NATION

PASSWORD

Ajax Regional Application and Recruitment Thread [MT; Open]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Allamunnic States
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Allamunnic States » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:31 pm

General information I am doing this so that this is here for reference and record. Obviously, I'm already here and on the map, but I guess y'all can reject my application, if you want.
a) Time on Nationstates: 1 decade
b) Previous regions:
  • Tyrrhennia
  • Cornellian Empire
  • Tyran (Current, with alt)
  • Ajax (I'm already here)
c) Other nations:
  • Arkoenn
  • Allamunnika (Tyran)

IC National information
a) Nation's IC name: Federation of Allamunnic States
b) Nation's IC population: approx. 85 million
c) Nation's IC GDP per capita: approx. USD$18,000
d) Nation's type of government: Federal Semi-Democratic Presidential Republic
e) Nation's head of state: Director-General Stevan Grimmeburger
f) Nation's head of gov’t (if applicable): See Head of State

IC National information
a) Brief description of your nation: A larger, Germanic/English hybrid nation. Pretty egalitarian and progressive, although it's obviously got its share of issues. Has something of a siege mentality due to a large, militarized next-door neighbor.

b) What languages are spoken in your nation?: Allamunnic (which is basically English, for all intents and purposes)

c) What ethnic groups are present in your nation?: Allamunnae (which tend to be Anglo-Germanic, although a more Celtic-influenced sub-group exists).

d) What are the major religions among your population?: Honorian Christianity (bears a similar relationship to Catholicism as Episcopelianism does), Jormundean Christianity (which is a weird, non-monotheistic Christianity), and indigenous paganism (inspired by Norse polytheism) exists.

e) What role do you see your nation fulfilling within the region?: I seem to occupy a RoK/DPRK-type dynamic with Rietumimark, at present, but also a member of NATA.

f) Briefly describe your nation’s military (including size, role, branches, etc.): The Allamunnic Federal Defense Service is on the larger side, integrating the Federal Army (the dominant branch in size, budget, and political influence), the Federal Navy, Federal Air Corps, and Federal Guard Service (which is a hybrid national guard/army reserve/gendarmerie), with a budget that takes up about 4-5% of the country's GDP, and, manpowerwise, can push up a little past 1% of the nation's population during emergencies (but is probably about half that size in peacetime).

g) Critically discuss the strengths of your nation (esp. military & economic) and how they may affect existing regional power structures:
The Federation is probably at least moderately within the ranks of significant military powers (although it can't project abroad worth a damn), and it's a reasonably active industrial nation with a fairly high population. It has a tradition of large-scale steel-making, and its government is reasonably efficient, if not the most democratic out there. It should fit nicely within the NATA bloc.

h)If asked to reduce the strength of your nation, how would you do so?
I'd fight you.
But actually, probably knock either the population or GDP down a little bit more. I'm pretty flexible on stuff.

IC Geographical/resource
General lists, we don't expect you to know all the details before joining and getting a map place.
a) What does your nation excel in exporting:
Steel, other construction materials (concrete, cement, mortar, nails, wood, cinderblock), probably does alright on food (probably plenty of potatoes, chicken, apples, maybe beef, definitely milk), and beer.

b) What does your nation need to import?:
Luxuries, warm-weather crops, rare earth elements, probably other assorted minerals, high-technology products. Probably stuff I'm forgetting.

c) What is your country self sufficient on?:
Most of the stuff we export. The country can *probably* feed itself, if necessary, for at least some period of time. Probably okay on electricity (provided nuclear power is kosher).

d) What is your preferred location on the regional map?
Already got a spot.

Regional history
a) Were you recommended to Ajax?:
Already here.

6: Roleplay history
No.
Part of the Ajax Role-Playing Community.
Stay apprised of developments in Ottonia
Political Compass
Six-Time World Bowl Champions (XVI, XVII, XIX, XXIII, XXV, XXVII)
WLC VII & X Champs (WLC VI, XI & XIII Runners-Up)

Lacus Magni
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 02, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Lacus Magni » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:18 pm

Nazimba: Denied

Ord Caprica: Accepted, but please update your app to include the stats that were discussed on Discord
Admin and Member of Ajax (Discord)
Active Projects
Latium (Map) | Sydalon (Map) | Gelonia (Map) | Vardana (Map)

Vrijlaand
Civilian

Founded: Jan 31, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Vrijlaand » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:09 pm

General information
a) Time on Nationstates: I don't remember, perhaps two years.
b) Previous regions: Realism & RP, Sovereign Charter,
  • Realism & RP
    Sovereign Charter
    Ixnay (with an alternative account, never did anything really, whoops)
    Alternative Earth or something, don't remember the exact name.
    Ordis
c) Other nations:
  • Flauc
    Japhad (to be replaced by this concept)
    Some other alts which I do not use and have died since then.

IC National information
a) Nation's IC name: Republic of Vrijhaven
b) Nation's IC population: 20 million
c) Nation's IC GDP per capita: 30K per capita
d) Nation's type of government: presidential republic
e) Nation's head of state: TBD
f) Nation's head of gov’t (if applicable): TBD

IC National information
a) Brief description of your nation: The Republic of Vrijhaven is a democratic state located in Southern Scipia across the straits with Pallamara, it became self dependent in the 18th century after Pallamara brought off VOC, the United East-Seas Company. Before it's colonization by VOC, modern Vrijhaven was invaded and settled by Tarsas, spreading it's religion and people in the area, over time, increasing to almost 20% of the population after waves of immigration from Tarsas in a bid to "Tarsanize" the land and it's natives. This came to an end as VOC colonizers arrived. Following the VOC-Tars War, VOC victory established a colony in modern Vrijhaven. While the black population remained oppressed under the VOC with the Ramuga remaining somewhat favorable with the VOC, the VOC kept the ethnic Tars in charge of the colony and it's administering as long as they were obedient to the VOC, with the rights of Tars remaining on par with settlers from Pallamara.

Not having the ability to administer and control the VOC's land possessions following the selling of VOC to Pallamara, VOC's colonies in southern Scipia were given independence after rounds of negotiations as the Republic of Vrijhaven, with "Vrij" meaning "Free" and "haven" meaning "haven", with the country name being "Freehaven".
Despite the name, ironically, the local ethnic Tars population enslaved the black population, aside from giving the black Ramuga privilege over the other natives, letting them work as some sort of middlemen between the natives and Tars, with the Tars allying themselves with the Ramuga warriors during the colonization itself. This resulted in the Ramuga being in a superior position to other natives and not being as oppressed, although still had no voting rights.

The new state, created after the sell off of VOC, remained largely unrecognized (to be figured out why) and remains partially recognized today. Before colonization, modern day Vrijhaven was inhabited by black natives which fought for land and had disputes, but following Tars colonization, saw the population enslaved. Prehistorical Vrijhaven is settlers arriving, establishing city states, becoming larger, fighting, collapsing, and such until invasion.

This continued until the mid 1960s, where the Inabtu Scipian Liberation Army, with backing from Rietumimark, began an organized uprising in the western provinces of Vrijhaven, seeking to overthrow the white-minority government in Vrijestad. This civil war will be roleplayed, but the current idea is that the ISLA loose in the end, the Ramuga Scipian Army (an ally of the government) commits a genocide against other natives in the early stages of the civil war, and the civil war ends with democratic elections with voting rights for every citizen, resulting in elections, where by surprise, a white government is elected again, which could result in another period of insurgency, but at a much smaller scale than the conventional war between the ISLA and government during the civil war. The civil war ends around in the late 1970s.

Vrijhaven politics have been dominated by whites until the late 1970s with the civil war ending, with all citizens gaining rights to vote. The country remains dominated by the white population, which has grown in size as thousands of natives died during the civil war while Pallamarans immigrated and settled following the end of the civil war, especially soldiers hired by the government to fight for Vrijehaven, who decided to stay. Since the country is ethnic Pallamaran, it's culture mainly resembles that of Pallamara, except having some divergence, which I am yet to specify.

b) What languages are spoken in your nation?: Pallamaran, Inabtu, Ramuga alongside other minor or local languages.
c) What ethnic groups are present in your nation?:
ethnic Tars (40%)
Inabtu (30%)
Ramuga (20%)
ethnic Pallamarans (5%)
numerous immigrant nationalities (5%)
d) What are the major religions among your population?:
Most of the ethnic Pallamaran white population follows 'mixed Protestantism' while parts of the Ramuga also practice this. Other ethnic groups and immigrants practice their own religions, although, with modernization and the civil war, the native black religions have become less prevalent.
e) What role do you see your nation fulfilling within the region?: Vrijhaven would be a state seeking wider recognition from the world due to it's partial recognition. Vrijhaven wouldn't be a world power, but it could be a regional one. Enjoying co operation with Pallamara, the country would be well off, exporting it's produce to multiple countries, perhaps becoming a prevalent exporter and economical power, although not 'too' strong, which is subjective.
f) Briefly describe your nation’s military (including size, role, branches, etc.): The VSDF, the Vrijhaven Security and Defense Force (name could be changed) is responsible for the defense of the country. Considering the civil war in the 60s, the VSDF is a modernized and experienced force. While not a member of an international military force, Vrijhaven maintains strong relations with Pallamara, which have been historical allies since the mid 20th century. The Army and Air Force are the most funded structures in the Armed Forces, with the Navy being a brown-water navy, focusing on defensive measures and is not equipped as well and tends to purchase older Pallamaran vessels, and is not of much use outside of defense due to a mutual assistance treaty between Pallamara and Vrijhaven.
g) Critically discuss the strengths of your nation (esp. military & economic) and how they may affect existing regional power structures: Vrijhaven isn't supposed to be a world power, perhaps a regional power alongside Pallamara which will be an important ally to Vrijhaven, having backed the government during the civil war which will occur in the 60s. The military of Vrijhaven would be a modern, small force, experienced in anti guerrilla and conventional warfare, considering it's civil war in the 60s and the continued low intensity insurgency throughout the countryside.

Well, I'd lower my GDP per capita and I would reduce my landmass, plus I probably wouldn't export natural gas if so, I'm not sure if it's a very big bonus, but it could be so.

IC Geographical/resource
General lists, we don't expect you to know all the details before joining and getting a map place.
a) What does your nation excel in exporting: Small arms, agricultural products, natural gas.
b) What does your nation need to import?: Oil, probably an assortment of other things, but oil probably being the biggest one.
c) What is your country self sufficient on?: Small arms equipment, natural gas, foodstuffs.
d) What is your preferred location on the regional map? Across the coast from Pallamara, a rather sizeable country, perhaps stretching to the lakes located in southern Scipia, I will try to iron out the specific details with Latin later.

Regional history
No, I'm already in it as Japhad.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=426565
scroll down.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=386283
Last edited by Vrijlaand on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:45 am, edited 4 times in total.

Lacus Magni
Diplomat

Postby Lacus Magni » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:38 pm

Vrijlaand: Accepted
Active Projects

Tulura
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Tulura » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:04 pm

Note:- Former nation was Anidya on page three and i was on discord for like a week before going silent cause rl reasons. Apology for any weird inconvenience, have another app. Same nation with some alterations basically.

General information
a) Time on Nationstates: 3-4 years i think
b) Previous regions:
  • Audax/Audaxia
  • Greater Olympus
  • (The)Independent Order
  • North Pacific(a bit of open II RP)
c) Other nations: Puppets mostly
  • Afelirun
  • Gadshack
  • Toshikawa
  • Aruara

IC National information
a) Nation's IC name: The Divine State of Tulura
b) Nation's IC population: 30 mil
c) Nation's IC GDP per capita: 24k
d) Nation's type of government: A Confederation with a titular monarch
e) Nation's head of state: The Gajul, "King", Uhang Ga-Ama
f) Nation's head of gov’t (if applicable): The Olari, "High Speaker", Okul Nderei

IC National information
a) Brief description of your nation:
Tulura is a relatively new nation formed during industrial modernization efforts in the mid 19th century, primarily in response to rising foreign influence and attempted colonization/subjugation. The country was ultimately united by the Conquest of the Gajul, who stretched a Confederation across the country while using particular foreign backing to modernize the country; this war of unification was to some degree, a proxy war by industrial powers. Reform over time reduced the Gajul's power to a titular role, democratic reforms also did the same to local feudal and tribal lords, sparking a brief civil war over such powers.

Today the Gajul holds cultural importance and has titular power, a symbol of unity mostly, though maintaining a degree of emergency, war and judicial power. Each Ipinle, the polities of the confederation, maintain their own nobility as well in a titular role, though less important and known than the national King(Gajul), they also don't maintain official status with state governments as 'heads of state', however do manage their own significant private wealth and land.

b) What languages are spoken in your nation?: Low Orymeji is comprised of many mutually understandable dialects, very localized minority languages also exist, depending on the region you're in they're used interchangeably with Low Orymeji. High Orymeji is a liturgical language known across the nation only for a few phrases and ceremonial chants/singing, commonly spoken fluently among the Priesthood however.
c) What ethnic groups are present in your nation?: Ethnic divisions run along regional language lines in Tulura, though all of these groups are generalized under the Tuluran Bantu(subject to IC change) umbrella and identify as such.
d) What are the major religions among your population?: Many synchetized versions of outside religions exist together in the country, that merged with local animist, shamanistic and pantheist beliefs. Most Tulurans believe in the pantheon and practice local rituals. The dominant state belief system, which the monarchy and governmental institutions chariot, is Kanitheism.
e) What role do you see your nation fulfilling within the region?: Being a strong regional power (or attempting to) and being influential diplomatically in other parts of the world through soft power. Not afraid to compete and with a history of feeling imposed on, the nation can be rather competitive or defensive.
f) Briefly describe your nation’s military (including size, role, branches, etc.): Because of past budget constraints and a focus on internal development(dealing with challenging infrastructure and environment), the military has become rather efficient in allocation and priority. However, because of this the military isn't as big as it can be and readiness is lackluster. Technologically the military, though well-trained, is behind. A defensive navy and army are the chief focus, backed by relevant air power. Though possible the mass mobilize as any other country, offensive combat lies within the joint fourth branch of the military known as the "Agagun", a small quick reaction/expeditionary force. Other branches include the army, navy and strategic intelligence.
g) Critically discuss the strengths of your nation (esp. military & economic) and how they may affect existing regional power structures: Tulura has developed a strong economy(with the setback of being very volatile and high inequality) based on liberal free market values and boast a diverse selection of many resources such as gold, copper, natural gas, salt and bauxite. It's economic sustainability lies within maintaining former power structures which has allowed mercantile longevity; a broad balance of democratic reform. Tulura is home to a few finished luxury products it enjoys exporting, such as coffee and other foods. As i’m unsure of existing power structure i’m not really sure how i can go about critically constructing much other strengths until i get a feel for things.
h)If asked to reduce the strength of your nation, how would you do so? any way asked as long as it’s not drastically nation altering idea-wise. I left plenty vague so i can adapt however needed :)

IC Geographical/resource
a) What does your nation excel in exporting: metals, natural gas, appliances, machine parts, luxury goods
b) What does your nation need to import?: food, consumer goods, electronics, computers/computer parts, machine parts
c) What is your country self sufficient on?: if anything natural gas, Tulura also likes to get the licenses to produce arms domestically
d) What is your preferred location on the regional map? https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... /claim.png

Regional history
a) Were you recommended to Ajax?: by someone can’t remember in the NS Mentor discord last year.

The Independent Order and ]Audax mostly

Samples

Today was the day, the Coronation of Mopul’s Obasa, a sacred spiritual and monarchical figure that the people loved dearly. This time was sacred, the new Obasa was a young woman, full of energy and beloved around the nation. Times were changing however, the young becoming Queen was outspoken and liberal, much to the dismay of the Tuldayi throne, and the aging conservative government was growing more divided by the day, from social issues to Pontua.

Posted Image

The sacred Oasis of Chima was the pivotal setting to begin the rites of ascension, for those who were chosen to succeed the Taldayi Throne. When the future young Queen Satha arrived from her cross-country pilgrimage, a tradition beset by her predecessors, she told to walk into the frigged oasis waters up to her knees, to the small island in the midst of the shallow lake.

A gentle waterfall, cascading down the crevices of the rocky formation which overlooked the venue, fed the small lake which the future queen slowly stepped in. The pure, illuminated water frigidly kissing her feet, symbolized a great deal of importance to the Taldayi Throne. The Oasis of Chima was well known as a great spiritual site of heritage for all the Mopulese people. Satha remembered the legends she was told of this location, a thousand times over, however only now did she fully realize it’s secluded beauty, seemingly overwhelming her as she approached the rocky island.

A Priestess followed closely behind, holding her hand to the Queen’s back, guiding her along the jagged underwater surface of the lake.

When they finally reached the islet, Satha was told to kneel at the massive stone which stood at its center, engraved with various hieroglyphs one could barely make out. She bent her head down and prayed, feeling an electric energy from the onlooking crowd which sung in a low vibrato of hymns. The Priestess lifted Satha’s head, placing her palm over the Queen’s face, holding it there she recited a priestly prayer; a droning out-of-tune repetition of beautifully construed words. Suddenly, as the Priestess lifted her hand, a small sharp blade dug deep into her face. Satha quivered in the pain, but showed no resentment for it. There she was on her knees before a Priestess, who etched in the Queen's face elaborate designs. In the finishing touches, the Priestess wiped away the blood drowning the Queen’s face, and drizzled an herbal healing oil that smelled of flowers over the scars.

Only the Obasa has these unique facial scars, given to them to signify their status above society. Most noble families of Mopul have scaring across their bodies, given through different stages of life, but none on their faces. Satha was now the marked one, though her body was consumed with scars, now was her face. The elaborate structure of the healing, bleeding scars was impressive, depicting Orymeji Script within dotted lines and slashes. The symbol for the stars she was born under was carved on her left cheek, and on the right, the emblem of Emeji, Mopul’s duel spirit deity.

The Priestess, chanting with the crowd under her breath, brought over a golden cup dipped into the waters of the lake. “Drink” she insisted, holding the cup to Satha’s mouth. “Finally, it is done, I bestow the Mansara name upon you.” the Queen rose, now headed back to shore, a great smile wide around her face, reminded of the journey her father took.

From the Oasis, the rest of the Queen-Obasa’s journey would be on foot, surrounded now by an elaborately dressed troupe royal guard. In front, and from the flanks, Koran Palace vehicles would surround her at walking pace. The cameras would begin to snap on, set up at various points along the route. Millions of TV’s across the country were tuned in, families gathered on holiday watching Satha’s journey from Queen to Obasa. The Streets of the capital, Emdara, were lined with rambunctious thousands, pounding drums, a few singing, chanting and reaching out for the future Obasa of Mopul. Satha’s face was still drizzling with blood as she walked down the street, nearly covering her entire face in rivers of blood.

Satha attempted to maintain her strict posture, as she remembered seeing old film of her father’s final walk down these vary streets. However an inkling of rebellious fire slipped through, she no longer could remain stoic, she was one of the youngest Queen’s in centuries and she would revitalize what she saw as a drab, traditional institution. Her face was still in pain, but she couldn't help but feel energized and happy in the moment. Her guard and security nearly panicked, but devoutly followed the heir as she swept off from side to side of the street; touching the people, shaking their hands, many simply wanted to touch her. She presented a vibrant smile, continuing along the predefined route. Flowers were thrown along her path, as she reached the hill leading up to Sundala Temple, the largest of its kind in the country.

The grand adobe Temple overlooked the entire city, stretching upward with two great towers that dominated the skyline. The main atrium of the Temple was dome-shaped and smooth, Around the temple was vast gardens and public parks, full of statues and ponds. Each building in the city, the closer one got to the Temple, was as venerable as the last. Murals dotted the park everywhere.

A special box area was reserved for worldly delegations, other seperate areas were reserved for Queen Therese, the Thane of Skaw, High Lord Vladik and Serene Oçedrí, all who got personally greeted by Satha as she passed. “It is my greatest honor.” she said, somewhat shaking the Ilionic delegation’s hands with mild contempt as she passed the non-royal VIP area in the garden. She found the absolute monarchs interesting, though did not linger around them too often for appearances, rather bowing at them in respect. “I look forward to seeing you all at the banquet.” she finalized, before continuing on her way. Dried blood still apparent on her face but she was still composed.

When Satha finally approached the Temple, she could hear the monks singing inside, as clear as the excited crowds. Priest and Priestesses welcomed her in, a shaman soon accompanied them. As she entered the Temple, the smell of incense intensified, and the crowds outside quieted down, awaiting their Obasa to return. The ongoings, the sacred ceremony within the temple, were kept mostly secret. For a what seemed like a millenia, no one was allowed in, and no one had even an inkling of what was happening in it. It would be three hours until she would rise again.

Satha was at down on a rug, and given an herbal drink of something that tasted awful. All she knew was that the shaman had sprinkled ashes in it, representing her predecessors. “Do you see them?” the Head Seer stepped in, Anu Adesi; the Head Seer being the leader a theocratic Council of Arbiters. A strong religious figure, subservient to the Obasa. “Your ancestors.” Anu inquired further, “Do you see them?” Satha had gone into a daze, answering partially. The next few hours were ritual superstitious repetition, as Satha’s body, but her face, was washed in water, soaps and oils. When she became entirely aware she was still in somewhat in a daze, the hallucinogenic herbs has transported her to what seemed another place. The ritual dances, with the constituent Kings and Chiefs watching, brought the illusions of spirits to her eyes.

Finally, as she rose in traditional attire, Head Seer Adesi kissed her atop the forehead, and afixed three golden rings around her neck. The rings were elaborately engraved with Ikeshi script. Priestess were at his side, dressing her in bracelets, and sandals. Adesi then dipped a single finder in a bowl of white paint, brushing his finger down Satha’s nose, and decorating lines all over her face. “Don’t worry, this is also healing property.” He then back away, kneeling at her feet, then kissing them. “Obasa Mansara.” he quietly uttered. The rest of the Kings and Chief present the room, watching the ceremony unfold, stood up and kneeled as well, Re-iterating the Head Seer’s words. “Obasa Mansara.” It was done, Mopul has a new Obasa.

As the everyone shuffled out of the ceremonial room, the Head Seer, a soft spoken man, graciously smiled at the Queen, saying, “You may have limited power, you may wish you had that power someday. But you are the essence, the pure essence and moral of the nation. You represent all of our institutions and wealth. You represent something more the squabble of politics and the people. There is much more than happens than you are aware of, you will learn, you will progress. You are the bastion which this country calls upon in crisis, and i fear that will be soon. You are the judge, higher than me and all the other Arbiters, your successors and Emeji lives through you, young one. Be prepared.” With that said, the old man began to walk out the corridors of the Temple, raising his arms and waving as the crowd cheered in his presence.

Slowly, Satha made her way out Sundala Temple, slowly arising from it’s smokey confines. The crowd had burst in a sudden roar, piercing the Queen’s ears, making her skin quiver in adrenaline. She did not smile, for a brief moment she felt changed, feeling to have had a spiritual experience. Now she was stoic, and stood tall with her chin high, trying to maintain a superior presence. She didn’t look back when she entered the Temple, but now, she realized the pure awe of the thousands who cheered before her. The streets danced with music as a motorcade awaited her at the bottom of the Temple steps. As each constituent lord passed down the steps, they kneeled on both knees and kissed her fit, bowing before heading down. Foreign delegations were looked at to kneel as well.

The Head Seer held hands with Satha, as they stepped down together. Following the way of the Kings and Chiefs.

The crowd suddenly held steady; as the Obasa approached their way down the Temple steps, each person bowed with one knee, some people kissed the ground, in love of the Obasa’s cult.

The royal motorcade drove off, now with the crowd cheering “Obasa! Obasa! Obasa!” Satha waved from it’s open top until they left the crowded streets, sitting back down with a tired sigh. “Take me home.” she said, preparing herself for the banquet tonight. The burning of the fresh scars had subsided and she’s have until tonight, when they would further heal.

As they arrived at the venue of Koran Palace, Satha felt a calming relief, until the banquet was soon to start. The palace was located on the countryside outskirts of Emdara. Some royal delegations had the honor of staying on the palace’s ground, as Koran maintained a vast array of small manor’s to accommodate many. Other, minor delegations would be escorted from their stay within the city, from the airport, embassies or hotels.

The Head of Government, Chief Minister Shukara Mugwa, was one of the first to arrive prematurely. She was to greet the incoming delegates and local lords, internal and external diplomacy at work.

(offsite forum) This and this
Last edited by Tulura on Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Achesia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:20 pm

Tag, Ghant recommended I should check this region out. Just wanted to pop in and say hi. I want to read up more on ya'lls region before I apply. Thanks!

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:24 am

Ok powers at be, I talked to a few of the region members and I have to say I am liking allot of what I am hearing! So I wanted to run my nation concept by you first before I app because I wanna make sure I get the app right and what my concept is fits with what the region is.

So here is the synopsis:

Rhynovia had been a Monarchy since medieval times and through to the turn of the 20th Century. Around the 50s/60s a communist revolution happened which ousted the Monarchy and aristocracy who fled to im sure some other monarchy in the region to live in exile. The royal family hid from the communist secret police out of the country until around the early 2000s they were found and butchered in an extrajudical killing.

Not long after this however the communist regime fell because of economic reasons and democracy was given a chance to try and run the show. However (and I havnt worked the details of this part yet) things become a shit show with people either wanting next to no govt or wanting a sort of a social democracy, even though the econony of the nation is still recovering from the communist collapse. Therefore since Rhynovia is steeped in cultural tradition and religious to a large extent, the older generation coupled with more conservative members of the younger generstion vote to invite the Monarchy back to run the show in a Semi-Constitutional but leaning towards absolute Monarchy with provisions to look after the rights of the people. This creating a more stable leadership to run the show of the country so the people dont have to feel like the tyranny of the majority is trumping their rights.

Only problem is... the monarchy was butchered by the secret police.

However... rumors and legend still presist that young Princess ___ escaped the murder of her family and is lost in the big wide world. So a Lord Governor from the aristocracy is appointed to head up the nation as a steward until the princess can be hopefulky found.

In talking with other region members it sounded like this fit well in eastern Belisaria and have a slavic/russian cultural background. Which works since my backstory is a sort of Not!Grand Duchess Anastasia deal.

So like I said, rough synopsis I wanted to propose to you all. I will flesh out and pretty up more in an app with the other details but I wanted to make sure this made sense and worked firstly :) thanks!

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:45 pm

General information
a) Time on Nationstates: 14 Years
b) Previous regions:
  • Stille Nacht (Founder)
  • Septentrion (Co-Founder)
  • Earth 2
  • The Local Cluster
c) Other nations:
  • N/A

IC National information

a) Nation's IC name: The Grand Principality of Rhynovia (adj. Rhynovia)
b) Nation's IC population: 42,341,014
c) Nation's IC GDP per capita: $34,024
d) Nation's type of government: Semi-Constitutional Monarchy
e) Nation's head of state: Grand Duke Emil Medved, Lord Governor of Rhynovia in the absence of the heir to the Aristov Dynasty
f) Nation's head of gov’t (if applicable): Grand Duke Emil Medved, Lord Governor of Rhynovia in the absence of the heir to the Aristov Dynasty

IC National information

The Grand Principality of Rhynovia first appeared around the 11th Century as a small portion of *insert large slavic monarchy here* in south eastern Belisaria. The nation itself prospered as a half way point for merchant goods coming from Ocran and flowing through the Periclean sea to the rest of Belisaria. For hundreds of years this merchant principality existed until the turn of the 18th century as it was ravaged by internal strife of *large Slavic monarchy here* thus triggering the exit of Rhynovia and its ascension to sovereignty. By the 20th century Rhynovia was suffering from extreme poverty in its lower class caused by several conflicts and the lack of trade coming from Ocran. This became a breeding ground for communist activists to start a ground swell of popular worker support to overthrow the Rhynovian monarchy, the Aristov family. While the Aristovs were known for their compassion and care for their subjects, the powers behind the Red Revolution of 1954 did not discriminate between good and bad aristocracy, forcing the royal family of Prince Anatoly Aristov the III to flee their country and live in exile in *Insert friendly monarchy here*.

For several decades Rhynovia existed as the Workers Republic of Rhynovia, enjoying no improvement of economic conditions. Near the 1990s Rhynovian regulation on their economy began to lessen to allow for a freer market to interface with those in western Belisaria. Yet just as was exhibited in the early parts of the 20th century, discontent with conditions in the Worker's Republic began to grow.

It was around this time that the Rhynovian Worker's Party Secret Police in their decades long search for the Aristov Dynasty found the now aging Prince Anatoly Aristov the III as well as his family which now included a son Prince Grigori the IV and three grandchildren Prince Arkady the I, and princess Nikita and Karina. As reported later by a servant to the Royal family who escaped, the Secret Police bound each of the Aristov family members to chairs in their *insert big western city name here* hotel room and executed them before setting their hotel room ablaze. The Worker' Party in their statement claimed the fire was an accident, but the statement of the aforementioned servant and an investigation by the authorities of *country whose city they were in* proved that they were in fact murdered, a huge scandal amongst many Rhynovia circles. Rumor persisted though that the youngest Aristov granddaughter somehow survived the extrajudicial killing, and is still in hiding somewhere in the world.

The news of the brutal murder of the former monarchs was just a small straw in the many that fell on the back of the Worker's Republic of Rhynovia. Soon the communist government would concede that the country would be in utter economic collapse under their rule, despite some gains with the easing of regulations. In 2003 the Worker's Party abdicated the government of Rhynovia and special elections were held under the watchful eye of regional authorities from various nations with interest in the stability of Rhynovia. With the return of democracy, Rhynovia became "The Republic of" and for several years enjoyed economic growth with many foreign investments trickling into the country from throughout the region. However only a few short years did it take to unearth the extreme polarization of the country and through lack of proper authority that the people of Rhynovia enjoyed, the direction of the country was hotly debated and the nation risked being thrown back into political chaos.

Since the inception of Rhynovia as a nation and even to modern times, the culture of the Rhynovian people has been of a very traditional and religious background. The older generations of Rhynovians still remembered the peaceful and benevolent dynasty of the Aristov family. As a sort of cultural phenomenon the legend of the surviving Princess Karina Aristov coupled with growing discontent with the democratically elected government's inaction, a movement known as the Orange Revolution kicked off to enact a democratically initiated regime change and convert the Republic of Rhynovia back to the monarchy. The chaotic nature of tyranny by the majority was against many of the cultural values of the Rhynovian people. Thus after near 2 years of peaceful protests and democratic action, in 2014 the country was returned to the Grand Principality of Rhynovia.

At this time many of the descendants of the countries aristocrats such as various dukes from several regions within Rhynovia were invited back to reform the government. A temporary head of state was appointed in the form of Lord Governor Emil Medved, the Grand Duke of Gornaya. As he oversaw the formation of the new government and the drafting of a bill of rights for the people of Rhynovia, he also set out on the task to find their missing Princess...

* A few things I left blank since I need to discuss with other region members where those events could have happened.

b) What languages are spoken in your nation?: Russian, German, English
c) What ethnic groups are present in your nation?: Mostly Russian/Slavic, Germanic in the western regions.
d) What are the major religions among your population?: Orthodox Christianity (not sure if there is a different name in the canon). This is heavily steeped in cultural tradition and many families in the lower classes are fiercily religious going back centuries.
e) What role do you see your nation fulfilling within the region?: Mid-Tier Scrub, Regional Political Line Walker, Economic pathway from Belisaria to Ocran. Perhaps a player in eastern Belrisian politics.
f) Briefly describe your nation’s military (including size, role, branches, etc.):

1-2% of population. Primarily for defense and power projection out into the Periclean sea to project lanes of trade. Broken into the the Royal Navy which handles coastal protection and power projection into the Periclean sea, the Royal Foreign Expeditionary Forces which is the smallest of the three be encompasses air forces and ground forces used in an expeditionary manner outside of Rhynovia, and the Royal Territorial Army which is a mix of a gendarmerie force and a defensive army.

g) Critically discuss the strengths of your nation (esp. military & economic) and how they may affect existing regional power structures:

Rhynovia sits on the wall between Ocran and Belisaria and features a series of large ports for trade between the continents. Rhynovia also boasts its own exports such as agriculture from its rich farmlands in the northern part of the country, metallurgy from its mines in the mountains, and industrial goods from the larger cities with high populations of skilled craftsmen. It's military suffers from lack of modernization, which the government has identified as a priority to address with arms technology imports from other nations. However it does sit at a strategic position between continents and directly north of the straight of Ahkad (if thats what its called). I do not see it upsetting the balance of power terribly, but it surely sits along the "silk road" of sorts.

h)If asked to reduce the strength of your nation, how would you do so? Reduce the GDP PPP.

IC Geographical/resource
a) What does your nation excel in exporting: Agriculture, minerals, and machinery.
b) What does your nation need to import?: Arms, Oil, Technology, Western Business Practices, Western Education
c) What is your country self sufficient on?: Food production and certain fuels such as coal.
d) What is your preferred location on the regional map? Here. Basically moved the peninsula to the left more to give me a sort of jut down into the ocean and a more interesting coastline. Added a lake near my northern border. Let me know if that works or not.

Regional history
a) Were you recommended to Ajax?: Yes Ghant recommended me.

RPs:

Also you can find a full list of RPs I'm proud of here.
Last edited by Achesia on Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

New Belhavia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Belhavia » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:44 pm

General information
a) Time on Nationstates: March 2012 (as New Belhavia)
b) Previous regions:
  • Tyrrhenia
  • Pardes
  • Cornellian Empire
  • Anterra
c) Other nations:

IC National information
a) Nation's IC name: The Kingdom of Yisrael
b) Nation's IC population: ~20 million
c) Nation's IC GDP per capita: ~$40,000
d) Nation's type of government: Federal presidential constitutional monarchy
e) Nation's head of state: H.R.M. Yaakov II
f) Nation's head of gov’t (if applicable): His Excellency Noah Feldman

IC National information
a) Brief description of your nation: See here: Proposed Yisraeli history timeline
b) What languages are spoken in your nation?: Modern Hebrew, Allamunnic English, and Yiddish
c) What ethnic groups are present in your nation?: Yisraeli Jews, Tarsans (Bakhtars), Allamunnae, Sydalenes, Eaglelanders, Desereti
d) What are the major religions among your population?: Judaism, Fabrian Catholicism, Orthodox Christianity, Church of the Latter Day Saints
e) What role do you see your nation fulfilling within the region?:

My nation fulfills the role of being the holy land. A land that has until recently been fiercely contested over between Yisrael and Sydalon. There are still Sydalene terror groups who attack frequently within the Kingdom. As a result, Yisrael is a rising regional military power but proximity to the BC Great Powers has handicapped its force projection.

Yisrael is a financial and banking powerhouse and tax haven. OOCly, I'd like to do some economic and markets-oriented newsposts to augment the geopolitical newsposts in the newsthread. ICly, me and Fak will have an economic rivalry that will mirror the Basileria-Scipio split.

I'm hoping Yisrael can serve as the archetypical 'crossroads of civilization' and serve as a place for espionage and geopolitical crisis RPs if others are so interested.

f) Briefly describe your nation’s military (including size, role, branches, etc.):

Yisrael has a more unique unified force structure a la RL Israel. The Royal Yisraeli Defense Force consists of the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Border Guard. There is a national conscription service, with a standing army of about 350k troops and a reserve of almost 900k.

Our national defense posture has been until the 2016 Sydalene Revolution geared exclusively to rebuffing Sydalene invasion. Recently, it has expanded to operations in the Pericles Sea and other parts of Scipio.

See above a bit in IC National Information(e). In short, Yisrael is a green navy power constrained by proximity to the BC powers but that has usually triumphed over Sydalene antagonism in the contemporary era. However, historically, Sydalene has held a military upper hand, at one point occupying 80% of Yisrael.

Economically, Yisrael is a global actor whose royal bank and multiple private banks and investment groups have enormous influence across Basileria, Scipia, Norumbia, and beyond.

However, Yisrael's small geographic size, tussle of geopolitical patronage between Arthurista and Tarsas, and terror-afflicted population all limit its ability to project above its size.

Yes, reasonably so. I think I set a fair proportion across the metrics but I'm always open to constructive critique.

IC Geographical/resource
a) What does your nation excel in exporting: Exports include machinery and equipment, software, cut diamonds, agricultural products, chemicals, and financial services.
b) What does your nation need to import?: Imports include raw materials, military equipment, investment goods, rough diamonds, fuels, grain, and consumer goods.
c) What is your country self sufficient on?: Food production, except from grains and beef.
d) What is your preferred location on the regional map? After discussion with Latin and others, I will go under Sydalon to its south.
Regional history
a) Were you recommended to Ajax?: Yes, by Tarsas and Arth

- viewtopic.php?f=5&t=368874&p=27790799#p27790799 (single post)

- viewtopic.php?f=5&t=346878 (full story)

- http://iiwiki.com/wiki/Belhavia (IIwiki)
Last edited by New Belhavia on Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The Empire of Belhavia
National Factbook (IIwiki): Imperial Leadership - Imperial Armed Forces - Foreign Relations - News

[01:56] <NB> Moral of the story: Don't f*** with the NB political machine. We f***in' hustle for our votes...
"My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own...my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny." - Elaine Maxwell
"The historical debate is over. Free market capitalism is the answer." - Thomas Friedman

Kodrat
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Kodrat application!

Postby Kodrat » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:25 am

rip
Last edited by Kodrat on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rytande
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Rytande » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:01 pm

General information
a) Time on Nationstates: Yes
b) Previous regions: Yes
c) Other nations: Yes

IC National information
a) Nation's IC name: Rytander Territory
b) Nation's IC population: 81,462
c) Nation's IC GDP per capital: $80
d) Nation's type of government: Tribal Federation
e) Nation's head of state: Zorion Elurbizarra

IC National information
The Rytander Territory, or Ry-Te or Ryte, is a multilaterally administrated region of Northern Norumbra which is 47% tundra and 48% boreal forest. The population of eight-one thousand is primarily based on the port city of Doan which hosts a joint naval base of Belfras and Ghant. The remaining thirty-thousand are native Rytanders descended from the first major migration of the Ghantar. The modern Ryte grew from the tradition tributary tribes who paid annual fees to Ghantish and Caprican kings. During the industrial revolution, the value of the tributes themselves dropped dramatically, but the Ryte's single ice-free port became and important staging area for Trans-Norumbran trade. The Ryte was established as a multilaterally administered sovereign area by the Norumbra Conference in 1866 which allowed Ghant, Caprica, and Belfras to berth their merchant and military vessels at Doan. Each signatory at the Norumbra Conference has a representative observer from one of the major tribes to represent the interests of the Rytanders.

The Rytanders have been allowed to maintain their native way of life, though there is a constant drain of their would-be growing population to Doan, Caprica, and Ghant. There are twenty-seven distinct languages spoken in the Ryte, but a form of Ghantish is used as the lingua franca between tribes. This utopian time capsule is not, however, without its challenges as the arctic region is searched for oil reserves and age-old rivalries are fought in open warfare between the remaining tribes.
b) What languages are spoken in your nation?: Ghantish, Latin
c) What ethnic groups are present in your nation?: Rytander
d) What are the major religions among your population?: Ghantish Paganism
e) What role do you see your nation fulfilling within the region?: None
f) Briefly describe your nation’s military (including size, role, branches, etc.): Depends on foreign defense forces.
g) Critically discuss the strengths of your nation (esp. military & economic) and how they may affect existing regional power structures: Unlikely to have any impact until the Norumbra-Ochran war of the 2020s.
h)If asked to reduce the strength of your nation, how would you do so?: Remove Doan and have no ice-free ports.

IC Geographical/resource
a) What does your nation excel in exporting: "tribute goods" which are semi-valuable artisan goods of ivory, wood, and bone.
b) What does your nation need to import?: Modern arms, medicine, others
c) What is your country self sufficient on?: Food
d) What is your preferred location on the regional map? The North of Norumbra.

Regional history
a) Were you recommended to Ajax?: Yes

6: Roleplay history Yes
The Righteous Runeright Republics of Rytande
[X]

Bahktar
Envoy

Founded: Mar 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Bahktar » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:15 am

General information
a) Time on Nationstates: About two and a half years, I think.
b) Previous regions:
  • Realism & RP
    Sovereign Charter
    Ixnay (with an alternative account, never did anything really, whoops)
    Arc Earth
    Ordis
c) Other nations:
  • Flauc
    Japhad (defunct)
    Vrijlaand (defunct)
    Some other alts which I do not use and have died since then.

IC National information
a) Nation's IC name: Bahktar Workers' Republic
b) Nation's IC population: 35M
c) Nation's IC GDP per capita: TBD
d) Nation's type of government: federal socialist republic
e) Nation's head of state: TBD
f) Nation's head of gov’t (if applicable): TBD

IC National information
a) Brief description of your nation: The Bahktar Workers’ Republic is a federal, socialist republic in northeast Scipia, bordered only by Tarsas to the north, while sharing a maritime border with Tulura to the south.

The Bahktar Workers’ Republic was established as one of the states during the weak leadership of (?), Tarsas’ Emperor, and is the last state to have seceded from Tarsas as part of the numerous revolutions against Tarsan hegemony in the 19th and 20th century. It's ideology, "Sirelism" was outlined in the "Workers' Manifesto" by Afaf Sirelus, which called for the reform and eventual disintegration of the three classes, two revolutions, the Bahktar and workers' one, one of which seeked democracy and rights for workers and a free, democratic state, while the other called for Bahktar Scipian-wide revolt against their imperialist rulers to establish a unified federal republic.

Politics in the country are very realpolitik wise, as they seek detente and relationships with the monarchies for their own benefit, the BWR realizing that world wide revolution would never happen and that it is better to build relationships. At the same time, the Workers' Radical Party calls for support of revolution and for more aggressive policy against Tarsas, but the WRP is never in the government because it is seen as an "pariah" party.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13lm ... sp=sharing

More can be read here, namely about the revolt, although some things must be updated, namely the name, 'Arab' must be changed to 'Bahktar' and some other things must be added, but it's a more in depth explanation, especially about the initial revolt and first years of the BWR.

b) What languages are spoken in your nation?: Ajjad, Tarsan among other languages from the numerous Bahktar ethnic groups.
Not sure yet, but I'd believe it to be approximately this.

20% Tarsan
40% Ajjad
40% other Bahktar ethnic groups

d) What are the major religions among your population?: Whichever religion Tarsas practices would be mostly practiced among the ethnic Tarsan population, while the rest of the population would be mostly atheist, but religious organizations are not banned.

e) What role do you see your nation fulfilling within the region?: I am tired of explaining again after I accidentally deleted my whole application (whoops :clap:) but it'd be moreso as, at most, Scipian power, but mostly a northeast Scipian power, seeking to counterweight Tarsas, which it will probably try to do. It will mostly seek diplomatic, not military solutions.

f) Briefly describe your nation’s military (including size, role, branches, etc.): The Workers' Defense Front or whatever I decide to call it would be focused on a professional army, with a large reserve kept in case of war or emergency. Two-year conscription is mandatory in the country and makes up most of the large reserve forces. The largest concern of the BWR is Tarsas to the north, as such, most military movements and actions focus on countering Tarsas and to defend the country from a possible invasion from Tarsas. I am not sure how large the military would be, but I believe I would be able to compare it to the military of South Korea, which is also bordering a country which it deems a large threat to it's independence and self determination.

g) Critically discuss the strengths of your nation (esp. military & economic) and how they may affect existing regional power structures: I believe my country would be economically strong, the BWR would have a formidable military but it's navy would mostly be brown-water despite having a large coastline.

h)If asked to reduce the strength of your nation, how would you do so? I would talk with regional members to debate balance and the country itself, most likely I'd reduce my population and other things if the region asks for it.

IC Geographical/resource
a) What does your nation excel in exporting: Natural gas, military industry, perhaps other things, industrial equipment?
b) What does your nation need to import?: Oil, other things as well which will be needed to be figured out.
c) What is your country self sufficient on?: I am not sure if I would be dependent on agriculture as the modern BWR was an agriculturally heavy nation before the Industrial Revolution, but it is possible this has changed massively as there is a massive industrialization and urbanization period in the modern BWR during the Industrial Revolution and I might need to import food.
d) What is your preferred location on the regional map? Tzittasia, as I am.. Tzittasia :P

Regional history
No.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=426565
scroll down.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=386283
Last edited by Bahktar on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kustaykukunaquchapi
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kustaykukunaquchapi » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:43 pm

New Application for Kayamuca-Empire-Successor-State

General information
a) Time on Nationstates: First nation created in December of 2013. (Forgot about my first nation)
b) Previous regions: Ixnay, Atlas, Septentrion, Aeneas, Ordis, Estrya, to name a few.
c) Other nations: I have no other functioning nations except those in this application.

IC National information
a) Nation's IC name: Ayeli
b) Nation's IC population: 381,366
c) Nation's IC GDP per capita: 14,103
d) Nation's type of government: Imperial Parliamentary Monarchy
e) Nation's head of state: (Wiyuhi) Atohi
f) Nation's head of gov’t (if applicable): (same)

IC National information
b) What languages are spoken in your nation?: Cherokee, Muscogee, as well as other minor recognized (neighboring) languages.
c) What ethnic groups are present in your nation?: Wutagawi (Cherokee), Ceheciske (Muscogee), Runakuna (Inca), etc.
d) What are the major religions among your population?: Ancient spiritualism still practiced. All other forms of religion are banned.
e) What role do you see your nation fulfilling within the region?: Ayeli will be a source of tension between the other major countries of the region, often angering Belfras and Mutul, nations they see incompatible with the "global standard" - mainly due to historical tensions and current disputes. Kustakuna tries to protect Ayeli and maintain its sovereignty, if only to avoid further responsibility for its citizens should the social order collapse in Ayeli. In return, Ayeli offers nothing to the world, often preferring to antagonize any unsuspecting foreign dignitary at the risk of global isolation and/or consequences.
f) Briefly describe your nation’s military (including size, role, branches, etc.): Pathetic, in short. If anything, the military power of Ayeli would be described as a glorified police force, focusing on social order rather than any form of defense or aggression against the international community. Ayeli often relies on Kustakuna for such matters, and will regularly request military intervention in large scale social uprisings or trade conflicts between groups within Ayeli's EEZ.
g) Critically discuss the strengths of your nation (esp. military & economic) and how they may affect existing regional power structures: Redundant.
h)If asked to reduce the strength of your nation, how would you do so? I'm not sure how I could!

IC Geographical/resource
a) What does your nation excel in exporting: Precious metals, especially those integral to computing components. Not enough to fulfill any significant portion of global demand, but enough to sustain a large sector of the national economy. Otherwise, there is no major industry that exports out of Ayeli.
b) What does your nation need to import?: Quite a few things, mostly wood, oil, finished technological and mechanical products, as well as basic foodstuffs that cannot be grown on Ayeli, mostly fruits and vegetables, since the soil cannot sustain many types of them.
c) What is your country self sufficient on?: Much of the diet on Ayeli consists of seafood, various nuts, chickens/eggs, some vegetables, and grains.
d) What is your preferred location on the regional map?: North of Kustakuna, East of Belfras - all the unclaimed islands.

Edit to Kustakuna

IC National information
a) Nation's IC name: Kustaykukunaquchapi (Commonly known as Kustakuna)
b) Nation's IC population: 5,258,213
c) Nation's type of government: Federal Parliamentary Constitutional Republic
d) Nation's head of state: President Amaru c. Mayta
e) Nation's head of gov’t (if applicable): Chancellor Raimea u. Yanamayu

Litorea
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Litorea » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:30 pm

General information
a) Time on Nationstates: I've been on NS in various iterations since 2009, though intermittently. The most recent semi-developed nations I've played as have been Cata Larga, since 2011-2012 until 2015 or so, and Litorea ever since, with lots of change over the years.
b) Previous regions:
  • Esquarium (as Cata Larga in 2013/14, later as Litorea in 2017)
  • Pardes (as Cata Larga, 2014/15)
c) Other nations:
  • Cata Larga - Also a post-colonial nation, albeit colonized by a private trading company rather than a government. Had a directorial republican government, and was much more comparable to Venetian colonies had they gotten independence as a united federation than what Litorea is, a post-colonial multiethnic settler state.

IC National information
a) Nation's IC name:
    Litorean Union (Short form: Litorea)
b) Nation's IC population:
    90-150 million range. Older iteration had a population of 170 million, but I think that's too big for the wide open, sparsely populated country feel I want Litorea to have.
c) Nation's IC GDP per capita:
    US$7,089.12, with room for change.
d) Nation's type of government:
    Litorea is a federal de facto semi-presidential constitutional republic. The head of state, the President-General, is directly popularly elected, and the (de facto) head of government, the Minister of the Union, is appointed by the President-General and approved by the legislature. The Litorean Union in its current form consists of republics, districts, and native authorities forming the nation's sub-national divisions. All of these division types function essentially identically; the difference between republics and native authorities is purely historical and demographic, with the former descending from the milieu of different republics that were formed immediately after independence and the latter being formed after a constitutional convention in the early 1960s between white elites and black nationalists. Districts are officially directly administered by the Union government, but are usually granted a measure of self-determination similar to both republics and native authorities nevertheless. Uniquely, since the native authorities were given exclusive rights to determine their own form of government so long as they respected democratic principles, some (small) areas of Litorea are essentially native constitutional monarchies under the authority of a federal democracy.
e) Nation's head of state:
    The President-General of the Litorean Union - as outlined above, he is directly elected by the people and holds executive authority. Name will be given once a colonizer culture is settled on.
f) Nation's head of gov’t (if applicable):
    Constitutionally, the positions of head of government and head of state are consolidated in the President-General, but de facto the role of head of government is delegated to the Minister of the Union, an appointed cabinet position. Again, name will be given once colonizer culture is settled.
IC National information
    Litorea is a post-colonial multiethnic democracy, albeit one which gained independence a decent while back and one which is highly dysfunctional. The land was originally colonized in the late 16th or early 17th centuries, and gained its independence in the early to mid 19th century. However, this independence was not as a unified nation, but as a mess of feuding independent republics with no sense of cohesive national identity. The decades after independence were characterized by intense competition and warring between the republics and a mass expansion into the hinterlands of the continent as a result, due to everything from competition between the republics to a desire on the part of many Litoreans to escape the constant warring to shared anxieties about native black tribes.

The country would eventually unite as the Litorean Confederation by the late 19th century, perhaps due to the pressures of colonialism, but nation-building was difficult, and the efforts to unite the white republics would eventually cause an uprising in the 1920s. Uneasy peace continued until the 1950s, when racial aspirations among the country's blacks began to push the country to the brink of civil war. An attempted coup in the late 50s would mobilize the formerly neutral colored populations into political activism, and by the early 1960s both whites and blacks were at the negotiating table, resulting in the Litorean Confederation being reformed into the Litorean Union. What followed was a mass program of technocratic modernization, including the construction of a new national capital, and a default soon afterwards. Despite the formation of the Union, racial disparities between whites, blacks, and coloreds are still gargantuan, and qualities of life vary between near-first world in white areas of major coastal cities to facing every stumbling block to development except warfare in the poverty-stricken black areas of the countryside. Many blacks resorted to terrorism as a means of redress, and in the 1970s and 1980s car bombings were disturbingly frequent. The situation has since calmed, but several terrorist splinter cells remain active on much-reduced scales, and the base grievances are still very much a reality.

Geographically, Litorea is a beefy country - not Russia-sized by any means, but certainly big, albeit sparsely populated and with much of that land being desert, rainforest, or wide savannahs mostly useful only for ranching and mining. Most of the population would be concentrated on the coasts or in the few inland urban centers, with urbanization rapidly increasing as the country continues to properly industrialize. The aforementioned wide, open landscapes give rise to a long pioneer tradition, and cowboy analogues are not an uncommon sight. This environmental diversity would also give rise to great biological diversity, which serves as a great tourist magnet, though this is being increasingly threatened by industrialization. "Beefy" is indeed the right word - livestock and other foodstuffs are a major economic sector thanks to the vast interior, and though it isn't nearly as major as it once was, ranching interests dictated the paths of Litorean expansion on several occasions and ranchers have always had the most animosity towards native interests.

Litorea is culturally highly liberal and highly diverse - democracy is considered a cornerstone of society, gun ownership is somewhat common (especially among whites and coloreds in the hinterlands), and most Litoreans are proud of their national heritage. Litoreans are likewise very personally diverse, with coastal dwellers being stereotypically lackadaisical and carefree and ranchers in the hinterlands being more dour, even downright grim. Nevertheless, all are united in their love of sport, food, individualism, and good weather. Despite this sunny veneer, dysfunction is everywhere in the country. Corruption is rampant at all levels of government, crime is severe and rising, and even the nation's technocratic capital is now choked with pollution and car traffic. Inequality is astronomical and rising, even within white communities, a trend which accelerates as the country industrializes and begins diversifying from its traditional mainstays of ranching, mining, and ship tendering.

With its large population and larger physical size, Litorea could probably become a power on a continental level if it got its act together, but there are many, many barriers to any effective reform and even beneficial assets like foreign investment could aggravate class and racial conflict. Every mine collapse and factory strike aggravates black nationalists further and every black nationalist demonstration piques the suspicion of whites further. A moderate-yet-flamboyant, neoliberal black nationalist has recently won the position of President-General off of the colored vote, but white distrust is still rampant and several black nationalists feel the President-General has betrayed their ideals and are mobilizing an opposition within his own party. The man himself has a strong will, but this might not be enough to reform and unite the country and make it a serious contender in its global neighborhood.
b) What languages are spoken in your nation?:
    Litorea would ideally be a Romance nation - prior iterations had Litorea as a Spanish-speaking country, but Italian would also work fine. This Romance language would essentially serve as a lingua franca and national official language. However, dozens on dozens of other languages would also be spoken in the country, mostly native Scipian but also creoles, pidgins, and perhaps even other overseas languages from immigrant communities and colonial holdovers. Of the black native languages, the most spoken would likely be Hausa, Igbo, and Yoruba.
    Ethnicity in Litorea's mostly examined through the lens of three groups - whites, coloreds, and blacks. These populations form roughly 30, 30, and 40 percent of the population, respectively. Also present are non-white immigrants, and various other groupings of different ethnicity. Out of these groups, whites are broadly Romance with some elements hailing from different white countries, while blacks are mostly Hausa, Igbo, and Yoruba, or rather the non-RL equivalents of them. Coloreds are fairly self-explanatory - the result of miscegenation between white settlers and blacks, and have traditionally played an important role in the politics of the nation due to serving as a sort of moderating force - both whites and blacks need colored votes in order to achieve their aims. The strictness of these ethnic distinctions have been breaking down over the years, however, especially due to industrialization and due to the election of the moderate black nationalist President-General. Political loyalties vary among all these ethnic groups, and a white voting for the black nationalist party isn't unheard of at all.
d) What are the major religions among your population?:
    Litorea is broadly Christian. The predominant sect would be that of the colonizing power. However, regardless Litorea would have much more variety in these sects than the motherland due to immigration and syncretism with native faiths - this could be a possible cause of conflict between the mother country and Litorea. Native religions would also have a major presence, perhaps as much as 20% of the population. Smaller numbers of other religions would also be present, due to immigration and bleedover from neighboring countries. Irreligion would have a presence, but a relatively minor one.
e) What role do you see your nation fulfilling within the region?:
    The Litorean government would very much like to have a go at becoming a continental hegemon, but its industrial base is atrophic and its internal situation is absolutely bonkers. As a result, Litorea's game is more about fostering its potential to grow rather than actually exercising any measure of power. Litorea has a large population, ample resources, and room to grow, but none of that can actually be capitalized on with its lack of sufficient industry and intrinsic political dysfunction. Expect the government to try and woo foreign investors and build the country up as a destination for outsourced jobs, especially with the President-General's neoliberalism. Enough reforms and industrial growth could easily turn the country into an economic tiger, but tiger economies also mean giant bubbles, and a popped bubble on such a scale would send Litorea right back into the gutter. Nevertheless, Litorea would have much to offer speculators with its cheap labor, ample resources, and business-friendly government. Beware, though - labor strikes and political demonstrations seem to happen every Tuesday in most factories.

In terms of international power blocs, Litorea would mostly go its own way with strong drifts towards democratic, capitalistic countries. Litorea's government and people are wary of international entanglement, and centuries of conflict with most of its then-tribal neighbors means that Litorea has a somewhat inherent distrust of the foreigner. In any case, Litorea has no capacity in the slightest to engage with affairs outside of the continent beyond strongly worded letters. The President-General is more interventionist than the Litorean norm, partially due to ideological fervor, but mostly simply because Litorea has a dearth of fossil fuels and a lack of some heavy metals which it badly requires to fuel its industrial ambition. The Union is naturally rich, but not autarchic in the slightest. However, Litorea has a resoundingly... middling military to back that interventionist rhetoric. Hence, the Union would gladly settle for advantageous trade deals with rich foreign oligarchs to kickstart its industry and import all the consumer and heavy industrial goods it needs in the meantime.
    The Litorean armed forces are... okay. They do fine work defending Litorea's borders but have zero experience abroad and are using imported equipment dating from the 1960s and 1970s. Litorea at the moment can only rely on its native industry for small arms and some automotive assets. Size-wise, the armed forces combined would be about 700,000 strong. Conscription is Litorea is completely and utterly dysfunctional; the law is a holdover from the Confederation era which allowed republics to determine their own draft laws, meaning draft dodging is as simple as crossing an internal border. Most of the country's military strength is focused on the army and particularly its light infantry. The Navy is a disgrace compared to most other countries - even coastal defense can be a stretch of resources for it. The Air Force performs admirably, but likewise uses equipment from the 60s and 70s and is quite atrophic size-wise As the country industrializes, expect military strength to build, particularly in the Navy and Air Force.

(Note: The military is the part of nation-building I'm weakest at, so any advice would be genuinely welcome.)
    As already mentioned, Litorea is about potential, not actual power. In its current state Litorea might not even have the strength and will to affect power structures on Scipia, let alone the world in general. Its impact on the world would mostly be through economic attraction and eventually becoming a rapidly growing and industrializing country, one that could offer an in to the continent to any interested powers. If Litorea were to begin the long, hard road of resolving its internal differences and properly building an industrial base, the flamboyance and interventionism of its President-General could become an interesting flashpoint on the continent. But that's quite far down the line, and as it stands Litorea's main impact on world affairs would be to serve as a sort of pie-in-the-sky.
    Most likely, I would take a population reduction below 100 million, as long as I stay relatively close. I feel that the GDP per capita is already quite low and can't go much lower without jeopardizing Litorea's ready-to-industrialize stance.

IC Geographical/resource
    Foodstuffs and raw materials of all kinds. Beef, lamb, chicken, pork, Mediterranean crops, bauxite, copper, and to lesser extents uranium, tin, zinc, and other such heavy earth metals. Litorea especially has a rich and vast ranching tradition, so expect excellence in that regard. Forestry, however, is lacking, as is fishery goods - two of the exceptions to the abundance of raw materials.
    Most forms of industrial goods are in very high demand in Litorea, especially consumer goods. Heavy machinery, consumer electronics, and other such products would find a market in Litorea. Litorea also badly needs to import fossil fuels and other energy sources to fuel its nascent industry. Iron, surprisingly, isn't as abundant as expected in Litorea and imports of that metal would be needed to fuel this industrial growth as well.
c) What is your country self sufficient on?:
    Litorea is self-sustaining on foodstuffs, hands down. There are most likely more cows than people in several Litorean districts.
    A wide swath of land in the south of Scipia, something like this - not final at all. Honestly, I was hoping to possibly hack at the coastline some, so I could keep this sort of general shape without getting too blob-ish. As long as I'm big enough to have a low pop density for the population and keep the whole countryside feel, I'm good.

Regional history
    Nope, this is all me looking around for a decent MT region.

Litorea
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Litorea » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:48 am

Litorea wrote:[snip]

Addendum: I've changed the claim a bit - mainly, I've expanded the northern border so that it meets with Arkoenn and hacked at the coastline so there's now a bight in the central Litorean coast. The new ideal claim can be found here - changes to refine it can be made as needed, in case I do get accepted.
Last edited by Litorea on Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Transnapastain
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Transnapastain » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:31 pm

General information
a) Time on Nationstates: Uhhh, like 2002? Came back in 2012 after a 5 year vacation. This is my main account, I'll make a sub account under my nations name if accepted.
b) Previous regions:
  • Terra Firma
  • Pardes
  • Anterra (but only for a minute)
c) Other nations:

IC National information
a) Nation's IC name: The Republic of Nekor
b) Nation's IC population: 6.8 million
c) Nation's IC GDP per capita: 395 billion nominal / 58,088 per capita
d) Nation's type of government: Federal parliamentary semi-direct democracy
e) Nation's head of state: Kristina Anderle
f) Nation's head of gov’t (if applicable): The office of the president is also the head of governemt

IC National information
a) Brief description of your nation: See here: Out of character here. I'm not interested in playing a nation with any real military power at this point. I like to write cultural articles and RP characters. I did a lot of culture work when I was in Pardes, but didnt get to RP it much. I enjoy doing fictional movies, books and television shows, as well as actors and actresses and music. You can see some of my work here. I'm interested in being an exporter of cultural in the region, and working with others to integrate their celebrities and musicians into my own to get a really unique world stage. In addition, I would thin that tourism, some finished goods, and maybe some heavy metals like steel, copper, and such would be my primary exports. Beyond this, I'm looking at a Slavic Switzerland basically, fiercely neutral, has a competent defense force and is fairly mountainous to aid in that defense.
b) What languages are spoken in your nation?: Czech is native, given that I'm interested in promoting and exporting culture, the languages of my neighbors and of the world which I'm informed is Latina, would also be common in addition to English and French
c) What ethnic groups are present in your nation?: Again, Czech are native, but given that we welcome all people, and I'd like to think that people would like to immigrate here, you'd probably find a little of everything in Nekor
d) What are the major religions among your population?: I'd really need to know the lay of land I settle in before I can answer this. Nekor does not have its own indigenous language that'll be important to its formation. I'll mold this around my neighbors and world trends.
e) What role do you see your nation fulfilling within the region?: As stated above, a minor exporter of goods and a major exporter of cultural significance.

A small, competent defense force consisting of a land force, air force and littoral naval vessels. No combat projection. I'll state that we would support international military peacekeeping operations as part of a larger alliance if the political situation permits, but we would never be the aggressors.

Economy isn't bad, as you can see, the population of Necor does well for themselves on average but not extravagantly. Being a center for tourism and an out putter of movies and music is also lucrative.

We'd need to important some necessities like food, fuel and finished goods. You tell me how that might effect the regions balance, I'm willing to play ball.

Yes, but I don't see how lil ole us could possibly be overpowered

IC Geographical/resource
a) What does your nation excel in exporting: Aside from culture, as stated, steel and other base metals, some finished goods. Beer?
b) What does your nation need to import?: Food, fuel and finished goods. Hardly self-sufficient
c) What is your country self sufficient on?: Metals and beer?
d) What is your preferred location on the regional map? So, I looked at the map and had a brief discussion, I'd like the unclaimed area on Belisaria between Estonia and Rabinovska would be nice. Honestly, I dont even need all of it as long as I have some coast but I figured its small enough that, if I didnt take it all, who would ant the rest?

Regional history
a) Were you recommended to Ajax?: Not technically, as the person who recommended me is not yet a member, but several members, including NB, and Im sure Arth, Tarsas and Belf, would vouch for me as I have been in regions with them.

- Matters of Blood as Temuair

- Here is a list of RPs going back to 2013

- This is the IIwiki catagory for my Pardes nation of Temuair
Last edited by Transnapastain on Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neustria-Debrecen
Civilian

Founded: Apr 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Neustria-Debrecen » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:17 pm

General information
a) Time on Nationstates: Maybe three years in total? I was active around 2011, and then 2016-2017.
b) Previous regions:
  • Xanadu
  • Western Colonies
c) Other nations:
  • Larbitius

IC National information
a) Nation's IC name: The Federal Union of Neustria-Debrecen
b) Nation's IC population: 63 708 211
c) Nation's IC GDP per capita: $33 518 (nominal). I imagine it would be lower by PPP.
d) Nation's type of government: Parliamentary Republic
e) Nation's head of state: Provisional Chancellor Stefan Legrand
f) Nation's head of gov’t (if applicable): The Chancellorship combines both positions into one.

IC National information
The two major ethnic groups of Neustria-Debrecen are, unsurprisingly, the Neustrians and the Debreceni, two groups with a long history of enmity. Under the Neustrian monarchy, Debreceni were brutally oppressed in the 1700s before being allowed increasing powers of self-government before a popular independence movement in Debrecen was met by a massacre from the Royal Gendarmes. When the People's Revolution came in the early 1900s, overthrowing King Robert V, the south became embroiled in a conflict between Communists, would-be usurpers, Republicans, and various other malcontents. Sensing opportunity, the Debreceni crushed the last remnants of imperial authority in the north and marched south to Haute-Valence, where a truce was struck with the Neustrian Communist Movement to grant greater autonomy to Debrecen. While Neustrian in name, the true power behind what later become the Neustrian Communist Party was Debreceni military and diplomatic personnel, who quickly took control of the south and then the newly-formed parliament.

Under the NCP, Neustria-Debrecen was finally reoriented into a true union of equals. The Party's ethnic makeup was reflective of the slight majority Debreceni held in population, and nationalization of private enterprise was begun in earnest. Purges were carried out of nobility and other upper classes. The NCP saw to the rapid industrialization of the south, which had largely relied on the labour of Debrecen prior to the revolution. The increased number of jobs placated the Neustrian population, which was fearful of reprisal after centuries of oppression, but it seemed that the Debreceni had decided on practicality rather than retribution. The newly minted People's Republic withdrew from international affairs, determined to perfect its own strain of Communist administration, thinking that a worldwide worker's revolution would come soon, and would need an experienced nation to guide it into the new age.

Political dissent was harshly clamped down on with political opponents sent to penal camps in the Northern Reaches. While the People's Republic had begun very promisingly, the deaths of the original generation of revolutionaries kicked off the first of what was to be several succession crises. While the First Crisis passed after a diplomatic settlement was reached, the infighting of the Second Crisis crippled Party leadership in responding to a catastrophic famine in Eastern Neustria that killed hundreds of thousands. Humiliatingly, the People's Republic had no choice but to accept limited food aid from capitalist dogs. The discovery of various heavy metals also produced an agonizing dilemma for the Party. While bound by constitution not to trade away the "natural treasures of the nation", especially not to the capitalists, the mineral trade represented an extremely lucrative new industry for the Party to develop . Thus a red line was crossed and the Third Crisis resulted in the anti-revisionist hardliners being purged from the ranks and sent to die in the Northern Reaches. As global demand for rare earth minerals increased, the Party found that those mining operations had become economically viable and also extremely profitable to boot. Special Economic Zones were declared where the mineral trade was to be carried out.

The Party collapsed in 2018, when a series of resignations and retirements crippled its ability to govern as party chiefs increasingly were drawn to the Special Economic Zones to work as middlemen between foreign demand and domestic supply. The new breed of hardliner, the so-called neo-antirevisionists, sought to plug the holes left by the resignations and claim control of the Party but it was too late, as defections from the Party for private industry continued unabated. The People's Premier, Laszlo Moreau, was forced to dissolve the People's Parliament and was Provisional Chancellor of the new National Parliament for exactly one session to convene it before appointing Stefan Legrand as his successor, a compromise option between the newly developed parties.

So Neustria-Debrecen now stands at a threshold. Having never held free elections in its history, the legitimacy of the new democracy is vulnerable. Its massive stores of natural resources are up for grabs. For the first time in almost a century, it seeks to deepen and expand diplomatic, economic, and military ties with nations around the world. The collapse of the Party has left a gaping hole at the heart of the nation, and nature abhors a vacuum.

b) What languages are spoken in your nation?: In the south, French. In the north, Hungarian.
c) What ethnic groups are present in your nation?: In the south are the French speaking Neustrians, and in the North are the Hungarian speaking Debreceni. The Neustrians have a much longer history as a unified nation, having been the power base of the old monarchy, whereas the Debreceni were originally formed as a loose coalition to repel Neustrian invasions northwards. However, differences between the two major ethnic groups were somewhat flattened under the Communist project of social and cultural renewal. Particularly, several generations of state atheism have dulled the old conflict between the Catholic-majority Neustrians and the last pagan holdouts in Debreceni lands. The population split is roughly 40/60 between the Neustrians and Debreceni, respectively.
d) What are the major religions among your population?: The south is largely Catholic. For the most part, Christian-majority regions of the north were forcibly converted by Neustrian crusaders and ended up developing a particularly militant sort of ur-Protestantism (similar to the Hussites, as far as RL comparisons go), which was due to political reasons just as much as religious reasons. The rest of the north retains a diverse set of pagan customs and rituals.
e) What role do you see your nation fulfilling within the region?: Emerging from a collapsed planned economy, Neustria-Debrecen has bountiful natural resources to trade as well as a vast amount of state-owned corporations being privatised. As it emerges from an isolationist autarkist stance, many opportunities exist for its neighbours to develop political, military, and economic ties. While the government may have failed due to a lack of faith in the Party's direction, this does not necessarily equate to a peaceful and stable transition into liberal democracy as much of the younger generation hopes. It is possible that foreign actors may have lasting effects on the socio-political landscape going forward.
f) Briefly describe your nation’s military (including size, role, branches, etc.): The current military was forged during a series of skirmishes that resulted from the collapse of the old regime. The Neustrian-Debreceni National Armed Forces stand at 300 000 regulars with a reserve of 35 000. Its branches are composed of a relatively large army, an air force intended primarily to support army operations (i.e. little to no strategic bombing capability), and a navy specialized for arctic conditions. The NDNAF is unsuited for any war of aggression and mostly exists as a defensive force. In the future the NDNAF may be available for international peacekeeping missions. Force projection is not at all a concern of NDNAF command.
g) Critically discuss the strengths of your nation (esp. military & economic) and how they may affect existing regional power structures: The greatest strength of Neustria-Debrecen is its bounty of natural resources and therefore the state-owned mining corporations represent the biggest prize up for grabs during the transition. Militarily, the NDNAF is not a very exceptional force on paper but has been built entirely to the purpose of defending the Union's borders. While not a particularly effective invading force, its raison d'etre is to make foreign aggression into Neustrian-Debreceni soil as costly as possible.
h)If asked to reduce the strength of your nation, how would you do so? Reduce number of regular soldiers, increase internal dissent and conflict, reduce natural resource exports. Possibly make it a landlocked nation.

IC Geographical/resource
a) What does your nation excel in exporting: Rare earth metals, uranium, natural gas, and oil are the most geopolitically relevant, although the mining industry also covers other minerals such as copper and palladium, among others. Due to its isolation, pharmacology in the Union is noticeably different from its neighbours, although the process to approval of drugs for foreign trade is expected to be a very long process. As an example, the basic medicines stocked in most Union psychiatric wards (anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, tranquilizers, and the like) are regarded as research chemicals by most of its neighbours and the Union's doctors have a similar scepticism as to the efficacy of foreign medications.
b) What does your nation need to import?: Consumer goods are an extremely popular import, particularly textiles. Food imports were allowed in the old regime and are now increasing rapidly. What the Union is most eager to import is human capital - scientists hope to break out of the productive but insular atmosphere under the People's State Science Commissions. A current matter of debate is arms imports - while there was a robust national defence industry, popular sentiment is divided on whether that particular state enterprise should stay or go. An acute need for financial services is also felt, as investment banking was hardly an acceptable occupation under the Party but now proves necessary to fund future infrastructure projects.
c) What is your country self sufficient on?: Neustria-Debrecen was self-sufficient on food according to the Communist regime, although most citizens are sceptical of that claim and its present truth is uncertain due to ongoing privatization of agricultural state companies. It is self-sufficient in energy.
d) What is your preferred location on the regional map? North of Vannois, ideally extending to the coast.

Regional history
a) Were you recommended to Ajax?: No

Haute-Valence Free Chronicle
CEO of First National Palladium Company, Jean-Jacques Gagnon Found Dead After Disappearance
A prominent chief of industry who has been missing for six days was found dead on Saturday in the neighbourhood of Sainte-Agathe, his body discovered off a popular path in the North-Northwest People's City Park by a jogger.

M. Gagnon, 53, was first reported missing on Monday. His wife, who had been on a business trip in Central Debrecen, contacted police when she learned that her husband was apparently on sick leave despite being absent from home. While police are not commenting on the case, there is already speculation that the death may have been the result of foul play.

M. Gagnon the citizen was a card-carrying member of the Party in good standing prior to the collapse, although one noted for siding with reformist elements in the Party. After the collapse, he was a prominent member of the Provisional Parliament's Trade Committee. According to his friends, M. Gagnon was a gregarious and kind man who treated his fellow citizens with respect and good humour.

However, this may not tell the whole story. M. Gagnon the CEO was known for making enemies. A source who would speak only on condition of anonymity stated that his support for the Special Economic Zones and economic liberalization had landed him in trouble with the authorities under the People's Republic. In recent months there have been allegations that prominent Party leaders used the chaos of the collapse and ensuing violence to settle scores between different Party factions as well as the increasingly powerful managerial class that controlled state industries. Another source close to a major state-owned mining company described rumours that M. Gagnon had purposely undercut or sabotaged his rivals during trade negotiations after economic liberalization.

In a televised address today, Catherine Moreau, spokesperson for the Party for Progress and Prosperity, demanded a full police investigation of the matter. "For too long," began Mlle. Moreau, "the ruling class has governed with total impunity, destroying the lives of the citizenry on pointless squabbles over party doctrine. The new Neustria-Debrecen cannot be a place where law is merely a suggestion, rather than a rule. The Party for Progress and Prosperity stands against those last remnants of the old order and its many tyrannies. We pledge to you, the citizens of this great nation, that those last holdovers of the old, dark ways will be dragged into the light of a new day, kicking and screaming if necessary."

The address caused immediate controversy in the Provisional Parliament, where Provisional MPs accused P3 of turning a tragedy into an opportunity for self-promotion.

"The fact that a spokesperson could peddle a totally unsubstantiated conspiracy theory right after M. Gagnon's next of kin have been notified of this tragedy is a stain upon the honour of this house," stated Provisional MP Tamás Eötvös, of the Socialist Party. "If they were really concerned about Monsieur Gagnon or his family, they would allow the police to do what they do best - investigate. And they would do so without interfering or trying to turn the investigation into a media circus to score points ahead of the election. I offer my sincerest condolences to Madame Gagnon and pray for her and her family in this trying time."

To many, it seems like this incident has opened a glimpse into the paranoia that many citizens still feel, having been conditioned by midnight raids by the National Police to expect the worst. Every citizen of Neustria-Debrecen has stories to tell of friends and family disappeared by Natpols, only to receive notices that they had died in the penal camps in the Northern Reaches years after the initial disappearance. As the young nation climbs out of decades of brutal repression, it remains to be seen if it can move past its national trauma and truly reinvent itself as a free republic.

Lacus Magni
Diplomat

Postby Lacus Magni » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:36 pm

Achesia: Accepted

New Belhavia: Accepted

Kustaykukunaquchapi for Ayeli: Accepted

Litorea: Accepted

Transnapastain for Nekor: Accepted

Neustria-Debrecen: Accepted
Active Projects

Anikatia
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 02, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Anikatia » Wed May 02, 2018 8:08 am

General information
a) Time on Nationstates: at least 6 years
b) Previous regions:
  • Pardes, Anterra
c) Other nations:
    Anikatia, Kodeshia, Goredemabwa

IC National information
a) Nation's IC name: Democratic People's Arab Republic of Nahlia / The Emirate of Abalessa
b) Nation's IC population: 86,723,778 / 8,239,483
c) Nation's IC GDP per capita: $2,805.12 (nominal)/ $12,700.00 (nominal)
d) Nation's type of government: Officially Democratic (defacto totalitarian dictatorship)/ Unitary parliamentary absolute monarchy
e) Nation's head of state: Supreme Councilor / Emir
f) Nation's head of gov’t (if applicable): Deputy Councilor / Prime Minister

IC National information

a) Brief description of your nation: Nahlia (Arabic: نحليا‎‎ nahalia), officially the Democratic People's Arab Republic of Nahlia, is a sovereign state in North Scipia on the Periclean coast, Nahlia is bordered to the east by Talakh, to the northwest by Abalessa, to the west by Yisrael and to the north by the Periclean Sea. The capital is X. Ancient Nahlia has known many empires and dynasties, including ancient. Nahlia is considered the holy land for Muslims, as it possesses some of the holiest places in Islam, not!Al-Masjid al-Haram (in not!Mecca) and not!Al-Masjid an-Nabawi (in not!Medina). In the Islamic era, Nahlia was the seat of the first Islamic Caliphates that rapidly expanded the territory under Muslim rule beyond Nahlia, conquering huge and unprecedented swathes of territory (from the Nahlia in west to modern day Intermaria in east) in a matter of decades. Nahlia soon became a more politically peripheral region of the Muslim world as the focus shifted to the vast and newly conquered lands.

At its greatest extent, the Gulzar Caliphate (661–850) covered million people and kilometres making it one of the largest empires in history in both area and proportion of the world's population. Arab dynasties, originating from modern-day Nahlia, founded the Alawinat (632–661), Gulzar (661–850), Muzaffar (850–1517) and the Rajha (909–1061) caliphates. Following a series of military setbacks against the Latin Empire expansion of the Caliphate was halted and later pushed back by the rise of the Tarsan Autocracy, Nahlia later became nominally an autonomous vassal state of Tarsas following a series of wars with the empire. The Muzaffar dynasty remained nominally an autonomous vassal state until 1830 when it was declared an Arthuristan protectorate and the title of the head of state was changed to Emperor, to repudiate the vestigial suzerainty of the Tarsan Emperor.

Modern Nahlia dates back to 1860 when it gained nominal independence from the Arthuristan Empire as a monarchy. The short-lived Imperial protectorate regime was widely unpopular and attempts to implement a constitution based on Arthuristan parliamentary system failed to lead to the return to an Islamic monarchy under X dynasty. However, Arthuristan military occupation of Nahlia continued, and as a result ever-increasing nationalist discontent over the occupation, foreign influence, royal corruption, incompetence, political repressions and unrest against with many Nahlians believing that the monarchy was just an instrument of Arthuristan colonialism. Following a popular military coup in 19XX, Nahlia expelled Arthuristan soldiers and bureaucrats and ended Arthuristan occupation, nationalised the Arthuristan-held industries, exiled King Dhikrullah and his family, and declared itself an Islamic socialist republic. Subsequent international sanctions, embargos led periods of social and religious strife and political instability, fighting several armed conflicts with Yisrael and the breakaway region of Abalessa in 1978, 1986, 1997 and 2003. In 1995, Nahlia signed the X Accords recognising Abalessa. The country continues to face challenges from religious fundamentalism, terrorism, political unrest, and economic underdevelopment.

Nahlia is a member of the Association for Islamic Cooperation, the Periclean Forum, and the X. Islam is the official religion of Nahlia and Arabic is its official language. Nahlia has a population of over 36 million inhabitants and is a regional and middle power. The North Scipian country is one of the world's largest oil producer and exporters, controlling one of the world's largest oil reserves. As a result energy exports are the backbone of the economy. Nahlia has one of the largest militaries in Northwestern Scipia with a large defence budget and domestic defence industry; although most of Nahlia's weapons are still imported from abroad.

As the royalist were forced to flee to the more defensible northwestern fertile mountainous region of Abalessa. Things reached a stalemate as both sides were exhausted from the long civil war Arthurista (maybe others help arrange) an uneasy truce and peace was declared with the now independent Abalessa (Arabic: أبلسة ablsa), officially the Emirate of Abalessa. While tension remain and border skirmishes are not uncommon the likelihood of reunification seems unlikely. Now geographically Nahlia would be larger with southern oil fields and indeed most of the nations oil and mineral resources. comprised of a dry and arid deserts climates with sections of mountainous fertile coasts and a defended border with Yisrael. Abalessa, on the other hand, retained most of the fertile agricultural portion of the nation and with advanced investment from its allies like Yisrael has been able to capture vital offshore natural gas supplies.

b) What languages are spoken in your nation?: Arabic is the official language. Although Several modern Arabic dialects are used in everyday life, along with Various Berber languages are spoken among the other tribal minority languages. English and Latin are widely spoken as a second language, but English is more often used.

c) What ethnic groups are present in your nation?: Arabic/Tuareg/Berber/Phoenicians/Jewish/Assyrians/Kurds/Circassians/Punic/Latin/Sydalene/Arthuristan

d) What are the major religions among your population?: Shi'ite/Sunnis/Zensunni/Ibadis/Coptic Christians/Fabrian Catholic/Yazidis/Alawites/Druze/Isma'ilis/Salafis/Mandaeism/Zanirism/Tarsan Paganism/Judaism

e) What role do you see your nation fulfilling within the region?: Well I think my nation(s) can operate as an interesting regional adversary to Yisrael and supporter of socialist and anti-imperialist ideals/some domestic military developments but probably nothing that'd actually challenge any of the major powers / general oil supplier and interesting spot for some espionage and border conflicts particular regarding Nahlia while Abalessa would also allow for some nice cultural aspect, films/magazines/meeting place for rich movie stars and oil sheiks, etc.

- Nahlian People's National Armed Forces

The army would be based on conscription force with some voluntary branches like the elite Republican Guard, it's primary goals would be defensive towards Yisrael and the Abalessian Kingdom of Nahlaya. As such it would have an active force of around something like 0.7% of the population so like 520,342 but with a larger reserve more like 0.8% of the population so like 693,790 reserves for a total of 1,214,132 which is roughly 1.4% of the population.

- Nahlian People's Army (operating a mix of older colonial equipment captured during the civil war and newer stuff some domestically upgraded and produced licence version of stuff)

- Nahlian Republican Guard (elite voluntary branch operating the newest equipment and special forces)

- Nahlian People's Air Force (like the army comprised of a mix of the older colonial era and newer gear from Riet and other communist allies, probably something like some stuff like the Greenwich Tigress and Super Tigress along with some domestically produced versions based upon that, plus some Interceptors, Strikefighters, Recon and CAS/COIN designs. Some newer stuff like the Novi Avion from Estoni although it'd lack an AWACS, strategic bombers.)

- Nahlian People's Navy (either between blue water capability and worse, probably able to operate at best a single amphibious/light carrier ship (carried over from colonial period) along with a few frigates, corvettes and maybe a couple of SKK subs)

- Royal Abalessian Armed Forces

The army would be a professional volunteer army with national service requirement for emergencies, it's primary goals would be defensive towards the Democratic People's Arab Republic of Nahlia. But with allies like Yisrael and others, it would only require an active force of around 1.8% of the population so like 148,311 but with a reserve around 2.5% of the population so like 205,987 million reserves for a total of around 354,298.

- Royal Abalessian Army (would be small professional operating newer equipment from Arthurista and Yisrael, etc.)

- Royal Abalessian Air Force (would also be fairly small but operating 4-4.5+ gen multirole fighters solely without any large AWAC abilities, no long-range bombers or strike aircraft.)

- Royal Abalessian Navy (would mainly operate a brown water navy but a fairly advanced one, with some very modern corvettes and maybe some frigates)

The Democratic People's Arab Republic of Nahlia possesses a heavily resource-reliant economy that has struggled to achieve self-sufficiency but thanks to its resource wealth has managed to maintain a formidable military and domestic arms industry, developing even such relatively sophisticated military hardware as fighter jets (develop prior to civil war with Athuristan assistance under licence), ballistic missiles, airborne radar and chemical and even maybe even a nuclear weapons program possibly jointly developed with Marad and Intermaria. However, there are critical weaknesses and shortcomings. Despite appearing as large and even quite modern, the army has to make do with a mixed fleet of some new and many old venerable equipment that has to be patched up, overhauled and upgraded for use in combat, years after service from the nation's many conflicts. The senior military leadership is riddled with incompetents chosen not for military prowess but for allegiance to Supreme Councillor and only about a third of the huge army's soldiers are experienced, front-line combat troops with so much conscription making up the majority of the forces. When called on for action military has performed poorly against small but more professional forces from Yisrael.

The Emirate of Abalessa operates a much smaller but generally more professional and modernised military, while it is more reliant on trade and imports its vibrant and well-protected economy has allowed it to manage successfully. Nonetheless, the military still suffers from similar issues of corruption and incompetents as King requires absolute loyalty. It would possibly have joint-military efforts with BC nations and or possibly Yisrael.

Yeah, I'm open to reworking things if they need to be reworked.

IC Geographical/resource

Democratic People's Arab Republic of Nahlia

- hydrocarbons (oils, minerals), raw materials, dates, camels, diamonds, etc.

Emirate of Abalessa

- natural gas, wool, cotton, fruits and veg, machinery, textiles, chemicals, etc.

- some military materials (radars, engines, some equipment, etc), foodstuffs, electronic goods, clothing, grains, consumer goods(cars, washing machines, etc)

Emirate of Abalessa

- military equipment, oils, medicine, electronic goods, manufactured goods (cars, washing machines, etc)

c) What is your country self-sufficient on?:

- hydrocarbons (oils, minerals), some raw materials, dates, some military equipment (some tanks, APCs, small arms, some aircraft, and some ships).

Emirate of Abalessa

- natural gas, wool, cotton, dried fruits, grains and textiles.

Proposed Claim
Orange = Emirate of Abalessa
Red = Democratic People's Arab Republic of Nahlia

Regional history
Yes, by Arth and NB

The Price of Sovereignty as Anikatia

The Crossroads of Deceit as Goredemabwa

From Newspost as Anikatia

This is the IIwiki category for my Pardes nation of Anikatia
Last edited by Anikatia on Fri May 18, 2018 6:58 am, edited 7 times in total.
Anikatia
Unity, Peace and Freedom

Anikatian International Trade and Export Corporation
Everything you need aircraft, ships, small arms and vehicles
Storefront of the Month of January 2014

EsToVnIa
Senator

Founded: Jun 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby EsToVnIa » Sun May 06, 2018 3:55 pm

General information
a) Time on Nationstates: November, 2009
b) Previous regions:
  • Pardes
  • Pardes Elion
  • The Cornellian Empire
  • Greater Dienstad

c) Other nations: IC National information
    a) Nation's IC name: Salmanid Empire (Intermarian Empire, Sekharian Empire, and the Ilkhanate are also used)
    b) Nation's IC population: 139,287,400
    c) Nation's IC GDP per capita: $13,715 (nominal); $25,690 (PPP). Please note that this is equatable to real life Russia, which has a nominal GDPpc of $11,946 and a GDPpc (PPP) of $28,957.
    d) Nation's type of government: Unitary Zensunni absolute monarchy
    e) Nation's head of state: Qaysar Shahin Čangiz XVI
    • Qaysar Shahin Čangiz XVI
    • Grand Vizier Hassan Atabalagil
    • Grand Ayatullah Adrius Maximian

IC National information

Intermaria is a unitary, Zensunni absolute monarchy, effectively creating a hereditary autocracy with all executive power vested in the reigning Qaysar. No legislature exists because of this. Instead, the Qaysar is advised by two unofficial governing bodies: the Supreme Twelver Jury and the Great Qurultay. The Supreme Twelver Jury is a religious organ of the top Twelver school clerics, headed by a Grand Ayatullah, whom advise the Qaysar on matters relating to Zensunni law. In addition to this role, the Supreme Twelver Jury acts as the court of last resort for the Empire. The Great Qurultay acts as the de facto legislative body for Intermaria. The body is made up of appointed officials whom propose laws to either or the Supreme Twelver Jury or directly to the Qaysar. Unlike traditional parliaments, the Great Qurultay cannot pass or enforce laws. The Great Qurultay is headed by the Grand Vizier. The Grand Vizier is the top civilian adviser for the Qaysar and de facto acts in a role similar to a Deputy Prime Minister, where the Qaysar serves the role of Prime Minister.

The geographic area of Intermaria has been inhabited by modern humans since the Neolithic Age, who would later develop into early Sekharians, Pontians, and other steppe-dwelling peoples. Scipian Intermaria, referred to as Salmanid Ahkad, would first be inhabited by nomadic Bigani, but would under go extensive colonisation by first the Aradians and then later Eaglelanders and Latins. Salmanid Ahkad would be conquered by the expanding Latin empire in the 9th century. A short-lived independence would be gained in the 10th century before Salmanid Ahkad would be conquered by the emerging Tarsan Empire. While Ochranian Sekharia, known as Sekharia Proper, would remain de jure independent, it was a de facto protectorate under the Tarsan polity. This arrangement would remain in effect until the 13th century, when Ochranian Sekharia would be conquered by the Qitan Khaganate in 1271.

Intermaria would remain under Qitan control for the next 100 years until the death of Jungsai Khan in 1371. The ensuing succession crisis from 1372-1379 would ultimately see the Qitan controlled Sekharia, known as the Ilkhanate, became functionally independent. The stability of the Ilkhanate would again promote East-West Trade between Belisaria-Scipia and Ochran, and would oversee the exchange of cultures and philosophies. It was during this time when the foundation of Zensunni would appear as Muslim merchants from Scipia would bring with them the Yisraeli-Christian texts detailing the life of Muhammed, interpreted by the Buddhist Qitan-elite as Buddha. In 1451, Ogodei Khan would convert to Zensunni, renaming himself Mohammed in honour of Mohammed/Buddha. Forced conversions would see Zensunnism become the dominant religion of the Ilkhanate by the turn of the century, although special provisions were given to both Christians and Jews. Successive military defeats over the course of the 17th century gave rise to an increasingly radicalised Zensunni sect known as the Twelver school. Attempts to suppress the Twelver school throughout 17th century ultimately failed and civil war broke out in 1677. The Twelver school and its followers would be victorious in 1683 and Grand Ayatullah Kharim Reza Ali-Abdi, an ethnic Sekharian, would proclaim himself Padishah, thus forming the Salmanid Dynasty.

The united Salmanid polity would launch a renewed assault on the still Tarsan-controlled Ahkad. The First Sekho-Tarsan War (1713-1715) would see the west bank of the [not!Gibraltar] conquered. The capture of the historic city of Traiana in 1715 would see the adoption of the Latin title Qaysar by Kharim Reza Padishah. Subsequent Zensunni conquests would see the majority of Scipian Intermaria reclaimed by the 19th century. Complete Salmanid control of Scipian Intermaria would be short-lived, as native revolts and Tarsan interventions of the area would see Salmanid control slowly erode away until only the north coast would remain. The rise of perceived Belisarian nationalism via the formation of the Belisarian Community alongside renewed Tarsan animosity would give way to a revival of Salmanid nationalism and suppression of non-Zensunni followers.
b) What languages are spoken in your nation?: Sekharian is the official language (defined here by being the court language and liturgical). Latin, Greek, and various Ahkadian languages (including Persane) are spoken to varying degrees with Latin undoubtedly used as the lingua franca.
c) What ethnic groups are present in your nation?: Intermaria is considered to be an Ahkadoscipian nation and is predominantly inhabited by Ahkadoscipian peoples. Sekharians are the largest and most favoured ethnic group, but the nation is by no means homogeneous, as it is inhabited by Latin, Eaglelanders, Bakhtar, and Ahkadian minorities. Ethnic tensions between the Sekharian ruling class and these minorities have historically transpired into outright revolts, and although Bakhtars and Arkoennites have enjoyed increased freedoms and rights since the late-1800s, Latins and Eaglelanders remain largely ostracised and discriminated against, largely through religion.
d) What are the major religions among your population?: Zensunnism (also, more pejoratively, called “Buddislam”) is the official state religion and Intermarian laws require all citizens be Zensunni/Muslim. While non-Zensunni religions are permissible, public worship of them is explicitly banned. Proselytizing by non-Zensunni/Muslim, including the distribution of non-Zensunni religious materials such as Bibles, is illegal.
e) What role do you see your nation fulfilling within the region?: Historically, Intermaria would experience various periods of waxing and waning influence over northern Scipia. As the home of the !Kaaba, the !Prophet’s Mosque, and the !Al-Aqsa Mosque, contemporary Intermaria would use this to maintain considerable influence over other Muslim states in Scipia. In terms of power projection, this would give Intermaria a degree of soft power. Ideally, Intermaria would have the same influence/relevance as real life “CIVET” nations due to having a middle income economy and fair sized military. Inherent discrimination of Christians would also lead to tensions with the BC/Christiandom. In summation, Intermaria would serve as the much needed rival to the BC.
f) Briefly describe your nation’s military (including size, role, branches, etc.): The Salmanid Armed Forces consists of five branches: Army, Navy, Air Force, Strategic Rocket Force, and Janissary Corps. The military has limited power projection, but modernisation programmes are currently enacted to change this. These programmes have notably seen the navy transition from a brown-water force to a green-water, with plans underway to construct Intermaria’s first aircraft carrier. Additionally, the nation has a fledgling nuclear programme that would have become known to the rest of the region following tests in 2015 and confirmed with subsequent tests in 2016, and 2017.
g) Critically discuss the strengths of your nation (esp. military & economic) and how they may affect existing regional power structures: As a strong middle income economy, Intermaria possesses a large amount of human capital that contribute to the manufacturing of cheap manufactured goods and luxury goods. Strong soft power, particularly over other Muslim nations in the region, would allow it to, varying degrees of success, influence said nations. Intermaria would also be constructing mosques in other nations, similar to real life middle eastern nations. These mosques would be proselytising the Twelver School, which for intents and purposes would serve as the region’s Wahhabism equivalent.

The nation is not without its flaws, however, as ethnic tensions exist between the Ahkadoscipian ruling class and the Belisarian minorities. Historically, race riots were common but emmigration of minorities to Tarsas, Ahkad, and elsewhere have mitigated this. Internally, although the Qaysar holds supreme power, there is rising conflict between the current Qaysar, Shahin Changiz, and the Supreme Twelver Jury.
h)If asked to reduce the strength of your nation, how would you do so? I would be willing to lower the population, however I am reluctant to lower it below 110 million as I feel this would not make its role as effective.
IC Geographical/resource
a) What does your nation excel in exporting: Hydrocarbons, rare earth elements, cheap consumer goods, luxury goods, uranium and other heavy metals, and agricultural products
b) What does your nation need to import?: Rare earth elements, consumer goods, luxury goods, pharmaceutical goods, and agricultural products
c) What is your country self sufficient on?: Hydrocarbons and agricultural products
d) What is your preferred location on the regional map? Claim. “Finium” has given permission over discord for the modification of his existing map claim. Screenshots of said permission can be given should the need arise.
Regional history
a) Were you recommended to Ajax?: Yes, by Ghant.
6: Roleplay history RP post
News post
Incomplete IIwiki example
Most Heavenly State/Khamgiin Tengerleg Uls

Weeaboo Gassing Land wrote:Also, rev up the gas chambers.

The United States of North Amerigo wrote:CUNT

12:02:02 AM <Tarsas> premislyd is my spirit animal tbh

Marad1
Civil Servant

Founded: May 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marad1 » Sat May 12, 2018 8:25 pm

This is a re-app of a previous concept.

General information
a) Time on Nationstates: Too long
b) Previous regions:
  • region A
c) Other nations: Ecclesiastical State

IC National information
a) Nation's IC name: United Islamic State of Marad
b) Nation's IC population: 68,554,123
c) Nation's IC GDP per capita: $6,802
d) Nation's type of government: Semi-Absolutist dominat-party theocracy
e) Nation's head of state: Supreme Custodian Ibrahim Ali Nasr
f) Nation's head of gov’t (if applicable): Supreme Custodian Ibrahim Ali Nasr - Secretary of State Yusef Abdullah Mekdad

IC National information
a) Brief description of your nation: Shi'ite Islamic theocracy in central norther Scipia. Throughout the 20th century it was crippled by political instability, multiple coups, revolutions and incompetent strong-men. In the 1990s a nascent democracy emerged, which while saw great prospects after its creation suffered from corruption, weak institutions and the rise of religious-infused populism by the Cleric establishment. A revolving door of governments began in the late 1990s, resulting in crippling strikes, disgruntled military officers and rising tension with the clerics. This culminated in 2001 with a military-cleric led uprising known as the Great Awakening, that overthrew the democratic government and replaced it with a theocracy under the Supreme Custodian. Since, Marad has slowly developed and poverty has been reduced, while internal tensions between the theocracy, a lingering democratic opposition and minorities has resulted in sporadic outbursts of violence, which has in turn forced the slow militarisation of the government and the implementation of a police state.
b) What languages are spoken in your nation?: Arabic, Hebrew, Syriac, Hellenic and Berber
c) What ethnic groups are present in your nation?: Arabic, Assyrians, Hellenics, Berbers, Bedouin, Yazidi
d) What are the major religions among your population?: Shi'ite Islam, Sunni Islam, Zensunni Islam, Coptic Christianity, Yazidism, Mandaeism, Druze, Tarsan Paganism and Judaism
e) What role do you see your nation fulfilling within the region?: Its role would primarily be constricted to northern Scipia and perhaps southern Belisaria, it would be the balance to Paganism in eastern Scipia and the Judaism and Catholic nations in western Scipia, while being a general spoiler to peace and stability in Scipia.
f) Briefly describe your nation’s military (including size, role, branches, etc.): The armed forces of Marad are collectively and formally known as the Islamic Forces for Liberation and Resistance, it consists of the Islamic Army for Liberation and Resistance, Islamic Navy for Liberation and Resistance, the Islamic Air Force for Liberation and Resistance and the Popular Islamic Revolutionary Protection Force. The IFLR has an estimated strength of 386,000 active personnel and 1.3 million reserve personnel. In 2018, Marad's military spending represented 3.6% of the GDP, at $16.78 billion.

Since the 2001 Revolution, tense relations with the Belisarian Community dramatically hindered the country's continued planned acquisition of modern and advanced equipment, which began under the democratic regime. As a result, the Maradian military has resorted to importing weapons and systems from more friendly states such as Estoni and Rietumimark, while also expanding its own domestic weapons industry. Since 2001, the domestic producers have seen solid growth in output and quality, seeing Marad develop its own weapons, tanks, armoured vehicles, aircraft, naval vessels, air defence systems and ballistic missiles.

The role of the military has evolved to include internal security, government control, national security and offensive actions against perceived enemies. Generally speaking it is a large force, though inferior in terms of technology and quality for the most-part, which is balanced by a focus on training, discipline and asymmetrical warfare. Though its strengths lay in its relatively well-mechanised land branches, its anti-air capabilities and its growing ballistic and theatre missile program. It is also working to deploy a greater number of land-based anti-naval missiles to interdict enemy navies and shipping in the Periclean.

g) Critically discuss the strengths of your nation (esp. military & economic) and how they may affect existing regional power structures: It's strengths lay in its large and relatively strong and capable military, its large reserves of oil and natural gas and small but potent non-oil industrial sector, while poorer than most major powers in Ajax, it could theoretically be classified as a capable regional power in Scipia. It's focus on education and eradication of illiteracy gives it a strong potential for future growth and development through an educated population.
h)If asked to reduce the strength of your nation, how would you do so?: Would reduce the prevalence of petrochemicals, but since its poverty-stricken and one of the poorest in Ajax per-capita wise, I think its strengths still fall below most established nations in Scipia and Ajax at large.

IC Geographical/resource
a) What does your nation excel in exporting: Oil, gas, small manufactured goods, pharmaceuticals, other cheap crap.
b) What does your nation need to import?: Machinery, high-end manufactured goods, armaments, electronics (computers and other hi-tech modern stuff), some foodstuffs
c) What is your country self sufficient on?: Energy, some basic foodstuffs, armaments to some extent

Regional history
a) Were you recommended to Ajax?: Showed Latin

6: Roleplay history - Impossible
Last edited by Marad1 on Sat May 12, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arthurista
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Arthurista » Tue May 15, 2018 10:10 am

NOTE: The DDPR is already on the map as an NPC/alt. In the interest of due process, I'll set out the concept here anyway.

IC National information
a) Nation's IC name: Dannenburg Democratic People's Republic (Dannenburger Demokratische Volksrepublik )
b) Nation's IC population: 15.7 million
c) Nation's IC GDP per capita: $6,052 (nominal), $15,063 (PPP)
d) Nation's type of government: One-party socialist republic (de jure), totalitarian military junta (de facto)
e) Nation's head of state: General Secretary Gustav Ehrenstein

IC National information
a) Brief description of your nation: Dannenburg is a small, landlocked state in central Belisaria, wedged between Vannois to the south, Rietumimark to the north and Neustria to the west. It has a predominantly German-speaking population with a significant Rietumish and a small Vannoisien minority.

The origins of the Dannenburger state is lost in the mists of time. The earliest historical records alluding to the Duchy (‘Herzogtum’) of Dannenburg were dated to the 11th-century. For generations, the Dukes of Dannenburg had to play a delicate balancing exercise, flitting between its more powerful neighbours in terms of feudal vassalage in order to maintain a semblance of independence.

The Duchy industrialised rapidly in the 19th-century, with the discovery of huge deposits of high quality coal within its borders. The dominating image of Dannenburg in this period were its enormous open pit mines and steel mills. In the early- to mid-20th century, rival communist and fascist factions struggled for control as the small duchy lurched from crisis to crisis attempting to deal with the social impact of industrialisation and economic mismanagement. However, despite the sporadic outbreak of political violence, the country never quite descended into civil war.

In 1963, Duke Dagobert IV and his immediate family were assassinated by a car bomb. Without a clear legitimate successor (as a result of Salic Law), Chancellor Mathias von Ehrenstein declared a state of emergency, with himself taking the monarch’s place as head of state with the title of ‘Regent’. Although the constitutional façade was preserved, Parliament was indefinitely prorogued and the nation became a de facto dictatorship. Von Ehrenstein applied Dannenburg’s skills at balancing in the realm of internal policy. A rapid series of nationalisation, the implementation of widespread welfare reforms and the encouragement of nationalism ensured the loyalties of the working classes, whilst continued support for small businesses and conservative religious policies bought the loyalty of the middle class.

In the foreign policy arena, von Ehrenstein continued to maintain cordial relations with both South Rietumimark and Vannois. At the same time, in order to ensure independence in security matters, he pursued a military modernisation program by importing weapons from Ozolinist North Rietumimark, shamelessly parlaying his regime’s pro-working class credentials in order to obtain military aid.

Von Ehrenstein died in 1986 and, with him, the façade of political and economic stability rapidly weakened. The success of his programs were backstopped by a pile of rapidly increasing debt and, as genuine parliamentary democracy returned in 1987 following a brief transitional period, the debt mountain became unsustainable. The result was austerity as the nation went cap-in-hand to beg for assistance from the BC and other developed nations. Living standards rapidly declined and confidence in the new democratic government collapsed.

In 1993, the Dannenburg Workers’ Party, previously banned by the Hochheimer regime, staged a series of general strikes which paralysed the government and the economy. When the government attempted to order police and army units to forcefully disperse demonstrators, they refused orders and joined the protestors. One week later, parliament was stormed by a mob, ministers and parliamentarians were placed under arrest or else fled in exile, and an Ozolinist republic was declared.

Whilst initially popular, the relative isolation of Dannenburg resulting from the revolution meant that fundamental economic issues could not be resolved within a short timeframe. Whilst the debt pile was unilaterally written-off and the economy was thoroughly nationalised, fundamental economic problems remained unresolved and living standards failed to improve. Finally, in 2014, General Gustav Ehrenstein, grandson of Mathias (the 'von' nobiliary particle had been conspicuously dropped in the intervening years), of the Dannenburg People’s Army led a military coup, citing widespread official corruption as his justification. This was followed by a widespread purge, which led to the arrest and execution of large numbers of government official. As of 2018, Dannenburg Workers’ Party and its state security machinery have been completely subordinated to the National Defence Council, which rules the country as a de facto military junta.

b) What languages are spoken in your nation?: German, Rietumish, Vannoisien
c) What ethnic groups are present in your nation?: See above
d) What are the major religions among your population?: Officially secular. Adherents of Catholic, Orthodox and Jewish religions can be found in various pockets.
e) What role do you see your nation fulfilling within the region?: A staunch ally of fellow Ozolinist/socialist states, Danneburg sees itself as a bastion of proletariat power threatened by the imperialist/capitalist forces of the Belisarian Community. Its combination of small size, competent armed forces and belligerency creates significant scope for interesting geopolitical play.

The Dannenburger Volksarmee ('DVA'), or 'Dannenburg People's Army', consists of roughly 155,000 troops, manned by conscription. Militarism permeates throughout every aspect of national life and as a result the regime can mobilise a great proportion of the country's population.

Compared to the armies of Rietumimark and Estoni, the DVA does not possess the cutting-edge technology of the former's elite formations, and lacks the manpower of either. It compensates for these deficiencies through a focus on, training, leadership and discipline, as well as political reliability and loyalty to the tenets of 'Revolutionary Ozolinism'. The DVA is characterised by its combat readiness, the professionalism of its officer corps and the low rate of defections among its senior personnel.

The principle standing land formations of the DVA consists of six divisions in two armies, each with one Tank Division (Panzerdivision), two Motor Rifle Divisions (Motorisierte-Schützen-Division) two independent artillery brigades and an independent air defence brigade. It also has at its disposal the Air Assault Command ('Luftsturmkommando') of roughly 1,500 personnel in three battalions, trained in airborne and commando operations.

In times of war, the army's strength may double by mobilising reservists and arming them with old equipment stored away for such an eventuality. In total, these reserve forces consist of four Motor Rifle Divisions, four Independent Tank Regiments and five Independent Artillery Regiments.

The DVA's air units are not regarded as a separate arm of service. This is because they are conceptualised as operating in close conjunction in support of land operations. Its elite regiments operate a number of 4.5-generation Estoni multirole fighters, although the majority of its active and reserve units utilise legacy fixed-wing fighter and attack aircraft, as well as helicopters. Likewise, the DVA's air defence formations are considered to be part and parcel of the army, divided between mobile short-ranged weapons designed to defend army units from air attack, as well as a smaller number of medium- and long-ranged missile batteries intended to protect strategic areas.

The DVA is not the only military or para-military units the Dannenburg regime has at its disposal:

* The Interior Ministry commands eighteen battalions of Border Troops, configured to operate as light infantry in wartime and armed with small arms, anti-tank weapons and mortars.

* The Ministry of State Security (i.e. the secret police) commands the 'Revolution' Rifle Division (Schützen-Division 'Revolution'), tasked with guarding the capital city from 'counter-revolutionary activity'. It is well-trained, but modestly equipped with heavy weapons.

* The 'Workers' Militia' ('Volksmiliz') is a paramilitary system organised on a municipal level, equipped with light weapons.

g) Critically discuss the strengths of your nation (esp. military & economic) and how they may affect existing regional power structures: See above re the military and geopolitical aspect, and below for

IC Geographical/resource
a) What does your nation excel in exporting: Dannenburg is a major energy exporter. From the 19th-century, Dannenburg has been known for its vast deposits of high-grade coal, including anthracite. The nation had also leveraged upon its coal reserves to build up a major steel industry, characterised by high quality and low production costs.

The majority of Dannenburg’s workers are employed in the mining and heavy industries. It is also known for its manufactured products in certain odd niche areas, such as lenses and optical equipment, some categories of pharmaceuticals, industrial chemicals and some consumer appliances and electronics.

b) What does your nation need to import?: Liquid fuel, electronics, food, high-end consumer products
c) What is your country self sufficient on?: Energy
d) What is your preferred location on the regional map? Already on map

Regional history
a) Were you recommended to Ajax?: N/A

Last edited by Arthurista on Tue May 15, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Western Confederation
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Confederation » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:48 pm

General information
a) Time on Nationstates: approx 10 years
b) Previous regions:
  • Pardes
c) Other nations:n/a

IC National information
a) Nation's IC name: Arcadian Confederacy
b) Nation's IC population: 41,000,000
c) Nation's IC GDP per capita: 39,000.00
d) Nation's type of government: Confederal Constitutional Republic
e) Nation's head of state: Milo T. Dopulis
f) Nation's head of gov’t (if applicable): Milo T. Dopulis

IC National information
a) Brief description of your nation: Arcadia is a western hemisphere Latin country that labels itself as a bastion of liberty. Institutionalizing a de-facto laisez-faire economic state that is run through a presidential democratic system. Over the years from the Latin settlements all the way to its declaration of independence from Belfras, Arcadia has been a cesspool of migrants from Belisaria, most notably Arthurista.

Arcadia seeks to strengthen its ties with neighbouring countries, a proponent of realpolitik as well as seeking greater cooperation with NATA countries through frequent military exercises. It also puts international law in high regard, condemning misconduct by, what it calls, 'tyrannical states'. The key foreign policy is to protect Arcadia, its allies and its core vital interests.
b) What languages are spoken in your nation?: Latin and Hellenic (de facto)
c) What ethnic groups are present in your nation?: Latins, Hellenes and Arthuristans.
d) What are the major religions among your population?: Fabrian Catholicism
e) What role do you see your nation fulfilling within the region?: An active role of trade and tightening relations with international nations that suit its national interest.
f) Briefly describe your nation’s military (including size, role, branches, etc.): The defense forces count a total of 189,000 active personnel and an additional 105,000 in reserves, which amounts to 0.4% of the total population. The army has the largest chunk of the active manpower followed by the navy, the air force in that order. Arcadia's military expenditure totaled to roughly 2.2% of the GDP in 2016.
g) Critically discuss the strengths of your nation (esp. military & economic) and how they may affect existing regional power structures: If in anyway shape or form these figures are undesirable by the rest of the community I will change such accordingly.
h)If asked to reduce the strength of your nation, how would you do so? I would do so accordingly.

IC Geographical/resource
a) What does your nation excel in exporting: Services
b) What does your nation need to import?: Oil, Iron, Zinc
c) What is your country self sufficient on?: Cobalt, foodstock
d) What is your preferred location on the regional map? Western hemisphere, the unclaimed land north of Belfras and west of the United States.

Regional history
a) Were you recommended to Ajax?: No, but I have RPed with multiple people within the region and it's a great community with intertwined minds.
https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=258414
https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=368874
Last edited by Western Confederation on Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kustakuna
Civilian

Founded: Mar 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kustakuna » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:00 pm

Kustakuna reporting in!

IC National information
a) Nation's IC name: Maesan (매산)
b) Nation's IC population: 76,536,000
c) Nation's IC GDP per capita: $37,235
d) Nation's type of government: Constitutional Technocracy
e) Nation's head of state: President Moon Su-Jeong (문수정)
f) Nation's head of gov’t (if applicable): Director Son Min-Soo (손민수)

IC National information
a) Brief description of your nation: Maesan is a relatively new nation, gaining its independence in 1893 after the Tsurushiman Technocratic Revolution as the expelled plutocrats brokered a treaty with the victorious rebels to occupy the Maesan Province. However, the plutocratic regime suffered from social unrest and localized rebellions, which would later give way to outright declarations of independence by several cities in the country in 1922. After a war fought by the Free Cities against the plutocrats, in which the Cities received the support of the East Ochran Technate, Maesan became a technocratic republic in 1924. The plutocrats surrendered much of their wealth and holdings to the new government, which allowed Maesan to invest heavily in its economy and infrastructure.

Nearly 100 years later, Maesan profits from the turmoil of its early history, owing its success to the plutocrats' wealth and the careful managing of the technocratic government. Infrastructure is kept as modern as possible, and various economic sectors flourish with investment and incentives. Over half of Maesan's population lives in the twenty largest cities, the urbanization rate is over 90%, and much of the population lives just kilometers away from the coast. Due to the high population and urbanization rate, there are the expected stresses on infrastructure and demographic collapse concerns, although these are well managed at the moment.

The countryside of Maesan consists largely of small community farms and well preserved national parks, most of which surround the three largest mountainous areas. These mountainous areas are home to many varieties of flora and fauna, as well as frequent geologic activity including volcanic eruptions and associated earth tremors.

b) What languages are spoken in your nation?: The national and official language is Maesanese, also known as Korean.
c) What ethnic groups are present in your nation?: Maesan is home to a majority population of Koreans, although it hosts a large minority of ethnic Tsuru as a result of the former plutocratic regime. Other groups present in Maesan are very small, but come from all over the world and live throughout the country.
d) What are the major religions among your population?: Maesan has no official religion, and most of its population practice Confucianism as a way of life. However, freedom of religion is guaranteed by the Constitution, and several large religious groups are present in the country. Separation of Church and State is strictly enforced.
e) What role do you see your nation fulfilling within the region?: Maesan will be another weight on the scale to tip the focus and favor toward East Ochran, assisting Tsurushima and Arkoenn in establishing that region of the world as a leading global power. As its own sovereign state, Maesan is focused on innovations in all areas of society, technology, and life - owing its strive for such goals to its status as a well established Confucian technocracy. Apart from this, Maesan will partner with international organizations based on space exploration and settlement as well as humanitarian aid to developing countries and poor regions.
f) Briefly describe your nation’s military (including size, role, branches, etc.): Estimated military size is about 7.3 servicemen per 1000 people in reserve and 2.2 active duty soldiers per 1000 people. The estimated total budget allocation is 2.6% of total GDP. (As usual, I am not proficient in military matters, so please excuse me for a significant lack of information and/or realism.)
g) Critically discuss the strengths of your nation (esp. military & economic) and how they may affect existing regional power structures: Please refer to part E.
h)If asked to reduce the strength of your nation, how would you do so? While I believe that the population and GDP statistics may be considered high, they paint an appropriate picture of Maesan - a smaller, highly populated country that is economically and technologically robust. However, if necessary, I will be willing to tone these stats down if the effect can still be achieved.

IC Geographical/resource
a) What does your nation excel in exporting: Technology, medicine, banking services, rare goods connected to East Ochran.
b) What does your nation need to import?: Food, and lots of it. Most will come from Tsurushima and Arkoenn.
c) What is your country self sufficient on?: The things that it exports, as well as energy consumption - what it does not generate with oil and gas, it will generate with domestic solar, wind, geothermal, nuclear, and hydroelectric energy throughout the country.
d) What is your preferred location on the regional map? North of Tsurushima, on the coast. Map is here.
Last edited by Kustakuna on Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:04 pm

General information
a) Time on Nationstates: 14 years.
b) Previous regions: -
  • region A
c) Other nations: Rhynovia

Haikadia
IC National information
b) Nation's IC population: 67 Million
c) Nation's IC GDP per capita: 35,000$ (2.345 trillion)
d) Nation's type of government: Directorial Republic
e) Nation's head of state: The Fourth Council (5 member executive council consisting of the 5 heads of the 5 departments of the Haikadian government. Together they act as the head of government and state of Haikadia. These councilors are elected by the Diet of Haikadia.)
f) Nation's head of gov’t (if applicable): The Fourth Council (5 member executive council consisting of the 5 heads of the 5 departments of the Haikadian government. Together they act as the head of government and state of Haikadia. These councilors are elected by the Diet of Haikadia.)

IC National information
a) Brief description of your nation: Haikadia is a libertarian-minded republic with technocratic reforms in the north eastern portion of Ocran. For most of its history it had been apart of the Tsurushiman province of Maesan until XXXX it gained independence during the fall of the shoganate. It was at this time a workers rebellion in northern Maesan province lead by a farmer Benao Tanaka succeeded in expelling shogunate forces and taking control of most of the province's agricultural areas. This new faction following Tanaka's political teachings of "Haikade" meaning "High Position" refused to join the new republican government as their new ideology of Haikade was founded on stringent independence not only of their new state from Tsuru and Maesan but of its people from the government. This culture of Haikade is so rooted in its people that it created among the primarily ethnic Tsurushiman and Korean people a new self proclaimed ethnicity known as "Haikadian" as they now refuse to subjugate themselves to the yoke of a foreign culture or moniker.

Today Haikadia has enjoyed the successes of its limited government in the fact that its limited corporate regulation has attracted many business to grow within the nation as well as bringing foreign businesses to invest in it. The people of Haikadia enjoy a life of plentiful jobs in the agriculture, fishing, technology, and auto manufacturing sectors where little income tax is levied by the government. The government of Haikadia is also limited to a small portion of functions such as common defense, enforcement of laws, and health. Education for instance, is independent of the government and is regulated and organized at the community level. The people of Haikadia demand control over more aspects of their lives and exhibiting the teachings of Haikade are cautious of the government's encroachment on this control. The "communities" as they are referred to are jealous and guarded about any sort of government interference or mindfulness in these matters. This cautious and jealous attitude of the Haikadian people has lead to 3 civil wars since the 17th century where the government in power was overthrown due to what was viewed as an overstep of its power outside the teachings of Haikade.

The maritime tradition of the Haikadian people is found within many aspects of the country such as its large fishing industry, fleets of trade vessels based in Haikadia due to it's low taxes and tariffs, and skilled maritime workforce.

With this libertarian mindset, the portion of Haikadia on the mainland of Ocran to the west grows ever resentful of being apart of eastern Haikadia, leading to tension within the political affairs of the state and constant grappling for what little power the government does have. While even the smallest encroachment of favor showed to either eastern or western Haikadia sparks a feud between the two, little has driven the two sides farther than a mere upset in political dialog.

Technocratic reforms in other nations of Ocran have begun to influence the practices of the Haikadian people from education to government. (To be expanded upon later while I work these sort of details out with Kust and Finn and Hawk).

b) What languages are spoken in your nation?: Tsurushiman dialect of Benao and Maesanese
c) What ethnic groups are present in your nation?: Haikadian, Tsurushiman, Maesanese, and some smaller groups as well.
d) What are the major religions among your population?: No offical religion is recognized by the state as Haikade ideology strictly prohibits government involvement in spirituality. Many practice Confucianism, Shinto, or Taoism.
e) What role do you see your nation fulfilling within the region?: Haikadia is a fiercely independent culture that allows for a safe harbor for corporate and private entities to operate with little interference from the government making it a blossom of trade in Ocran. Haikadian people are reluctant members of the Harmonious Covenant as it is largely viewed as foreign interference in Haikadian affairs. Yet it is also understood to necessary to the growth and prosperity of the nation within the region by those who are educated.
f) Briefly describe your nation’s military (including size, role, branches, etc.): The military of Haikadia is unique in the world as the limitations the principles of Haikade has placed upon it, shaping the way it can form and operate. Haikade strictly forbids the military from being used against the people of Haikadia and thus only a national and maritime defense role is considered for it's forces. Haikade also cautions the growth and consolidation of military power by the government against the people, and encourages that armies not be formed needlessly. Thus, there is no standing Army in the Haikadian military, only a Air Force and Navy are allowed in times of peace. An organized militia of military aged citizens is instead in place, all males between the ages of 18-44 are required to register, receive training, and attended musters annual in their local communities. This militia is used in times of war but also for disaster relief. It what many outsiders view as a contradiction of principles, Haikade also teaches that to defend one's nation a people must project their military power in defending their interests. This is often interrupted and used as a reason to bolster the impressive naval force that is ingrained in the tradition of Haikadia. The Haikadian Navy is often forward deployed to defend trade lanes, project military power aboard where the Third Counsel sees fit, or defending the coastal and waterway areas of the nation.
g) Critically discuss the strengths of your nation (esp. military & economic) and how they may affect existing regional power structures: Military strengths would be the impressive navy which is large for a nation of Haikadia's size, mainly because it does not have a standing army to spend money on, nor is the Air Force used for much outside the boarders of Haikadia.
Economic strengths come in one of the largest agricultural markets in Ocran, feeding several nations with its exports. Technology as many of the other Ocran nations is also a booming market that has seen much growth in the 21st century, leveraging much of the skill and infrastructure of the traditionally large machinery and automobile sectors.
h)If asked to reduce the strength of your nation, how would you do so? Would most likely give up the whole western Haikadia bit, it was suggested to me to be a bit interesting with regards to the libertarian aspect of the culture and that division. Could also reduce population but id like to keep it higher since it is "not!asia" and it's not like we have many nations out this way anyways, plus I'd suppose we need more asians in Ajax.

IC Geographical/resource
a) What does your nation excel in exporting: Agriculture, Technology, Automobiles (anyone need a Mazda?)
b) What does your nation need to import?: Certain technologies, consumer goods.
c) What is your country self sufficient on?: Food, naval power, sea-trade infrastructure.
d) What is your preferred location on the regional map? here

Regional history
a) Were you recommended to Ajax?: already here, Rhynovia.

6: Roleplay history Ya'll know me.
Last edited by Achesia on Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information