this reduces freedom of movement. STF doped armor is theoretically good but it retains too much heat and tend to retain water/sweat which makes them heavy in practical use. The ability to get around this has not yet been discovered and this is not for lack of trying, it was well known 10 years ago and one reason why Dr. Wetzel has moved on from trying to make STF doped armor is that all the good, breathable fabrics also have shitty ballistic quality.

It seems the efficacy of the STF doping process is related to the decrease in breathability, which is to be expected if we assume the micro-spheres are filling voids and stiffening the fabric, so you're going to be retaining heat and sweat regardless if you do it properly. In a world where soldiers are at a real risk of dropping dead from heat stroke in high ambient temperatures, militaries are pushing for portable refrigeration air coolers for ground troops, and hot weather is only going to get bigger and badder, making the "stuffy hot uniform" problem worse is stupid.

The absolute best we have found is combining hard ceramic plates with a thin backstop of soft armor. This will stop all threats, pistols included, and if you only want to stop pistols then you can use a thick-ish vest of 20-odd layers of the latest Kevlar and that will stop basically all pistol rounds. You can shave around the vest if you want to reduce weight and increase breathability, but that's about as good as it's going to get. In the future we might have better fibers like M5 that will make vests thinner and lighter without compromising breathability, which is what STF doping is supposed to do for Kevlar but it really just makes them stuffy and difficult to wear. But M5 is hard to produce. The production bottleneck is the only real issue with it, though, unlike STF which is more like an intractable issue of how the thing works.
Last edited by Gallia- on Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doppio Giudici
Senator

Postby Doppio Giudici » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:09 am

Gallia- wrote:
Doppio Giudici wrote:Are you familiar with UHMWPE rifle plates?

They, like all soft armor "rifle plates", are worthless. Because if you thought ceramic plates were fat and unwieldy, you ain't seen nothing yet!

It only makes sense for PREPPERS and the like who are capital averse and also don't matter.

People who do matter (read: armies and police forces) will just buy boron carbide or aluminum oxide plates depending on the manufacturing capabilities of the local industrial base.

3.3 pounds is unwieldy? I can't even find aluminum oxide plates anymore, its all UHMWPE, with better protection, almost same cost, and less weight.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:16 am

You aren't even a relevant buyer. You're probably getting the quality control production castoffs and test failed lots that have been squished together into a "UHMWPE rifle plate" to sell to American preppers who think they're going to be the next John Rambo or Mad Max when the gold apocalypse comes (you know, instead of being dead shot by a posse of motorcycle riding bandit cowboys or whatever).

e: Aluminum oxide ballistic plates are all over Alibaba.
Last edited by Gallia- on Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doppio Giudici
Senator

Postby Doppio Giudici » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:23 am

Gallia- wrote:You aren't even a relevant buyer. You're probably getting the quality control production castoffs and test failed lots that have been squished together into a "UHMWPE rifle plate" to sell to American preppers who think they're going to be the next John Rambo or Mad Max when the gold apocalypse comes (you know, instead of being dead shot by a posse of motorcycle riding bandit cowboys or whatever).

e: Aluminum oxide ballistic plates are all over Alibaba.

You mean the under 100 dollar plates that people have tested and they suck, or are you talking about something else?

The Chinese stuff that admits it's Chinese, is garbage.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:31 am

So are "UHMWPE rifle plates". Body armor is only good if two conditions exist that are true:

1) It can be mass produced quickly.
2) It is reliable enough to work most of the time when attacked.

Ceramic plates hit this easily. They're cheap to make, it's no longer the 1980s or whatever, and they are reliable enough for soldiers to not want to not wear them when their squad- or platoonmate is shot and the vest-plate combination stops the threat like 98-99% of the time.

"UHMWPE rifle plates" are the opposite of good body armor. They are expensive to make, and their efficacy is in serious doubt, because we know that 20 layers of Kevlar won't stop anything bigger than a small caliber pistol round, it's unlikely that 40 layers will do the same, but it's a great way to liberate money from clueless folks who are never going to get shot at enough to find out that it doesn't work. Which is the actual reason it exists and is $700 a set instead of $300 like good, reliable, ceramic.

Ceramic is ceramic is ceramic and Chinese ceramic is quality enough to work, but you're liable to get production castoffs and failed lots from Alibaba that is true. Then again, what do you think "soft rifle plate" is made from? The highest quality artificial silks spun from the strongest Dutch spindels of the land? No, it's made from surplus trash slapped together to avoid having to recycle and dispose of good product. And it probably makes whoever makes it money hand over fist selling to know nothings who are afraid of something reliable like boron carbide and would rather trust their chest with 40-50 layers of Kevlar instead of 20 layers and an inch thick plate of ceramic. Because it's lighter.

Once again the good stuff goes to people who matter, i.e. soldiers and police officers. The stuff that "private citizens" can buy is generally 1980s-type metals or 20 year old standard, SAPI pattern boron carbide plates at best.
Last edited by Gallia- on Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Doppio Giudici
Senator

Postby Doppio Giudici » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:41 am

UHMWPE is very different from kevlar and I don't see how 320 a plate is expensive. One is a heat conductor, the other one repels heat. They behave differently when slashed...So on and so forth....

Boron Carbide is like twice or almost three times that. There are plenty of places offering Boron Carbide ESAPIs, they are heavy as fuck, and they are not cheap.

I never remember Aluminum Oxide being cheaper then 200 dollars a plate, and since no one in the US is selling anymore, I'm starting to think it's because it's been replaced by something better.

Triplebaconation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:46 am

Anyway, if anyone's interested, most internet sources on the Toyota War are quite bad. The Milan was crucial to Chadian success, but they didn't win because they zipped around on pickup trucks with them.

A Chadian attack on a Libyan armored formation would almost invariably begin with Milans fired from camouflaged hilltop positions after the Libyans stopped for the night. Toyotas would then charge the opposite side and drop off fighters with RPGs and LAWs. These tactics were only possible because the Libyans almost never scouted.

However, most Libyan armor losses were vehicles destroyed after isolated garrisons fell to surprise attacks by FANT. Equipment that FANT couldn't carry with them or transfer to American and French forces for intelligence analysis was destroyed in situ.

Chadian accuracy with Milan was very poor, with dozens of missiles fired for every hit. Chadian Redeye and Stinger teams were also pretty bad.

Chad had astounding success because:
1) The Libyan army was extremely poorly led, and Qaddafi's split with his Chadian GUNT allies deprived it of experienced scouts and light infantry with local knowledge. Libyans were too poorly disciplined to bother with scouting or proper security, either on the march or in garrison.
2) For most of the war the French air force kept Libya's out of the air.
3) Habre and his commanders had a very good understanding of desert warfare and their own weaknesses.
4) The Chadians were able to rely on France for intelligence, aerial reconnaissance, and the logistical support to keep hundreds of trucks and armored vehicles (the Chadians had a fairly strong force of Panhards and V-150s) running, which was beyond them at the time. In some cases DGSE personnel would help plan and participate in attacks as well.

These factors were far more decisive than the equipment used by either side. Milan at best allowed FANT to counter Libyan armor, that they crushed it was due to tactical and strategic skill and outside factors. Against a more competent enemy with the same equipment the best the Chadians could hope for would be a draw like Operation Savannah.
Last edited by Triplebaconation on Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Theodosiya
Minister

Founded: Oct 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Theodosiya » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:22 am

Can you train a fucking cat?
The strong rules over the weak
And the weak are ruled by the strong
It is the natural order

Mostrov
Minister

Founded: Aug 06, 2009

Postby Mostrov » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:49 am

What are good sources on it?

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:00 am

Doesn't kevlar with STF commit the sin of being heavier than an equivalent protection level of just strait kevlar? That's what I remember from the last time I looked at the stuff a couple of years ago.

I don't see why you would want to use equipment that is heavier if it doesn't offer better capabilities.

Triplebaconation wrote:-snip-

Proving yet again that proper tactics is far more important than equipment. This really shouldn't surprise anyone, yet people constantly seem to think if a nation can afford good weapons they must know how to use them properly, which isn't true.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Triplebaconation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:18 am

Mostrov wrote:What are good sources on it?

There's really not much in English at all. Armies of Sand probably has the best details of the background and tactics, and the Osprey technical book has a little on the vehicles. French sources are generally better for the esoteric details, but they usually concentrate on the air war and politics.

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Triplebaconation wrote:-snip-

Proving yet again that proper tactics is far more important than equipment. This really shouldn't surprise anyone, yet people constantly seem to think if a nation can afford good weapons they must know how to use them properly, which isn't true.

The Chadians could barely use their weapons properly either. What they did have was an understanding of the value of reconnaissance (the Milan being almost as useful in this role as it was as a missile launcher, plus satellite and aerial imagery didn't hurt) and a culture with generations of experience in desert raiding that allowed them to use far more initiative in...desert raiding.

FANT shouldn't be glamorized though. They were killing thousands of Chadian civilians at the same time and also used the Toyota as a particularly brutal torture device.

Austrasien
Minister

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Austrasien » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:12 am

Manokan Republic wrote:The idea is something akin to an automatic mortar, firing something of equivalent power to a mortar round. The argument of semantics is beyond dumb, as mortar is essentially a gigantic grenade luancher and vice versa, grenade launchers tend to share many attributes with mortars, they are just smaller. Your only argument is that due to an arbitrary requirements you made up, that it can't be considered a mortar launcher, even if it fires a mortar round. Which is basically what a mortar launcher is. The idea is to fire mortar rounds out of an automatic weapon, regardless of what that system is. The idea this must be a grenade launcher due to some made-up semantic reason is silly at best. It's annoying and pedantic and does nothing to actually further the conversation of how to effectively use or design such a weapon. If you want to give yourself rotor-cuff surgery becuase you're patting yourself on the back so hard for coming up with a made-up definition of what a mortar launcher is, then that's fine, but it really just bogs down any meaningful conversation.

But you already know the answer. You just keep pretending you don't know what it is called.

The leafposter formerly known as The Kievan People

The weak crumble, are slaughtered and are erased from history while the strong survive. The strong are respected and in the end, peace is made with the strong.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information